InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Elemental Design ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Elemental Designs

Nervously the group sat at the finely carved banquet table. Trays upon trays of tantalizing dishes were being placed before them as they awaited the arrival of their host. When the last dish was placed upon the table, the tall doors swung open and the tall youkai Lord entered.

"My apologies. I was tied up in a conference call. I trust you are all settled in nicely?" Sesshoumaru made his way to the head of the table and took his seat.

"Yes. Thank you Sesshoumaru, the rooms are lovely." Kagome's appreciation shone brightly in her eyes.

"Excellent. Please dish up, we have much to discuss. I'm afraid I'll have to rush this meal. I have another call I must take shortly." He glanced at his watch to assure the correct time.

"Shippo tells me that you have ordered many items from Tokyo. Should you need anything else do not be afraid to ask." Sesshoumaru made haste loading his plate with the delectable offerings on the table.

Kagome simply nodded as she watched in mild fascination as the normally prim and proper Lord made like Inuyasha with his food. When his plate was full, Kagome followed Shippo's lead and began dishing herself a plate. Misery made her entrance late, still dressed in her lab coat, hair wrapped into a knot on her head. She had disappeared to the lab shortly after they had finished shopping. Tired looking, she took a seat beside Shippo and dished herself a plate.

"Pardon my delay everyone, I was tied up in the research lab unpacking. Did you have any luck with the legalities my Lord?" Misery asked, oblivious to the blank stares coming from Kagome and the others.

"Partially, we will need to ensure a proper paper trail has been established for Inuyasha, Miroku and Sango. I will be giving Inuyasha my last name for all documents. It is only fitting since he is my brother." Sesshoumaru fell silent when food was suddenly sprayed across the table.

"Who the hell said I wanted your name?" Inuyasha shouted suddenly rising to stand at the table.

Kagome nearly choked on her food when the brothers' conflict began. Coughing lightly to clear her throat, she moved to place a restraining hand on the hanyou's arm.

"Inuyasha, please." Pleading with her eyes, she managed to calm him down. "It does make sense for you to take his name. You must understand that it is important for you to have all the right documents in my time. You need a birth certificate, medical history something to prove that you are real."

"Feh, I'm standing here ain't I! That should make me real!" He grumbled back, disgusted with the thought of sharing the name of his brother.

"Inuyasha, it's just a name. Don't be such a baby." Shippo was shaking his head at the hanyou.

"Shut it Shippo!" Inuyasha growled.

"Enough!" The cold stare from days past had returned to the youkai at the head of the table. "You are my blood therefore you shall take my name. I will not hear anymore complaints of this nature."

Sesshoumaru stood at the end of the table. His towering presence making all in attendence shudder. He's eyes narrowed at the hanyou before him.

"Do I make myself clear?" His voice creating a crackling tension in the air.

Kagome was forcibly pulling on Inuyasha's sleeve trying in earnest to get him reseated. Finally, the hanyou turned to look at her. She noticed the reluctant look on his face, but was overjoyed when he took his seat once more.

"Feh! Whatever!" He mumbled.

"Good! Now that's settled, we can move on to more pressing issues. I will arrange all the paperwork to be finished up shortly for each of you. Before you leave have Kagome write down your chosen names, professions, family history, and approximate modern birth dates for me." Sesshoumaru was dishing a second helping of the food that remained on the table.

"Shippo, what are the plans for educating and retraining?"

"Misery will be handling weapons training and education on the history of some of our enemies. Jaken will assist me in educating the three on the change in times and customs. He is currently busy gathering materials for them to view on what has transpired in the past five centuries. Until they are brought up to date, I think it is best that they remain on the premises. The security here will be more than enough to protect them this early in the game. Not many creatures know about the jewel as of yet. Kagome did an excellent job destroying all who have found out thus far." Pride shone in the kit's eyes as he smiled at his surrogate mother.

"I agree Shippo. It would be most wise if they are secured on the grounds. You will all find my home has much space for you to roam until we deem you ready to venture into the world." Sesshoumaru was enjoying toying with his younger brother. The look on the hanyou's face was reassurance enough that he was doing an admirable job of annoying him.

"Ready! Did you forget I've been here before, Sesshoumaru? Like I need to be educated. I can protect Kagome just fine right now!" Inuyasha was getting tired of all the little stabs his brother seemed to be taking at him.

"My Lord, I would like to speak of the jewel." Ignoring the hanyou's outburst, Misery gestured towards the jewel protectively strung around Kagome's neck.

"Yes, I too wished to breach that topic. Kagome, Shippo has told me that Midoriko-sama is still residing inside the jewel. How can this be, did you not purify it?" His emotionless gaze fell upon the school girl.

"I did purify it. That's why the well closed. For some reason something went wrong and the jewel retains some sort of presence. I'm not sure why." Kagome looked down into her hands as she was a little ashamed at not knowing what had happened.

“Midoriko-sama came to the three of us in our sleep, that is how we were able to pass through the well. I assume that she has spent most of her energy and rests once more.” Miroku offered his knowledge trying to give Kagome a break from the taiyoukai's cool stare.

Misery and Sesshoumaru both paused, intently thinking upon the words of the monk. Finally, Misery looked back up at the group, her gaze falling to the jewel again.

“Perhaps she came to you in dreams because she has lost the ability to conjure up a visible form. The constant fighting against the evil in the jewel would have taxed her energy greatly.” Misery paused again, gathering her thoughts before she continued. “I think it would be most wise of us to place the jewel in a protected barrier. To take it on missions would be foolish.”

“Misery is right. Kagome, you will not take the jewel with you. It would only endanger yourself and the others.” Sesshoumaru soon regarded the young woman in the lab coat. “Would you be able to create such a containment device?”

“Miroku and Kagome have knowledge of ancient spiritual spells. That information has been lost to all in this era. I believe that by combining my abilities with their spiritual knowledge, we would be able to create proper containment of the jewel. Truthfully though, I worry about this Midoriko. I would like to remove her presence from the jewel if at all possible. Perhaps I can find a way to transfer her soul into something that would allow her to project herself to us. Her knowledge is much needed in our efforts to fight the evil that seeks the jewel’s powers. I'm not sure what I can do now, but given enough time, I am positive that I would be able to come up with something.” Misery looked thoughtfully at the jewel and then back at Sesshoumaru.

“With Kagome's permission, I would like to begin inspecting the jewel first thing tomorrow. I also would like to request Miroku's presence as well.” Misery nodded towards the monk and then waited for Kagome's reply.

“I guess that would be alright.” Kagome tentatively fingered the jewel around her neck. She suddenly felt relieved at the thought of not having to worry about it in battle. It would be nice for it to be secured and the prospect of finally talking to Midoriko was enticing.

“That's settled then.” Sesshoumaru stood from the table, his eyes falling to the watch on his wrist. “If you would all excuse me, I have business I must attend to. I will see you all again tomorrow evening for our next formal meal. Jaken will be joining you in the morning as well. Please direct any concerns or questions to him in my absence.”

With a short nod of his head, Sesshoumaru hastily left the dinning room. The group stared as he made his exit; the tension in the room taking a noticeable drop when he had finally vanished from sight.

“Arrogant prick like always.” Inuyasha grumbled before stuffing another bite of rice into his mouth.

Kagome just shook her head at the boy, before returning her gaze to the door the youkai Lord vanished through. She was still trying to take in the events of the past few days. It was strange being inside this ancient estate surrounded by her friends from the feudal era. Stranger yet was the emptiness that had found a spot inside her chest. The pain of losing her family was still fresh, but slowly it was numbing and turning into a sense of hollowness. What lay ahead of her? What plans did Midoriko and the Kami have for her? Of all the people in the world, why had she been chosen to guard the jewel of four souls? So many questions came to mind, swirling in a black abyss of confusion and misunderstanding. Frightened by the potential of becoming tainted by the hatred triggered after the slaughter of her family, she had tried desperately to push those thoughts and questions from her mind. She knew that any darkness in her soul could be a potential hazard for all around her. Glancing at the faces around her, Kagome realized that she had to focus on working through her problems. The path that lay before them would be long and hard, she did not wish to worry about tainting the jewel as well.

“Kagome?” Inuyasha whispered after seeing the troubled expression on her face.

“Yes?” She smiled back at her hanyou.

“You okay?”

“I'm fine, Inuyasha.”

Inuyasha hadn't missed the look on her face before she turned and smiled at him. The transition must still be difficult for her. To lose her family and then her home had been demanding on her. The stress etched on her delicate features made her appear more mature and battle hardened than she should have ever been. He only wanted to see her happy now, not having to constantly worry about the fate of all around her. She had drifted into her thoughts moments before, most likely about what lay ahead. It didn't matter to him what they would face, Kagome was with him once more. Just having her by his side was enough. He could face anything knowing that he had ‘his girl’ to protect.

“Misery, have you managed to finish everything in the lab?” Shippo asked his friend, noticing how tired she looked.

“Almost. I'm impressed at the equipment that is in the research facilities. I'll be able to stock our ammunition reserves in no time at all.” She replied enthusiastically.

“Have you picked weapons for everyone yet?”

“Mmm, not quite. I need to get to know everyone a little more. I have some good ideas, but I wish to see their fighting styles and personalities more.” Misery began to question the entire group. “Would you like to tour the facilities later? I'm sure you are all interested to see what I have up my sleeve!”

“That would be lovely! I'm very interested in seeing how and what we will be fighting.” Sango was relishing the opportunity to explore the training facilities and weapon arsenals.

“I think we are all finished Misery, we could go now for a quick tour before retiring for the evening.” Kagome suggested as she stood from the table.

“Great.” Shippo exclaimed. “I'll lead the way.”

X-X-X-X-X

Moments later, the entourage made their way into the brightly lit research facility. Misery took over, leading them past rows of odd looking machines before stopping in front of a large locked cabinet. Fishing a ring of keys from her lab coat pocket, she selected the appropriate one before unlocking the door. Double doors swung wide to reveal a large assortment of guns and ammunition.

“These are some of the prototypes I have been working on. Certain weapons are designed for specific demons, youkai, creatures etc.” She reached in grabbing a small box “ This here is what I have been focusing on for years. You can use most of my ammo in standard issue hand guns and rifles.”

“This little dandy is designed to work on demons.” She pulled the shiny bullet from the box. Passing it to Kagome she went on to explain. “Now, I realize that Miroku and Sango have never seen a bullet, but just bear with me. Do you notice anything different about this bullet from a normal one Kagome?”

“Inscriptions! Tiny symbols at the base and tip.” Kagome intently studied the bullet in her hand.

“Ah! Perceptive! You're right. I have scribed these bullets with Gaelic and Latin exorcist prayers. With Miroku's knowledge, I'll be able to do much the same for youkai exterminating bullets. I have a special machine that laser prints scriptures into each bullet. Much better than doing it by hand like I used too. Miroku can write out sacred sutra and then I can copy them onto the bullets.” Misery beamed at her creativity.

She retrieved the bullet from Kagome before gently placing it back in the box. Turning she replaced the box and reached for another container. She smiled as she opened the box and laid it out for their inspection. Inside thin shaped tubes of various colors had been placed side by side. Each tube was topped with a narrowing silver tip. Picking one up, she again handed it to Kagome.

“Elemental bullets. Look closely at the tubes.” Misery smiled as she watched a look of astonishment wash over Kagome's face.

“Fire! It's burning, but there can't be any oxygen or fuel inside?” Kagome was astounded by the tiny flaming bullet.

“That's where my own magic comes into play. Each one of these bullets represents an element. Fire, wind, earth, and water. All can be used to defeat a creature that is of an opposing element. For example, a fire elemental can be vaporised with a water bullet.”

“What about other myths like werewolves and vampires. You made me think earlier that they really do exist.” Kagome was curious about all the childhood monsters that had graced television and frightened audiences around the world.

“Some truth can be found in our myths Kagome. For example, a silver bullet can kill a werewolf, but not because it is silver. There is a rare alloy that is used to add density to the silver that is the key.” Misery took the opportunity to gather the Elementals and tuck them back into safe keeping. “Slayers from the past did much research about the creatures they hunted. I have been lucky enough to gather much of this knowledge over the years. Big screen terrors like werewolves, vampires, witches, and such were hunted to the verge of exstinction from the 1500's to mid 1800's. Remaining creatures have long since gone into hiding. I'm not certain, but I doubt we will have to face to many of these misunderstood creatures. Likely you will be dealing mainly with evil youkai and oni.”

“I know that it seems crazy, but many of the creatures slaughtered in the past centuries were simply feared for what they represented. Werewolves were not man killers like they are depicted today, they got a bad rap because they killed farmers’ cattle. Man encroached on their habitats, killing or chasing away their normal prey. So they began to kill cattle in order to feed their packs. One thing lead to another and mass hysteria followed. Humans are notorious for fearing that which they do not understand. Fear leads to anger and hate which are always a terrible combination.” She explained.

“That's horrible!” Kagome felt a sense of loss and sorrow for these creatures.

“Hmm, indeed. So many innocents died then.” Misery's eyes clouded before she quickly turned to led the group to another area of the facility.

“Her mother was killed then,” Shippo offered up to the confused group. “She was accused of heresy and witchcraft. Missy watched as they burned her at the stake.”

The group took a moment to digest the information before following Shippo into the large doors Misery had opened. Walking through they found themselves in a large open room. Judging by the size of the structure, it was safe to assume the room was used for training.

“You'll notice the enclosed area to your left. That is the computer station that allows me to run simulations in this area. You will be testing your weapons and fighting skills in here. I'll go through everything in more detail tomorrow. I think that's plenty for you all to take in for one evening. I'm sure Shippo can lead you all back to the living quarters as I'll be staying a little longer down here.” She bowed slightly before turned and vanishing between one of the many bookshelves in the lab.

“That must have been horrible for her. How very fitting that she has joined our group.” Kagome stated quietly.

“What do you mean Kagome?” Miroku asked.

“Can't you see? We're all orphans. Not one of us has any family left to speak of. The only family we have now is each other.” She offered her thoughts.

Everyone nodded gravely as they followed the kitsune out of the lab and back to their rooms. Arriving finally, Kagome got straight to work on gathering all of the information Sesshoumaru had requested. Satisfied with each person's records, she gave the papers to Shippo to deliver to Sesshoumaru. Sango and Miroku each said their 'goodnights' and retreated to the confines of their rooms. Inuyasha waited for Kagome to finish with Shippo before following her out of the room. He pause when she reached her door.

“You gonna be okay tonight?” He asked

“I think so Inuyasha. You're just across the hall right?” She smiled sweetly before entering her room. Turning to shut her door, she saw the hanyou's ears flatten slightly against his head. He recovered and turned to enter his own room.

Kagome had changed and was shutting out lights in the living area when she heard the soft knock on her door. Cautiously she opened the door, peering out into the hallway. She smiled to see Inuyasha pouting as he waited for her to open the door.

“Yes Inuyasha?” She asked.

“I'm staying in here. I don't like not being able to guard you.” He offered no more explanation as he pushed his way in and shut the door behind him.

“Alright. I was kinda scared to stay by myself.” Kagome grinned sheepishly as she moved past him and entered the bedroom.

She folded the covers over and crawled into bed. She hadn't even settled when she felt the mattress sink from the weight beside her. The lamp was quickly shut off and she could feel Inuyasha's arm folding her into his embrace once more. This was becoming a nightly tradition, but she could honestly say that she didn't mind it one bit. She was used to him being close after all the nights she had spent in the Feudal era. They hadn't actually shared the same bed until he had found her again, but he had always been close. She found it very difficult to sleep when he wasn't near. As an arm pulled her into his chest she simply smiled and allowed his vibrating growls lull her once more into a replenishing sleep.