InuYasha Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Goodbye To You ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TSP: Okay, back again. Hope y'all have enjoyed the story thus far. Sorry that it took so long to update. Apparently college has taught me how to procrastinate to my full extent. Any way, I don't own Inuyasha or DBZ. I only own Inuyasha in my heart, sigh. Read and Review!
 
Goodbye To You
Chapter Five
 
 
Later that night…
“Then what happened?” Kagome asked.
The group has finished dinner almost three hours ago and had been in the living room having a better time than Kagome thought she would have. She was also still in shock from seeing exactly how much Goku could eat in a single sitting. He easily put Inuyasha to shame in that department.
“Then I asked the dragon to turn 18 into a real human so that we could really be together.” Krillin smiled at his wife and squeezed her hand.
“You're so sweet.” 18 slurred, more than just a little drunk.
“Wow, that's so romantic.” Kagome added. “It kind of reminds me of… well, it's really sweet, Krillin.” She said changing her mind.
“Reminds you of what?” Goku asked, once again forgetting his promise to Krillin.
“Well,” she began, “it reminds me of something Inuyasha did for me. He offered to become a full human for me.”
“What did you say?”
She smiled, thinking of that fond memory. “I said no. I fell in love with him as a hanyou and wanted him to stay that way.”
“Wow, that's amazing.” Goku said, impressed by this girl's selflessness.
“Now that's romantic.” 18 said beginning to cry.
Kagome laughed. “Thanks, 18. But I think you're just saying that because of the alcohol.” She remembered what her cousin had told her earlier.
“No, I really mean it.” She sniffed. “That's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.” Now fully sobbing.
“Okay, 18,” Krillin said pulling her to her feet. “I think it's time to put you to bed.” He looked at the clock. “Wow, it's past midnight. You definitely need to get to sleep.” He heaved her over his shoulder impressing Kagome, 18 nearly asleep already. “Excuse me for a second, I need to take her upstairs.”
“No problem.” Kagome said as he headed for the stairs, 18 snoring softly.
The two sat in silence for a few minutes, Kagome staring out at the starry sky once again, Goku watching her quietly.
`I wonder what stars we would have been under tonight,' she thought
`I wonder what she finds so fascinating about the stars,' he thought. “Beautiful, night, isn't it?” he asked walking over to the window.
Kagome came out of her thoughts. “Yeah, it is.” She joined him at the window. “I love the stars. We would sleep under them almost every night.” She said remembering the first night she and Inuyasha spent under the stars as lovers. It brought both a smile to her face and tears to her eyes.
“You know,” he started, “for what it's worth, I can understand how you feel. I know what it's like to lose the love of your life.” He said.
For the first time that night, Kagome felt him lose part of his child like happiness. “What do you mean?” she inquired.
“My wife divorced me about ten months ago. Took the kids, and a good part of my heart with her.” He said, sadly.
“What woman in her right mind would divorce you?” she asked before she could stop herself.
He smiled at her as she blushed and looked back out at the night sky. “Just ask my ex-wife. She has her reasons. And in truth I can't blame her. She just didn't want to wait around for me every time I was gone saving the earth.”
“Goku,” Kagome began, “I know that I don't know you very well and that I don't know all that happened. But it seems to me that if she couldn't understand that you were gone all the time so that she and your sons would be safe, then maybe she didn't deserve you. I mean you and the other Z Warriors sacrifice so much to save humanity, you deserve some one who's going to appreciate that… Of course I may just be out of line.” She quickly added.
He thought for a moment. `Wow, she's right.' “You know, you're right, Kagome.” He smiled at her. Much to her surprise, his simple smile made her feel better than she had in months.
“I don't know what it is about you, Goku, but you radiate this child like happiness. It's really infectious.” She said with a small laugh.
“Thanks,” he said with much appreciation. “It's nice to be complimented.” He joked and the two laughed.
Kagome turned away from the night sky that reminded her of the love that she had lost, and breathed a heavy sigh. `I can't believe I'm actually having a good time,' she thought, but still felt guilty for it. “So, Krillin tells me you're from another planet.” She said sitting on the couch, pulling her legs under her.
He surveyed the stunning picture she created by just sitting. “Yeah,” he sat next to her. “But I don't remember any of it. I was really little when I was sent to Earth, and I don't remember anything from before I landed here.”
“Wow, that must have been really terrible.”
“Not really.” He said much to her surprise. “I didn't know any of the saiyans and I had a really nice grandfather who took care of me when I came to Earth. I never really felt like I needed to find what I never knew had known, so I just enjoyed life with my friends and my training.”
“Well, you're a lot braver than I would be.”
“From what Krillin's told us, you're pretty brave yourself. I mean with all you've been through…” he trailed off, mentally kicking himself for bringing the subject up again.
She gave him a heartbreaking smile. “I'm not as brave as you may think.” She whispered.
He put his hand on her. “Trust me, Kagome, I really think you are.” He said, making her smile in spite of herself.
“You know, we've been through a lot of the same stuff and I think you and I are going to become good friends, Goku.” She said and squeezed his hand. He smiled back at her.
“Well,” Krillin said walking back in the room. The two pulled apart in surprise and blushed just a bit. “It was a bit of a fight, but I was finally able to get 18 into bed.” He said standing in front of them. Then he noticed the expressions on their faces. “What? Is everything okay?”
“Yeah,” Kagome said quickly, standing up. “But, I think it's time for me to go to bed too.”
“Really?” Goku asked, a little disappointed.
She smiled at him for the millionth time that night. “Yeah, it's been a long day and I'm really tired. I just want to sleep into next week.” She said suddenly feeling how sleep she was.
“Sure, Kagome,” Krillin said. “I'm sure you're tired from today. Go on to bed.”
“Thanks,” she replied. “It was really great meeting you, Goku,” she smiled an amazing smile at him, and he felt something strange in his stomach. “I hope to see you again, very soon.” she added.
“Yeah, me too.” He smiled back at. Kagome felt something weird and wonderful in her whole body when he smiled at her.
“Night Krillin.” She walked out of the living room.
“Night, Kagome,” he replied sensing something had just taken place with out his noticing. “What was that about?” he asked a still smiling Goku.
“What was what about?” he asked, genuinely not knowing what Krillin was referring to.
“Uh, never mind.” He said.
“Well,” Goku stood. “I had better be on my way. It is really late”
“Hold it,” Krillin said standing in front of him. “You've had way too much to drink. I would feel a whole lot better if you stay here tonight.”
“Krillin, I'll be fine.”
“Goku, the last time you said that you ended up pounding on your neighbor's door for two hours asking why they were in your house.”
“Oh, yeah,” he said starting to remember that incident.
“Look, just stay in one of the guest rooms. You can even have breakfast with us tomorrow. I'm sure 18 and Kagome wouldn't mind. In fact, you and Kagome seemed to have hit it off really well, from the looks of is.” He winked at his friend.
“We just have a lot in common, that's all.” He replied. “But I wouldn't mind spending the day with you guys tomorrow.”
“Alright, well go on and get some sleep. I know how hard it is to wake you when you're tired.” He kidded.
“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” he headed for the stairs. “Night Krillin.”
“Goodnight, Goku.”
 
An hour later…
Kagome had been tossing in her bed for nearly an hour, tears slowly running down her face.
`I have not forgotten you, Inuyasha,' she thought. `But the guilt is killing me. I deserve to be happy. I know that. I can't sit around for the rest of my life and wonder what if. I need to move on, but never forget. And I won't. Inuyasha, you would understand, wouldn't you?' She turned over. `Of course he would. Why would I even think that?' She sighed. `But why can't I let him go?'
It was then that she felt it. Something was headed toward the house.
She jumped out of bed, grabbed the bow and arrows that meant so much to her, as well as Sango's ribbon. She began to tie her hair up with the ribbon as she headed out of her room. She walked down the stairs and out the French doors that lead to the back yard. She stood barefoot on the grass, her eyes shut, feeling the demon get nearer. What ever it was that was headed toward her was coming up fast.
“So you felt it too?” a warm voice asked her.
She turned to find Goku wearing a pair of blue pajama pants and no shirt. She took a quick second to admire his very well chiseled chest. She looked back out and answered, “Yeah, it's coming fast.”
He looked at her in her loose pajama pants and tight spaghetti strap tank and was sure that she was indeed the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. He noticed her hair tied into a ponytail and decided that he preferred it hanging freely about her face. Then he noticed a small scar on her collarbone that looked like someone had bitten her. “What is it?” he asked not recognizing the force that was headed for them.
“A demon.” She quietly replied.
He stood in front of her, ready to attack.
Kagome, of course, took much offense to his protective gesture. “Just what do you think you are doing?” she asked crossly.
“What?” he asked bewildered.
“I can take care of this.” She said pushing him behind her. “Besides, it's my fault that this thing is coming here. It wants the Shikon no Tama.”
“The what?” he asked even more confused.
“This,” she held the jewel out to him.
“Why would it want a little piece of jewelry?”
“Trust me, its no little piece of jewelry,” she turned away from him. They stood in silence for a few moments.
Suddenly, Goku watched as Kagome swiftly pulled an arrow from her pack. In what seemed less than a second she aimed and let it fly directly in front of her. Goku could only watch in amazement as a giant bat demon flew directly toward Kagome, and straight in the path of her arrow. Then, her arrow became enveloped in a beautiful pink light. Goku had never felt so warm in his life, as he felt the pureness the arrow emitted. Only a moment later, it made contact with the bat demon, which immediately evaporated, leaving the night quiet as the arrow hit a tree, normal once again.
Kagome ran to retrieve her precious arrow as Goku attempted to form a sentence about what he had just seen.
“What…what…what was that?” he finally asked.
She walked up to him, smiling, arrow in hand. “I guess Krillin forgot to mention that I'm a miko.”
“A what?” he asked still in astonishment.
“A miko… a priestess. I have powers of purification that I can use to ward off demons who try to take the jewel.” She explained.
“Well, that explains the felling that I got from your arrow,” he said, more than just a little impressed. “What else can you do?” he inquired.
She smiled at him. “I guess you'll just have to wait and see.” She taunted.
He returned smiled and was about to reply when they heard some one running toward them.
“What was that?” Krillin said, running from the house.
“Nothing to worry about, Krillin.” Kagome answered and started to walk toward the house.
“But what was that light that I saw?”
“That was Kagome kicking some demon ass!” Goku said with admiration to the amazing woman in front of him. “She defeated a demon with out even asking for my help.” He added.
“Wow, Kagome,” Krillin said, impressed. “Guess you're even stronger than I thought.”
“Please, it was nothing.” She said modestly. “Besides, it wasn't even that strong of a demon anyway.”
“But still, that's pretty impressive… Come on, what else can you do?” Goku asked fascinated.
“Well, I'm pretty good at detecting when are demons around. And my purification powers allow me to deflect some attacks. And I can put up a pretty powerful barrier, too.”
“Amazing. I never imagined such things were possible for humans.” Goku said as they walked into the house. “But with all I've seen I guess I should have.” He smiled his incredible smile at her. “You really are remarkable.”
Kagome felt strange as she smiled back at him. Then she suddenly felt very depressed at the same time. `Inuyasha…'she thought as tears welled in her eyes. She looked away so as to not let them see her cry. “Well, it's really late. I better get to bed.” She said as she quickly headed toward the stairs.
Both Goku and Krillin noticed the sudden change in her manner.
“Is everything okay?” Krillin asked as she began to climb the stairs.
“Yes,” she replied with out looking at them. “Just sleepy, that's all.”
“Okay, well goodnight, Kagome.” Goku said, hiding the sadness in his voice. `What did I say to upset her,' he wondered.
“Night.” And with that final word she ran up the remaining stairs to her room, the others unknowing of the immense guilt that tugged on her conscience.
“Was it something I said?” Goku asked Krillin as they began climbing the stairs.
“No, I don't think so. The whole demon thing probably just reminded her of the stuff that she's trying to move past. Don't worry, Goku. She'll be fine. She just needs a good night sleep.”
“Okay,” he replied, still feeling bad. “Night, Krillin.”
“Night, Goku.”
 
In Kagome's room…
Kagome silently cried to herself as she put her bow and arrows on the couch and removed the ribbon from her hair.
She crawled into bed and wiped the tears away with the back of her hand.
`I'm sorry, Inuyasha,' she thought. `Though I don't know why I feel so bad… I just miss you so much,' was her final thought as she drifted into a deep sleep.