InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Courtship ❯ chapter six ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Inuyasha didn't realize that finding the perfect flower would be so difficult. Every flower he had found had some kind of flaw or he just didn't like it. It had taken him all night to just find one and with dawn closely approaching, he decided that one would have to be enough.

Inuyasha hopped from tree to tree, being careful with his cargo that he held protectively in his left hand. Inuyasha had gotten lucky finding this flower and he knew it. After all, it was past the season for this flower to be in bloom.

When Inuyasha had found the flower, he had just about given up. He had taken purchase on an Ume tree and had been debating whether or not he should give up for the night or continue looking. He was growing tired and he would soon need to rest but wasn't' sure if he wanted to. He wanted to find Kagome her flower.

He had decided that he would look for one more hour and was just about to continue his search when he decided to look up. He didn't know why, it was just something he felt he should do. He was surprised to catch a glimpse of an Ume flower. It was the only one the entire tree and it shouldn't have even been there. It should have turned into a fruit a long time ago.

Inuyasha hopped up to the branch and stared at the flower. It was perfect. The color was a soft white, the petals were in perfect shape, and the flower showed no sign of turning into a fruit. It was late, unique, and prefect for Kagome. Inuyasha had carefully plucked it from the tree, along with the two leaves growing with it. Now it was safely tucked in his hand and waiting to fulfill its purpose.

When Inuyasha entered the village, he was glowing with pride and hope and shaking with fear. What if Kagome hated the flower? Would that mean his chance with her would be over? What if she did like it? Would that mean she would accept him as her suitor or better yet, her mate?

Questions and possibilities continued to run through his head and he began to doubt if he should even give her the flower. He was debating on whether or not he should return to the forest and find her a gift he was used to giving her when he realized he was already at Kaede's doorway. He could hear their breathing and Shippo's quiet yelps. He could also smell the faint order from the stew they had that evening. He could also smell Kagome's sweet scent. That gave him the courage he needed. Quietly, Inuyasha crept into the hut and made his way over to Kagome's sleeping form.

She was sleeping alone tonight, Inuyasha quickly noticed and he glanced over to Shippo who slept at the adjacent end to Kagome's head. The kit had turned his blanket into a makeshift nest and though the kit was completely unaware of anything going on around him, he wasn't having a restful sleep. He wasn't used to sleeping alone. Inuyasha smirked. Shippo would have to get used to it. If Kagome accepted him and allowed him to claim her as his mate, he wouldn't allow the kit to sleep between them. Inuyasha lowered his eyes to Kagome and his smirked softened into an affectionate smile as he pictured their pup crawling between them and snuggling against them. That, Inuyasha wouldn't mind, as long as it was only once in awhile.

Kagome had been sleeping on her side, with her back toward Inuyasha but after he started imagining what their pup would look like, she rolled onto her stomach, now facing him. Inuyasha froze and his body tensed, preparing to make a break for it. Even though he hadn't done anything, Inuyasha wasn't sure how Kagome would react with him sitting next to her while she slept. She had smacked him the first time he had done so, and though she had been asleep and it had happened so long ago, he was still afraid she would do so again.

Kagome didn't wake, though she did mummer something so softly that not even he could understand it.

He wanted to see her face. When Kagome had rolled over, most of her hair had fallen over her face, blocking his eyes. It was risky and Inuyasha was sure he would be killed if she woke but he decided to take that chance. Very slowly, Inuyasha reached out his free hand and carefully brushed her hair aside, watching her movements and listening for a change in her breathing as he did so.

Kagome didn't stir and Inuyasha relaxed.

Inuyasha liked watching Kagome sleep. When they were traveling, he would spend most of the first few hours of the nights watching her. He loved the way she looked, with her face free from expression and her body completely relaxed. By sleeping so peacefully underneath his tree, she had been putting her life in his protection and she fully trusted him to do so and he had. He remembered wondering what he had done to gain that trust. Even in the beginning she had been so trusting of him when it had taken him some time to even start to relax with her.

What did I do to deserve you Kagome? Inuyasha cracked as smile and ran a claw down her cheek. I haven't treated you like I was supposed to. I usually pissed you off, and yet, you kept coming back to me. Do you want to be with me as much as I want to be with you?

As if hearing his thoughts, Kagome softly smiled and whispered his name. Inuyasha froze, his heart expanding with excitement. She was dreaming about him and the way she said his name, meant that it had to be a good dream. Maybe even a dream at a lake surrounded with white flowers. Inuyasha leaned closer, almost expecting her to say more but Kagome remained silent, though the smile remained. Again Inuyasha trailed his claw down her cheek, trying to entice her to say his name again but Kagome remained silent. Her stillness gave Inuyasha courage though and he traced Kagome's features with the pads of his fingers. He kept his touch light enough so not to wake her but firm enough to feel her skin and not tickle her. He ran his fingers over her brow, cheeks, hairline, and nose, trying to explore every detail and discover things he couldn't see with his eyes. Her skin was soft and firm, just like he imagined. Her hair was finer than he expected but he loved the texture and often found his hand returning to it.

He wanted to touch her eyes but avoided the area. He knew that the skin there was so sensitive that the lightest of touches would wake her. His hand drifted to her mouth and he gently ran his thumb across her bottom lip. The softness of it tempted him and Inuyasha ached to taste it. To run his tongue across it or nibble it but he wanted mostly to feel the softness against his own lips.

Inuyasha was actually leaning down toward her when Kagome wrinkled her nose before turning to bury her face in her pillow. She quickly relaxed again and turned back toward him, as if asking him to continue but Inuyasha had straightened and was scolding himself. He was glad that Kagome had turned from him when she did. He didn't want their first kiss to be stolen while she was asleep. He wanted her to be awake, with her body pressed up to his and her willingly kissing him back.

Inuyasha growled at himself as he mentally called himself every name he could think of. Deciding to leave before he did do something stupid, Inuyasha set the flower next to her pillow and glanced back at her. His eyes softened and he once again reached out to touch her but caught himself before he did. Swearing under his breath, Inuyasha quickly rushed out of the hut before temptation became too much for him.

Once outside, he took purchase on the roof like he had every night since he started courting Kagome. Lying on his back with his arms folded beneath his head, he stared at the stars. He was still scolding himself for daring to touch her and damning himself for not having the courage to continue his caress. But slowly, his scowls and curses turned into Kagome's face and he imagined what she would look like once she saw the flower. With that picture fresh in his mind, Inuyasha drifted off to sleep.

AN: I finally got this chapter up. Hurrah for me. It's not as long as I would have liked, though it was a lot longer written down. I'm working on the next chapter and I hope to have it posted in a day or two and you'll get to see Kagome's reaction is to Inuyasha's gift. Thanks for all the review and thank you Naishin no Miko for your help on the fruits and flowers.