InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Punisher and Retribution ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Thank you's extended to everyone who has taken the time to read this fic!!!!Special thanks to angel-up-above-heaven, sexxiigurrll0204, Sayuriko, chanda, CatLover260, and loretta537 for the recent reviews! I feel so loved! *blushes*. Of course I need to extend my gratitude to kokoronagomu who always takes the time to edit my work and educate me at the same time.
Punisher and Retribution

Shippo was up early and set to work waking everyone with a loud knock on each door. Then he busied himself with grabbing the crew a quick breakfast, bringing back a food cart heaped with pastries, coffee, and juice. By the time he had arrived everyone was gathered in his living area. Offering them breakfast, he informed them of the day's schedule. First they would be meeting Misery in the lab; after she had watched their fighting styles she would be matching them with weapons. Then it was off to Jaken's education room where they would begin acquainting themselves with the new world. Kagome would be free in the afternoon although Shippo suggested that she take the time to go over some of their enemies with Misery. Finally they would all meet again in the main dining hall. Finishing their sweet breakfast, they gathered their weapons and headed off to Misery's lab. Before entering the lower level of the building, Shippo pulled Inuyasha aside to hand him two tiny earplugs.

"You'll be needing these. Misery works best in loud settings and these have been specially designed to filter out that racket she calls music. You'll still be able to hear everyone talk, so you can thank me later." Shippo grinned as he stuffed the earplugs into Inuyasha's ears. He followed suit by using two of his own.

Opening the main door they walked down the corridor that led to the research facility. Kagome reached the door first and upon cracking it open they were greeted by the loud thumping of bass. Opening it further, the loud strums of electric guitar, bass and the melodic rage of a metal singer blasted out. Misery was engrossed in her study of some cell plate under her microscope. Her head rocked slightly to the beat in the room, the pencil in her hand tapping in rythmn as well. When she caught sight of them in her peripheral vision, she smiled and lifted a remote in her hand, turning the music down a few notches to a soft thumping in the background.

"Morning!" She greeted.

"You didn't stay down here all night did you?" Shippo asked as he handed her the coffee and muffin that he had brought down for her.

"No, I went to bed late and ended up not being able to sleep, so here I am." She happily excepted the coffee and went to work devouring the muffin.

Shippo sent her a knowing frown and was about to say something when Miroku interrupted.

"Misery-sama, have you thought of a way to seperate Midoriko-sama from the jewel?" He asked.

"Mmm, not yet. I wish to analyze the jewel first. Spirits are often able to manifest in some form if they are strong enough. Midoriko should be able to recover and do the same. How long that would take is anyone’s guess though. We can not afford to wait years for this. I have a theory that we should be able to remove her presence and grant her an easier way of projection. I was hoping that I could free her and allow her to wander in this world. A specialized dimension mirror would allow her to project her image more easily. My biggest concern is that I would have to use an old releasing spell. I haven't practiced such tactics before." Misery was lost in her own ramblings once again oblivious to the vacant looks everyone was giving her.

"You mean like summon the dead, ouiji boards, and pentgrams?" Kagome asked, still confused at the researchers ramblings.

"Oi! Your words do me no justice, Kagome!" Misery laughed, only imaging the vision of a witch Kagome was thinking of. "I would use a normal pentagram and summoning circle, not a reverse one associated with satanism. Pagan rituals used gaelic spells based on the elements to do their biding. I trust in their magic."

"So you can't actually raise the dead?" Miroku looked worriedly at her.

"No, I will simply free Midoriko from her attachments to the jewel. Would it not be nice for her to wander the halls of this estate? Such freedom she has not experienced since she imprisioned herself in the Jewel of four souls." Misery laughed again at the concerned look on the monk's face. "Fear not monk, I merely wish to give whatever’s left of her a bit of mobility. You know, let her out of the jewel, spring her out of her pretty prison."

A simple nod from the monk reassured all that her words were not being taken lightly. Misery turned her attention back to Kagome and gestured towards a large device in the room.

"Kagome, would you put the jewel on the plate under the scope. You can stay with it. This machine will amplfy the jewel’s image and allow me to gather data on it. I do not wish to put the jewel under a regular microscope. I can not imagine Midoriko would appreciate the heat from the light bulb." Misery waited until the jewel was secure until moving to a computer beside her microscope.

Typing with expert ease she was soon bringing up images of the jewel on the screen. Downloading infromation from the machine, she was quickly jotting notes and typing commands.

"Interesting....." She mumbled as she continued to type.

Graphs were beginning to appear on the screen beside the multiple pictures. Pausing she waved at Kagome signalling the girl to join her.

"Kagome, you need to look at this. Miroku you too." She brought up one of the graphs and pointed out the lines. "This line here symbolizes akki and this one’s youki. These two here represent life force. The readings we're getting suggests that.....well...the jewel's alive."

"Alive?" Miroku and Kagome gasped in shock.

"How can that be?" Sango asked.

"I'm not sure." Misery made quick work on the keyboard bringing up more images; concern flawing her normally cheerful features. "It's like its taken on a lifeforce of its own."

"Like Yura's comb?" Inuyasha asked Kagome, thinking back to the inanimate object that had been the force behind the hair youkai.

"I don't know. We've seen how swords or other objects can possess others." Kagome whispered, still shocked by what Misery had discovered.

"Yes, it could be possible. Think about some of the mononoke we have fought. The one who took the form of Inuyasha's mother, she was born form the despair of mothers who had lost their children in the great wars. Could the jewel have absorbed the wills of those it had been possessed by, thus giving life to itself?" Miroku pondered the issue.

"If that is true, what does it mean for those who still desire the jewel. It should be unable to grant wishes now, but what abilites remain?" Misery contimpated the possiblities."I think it best that I review the data we have compiled before we come to any conclusions. This new information means I need to alter my plans on a containment device. I will also have to be very careful when I summon Midoriko, I do not believe that it would be wise for the other entity to make its way out of the jewel. Leave this with me and I will get back to it. Kagome, you may take the jewel again."

"Alright, now that we've had a little excitement I say we check out the weapons." Shippo was itching to get into the training room.

"First I need to see their fighting styles. I'm glad you brought your weapons with you. Please show them to the arena, I'll get the computers ready for the first scenario." Misery prepared the information on her computer to be saved as she gave her orders to the kitsune.

Granting them access to the arena, Shippo was quick to explain that they would be fighting against images developed by the computer. Although it would be fake, the demonstration would lend insight into their current ablities. Misery would take the information she gathered from the event and pair them with appropriate weapons. Shortly after he had finished, Misery gave the go ahead and dimmed the lights. Immediately the group was being accosted by spectral images of youkai beasts. Ten minutes later, all simulations had been dispatched, though the end of the facility had been singed dramatically by Inuyasha's wind scar.

"You didn't really need to blow the room up." Shippo grumbled to Inuyasha as he turned the lights back on.

"You’re just jealous!" Inuyasha smirked back as he tucked the Tetssiaga back into its sheath.

"Impressive!" Misery clapped as she vacated the simulation booth.

"That was amazing! You say that those were not real?" Sango was having a hard time grasping the idea of a simulated youkai.

"Smoke and mirrors I'm afraid." Misery replied. "Follow me."

Miroku and Sango just looked at each other in confusion, not understanding what the woman had meant. They were quick to catch up and trail behind the others. Misery brougth them into a smaller room that was off the trainining facility. Inside were weapons of all types both modern and ancient. At the other end of the room was another door, which Shippo informed them led to the hallway. Misery made quick work gathering guns and blades from seperate storage lockers. She handed Shippo an arm full before pushing him back out into the training arena. Quickly she rounded up the last remaining items she desired before joining the rest near the door. Maneuvering around the group she made her way into arena. Kneeling down she laid the weapons out before her and Shippo joined her in the task.

"Alright, if you all care to take a seat, I'll start pairing you up with these beautities." Misery suggested.

"First off, Sango I'm afraid that your main weapon is too large for most of our missions."

"But I have always used Hiraikotsu!" Sango looked longingly at the large weapon she had brandished made from youkai bones under the instruction of her father.

"I understand your connection with the weapon, but there is no way you'll fit into any of our vehicles with it. I wish you to keep your sword, but I am going to pair you up with two of my defense prototypes." Misery selected two hand guns from her pile. Handing them to Sango she explained the weapons. "That gun is called the Punisher. Its reminiscent of many handguns today, but my alterations have made it more accurate in long range combat. Your amminution for the Punisher will be the scribed bullets I showed you yesterday. I'll show you how it works when we are done. I also have throwning knives or kunai that will be fashioned into holders in the boots I have designed. They are capable of emitting short explosive blasts. Very useful in getting yourself out of difficult situations."

"Don't worry Sango, I guarantee you'll enjoy blasting the asses off of youkai with those guns. Just wait until you try them." Shippo offered the taijiya reassurance about her new weapons.

"Miroku, for you I have chosen a few items. First I wish to replace your staff with a more 'travel freindly' version. This one is collapsable and you can see that by its size you can carry it on a holder around your waist. When it's time to fight just push this," she demonstrated and the steel rod that once fit in her hand lenghtened to the size of his original staff. "Taa Daa! Instant staff."

"Amazing!" Miroku handled the new weapon carefully, trying out the mechanism that expanded and collapsed it. Pushing the button the staff collapsed causing the monk to jump in surprise.

"This here is the safety, when its on, the staff won't expand. This ensures that you are safe when it is tethered to your hip." Misery pointed out the safety to him. "I also would like you to use this gun. Its name is the Silencer. I modeled it off of a military issue long range sniper. You can use it for both offensive and defensive initiatives. I am also issuing you a Punisher for closer range attacks. With a little help from you I suggest we turn these throwing stars or shuriken into barrier projectiles. We'll work on that later.”

Leaving Sango and Miroku to inspect their new possessions the researcher turned her attention on Inuyasha and Kagome. She reached for a larger hand gun and handed it to Inuyasha.

“Inuyasha, the sword you possess is very powerful. Great strength is necessary to wield such a weapon and so I give you this. She's been one of my favorite creations. Prototype MKA-70. Very powerful with one hell of a recoil. You'll need that strength to hang onto this gal after you fired her. I nicknamed her 'Retribution'. One shot from this gun and you'll send scores of evil creatures to oblivion. Specialized bullets have been designed for her use only. I imagine between the gun and your sword you will be well armed. I do have a few other gadgets for you in storage.”

Inuyasha only nodded at her and held the gun, having never seen one fired he could only wonder about the workings of such a device. He stopped investigating his own to see what she was going to give to Kagome.

“Kagome, you have not the heart of a warrior. Your kind nature prohibits you from actively seeking violence, but your fierce protectiveness of those around you makes you a force to be reckoned with. I will keep with tradition and provide you with a modern bow and arrow. This is my rendition of a crossbow. You'll see that is compact and lightweight. It also possesses the same abilities as Miroku's staff, collapsing for easy travel. I have a carrier designed for it that you will wear at your hip much like a police officer has for his baton. Check this out.” Misery handed Kagome the ammunition clip that went with the crossbow.

“Tiny arrows!” Kagome pulled on out of the clip to inspect it further. The thin silver arrow fit easily in her palm. Pencil thin and only inches long; the arrow was minuscule compared to her feudal era weapon.

“Yeah, and these arrows have the ability of amplifying your spiritual energy. I'm betting they'll pack a nasty punch. I think that I'll be giving you those throwing stars as well once I'm done with them. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to pack some heat as well.” Misery stood and went to quickly retrieve a box from the ammunitions locker in the weapons room.

Shippo stood when she shouted from the room asking him to prepare targets. He disappeared into the simulation booth, and soon a firing range was being drawn out from the side walls. Misery returned to the group with a large metal box in her arms. Setting the box in front of them she drew out the appropriate cartridges filed with blanks for each firearm. Handing a few to each person she demonstrated how to load their piece. Once loaded she turned toward the range and fired off a few rounds. Both Miroku and Sango had jumped at the loud noise the firearm had made as it discharged each blank. Inuyasha responded by drawing his sword and pushing Kagome behind him.

“You grasp the concept?” She grinned as she turned back to the crowd. Motioning to Shippo, the targets were drawn forward so all could inspect the damage she had done.

After realizing how the weapons worked, Sango was especially keen on trying out her 'new toys'. Lining up to the targets she took aim and fired a shot, still jumping when the loud noise assaulted her ears. She grinned widely after her first attempt then regrouping to fire round after round at the stationary targets at the end of the room.

Enjoying the spectacle of Miroku and Sango hammering the targets with 21st century fire power, Kagome took the opportunity to question Shippo.

“Isn't Lord Sesshoumaru worried about us wrecking the building?” she asked quietly.

“Nope, this room is reinforced with the strongest materials known to man. The walls also have barriers so its basically like a super sized bank vault. Sound proofing has been done as well so we can actually blow stuff up in here and no one outside this room would have any idea what we’re up to!” Shippo replied back.

“Oh, I see.” She watched as Inuyasha loaded his gun 'Retribution'.

“Hold on tight!” Misery grinned as she prepared for deafening blast. She actually held her fingers in her ears to lessen the noise making sure to remember to distribute hearing protection to the group next time.

“Oi wench! I'll be able to handle it.” Inuyasha grumbled as he placed both hands on the gun and aimed at the target. Upon release he found himself square on his ass, the recoil had sent him sprawling.

“Perfectly executed!” Misery laughed wiping the tears from her eye. When Inuyasha sent her a dirty look, she rewarded him by laughing harder.

Inuyasha's 'never give up' attitude helped him rise and aim once more. He braced his feet this time leaning into the blast as the gun discharged. He met approving eyes when he remained standing the second time around.

“Fast learner I see.” Misery complimented the hanyou.

Inuyasha grinned as he let loose another few rounds in quick succession. Misery spent the next few minutes instructing the three on their weapons. All listened intently as she showed and named each part of the gun, finishing with the safety switches on each then she checked her watch and turned to Shippo.

“Afternoon already, perhaps you should get them fed and up to Jaken.” She suggested.

“Agreed. I think I'll schedule morning classes from now on and you can have them in the afternoon. Inuyasha is going to need a place to vent his frustration after spending the morning with that annoying little toad.” Shippo motioned the group through the door.

"I think I'll stay here with Misery if you don't mind Shippo. I want to discuss the jewel with her." Kagome made her wishes known to the kitsune.

"Fine. I'll see you at dinner. I'd best get these three to class or Jaken will be impossible the rest of the day." He gave her a mischievious wink before beginning to herd the others out of the facility. Inuyasha sent Kagome a look of longing before Shippo grabbed him dragging him out of the room.

"Let's get going 'Loverboy'." Shippo smirked as Inuyasha changed to a vibrant shade of red.

"Shut it Shippo or I'll do it for you!" He growled back once he overcame his initial embarrassment. Looking over his shoulder he witnessed Kagome's blush which only furthered enhanced his own crimson colouring. He was quick to exit after that. Kagome and Misery watched as the group disappeared down the long hallway.

"Soooo Kagome," Misery drawled out as she flung an arm around her shoulder. "Still not official yet eh? You want me to kick some sense into that hanyou?"

"What! I don't know what you mean." Kagome stuttered.

"Sure you don't. I wonder, was I just hearing voices when I got back late last night," Misery tried to stifle a laugh as she watched a look of horror wash over Kagome's face. "or were you gettin it on?"

"Are you crazy!" Kagome exploded before making an indignant stomping exit from the training area and back into the lab.

"Should I take that as a no then Kagome?" Misery called out laughing as she followed the distraught teen back into her lab.