Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell ❯ Flagger Ahead ( Chapter 66 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell - 66/?

~~~~~

Warnings: AU, yaoi, coarse language, violence, angst, cliffhangers, red herrings, mention of various vices, random bits of useless knowledge, occasionally explicit sex, enough footnotes to choke an army of horses.

Spoilers: Nah

Disclaimer: I don't really need to be Captain Obvious here, do I? No ownership, no money being made, yadda yadda. Written for fun, not profit.

Pairings to date: 2x1x2, 3+4, 4x3, 5+M/5xM, 9+6, past 2xH, past 4x1

Archived at:
http://www.atsui.org
http://sweetlysour.net
http://theforsa kenwk.com
http://www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

Edulcorate (verb) - To free from harshness (as of attitude); to soften

~~~~~

Chapter 66 - Flagger Ahead

"...just for a moment, I reach out and hope you're still there." - Miles Away, Winger

~~~~~

Duo's breath caught in his throat at the sound of Heero's voice a split second before he realized that it was a recorded prompt. When it came time to actually leave a message, he couldn't do it.

He hadn't seen Heero since he'd gone out of his way to push the other man away. He sure as hell didn't want the first thing he said to Heero to be via voice mail.

He'd try again later. Perhaps, if he continued being unsuccessful at reaching Heero, he'd leave a message, but at the moment, it was enough that he knew the number he had was in service. It wasn't that he'd doubted Quatre; it was more a lingering pessimism, a fear of once again being so close and yet still having an insurmountable distance between them.

He shook himself free of the negative thoughts. He'd overcome obstacles many times before. This wasn't any different.

Except for that blasted fear, of course.

~~~~~

Although Noin had known Zechs was in a meeting with Wufei Chang, she was unprepared for the rush of emotion at seeing him again. The last time she'd seen him, it had been as a favor to Relena. This time she was there on business, but had her own personal agenda.


The stakes were much higher.

When she entered the conference room, she had a sense of deja vu, except that they were expecting her this time, and there was a third person present. After introductions were made, Chang offered to speak to her privately. She steadfastly ignored the ice blue eyes boring into her back as she followed the dark-haired man to his office.

The interview, although she hardly considered it one, took almost no time at all. Wufei didn't trust Dermail any farther than he could throw him, but he admitted that was because he'd known few people who didn't hold revenge in high regard.

However, he did admit that, although he didn't doubt Duke Dermail's weakness and lack of morals, he wasn't entirely convinced that the man would stoop to backing an illegal drug laboratory.

She didn't press the issue, recognizing the frustration Chang was unable to conceal. He hated not having the answers, and she knew from their last meeting he was not a very patient man.

Welcome to my world, she thought bitterly.

"I would like to speak to Mister Peacecraft, if I may."

He stood up when she did. "I can accompany you," he said, looking at her appraisingly, "or you are welcome to return to the conference room on your own."

"I've taken enough of your time," she nodded. "I appreciate your candor."

"I have little respect for liars," he said. "I wish you luck in your investigation, Agent Noin."

She'd reached the door to his office when he cleared his throat.

"Mister Chang?"

"Your partner," he said slowly.

"Heero is currently following another lead. You do understand I cannot discuss the case with you."

"Of course."

"Something on your mind, Mister Chang?"

He sighed heavily. "Nothing that concerns you. You do understand that I, too, must protect the interests of those who have placed their trust in me."

"I'm glad we understand one another," she agreed.

Zechs was glaring at a rather smug looking Meiran Long when Noin returned to the conference room. Meiran seemed the type of person who wasn't afraid to pull any punches. From what Noin knew of Wufei Chang, they were certainly well matched.

Meiran exuded courtesy as she bade farewell to Zechs, and she smiled at Noin as she reached the doorway where the agent was leaning. Meiran paused, her dark eyes searching Noin's in a way that made the taller woman feel slightly uncomfortable. Meiran said quietly, "I know that you are not here to speak with me, but let me give you a bit of advice. Devotion is not easily shed, and the desire to protect is natural when someone cares."

She waited for Noin to acknowledge her words with a nod, then swept past her, presumably, Noin assumed, to join her husband.

As soon as she was alone in the room with Zechs, he surprised her by speaking first. "Before I answer any questions, Noin, tell me one thing. Why you?"

"You know Treize," she said. "It seemed best to approach him as a friend."

"How much of this has to do with Duke Dermail, really, Noin?"

"That's what I hope to find out," she said calmly.

"Have you ever considered marriage, Noin?"

He was trying to catch her off guard. She stilled her rapidly beating heart and said tightly, "that's irrelevant to my reason for being here."

"Is it?" he asked, turning to face her fully. Had he been wearing his usual arrogant expression, she would have been able to remind herself that this was just an informal information gathering.

"Yes," she said quietly, not sure which question she was answering.

He was silent. They remained standing, staring at each other, and when his arm started to lift slightly, she realized they were much closer to one another than they'd been when he'd first asked her that question.

"Lucrezia Noin," he murmured, letting his arm drop back to his side. "Would you change your name if you got married?"

"That's a moot point," she said.

"Hypothetically speaking."

She wanted to tell him to stop toying with her, but he'd asked for it. If they were going to play this game, she'd give him the truth.

"No," she said. "I would not. If I ever intended to have children, then perhaps I would, but no. My name is part of my identity."

She would swear he almost smiled. "It's part of your charm, Noin, how stubborn you are. And yes, I do realize that's the pot calling the kettle black. I can't imagine thinking of you by any other name, Noin, but it would never change who you are."

"Perhaps if I were to get married some day, my husband would change his name instead."

She expected him to look at her as if she'd lost her mind, but he seemed amused. It should have annoyed her to no end, but his amusement didn't make her feel like a child.

"I think you should trust Treize, in this case," he said finally.

"Why don't you tell me what you think," she countered. "If you want to help me, Zechs, then you'll stop beating around the bush."

"Let me buy you lunch," he said. Before her temper snapped, he added, "and while we enjoy each other's company, I will answer any questions you have regarding Duke Dermail or any of my new partners to the best of my ability."

She hesitated.

"Noin," he said. "Trust me."

She wanted to turn tail and flee, wanted to escape the feelings he stirred in her with those words, especially when he added softly, "as I do you."

"It will cost you," she said.

"It will be worth every penny."

She nodded, and with that, he held out his arm for her. She accepted it hesitantly. The warmth of his arm still had the power of making her heart accelerate.

Trust, she mused as they left the conference room.

Trust, she mused as they entered the elevator.

"Zechs," she said, as they reached his car. He unlocked her door and opened it for her.

"I do trust you." Their eyes met, and she murmured softly, "as much as I trust Yuy."

Don't prove me wrong, she pleaded with him silently as he started the car.

~~~~~

"Your skin is starting to pale, Yuy."

"No, it's not," he said in a clipped voice, standing stock still as another agent carefully applied a layer of liquid surgical adhesive to his outer thigh before carefully positioning the transmitter. The surveillance technician held the device in place and nodded to his partner, who was seated at the controls of the wireless receiver. She placed her headphones on and flipped a few switches to check the transmission.

The make-up artist sighed. "I wish you'd agreed to let me touch up your complexion, at least."

"No. If I perspire, it will be obvious that I'm wearing cosmetics."

"We could have used some waterproof..." she trailed off, seeing that there would be no convincing him. If his skin tone had lightened significantly, she'd have pressed the issue earlier, but truthfully, his color was holding up rather well, although if this assignment were prolonged, he'd have to go into the booth for another application of polarized particles. As it was, he hadn't been exactly thrilled the first time.

Receiving a nod from the seated agent, the one crouched in front of Heero tore off a piece of tape. Once the wire was in place, the make-up artist went to work on Heero's back and arm, checked his ear, and pronounced his appearance acceptable before handing him a small plastic case.

Heero inserted the contact lenses and blinked a few times to insure that they were firmly in place.

"Sotto voce, Yuy."

Heero murmured quietly. The agent checking the audio frowned and made an adjustment. He repeated the phrase and received a nod and a thumbs-up.

"Crystal clear. It's show time," she told him.

He got out of the van, adjusted the gold watch on his wrist, and took a few deep breaths to get into character before he ambled down the street and toward his destination.


He was getting mightily sick of that bar, and if he never set foot in it ever again, it would be too soon.

~~~~~

Duo turned off his phone and set it carefully on the nightstand. He'd tried calling Heero just twice more. Obviously Heero was unavailable.

Part of him wanted to call Quatre. He was sure that his new partner would somehow be able to soothe the irrational fear he felt. Duo did not like being afraid of anything.

He frowned as he turned off the bedside lamp. He was acting a bit like an infatuated teenaged girl, and that had to stop. He pulled the sheet up under his chin and took a few calming breaths.

Perhaps he could count sheep to fall asleep. Sometimes the most ridiculous methods for addressing insomnia were also the most effective.

Except his mind instead continued to dwell on the very person responsible for his sleeplessness.

Tomorrow, he reassured himself several times. Tomorrow's another day.

~~~~~

Heero was bone tired by the time he got home. He wanted to kill the person who had started the fight at the bar. He was so damned close he could taste it. He was on the verge of getting the dealer to make the offer when the beer bottle was shattered on the table next to them and brandished like a weapon.

It took every ounce of control he had to keep from putting his hand-to-hand combat skills to the test. He'd slunk out of there, looking appropriately nervous and fearful of getting caught as the person he was supposed to be would, all while pretending otherwise. A role within a role. Those who didn't know Heero well would never think him capable of being anything other than blunt and forthcoming, but he'd managed to play many a part, quite convincingly. Noin was one of the few people who could see through his attempts at keeping himself distanced.

He'd been in a foul mood as he made his way back to the van, although if nothing else, the video feed from the wristwatch seemed to be working well. He wished that device precluded the need for the concealed transmitter, but it was foolhardy to put all one's faith in a single piece of technology.

He was inclined to agree with the surveillance team that the dealer was ready to take the bait. Once they had enough evidence to arrest him, which they would as soon as he made Heero the offer, then the real trial would begin. The interrogation.

Heero itched to get his hands on the drug and have it sent to the lab for analysis. It had to be the same one that Sally Po had been investigating.

He unlocked the door to his apartment and kicked the shoes immediately. He headed straight for the bathroom, eager to scrub at the traces of adhesive and solvent on his skin, eager to wash the scent of the bar from his hair. It always felt like it seeped into every pore - not just the smoke, but the atmosphere.

The cologne he wore as part of his cover was not anything he'd have chosen for himself. It was pricey and designed to attract attention. It was part of the signature of his fake identity, along with the way he dressed and the mannerisms he'd carefully cultivated.

He'd sworn that first night that his cover was blown. He'd had a sense of unease, something he couldn't quite put his finger on. It hadn't persisted in subsequent nights, but he didn't like it. He hoped that the bar fight hadn't been carefully staged in an attempt to gage his reactions. As much as he hated working undercover, he prided himself in his ability to avoid projecting the word "cop" to all and sundry.

He grabbed a pair of underwear and noted that he was going to need to do laundry soon. Dressed in shorts and nothing else, he practically collapsed onto the bed.

Hopefully the quarry hadn't gotten wind of the trap yet, he thought hazily. His eyes felt like lead weights and his hand patted the sheets blindly a few times.

When his eyes closed fully and he drifted off to sleep, his forehead smoothed out and the lines of worry were no longer present on his face.

And Gaia was firmly tucked under his chin.

tbc

~~~~~

Flagger Ahead - the name of this road construction sign, for those of you who like to click on links: http://www.signsandposts.com/store/images/products/w20-7a.GIF