InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Testing the Waters ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Testing the Waters

Kagome tapped a pencil roughly against the desk as she idly watched Misery work on another batch of ammunition. The weeks had rolled by quickly as the group trained for their new found roles. Every morning they would eat breakfast together before heading into the upper quarters to meet with Jaken. Instructing on world history, technology, cultural changes, world geography and demographics the small toad youkai soon had the trio integrating fairly well into their new surroundings. Afternoons saw the group training with Misery in the lower levels of the ancient manor. Inuyasha often used this time to vent his frustrations about Sesshoumaru and his ‘loyal subject’. Despite what some people thought, Inuyasha was highly intellegent and the learning curve thrown at him had been met with ease. It wasn't the material that frustrated him, it was the annoying youkai that was instructing him. Inuyasha wasn't one to take lessons from a condescending toad! Kagome had insisted that he stick with it, so he had obliged even though he detested her absence.

Kagome and Miroku had been instructing Misery about their spritual powers and together they had constructed a secure chamber for the jewel to reside in. Inscriptions from many of Miroku's sutra had been copied into the computer and inscribed onto all exsisting ammunition. Kagome, not needing instruction from Jaken, had utilized the mornings learning about other worldly evils from Misery. She had also been taking lessons from Shippo on self defense and martial arts.

Sesshoumaru had joined Misery and Kagome the occasional morning, when business meetings did not occupy his time. At first, Kagome had found his presence highly uncomfortable and she was unsure of his intentions. Mostly he sat watching thier progress on the jewel’s containment chamber or the rescribing of the ammuntion. During Misery's instructions on new evil, he offered up his knowledge on remaining youkai. Rarely did he join in with friendly conversation seemingly prefering to remain cold and stoic in the corner. A few days ago, she had noticed something intriguing, a momentary look of longing in the youkai's eyes as he watched Misery. Brief as it was, Kagome was certain that his eyes had held some emotion for the tall red-head. Upon telling Misery her thoughts she had been blasted with the researcher's negative rants on the Lord's distant and frosty nature. From all that she had gathered, Misery was more afraid of the youkai than she was smitten with him.

Kagome sighed as she turned to look at the jewel safely protected in the containment chamber. Soon Misery and she would be preforming ancient summoning spells to free Midoriko from its boundaries. Everyone was most anxious to finally be able to talk freely with the ancient miko. Her wisdom would be most beneficial to the group. It was also getting close to the time that they would begin an offensive attack on some of the more notable evil creatures in the greater Tokyo area. Shippo had been gathering intelligence ever since they had moved to Sesshoumaru's estate. He had developed impressive profiles for many nasty youkai, thus allowing the group to select the creatures they would be likely to encounter first. Sesshoumaru had informed the group that upon Shippo's and Misery's final assessment on their abilities and with their permission, he would circulate rumors about the jewel. This would serve to entice the villians into engaging them in a controlled environment.

"All Done!" Misery's sudden exclaimation drew Kagome from her thoughts.

"Another batch already?" she asked.

"Yep, a few adjustments to the timing and I've increased production speeds by 100%. At this rate I should be able to double our ammunition reserves by the end of the week." Misery was wiping her grease covered hands on a thin towel.

"Don't we have enough bullets already?" Kagome questioned as she eyed the open door next to the weapons room. One side had been stocked from floor to ceiling with bullets.

"You'd be amazed at how many we'll use once the missions begin. Plus, I'll be going out with you on them which means less time in the lab. I'll need a good reserve just to be able to keep up." She smiled back at the miko.

"I see. What else do you have planned for us today?" Kagome was anxious to busy herself with some task.

"Nothing." Misery replied as she prepared to tidy the lab.

"Nothing! What are we supposed to do then?"

"I though that since we've all worked so hard for the past two months that perhaps a much needed break was in order. I've been dying to wear some of those new clothes we got!" She squealed as she put the last of the ammunition in its place.

The prospect of a vacation did sound rather appealing. Kagome was also in no hurry to throw herself back into the line of danger. Helping Misery finishing tidying, her thoughts lingered on the possibilities of Misery's offer. Finally, shutting off the lights the pair made their way back up to the groups' living quarters. Misery opened her door and motioned for Kagome to follow. Spending time in her room had become an evening tradition for the girls, so Kagome had grown quite comfortable in the private quarters belonging to the nephilim. Flopping down on the sofa, she gratefully accepted the cold soda Misery threw her way. The red head took up residence on the opposite arm chair.

"I'm impressed with everyone's skills with the weapons provided to them. Your hand to hand combat skills have come a long way as well. I think it is safe to say that you are all ready to commence the missions. Shippo is in agreement and has informed Lord Sesshoumaru to begin circulating our bait at the end of next week. That means that we have the whole week to relax and blow off some steam before things start getting stressful. If the weather holds I would like to take a trip to the hotsprings and beach. I also have been dying to hit a club. If no one else is interested in dancing, I think I'll still go myself." Misery cracked open her drink, before greedily downing half of the can.

"The beach sounds wonderful! I haven't relaxed in the warm sand in forever! Dancing would be great too, but I don't know how the guys would handle it?" Kagome mused over thoughts of Inuyasha and Miroku in a loud club. Inuyasha would hate the music and his senses would be on overload. However, Misery's special enhanced earplugs would drown out the loud beats and still allow him to comfortably hear conversation and potential threats. Miroku surely would be beaten to a pulp from the reactions his wandering hand would encourage.

"Like I said, they don't have to come. Maybe a girls night out?" Misery grinned wickedly at the though. "No boys to burden the good mood. Besides, we all need attention; girl's need to hear someone call them pretty. If only the fools could learn to keep their hands to themselves."

"What about Shippo and Sesshoumaru?" Kagome asked again and noticed Misery pale slightly at the thought of the two youkai accompaning them.

"If Shippo comes, no man will get within ten feet of us. He sees you like a mother and we're practically brother and sister. He pulls this macho big brother role around me all the time, at this rate I'll die an old maid." She grimmaced taking another slug of her soda.

"Sesshoumaru too?" Kagome laughed when Misery nearly spit out her drink.

"He'd just glare at everyone in the club, then we'd all be standing there alone!" She scowled once more.

"Oh come on, I'm sure he's not that bad!" Kagome tried to encourage the woman.

"Oh I'm sure he is!" She quickly changed the subject. "What about you Kagome, wouldn't a little attention be nice. I'm sure that hard headed hanyou hasn't said one word slightly romantic too you. I swear he has no sense when it comes to dating. Has he even admitted to liking you? It's painfully obvious to everyone except the two of you."

"What!" Kagome blushed "I... uh...."

"Not to mention, I still hear voices in your bedroom Kags! A little friends with benefits perhaps?" The wicked grin was back in place.

"No! It's not like that at all! Inuyasha stayed with me the first week or so after Mom and Souta were killed so that I wouldn't have nightmares. Now he sleeps on the couch. He says he doesn't like being in another room at night. Inuyasha has always stayed to protect me." Kagome tried adamantly to clarify and justify the hanyou's actions.

"That so huh, then why does he always sneek back to his room before everyone else is awake?" Noticing the stunned look on Kagome's face she continued. "You forget that I am a late sleeper and very earlier riser."

"I guess, he didn't want Miroku or Sango to know. " Kagome stared down into the can she was holding.

"Embarassed is he or perhaps feeling guilty. He knows that it's not proper for him to be in your quarters at night especially since you two have 'no relationship'."

"We'll I guess if everyone knew they would assume that we were...." Kagome blushed harder and found herself unable to finish the sentence.

"Bumpin' uglies! The horizontal mambo! You know...'getting jiggy wit it'! Is that what you were trying to say?" Misery laughed. "Honesty Kagome, who cares if you are! This isn't feudal Japan. Sex isn't prohibited. If you two choose to become intimate, then that's your business. Besides, I can tell that damn monk has been wanting to do much the same with Sango since they moved here. We're all your freinds Kagome, none of us would think less of you two if you went through with it."

"I realize that, it's just...well" Kagome paused again unsure of how to proceed.

"He has kissed you right?" Misery asked, but found her answer in the downward cast of the girl on the couch.

"What! That imbecile hasn't even got that far yet! What about Miroku? Has he managed to plant one on Sango yet or does he keep screwing up his chances by pushing her boundaries with that wandering hand?"

Kagome could simply shake her head in acknowledgement of each of the males' failures.

Misery sunk back down into the chair, dazed at the implications of the group’s relationships. Even with Inuyasha's and Sango's traditional upbringings, she had been expecting to some juicy gossip about their dating games, considering how long the group had been travelling together. However, after all that prodding, she finds out that the bare necessities had not even been met yet. Sure, they were from feudal Japan but how long could one honestly deny basic human nature. A devious plot began to unravel in her mind.

"Kagome, what's the best way to make men realize what's in front of them?" She asked with a devilish smile on her face.

Kagome noted the change in Misery's features and soon began to feel uneasy. She knew by the look that the woman wore, she was likely devising a way to rectify the perceived inadequacies the two men had in the game of love. She shook her head before asking.

"I don't know. What?"

"It's easiest to let the attentions of others show them just how special we are. I think going to the club is most definately going to kick start some positive changes in those two. Once they see the two of you surrounded by handsome gentlemen, they either have to claim what is theirs, or risk losing to some 'prepped out hunk' on your arm."

"You want to take those two with us! Are you nuts!?" Kagome was grasping at straws, trying to get out of the situation she had found herself imagining the destruction a crazed jealous hanyou could do in a club. Although she agreed with Misery, she was afraid to take the next few steps with Inuyasha. Innocent as she was, the thought was a rather daunting one.

"No, I want us girls to go alone and play some trick that will have the guys end up finding us at the club. Much easier to pull off if they aren't there to mess things up right off the bat! Pefect. Beach on Friday! Club on Saturday. After seeing us in those suits, they'll be primed for Saturday night! I guess I just have to figure out how I'm going to hide weapons under that cocktail dress." Misery was already caught up in figuring out the week’s agenda

"Friday's tomorrow!" Kagome began to panic about the weekend ahead of her.

"Best get at it. Who's to say that the vacation won't get cut short by a horde of nasty youkai looking to make the jewel their own latest accessory."

"Right. I guess we can wait for Sango to get here to tell her. What are you going to tell the guys about Saturday night?" Kagome questioned, slowly calming herself.

"Hmmm, I guess I'll tell Shippo that were going out later. Maybe I'll suggest him taking the guys to the new derby cart race track that opened. Then I'll tell him that they can meet up with us later. By the time he calls to find out where we are at, we'll already be getting our groove on!" Her excitement was evident as she chattered on about her plans.

Kagome was finally letting herself relax and get into the moment of being a young, normal woman again. It had been ages since she had done any activity appropriate for a girl of her age. Dancing sounded fun and the weekend would be a welcomed distraction from the trials to come. She decided that for once she wasn't going to worry about the fate of the jewel and just let herself be a regular girl for a few days. Realizing what she was telling herself, she felt very free in that moment. It was almost as if none of the crazy adventure had ever happened. She could pretend that she was simply spending summer with her two best friends preparing for a night out on the town. She was finally getting her chance to act her age and play around some. Sango was going to enjoy this as well. She had openly taken to the modern age and was enjoying what it had to offer to a young woman. She was relaxing her ties to the old traditions and welcoming the prospects of living more freely. It was time for them to test the waters.