InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Courtship ❯ Chapter Eightteen ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Inuyasha sat in the shade of a tree, watching Kagome play with Shippo. It had been a couple days since the incident with Montaro and Kagome seemed to be healing nicely. Her bruises weren't too bad and would hardly be noticeable in a couple days. The cut on her lip would take longer but that was simply because Kagome has a habit of biting her lip when she was nervous or concentrating on something. Her emotional scars weren't deep, thank the heavens, but she got nervous whenever she was alone. It was understandable and Inuyasha expected it, that's why he hadn't left her sight since that day. He wanted to finish the house, it was his to build but he wanted to wait until Kagome was comfortable without him. Besides, Miroku knew the design and was forcing the villagers to stick to it no matter how much they complained or how often they said it wouldn't work and Miroku and he would talk about the progress.

It was going smoothly and would probably be done within the next week. All that would be left would be to furnish it. Inuyasha smiled. He already had that taken care of. He had several things of his mothers hidden away, they weren't much but they were a nice start and he thought that Kagome would like to take care of the interior decorating on her own. He had already talked to one of the villagers who would be heading to a small town to sell his goods and had asked him to purchase a futon for him. He had to give him a week's worth of furs but that was easy work.

Shippo squealed when Kagome began tickling him and Inuyasha smiled. He hadn't given her the kimonos yet and he was wondering if he should wait until after they were married. Of course, he could give her one to use for the wedding. The gold one would be perfect, or the white one decorated with Ume branches in full bloom and the purple hem. Or even the solid red one would work. Inuyasha couldn't decide. They all would look beautiful on her.

Inuyasha bit his lip. He still hadn't asked her about the wish. Hell, he hadn't even purposed to her yet. He wanted to wait until she recovered until he did.

Shippo escaped Kagome's grasp and ran off toward a tree where he could escape her.

Now was as good of a time as any.

Inuyasha waited until Shippo climbed up the tree before leaping in front of Kagome. She "eeped" and almost fell on her backside but Inuyasha caught her and held her to him.

"Inuyasha!" she swatted him on the chest, "you let him get away."

Inuyasha smiled before kissing her, stopping her from pulling out of his arms and attempting to climb the tree to get to the more nimble kit. Kagome slumped against Inuyasha, completely forgetting about Shippo and losing herself in the kiss. Inuyasha heard Shippo gag above his head and waved him away. Shippo growled a complaint and left to head to the worksite. Other than playing with Kagome and training that was all he wanted to do.

Inuyasha slowly pulled away from the kiss once Shippo was gone and kissed her forehead, making sure to avoid the bruise that was healing nicely.

"I want to ask you something."

It took a moment for Kagome to register what Inuyasha was saying and when she did she couldn't speak. That kiss had been so full of emotion that it was literally stolen her breath. She caught it when Inuyasha fingered the jewel.

"You want to use the jewel?"

Inuyasha nodded.

"What's your wish then?"

Inuyasha took Kagome's hand and led her to a nearby tree and sat down in the shade and pulled her into his lap. Kagome settled comfortably against him and looked up at him from over her shoulder. Inuyasha nuzzled her neck before resting his chin on her head.

"Kagome, do you know how I age?"

Kagome furrowed her brows in confusion.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Inuyasha ignored her.

"By the time you die of old age, I will still look the same, maybe a little older."

Kagome frowned. She didn't know that and she didn't like it. She would grow old, die, and leave him alone while he was still young. Kagome knew how she would feel if that happened to her. She would die shortly after from a broken heart.

"I can wish to become human," Inuyasha continued, "and grow old with you."

Kagome pulled from his embrace and turned to face him. She ended up straddling his lap but was too upset from what he said to be embarrassed about it. Inuyasha noticed and a faint blush tinted his cheeks and he felt the tingling of desire start in his blood. He had a dream when they were in this position. It had been one of the more tender ones.

Inuyasha forced the thought out of his head and pushed Kagome away slightly so he wouldn't be tempted more than he already was.

"I don't want you to be human," Kagome told him. "I love you the way you are and I would miss the ears."

Kagome smiled as she reached up and began to scratch his ears. Inuyasha growled his annoyance but was leaning into her touch. His heart had practically leaped in happiness. Kagome loved him like this. Not a weak human that could easily die but as he was, a hanyou, the only thing he wanted to be. But would she want to give up her mortality for him?

Kagome released his ears and lowered her hands to his shoulders.

"How about I wish to turn into a hanyou that way I'll never leave you?"

Inuyasha immediately shook his head. Like her, he loved her the way he was and he was also counting on her human blood to allow his children to appear less youkai so they would have a better childhood. There was still a strong change that they would have the youkai characteristics that he had since even if the human blood was thicker, the youkai blood would still be the dominate.

"No, I don't want that." Inuyasha kissed her forehead when she went to protest. "But I do have an idea. We wish for you to age like I do. You keep your humanity, I stay a hanyou and we both grow old together."

Kagome thought for a minute and started biting her lip. Inuyasha pulled it away to keep her from to more damage. She was worried about something.

"What is it?"

"Will we outlive our children? They will be more human than you, after all. I don't want to watch them die. No parent should outlive their children."

Inuyasha shook his head.

"They will age quicker but we should still die before then." Inuyasha looked hopeful. "So, do we make the wish?"

Kagome smile was almost big enough to make her lip start bleeding again and she took of the jewel and handed it to him.

"This means I get to see my family again, doesn't it?"

Inuyasha returned her smile and nodded. He knew she would be happy about that. Inuyasha took the jewel and made the wish. As soon as he made it the jewel began to glow bright pink and after looking at Kagome, he noticed she was too. Both of them began to grow so brightly that both vanished in his sight from the intensity. Inuyasha almost closed his eyes but kept them open. He didn't know what he was expecting but he wanted to watch.

Nothing spectacular happened. As soon as the light reached it intensity, it faded away and Kagome sat before him and the jewel was gone. There appeared to be no change. She looked the same. Smelled the same but after paying closer attention to it, Inuyasha noticed there was a slight difference in her scent. It was similar to the sent of youkai blood but was still human. The wish had worked. Kagome wouldn't die and leave him alone but would age with him.

Inuyasha smile was almost as blinding as the jewel's glow and before Kagome could question whether or not the wish had worked, Inuyasha's mouth was on her in a breathtaking kiss. Kagome clung to him and felt Inuyasha's hands tighten as he brought her closer to him. The kiss was passionate and full of happiness and both embraced each other in their joy.

Slowly, Inuyasha pulled away but didn't release her and rested his forehead against her's.

"I have one more question."

"What?"

"Will you marry me?"

Kagome looked up at him. That was more surprising then finding out that he had been courting her. She had talked to Sango and had learned how youkai claimed their mates and she figured that once she was well, Inuyasha would claim her. She had never expected him to ask her to marry her. Claiming her in the human custom. But her surprised turned to joy. Ever since she was a little girl she had dreamed of her wedding day and now she was getting one.

Smiling, Kagome nodded and met him half way as he kissed her again.

"Yuck. Don't you two ever stop?"

Both pulled away to see that Shippo had returned. He looked a little dirtier but he still had that playful gleam in his eyes. Inuyasha growled, though Kagome noticed there was no hostility in it, and gently set her aside. Shippo's eyes widened and he took off with Inuyasha right on his heels. He was laughing and screaming the entire time.

Kagome smiled as she watched them then looked up to the sky. She was the closest thing to immortal and she was getting married. She wished her family were here so they could witness the occasion but after thinking about it, she could always convince Inuyasha to perform the service for them in the future. Kagome smiled. She was getting married.

AN: Got done sooner than expected. Hurray for me. I don't really like this chapter but I'll deal with it. I know a lot of people wanted me to turn Kagome into a hanyou but I could never picture her like that, just as I couldn't imagine Inuyasha remaining a youkai. I know there are a lot of stories like that and those I have read have been really good but I just couldn't do it. But I think I did all right. I don't know when the next chapter will be out. I'm physically and emotionally exhausted from all the stress at work so I think I need a few days of R&R. Thank you for all the reviews. Over 140. I never expected this. It makes me want to right a sequel.

Next chapter: (Smiles). Take a wild guess.