InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Uniting her Warriors ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Uniting Her Warriors

The spirit within the jewel reached out towards the anguish of the young girl. This was not what she had desired when she had bound her own soul and the souls of the youkai within the Shikon Jewel. Midoriko had been pleased when the young girl from the future had purified the jewel, leaving only her pure soul left to reside with in it. Her constant battle with the souls of the evil creatures was over now. Centuries of battle had left her weak and she had slept for days on end to regain her strength and spiritual power. The scream of the girl had awakened her a few days prior. She was helpless to the girl now, for in her sorrow, Kagome could not call upon the powers of the jewel. Not only that, but Midoriko highly doubted that the untrained priestess would even know how to or know that her soul still remained in the jewel.

When Kagome had passed through the well, Midoriko had sealed it off, hoping to shield the modern world from an onslaught of dark horde attacks. She had not realized that so many youkai had survived up until now. The young girl had been battling against all odds, all by herself. Apparently the last had claimed the lives of those she had held dear to her.

Midoriko floated above Kagome, an image invisible to the human eye. Years in the jewel had left her unable to materialize in front of anyone; she was left trying to communicate to those around her through their dreams. In the past few days, she had tried to reach out to the girl as she slept, but exhaustion had always claimed the girl, leaving her dreamless. As she stared down at the pitiful heap before her, she knew her time was running out. If Kagome continued as she was now, she would surely die of sorrow or by the hands of a jewel lusting creature. Midoriko knew that she had but one choice left. She must summon the other warriors to the well and transport them through. It would be difficult on her and likely use up all of her strength reserves, but it was necessary. She would be able to restore her strength knowing that they were present to protect and heal the miko. However, their decision would be difficult. For once she transported them through; they could not be returned to their home. All parties would be stuck in this time period, forever.

Another sob from the girl pulled at Midoriko's heart. What suffering this child had endured. Kagome was this world's last hope, she needed to remain alive. Midoriko was unsure of what would happen now if a youkai possessed the jewel, but the feeling she got when thinking about it did not bode well for this world. With that on her mind she returned to inside the jewel to prepare herself for the trial to come.

X-X-X-X-X

One the other side of the well, night crept slowly over the lands. The fiery reds and yellows from the sunset melting into the cool recesses of the night sky. The three warriors Midoriko sought had finally come into the village from working in the fields. Surrounding Kaede's campfire they joined in an evening meal and light conversation.

Inuyasha stared into the crackling cooking fire, an unsettled feeling in his gut. Last week he had the worst feeling wash over him. Kagome was in danger and there was nothing he could do. He could sense her fear as if she were still in his own world. Some connection had remained, although he was unable to reach her. The well had sealed shortly after she had gone through. His worst nightmare had come true. She was lost to him. The one thing in his life that had actually gone right. Kagome did not seal the well, that nuch he knew. She would not leave him or betray him, she had wanted to come back. Even leaving a few of her belongings, certain of her own return. What had happened to her all those months ago? Had the jewel sealed the well? That was impossible. Kagome had purified the jewel and promised that it could never be used for evil again. She had purified it before he even had made it back to the group.

Inuyasha, you're stuck being hanyou! I purified the jewel. I guess you'll just have to put up with a girl who loves you just the way you are!” He could remember the grin on her face when she had told him that.

Her greatest fear always being that he would use the jewel to become youkai. He had given up on that aspiration years before. Kagome had given him a sense of contentment. If she loved him for himself, why did he need to change? Plus, he had always feared what his youkai self would do to her and the others. She had been so brave, all of them had, he would not risk what he had found to fulfill an egocentric wish of days past.

He left the small hut and his friends to seek refuge from the night in his usual spot. High in the branches he settled in for another night filled with her face. His eye lids grew heavy and his heart fluttered as he caught the first glimpse of her in his dreams. She was sitting on the edge of the well. Her hair blowing softly in the wind. She turned and smiled at him, eyes twinkling in the sunlight. Soon, her features began to change and a slightly older woman appeared. Her face was familiar to him as well, but who she was he could not remember.

“Inuyasha,” the woman called to him.

He approached, unsure of her intentions, but calmed by her presence. As he drew near, her features became recognizable. It was the woman from the petrified remains at Sango's village. Midoriko, the creator of the jewel of four souls.

“Inuyasha, you are needed elsewhere.” Her soothing voice floated to his ears.

“What do you mean?” He questioned.

“Kagome needs you Inuyasha.” She spoke once more.

“Kagome! Is she hurt? What happened to her? Where is she?” He cried out, anxious to find out what had happened to the girl.

“Calm down Inuyasha.” Another voice called out behind the hanyou.

Turning, Inuyasha saw the approach of Miroku. Sango followed closely with the small nekomata perched on her shoulder. Coming to stand beside him, the group was surprised to see Kirara bound down from Sango and happily into the arms of the long dead miko.

“Kirara! Have you been a good girl? I must commend you on your choice of humans.” Midoriko affectionately rubbed the feline in her lap. Looking up she studied the individuals before her. All were worthy in their own right. She would not have to worry about the decision she was making.

“Kirara?” Sango asked, unsure of the feline's attention from the woman before her.

“Hmm, Kirara and I battled together long before she decided to follow you Sango. She is an excellent companion isn't she.” Midoriko smiled again as she rubbed the cat's fur.

“Kirara, you...?” Sango paused realization dawning on her. “That's why you would always sneak off to the cave. I can remember her spending many nights in there. In fact, that is were we first met.”

Kirara 'meowed' her own agreement to the statement. She nuzzled her former companion once more before returning to the shoulder of her new one.

“Right, I don't have much time. I sealed the well when Kagome returned to her own era, I was attempting to return things to the way they were. Regardless of my intentions, all is not well on the other side. Kagome needs protection. The jewel's presence in her time has been awakening many sleeping youkai. She requires her warriors once more.” Midoriko paused letting her words sink into the three.

“Well, let's get going wench!” Inuyasha was tapping his foot impatiently, eager to pass through the well.

“Yes, let's not waste time.” Miroku chimed in.

“A word of caution friends.” Midoriko's stern voice silenced the two men. “Once I transport you through the well, I will not have the ability to return you to this world. You will have to live an eternity in her world. Do not make this decision in such haste. Although Kagome needs you, it must be you who decides what you are willing to sacrifice.”

“Never return?” Sango whispered, thinking intently on the implications of what the priestess was offering them.

“Eternity? What do you mean by this Midoriko-sama?” Miroku asked, unsure of her meaning.

“The jewel of four souls has been altered. Kagome purified it, but for some reason my soul remains within its boundaries. I have been granted a duty by higher powers to protect the jewel at all costs. As humans, your lives would end before the jewel's. Your lifespans would need to be altered to match that of the evil you defend the jewel against. This is not saying you would be immortal either. You will be just as susceptible to death as the evil you fight against. I offer you, as protectors of the jewel, to freeze your aging. Should you accept, you will not age a moment longer in her world. Forever will you be charged with the duty of protecting the jewel. Protecting it until the day it can be rid from this world entirely.” Midoriko's words fell on the silent trio.

Sango's thoughts were racing. She had already decided to go through the well. She had nothing left in this world. Her family had been slain years earlier by the deceit of Naraku and Kohoku had fallen six months ago. Kagome and her friends were her family now. It was the word 'eternity' that frightened her. Was she willing to give her life to the jewel, to protect a world she did not know? Her eyes lifted to gaze into the determined eyes of her companions. Miroku grasped her hand, as if reading her thoughts.

“Sango, it seems that perhaps we were born into this world for a greater purpose. Do not forget who rid this world of the evil that threatened to consume it. Our job is not finished. Kagome needs us. We must rise up to the challenge, climb from the darkness of our pasts here and straight into the light of Kagome's world.” Miroku pulled the taijiya into his arms holding her tightly as he gazed back at the priestess before her.

“I will accept the charge of protector. I have nothing in this world to hold me to it, other than Sango and Inuyasha. Kagome has given us so much; I will not abandon her in her time of need.” He nodded in certainty at the priestess.

“I too accept the duty.” Sango pulled out of the comforting embrace to look boldly and bravely into the eyes of the priestess. “I owe it to my family to continue protecting the jewel as they had for so long. The last of an honorable family, I will continue their legacy.”

Kirara meowed in agreement once more, nuzzling the legs of her companian. Excitedly she ran towards the well and jumped onto the ledge. Sitting, she waited for the others to follow.

“Inuyasha, your decision I await.” Midoriko looked expectantly at the hanyou before her.

“Feh, like you even need to ask.” He stepped forward and placed one foot on the ledge of the well. “Let's get going already.”

With one small grunt he launched himself over the edge and landed on the bottom of the well. Looking at his surroundings, he was surprised to see that he was not at the bottom of the well, but rather underneath the tree he had fallen asleep in. He quickly returned to Kaede's hut to see the others. Flipping up the covering of the door, he was greeted by Sango and Miroku who were both sitting up in bed, staring at each other in confusion.

“Did you guys...?” Inuyasha questioned breaking the silence.

“Midoriko!” Sango and Miroku offered up in unison.

“So it wasn't just me.” Sango whispered to herself as she got up and grabbed her clothes to change into.

All of the commotion had awakened Kaede and she quickly joined them in the living area. She was shocked to see them hastily gathering their belongings and changing.

“What is the matter Inuyasha? Where are you going?” She questioned.

“Feh!” Inuyasha could not muster anything better to say; too anxious was he to see Kagome.

“Midoriko-sama came to us in our dreams. Kagome and the jewel need protection in her world. It seems we have been elected as guardians of the priestess Kagome and the jewel. Kaede-sama we will not be returning. You must say our goodbyes to those we knew in this world.” Miroku offered up the hasty explanation to the old woman as he gathered his staff and prepared to make a hasty exit.

“Thank you so much for all you have done for us Kaede-baachan. We will be sure to tell her your greetings. Oh, tell Shippo about this too. Perhaps he can look us up in her time.” Sango dressed in her slayers' armor, grabbed her change of clothes and weapon before coming to stand in front of the old woman.

“I see.” Kaede reflected upon the words of the monk and slayer. “So Midoriko-sama was not allowed to rest after all. This does not bode well for Kagome's world if the kami have decided to confine Midoriko-sama to the jewel still. Be careful children. I will pray for you.”

Miroku and Sango nodded as they hurried out of the hut and onto the back of the neko outside. Inuyasha turned back before exiting to say his farewells to the gentle miko he had known for years.

“Kaede, thank you.” He smiled slightly as she acknowledge his simple sentiments.

Soon, the group was inside of the bone eaters well, awaiting their final transport through time. Small pink globes began to drift up towards them from the bottom of the well. Then, a swirling pink cloud engulfed them and they felt the sensation of falling. As soon as it had begun, it was over. Looking up they were in the well still, but above was the roof of a building.

“It's about bloody ass time!” Inuyasha muttered before jumping clear out of the well.

Sango and Miroku were quick to follow with the help of the hanging ladder. Anticipation and worry overtook them as they took their first steps into the world of the future.