InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Antagonists Unite ❯ Chapter Sixteen ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Antagonists Unite
By: DarkCrystalis and editedby Jon04CTSV
XxXx
Chapter Sixteen
Sesshoumaru's P.O.V.
“Bitch, get off of me and get out of my fucking house,” I growl to Kikyo as I run after Rin. I know she's heart broken right now, and as much as I'd like to say that this isn't my fault, I know it kind of is. If I'd just shut the door in her face as soon as Kikyo had gotten here, none of this would've happened.
When I close the front door before walking to Rin's room, I feel a little better knowing Kikyo's gone. I'll have to invent a humiliating situation for her back at school on Monday, but for now, that isn't important.
I need to try and talk to Rin like a friend would, although a part of me thinks she wants to be left alone for a bit. In fact, as the way things stand, a relationship with Rin looks impossible right now—but maybe, just maybe, she'll understand what happened and look past it. Would I feel for her like I do now if she weren't an understanding person?
I don't have time to think more about this because a second later, a light sob emanates from her room. I grit my teeth and feel like a jerk by one hundred fold. She sniffles and sobs quietly as I imagine her shoving her tear-streaked face into her pillow, trying to make less noise, making me feel even worse.
I brace myself for her hatred as I open my contaminated lips. “Rin? I need to talk to you for a minute, can you let me in?” Instead of the cold words I expect, silence is her only answer. Even when she's angry at me, she doesn't disrespect me… I'm a real jackass, aren't I?
“If you need time to calm down or whatever before you talk to me, I get it, I can leave you alone. I just really have to tell you something…” I struggle for words for one of the few and worst times in my life, and I feel embarrassed all of a sudden.
A high pitched noise creeps from her mouth, a cry which suddenly makes me feel weak, knowing that I was the one that did this to her. I have to resist the strong urge in knocking down that door to comfort her and tell her that it was all a mistake, so I run down the stairs and outside my house.
I sit on the cement steps for a long time, brooding over what just happened. I realize how much pain I've caused her, but also how much she means to me. With resentment, I make a decision.
XxXx
Rin's P.O.V.
A few hours later…
Sonna toki itsu datte
me o tojireba
waratteru kimi ga iru
 
It is true—I can see him laughing with my eyes closed, even when I cry. It's a painful thing, being betrayed like I just was. Sesshoumaru isn't who I thought he was at all, but how could I have even expected anything from him to begin with? He's just a classmate; we live together, but he's never really shown any interest in me, has he?
 
How could I be so stupid?
 
These thoughts make me cry harder, and I suddenly loathe myself more than ever in my entire life. I put my heart out on the line for the first time, and look what happens. It just wasn't meant to be.
 
Hang on a second here…
 
Why am I crying, anyway? If he wants to be with Kikyo, it's his prerogative, isn't it? It's not like we were a couple and he cheated on me… We are just friends; can't he do whatever he wants in his personal life?
 
The hurt suddenly doesn't sting as much.
 
I feel less betrayed.
 
I'm suddenly colder…
 
I stop the tears from leaking underneath my lashes, knowing that I have to be strong; no one will be there to catch me if I fall, except me. If I'm strong and rely on myself, I will have the power to get through almost anything.
 
I force a smile onto my face and rub my soaked eyes tiredly as my stomach moans in hunger. “Great…” I mumble out loud to no one in particular as I head to the door. “I guess my heart isn't the only thing feeling tormented right now.”
 
When I leave my room, no one is there, and I'm thankful. I have the feeling that Kikyo is gone and that pleases me greatly, although I should feel indifferent about it. Just because I hate her doesn't mean she's not allowed over here… unfortunately…
 
I pour myself a bowl of cereal and munch on it, not really tasting the crunchy pieces of sweet grains as they swirl over my tongue. Although I've managed to convince myself that I'm not bothered by Sesshoumaru and Kikyo, a big part of me is still broken, upset, even; I can't help it…
 
Angrily, I knock over the empty bowl and watch as the metal spoon clatters to the kitchen floor. The sound scares me as it rings shrilly, the waves of sound echoing against the walls. I pick up the spoon reluctantly and put the dish in the sink.
 
Before I decide to do anything else stupid, I run out the door and head towards the park, hoping to find solace in the dark night.
 
XxXx
Sesshoumaru's P.O.V.
I didn't even notice her whiz past me until it was too late to catch up. I'd been so out-of-it that when she sprinted down the driveway I didn't see or hear her from my position in the outer gardens.
 
Strangely enough, I've always had the feeling that even though we have our differences, Rin and I are a good match-up for one another. She's sweet and occasionally sassy while I'm more proud and opinionated. God, I make myself sound great, despite the evil rumours at school which I never pay attention to. I find myself already missing her bubbly personality.
 
I'm beginning to sound like an old man that's just lost his wife of fifty years and that's sort of scary, now that I think about it.
 
XxXx
 
Rin's P.O.V.
 
I'm at the park, sitting on a swing, and I'm starting to wish that Sesshoumaru was here with me. I know, really stupid, especially since what I saw him doing with Kikyou, but I can't help it. A part of me wants to forgive him, while the other part of me is still fuming with anger.
 
Whenever we hung out in the past, it didn't look like he had an interest in anyone, especially not Kikyou, of all people. Wasn't he the one that shut her down at the movies? There were rumours about that around the school… Wasn't Sesshoumaru the one that's always been generally helpful to me? In fact, how could I forget the fact that he saved me from Kouga? Just thinking about that jerk gives me the shivers…
 
Maybe I over-reacted a bit; I mean, isn't it possible that this is all a misunderstanding…?
 
God, what am I thinking? This isn't a high school fairy tale where everything will work out in my favour and “all of my hopes and dreams” will come true. If it was, would things be as they are right now?
 
As I gently rock on the swing, I stare up at the sky and the crescent moon twinkles back brightly, unaccompanied by the stars which are hidden behind the clouds and smog of Tokyo. I wish that my friends were here with me, consoling me in the best ways they can. I know Kagome would give Sesshoumaru hell and Sango would punch the living daylights out of him; the thought almost makes me laugh.
 
I swing higher and faster, my sense of clarity dimming as it darkens outside. I feel like a child again with no worries or cares, yet something's holding me back. I can tell that someone followed me here and my heart leaps in my chest.
 
What if it's him…?
 
I twist my head around as far back as possible and see the man I don't want to see, his dark brown hair shining in the moonlight. There is an unvoiced sadness in his eyes which is slightly perturbing, but I stay silent.
 
“Kouga?” I ask tentatively, not knowing what else to say. “What are you doing here?”
 
He grinned wolfishly, a face I'd come to know over the past couple months in school. My body was completely alert, especially after his aggressive and unnerving attempt on making me his girlfriend not long ago.
 
“I come here at night sometimes, to get away from everything, you know?”
 
“I don't make a habit of going out at night, it's not exactly safe,” I told him as I got off the swing. I kept a safe distance, though; I didn't feel comfortable around him.
 
“You don't have to be afraid of me, you know,” he said as he neared me, “I won't try anything.”
 
The way he spoke, I somehow couldn't believe his words…
 
“What do you want, Kouga? I need to head home, so you'd better be quick.” With each passing second, my heart beat at a quicker pace. It told me I should run as fast as I can away from him.
 
“I want you to reconsider our relationship status,” he cleared his throat and stared into my eyes from a few meters away. “I went about it the wrong way and scared you. I didn't mean to do that… I want you to get to know me, feel comfortable around me, and like me.”
 
This is all just too weird.
 
“Look Kouga, I'm really not interested. I've already got enough to deal with right now and the last thing I want or need is a boyfriend. Anyway, I'm heading home now, so I'll see you around.”
 
I waved and walked away, part of me expecting him to grab my arms or to chase after me, but he didn't. As I glanced back from a far distance, he stood stock still, unmoving. I felt bad for him, but not enough to go back and apologize or anything.
 
As I got back to the house, Sesshoumaru sat on the front stairs, exactly where he'd been before I left. I stood and stared at him, but he stayed quiet.
 
Realizing that he wanted me to speak first, I asked the one question on my mind. “Where's Kikyou?” The bitterness in my voice must've taken him aback—he flinched noticeably from my harsh words.
 
“She left before you did,” he answered, sounding slightly upset.
 
“Well sorry if I made her leave!” I shot back, more angry than depressed.
 
“I made her go!” Sesshoumaru almost yelled back, hissing in frustration. “I never wanted that bitch here in the first place!”
 
“It sure as hell didn't look like it!” I snapped. “I wouldn't kiss and make out with person I didn't even want in my house!”
 
“You've got it all wrong!” Sesshoumaru's frustration rose and his cheeks coloured to mirror his feelings.
 
“Right… Are you going to tell me this was all an illusion, like some magic trick by Houdini? Or maybe I just saw it incorrectly, and she was seducing you?” I couldn't help saying these horrible things; I was so upset that I couldn't hold back.
 
He grabbed my face with his hands and my eyes scrunched closed, anticipating physical pain, but nothing came. I nervously looked into his eyes and wished I hadn't, because before I knew it his lips crushed mine in a lip-lock which screamed possession.
 
I shoved him away, wanting to spit, despite the desire I felt flowing in the pit of my stomach.
 
“She kissed those lips…” I whispered hoarsely. “I don't want to be close to the lips another woman has already claimed.” My eyes watered and I sobbed as I ran inside, not looking back. It was too painful to bear.
 
A tear streaked down Sesshoumaru's face as I disappeared from his sight, but I was too broken to notice.
 
XxXx
 
Author's Note
 
Angel: Holy hell, boys and girls, it's been a long time since I wrote one of these.
 
Jonathan: And it's about time you did, you lazy ass.
 
Angel: I wonder if anyone is still reading this.
 
Jonathan: I wonder if I still have to read this…
 
Angel: Meanie…
 
Anyway, part of the reason why I updated was because I saw people adding me to their favourite's lists (author and stories' favourite's lists) and it made me feel special. I was surprised that so many of you were reading my old fic, Eyes Like Yours. If you haven't read it, you might want to check it out, even though it kind of sucks in my opinion.

Another reason why I updated was because I know I had (hopefully HAVE) a lot of readers and I don't give up on stories. I don't want any of you to think that I abandoned this story! I'm here and even though I'm running out of ideas, I'm going to make this work!
 
(By the way, I'm not exactly happy with this chapter. I think it's sort of crappy, but hopefully someone out there will find it at least decent. Plus, this chapter was necessary to move things along a bit with the rocky relationship of Sesshoumaru and Rin.)
 
I've had so much writer's block which is why I haven't been able to write (well, the main reason) and hopefully after some more encouragement from you guys, I'll be able to write the next chapter in the near future.
 
I really hope that people didn't stop reading… that'd be sort of depressing, but I guess I deserve that treatment since this chapter took almost forever to write and post. I hope you'll all forgive me!!!
 
Until the next chapter (17!!),
 
Angel
and
Jonathan