InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Reunion

Kagome couldn't believe her eyes. Sitting in her living room was a child who had grown into a handsome young youkai. Shippo had not only grown in height, but he had matured into an intelligent young gentlemen. If she hadn't known any better she would have assumed he had been raised by a powerful business tycoon. He was wearing elegantly tailored slacks with a white dress shirt and black vest. He kept his hair tied back in a braid that fell just below his shoulder blades. It was his eyes that remained the same though, sparkling emeralds that glinted with mischief.

“Shippo! You're all grown up! I can't believe my eyes.” Kagome grinned widely at her long lost surrogate child.

“Feh! He's still a runt!” Inuyasha grunted before smiling at the young youkai.

“Time has changed me!” Shippo smiled back.

“Tell us Shippo, how did you come to find us? What have you been doing these past years?” Miroku inquired to the former child member of their group.

“Actually, I've been watching Kagome for a few years now. I was so young when you left that I couldn't remember the day or year for that matter. None of us could. Five hundred years makes your memory a little fuzzy. The first time I stopped here, Kagome was just a child. I made frequent visits through the years waiting for her to discover the well. Once that finally occurred I knew I only had a few years to wait. I thought it best for Kagome not to see me until after you arrived. So, for the past few years I have been traveling abroad with work. The reports in the paper lately are what made me think that perhaps you had returned.” Shippo paused and turned concerned eyes on Kagome.

“The Tokyo Tribune detailed the tragedy that occurred here Kagome. I'm so sorry that I wasn't here sooner. I would have been able to stop what happened.” He had been ashamed of his absence when he had read the paper. Anger had boiled over and he rushed back to Tokyo as soon as he could.

“It's okay Shippo. Fate has a funny way of playing out. There is no way you could have known. You were simply doing what you thought best.” Hurt eyes looked into his own as she tried to smile comfortingly for him.

“Shippo, you said 'us' before. To whom were you referring?” Miroku inquired once more.

“Oh that's right! Lord Sesshoumaru of course.” Shippo took another sip of tea.

“What! That kuso brother of mine is still around!” Inuyasha growled in outrage.

“I think you would be surprised at the change in your brother Inuyasha. I would not be so hasty to condemn the man.” Shippo took another sip of tea as the hanyou began to vibrate. Expecting such a reaction, he had purposely played into it. He had missed irritating Inuyasha.

“Listen here runt!” Inuyasha started off, only to be silenced by a menacing glare from the kitsune. A glare that was too familiar to him. Shippo had all but perfected the icy cold stare of his brother.

“Silence. You had best not call me runt anymore. I am after all older than you now Inuyasha. Older and wiser.” Glinting eyes where the only clue to his mirth as he imitated the imposing Lord of the Western Lands.

Kagome couldn't take it anymore. She was beside herself as she broke out into hysterical laughter. Miroku and Sango joined in, finding the shocked look on the hanyou’s face all too amusing. Shippo was not far behind them, his face lifting into a warm smile.

“Oh that was priceless! You should have seen your face Inuyasha!” Shippo roared with laughter.

Inuyasha was the only one who apparently had not found the antics entertaining. Shippo was soon rewarded with a large fist on the head.

“Ouch! Kagome, Inuyasha's hitting me!” Shippo laughed harder as he imitated himself from long ago.

The reaction between the pair and Shippo's last imitation had the three humans renewing their laughter. Eventually Inuyasha even simmered down to smirk at the group. It was nice to see everyone together again after all.

“So Shippo, what has Sesshoumaru been doing now?” Kagome asked after she had recovered from her fit of laughter.

“He spent his years developing various businesses. Successful in many areas now, he focuses on his international deals. He even embraces humans now, finding them to be more intriguing and less bothersome.”

“Feh! He likes humans?” Inuyasha was having a hard time envisioning his cruel brother interacting with humans in a friendly manner.

“Rin taught him that humans were unique creatures. She was the one responsible for the change in the Lord.” Shippo smiled fondly thinking of the human child that had taken hold of the cold youkai's heart.

“Rin-chan! What happened to her? Is she still alive somehow?” Kagome was fond of the human child who had followed faithfully at the heels of the dog youkai.

“I'm afraid not, Rin died long ago. She did live a fullfiling life though. Lord Sesshoumaru eventually accepted his role of father. He protected her and educated her as she grew, but eventually he gave up some control to a human man who she fell in love with. It nearly broke Rin's heart as well as Sesshoumaru's when she found out she was barren. All she wanted out of life was a family. Sesshoumaru granted her the gift of a parent, but she wanted a child so badly. We suspected her condition came from being brought back from the dead.” Shippo laughed before he continued on. “Actually is was also Rin who made the Lord take me in after you had all left. She and I made his life quite difficult for a long time I imagine. We were like siblings after awhile, constantly bickering and playing at the same time. Lord Sesshoumaru and I were greatly saddened when she finally passed. She brought such joy to all the lives she touched.”

“I'm sorry to hear that Shippo.” Kagome rested a hand on the kit's arm.

“Anyway, that leads me to what I really need to talk to you about. The jewel.” Shippo went straight into the business at hand.

“What about the jewel?” Sango inquired, pouring them all more tea.

“While I was en route to the Shrine I contacted Sesshoumaru-sama to tell him what I know. We have come to the same conclusion. It is unsafe for Kagome to keep the jewel at the shrine. Besides her own safety, the conflict around the jewel would endanger countless lives in Tokyo. It is best if we keep much of the conflict out of the public eye. Most humans are unaware that youkai exist and it is best kept that way. Lord Sesshoumaru has offered to move you all to a secluded location that will provide more protection. He is also offering financial security for living expenses as well as tying up loose ends on legal paperwork for Inuyasha, Miroku, and Sango.”

“I see. I can't just leave the shrine and Tokyo Shippo. Grandfather is still in the hospital here. Mom's and Souta's graves are here. My whole life is here.” Kagome balked at the idea of leaving everything familiar to her.

“I understand your fears Kagome,” Shippo began “but you must consider what will happen if you stay. The shrine will certainly be destroyed including the graves of your family. Imagine the panic in the masses when suddenly a scenario straight out of science fiction becomes their reality. Youkai and other supernatural beings have hid their identities from humans for centuries now. To allow destruction that is avoidable is unethical. What of your friends here Kagome? We must keep them safe as well.”

“I guess you’re right Shippo. What about grandfather?” She asked, disheartened about the reality that awaited.

“Sesshoumaru-sama is looking into having him transferred to the location as well. He has a fine staff of physicians at his disposal and they will provide him with the best care possible.” He gently squeezed her hand in support, and became amused by the possessive look Inuyasha shot his way.

“Miroku and Sango will need to be educated on the ways of the world as well. You will all require training in modern weaponry. With the advancements in technology, youkai were forced to improve and strengthen their defenses as well. I'm afraid conventional weapons will not be as effective as they once were. The site has fine training facilities and access to all the newest weapons.” Shippo greatfully accepted another helping of tea while he waited for everything to sink in.

“New weapons and training. I believe that we are up to the challenge Shippo.” Sango offered, excited to learn more about this fascinating time period.

“I knew you would love the idea.” Shippo grinned.

“Tell us Shippo, do you know anything about the jewel or what we are up against?” Miroku had been silently listening and deciphering the information he had been given.

“Not entirely, but that leads me to one final thing. I would like to bring in an old friend of mine. She is trustworthy and I believe would have a great deal to offer. She is a researcher of the supernatural who specializes in weaponry.” He glanced at Inuyasha who had a very perplexed expression on his face.

“Super...what?” He questioned the kitsune.

“Supernatural. There is a whole other world out there Inuyasha. Far more exists than Japan. There are also more than just youkai. Humans refer to supernatural creatures as beings that possess traits that are inhuman. Most however believe that the these creatures are things of myth and lore. They would be shocked to know that primarily all of their myths and folklore are based on a real creatures.” He tried to explain it the best he could. Their experience with these creatures would likely be the best way to educate them.

“Have you spoken to Sesshoumaru about the inclusion of another?” Kagome asked.

“Why the hell does it matter if we have 'his' approval?” Inuyasha was beginning to get irritated with the attention that bastard brother of his was getting.

“Inuyasha! If your brother is taking us in and paying for everything, we had best make sure he is fine with the idea. Plus, he has been around a long time and his wisdom in such matters should be heeded.” Kagome scolded the hanyou.

“Feh! Whatever!” He grumbled back.

“I'll make a few calls and arrange everything Kagome. If you'll excuse me...” Shippo stood from his spot on the couch and casually made his way outside. Flipping open his small cell phone he got to work contacting the two people who would set their plans into motion.

“Well, I guess I should start packing. Sango, would you help me?” Kagome was already preparing a list in her head as the taijiya nodded to her.

“Inuyasha, do you think Miroku and you could tackle grandfather's shed? You've been in there before and Miroku should be able to pick out the most valuable antiques. There are boxes in the the last shed near the well house.” Kagome asked the hanyou sweetly, batting her eyes in an attempt to work her magic.

Inuyasha hated when she used that look on him. Blushing he nodded before showing Miroku the way to the shed. Sango giggled lightly behind Kagome as they watched the pair exit.

“Still works on him I see.” She smiled to see Kagome blushing furiously at her comment. “You know Kagome, you should teach me that look. I think the monk could use tuning in.”

“I don't know what you're talking about.” Kagome giggled slightly with her friend as they made their way out the shed for some boxes.

X-X-X-X-X

They had spent most of the afternoon packing the valuables from Kagome's home. Shippo had insisted on only packing valuable and sentimental objects as their new home was already fully furnished. Kagome focused on carefully packing up the photos and albums that contained precious memories of her family. Sango and she also boxed her mother's and brother's clothing to be delivered to charity. Kagome kept her mother's jewelry, adding it to the small collection of articles that would make the trip to Sesshoumaru's hideaway. Souta's sports gear and video games were put into the pile to donate. Going through a chest in one storage closet, Kagome discovered her mother's wedding Kimono. Smiling happily she decided to add it to the 'keep' pile after Sango and she had been astonished at its beauty. Everything including the kitchenware and furniture would stay as Shippo had arranged for a caretaker to move in promptly after their departure.

As the day receded into evening, Sango and Kagome finished packing and were resting under Goshinboku. The day had been one of healing. At first she had dreaded going through her family’s personal belongs, but it had given her a chance to gain closure. Some parts had actually been fun. True, she had shed tears often through the day, but they were more tears of happiness as she remembered in fondness a memory triggered by a certain possession. It had helped having Sango with her as the taijiya had experienced a loss as great as hers. They had spent some part of the afternoon laughing at various stories Kagome told her about her brother's antics or her mother's scoldings. She would never be able to forget the tragic ending to their lives, but now she felt like she could move on. Concentrating on her wonderful memories rather than their deaths, she would be able to face the upcoming change with an open mind. Kagome smiled brightly as she dropped her head on her friend’s shoulder.

“This helped Sango. It brought back so many memories of our times together. I know that they are at peace now and that they wouldn't want me dwelling on what happened.” She lifted her head and watched as Miroku and Inuyasha were packing boxes of antiques out of the shed.

“Me too. I had fun listening to your stories. It reminded me of the times I shared with my family. I think today was good for me too!” Sango never realized how healing an experience like today could be. What troubled thoughts that had remained in her heart regarding her own tragic past had slowly disappeared through the day. Listening to Kagome's stories had truly helped her shed the last bit of remorse and despair from her soul.

“Well, it looks like the guys are finishing up. Maybe we should fix something to eat?” Kagome began to rise from her resting spot. Turning she offered Sango a hand up.

“Yeah, those two are probably starving by now!” Sango laughed as she accepted the help up.

X-X-X-X-X

After a quiet evening meal, the group relaxed in the living room recuperating from the busy day they had. Miroku and Sango were sitting on the floor around a short table, while Kagome and Inuyasha had taken up residence on the couch. Kirara and Buyo were again snuggled in a corner chair. Boxes littered the area, awaiting to be moved to their new destination. Kagome sighed heavily thinking about the times she had spent in this home. She was saddened that she would be leaving, but glad to have a fresh start.

Shippo entered the room, snapping shut the cover to his cell phone. He smiled broadly as he announced his news.

“Well, everything is lined up. The moving truck will be here early tomorrow morning and the caretaker will be arriving shortly after that. Sesshoumaru already has your living quarters prepared and is awaiting our arrival. The limo will be here to pick us up late morning.” He listed off the details with his fingers.

“Limo! Is Sesshoumaru rich or something?” Kagome gasped in wonder. She had never rode in anything so fancy.

“You could say that.” Shippo replied, a knowing grin spreading across his handsome face.

“What about your friend, the researcher?” Kagome asked, suddenly remembering their discussion earlier.

“She'll be arriving shortly. I just got off the phone with her and she said she'll be here in about twenty minutes. You're going to like her Kagome. She's been a friend of mine for a few centuries now. She's got a lot of spunk. Sango you'll like her as well. She's a good fighter and doesn't take shit from anyone.” He spoke fondly of his friend.

“What about us? Will we like her?” Miroku asked trying to pry more information out of Shippo without being obvious about his thoughts.

“My advice to you Miroku is you had best keep your hands to yourself. She's not as kind as Sango and will likely cut them off.” His seriousness implied no mischief. He truly believed that she would dismember the monk if he tried his usual antics on her.

“Point taken!” Miroku was dodging the look of daggers Sango was throwing his way.

“Alright! I guess I'll find some more blankets for our guests. Will you be alright in Souta's room Shippo? I'll put your friend in Mom's room.” Kagome hurried upstairs after the quick nod of approval from Shippo.

Twenty minutes later the four where peering through the windows watching as Shippo greeted a women climbing the Shrine steps. She was even in height to Shippo making her taller than Kagome and Sango. It was hard to tell anything else about her as she was clothed in baggy pants and a hooded sweatshirt. Her head was covered with a ball cap, a bandanna covering her hair beneath it. As they neared, you could see a smile on her face, but the ball cap and hood shaded most of her features.

Kagome raced to the door, eager to meet the new addition to their group. Swinging it wide open, she was met with the most amazing luminous gray eyes she had ever seen. Her senses tingled at the unearthly presence of the woman before her.

“Kagome I would like you to meet my friend, Misery. Misery this is Kagome Higurashi.”