InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ The Key ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
The Key

Kagome smiled as the monk and taijiya walked from her room hand in hand. She was just as surprised as Sango when he placed a chaste kiss to her lips before entering his own room. Kagome sent the other girl a wicked grin, which was acknowledged by a deep blush and smile before Sango took refuge in her own room. Turning and shutting her own door the miko stole a quick glance at her hanyou before stating her intentions for a quick bath.

Disappearing into the bathroom, she was thankful once more for modern day miracles. The steam from the hot water, clouded the mirror and hung heavily in the air as she prepared herself for the welcoming retreat. Slipping slowly into the almost scalding water, she let the tension of the past few days seep out of her. Sighing she lay back, resting her head on a small bath pillow. What a day she had had.

So much had changed in the matter of mere hours. Waking up, she had found herself mated to her best friend and love. Then she had released Midoriko. The implications of the importance of the day bounced rapidly through her head. Meeting Midoriko had been a wonderful experience, but in truth it paled to the realization Inuyasha had had that morning. She was suddenly ecstatic as she suppressed a gleeful squeal and sunk far enough into the water to cover her mouth. As close as she was to Inuyasha, she wasn't sure she wanted him barging in if he heard her scream. She giggled again under the water. She was basically now a happily married woman. Not exactly the wedding she had been dreaming of, but definitely the man.

Sorrow suddenly filled her chest, constricting painfully as images of her smiling mother and brother flitted past her eyes. Her wedding. A day that she thought would be full of excitement and a bonding experience for her mother and herself. Quickly she wiped away a tear that had fallen in solemn realization. Never would she experience that soft look in her mother's eyes when she was fully dressed in her wedding attire. Momma had wanted to see both a traditional ceremony and a western wedding. They had talked it over one night underneath the Goshinboku, giddy after her cousin's ceremony. Kagome smiled lightly remembering how her mother had teased her mercilessly about how Inuyasha would look in a tux.

Her little brother had been pestering her for three years about her hanyou. When he caught them high in the branches of the Goshinboku, he would run laughing as he taunted them with the childish sing song rhyme. “Kagome and Inuyasha, sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G”. She cringed again as more tears fell in comprehension that neither her ji-chan or Souta would be there to walk her down the aisle. The concept of her mating now seemed bittersweet. She had finally gotten what she had dreamed about for years, but her inability to share it with her family made her heart ache.

Sighing again she stretched out once more, pulling her head out of the water. The pain in her chest had dulled to a numbing reminder of her fate. The scenario was oddly reminiscent of her first travel through the well. A duty thrust into her hands without her prior consent, but one that could not be ignored. A villain with unrealistic and deranged goals, hell bent on destroying lives to reach his own despicable objectives. New and old friends with troubled pasts and unlikely allies. They had managed to succeed once before, but in truth, she was tired. When would she get to be normal? All she really wanted out of life was a man to love her and a family to raise. Why had she been born into a position of such great responsibility? Would she be strong enough to take down this new and greater threat?

Her eyes looked searchingly at the ceiling as if praying her solution could be found there. Should she fail... she couldn't think of the possibility. No! She wouldn't think of failure. There was a reason she had been chosen. She could not skirt around her duty. Not allowing her family's loss and suffering to be in vain, she concentrated all her doubts and fears to fuel her desire to succeed. Knowing what she did, having seen what she had and above all experiencing everything she had in the past few years she vowed to win. The lives of so many innocents were placed on the her shoulders. Failure in herself meant failure to them. Succeed she must.

“Breath! Just Breath! Close off all doubts. Branch out behind the pain. Closure has come.” She whispered her broken statements of encouragement to herself. “The threat is real. Slip away to clear your mind.”

With those final words she drifted off into deep meditation to clear her thoughts and become once again focused on her mission.

X-X-X-X-X

Inuyasha had been troubled throughout the day. Once Kagome had left him to prepare for the ceremony he had the strangest feeling wash over him. A voice had crept into his mind, one he hadn't heard since his youkai controlled him after his sword had been broken. It had muttered off and on to him all day only quieting once Kagome was back with him. For the most part he had chose to ignore the background noise, afraid of the implications of talking to himself. But again the presence was back, taunting him.

'She's alone in there. My mate.'

“I'm not listening!” He grumbled to himself, suddenly ashamed at talking to himself. He looked towards the bathroom door, straining to hear any indication that Kagome had been listening. He caught nothing more then the odd splash of water.

'The water likely is cascading down her lithesome body.'

“Watch it buddy!” Inuyasha growled at the presence.

'Trickling down the nape of her slender neck,'

“I'm warning you!” The words barely audible over his menacing growl.

'Down the valley between her ...,'

Inuyasha could hardly contain himself, he was furious at the voice in his head but strangely he was having a harder time ignoring it. Visions of the beauty in the tub cascaded through his mind, making a certain part of his body throb painfully. He stood and paced the room, trying his best to curtail the arousal he was experiencing.

'Ha ha, so you are not immune to her.' The voice laughed at him.

“Feh!” He muttered as the heat rushed to his face.

'Mate her already.'

“She's not ready.” Inuyasha rolled his eyes, disgusted at having this conversation with his youkai.

'You need to mate her before I go crazy.'

“You think you're going crazy, I've had to watch her prancing around in those revealing 'clothes' for three years.” He groaned at the pressure returned to his groin.

'She's your mate, it's your right to take her'

“What am I, some kind of animal?”

'I am!' A wicked and implying laugh followed.

“What if I, or should I say you, hurt her?”

'She is our mate! We could not hurt her. We must protect her always and love her '

“Keh! I remember what you made me do before we realized that my fang suppressed you!” Inuyasha grumbled before roughly throwing himself onto the couch. Thinking painfully about the bandits he had slaughtered without mercy.

'That's your clue right there stupid. Your little fang isn't working on me anymore!'

“Hey! Who are you calling stupid? You are me remember. Whose the stupid one now!” He grinned at the silence that followed.

'I'm no threat to the girl. I chose her as my mate.'

“YOU chose her!” Inuyasha gritted his teeth in aggravation. This conversation was becoming ridiculous.

'Great minds think alike.' The voice was hesitant at this, mostly trying to win back the hanyou's favor.

“Keh.”

The conversation ended when Kagome emerged from the bathroom, towel around her head and conservatively covered from head to toe in flannel pajamas. She gave him an odd look as she approached.

“Are you alright Inuyasha? I thought I heard voices.” She glanced around the room looking for company.

“Must have been the T.V.” He watched her with hooded eyes as she approached. The heat in his body had failed to dispel at all.

When she sat down beside him and leaned into him, he felt a surge of energy. All senses were firing on full cylinders when she rested her hand and the remote on his thigh. Unable to take it any longer, her swooped her up into his arms and headed straight for the bedroom. He tossed her lightly onto the bed causing her to squeal at the sudden drop. The motion caused the towel to give way and her wet hair came tumbling down. Inuyasha smirked devilishly as her eyes widened in surprise. Slowly he crawled across the bed, predatory eyes locking with hers. He let out a slight growl when Kagome scurried away to the top of the bed. Pouncing on her, her secured her to the bed with the weight of his body. Eyes twinkling in anticipation he kissed her with all the passion that had been building inside of him.

Her sigh and soft moan only served to fuel his interest in her. Tracing a clawed hand down her arm he found her fingers and quickly entwined his own with hers. His strained breaths made him roll off her slightly to allow her lungs to fill with much needed air. Releasing her hand, her fingers soon entangled themselves in his silvery locks. He was soon panting when her nimble fingers had began rubbing circular patterns on his sensitive ears. Trailing his hand down her side, he found the base of her top and did not hesitate to fold his hand under to find the soft skin of her stomach. She tensed slightly at the contact of flesh on flesh, but relaxed when his mouth found hers for another sizzling kiss. His clawed fingers crawled slowly up under the shirt, settling over the soft curves covered in delicate lace. She froze. Reluctantly, he looked up from nuzzling her neck with light kisses. Her eyes were wide with fear and shock. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He kicked himself for moving so fast. Grumbling he rolled off her and headed to the door.

“Inuyasha?” She called out to him. Her voice laced with hurt, rejection, and a tiny bit of relief.

“Sorry Kags, I don't know what came over me.” He refused to turn around, certain that the sight of her would only make him pounce again.

“Where are you going?” Her concern was evident.

“For a cold shower.” Inuyasha cringed at how hard his voice sounded, but he was on a mission. He headed for the bathroom with hurried strides. The sooner he rid himself from this burning pain the better.

'You dog! Whose the animal now! I'm all heated up too. ' The voice smirked at him.

“Fuck off!” He growled before slamming the door, stripping and leaping into the welcoming relief of cold water.

Kagome was left on the bed, shocked at what had transpired. She heard him curse before the door slammed causing her to jump. What the hell was that all about? What had come over her normally shy hanyou? Looking down at her clothes rumpled appearance, she blushed, remembering what had just happened. A small smile crept to her face when she placed a finger to her lips. This new change was in him was going to be something to get used to. A improvement that she was looking forward to discovering with him, now that the initial shock of it had worn off.


X-X-X-X-X

Misery had awaken at night to an empty room. She could feel his presence linger in the air, signaling that the great taiyoukai had left her not long before. Her brows furrowed in frustrated realization that she had been vulnerable in front of the youkai once again. Sighing she lifted the covers off her and dragged herself out of bed. Deciding that attempting to sleep more was a futile prospect, she prepared for another long night working. Changing into a pair of loose camo pants and tank top, she shrugged her lab coat over her shoulders and made her way quietly down the corridor to the welcoming confines of her research lab.

Fully absorbed in her work, she was surprised when the door opened at three in the morning. The familiar sight of red hair and a fluffy tail instantly calmed her already frazzled nerves.

“Shippo, where have you been? I've been through hell and back and you weren't even around.” The hurt poured from her as she quietly reprimanded her friend.

Shippo's heart constricted when he heard her voice. It was unnervingly calm and distant. She should have been screaming at him by now and pounding on him with her fists. When he saw her cold gray eyes, he felt the final nail being hammered into his coffin. It couldn't be. He hadn't seen those eyes for centuries. Another glance only made him sigh with despair. They were back, it wasn't a trick of the lighting. Those eyes met his own decades before when he found her in that pile of hay. Broken in mind and body she had called out to him, unable to even use her own voice. She begged him not to hurt her with those dull, lifeless eyes.

He was angry for leaving before she had woke after Cernonnus' attack, but he couldn't give up the opportunity that had presented itself. He had noticed an oni contractor following them to the gates of the estate. After dropping everyone off, he had followed the trail of the contractor straight to its evil headquarters. Spending the day gathering intel, he had reluctantly left his friend in the hands of the taiyoukai. Seeing her now though, he wished he had kicked the Lord's possessive ass so that he could have comforted her. Sesshoumaru meant well and Shippo respected his claim on Misery, but no one knew his friend like he did. He knew what she had been put through. He was well acquainted with her night terrors and fears. Cursing himself he drew her into a fierce hug.

“I'm so sorry. I never should have left you.” He held her tightly, burying his nose into her hair.

“It's alright Shippo, I'm fine.” She muttered back.

Not releasing her arms, he pushed her back so he could see her face. Infuriated by her cool demeanor he scowled at her.

“Like hell you are Missy. Your as broken as the day I met you.” He growled.

“Not broken, just concentrating my energies elsewhere.” She mused, a slight flash a silver rage danced across her eyes before they reclaimed their darkened existence.

Shippo didn't mis the momentary burst of life in her eyes.

“What happened Miss? What did that bastard make you see?” He sat in her chair before pulling her in his lap.

She rested her head on his shoulder, taking comfort in the familiar arms that wrapped around her.

“That night. He replayed that night.”

“Asshole! I knew it. I knew that prick would torture you again. One time wasn't enough for him. Bastard gets his jollies from making you suffer.” He growled.

“It didn't work Shippo.” She whispered.

“Looks like it did to me. Where's my feisty, rebellious, hard ass Misery? He stole you away again after it took me so long to bring you back.” The anguish in his voice vibrated through the room.

“My mother came to me in a vision after I passed out in Sesshoumaru's arms. That's what got to me.”

“What!” Shippo again pushed her away from him slightly, just enough to see her eyes.

“She gave me closure over her death.” She whispered again dropping her eyes from his intense gaze. She suddenly found her hands to be very interesting.

“Then why the eyes Miss?”

“I'm not supposed to be all happy and lively Ship. I have a duty and responsibility and I finally realize this. I need to block out everything so I can concentrate on learning my fraternal abilities. Mother said that I have neglected my heritage too long.”

“But, you hate the fact that your part oni. Your mother knew that in life and she encouraged you to be normal.” Shippo was confused at the sudden change in her mother's wishes.

“Hmm, she did. A flaw she says she now regrets. My grandfather is one of the four powerful princes of hell. My father a fallen angel who vanished into thin air, not even a feather left from his beautiful wings to leave any indication where he went. I am a key to the past that is sought by akuma for their own wicked plans.” Misery continued.

“Key? What the hell are you taking about?” He bore intense eyes into her hidden face, willing her to give him some answers.

“You've seen them Shippo. That one time before you slipped into unconsciousness, you know what I am. I've denied the fact all my life. His brand has been left on me.”

Seen them? He thought to himself, racking his brain for a memory that would connect the puzzle pieces together. Then it hit him. A memory of Misery, glowing and darkened at the same time as she stood over him, her outline blocking the bright sun behind her. Her form wasn't quite right, something lingered at both of her sides. Then, a silver feather floated across his sight, like the cherry blossoms in his native Japan. Blackness had engulfed him before he had figured it out.

“The silver feather?” He mumbled.

“I am my father's daughter.” She still refused to give him an outright explanation.

“Wings! You sprouted wings that day!” Shippo shouted when the realization dawned on him. The proof of her identity he had seen that day, an identity that she had tried to deny for so long.

“I wasn't a born fighter Shippo. A trying life and my struggle to survive taught me to wield my father's two short blades with deadly accuracy. Mother reminded me of what I had forgotten about my past prior to that event. I had a gentle nature before her death. I was born into this world as a creator. Granted the gift to give life to flowers and trees, all of nature for that matter. She was teaching me how to use nature to heal before Cernonnus betrayed me. I forgot everything before that awful night until she visited me.”

“You always had a green thumb didn't you.” He smiled at her before tucking her back under his chin.

“Yeah, that's the one thing I couldn't suppress. That need to create. To fix and restore the earth after it was so carelessly destroyed. After meeting you, I poured everything into finding ways to stay alive. New weapons to fend off the evil that threatened me. I thought they wanted to kill me was because I was hanyou but it makes sense now.” She was grateful for the strength his embrace was giving her. He was the only person she could tell this to. Once it was off her chest she knew that she could move on.

“What about the key? What did your mother mean by that?” He wanted to change the topic, not willing to relive all the horror that they had seen. All the battles they had barely made out of alive as they tried to hone their skills as warriors. Two gentle souls thrust into the unforgiving battlegrounds of survival.
“Some fallen angels encouraged and promoted the lust and greed of humanity. Cernonnus became one of these and his flaws soon flourished, corrupting his own soul. Grandfather and the three other princes sealed off their realm in an attempt to save humanity from the defective cravings of select fallen ones. A separate dimension now holds that realm invisible to all human eyes except one. Oni like Cernonnus desire to open the gates and control the legions. Because of my fraternal blood ties, I am the only one who has the ability to open the gate.”

“Kami. Should the gates open...”

“All hell breaks loose. Pardon the pun.” She spoke dryly.

“The oni contractors how do they fit in?”
“Corrupted fallen angels were left in this realm for fear of tainting the weaker legions.” She sighed before sitting up on his lap.

“Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha, and Kagome need to know this.” He looked grimly at her.

Misery nodded, knowing that he would relay the information to the others. She did not have it in her to go over the explanation again. She removed herself from her kitsune's lap intending to get back to work on her project. Beautiful leather suits with intricate embroidery were laid out on two tables.

“I'll let you get back to your project, Miss. You'll be okay?” He too prepared to leave her to the solace of her work.

“I'll told you I'm fine.” The burden of her vision had been lifted off her shoulders. She felt immensely better.

Shippo noticed the slight change in her eyes. He would not push matters further despite his own curiosity and desire to pull her suffering from her. Reveling in the odd glint of silver in her cold gray orbs, he only hoped that Sesshoumaru could finish the job of healing his friend. She was dear to him in a similar way that Kagome was. Kagome acted as his mother and Misery had been his companion during his friends' absence. The two women meant the world to him. He would not hesitate to lay down his life to ensure their success though he prayed it would not come to that. He left her toiling over the suits that he knew were designed especially for his friends, to seek out the Lord. He had much to tell him on his findings of the oni headquarters and Misery's vision. Finally they had secured the upper hand in the fight. Things were maybe starting to look up for them in this battle.