InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Of Brothers and Wardrobes ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]



A/N: Thank you to all who have taken the time to read and review my work. It means the world to me. Thank you to Sailor Draca, Lady Cash, chanda, CatLover260, psyco chick32, and Sayuriko for all your great support. Special thanks to kokoronagomu who has been my editor as well as a source for information and inspiration.
Of Brother's and Wardrobes

Kagome gasped in awe at the old two story feudal era castle. Apparently Sesshoumaru had continued ties to old traditions. The grounds were landscaped beautifully and the gates displayed the Lord's symbol. It did not take long for the limousine to make its way down the long entrance and pull to a stop in front of the main building.

Shippo waited for the driver to open the door for them, before stepping out onto the ground. He assisted Misery out, then Sango and Kagome. Miroku and Inuyasha followed, all coming to stare at the building like gaping idiots.

“We had best not keep him waiting.” Shippo hurried up the steps to the large door marking the entrance to the ancient structure.

“Feh! As far as I'm concerned he can wait all day.” Inuyasha grumbled before reluctantly following the rest of the group into the main building.

Once inside the lavishly decorated home it did not take long for the Lord of the Western Lands to make his grand appearance. He descended from the main staircase, still elegant and flawless. His cold predatory gaze fell over the newcomers to his home. Scanning them one by one until his eyes came to rest on the most familiar of all the faces.

“Shippo, I trust your trip was favorable?” He asked coolly.

“Yes, everything went as planned. The movers made it here alright I hope?” He questioned

“Higurashi-san, your belongings have already been delivered to the living quarters and the research facilities have been stocked with your companions possessions.”

“Great!” Shippo was smiling warmly at the youkai before him.

“I am sorry to hear about your loss Higurashi-san. I hope that you will enjoy your new home here.”

Sesshoumaru took a step towards Kagome in an attempt to be hospitable, only to be cut off by Inuyasha. The hanyou was clutching the hilt of his sword, his eyes daring the older youkai to come closer. Sesshoumaru suddenly displayed an expression that seemed so foreign to the group. He grinned playfully before addressing his younger brother.

“Brother, it seems you're as hasty as ever. No need to fear me now, you'll find that I have little use for swords and battle these days.”

“Feh, who said I feared you?” Inuyasha grumbled, still holding the sword strapped to his side.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome grasped at the hanyou's arm anxiously trying to avoid any impending conflicts.

“It's true Inuyasha. Lord Sesshoumaru has changed greatly over the centuries. He's practically a teddy bear now!” Shippo laughed as he saw the expression on Sesshoumaru's face change to one of disdain.

“Teddy bear? You'll do well to remember who raised you young kit. I would think you should show me more respect.”

Kagome was certain that the foolish words of the kitsune would have sparked an awful rage from the youkai lord. She was shocked when all he received was a mild tongue lashing. Judging by the camaraderie between the two it seemed that the once cold and ruthless Lord had mellowed immensely through the years. Shippo must have been very truthful when he revealed the effect Rin had had on the taiyoukai.

“Shall we show you to your rooms?” Sesshoumaru asked most graciously. After receiving only slight nods from the group he proceeded in the direction of the living quarters.

Following the youkai, Kagome soon found that she and the others were heading deep inside the west wing of the castle. Much of the interior had been updated to modern standards, but the décor had been carefully selected to match the antique building and heritage of its owner. Making one final turn they were shown to six different rooms, each carefully prepared for the individual who would be occupying it. The three males were situated on one side and the females on the other. Inuyasha was relieved to see that Kagome's room was directly across from his. Sango on the other hand was quick to note the longing in Miroku's face as he eyed the entrance to her door, directly across from his own. Miroku suddenly was sporting a red hand print, mumbling an apology for a comment that had gone unheard by the rest of the group.

“I will let you all settle in. I request your presence for our evening meal. There are matters concerning you all that must be discussed. Shippo will assist you with anything you require.” With a quick nod the Lord turned and receded back down the maze of hallways they had just passed through.

“Wow, that was really strange. I still keep thinking he's going to try lopping off my head!” Kagome giggled nervously down the hallway at the man from her past.

“I told you he's changed. We've got all afternoon, check out your rooms and I'll collect you before the evening meal.” Shippo retreated into his own room to check on its state after his long absence.

Kagome and the others ventured collectively into each room, all astonished by the beauty and comfort that had been provide to them. Each room was spacious and complete with its own living area and master ensuite. Kagome's closets had been filled with her clothes and the bookshelves lined with her photos and albums. She was the first to notice that the others’ rooms, although equally as beautiful, were lacking much of the personal necessities.

“I think perhaps we need to go shopping.” She offered up as she stared into the empty closet in Sango's room.

“I have the perfect solution Kagome! Online shopping!” Misery offered up enthusiastically. “I don't think I would want to take these three to a shopping mall quite yet.”

“Great.” Kagome was equally excited about shopping for new clothes.

“Let's head to my room. I want to change now that I've be reunited with my wardrobe! I'll get Shippo to handle the guys.” Misery stopped at the entrance to Shippo's room. Knocking lightly, she cracked the door and peeked in.

“Shippo?”

“Yeah Missy?” came the reply.

“Will you take Inuyasha and Miroku and find some clothes for them online? I'll be handling the girls in my room.”

“Sure, send them in.” a distant voice called out.

Opening the door fully, Misery directed the two men into the room. Closing the door partially behind them, she turned and entered the room directly across from Shippo's. Waving Kagome and Sango through, she left her own door slightly ajar as well. The front room to her suite was large and provided plenty of room for the three of them to relax. She paused at the desk to turn on the computer.

“Kagome, I'm going to quickly change. Do you want to start looking for some good sites? See if you can round us up some snacks too.” She spoke as she headed through the bedroom door. Smiling back at her comrades she closed the door and proceeded to change out of the baggy clothes she had been wearing since meeting the gang.

Kagome wandered around the room as she waited for the computer to boot up. Noticing a large bar fridge the corner near the desk she investigated. Finding it stocked with refreshments and fruit, she helped herself and offered Sango some. Rejoining the computer, she got to work pulling up some of Tokyo's reputable clothing stores.

“You find anything good?” Misery's voice filtered through the opened bedroom door.

“Not yet!” Kagome turned when she heard Misery returning.

The vision they saw next left the girls speechless. Gone was the tired girl of grunge, replaced by a rebellious looking young woman. Tall and slender, she had changed into a pair of tight black pants and form fitting white halter top. Her hair hung to the middle of her back, deep red in color. While Shippo's hair was that of a rusty red, Misery's was the color of the sunset, warm and rich in its hue. Her gray eyes popped against the background of red.

“Wow! You sure clean up well!” Kagome giggled when she noticed she was staring.

“I'm just glad I had a chance to clean up.” She smiled back. “Alright, I've got my credit card, let's spend some money!”

“Oh no, we couldn't spend your money. I have some from mother's insurance policy. Sango and I can use it.” Kagome looked horrified at the thought of spending someone else's money on clothes.

“Nonsense, you keep that money for yourself. I have plenty Kagome, I've been working for top notch research companies for years. Plus, I've been adding to my money pile for well over a century. Trust me, what we spend today will be a drop in the bucket.” Misery noticed that Kagome still looked uneasy. “Besides, you probably don't even have a credit card. You'll have plenty of time to pay me back when I start my research here. Your spiritual powers might come in handy!”

“Only if I can pay you back.” Kagome agreed.

“I as well will pay you back.” Sango added.

“Fine, fine. Now, let's shop!”

The girls spent the next half hour ringing up purchases from various retailers in Tokyo. Lost in their merriment they barely noticed the ruckus that was developing across the hall. Suddenly they heard a crash followed by voices coming from the kitsune's room.

“Like hell I'm gonna wear that! No god damn way!” Inuyasha's distressed voice came through their open door.

“But Inuyasha you can't wear your fire rat all the time. Besides, Kagome would love you in this.” Shippo pleaded with the angered hanyou.

A short silence followed before the muttering of the irate hanyou could be heard.

“You think so?” he asked

“Of course! She’ll love them!” One could almost hear the smile in the youkai voice.

Back in the girls room, Kagome was blushing profusely, embarrassed by the hanyou's outburst. The two other girls couldn't help laugh at the girl, before turning their attention back to the screen before them. Kagome's blush would not lessen as they scrolled through images of sun dresses.

“Oh! I almost forgot! The beach!” Misery piped up.

“Beach?” The two girls looked hopefully at the red head.

“Shippo said that part of the property lines the sea, so there is a private beach here. I think he also mentioned hot springs too. At any rate, we'll need bathing suits!”

“I'm loving this place more and more!” Kagome giggled before locating a retailer of swim wear.

Sango's face dropped when the images began popping up on the screen. Most of the women were barely clad in anything. How was she supposed to wear something like that? It wouldn't be bad if it was just the girls, but she assumed that it was going to be the guys as well attending such outings. Her thoughts were reinforced when Misery called out to remind Shippo to purchase something for the guys as well. She watched in horror as Misery picked out a black two piece that would do little to hide her body. Kagome followed suit with a slightly less revealing two piece in green. Turning in her direction, both girls stared expectantly at Sango, waiting for her choice.

“I can't wear anything like that.” She whispered in a hushed tone, thoroughly embarrassed by the thought.

“Sango, of course you can!” Kagome chimed in. “It's just us! I'm sure Miroku would be in heaven if you came prancing out in one of these!”

“Kagome!” Sango covered her face with her hands mortified at the thought of Miroku seeing her so scantily clad. “I couldn't”

“Sango,” Kagome began much gentler. “You’re beautiful, why hide it?”

“I'm not used to your time Kagome. I've only been in that state of undress around you.” Sango chanced another look at the flawless bodies on the screen.

“It's because of your scar right?” Kagome asked, reassuring the taijiya with a light squeeze of the arm.

Slightly ashamed, Sango looked down and nodded her head slightly.

“Sango, none of us care about that, least of all Miroku. We love you for who you are. Your scar is a badge of courage. It's a reminder of your strength in the face of adversity. It's nothing to be ashamed about. Besides, I still think Miroku would love to see you in this. If you’re not comfortable we can find different styles.” Kagome's eyes softened as she looked at the slightly frightened girl before her.

Kagome was right in her assessment. Sango didn't know why the scar bothered her so much. She knew that Miroku wouldn't care, the more she thought about it the more she realized that none of them would be bothered by it. Stepping out of her comfort zone she left past traditions behind when she pointed at the red halter top two piece.

“What do you think he'll have to say about that one.” Sango asked shyly.

Misery began laughing wholeheartedly. “I doubt he'll be able to say anything at all when he sees you it that!”

“Good, I'll take it!”

X-X-X-X-X

Across the hall, Shippo was having many problems of his own. Miroku was being the easiest to please, but the knot head beside him refused to pick anything out. Sighing he brought up another site that specialized in leather and rock based apparel. He pointed out a few pieces to the hanyou beside him.

“Feh, Whatever.” Inuyasha was sick of trying to pick out modern clothing.

“Fine, I'll just order you what I think you'll like.” Shippo made quick work of order from a few different sites.

Successfully ordering the two men a good selection of pants and shirts, he made his way onto another site that specialized in personal effects. Clicking on the first icon he brought up his desired page. Pointing out the displays, he turned his head to ask them his tell all question.

“Boxers or briefs boys?” He grinned mischievously.

Both Miroku and Inuyasha fell out of their chairs landing with a crash on the floor below. They had been surprised at the images of the scantily clad men came into view. Miroku just sat there stunned, shaking his head back and forth.

“Like hell I'm gonna wear that! No god damn way!” Inuyasha's distressed voice echoed out the open door.

“But Inuyasha you can't wear the same thing all the time. Besides, Kagome would love you in this.” He pointed out an outfit he had printed off. Shippo pleaded with the angered hanyou before adding quietly. “These go under your clothes, you don't wear them by themselves. Trust me you'll need something under some of those leather pants I got you.”

“Feh, why can’t I just wear my own damned fundoshi?” he grumbled quietly.

Inuyasha took another look at the screen before him. An image of Kagome's smiling face flashed in his mind. He needed a little more reassurance that the clothing the damn kistune was picking was going to be worth all this trouble.

“You think so?” He asked before whispering, “Kagome's gonna like what you're putting me in right?”

“Of course! She’s going to love them!” One could almost hear the smile in the youkai voice.

“Whatever.” Inuyasha went back to lounging on the couch, only half watching what was on the screen. If it made her happy, he'd wear damn near anything.