InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Courtship ❯ Chapter seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Despite the mood Kagome had gone to sleep in, she woke up feeling happy. She knew it had to do something about a dream she had but she couldn't remember any details other than her, Inuyasha, and a lake. But she did know that she wanted to return to the dream and never wake up. In her dreams, she knew Inuyasha loved her for her and not because she looked like Kikyo.

Kagome rolled onto her back and stretched. Going back to sleep sounded really good but she wanted to gather some herbs before the weather got too hot. Frowning but not really meaning it, Kagome sat up and looked through the window. It was still early. Much earlier than she had gotten up yesterday. That was good. Maybe she would have time to help Miroku with his garden.

Leaning back on her hand, her fingers brushed against something soft and silky. Confused, Kagome looked down and saw one of the prettiest Ume flowers she had ever seen. Slowly and a bit shaky, Kagome gently picked up the flower. Tears started to form in her eyes as she stared at the beautiful gift. Inuyasha had brought this for her.

Kagome choked on a sob. This was too much. She didn't care what she promised Sango, she couldn't bare to receive such beautiful things when she knew Inuyasha didn't really love her.

Not bothering to dress or offer Kaede or Shippo, who were starting to wake, an explanation, Kagome ran outside, the flower protectively in her hand. She didn't care what others would think if they saw her in her yukata. Her old school uniform had revealed much more so she thought nothing about her looking indecent, especially since this couldn't wait.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome called as she ran outside. Out of habit, she scanned the trees first, looking for his red hoari or silver hair. When she saw he wasn't there, she looked p to the roof. There he was, sleeping on his side, curled up like a baby. She would have smiled if she weren't so upset. Kagome's brows lowered as she stared at him. Strange, why didn't he hear her?

"Inuyasha," she called again.

This time, Inuyasha's ears twitched at the sound of her voice and he slowly opened his eyes. When he saw her standing there in just her yukata, he thought he was dreaming. The sun was at the right angle and he could see almost every detail. He would have continued thinking he was dreaming if he hadn't noticed the tears in her eyes. He wouldn't dream that. She didn't like the flower, Inuyasha thought to himself and he slowly rose and hopped down in front of her.

"What's wrong?" he asked her though he already thought he knew.

Kagome tried to say the words but she couldn't get them past the lump in her throat. What's wrong with you? Kagome yelled at herself. Tell him. But she couldn't. Kagome loved him and couldn't stand causing him pain. Rejecting him could cause him pain but if she had to do this, if not, they'd be lying to each other and to themselves.

Unable to say the words, Kagome did the next best thing. Without looking him in the eye, she held up the flower.

Inuyasha looked down at it and a pained look filled his eyes.

"Don't you like it?"

His words were soft but Kagome heard them. They surprised her enough that it snapped her attention back to him and her breath caught in her throat when she got a good look at him. He looked tired. Not as tired as Miroku but there were dark circles under his eyes. Kagome bit her lip. He had spent all night looking for the flower. Would he really do that if the only reason he was courting her was because she looked like Kikyo? Or did he really love her? Kagome didn't know but she did know that Inuyasha was afraid. She could see it in his eyes and by how stiff he was. He was afraid that she would reject him. Kagome had to fight harder to keep her tears from falling. Maybe the reason he was courting her was because she looked like Kikyo but he wouldn't be afraid of rejection if he didn't care even a little bit for her.

Though her fear wasn't put to rest, Kagome had a new hope and she softly relaxed. Then she did something not even she was expecting. She reached up and kissed his cheek before running back into the hut.

Inuyasha remained standing there with a surprised look in his eyes and a soft blush on his cheeks. He remained staring at where Kagome had stood as if he hadn't realized that she had run off. Slowly, he raised a hand and gently touched the cheek Kagome had kissed. A smile spread on his face and he looked back at the hut, his eyes holding pride and newfound hope. Kagome had kissed him. She wouldn't have done that if she was going to reject him but only if she was going to accept him. Inuyasha wanted to shout out his joy but he kept himself silent and went back to the roof. He was still tired despite what had just happened. He would get a few more hours rest then he would work on another plan just in case Kagome still had her doubts. Inuyasha's smile got bigger. He was going to have to thank the monk. So far his advice had been a real help.

Kagome leaned against the wall, her eyes wide in shock and a hand over her heart.

She had kissed him! What had she been thinking? Had she even been thinking at all? Kagome looked to the door, almost expecting Inuyasha to be there but she heard him up on the roof as he settled himself down for a nap. Was he disgusted?

Kagome looked down to the flower in her hand and smiled. No, she didn't think he was disgusted. Who cared if he was courting her for her looks, she could still enjoy his attentions. And what if he was courting her because he really did love her? Kagome held the flower to her heart and looked up to the roof. She wouldn't accept him now, not until she knew the intentions for his actions but she would let him continue to court her and even if her fears were true, she was going to enjoy it.

AN: Next chapter. Inuyasha spends some time with Kagome.