InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ The Beach Part 1 ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]


The Beach- Part 1

The warm breeze cooled her heated skin as she lay on the beach, casually sipping an icy beverage. Today was a perfect day. Lots of sun with not a cloud in sight. Kagome sighed as she rolled over, exposing her back to the heated rays of the afternoon sun. Sango, Kirara, and Misery were all relaxing in a similar fashion on either side of her.

The girls had gotten up early and done some packing before all crowding into Misery's room to get ready for the excursion. Late last night they had decided to skip the hot springs in favor of a 'camp out' on the beach so they had spent the remainder of the evening and morning packing everything they would need. Happy with their supplies, the three had set out to the beach without the guys. Shippo was taking Inuyasha and Miroku to gather the camping gear they would need for later, before meeting them at their current location.

"Another cold one?" Misery sat up waving the cold vodka cooler in front of Kagome.

"You know, I'm starting to think you’re a souse!" Kagome laughed before accepting the drink. She wasn't much for drinking, but hanging around Misery in 'vacation mode' was bringing out her inner party girl. She was however smart enough to pace herself, making sure that her first drink lasted well over an hour.

"How 'bout you Sango?" Misery reached into the cooler to pull out another beverage.

"Um, okay I guess." Sango was eying the trail that the boys would be approaching on.

"Calm yourself Sango, they'll be here soon enough." Misery giggled tossing the drink to the taijiya.

Sango blushed before catching the drink. She pondered taking off the wrap skirt Misery had given her after she had voiced her concern and embarrassment about wearing just the suit. Kagome and Misery had also insisted that she pack a pair of shorts and tank top, so she that she had something to change into if she felt too uncomfortable. She appreciated the gesture greatly, but currently found that the hot sun was nice to lay in. Quickly pulling the ties loose on the skirt she opened it to bask in the glory of the day. The shorts and shirt were neatly folded by her side, as she was ready to cover herself at the first sign of an approaching vehicle.

"I feel less naked now." Sango mused at her companions. Amazingly she was growing accustomed to the scant outfit, and was even a little excited to see the monk's reaction.

"A few more of these and you probably won't care at all!" Misery laughed again before pulling out a bottle for herself and settling back down on her towel. "I think we'll have a bite to eat after these drinks. Wouldn't hurt to get some food in our stomaches. I don't think we need to be drunk this early in the day."

"Food sounds great." Kagome yawned and set her drink into a sand cup holder she had dug out. "If I lay around too long I'm afraid I'll be sleeping!"

Kagome's yawns were contagious as the other two joined in as well. The afternoon sun pelted them with warmth and the casual waves of the sea lulled their senses. Combined with the small amount of alcohol they had consumed, each girl was soon sleeping.

X-X-X-X-X

"Do we really need all this? The girls will be fine with sleeping on the ground." Inuyasha grunted as he hauled another sleeping bag out of the truck.

"A true gentleman always sees to the comfort of his companions Inuyasha." Sesshoumaru lectured his brother.

"I don't see you carrying anything!" Inuyasha growled back.

"Naturally, I'm the navigator." Sesshoumaru's cool words did nothing to calm the angered
hanyou.

Shippo gathered the last pack before locking the truck doors. The morning had been a long one trying to keep Inuyasha and Miroku out of trouble at the store they had visited. He had been nervous too when they had run into Sesshoumaru on the way off the estate. After explaining what was going on, he had been slightly shocked when the stoic youkai had informed them that he would be joining them. So he had spent the last few hours trying to keep the brothers from fighting as well as herd the lecherous monk away from the sales staff. Thoroughly exhausted he was looking forward to relaxing on the beach.

As he trudged down the trail he was wishing that the Lord hadn't grumbled about messing up the beach with the 4x4 truck he had driven. Packing all the gear would have been much easier if he was still driving. Instead the truck was parked a mile away from where the girls were at. His head was beginning to throb as Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru bickered about nothing. Rounding the corner he was ecstatic to see the girls lounging in the distance.

Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha grew quiet as the girls came into view. Both apparently agreeing to disagree on their last argument. Closing the distance Inuyasha could clearly see skin, and a great deal of it. Blushing he edged closer to the monk.

"Do you see what I see?" Miroku whispered excitedly.

"Feh! What of it monk." Inuyasha mumbled trying to keep his composure as he ran his eyes down Kagome's toned body.

"The kami have truly gifted us today." Miroku's eyes were fixed on Sango who slept oblivious to the stares she and the others were receiving. He had seen glimpses of her naked before, spying on her as she bathed in the hot springs. This however was entirely different. She was proudly and willingly displaying herself for him.

Shippo merely rolled his eyes at the two as he continued on. Living in modern society, it was nothing for him to see women in bathing suits. He was not immune to the effect, but considering who they were looking at, he felt nothing except the desire to wipe the drool and stupid looks from the other's faces. Perhaps he should introduce the pair to a modern delicacy like the man's magazine 'Playboy'! He chuckled slightly at the thought of how they would react. Miroku would likely be in heaven, while Inuyasha would be as red as a cherry with embarrassment. He smiled when he caught sight of Misery. She was looking as fine as ever. True, he thought of her as a good friend even somewhat of a sister, but one could always appreciate a beautiful view. A quiet growl beside him made him turn his head towards Sesshoumaru. He was met with the usual emotionless eyes, nothing to suggest anything was wrong. He had thought that he had heard a territorial growl but he couldn't be sure. Why would Sesshoumaru be growling anyway? Mental shrugging he turned his attention back to the girls.

Miroku couldn't help himself for when they had finally stopped in front of the girls, he was practically drooling. The delicate curve of Sango's shoulders. The tantalizing dip of her spine. And oh the glorious view of her backside, draped with tight red fabric sent him hurtling off the edge. Before he knew it, his cursed hand was tracing a line up her thigh and onto that luscious hiney!

Sango woke with a start when she felt that hand caressing her. She knew immediately what was going on, reaching and grasping her shoe she spun it around connecting loudly with Miroku's head.

"Hentai! Baka!" She screamed before pulling the tank top on and wrapping the skirt securely around her, then stomped off to fume alone.

"Dumbass!" Misery groggily muttered as she pulled herself out of her sleeping state. "You know Miroku, you're not getting anywhere by molesting the poor girl every time you see her. Tactless Bastard!"

"I know, this cursed hand will be the demise of me." Miroku looked at his hand smiling sheepishly, only slightly ashamed of what he had just done.

"Yeah, you'll be muttering that phrase when 'Prince Charming' swoops in and woos Sango with his captivating and sophisticated manners." Misery glared at the monk.

Miroku pondered on Misery's words a moment before suddenly blanching. The likelihood of another attempting to court Sango in this day and age was a very real possibility. What if he should lose her to another? His heart clenched at the thought. Now the implications of his actions became a burden on him and he flushed with shame. Quickly he stood and left in the direction of the distraught taijiya, eager to mend the damage he had done.

Kagome glanced approvingly at Misery before rolling over. Her eyes met a very blushing hanyou, if only momentarily. Inuyasha was quick to look away preferring to focus on his toes which had buried themselves in the sand. Kagome herself was then prompted to blush realizing her revealing attire was likely quite a shock to Inuyasha.

"Mmmmm, you hungry now Kagome?" Misery broke the awkward silence that was hanging in the air.

"Yes! Let's eat!" Kagome chimed in grateful for the distraction.


X-X-X-X-X


Sesshoumaru sat away from the group staring intently into the soft waves of the ocean. He hadn't known what had come over him. Why had he suddenly decided to attend this function? More importantly, why had he disliked it so much when he saw Shippo notably scanning Misery's barely clad form? He had even growled, luckily catching himself before any real damage was done. He wasn't some young youkai caught up in mating season. He was a responsible, mature businessman for kami sake!

"Wanna cold one Sess?" Shippo asked before taking a seat beside the other youkai.

"Thanks." Sesshoumaru accepted the beer the kitsune offered.

"For someone who wanted to come along you sure are moping quietly by yourself." Shippo noted as he stared into the distance. "Is something going on that I should know about?"

"Meaning?"

"You seem to be acting rather strangely these days." Shippo hadn't quite put things together yet, but he was trying to coax information from the Lord.

"Nothing. Just thinking about the missions to come." Sesshoumaru lied.

"I see. Foods ready if you want some." Shippo stood once more before returning to the others.

X-X-X-X-X

"Sango! Please wait. I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me!" Miroku thankfully slowed his pace when Sango faltered ahead of him.

Stopping behind her, he could tell she was still quite upset by the unsteady rise and fall of her shoulders. The small vibrations down her back revealed that she was trying her hardest to quell the tears that were falling. His heart constricted even tighter knowing that his actions were the cause of her distress. He placed his hand on her shoulder to comfort her, only to feel her stiffen under his touch.

"Sango, I'm a baka I know. I shouldn't have done that to you. It was very insensitive of me." He tried again.

"Why?" She whispered. "Why can't...?"

Miroku used his other hand to reach around her and pull her to face him. He felt a lump form in his throat when her tear stained face looked away from him. Quickly he brought his thumb up to wipe away her tears.

"Kami, Sango. I never meant to hurt you." He whispered back, anguish evident in his own voice. "You just looked so beautiful with the sun warming your skin. I was beside myself with wonder. You were like a tempting siren beckoning me to you. I wanted to hold you, I just messed up again."

"Beautiful?" Sango hiccuped as a fresh wave of tears trailed down her face.

"Kami! Don't cry Sango." He pulled her into his arms, stroking her hair in a soothing motion. "Oh course I think you're beautiful. I've always thought that. The first day I met you I was stunned. You were attacking us with such grace and determination. Never in my life had I ever met a woman as intriguing, as strong or as special as you."

Sango could only hiccup in response before she openly sobbed into Miroku's shirt.

"Sango? Kami Sango, what did I say this time?" Miroku was beside himself, frantically trying to cease the girls tears.

"That's... first... time... beautiful."

It was hard for him to understand her words that were muffled against his shoulder, but what he did hear combined with her relaxing on him was proof enough. She had forgiven him once again for his transgressions. She never ceased to amaze him.

"Sango, would you like to sit and watch the sea with me? I promise I won't let my hand wander."

Sango nodded her head as she wiped the final tears from her face. Sitting beside him, she bravely rested her head on his shoulder. His strong arm quickly wrapped around her to pull her into a secure embrace. Content to be held, she sat in silence letting the waves calm her frazzled nerves.