InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Courtship ❯ Chapter seventeen ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

It was official. She was bored. Kagome sat on the bench a villager had brought for her. She was sitting in the shade, well, as little shade as there was. The sun was so high that the only shadow that was left only covered her body. But that was fine with her. As long as her head was out of the heat, she had no completes.

Kagome was healing as fast as was expected. The lump was barely noticeable and the bruise itself had begun to fade drastically in the past few days. She would most likely have a scar from the small cut but it wouldn't be noticeable unless someone was actually looking for it. She still got headaches every now and then but they were fewer now and she no longer needed Kaede's "pain reliever tea" to take care of it. Just going where it was dark and quiet usually worked and if not, a short nap did the trick every time.

Kagome bit her bottom lip and drummed her fingers on the wood impatiently. She wished somebody would get back here soon. For the past week, not counting the few days where Inuyasha had looked after her, Inuyasha and Shippo had gone into the forest every morning and wouldn't return until almost dinnertime. Normally, Kagome would have thought they were just training since both of them would be covered in dirt and sweat and Shippo would be so exhausted he would almost fall asleep in his food. Inuyasha wasn't much better since once he ate; he curled up on her futon and fell asleep as he watched her and Kaede clean up. But ever since Kagome had woken early enough she hadn't thought that. Not only were Inuyasha and Shippo leaving but Miroku and most of the village men and a few women.

Kagome hadn't noticed before but as she thought back, she now realized that the village had always seemed quieter and there were less people but her head had hurt so bad that she hadn't paid attention. Kagome looked around her now. Most of the women were still in the village. Some were tending to their gardens or doing laundry while others socialized. Kagome noticed that occasional looks were given her way. Most of the men that were left in the village were at least a dozen young, strong men, who, while continuing to work, stuck closer to the village and always faced the forest and the very old who did little but sit in the shade and entertain small children with their tales of adventure. Kagome was tempted to go over to listen to one now. It would at least give her something to do.

Kagome had asked Inuyasha what was going one but he had avoided the question by asking how she was feeling and now every time she brought it up he would smile and leave. The next time he did that she would sit him until he was so sore he wouldn't be able to move for a week, exactly as long as Kagome had been miserable. Unable to get the information out of Inuyasha, Kagome had gone to the best, reliable source, Shippo. She still had no clue on what was going on but at least Shippo hadn't avoided the question.

She had simply asked him what he knew and he had told her that he couldn't tell. Naturally, Kagome persisted to try and bribe the kit to talk. She promised everything she could think of. To cook his favorite meal every night for a month, to tell him his favorite bedtime story until he got sick of it, to even play his favorite game no matter how much she hated it. She tried everything short of candy, since the stash had been depleted months ago. And it hadn't worked. Shippo continued to hold his tongue and shake his head but he had become more nervous with every bribe and he kept sneaking glances at Inuyasha. He had wanted some of those things and Kagome knew it so instead of increasing the object of his desire, she increased the time he would have it. Kagome had thought she was getting somewhere when the kit had let out a heartbreaking wail and had leapt into her arms begging her to not make him tell, that he wouldn't be able to help if he did.

Shippo's wail had stopped Kagome's efforts immediately and after glaring at the hanyou who had been near the fire, looking innocent the entire time, she had gone into the effort of calming the kit. It didn't take long. After promising not to make him tell and after giving him a cup of milk and promising to cook his favorite breakfast in the morning, Shippo became his happy cheerful self again, if only a little tired. Kagome never saw the wink he gave Inuyasha.

Even though the easiest route to her answers had proved futile, Kagome didn't give up. After her head stopped hurting enough for her to venture out into the daylight again, the first thing Kagome did was head into the forest in the direction the men had gone. She had only gone ten steps when the village children ambushed her. Inuyasha had taken great steps to make certain she never learn of what they were doing. With fake spears and swords and acting as vicious as they could manage with wide smiles, the children had guided Kagome back to the village where they left her with a little girl who took her hand and guided her back to the hut. Kagome would have found it cute if she wasn't thinking on how to torture a certain hanyou.

The children continued to guard the forest, even making a game of it, turning Kagome into a spy and they into samurais or turning her into a youkai and them into warriors. It didn't really matter who they pretended to be cause the outcome was always the same. Kagome would get dragged back to her hut, which they had title the "prison."

Kagome looked to the forest now and saw that the children were at the edge, playing with dolls or fake swords. Kagome was tempted to go around them but she had no idea where to go from there. She was pretty sure that she could find a trial that would lead to where ever Inuyasha was but as cautious as Inuyasha was being, he might have left fake trails that would lead her back into the nest of children. Kagome's eyes narrowed. She didn't want that, her hips and backside were probably black and blue from all the jabs she got from "spears" and "swords."

Kagome looked in the direction of Sango's house. She could go visit them but Kaede was examining her to see how she was doing in her last month of pregnancy. She was sure Sango would want some privacy besides; she was more tired these past few days and needed her rest. Speaking of rest. Kagome yawned and stretched against the wall she was leaning against. She could probably use another nap. Her head wasn't hurting but she was still physically drained and needed her rest to help regain her strength and help her heal faster. Giving one last longing look to the forest, Kagome rose to her feet and went inside.

It was much cooler inside the hut than it was outside and Kagome couldn't help but feel relief. It was really hot outside. This summer was really a scorcher. No, she felt hotter but it didn't take away from the fact that it was uncomfortable.

Kagome debated on whether or not she should change into her yukata. The thin cotton would be more comfortable than her jeans. Plus, Inuyasha and Shippo weren't due back for another few hours so the chances of Inuyasha seeing her in it were slim but there was still that possibility that she would sleep longer than intended. Why did it really matter? Inuyasha had seen her in much worse and she had gone out in broad daylight so she could talk to him wearing just the thin yukata. Besides, Inuyasha had been sleeping beside her every night since she announced that she was his. Kagome blushed as she thought back on those nights. She had gotten used to sleeping with him though one time she did wake to find his hand on her breast. She had probably been blushing bright enough for a blind man to see.

Still blushing with the memory, Kagome decided to wear the yukata. It was the more comfortable of the garments and Inuyasha had already seen her in it so what was the harm. Yawning again, Kagome folded he clothes and set them aside to be washed later and curled onto her futon. She pulled a thin blanket over her but quickly changed her mind and threw it off. The summer heat was enough to cover her. Shifting until she got comfortable, Kagome quickly fell into a deep sleep, courtesy to summer heat and head injuries.

Montaro had been watching the girl from his own porch, leaning against the wall in the comfort of shadow, sipping his sake. It was his third cup and though Montaro wasn't much of a drinker, the drink appealed to him this day. He couldn't understand her. She had come to the village not much more than a week ago, injured and carried in the arms of the hanyou. He knew that the mutt had somehow caused the injury, whether it was intentional or not, it didn't matter, and instead of leaving him and turning to a human companion, she agreed to be his mate.

Montaro's eyes darkened. Now the bastard was building her a house. Honestly, if she wanted to belong to a youkai she should live like one, in caves or trees, sleeping on hard ground with little shelter. Maybe a couple days waking up dirty with bugs in her hair would make her realize her mistake.

No, it wouldn't. Montaro told himself. She had been sleeping on hard ground for almost three years and she hadn't complained or turned from the hanyou. Instead, she was going to be mated to him.

Montaro wanted to throw his cup against the wall but chose not to. He didn't want to draw attention to himself. His father had finally stopped following him with his stare and the villagers were no longer treating him like a parasite. If he did something violent, even as small as throwing his cup, even if it wasn't hard enough to break, they would once again start their ill treatment of him. Even though they had stopped the angry glares, the suspicious whispers, and accusing gossip, he still wasn't getting the respect he disserved but that would change in time.

Montaro's eyes lowered to Kagome's neck. She was still wearing the jewel and it seemed to be glowing more beautifully with her happiness. Did the jewel itself agree with the union or was it just reflecting Kagome's emotions? It didn't matter. Either way the jewel called to him. Beckoned him with its power and promises. The jewel would be his, Montaro vowed, and with it would come Kagome. He would gain her love through the jewel and if not that at least her body, that was all he really needed after all. And with the jewel he would show the villagers who he really was. A lord to be feared above all others.

A small group of boys ran by, playing a game Montaro had seen too often these past few days. They were playing, Inuyasha. The fools. Didn't they see Inuyasha for what he really was? A dirty hanyou who steals their women.

Montaro looked back at Kagome. She was wearing one of the shirts the hanyou had given her. If it had been given by anyone else, he might have admired the beauty of the garment but since it was given to her by the hanyou, he looked at it with disgust. He had given her the finest kimonos he could afford and she had refused him but accepted the hanyou's filthy garments. How could she like them so much, they showed off much more skin than the kimonos he got her.

Maybe that was the problem. Montaro remembered the strange clothing she wore when she first came to this time. It had been more reveling than what even a whore would wear. Maybe if he had given her something in that fashion, she would have accepted him.

Montaro watched as Kagome yawned and stretched, her shirt stretching across her breast and drawing his gaze. He wondered how she would taste. Would she taste sweet and pure as her aura promised? Of course she would. Something that beautiful and pure would always taste sweet. Kagome rose from her seat and disappeared into the hut. She was going to take a nap. The look of exhaustion on her face clearly said that.

The hanyou would taste her. The image invaded Montaro's thought and caused his blood to boil. And she would let the trash taste her. She would hold him close, whisper promises in his ear, touch him with her hands, seduce him with her body, and give herself to him only to repeat the process over again. The hanyou would have Kagome. Kagome and the jewel. No, Montaro couldn't allow it, the jewel was his, and Kagome was his. They were meant for him.

A dark look passed over Montaro's face and if anyone had seen it, they would have done something about it. Put a few men in front of Kagome's door, yell for his father or brothers, or just have gotten in the way themselves but no one saw it. All were too busy caught up in their work or social lives that they didn't notice Montaro sipped his sake and continued to watch the hut. As the desired amount of time passed, they didn't notice him casually making his way to Kaede's hut and nor did they see him disappear inside it.

Kagome was in such a deep sleep that it took her a moment to register what was happening when she was forced on her back. By the time she understood the danger she was in, it was too late, Montaro was on top of her and had quickly covered her mouth, muffling her screams and yells for help. Naturally, Kagome struggled. She kicked, she slapped, she punched but none of it was doing any good. Montaro was too close for any of her blows to be affected and all they seemed to do was make Montaro mad.

"Why?" he demanded of her, "Why do you fight me?" Kagome slapped him again and Montaro caught her wrist and forced it to the ground. That was her strong arm too. If it wasn't being affected then the other arm surely wouldn't. "I am above the hanyou. I am clean, pure. Not some filthy creature that never should have been aloud to draw first breath."

Kagome screamed at him through his hand. Demanding that he get off her, calling him every foul name she could think off. It went unheard and Montaro settled his weight more firmly on her.

Feeling his weight sink onto her and smelling the sake on his breath revolted Kagome and feeling his lips graze her neck almost made her gag. She fought harder. Pushing at him with her free hand and twisting and pulling the other to try and free it. Her attempts were futile though. Despite all her traveling and the fighting that she had done, Kagome was still physically weaker than Montaro and having his weight settled so firmly on top of her ruined any chances of escaping on her own.

"Yet you still want him," Montaro continued, trailing his lips down to her chest. The yukata had come loose in her struggles and a bit of skin showed that Montaro tasted. Kagome cried out in anguish at the feel of his tongue and tried to bite his hand but Montaro had put it in a position so she couldn't even nip him. "You can have something pure. Yet you want something dirty. What kind of miko are you?"

Kagome dug her nails into the back of his neck, digging so deep that she drew blood. Montaro reared back which gave Kagome room to fight and when he pulled his hand from her mouth she filled her lungs to scream for all the world to hear but the yell came out as a painful squeak when Montaro slapped her across the face.

The blow stunned Kagome into lying still for a moment but she fought all the harder when Montaro spread her legs and settle himself between him. She tried to scream again but Montaro was there, waiting and the moment her lips parted his mouth was upon them.

The kiss was hard and demanding, bruising Kagome's lips and causing one of her teeth to cut one. The taste of blood filled her mouth and that made her wonder if Montaro would kill her after he was done. The way he looked when he hit her, full of rage and hate, she was certain he was capable of such an act.

Montaro pushed his tongue into her mouth. Kagome didn't cry out that time. She was past crying now. Instead, she focused on fighting and getting herself out of this situation, and she bit him.

Montaro pulled back with a cry of pain and slapped Kagome again. He bloodied her lip and nose with that slap and Kagome was certain half of her face would be bruised but that didn't matter. What mattered was that a headache started, much worse than any had been the past few days and Kagome saw her vision blurring.

Kagome was almost willing to let the darkness claim her so she wouldn't have to watch and feel what he would do to her but sheer stubbornness and the image of Inuyasha and Shippo forced her to keep conscious.

Montaro covered her mouth again before Kagome gained the energy to scream and grabbed hold of the edge of her yukata.

"It doesn't matter," he whispered more to himself than to her. "You are mine. The jewel is mine and together, I'll have the world."

Kagome's eyes widened. The jewel. The main reason he was after her was for the jewel. For almost three years, they had battle against youkai to guarantee the safety of the jewel and now it seemed that it would fall into the hands of a demented human. Kagome would have found it ironic if Montaro hadn't started pulling up her yukata. Thank gods it got twisted in his hand when she started struggling again, tangling him up and making it difficult for him to find the tie of his hakama.

Kagome couldn't force him off her without help and the only way she would get help is if she yelled. Her fear became more blinding when Montaro succeeded in loosening his tie but he didn't push his hakama down yet but instead focused on her underwear. Kagome kicked and punched at him and gave a desperate cry when he found the hem and started working them down enough for him.

How could she get her mouth free? She couldn't bite him and her hands were too occupied fighting him. What else could she do? Somewhere, in the back of her mind, she remembered Sota licking her hand when she tried to keep him from squealing to her mother for something she couldn't remember. What she could remember is how she reflexively pulled away when better judgment told her not too.

It worked for Sota. Maybe it would work for her. Preparing herself to yell, Kagome slowly ran the tip of her tongue across Montaro's palm. It worked. Kagome would kiss her brother if he had been there right then. Montaro's hand instantly pulled away from her mouth and Kagome screamed.

"INUYASHA!"

Overcoming his surprise, Montaro slapped Kagome again, stopping the second cry from escaping her lips and ripping her underwear off. Kagome fought him all the harder, purposely tangling the yukata between them and praying to every god and deity that was listening, that Inuyasha would hear her and save her.

Unfortunately, Inuyasha was out of hearing range and even if wasn't, the pounding of hammers on wood would have drowned out any sound her voice might have carried at that distance. Fortunately though, the villagers heard and one bored youkai who was sitting in the shade, keeping a careful eye on her mistress had also heard.

Kirara heard the cry as if it was right next to her and quickly ran from in the direction of the sound, transforming into her larger self and nearly knocking down Kaede who had also heard the scream as she did so.

Kirara was naturally fast almost as fast as Inuyasha but now she pushed herself to limits not even she knew she had. She beat all the villagers to the door and didn't waist any time sinking her fangs into the human's right shoulder and throwing him off Kagome.

Unbearable pain ran throughout Montaro's body as he clutched his injured shoulder. He could feel the blood running down his side and pooling around his body. Slowly, though blinded in pain, Montaro opened his eyes to see the taijiya's pet youkai standing over the shivering Kagome in her larger form. Blood, his blood, was dripping from her mouth. A growl, barely audible was vibrating inside her throat and chest and was making the walls shake. And she was staring at him with an enraged, almost hungry expression.

Montaro should have been afraid for his life. Maybe it was blood loss. Maybe it was the pain. Or maybe he was too insane to understand the danger he was in but his eyes narrowed from the wide, pain filled, surprised expression to one of anger.

First the kit, then the hanyou, now the cat? Was every youkai trying to make sure he couldn't take what was rightfully his? Montaro lowered his eyes to Kagome. She was protectively holding her yukata to her chest and was lying there, shivering under Kirara as she watched him.

He almost had her. If he had only been a little faster or if the cat had been slower, he would have had her first.

Montaro slowly climbed onto shaky feet and made a step toward Kagome and the youkai but never completed it when he found himself once again, thrown against the wall. He didn't fall to the ground this time since the hand that had grabbed him held him up but the pain that spread through his body like fire made him cry out. When he opened his eyes, he paled.

His younger brother, Kazuo stood before him, so close, he could feel his hot breath on his cheeks.

If Montaro feared anyone other than Inuyasha it was Kazuo. Kazuo was his junior by two years but Kazuo had always been stronger than Montaro. If Montaro had done anything out of line when they were younger, it was Kazuo who would make him pay for it if their father either had not known about it or had not punished him enough to please Kazuo. What made matters worst was Kazuo had gone to train to be a samurais and though he was still far from mastering the trait, he could easily kill Montaro or any man in the village.

Kazuo wasn't due home for another two days. He must have gotten away from the school earlier than intended or the road had been easy on him.

Kazuo's eyes narrowed and Montaro trembled.

"Never in my life, did I expect you to try something so low." Kazuo's voice was low and calm, the voice of death. Montaro whimpered but Kazuo ignored it.

"Raping, even attempted rape is unforgivable, brother," Kazuo growled as his temper slipped a little. The only reason he wasn't yelling was because he could hear the girl behind him, whimpering and sniffling. She was scared enough and didn't need him adding to it.

"I would kill you right now, brother or not, but it is for the sake of Lady Kagome that I do not." Kazuo brought his brother from the wall and tossed him to the other men who had been standing in the doorway watching. "Go tend to him," he ordered. "I don't want him dead as he receives his punishment."

The men nodded and quickly left, dragging a half conscious Montaro with him and leaving a trail of blood behind them. Kazuo stared down at it. He would have to get that cleaned. He was sure Kaede wouldn't want a bloodstain on her floor. Kazuo looked over to the girl and saw that the fire cat was gently nuzzling her and the girl had her face buried in the youkai's neck. She was visibly trembling and he could hear the muffled sobs. It pulled at his heart.

Kazuo knew that the girl had been beaten. He had caught a glimpse of blood on her face when he had rushed into the hut. That fact almost made him run and kill his brother. Kazuo couldn't understand how he and his brother could be so different. Montaro thought the world belonged to him, while Kazuo thought that he belonged to the world. Montaro was violent toward women where Kazuo was gentle and treated them like they were the most valuable things on earth, which in his opinion they were. After all, only women could give life. Kazuo worked hard to for his family, this one and a future one someday, while Montaro waited for their father to die and leave everything to him. Kazuo valued life and justice, Montaro valued power.

They were raised by the same parents, given the same education for the money they had, and yet they had turned to be completely different from each other. No, Montaro was different from them. Kazuo thought. Their younger brother was almost exactly like Kazuo, only a little more hyper.

Kazuo went to the water pitcher and soaked the rag that was lying next to it before approaching the girl. He did so slowly. He didn't want to scare her even more and he met the youkai's eyes to let her know that he meant no harm and gently touched the girl's shoulder.

Kagome yelped and held to the youkai tighter which was to be expected, but she didn't pull away like he feared she would but after a few calming breaths, turned to face him. Kazuo's lips thinned. Half of her face was badly bruised. Her lip was cut and slowly bleeding along with her nose. He was thankful that her eye seemed to be fine; one of the bruises was dangerously close to it. Gently, Kazuo cupped her chin and began to clean away the blood and tears. She flinched a couple times but was too exhausted to stop him and nor did she worry. Kirara was here to protect her. Kagome clenched the tuff of fur she had in her hand and Kirara purred and nuzzled her in away to calm her. Plus, this man helped her. Kagome bit her lip and he quickly pulled it free and wiped up the new drop of blood. She wanted Inuyasha.

Kaede was panting when she made it to the hut. One of the men had tried to explain to her what happened but Kaede was in too big of a hurry to listen to him. All her focus was on getting to Kagome and saving her from whatever danger she was in. Kaede never thought about the jewel, which in the past might have been her biggest worry but now it was all on Kagome, her friend, her adoptive daughter.

When Kaede made it past the crowd and inside, the first thing she saw was a pool of blood and almost thought the worst but then she heard Kagome whimper in pain, she looked up to see Kagome, clinging to Kirara as her face was cleaned by Kazuo.

Kaede rushed to her as fast as her old body could but calmly sat next to her so she wouldn't frighten the girl. Without being asked, Kazuo told the story from what he found and after a few questions and calming words, Kagome told them what Montaro had said to her. She was clutching the jewel as she did so. It had fallen into her hair while she struggled with Montaro and she wondered what would have happened if he had seen it. All the images were frightening and Kagome shivered.

Seeing this, Kaede put a supporting arm around her.

"Would you like to stay at Sango's?" Kaede asked.

Kagome nodded.

Kaede looked to Kazuo who went to the door and yelled for someone. A few moments later, two women that Kagome recognized but didn't know entered the hut and gently helped her to her feet. They both whispered comforting words to her but Kagome heard none of it as she walked into the sunlight. She wanted Inuyasha.

Kaede and Kazuo waited until Kagome was out of sight before speaking again.

"Where is he?" Kaede asked.

"His wounds are being tended to," Kazuo answered. "He would have died otherwise and that wouldn't have been justice for Kagome."

"You wish for his death."

"That is the only punishment he disserves."

"Disserves, yes, but Kagome won't allow it. It would pain her soul."

"Then what do you suggest?"

It sounded harsher than Kazuo intended but his nerves were stretched thin. He would need to meditate for hours to calm the rage inside him, hopefully then, he wouldn't end up tearing his brother apart.

"Banishment." Kaede answered. "Let him survive in the wilds alone."

Kazuo nodded his agreement. That fate was probably worse than death for his brother who hated the wilds as much as he hated youkai. Most likely, Montaro wouldn't make it through winter but that was up to fate. Let her decide Montaro's fate on the road.

Kazuo looked to the door.

"Should I send for Inuyasha?"

Kaede quickly shook her head.

"No. If he returns now he will kill Montaro and ruin his relationship with Kagome. I have a potion that will return Montaro's strength. We'll give him that then send him on his way. He'll be miles away before Inuyasha returns."

"The hanyou will be angry that he wasn't informed."

"I am prepared for that."

By the look on the old woman's face, Kazuo didn't doubt it.

Less than an hour later, with a bandage arm that would be forever useless, Montaro left the village. He wouldn't return. As badly as he wanted Kagome and the jewel his useless arm would make him unable to fight, even against a woman. He wouldn't last long on the road. A man used to indoors who never learned the basic steps of survival was doomed to die alone in the wilds. He wouldn't even last a month. Hungry, cold, and with a useless arm, he would die to a pack of wolves that weren't even hungry but carrying out orders from their youkai master. Even then, he thought about the jewel.

When Inuyasha returned that evening and found out what happened, angry wasn't close to what he felt. He wanted to chase the human down and kill him. He would have too if the barrier placed at the door and walls hadn't burned him enough to leave him unconscious for a few minutes. His anger grew then and Kaede let him vent, tearing apart her things, putting holes in the floor and causing enough racket to wake the dead. After he had worn himself out, or more to say, ran out of lifeless things to destroy that weren't Kagome's, did he sit down and let Kaede talk.

He appeared calm when he left the hut to head to Sango's but he was shaking on the inside. He couldn't help but feel that he should have been there to protect Kagome. Instead, Kirara and a human he had never met had rescued her. He was eternally grateful but he couldn't help but feel guilty.

Inuyasha took a deep breath. She was safe now, that was what mattered. But would she still want her? What if Montaro had traumatized her so much that she would feel both fear and disgust at the touch of male? He had heard of that happening and prayed that it wouldn't happen to Kagome. He didn't want her to fear him. Not after all they've been through and not after they claimed their love for each other.

When Inuyasha entered Sango's hut, he saw Kagome sitting near the fire with a thick blanket wrapped around her. She was rocking back and forth, watching the flames. Sango was sitting next to her, rubbing her back and caressing her hair. Kagome would respond with her words with either a nod or shake of the head. At least she was responding. Inuyasha thought. Kirara was curled up next to them, supporting Sango with her huge size and nuzzling Kagome with her muzzle. Miroku was sitting against the wall, watching but remaining quite. He had his staff in his hand and his knuckles were white. He too wanted to go after Montaro. Once inside the hut, Shippo leaped from Inuyasha's shoulders where he had been since they left Kaede's hut and made to run for Kagome but Inuyasha scooped him back up and placed him next to Miroku. Shippo seemed to understand for he remained where he was without a word of complaint.

Inuyasha slowly walked to Kagome, ready to back away if she needed him to but when she sensed his presence and looked up at him, a mixture of relief, pain, and fear filled her eyes and she reached up to him like a child wanting to be picked up. Inuyasha didn't hesitate but swept her into her arms and went to the closest wall to the fire where he sat with her in his lap. Kagome curled in his lap almost instinctively and began to cry, saying she was sorry and asking him to hold her. Sango and Miroku took this as a sign to leave and with a call to Shippo and Kirara; they disappeared into one of the other rooms.

Inuyasha and Kagome sat there throughout the night. Kagome's tears eventually dried up and she fell asleep listening to Inuyasha's soothing voice tell her how much she loved her. She asked him to kiss her before she did surrender to the darkness quickly approaching her and smiled when he did. It was a gentle kiss; just enough pressure to tease and it caused Kagome to snuggle against him when it ended. Inuyasha held her close, completely wrapping her in her arms and hiding her from the world.

Though Inuyasha was still on edge from what happened he couldn't help but feel relief from just that simple kiss. Kagome was still his. She hadn't refused him after the attack and never will. She would bare his pups, love him every day and night, and would grow old with him.

Wait.

Inuyasha gritted his teeth. Kagome would grow old with him but he wouldn't grow old with her. With the youkai blood in his veins he would live far longer than her. True, he wouldn't live as long as full-blooded youkai but he would live for several hundred years. Kagome would die in only half of one. Inuyasha held Kagome tighter. Those years would be heaven but he couldn't go on living after she was gone. He needed her beside him always. But she would grow old, die, and leave him before he even began to look older.

Inuyasha lowered his eyes to the jewel that hung around Kagome's neck. Unless something was done about it. But which wish to make. Was he to made the wish that would take away his youkai blood and leave him human? Inuyasha hated being human but for her he would do it. Or was he to make her age like him? He was tempted to make that wish right then and there but shook his head. It was her decision. If she wanted to age like a human he would become human for her. If not, he would make it to where she aged slower. Besides, she might like the idea of seeing her family again.

Yawning from both physical and emotional exhaustion, Inuyasha feel asleep, never noticing that Miroku came in carrying at whimpering Shippo who he placed near the couple. Shippo didn't climb into Kagome's lap like he would have done out of fear of waking one of them. Kagome looked like she could use all the sleep she could get and with what he had seen Inuyasha do to Kaede's hut, he didn't want to take the risk of angering him. Miroku gave Shippo a blanket that he quickly turned into a nest. He wouldn't fall asleep as quickly as he had been lately but at least he was near them.

Seeing that Shippo was taken care of, Miroku grabbed some bowls and filled them with the simmering stew he had left on the fire. It was a little burnt but that would be hardly noticeable. He told Shippo to eat when he got hungry and to let the others know that it was there if they woke up after setting the pot away from the flames. It would be easy to reheat if they wanted it. Then he returned to his wife who was awaited her dinner and the news on Kagome and Inuyasha. She would be pleased to know there would be a wedding.

AN: This chapter was really hard to right. I hate rape and I hate writing about it, even attempted rape. It is probably the worst crime there is and I hate how some people take it so lightly but it was essential for this story and I think I tortured Montaro enough for my and everyone else's pleasure. I don't know when the next chapter will be up, soon I hope, so I'll give myself a deadline and say…Tuesday. It will be up Tuesday, if not sooner.

Next chapter: The Shikon no Tama is used.