InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 72 Hours ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

72 Hours
By: DarkCrystalis

Disclaimer:
I don't have one, you evil owners of Inuyasha people (which don't include me, I might add). However, if I create any original characters, they are all mine to do whatever I want with.

Disclaimer: I do not own the song Hanging by a Moment”, which is sung/and/or sang by Lifehouse.

XxXx

Chapter Four

Day Two-
Second Half


Sighing, Inuyasha walked out of his office with a sense of happiness filling him. He was able to help one of his psychotic patients, which made him feel good about himself.

However, most of his good mood was directed towards the fact that he was going to see Kagome again. He still felt bad for leaving her earlier, but at the same time was desperately hoping she
'd found the note, understanding why he'd had to leave so abruptly.

Stepping into his car, Inuyasha started the engine and took off from in the parking lot. Her home was close by, which was how he'd managed to remember where she lived.

When the familiar home came into view, he jumped out of the car, not even bothering to knock on the unlocked door.

Kago…” Stopping, Inuyasha realized the shower was running.

She must be up there—I don't want to bother her.

Sitting down in a chair, Inuyasha flicked on the television, waiting for her to come back downstairs.

Minutes ticked by, those few minutes turning into ten, and then those ten turning into fifteen.

Raking his fingers through his hair, Inuyasha took in a deep breath. Like it or not, he was worried.

I know she's been acting weird lately—is it possible that something happened?

After another few minutes, Inuyasha got up.

It won't hurt to check—I'll just make sure everything's alright.

When he knocked on the bathroom door and didn
't receive a response, panic settled into the core of his body.

“Kagome? If you're in there, answer me!”

Still not hearing anything, he turned the knob, wanting to get to the bottom of his nervousness.

The door opened easily, due to the lock not having been used. Kagome's clothes lay on the floor of the bathroom in a small pile, a clean outfit right beside it for afterwards.

Pulling the curtain aside, his jaw dropped in horror at the sight. Kagome's naked body was laid across the bathtub while the warm water still pounded on her relentlessly.

Turning off the flow immediately, Inuyasha pulled her body into his arms, uninterested in admiring her nakedness right now.

Wrapping her in the towel nearby, he began to rub it all over her skin, trying to dry her off. Taking off his shirt, Inuyasha used it to tie it around her hair, in order for it to dry faster.

Then, when he was some-what satisfied, he picked up her unconscious form and the clean clothes from in the bathroom, bringing everything into her bedroom.

Inspecting her for any possible wounds, he made a disapproved face when he found a bump on the back of her head.

She must have slipped while she was showering, and fell; that's why she was knocked out.

Sighing, he knew there was nothing he could do to help her with her minor injury. He could, however, get her body warmed up by re-clothing her. So, after a bit of debate, he started with her shirt and worked his way down. It was surprisingly much easier than he'd first anticipated—which was by all means, a good thing.

Once that deed was done, Inuyasha couldn't help but smile. Even when unaware of her surroundings, she was reaching out to him, pulling him into her arms.

Grinning, Inuyasha found himself giving in once more. If she wanted to be with him, and he didn't have any qualms about it, what was a reason to hold himself back?

Shivering at the loss of warmth, Inuyasha found himself rubbing his bare arms and chest. Pulling the comforter over their bodies, he snuggled his head slightly below her breasts. Inuyasha listened to her steady heartbeat, which ended up lulling him into a light slumber minutes later.

XxXx

Slowly waking, Kagome weakly opened her eyes. The brightness shining through the windows made her shut them again, wincing in sudden pain.

My head hurts like something awful, she whispered as she rubbed her forehead, hoping for some sort of relief.

Surprisingly, Inuyasha appeared in the doorway with a bottle of Advil and a glass of water.

“I had a sneaky suspicion that you'd be waking up soon.” Grinning, he sat down beside her.

Jumping at his voice, her eyes flew open. However, she immediately calmed when he began to caress her face.

“Take these,” he whispered in her ear, stopping his massaging fingers on her face. Placing the two regular-strength pain reliever pills in her hand, Inuyasha watched her sit upright as she winced in pain.

“Aiyah…it hurtsss…” Kagome hissed, biting her lower lip.

“It'll go away soon, after you take these. Do it now,” he commanded in a stern yet soft tone, watching her nod meekly in response.

Once the water was drained and the pills taken, Inuyasha gently pushed her back onto the bed.

“You're not going anywhere, missy. In fact, you'll be staying right here until I let you move.”

Quirking an eyebrow, Kagome had a feeling of where this was going…
…and she didn't like it.

“I'll go wherever I want!”

Smirking, Inuyasha pushed her shoulders deeper into the bed as his body hovered over hers.

“Oh no you won't,” he replied as his breath brushed across her lips. They were mere inches apart, oh-so-close to kissing one another.

Subconsciously arching her body, Inuyasha's eyes widened, realizing their close proximity.

“Kagome,” he whispered, leaning his head the rest of the way down to her lips.

At first he was hesitant, not sure if this was what she'd wanted. However, any doubts were soon squashed as she opened her lips to his unobtrusive mouth.

“Mmm…” she moaned, feeling her lips spread into a smile.

Silently damning himself for dressing her earlier, Inuyasha settled on dragging his lips to the side of her exposed neck. Gently nipping at the sensitive area, his whole body shook with heat and excitement as her body arched against his again.

“This is very bad,” Kagome found herself saying, having an idea of where this might lead to.

All in all, in this case, “bad” was very, very good.

“No, it's…dangerous…” Inuyasha brought his lips lower, reaching her collar bone with ease.

Yeah, dangerous in the sense that if you two have sex, he has a high chance of getting AIDS! What do you think you're doing?!

Freezing up at the thought, Kagome's arms began pushing his chest away from her.

Instantly pulling away, he rolled onto the side of her bed, blushing slightly.

For a good minute or two, neither of them could look at one another.

Finally, Inuyasha mustered up the courage to say something.

“S-sorry,” he mumbled, not glancing at her as he spoke.

Kagome bit her lip, feeling awash with guilt.

“It's…it's not about you, I promise. Under other circumstances, maybe I would have…”

Staring into her eyes, he silently demanded for her to expand on the previous statement.

“Oh, well…I'm um…I'm just not ready…yet.”

The lie sounded weak, even to her own ears; but for some reason, Kagome knew he wouldn't argue with her over it.

“Oh—alright then; I understand.” No you don'tidiot.

Frowning, Kagome did what she could to make the best of the uncomfortable situation.

“Um…can you turn on the radio?”

Her hesitant request filled the silence of the room, making his eyebrows shoot up in surprise. He hadn't expected a question such as that, but didn't mind nonetheless.

Walking over to the dresser, he flipped the “on” switch, listening to a man's voice play through the speakers.

“Stupid commercials,” Kagome muttered unhappily. “They should play more music.”

Smiling a little at her minor distress, Inuyasha lay back down beside her.

A song Kagome recognized wafted through the tense air, making her giggle giddily.

“I love this song soooo much!”

Jumping off the bed, she scowled when her head began to pound at the sudden movement.

“Argh, stupid bump…screw you!”

Swaying back and fourth on her feet, Kagome sang with the song.

Desperate for changing,
Starving for truth.
I
'm closer to where I started,
I
'm chasing after you.

I
'm falling even more in love with you,
Lettin
g go of all I've held on to.
I
'm standing here until you make me move,
I
'm hanging by a moment here with you.

Beckoning him to follow her, Inuyasha reluctantly got off the bed to where she stood. Taking her hands in his, he pulled her body against him, and slow danced with her to the lulling music.

Forgetting all I'm lacking,
Completely incomplete.
I
'll take your invitation,
You take all of me now


I'm falling even more in love with you,
Letting go of all I
've held on to.
I
'm standing here until you make me move,
I
'm hanging by a moment here with you.

I
'm living for the only thing I know,
I
'm running and not quite sure where to go.
And I don
't know what I'm diving into,
I
'm hanging by a moment here with you.

Knowing the song all too well, Inuyasha smirked against her ear, whispering the words to her.

Ther
e's nothing else to lose,
There
's nothing else to find;
There
's nothing in the world,
That can change my mind.

There is nothing else

There is nothing else

There is nothing else.


Shivering, she gripped him tighter, never wanting to let go.

However, when he started singing the last lines of the song, tears sprung to her eyes.

Desperate for changing,
Starving for truth.
I
'm closer to where I started,
I
'm chasing after you.

I'm falling even more in love with you,
Letting go of all I
've held on to.
I
'm standing here until you make me move,
I
'm hanging by a moment here with you.

I
'm living for the only thing I know,
I
'm running and not quite sure where to go.
And I don
't know what I'm diving into,
I
'm hanging by a moment here with you.

Just hanging by a moment (here with you),
Hanging by a moment (here with you).

Hanging by a moment (here with you),
Hanging by a moment here with you.


A few of the useless water drops managed to drip out of her eyes, but she buried her face into his shoulder in hopes to hide it.

Lifting her face to his, Inuyasha was extremely unhappy when he saw the tears slip from her eyes.

“Why are you sad, Kagome? I thought it would make you happy…”

Shaking her head, she flung her arms around his neck even tighter.

“No, this makes me so, so, so very happy…I'm so glad that I'm not alone.”

Going on her tip toes to kiss him softly, she placed a soft hand on his cheek.

I wish this could last; I wish we could last.

Inuyasha assumed she was speaking about her adoptive mother, which was why he wrapped his arms around her.

“I'll never leave your side—I promised you I wouldn't. Don't you believe me, Kagome?” His heart pounded faster in his chest, making his breathing go at a quicker pace.

“I'll always trust you, Inuyasha.”

Pausing, Kagome forced herself to smile bitterly.

But when I tell you I'm dying, will you still trust me?

XxXx

Hours later, the two found themselves enjoying one another's company in the park. They'd been walking around in the setting sunlight minutes before, until Kagome saw the swings at the nearby playground.

“Please?” She'd requested, looking at him with her infamous puppy dog eyes.

Not being able to resist her, he easily allowed himself to be dragged towards the children's play structure. It'd been ages since the last time he'd been on a swing, and suddenly, he felt the tiniest of child-like urges to let himself loose.

Setting her down on the nearest swing, he gently pushed her as she giggled merrily. Kagome smiled, laughed, and ranted about how when she was younger, she went to the park everyday, just to go on the swings.

He listened intently, not wanting to interrupt her when she was so obviously happy about recounting her childhood. As she continued speaking, Inuyasha found himself remembering his own childhood. It didn't seem as good as hers—he didn't get to go to the park all the time, or have an ice cream cone whenever the ice cream man was nearby the park while being there.

“My mom used to take me…Kaede, I mean …”

However, when she stopped mid sentence, Inuyasha's arms tightened on her shoulders.

“Tomorrow,” she whispered mournfully, feeling quite weak all of a sudden.

Inuyasha, thinking he was smart for believing she was talking about Kaede's funeral, hugged her back to his chest in comfort.

“I'll be there with you tomorrow, Kagome. I'll be there with you through it all—I promised you I would, and I intend to keep that promise.”

Her eyes darkened slightly as she stared up at him, shaking her head.

“You have no idea what you're promising me, Inuyasha.”

Walking in front of her, he crouched down, staring into her eyes.

“What are you hiding from me?”

Mutely, Kagome shook her head in denial, but he knew.

It was too late; she couldn't hide it any longer.

Taking a deep breath, she squeezed her eyes shut and bowed her head lowly, not being able to look at him.

“I-I don't know how to say this,” she started, feeling the oncoming tears wash over her face.

“It couldn't be that bad,” Inuyasha began saying, tilting her head to meet his hopeful eyes. “Could it?”

Lips trembling, tears streaming, Kagome launched herself into his arms, knocking the two of them to the soft sand.

“I'm dying, Inuyasha—I've got AIDS, and I'm dying tomorrow. When I went to see the doctor two days ago, he told me I'd have seventy two hours to live. Ever since then, I've been doing my best to ignore the pain, the tiredness, everything, and because of you, I've had a reason to live.”

Taking a huge breath, Kagome rushed out all of her feelings.

“I know I should have told you—but I didn't. I was afraid you'd leave me; afraid that you'd leave me to die alone. I don't want to die alone, Inuyasha…” Sobbing harder, she clutched onto the front of his shirt, begging for him to understand.

Digesting this information the best way he could, Inuyasha slowly got up, and began to walk away.

“I need some time…” Inuyasha whispered, feeling betrayed and hurt.

He'd known right from the beginning something was wrong, and even after repeated attempts getting her to open up to him, she'd denied having any problems.

“Inuyasha, no,” she sobbed brokenly, running after him. “You promised me you wouldn't leave me—don't leave me like mama and Kaede did.”

“Kagome—you lied to me. I wanted to help you, make you feel better the best way I could, but you betrayed me instead.”

Shaking her head as quickly as she could, she grabbed his arm and held on tightly.

“It's not what you think—don't take it the wrong way!”

Turning around, Inuyasha called out, “I just need some space—I'll be back later,” over his shoulder.

Walking away in the dusky light of the late afternoon, Inuyasha didn't look back as Kagome's body fell to the ground in defeat.

“I might not be here later,” she whispered emotionlessly as the tears didn't cease their flowing.

Her eyes swelled, now red and tinged with a deep sadness. Her proud, tall form was now crumpled on the gravel ground, shaking uncontrollably with the emotions running through her at an all-time high.

“Why did you leave me, Inuyasha?”

XxXx

When he got home to his apartment, Inuyasha felt the anger well up inside him. Punching the white wood door, he felt the harsh pain on his knuckles.

Why damnit, why?”

Resting his head against the nearest wall, Inuyasha felt tears sting his eyes. The last time he'd cried was when he was a child, over something really stupid. Now, he was crying because the one person he'd loved, aside from his family members, was being taken away from him.

Leaving her in the park had been a dumb idea, but he had to get himself aligned before he saw her again. The last thing he'd wanted to do was hurt her, or say something he'd regret more than this.

Collapsing on his bed, Inuyasha shivered as he mourned for himself, and Kagome.

He couldn't allow himself this release for long, though; he knew her time was running out.

Sickeningly, he finally understood why she hadn't told him until now.

She was afraid something like this would happen—and that I wouldn't come back.

Shaking his head, Inuyasha made a decision.

Despite the fact that he was unstable, Inuyasha knew he'd have to see her soon. The last thing he wanted was for her to think that she'd been abandoned, and that she'd die alone.

No matter what, he told himself, I have to be there for her when that painful moment comes, just like I promised.

XxXx

Day Three-
First Half


Some time, much later the next morning, Kagome dragged herself up from the playground's floor. Her body protested wildly, but she shushed it when she made promises to feed her stomach when she got home.

Feeling frail and sluggish, finally, after a good few attempts, Kagome managed to begin the short walk back home. She had to stop every minute, taking deep, unsteady breaths as her body wore down even further than before, but that didn't keep her from getting to where she needed to be.

Today was Kaede's funeral, and by god, she was determined to live through it. What kind of daughter would she be if she died at her mother's funeral?

Stepping through the threshold of her house, Kagome slipped off her shoes, and dispassionately went over to the phone. Calling the funeral home, she double checked the arrangement time. The funeral would be held in just under an hour, which barely gave her enough time to change, and make it there on time.

Thanking the woman over the telephone, Kagome went upstairs to change. This time, climbing the stairs was a million times harder than the last. She felt feeble and useless after only three steps, but somehow managed to mount the hated steps.

Changing as quickly as she could, Kagome descended the steps, pausing after she did so. There, in the doorway, stood Inuyasha.

He stared at her unblinkingly, his lips drawn in a tight line.

“Kagome, I—”

Before he could attempt to explain, or do anything for that matter, she bowled him over in a full-force embrace.

Kissing him all over his face, she cried, and cried, and cried. She thanked the gods that he hadn't left her, never having felt so happy in her entire lifetime.

“I…you—” Words evaded her as she cried the happiest tears she could manage. “You came back to me!”

Nuzzling her head with his nose, Inuyasha felt his eyes tear up. “I promised you I would, didn't I? What happened to never doubting me?”

She opened her mouth to speak, but Inuyasha softly placed his index finger over her lips.

“Shh; we want to get to the funeral home on time for the ceremony, right? We'll grab something to eat along the way.”

For once in her life, Kagome felt no need to protest as he carried her in his arms.

XxXx

After cramming their faces with take-out fast food while driving, they arrived minutes before the tiny funeral was to be held. They would be the only ones there, which was why a small room had been reserved for them.

Stepping in, Kagome immediately walked over to the cheap, ugly, standard coffin.

Whispering to Inuyasha, “I'd rather have her laid out on the table instead; it'd look a lot better.”

Withholding a laugh, he held onto her hand tightly. She was making humour, because she knew she would be breaking down soon. Nonetheless, one of them had to be strong through this, and it sure as hell wouldn't be Kagome, which left him.

Looking around the room, she found that she hated it.

White walls, four black leather chairs, and the table the coffin was on consisted of all the furniture. Some pictures of water and flowers hung on the dim walls in bland frames, making the room feel sadder than it already was.

The hard carpet beneath their feet matched the colour of the ceiling, which didn't say much, seeing how it was a dark bluish grey hue.

All in all, the room was drab and depressing, pulling down Kagome's already unhappy mood even further.

Sighing, she turned her focus to the reason why she was here.

If Kagome was more naïve, she'd think Kaede was just resting for a little while. She looked exactly how she normally did, minus the fact that she wasn't breathing.

Standing in front of the coffin, Kagome's hand gently traced the outline of her adoptive mother's face. They had used some make up, but it looked natural, and didn't come off when she was touched. Kaede wore the same clothes she'd died in, which made her look right at home.

A soft sob erupted from Kagome's throat, filling the tense silence, making it sound so much louder than it really was.

Inuyasha's arms immediately wrapped around her, telling her that everything would be alright as he reassured himself in the process.

As the sobs continued, Kagome hiccupped, feeling her hands tremble as she brought her hands up to her face.

One of the women that worked in the funeral home walked over, offering her a tissue, asking, “Do you need anything, miss?”

Kagome glared at her with loathing, and snapped, “Does it look like I need anything? Just get out.”

The woman didn't seem surprised or unhappy at her rude outburst. Instead, she moved back, giving the hostile woman her much needed space.

Gripping his arms, Kagome felt herself grow weak.

“I've had enough of this—I can't stand it anymore; I don't want to cry anymore. Kaede wouldn't have wanted me to cry; she would have wanted me to be strong, just like she was.”

Inuyasha nodded understandingly.

Clasping her hand in his own, Inuyasha told the woman that they were finished.

When the woman went to ask Kagome a question, he handled it. “I'll take care of the costs and arrangements tomorrow,” he told the woman, daring her to defy his demand.

Nodding meekly, she showed them the way out, although it was rather obvious how to leave the depressing building.

“Thank you, Inuyasha; I really appreciate it,” Kagome said quietly as they walked out.

Once in Inuyasha's car, Kagome wiped the tears away from her eyes, sighing in defeat.

“I think I'll be able to last until later on tonight…”

Growling, Inuyasha reminded her to be quiet and enjoy the last bit of time she had with him.

A tense silence followed as he drove back to her home, but Kagome quietly spoke.

“I've always wondered how my mom died, and now, I think I know.”

Although he was driving, Kagome knew he was giving her his full attention.

“When she passed away, she was just like me; weak, tired, and not able to move. I'm sure it hurt her a lot, but she wouldn't dare tell me that. However, what she did tell me was that she was tired, and needed to sleep…” Smiling bitterly, Kagome wished she'd known all those years ago. “She had AIDS, just like I do now.”

“I don't know what to say, Kagome,” Inuyasha mumbled in the silence of the car as they pulled up in her driveway.

Smiling a sad smile, she placed a hand on his cheek. “I don't expect you to say a thing, Inuyasha.”

As he got out of the car, he walked over to her side, picking her up bridal style.

He opened the unlocked door, and glided up the stairs. Entering her bedroom once more, he lay her down on the soft mattress.

“I'm going to go boil some water—would you like a cup of coffee?”

Nodding, she watched him leave to run down to the kitchen, promising to be right back.

My final moment has arrived—I've reached the end of the road.

Areyou ready, Kagome?

After a moment's thought, she put on a solemn face.

Yes.

XxXx