InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Our Farewell ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or its characters.

Author's Note: A good friend brought to my attention that the choice of burial could raise some confusion. I realize that cremation is the burial style in Japan, but my inspiration came from a song...thus my choice of a full ground burial. The image of a girl thrown over the fresh graves of her family conjured up this story, so I must remain true to my inspiration, regardless of the culture's tradition. I can do that... because it's fanfiction. Just wanted to let everyone know that I realize the Japanese tradition, but needed to sacrifice reality to write my fiction. ;p

Darkness Fades to Dawn

Our Farewell

She raised her tear stained face from her arms. She couldn't bring herself to leave them. Not yet. It must be so cold and lonely for them. She shuddered as another shovel of dirt was tossed onto one of the caskets.

How could this have happened? Why had everything gone so wrong? That damn jewel was the bane of her existence. The twisted desires for the Shikon no Tama had brought so much pain and suffering with its very presence. She had traveled to the past only to be confronted with her future. She was the new protector of the jewel, a reincarnation of a once powerful priestess. Together with the hanyou Inuyasha, the taijiya and monk, they had vanquished Naraku and retrieved the jewel.

Now she found herself stuck on her side of the well; the completed jewel hanging around her neck discreetly tucked beneath her funeral garb. The well had sealed and she was forced to continue her life as an ordinary high school student. The last three months had been painful. Just last week she had finally finished school for the year. They had all celebrated her high marks. Just a week ago they had all been together.

Such warm thoughts would not change their fate now. Since her return she had sensed a growing uprising of dormant youkai; each coming out of the woodwork to try and claim the jewel of four souls. The first few attacks had been easy for her to deal with but each progressive attack became more trying. Stronger youkai were awakening or coming out of hiding as the presence of the jewel became known.

The last attack had been devastating.

Her mind numbed as the last shovel of dirt fell. A single tear escaped from her red and swollen eyes. The fresh graves causing the air to smell like earth and death. She stood on weak legs to place fresh flowers, first on one and then on the other. Bowing her head in silent prayer she let the tears fall once more.

Returning to her quiet home Kagome trudged through the kitchen and up the stairs. Too exhausted to even eat she made her way to the comfort of her bed. She eyed the two closed doors in the hallway as she passed before opening her own and collapsing into bed, ignoring her attire as she hugged the pillow for comfort.

Her mind drifted to that beginning of this nightmare she was living.

"Kagome! It's over. It's finally over!" The taijiya embraced the girl from the future in a warm hug.

"I know Sango. I'm glad we're all alright." Kagome smiled as the last cloud of miasma faded into the clouds above.

It had taken all of them, including Sesshoumaru to vanquish Naraku. After three long years they had succeeded. Three years of constant struggles and suffering, but they had held fast and triumphed.

"Kagome, everyone! Look. My hand... the wind tunnel. It's gone! Finally, the curse has been lifted!" Miroku grinned before pulling his beloved Sango into a lover's embrace.

"Kagome. You okay?" Inuyasha was finally making his way back to his companions, Sesshoumaru by his side.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Thank you Sesshoumaru for all your help." She smiled sweetly at Inuyasha's older brother.

"I did not assist you. I merely was retrieving Rin." His sobering answer was cut short by the bubbling child who emerged from behind him.

"Sesshoumaru-tono really didn't just come for me Kagome-sama. Sesshoumaru-sama really hated that monster." Rin offered up in childish innocence.

Kagome giggled slightly as she watched the Lord of the Western Lands gather his ward and faithful followers then quickly fleeing from their presence. Sesshoumaru had changed from the first time she had met him. He had actually saved her from Naraku and others a few times in the past. He even seemed to have softened towards Inuyasha. Perhaps finding a new respect for Inuyasha after fighting at his side these past few weeks had an influence.

"Kagome! Are you coming or are you just going to stand there in a daze all day."

She twirled around to find that the others had already started the short trek back to Kaede's village.

"Coming!" She yelled back before breaking into a run to catch up.

They had spent the night there in Kaede's hut quickly falling asleep from the strain of the last battle. In the morning she had set out with the jewel to visit her mother since it had been weeks since she had been home. After promising to return in two days, she had said her short farewells to her companions and stepped through the well back into her own time. Returning to the well house two days later, she had found her route to the feudal era blocked. Despite wearing the completed Shikon jewel she was not granted access through the well's passage. Desperate, she had tried every spell she had known. Finally taking to the soil with a shovel only to collapse from sheer exhaustion and despair. She was stuck. No more Inuyasha. No more Sango, Miroku, Shippo, or Kirara. The book had closed on that chapter of her life.

Shifting her weight in her bed Kagome opened her eyes to find that the night had passed and a new day was dawning. Oddly she found a strange comfort in the first rays of the rising sun. No matter what, darkness would always fade to dawn. Rebirth and life was as constant as death and destruction. Balance in the world required both halves. This balance played no favorites. All were susceptible because for one to live, another must die. Those thoughts ripped open the festering wounds of her soul, stealing what little comfort she momentarily felt.

Rising from her bed she smoothed out the wrinkles on her black dress. Pulling a brush methodically through her black tresses she tried to soothe her soul from the stress that threatened to tear her very seams. As if in a trance she soon found herself back at that freshly overturned soil. Her resolve came undone. She crumpled in a heap of black satin on the soil before her.

She must have laid there in a heap a dirty fabric and freshly turned dirt for hours. The wind picking up slight strays of her dirty hair, moving them delicately across her tear stained face. She had wept her tears dry. Gathering what little strength she had she sat upright, gazing into the massive boughs of the trees above her. Mesmerized by the branches' languid movements in the wind she remembered what had led to this tragedy.

She had felt the presence that morning but it had been so small and insignificant she had decided to ignore it. She proceeded through her normal morning routine and made her way to her family downstairs. Breakfast had been served by her cheerful mother as Grandfather and Souta gathered around the table with her. That smile... so radiant and warm, something that she would cherish forever and miss terribly.

"Oh Mama," Kagome whimpered into the silence around her. "I'm so sorry."

Souta had been bugging her about what university she would attend. He kept telling her that he was saddened she had actually passed each grade. Every year at exam time he had reassured her with the same line.

"Hey Kagome, if your marks on your exams stink like normal you can just fail. If you're still gathering shards maybe we'll end up in the same grade. Then we can graduate together!" she could hear his quiet voice teasing her still.

"Souta, my dear sweet Souta." She whispered into the breeze.

Two beautiful souls lost to this world of the living. All because of the jewel. All because of her birth. Had she not been born a reincarnated priestess she would never had put their lives in danger. If only she had paid heed to her initial detection of that ominous presence perhaps then they would not be lying in these cold graves.

It had happened so suddenly. She had been under Goshinboku reading when the first youkai attacked. Her mother and brother were sweeping the grounds, grandfather was taking inventory in the Shrine's main shed. Kagome had raced for her bow and quiver then standing on the steps near the Shrine's main gate she had let her arrow fly. Instantly the evil creature had been purified. A shadow had crossed in front of her causing her to turn thus witnessing the approach of a dark horde. Crying out as she ran towards the others, she knocked another arrow on her bow.

"Mom, Souta... RUN!" She had screamed pausing in her retreat to turn and fire another arrow into the mass.

The youkai screeched as many were incinerated with the sacred powers of her arrow. All the activity had caused grandfather to emerge from the shed. He had hurried as fast as his old legs would carry him to reach his family. Withered hands and scratchy voice tried in desperation to erect a barrier around his daughter and grandson. Kagome too raced frantically towards her helpless family trying to reach them before the evil beings.

She ducked as they raced down on her turning once more in mid fall to fire another wooden missile into their ranks. A bright flash of pink told her she had hit her mark before she felt the rough surface of the ground tear into her skin. Paying no attention to the blood that trickled down her face and the gravel stuck in the wounds she quickly lifted herself and took aim once more at the mass that threatened to consume her family.

"DIE!" She screamed as she launched another attack. Her nostrils burning at the putrid smell of burnt flesh.

Grabbing another arrow from the quiver on her back, she raced forward once more. Eyes fixed on the terrified faces of her mother and brother, she could hear her grandfather chanting; a faint blue globe surrounding the three. Kagome knew very well that despite her grandfather's valiant attempts the barrier would not last long against the stronger youkai. Another flash of blinding pink light cleared a path through the twisted mess of evil allowing her to position herself in front of her family. Reaching into her quiver she could feel the dwindling number of arrows that remained. Each one had to count at that point. With each arrow gone their chance of survival lessened.

"Eat Purification You Assholes." She yelled again as another arrow released.

All her senses heightened as she prepared for the final assault. She heard her grandfather's chant slowing and the barrier crackling under the renewed force of the dark horde. He was tiring and the barrier was beginning to fail. She cursed under her breath as she heard her mother cry out in concern.

"Kagome! Grandfather won't last much longer." Mrs. Higurashi cried.

Kagome risked one final glance behind her as she pulled the last arrow from her quiver. Her mother was kneeling beside her grandfather offering words of encouragement. A wide eyed Souta trembled beside her. They all looked so scared, pale and trembling in the face of their impending deaths. Kagome closed her eyes as she turned to face the last group of youkai that where gaining ground quickly.

It was then she heard it. The gut wrenching crack as the barrier dissolved. Her mother's and Souta's anguished screams as evil descended upon them darkening their final moments; the mass blacking out the light around them. Kagome had been distracted and was pushed to her knees, the arrow falling from the bow. She lifted her head only to see a pool of red flowing towards her. In desperation she used her bow to send a blast of purification at the mass in front of her. When the smoke cleared she confronted the lifeless faces of her mother and brother. Souta was wrapped in the protective embrace of their mother as she had sought to protect her child to the end.

Kagome's scream of anguish filled the summer air.

She had been in a daze when the ambulance had arrived. Grandfather had somehow managed to survive likely from being buried under his daughter's body. He was listed in intensive care, still not waking from his comma. It had taken two days to wash the blood off of her body. Her hands had been scrubbed raw in an attempt to rid them of their blood.

Kagome had been forced to make all of the funeral preparations herself. The past week had been hell. She had little sleep, less to eat and in her weakened state she was in no way able to fight off an attack if one came. In her depression though she did not care. Everything had been taken from her. First it had been Inuyasha and now her family. She was alone, abandoned and broken.

"Let them come!" She snarled into the wind that blew around her.

"Just come and kill me already! Were are you hiding now you bastards!"

The glow from the jewel around her neck went unseen, as it hid beneath the folds of her clothing. In one gut wrenching sob she screamed for salvation.

"INUYASHA!"