InuYasha Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Goodbye To You ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Goodbye To You
Chapter Two
Ten months later…
Kagome sat beneath the sacred tree where she and Inuyasha had first met, five long years ago. She had spent most of every day in this spot since she had returned home after the final battle with Naraku, after she lost the love of her life.
Tears formed in the corners of her eyes just thinking of the horrible day that her life changed forever. It had been ten months, but the pain still made her feel as if it had happened only a few minutes ago.
`Why,' she asked herself. `Why wasn't I able to stop Kikyo from taking you?'
She looked up into the branches and heard footsteps walking toward her.
`If I had known,' she thought, `If I had known that it would hurt this badly, I wish I had never met him.' But no matter how many times she said this, she never got any closer to believing it.
“Kagome…” Her mother said as she walked closer to her daughter.
“Yes, Mom.” She said as she quickly wiped a tear from her face and looked to her mother.
“How you feeling today?” She sat next to her daughter.
“Okay, I guess. I didn't have any night mares last night and no panic attacks today. And look at me, hardly any crying.” She smiled ruefully at her mother.
“Then it's a good day isn't it, sweetheart?”
“I guess you could say that…”
The two sat in silence for a few minutes.
“Kagome… I have something that I need to tell you... Something that I want you to do for me.”
“Yes…”
“Now, just hear me out before you make a decision. Okay?”
“Okay.” She replied. She had never heard her mother this nervous before.
“Honey, I'm worried about you. I know that you've been through something terrible, losing Inuyasha in such a horrible way.”
Tears began to form again at the mention of his name.
“And I know that you feel that it hasn't been that long since it happened, and in truth is hasn't been. But you need to have a change in your life. Nothing too big. And I am in no way asking you to move on or forget about Inuyasha, not in the least. But I think you need a break from the mourning. You spend every day at this tree or next to the well. And while I understand that it makes you feel closer to him, it won't bring him back. You need some time away from here, to really be able to think about you and your life and what you want to do next.” She paused to look at her daughter who had tears freely flowing down her face. “I know I probably sound like a monster right now, but I'm worried about you. I just want you to take some time away from here, away from the memories to think about what you need. In no way am I asking you to forget about Inuyasha, just asking you to take a break, that's all.”
Kagome sat there thinking about what her mother was telling her. And deep in her heart she knew she was right. Her grief consumed her life. She had hardly left the shrine since she first returned to the present. She had only left to the feudal era to visit with her friends and grieve where she had lost Inuyasha.
“What did you have in mind?” She found herself asking her mother.
“Well,” her mother started, hope in her voice. “I was thinking that maybe you could stay with your cousin, Krillin, for a few weeks or so, just to get away from here for a while. It'll do you good to get away from the shrine and you haven't see your cousin in so long, not since before he was married.”
Kagome thought it over for a while. It had been a long time since she had seen Krillin, almost since she started her adventures in the feudal era. But they had always been close, sending letters, e-mails, and telephone calls since then. He had even sent her a few sweet care packages since she had lost Inuyasha. In fact, she had never even met his wife, the famed 18. “Maybe…” she thought aloud. “But, Inuyasha…” She pleaded to her mother.
“Inuyasha would understand and want you to be happy.” She pulled her daughter into a hug. “He truly did love you, Kagome. I could see it in his eyes for years and he would want you to stop hurting.”
“I know…”
“And it's just a little vacation, away from here. Just a break from all the insanity that this place contains. What do you say, sweetheart?”
Kagome thought for a few seconds. `It would be nice to get away from here, away from all the memories,' she thought.
She sighed, “Okay, Mom, I'll go stay with Krillin for a while.”
Her mother hugged her tighter. “Okay, I'll go call your cousin and tell him you agreed to it. It was his idea, you know?”
Kagome let out a small laugh. Some how she was not surprised by her caring cousin.
Mimmi kissed her daughter on the forehead, got up and said, “I'll see you inside, dear.” She began to walk toward the house, but stopped and turned toward her daughter again. “And don't feel guilty, honey. Inuyasha would want you to be happy.”
“I know Mom.” She replied. But the guilt still played on her heart. `I just miss him so incredibly much.'
At that moment…
“Okay, Goku, the time has come for you to smile again.” Bulma told her child like friend.
She, Goku, Krillin, and Vegeta were at Goku's house. The first three were sitting at a table while Vegeta stood staring out a window.
“I know guys, I'm better really. Just trying to adjust still.”
“We know, Goku, and you have done really great through all this but you need to get out and have some fun.” Krillin said.
Vegeta let out a small laugh. “What Kakkarot needs to do is forget the woman and move one.”
Bulma threw a pen at him, “Can you be any more insensitive, Vegeta?”
“It's okay, Bulma.” Goku laughed. “And in a way, he is right. I'm trying to move one, really I am. It just still hurts… a lot.”
“Goku, we know you're trying. And you know we're all here for you, even Vegeta, in his own way.” Bulma said. Vegeta grunted.
“I know and thank you all for your support. You've been really great. Even Vegeta.” He added. “But how do I do it? How can I be happy again?”
Just then Krillin's cell phone began to ring.
“Excuse me, guys.” He said as he got up and answered it. “Hello… Mimmi! I'm so glad to hear from you! How's Kagome?” He said as he walked out of the room.
Bulma walked over to Vegeta and the started to yell at him for being a jerk, which was basically how they said I love you to one another.
Goku sat at the table and stared at a picture on the wall. It was the last family portrait that all four of them had taken together. It was then that he felt something change in him. He knew he no longer wanted to be alone. He knew that he and Chi Chi were over, but he wanted his loneliness to end and he wanted to get over her, for real.
`How do I do it,' he asked himself. `How to I let myself be happy again?'
Just then Krillin walked back into the room finishing his phone conversation.
“Okay, we'll see you soon, Kagome. And don't worry, I'll make sure you have a good time and relax a little. We're so excited to have you… Okay, see you then. Bye.” He looked at Goku and said, “Sorry, but I have to leave, something came up.”
“Is everything okay?” the ever-caring Goku asked his friend.
“Yeah, that was just my cousin. She's going through some stuff right now and needs to get away. So she's going to be staying with us for a while. But I have to get home and tell 18 so we can get ready for her visit.”
“Oh, how long is she staying?” Bulma asked.
“Not sure, hopefully a few weeks if we can talk her into it. She pretty much had an emotional break down a few months ago because of something that happened, so we'll just have to see how she does.”
“That sounds terrible. What happened?”
“I'm not too sure on all the details, but from what mother said, it was very bad… But I had better be going. Goku, we'll see you tomorrow night for dinner?” He asked as he turned to leave.
“Yeah, if you think I should still come what with your cousin being there.” He replied.
“Sure, it'll be good for her to meet some new people. You two might actually have more in common than you think.” He added thinking of what he knew of Kagome's situation.
“Is she the one who travels back to the feudal era, the one you're always talking about?”
“Yep that's her.” He said as a small smile crept up on his face. He had always been proud that he cousin was saving the world in her own way.
“Awesome. Well, I'll see you tomorrow night then.” Goku said.
“Alright, see you tomorrow. Bye Bulma, Vegeta.” And with that he left.