InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ New Times Old Friends ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
New Times, Old Friends

Resting on the floor with her back against one wall Sango smiled as Kagome sighed and sunk deeper into the warm water. Steam clung to the air, fogging the mirror and beading like little pearls on the counter tops and walls. She had insisted on helping Kagome clean away the few days of dirt that had clung to her body. In the weakened state Kagome had been in, Sango was wary of letting the girl bathe alone.

“Sango?” Kagome asked quietly.

“Yes Kagome?”

“I want to thank you.”

“Thank me? What for, I haven't done anything?” Sango was puzzled by the girls remark.

“Well, to tell you the truth Sango, its because of what you did when we first met. You inspired me just now as I remembered the past.” Kagome continued as she watched her confused friend. “You see, I was thinking about Mom and Souta. When they were killed I had wanted to give up. I have walked around in a daze for the past week, not caring whether I lived or died myself. Before you arrived I actually called out to the evil around me to finish me off. I thought I had lost everything. When I woke up though, Inuyasha, Miroku and you were all here. Somehow you made it to me when I needed you the most.”

“Kagome, we would have been here sooner if we had been able too.” Sango was still remorseful about her inability to stop the tragedy that had transpired in modern Japan.

“I know Sango.” Kagome's eyes began to mist before she brought a wet hand up to rub them. “After seeing you though, I began to remember what happened to you. The way you sprang back from despair and pushed your body to its limits, all in an attempt to honor your family. It made me think. I don't want to let the evil in this world devour me. I want to fight Sango. I want to honor my family just like you did. I want to protect the people in this world from suffering like we have.”

Sango was taken back by the strength and fortitude displayed by her friends words. Kagome would be alright, she would fight now no matter what. Standing from her spot on the floor, Sango grabbed a towel and went over to assist Kagome out of the tub.

“I'm glad to hear that Kagome. I was worried that this would crush you, if anything, it has made you stronger. We will all honor our families Kagome! Together we will find out what our future holds.”

X-X-X-X-X

“Hey Kagome.”

Inuyasha carefully inspected the newly cleaned miko in font of him. In her shorts and tank top, he could see evidence of her month's struggles on her skin. The last battle had left a large scrape on her leg, as well as gravel rash on her forearm. Slight bruising was still visible around the injuries indicating a fall or impact. Dark circles had formed under her eyes; a testimony to her stress in the past weeks. She had lost weight too, causing her appearance to be one of frailty. He was worried about her mental health as well, but Sango's words to him as he waited for Kagome to dress, had reassured him to some degree. Kagome was hurting, but she was beginning to heal both physically and emotionally. Now that they were all together once again, she would be able to focus on herself rather than everyone else. He had promised long ago that he would protect her and Midoriko had allowed him to keep that promise. Reunited with her, he made a solemn vow to never again let her be taken from him.

Kagome looked up at the hanyou before her, smiling slightly as she made room for him to sit on the bed beside her.

“Are you feeling better?” He asked, cautiously sitting down.

She smiled sadly up at him, then leaned her back against the wall. She reached over for a pillow, hugging it in her lap.

“Yeah, I feel much better.”

An awkward silence stretched between them. Inuyasha was unsure of what to say to her. She had been through so much and the grief she must be experiencing was just as trying. Anything he could now say surely would not help matters. He had never been good with words, and being around Kagome made it even more difficult to express himself. What would one say to someone who had just lost everything? 'Sorry 'bout your luck?' He knew how much Kagome loved her family. Hell, he had loved her family. They had taken him into their lives without so much as a second thought. Warm and accepting, this was the one place he had always felt like he truly belonged. This house and the people who filled it had been home for him; home some five hundred years in the future.

The scent of salt in the air brought him out of his thoughts. Turning to Kagome he could see that she was staring at him intently, mist filling her tired eyes.

“How did you? I mean... you came.” Her last two words barely made it to his sensitive ears.

“Midoriko came to me in a dream. She came to all of us actually. Before I knew it, she had transported us through the well. I knew though Kagome, I could feel your distress. A week ago I felt it, almost as if you were somewhere close to me. I never stopped hoping I could reach you. If it took me 500 years I would find you.” Blushing deeply he reached over Kagome's shoulder to draw her snuggly to his side. He felt the tension she had been carrying around on her shoulders, slowly start to melt away as she relaxed into his body.

“Thank you Inuyasha. I always hoped you would find me. I had expected an older you to come to my rescue. I would be lying though if I said I never lost hope. Especially this past week.” She shivered slightly as their eyes flashed in her mind once more. The vision faded when she was suddenly jerked over into the hanyou's lap.

“Kagome, I promise I won't leave your side ever again.” Inuyasha nuzzled the top of her head, tightening his hold on her slightly.

For the first time in months, Kagome smiled. Her hands clenched at his robes, trying with all her might to pull herself closer to him. She missed this connection she had with him. True, he rarely displayed such open affection for her, but he always seemed to know when she needed it the most. She was content to just sit in his lap and let him hold her. This small act alone was helping to sooth her tortured soul. She felt herself starting to fall asleep when a very loud growl made her jump.

“What was that?” She instantly was on edge, expecting another evil youkai to come bursting through her window. She turned to Inuyasha, bemused when she saw the sheepish look on his face.

“Inuyasha! Was that your stomach?”

“What! It's been forever since I ate!” His grinned widened when he saw the faintest bit of mirth start to twinkle in her formerly burnt out eyes. “Do you have any ramen, Kagome? I've had the worst cravings for it since you left.”

Her laughter was genuine as she stood from the bed. Inuyasha was quick to follow, standing beside her he embraced her once again in a tight bear hug.

“We'll help you get through this Kagome. I promise.”

“I know Inuyasha.” Her smile softened, but a loud growl from her own stomach made the smile stretch widely across her face.

“Let's get something to eat!” She giggled as she moved out of his embrace and headed towards the door.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome let herself forget the past week that seemed to forever plague her thoughts as she prepared a modest meal for the group. She listened intently as Miroku explained how Midoriko had visited them in their dreams and all of the events that had transpired there after. Sango was busy petting Buyo on the couch, while Kirara gave the other feline some nasty looks. Inuyasha had sat at the table half listening while he impatiently awaited his ramen.

“Alright, it's ready.” Kagome placed the last dish on the table and finally joined the others.

“Mmm, smells wonderful Kagome!” Sango enthusiastically praised her friends cooking.

“Ah yes, another one of Kagome's wonderful home cooked meals.” Miroku smiled at the hostess.

Both Sango and Miroku turned and looked expectantly at their other companion. They laughed heartily when they saw Inuyasha had already 'woofed' down half of his ramen. A single noodle hung down his face as looked back and glared at them.

“What!”

“He never changes does he my dear Sango!” Miroku chanced a quick grope at the bottom that was seated so very close to his own.

'THWAP'

“Neither do you!” Sango muttered angrily, shuffling herself farther away from the wandering hands of the monk.

“Tell me Kagome, is your world filled with as many mysteries as your house?” Miroku asked, still rubbing the bright red hand print on his face.

“Mysteries?” She asked back.

“You told us about so many wonderful things in your time, but nothing could have prepared us for what we found when we got here. There are so many different sights and sounds. You have water, both hot and cold, that flows freely in your house. There is that box like thing in the other room that has small people trapped inside. Where are those voices coming from?” Miroku was looking around the room trying to located the noise.

Kagome couldn't help but giggle again. It must be so odd for Miroku and Sango. Inuyasha had always been so caught up in trying to get her to go back that he had never payed attention to the advancements of her time. Miroku and Sango were both inquisitive though and were more likely to want to learn about everything unfamiliar to them.

“I guess I never went into details about my time did I. The only thing I ever took through the well was my textbooks and bathing supplies. That one time I did take my camera, but I never remembered to show you the photos once I had them developed.” She smiled as she continued. “That box in the living room is called a television. It broadcasts images of people at another location so we can see them. They're not actually inside the box. That noise is actually a radio. It does the same thing as a T.V. but it is only able to transmit sound. Indoor plumbing is standard in every home now too.” Kagome could only hope that they understood.

“Inuyasha, why did you never tell us about all of the conveniences of Kagome's world?” Miroku asked the hanyou.

“Feh! Who cares! The only thing that matters is that we protect the jewel, remember!” he growled back.

“Well yes, but we must educate ourselves about her world.” Sango offered up, eager to try some of the wonderful devices of Kagome's.

“I guess I could rent some videos from the library about history and the technology we have. Tomorrow we'll worry about that. How about we watch a movie tonight and then get some rest? I'm beat!” Kagome offered her idea as she rose and began to clear the table.

“Wonderful idea Kagome. Moovee? Sounds exciting.” Miroku pondered the word.

X-X-X-X-X

The group spent the remainder of the evening watching a movie, Kagome doing her best to keep a running commentary of what was happening. She pointed out objects and gave the group descriptions and names for each. By the end of the movie, Miroku and Sango had seen what much of modern Japan looked like. They had been astounded by the cars and airplanes as well as the guns and other modern weapons. The huge office buildings and apartments had been an eye opener for the two. Miroku had nearly fallen out of his chair when the fifteen second sex scene had played out on screen. Sango and Inuyasha had both turned a deep shade of crimson and left quickly to refill their glasses. Buyo and Kirara had finally given up their grudges and were curled up together on the empty recliner when the credits began to roll.

“Oh, my! I'm exhausted!” Kagome yawned as she stood up and stretched. “I guess I should get some blankets for you guys. Where would you like to sleep? I could change the sheets on Mom's and Souta's beds.”

“Thanks Kagome, but we'll be fine down here. I'd rather sleep on the familiar floor tonight.” Sango replied back, yawning herself.

“Sango, you are always welcome to share my bed. Perhaps we could....” Miroku began only to be cut off by another thump on the head.

“Don't even think it monk!” Sango blushed as the scene from the movie replayed in her mind.

Kagome laughed as she went to dig some blankets out of the closet. This afternoon had been a healing experience for her. Her friends' excitement to discover her world had brought a welcomed distraction. Tonight would be another milestone for her if she could get through it; the end to a heartbreaking week for her. Tomorrow would be the dawning of a new day and the first page in the next chapter of her life.

She had quickly brought the bedding to Sango and Miroku and assisted in preparing their evening resting spots. Kagome wandered through the house locking doors and turning off lights; reaching the stairs she paused to say her good nights to Miroku, Sango and Kirara. Turning out the last light downstairs she made her way up to her own room.

Opening her bedroom door, she was not surprised to find Inuyasha sitting in the open window. Fiery amber eyes reached out to hers when she turned from shutting the door. She hadn't bothered to ask Inuyasha were he would be staying, naturally assuming that he would take up guard in her room as usual.

“You want a blanket or anything?” She asked as she crawled into bed.

“Feh!” He turned his attention back out the window. Scanning the area with his keen hearing and sharp sense of smell. He watched Kirara exit the house, obviously starting her night patrol.

“Night Inuyasha.” Kagome yawned out the words, making them barely understandable. With in a few minutes, exhaustion had claimed her.

Inuyasha waited for the steady rise and fall of her chest, before making his way to her bed. Squatting down he lifted one knee to rest his arm; shifting his sword he braced it in front of him. He would guard her until the rays of the morning sun filtered through the window.

“Maa... ma” Kagome mumbled in her sleep.

Her breathing became erratic and her heartbeat spiked. Inuyasha could sense her fear even before she began to thrash wildly in bed. Suddenly her body began to shake in pure terror before she let out a blood curdling scream and bolted upright. He was beside her in an instant, comforting her as her body was racked with violent sobs. Endless minutes passed until her heartbeat slowed and breathing regulated.

“Inuyasha?” A wobbly voice called out to him.

“Yeah Kagome?” He was glad her crying had finally stopped.

“Will you stay with me until morning? I think I would sleep better knowing you were right... beside me.” She hesitated at the last, fearful he would not stay.

“Anything for you.” He replied simply before lowering them both to the bed.

Inuyasha drew the covers up and pulled Kagome tightly against him. Kagome lay her head on his chest and wrapped her hands tightly into the fire rat. The rhythmic rise and fall of his chest was lulling her back to sleep; fearful of the nightmares, she fought to stay awake. A gentle hand raised to caress her hair and a low growl vibrated deep inside Inuyasha's chest. Kagome found the noise oddly comforting, and the constant pull on her hair was doing wonders to calm her fears. Finally she allowed herself to fall into a deep sleep.

Inuyasha laid there in the silence listening to Kagome's breathing. Wrapped securely in his arms, she had finally submitted to the night. An hour had past and she had not been bothered by another nightmare. Satisfied that Kagome would rest easily for the remainder of the evening, he let his eyes close. Kirara would be out all night and he was confident that she would alert them to any danger. Miroku had also constructed a barrier around the Shrine property thus providing them all with some safety through the night. He would not sleep deeply that night, but he would allow himself to rest slightly.

X-X-X-X-X

The sun filtered through the window, warming the two who slept snuggly together. Kagome stretched as she woke, her hand trailing across something furry and unfamiliar in her bed. With a start she sat up, trying to get her bearings and searching for the strange object. Blinking her eyes rapidly to clear the sleep from them, she was surprised when they focused on two white triangles. Inuyasha smiled smugly at her, grinning as her cheeks became stained with an attractive shade of red.

“Morning sleepy head.” He yawned before sitting up himself.

“You stayed all night?” She asked as she fully expected him to be sitting back in the window when she awoke.

“Feh! Your bed's comfortable.” He soon found the heat rising in his own cheeks. Quickly he stood so he could hide his blush from her.

“Thank you.” Kagome smiled before getting up herself and heading in the direction of the bathroom.

Kagome made her way downstairs to meet the others. She smiled happily as she entered the living room, finding Sango and Miroku folding the blankets neatly. Inuyasha was lounging on the couch, likely smirking at the red hand print that still marred the monk's face. Kagome was about to make her way into the kitchen when the doorbell rang. Kirara quickly weaved through the human obstacles to take up a first offensive at the door. Initially her hair stood on end and she growled menacingly, but soon she quieted and sat at the door, waiting for it to be opened.

“I wonder who that could be?” Kagome spoke mostly to herself.

Making her way over to the door, she began to open it without hesitation. Immediately she found herself being pushed behind Inuyasha as the door opened. Protectively he growled at the obvious youkai standing on the front porch of the house. The individual stood just shy of Inuyasha's height and looked slightly younger than even Kagome. It was the red hair that caught them off guard.

“Shippo?” Kagome questioned the green eyes that glistened with tears of joy.