InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Antagonists Unite ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Antagonists Unite
By: DarkCrystalis and edited by Jon04CTSV
XxXx
Chapter Thirteen
Rin's POV
 
The wind is gently blowing the thin, white curtains at my windowsill. The breeze that caresses my face as I near the windowpane cools me, the feeling welcoming on my warm skin. I feel like I'm being pushed toward the window, as if I don't have any control over my actions, but I somehow manage to make myself stop mid-stride.
 
I suddenly hear something which catches my interest, making me disregard the tapping at the window, which is most likely from the branches on the nearby tree. A quiet, almost unnoticeable knocking is coming from the floor below me, and my attention is instantly pulled towards the source of the noise. I can't help but wonder who it could possibly be at this hour, seeing how I'm sure that neither Kagome, Sango nor Ayame would be brave enough to leave their homes after 11:00PM on a school night.
 
Tip-toeing down the carpeted flight of stairs, I curiously enter the front hallway to where the main entrance is in my home. I can just barely see a silhouetted figure standing a meter or two from the door, but from this distance I cannot tell who it could be. The only clue I can firmly denounce is that their hair is illuminated to a soft silvery-white shade, due to the rays of light from the moon. A glimmering pair of golden eyes dart around the front steps, as if nervous; perhaps he or she suddenly believes that coming to bother someone at this hour may not be such a wise idea after all.
 
Abruptly, the foggy haze of confusion clears from my mind and I nearly smile.
 
A fraction of a second later, I cannot help but grin at Sesshoumaru's boldness; I can hardly imagine the eldest son of the Taishous going off at all hours of the night to converse with a female classmate, of all people.
 
Now knowing that the mysterious person is merely Sesshoumaru, I open the door, forgetting that I'm still in my nightly clothes. However, what I do remember is the last conversation we had together over the phone and I with-hold a scowl. Instead, I bluntly ask him the one question which is nagging me.
 
"What are you doing here at..." I pause to look at my wristwatch, "11:26PM?"
 
He gives me a look which is unreadable, and again I question him. "I don't have all night, Sesshoumaru," I can't help saying, noticing his discomfort and liking every second of it. He deserves it, after all.
 
"You're alright," he finally answers, and I give him a quizzical look.
 
"Of course I am... sort of," I mumble, not expecting him to have heard me.
 
"Did something... happen to you?" There is concern in his eyes, and for a second I'm taken aback. Since when does the Ice Prince feel worry for others' welfare?
 
"What makes you think something did?" I grow nervous and my face turns pink; I'm hoping he doesn't know about the dark clothed man I unfortunately had an encounter with the other night.
 
"It was the way you spoke on the phone--something in the way you talked, the agonizing words you used like "I need you" made me feel..." As he struggled for the words to explain his distress, I cross my arms over my chest. I blush even more furiously when he re-states the sentences I spoke in my flustered, vulnerable state, and desperately wish I hadn't said them.
 
"Well, I'm fine now," I hear my voice echo in the quiet of the dark doorway, no emotion crossing my features or tone.
 
Sesshoumaru didn't believe me, of course, and instead of taking what I said into consideration, he walked into my house.
 
"What the hell are you doing? You can't just walk in here; this isn't your house, Sesshoumaru!" I whisper annoyingly, not wanting to get in trouble in case Koji wakes up from the furiously harsh tones of my voice.
 
"I know someone's bothering you; who is it?" The question was said easily enough, but the icy expression on his face made my blood run cold.
 
"I-I don't know what you're talking about," I reply, turning away from him. "The only one that has gotten on my nerves today is you."
 
I saw something akin to guilt drift through his form; his shoulders, which are usually proud and strong, suddenly seemed fragile and hunched. His eyes were what shook me the most, however; the regret of his actions was taking a huge consequence on him. I felt as though his icy barrier had temporarily cracked, showing me the real Sesshoumaru, even if for only a moment. Did what I say really bother him so much? Did I really mean so much to a practical stranger, despite everything?
 
"I mean," I try to ammend my previous statement, "I shouldn't have said things like that earlier tonight; I was merely in a weak state of mind. It was silly of me to break down over nothing at all." I give a nervous, but quieted laugh, hoping he wouldn't press me further.
 
"I don't believe you for a second, Rin." The way he used my name gave me shivers up and down my arms, so I rubbed them furiously, blaming my sudden goosebumps on the open door. I close it and walk toward the living room, sitting down on the couch. Maybe speaking to him about my problems wouldn't be such a bad idea; I know I have to talk to someone about the mysterious man eventually... Better Sesshoumaru than Koji, I think. Besides, my life could be on the line, especially if that man were to find out where I live; then Koji's life could also be in danger...
 
The thought makes me feel sick to my stomach and I suddenly feel like I can't keep the secret in any longer.
 
"On the night of the dance I walked home early," I started, knowing that telling him would be a good thing, "Someone followed me." I believe that he'll listen to me, and not think of me as a liar or fabricator. "I don't know who he was, but the things he said were disturbing. He said that I'd eventually be his, and called me bad things that I've never been called before." I can feel my eyes prick with tears from fear of the situation, but I push myself forward. "Earlier tonight, a light tapping from my windowsill woke me up. I was going to see what it was, but then I heard someone knocking on the door from downstairs. It was probably just my paranoia, but..." I stop as a tear slides down my cheek, "I'm afraid that it was him again."
 
I watched his face stay completely neutral as I finished, but I couldn't help hugging my knees to my chest as I tried to reassure myself of my fears.
 
"Did you see what he looked like, or what kind of car he drove?" Sesshoumaru began asking anything he could, probing for any possible clues.
 
"The car was silver, I remember that," I say with certainty, then remember his odd clothing. "He had a black, full length coat and black pants," I added, closing my eyes and trying to remember his face. "I didn't see his facial features or anything," I say and nearly cry at that alone; I know that without an idea of what he looks like, no one will be able to do anything.
 
After a few minutes of tense silence, my jaw nearly drops to the floor at his next few, but mind blowing words. "You are not safe here any longer."
 
I shake my head, knowing that leaving home isn't an option. I hardly make enough money to have a measly allowance, never mind enough for an apartment. The last thing I can or want to do is go to the police, seeing how they won't be able to help me anyway, and it'd all be a waste of time.
 
"I have no where to go," I finally say, even though I dread myself for pointing this out.
 
"You'll have to stay with me, then; you trust me, do you not? I'm Sesshoumaru Taishou, after all," he adds, an almost smug look replacing his previously neutral features.
 
"You've got to be shitting me," I can't help but reply, and have to clamp my hand over my mouth as I laugh mirthlessly. "Stay with YOU? I hardly even know you! I'd probably be safer on the street, seeing how you're nothing short of a womanizer."
 
He looks slightly discomfited by my accusation, but doesn't deny it. "I'll keep you safe; my family is rich and we've got several spare bedrooms in which you could stay. I could drive you to and from school every day, as well as whenever you need to go out, such as to the mall or work." His plan is practically flawless, except...
 
"I couldn't do all of this for free, whether you're rich or not," I mumbled, hating him every second for his suggestion. I somehow can't imagine Koji agreeing to this...
 
"Then you could pay a small fee every month from your work money, perhaps a hundred dollars or two for the cost of rent and food."
 
I grit my teeth, not liking the idea of living in the same house as him.
 
"Until we figure out who that man is, you'll be safe, fed well and driven to wherever you need to go. Plus, if necessary, we'll keep this as our little secret and not tell anyone about it from school. Are there other complaints?"
 
I couldn't believe that he'd offer me a place to stay out of the goodness of his heart without wanting anything in return.
 
“I don't see my brother eagerly agreeing to your `flawless' plan, Sesshoumaru,” I say, feeling proud that I found a flaw in his plan.
 
“I could talk him into it; I tend to have a way with people. Additionally, if he was your brother and truly cared for you and your safety, he wouldn't say no. He'd see this as a means to having you kept somewhere where no one could get to you.”
 
I frown, seeing things from his point of view, but I still can't take believe that there are no strings attached to his plan. "What's the catch? You're not known to be nice like this on a daily basis, I've discovered."
 
"All I ask for is a chance; be my date for the next dance, and we'll call it even… regardless of whether things work out for us or not."
 
My eyes widen and I growl, but before I can give my reply I turn around at the sound of footsteps and gasp when I see who it is…
 
XxXx
 
Author's Note
 
Angel: I know, this chapter took me a long, long time to write… I might have people hating me right about now, but… Ah well, no use in giving excuses! All that matters is that I've posted for all of my readers—a rather suspenseful chapter, might I say!
Things might seem a bit abrupt, but I don't plan on having the two of them hooking up right away just because they may (or may not) live in the same house together.
 
Jon: Angel wouldn't rush these sorts of things—she likes taking her time to develop some romance.
 
Angel: I know that the AN this time around is short, but I really don't want to babble any more than I have to. I hope I've still got readers, despite the super late chapter. Regardless, I hope everyone enjoys my writings and leaves their thoughts and opinions in a review!
 
P.S. To the `not-so-flaming-flamer' from Chapter TwelveAKA “butter”:
I've heard many times that when women come into situations such as these, they don't speak of their experience right away, which is why I had her telling her secret put off for a bit.
I wasn't going to have that kept out of the story for forever, you know.
I believe that Rin would be able to begin to trust Sesshoumaru, although not fully yet, at this point in time. I feel like they have a connection of some sorts, which is why I'm pursuing the story in this fashion.
Also keep in mind that this is a FICTIONAL story and I'm not always going to go by what might've happened to women in Rin's position in a real-life situation.
If you don't like what I'm writing or how I'm writing, don't read my story. Plain and simple, missy.
 
Having said this, thanks to all of my previous reviewers; your words of criticism and excitement were wonderful to see!
 
Until the next chapter!
 
Sincerely,
Angel and Jon