InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Antagonists Unite ❯ Chapter Twelve ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Antagonists Unite
By: DarkCrystalis and edited by Jon04CTSV
 
XxXx
 
Chapter Twelve
 
Rin's POV
 
It's the weekend before the Music project is due and neither I nor Sesshoumaru have worked on it. Since the "incident" at the dance, we've pretty much avoided one another. Maybe he saw my choice of not going with him as rejecting him entirely out of my life, but whatever it was must have shaken him up a little. Good, I can't help thinking whenever I think of this; at least this way he'll know that I'm different from other girls.
 
As I sit on the bed staring at the assignment, a sharp pang hit my chest. I wonder where it was coming from, but maybe the bitter thoughts made me feel this way. Okay, so it's possible that I regret not going to the dance with him—but only possible
 
I suddenly laugh out loud helplessly, the sound being harsh and sad.
 
Who am I kidding? I was an idiot that night. Sesshoumaru isn't the type to be romantic and straight-forward with his feelings, is he?—at least, probably not when he actually likes the girl he's chasing. With that thought clear in my mind, I blushed brightly. So, although his wording hadn't exactly been the best, he'd tried asking me out and I'd declined.
 
The harsh breeze of the night catches the window's curtain and sends it flying wildly, the sound scaring me from its unexpected loudness. My eyes immediately flicker to the window, staring through the roughly shifting curtains to see if there's anyone behind them. Memories of that one night come back to me, and I can't help hugging my knees to my chest in fear, silently hoping that someone will tell me everything will be okay.
 
Picking up the phone hesitantly, I stare at Sesshoumaru's neat printing on my assignment paper. On the day the assignment was handed out, he'd given me his phone number so that we could work on this whenever I felt we should, to keep us on track.
 
Somehow, I know that he'd never mock me for being afraid, especially if he knew why I've become so paranoid as of recently. Somehow, a huge part of me feels safe and protected around him, despite the fact that I don't know how very well. I know he wouldn't let anything happen to me, or else he never would have saved me from Kouga…
 
I bite my lip tightly, feeling all the more like a fool. I need to talk to him; I have to try.
 
XxXx
 
Rin's POV
 
Hours later, I finally gather the nerve to call him. It's probably really, really late and there's the chance that he's sleeping, but I need him; I need someone there for me…
 
I need to apologize and make things right;
I need to tell him what I think and feel tonight.
But most of all, I need someone to confide to, a friend;
I need a hand someone like him can lend.
Without someone here for me, I'm going to fall;
And once that happens, nothing will be left of me; nothing at all.
 
A tear unnoticeably rolled down my cheek and I began to sob, hating my weakness. I'm a complete and utter wreck, and no one will be able to save me; I can feel my happiness tuck away into the dark corners of the hidden secrets in my fragile heart.
 
"When I wanted to tell you,
I made a mistake.
I walked away…
Gomenasai, for everything.
Gomenasai, I know I let you down.
Gomenasai 'till the end,
I never needed a friend, like I do now."
 
I waited as the phone rang, tears streaming down my face as I held my breath in tightly…
 
XxXx
 
Sesshoumaru's POV
 
My cell phone started ringing, bringing me out of my restless sleep. I'd decided to go to sleep early tonight, feeling slightly stressed out. I picked it up, half-ready to kill whoever had the audacity to call so late at night. Sure, it was a Saturday, but that didn't mean I had to be awake or out doing things at 11: 30P.M.
 
I was a little more than surprised to see that it was Rin, so I picked it up, making sure my voice was clear as I spoke. For some odd reason, I don't want to cause her any guilt for waking me up; she doesn't deserve it, I don't think.
 
"…Rin?" I asked tentatively, seeing her name on my phone. I'd added her onto my phonebook, which is why her name was displayed across the glowing screen.
 
Soft sobs came from the other line, although it was obvious she was suppressing them. Whatever was making her upset stirred something inside me; I suddenly felt protective, as if I had to go and save her from whatever bothered her so greatly.
 
"Rin, talk to me. There must have been a reason you decided to call me in the first place; I can hear you crying." The words sounded harsh even to my ears, but perhaps she wasn't looking for sympathy in the first place.
 
The sobbing stopped and much needed sniffling replaced her tears, but still she did not speak.
 
"If you will not cease wasting my time, I'll simply leave you to your tears. I cannot speak to a wall, or console someone who will not tell me what is wrong to begin with."
 
"Please, don't leave me," Rin pleaded in a desperate, harsh sounding whisper. "I need you," she added without thinking as she stared out the dark window pane, the tears still rolling gently off of her face.
 
I felt something dark crawl into my stomach, as if I was slowly losing my temper. She rejected you, a tiny voice in my head spoke to me, but no matter how hard I tried to ignore it, I listened. Rin doesn't need you; she just doesn't want to be alone right now; she's using you. She'd probably be happy even if Kouga was with her right now.
 
The phone I held began to shake from the tight grip with which I held it. Anger was seeping through my skin; my angry aura is coming off of me in waves. Before I could control my next words, for the first time in my life, I spoke before thinking.
 
"You're being irrational, Rin. What do you think—that some random person will crawl through your window and hurt you, or worse? How likely could that possibly be? If you're afraid, turn on the lights and hug a pillow or stuffed animal; do whatever it is that girls do when they are scared of trivial things." I already hate myself for saying these things, but it's too late to go back on it. Making her angry will at least make her forget her fears, which is, in a twisted way, a solution to her fright.
 
Deep, harsh breathing from Rin could be heard on the other line. She was trying hard not to go into a rage, knowing that she might wake her brother. "Listen, you, Sesshoumaru," Rin said in a dark, cold voice that I'd never heard before. Her words were said one by one, to emphasize their point. "You know nothing about me—how would you know what I've gone through? You're nothing but an arrogant, self-righteous jerk that doesn't give a shit about anyone, which is why a girl will never fall in love with you." Then, she hung up; and that was the end of the conversation.
 
She called me, fairly late at night—in fact, late enough to wake me from sleeping,—in order to tell me she was afraid and needed someone, and I basically spat in her face. Staring at the dead phone in my hand, I suddenly began to feel something I've never felt before; hatred for myself and my actions as of a few minutes before.
 
Quietly, I hung up the phone and stared at the ceiling, keeping the loathing inside of me. Rin was right, of course; every word she'd said was true. What do I know about her? How could I go and make judgements?
 
There was something about her that was out of place, though; the way she'd snapped at me, seconds after I'd said 'What do you think—that some random person will crawl through your window and hurt you, or worse?' Those were the words that had set her off, weren't they? She'd been acting so strangely since the night after the dance; the night she'd left early without getting a ride, and probably walking home alone…
 
Realization suddenly dawned on me and I tried getting out of bed so fast that I fell on the floor.
 
I have to get to her, before something happens.
 
XxXx
 
Rin's POV
 
What a jerk; a complete asshole, a self-centered idiot, I keep thinking to myself, trying to keep my anger under control. I was so mad that I completely (and unknowingly) forgot about my fear; was that his goal in the first place—to get me so angry that I wouldn't be scared anymore? Nonetheless, surely there were other ways to help someone calm down when they were horribly afraid late at night?
 
Clenching my pillow in my hand, I squeezed my eyes shut in order to try and focus on the anger instead of my fear. Slowly, the anger faded away, leaving only my fright of being left alone. My body shook slightly as I faced the window, aptly staring at it for any looming figures in the night. Instead of trying to think of the window in a negative way, I began to remember the good days the window served for me.
 
Back a few grades ago, there was my best friend, Kari, which lived down the street and went to the same school as me. Sometimes, when we wanted to see each other at night, she'd climb the tree close to my bedroom window and knock on it. Then, I'd go answer it and see her, standing there in her nightgown without shoes or slippers. We'd talk and giggle silently until we began to feel tired; then, she'd go home as I'd stare out the window, making sure she got home safely.
 
Unfortunately, after a few years of living on my street, her father got a new job somewhere far away. We were kids at the time; where she was moving had long ago been forgotten in my mind.
 
However, Kari made a promise to me on that day. She told me, "One day, I will come and visit you late at night. I will knock on your window and surprise your sleepy face; then, we will hug and talk for the rest of the night! I might even stay over, and call my parents in the morning." I'd looked skeptically at her, highly doubting that this day would come. "Rin," she said pleadingly, "You have to believe me; I will not let out friendship go like this. I will come for you," she'd told me with her bright smile.
 
Ever since then, I can't help but think of the day when we'll meet again. A small part of me hopes Kari will keep her promise, but the other part of me is more rational. We were kids when she made that promise. Besides, she's probably forgotten about you now, anyway, a voice in my head always tells me, but I ignore it.
 
Now feeling slightly upset with the realization that that day probably won't ever come, I closed my eyes and pulled the covers even further on top of me. I snuggled down as far into the bed as possible, reveling in the soft feeling of the comforter over my body and the squishy pillow beneath my head.
 
Then, without knowing it, I fell asleep.
 
XxXx
 
It was a summer night and the birds had long since fallen asleep in their nests. It was quiet outside, but the quiet cars driving to and from home in the distance kept my surroundings from being completely silent.
 
It's been at least a couple summers since I last saw Kari, but I'm still too young to lose my naiveté; I still longingly hope that she'll come to see me, like she promised.
 
The moon's rays gently shine through my bedroom's curtains and I know I should already be asleep; but there's a part of me that tells me Kari will be here tonight.
 
I sit in bed, wide awake, long ago having said goodnight to Koji, my older brother. I have trouble sitting still, but I have tons of patience. I imagine what Kari will look like, and I smile, instantly remembering the Kari I used to know. Long, dark brown hair with eyes the colour of rainy clouds; tall, skinny and energetic. She's the type of girl that could make anyone smile; just thinking of Kari made me miss her all the more.
 
After hours of waiting, I sadly fall asleep, knowing that I was just hoping and that she wasn't really on her way here tonight. However, before I completely hand myself over to the dream realm, I can't help but think I hear something at the window. A light, tapping sound; it differed from the way Kari used to tap at my window, but perhaps she'd changed since then? Perhaps it's only the branches against the glass? Nonetheless, my body jolts awake at the chance that Kari may be at the window.
 
I can hear a faint knocking at my door downstairs, but the noise at the window is what keeps calling to me…
 
XxXx
 
Rin's POV
 
I am sleeping and sleep-walking, but do not know it. There is someone at the window, but I do not know who. I am thinking, while I am sleeping, that it must be Kari…
 
…but it is not.
 
XxXx

Author's Note
 
Angel: Hellooooo everyoneeee! Yes, I'm still alive and kicking…
 
Jon: Oh, she's doing other things too; not just kicking, I mean…
 
Angel: If you don't watch what you say, you'll get kicked, too.
 
Jon: Oh no, you wouldn't hurt me…
 
Angel: Want to test out that theory? Never mind, I have other things to get to. I haven't had any ideas for where I wanted this story to go; plus, I've been busy…
 
Jon: …With me…
 
Angel: …And your family at your house for Thanksgiving! Teehee!
 
Jon: Eh…
 
Angel: Anyway, I'm sorry for the late update, but like I've said a million times before, I am NOT giving up on this story! Now that I know which direction this story is heading, I'll be more inspired to write future chapters!
 
Until chapter 13!
 
Sincerely,
Angel and Jon