InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Release ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Release

Sesshoumaru padded lightly back down to Misery's room. He had left an hour before to take care of some urgent business. He hadn't expected the phone call to last as long as it had but the foreign investors had been in a crisis and the stake of a large portion of his enterprise was in jeopardy. The conversation had solved all major issues and business was again running smoothly. Stopping at her door he knocked with formality before letting himself in. Instantly he noticed her lack of presence in the room and panicked. Flying from the room, he caught the faint trail of her scent leading down an opposing hallway from the one he had just traveled.

Her scent was easy to follow through the maze of hallways in the ancient manor. He finally came upon one of the back entrances that led into the finely sculpted gardens. Quietly entering the garden, he wandered through the walkways finally coming to a stop near a large cherry tree. Misery was sitting wrapped in a blanket, leaning against the large trunk. She stared absently into the distant vegetation.

Carefully he shortened the distance between them not wishing to frighten her. Sensing his presence, she turned to stare at him warily. Stopping before her he waited a moment before speaking.

“May I?” He gestured to the grass beside her.

A simple nod was all he received before she turned her attention back to the scenery around her. Birds chirped cheerfully above them as the morning sun bathed the area in radiant warmth. Butterflies circled the tops of the flowers and danced above the babbling brook. It was no wonder she had sought solace in the area. Beauty abounded its every nook and cranny calming its visitors in a healing display of blues, purples and whites.

“It's funny. We spend our whole lives fighting... destroying... and mother nature continues to renew herself with each one of our onslaughts. Remarkable thing... this earth.” Her voice was haunting against the soft breeze.

“Misery...” He began, only to find himself at loss for any words.

“That's the last time. This morning I have made my final decision.”

He waited for her response, anguish filling his heart. This once noble creature had been ruined by the cynical and diabolical desires of a corrupted soul. He was certain that she was going to run again as Shippo had suggested.

“Cernonnus used the same talisman to bound my body as he did with my mother. He bound her powers so that she would not be able to fight against the human raiding party that stormed our village so many years ago. He must have thought that the same would be effective on me. I proved him wrong and began to break the spell. That's when he tried taking control of my mind.”

Sesshoumaru was concerned for the girl. He was filling with a burning rage to slaughter the beast that had done this. Reaching out he grasped her hand, needing to heal her in some small way. He was a little surprised when she did not pull away, but rather held on for dear life.

“He reopened memories I had locked away deep in my mind, something I had need to do to survive before. Cernonnus was trying to break me by sending me into a pit of despair once more.”

“Misery.”

“He failed though.”

Her sudden soft smile was the last thing he had expected. She turned back to gaze at the flowers. Reaching out towards a small, frail blossom she moved her hand over top and instantly the flower began to grow. A strong thriving plant was left when she finished. Her smile brightened even more at this.

“Over the years I have come to learn an important lesson from developing my powers. It is easy to destroy and so much harder to create. The earth has been dealt so many devastating blows, but every time she rises from the ashes in an outright refusal to die.”

Sesshoumaru understood all to well the meaning in her words. Whatever Cernonnus had been trying to accomplish, it had not gone as planned. Judging by her change in demeanor and haunting looks the beast had broken her fiery attitude but he had fueled her desire to conquer her adversities. Misery was done running. The calm that had settled over her was eerie, a warning perhaps of the storm was about to come. He was frozen when those stormy gray eyes turned to lock with his own.

“The winds of change have spoken today telling me a force of reckoning is being formed.” She paused a moment to gather her thoughts. “I believe that Kagome is the key to his undoing. Tonight we release Midoriko and set the final piece into play.”

Sesshoumaru stood beside Misery, reaching down he offered her his hand. A warm feeling flooded through him when her small hand found his and she allowed him to pull her up. He refused to release her hand as he led them back inside the manor. Stealing a quick glance down, he smiled to himself at the light blush that had formed on her cheeks. Perhaps Inuyasha was correct after all. Having someone to protect wasn't feeling that bad at all.


X-X-X-X-X

“Oh wow, I feel drained!” Kagome yawned as she stretched.

She stumbled out of the bed to open the curtains, turning she found the room was looking a little worse for wear. Shattered glass littered the floor from the lamps and lights that had exploded the night before. Carefully she made her way around the bed towards her closet. Glancing at the still sleeping hanyou, she grabbed some clean clothes and headed for the shower.

Clean and refreshed, she came back into the bedroom with a broom and dust pan. Humming slightly as she swept; she cleaned the mess away under the watchful eyes of the now waking male.

“Need help?” Inuyasha asked as he continued to lounge in the comfort of her bed.

“Nope! I'm almost finished.” Kagome smiled as she swept the last bit of glass into the pan and emptied it all into the garbage.

Looking up, she was shocked by what she saw.

“Inuyasha...” Her eyes widened with realization.

“Oi wench, spit it out!” He growled slightly irritable in his tired state.

“Your face! The markings... they're still there!”

“What!” He stood and rushed to the mirror. His youkai had left a permanent impression on his face. The dark strips still marred his cheekbones, making him appear more like his older brother. Apparently the ritual they had completed last night was more than just a simple bonding spell.

“Kagome, come here a second.”

Kagome was quick to reach him, worried that his youkai was taking control. She was somewhat surprised when he drew her close and inhaled deeply. She shivered at the sensation his sharp intake of breath left on her.

“What are you doing?” She asked, puzzled by his strange behaviour.

“You smell like me.” He stated simply, refusing to let her go.

“Well of course I do. You spent the whole night here. I smell like you every time you spend the night.” She laughed nervously.

“No Kagome. You SMELL like me.” His intense gaze bore into hers.

“You mean... but we didn't even... I mean... Holy Crap!” She stuttered before pulling away and sinking into the corner of the bed. Just what had they done the night before?

“Kagome?” His soft voice was full of concern as he stared down at her. He now understood what his brother had been trying to tell him. The ritual was more of a mating ceremony than anything. Unknowingly they had become mates. His mind raced with the implications of the matter. What did Kagome think? Would she reject him now? Did she think that he had tricked her? Why hadn't he realized the full implications of the ritual?

“Kagome?” He asked louder, worried at her lack of a reply.

She patted the bed beside her, but continued staring in shock at the floor. Tentatively he took a seat beside her. Lost for words, he settled an arm around her shoulder in a small attempt to comfort the both of them.

“What does this all mean?” She finally asked quietly.

“We're mated.” He put it simply.

“I realize that stupid!” She shot him a dirty look. “What I meant was, why did your youkai markings remain? What else changed when we...”

“I feel a little different now. I was tired at first, but now I feel much more alert. It's like my senses are all heightened.” He swiveled his ears, amazed at the abilities to pick up more than he usually could.

“I feel the same as ever.” Kagome had also felt tired that morning, but now she was feeling no different than any other day. She reached up suddenly to feel the top of his head. Finding the furry appendage she rubbed it in a soothing motion.

“Thank Kami” She whispered.

“Uh, Kagome?”

“Just checking! I suddenly couldn't remember if I had seen them this morning or not. It would have been a shame if your ears turned full youkai.”

Inuyasha blushed at her bold adoration for his ears. It felt so good for her to rub them. Sighing he closed his eyes and leaned his head for more attention. He heard Kagome giggle at his obvious love for ear rubs but he didn't care. No one was there to judge him. He could be himself around her and not worry about anything at all. Content. That's how she made him feel. He thought himself blessed by the kami for having been tied to such a wonderful creature.

“Inuyasha, try drawing Tetsusaiga. I wonder if it will repel you know.” She questioned, wondering more about his change.

“Keh!” He unsheathed the fang in one quick movement, noting as it accepted him totally.

Kagome's look of puzzlement only grew with his ability to wield the weapon. Just what was Inuyasha now? Hanyou or youkai? Nothing was making sense. The markings were evidence that the youkai within had gained more control, but it appeared that he was not the mindless beast that usually accompanied the change. He was still the same Inuyasha he always was.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sharp knock on the door. Inuyasha reached the door first, hand still clutching the large sword. Sesshoumaru stood on the other side, face impassive as always.

“Inuyasha.” He nodded curtly, eyes briefly lingering on the markings before he turned his attention to Kagome.

“I have come to inform you that tonight you will summon Midoriko. Meet me in the gardens promptly at seven.” Without a further word he retreated silently down the corridor.

“Tonight?” Kagome stared after the youkai. “Does that mean Misery is awake?”

“Likely, Sesshoumaru doesn't seem as tense as before.” Inuyasha gruffly shut the door before taking up a comfortable position on the couch.

“Midoriko. I wonder what is in store for us later. Do you think she'll know anything about Cernonnus?” Kagome was so preoccupied with her thoughts, she almost ran into the short coffee table, narrowly missing it as she made her way to sit by the hanyou.

“Feh! Midoriko would have been sealed in that damn jewel long before he was puked out into this world. From the sounds of it she's lucky to have never been 'graced' with that bastard's presence.” He threw an arm around her shoulders growing more comfortable with the intimate aspect to their newfound relationship. He smiled slightly when she unconsciously leaned into him.

“Inuyasha, I'm worried.”

“About tonight?”

“Kinda. But it's Cernonnus that scares me.” She turned slightly to stare into his eyes. Her brows were furrowed with worry. “We barely defeated Naraku. This bad guy is someone we have never experienced fighting and he's easily more powerful than Naraku. More powerful and more sinister. Can we beat him?”

Inuyasha wanted to ease her worry, to reassure her that everything would be alright. The truth of the matter though was he didn't have the answer. Everything about the new environment left too many uncertainties. The ballooned human population, underground race of youkai and oni, the need to be discreet. All these elements led him to wonder the exact same question. They had yet to have a direct battle with the evil creature and he had already bested them once. Cernonnus truly was on a completely different level than Naraku. More powerful, more cunning and more connected. He decided to answer her the only way he could.

“I don't know Kagome. I don't know.”


X-X-X-X-X

Gathering in the gardens, the now purified Kagome surveyed her surroundings. She had spent the afternoon alone, cleansing her body and mind in preparation for the evening. Dressed in traditional miko robes she entered the enclosed garden peaceful and calm. Meditation had been an effective method of easing the unsettling feeling she had had all day. Refreshed and ready to take on any challenge, she bounced down the few steps to join the others.

Miroku was waiting for her to assist in purifying the area and erecting barriers. Sango, Kirara and Inuyasha kept a vigil on the surrounding sky and forest ensuring that they would have no unwanted guests. Kagome noted a huge pentagram in the middle of the garden, proof that Misery had likely spent the afternoon preparing the area. Kagome was confident in what they were going to accomplish for she and the other girl had spent weeks going over the summoning ritual and had came up with a well designed joint ritual. Kagome would be using an ancient prayer that Miroku had instructed her on. Combining her own ritual and Misery's was the only way they would have enough power to break Midoriko free from the jewel.

The evening wore on, two hours passing as the monk and miko secured and purified the area. The jewel shone a brilliant pink when Sesshoumaru lit the torches around the circle. Misery emerged from the building in a ancient white dress. Fitted at the top and tightened with a strung bodice, the gown hung loosely from the hips down. Intricately embroidered with silver thread with sleeves that dipped to the floor, it appeared to be a period piece from the European middle ages. Kagome noticed more than the gown though, she focused on the stormy gray eyes that were void of their former mischief.. She smiled to Misery as she reached out and accepted the hand that was given to her.

Together they entered the circle and with one knowing glance to one another, they began to simultaneously chant. Kagome in the language known to the group while Misery's words went unknown as she used the Gaelic language. Pink orbs flared up around Kagome as her reiki intensified, creating a brilliant show for all who witnessed. Inuyasha was impressed at the strength Kagome now possessed. She hadn't changed physically like he had during their bonding, but it was apparent now that her reiki had strengthened exponentially.

The group watched as the two girls chanted, creating a poignant melody. The air around them suddenly changed as the chanting increased. Wind generated seemingly out of nowhere, circling the girls and whipping their hair feverishly around them. The flames from the torches flared to new heights giving the pair an ethereal radiance. Misery's eyes glowed brilliant silver as she appealed to the earth elements to lend their strength. Kagome was now emitting a pink glow as her reiki reached unprecedented levels. Inuyasha and the others stared transfixed by the enchanting couple as the jewel began to spark and crackle under their administrations. Suddenly a white globe burst forth, flying high in the sky.

“Now!” Shouted Kagome over the howling of the wind and crackling of the jewel.

The girls chanting changed again and the protests of the jewel took on an eerie sound as the two focused on sealing it once more. The group held their breaths, praying that the two could close the portal they opened before anything else broke loose. Relief washed through them when the wind suddenly vanished and the torches burned down. The girls fell to their knees in exhaustion, warily eying the jewel. Finally, Kagome stood and walked to the jewel. She reached out and touched the now slightly tainted jewel. It flared pink with her purifying touch. She removed the jewel from the stand and returned it to its confinement chamber.

Finishing her task, Kagome turned back to the group. She smiled weakly at them before swaying. Instantly she found herself swept up into the strong arms of her mate. Carefully he carried her to the edge of the circle and sat with her beneath a large tree. Kagome smiled up at him before turning her attention back to the others. She noticed a weak Misery carefully de-constructing the pentagram, an angry Sesshoumaru watching over her. Apparently the girl had again refused the youkai's assistance.

It was then that she felt it. A presence approaching them from the trees. Her skin prickled in anticipation, knowing full well who it was. An airy form emerged from the vegetation, barely visible in the light cast from the flames. The spirit of Midoriko bowed to them before fading into the air around them. They had succeeded. She was surprised when the translucent form reappeared beside her, half scaring her.

“Kagome. I thank you and the others for freeing me. I am forever grateful to you.”

“Midoriko! You're able to speak and retain a form? We thought you wouldn't have the strength.” Kagome gasped in awe at the see through woman.

“It seems child that my abilities were limited inside the jewel. The kami visited me while I rested after transporting the warriors through the well. They knew that you would find a way to safely confine the jewel. My purpose while in the Shikon no Tama was to purify the energies that had been absorbed. That constant drain on me made it impossible for me to generate a solid form. Now though, I will be able to exist in this realm and interact with you as much as I like.” Midoriko spoke softly, but her from was beginning to fade again. “However, I fear I do need time to regain my strength after this. I will see you soon protector.”

They all stood in silence as the spirit disappeared into the night air. A warm calm settling over them in her presence, and they all missed it when she vanished. Kagome looked thoughtfully at the others, gauging their reactions to the entity.

“You all saw her right?” She asked, still in awe at what she had experienced.

A joint nodding of heads was her only response. She grimaced then, noticing Misery was still trying in earnest to finish her task. She nudged Inuyasha to get his attention, wanting him to carry her over there. He was about to lift her when Misery suddenly collapsed. Sesshoumaru was quick to catch the girl, scowling deeply as he whisked her into the manor.

“She's changed Inuyasha. Despite what she thinks, Cernonnus broke her. He may have made her more determined but she is so guarded now. Did you see her eyes?” She asked quietly.

“Yeah. They're lifeless.” He responded.

Kagome nodded in agreement. She was deeply troubled by the girl's haunting expression. Gone was the fiery, stubborn trouble maker. Replaced by a darker, withdrawn version. Misery reminded Kagome a bit of Kohoku. Alive, but burdened by a dark past that had caused him to block out everything in favour of retreating into the corners of his mind. They had lost the boy, she only hoped that they wouldn't loose another.

X-X-X-X-X

“So Inuyasha, practicing with Tetsusaiga last night?” Miroku snickered once they were all comfortably seated in Kagome's room.

“What?” Inuyasha was confused by the monk's question.

“There was an awful lot of energy coming out of this room last night. Not to mention that you are still sporting some youkai markings.”

“How would you know monk, unless you were next door as well!” Inuyasha smirked as his words impacted Miroku.

The sudden light red stain on the taijiya's face was evidence enough. Miroku pulled the girl in close and gave the hanyou a devilish grin before adding a tell all wink. Kagome giggled slightly at the pair as she imagined what they had gotten up to the night prior.

“Feh! I'm surprised your nose isn't broke today monk.” He grinned back.

“Kagome, you are certainly stronger today.” Sango recovered and prompted the miko for an explanation.

“We... bonded last night.” Kagome began. She continued to explain what had happened last night to the other two.

“That would explain your sudden increase in powers Kagome.” Miroku smiled at the miko still wrapped protectively in the hanyou's embrace.

“I was surprised myself. I never expected my reiki to have absorbed so much power in the process.”

“I don't think either of you absorbed power, for if you had, the other would have been weaker. It appears as if Inuyasha's youki and your reiki combined. The combustion between the two when they joined caused your forces to increase intensely. I don't care to test my theory at the moment, but I am almost certain that Inuyasha is likely equivalent to a full blood youkai now.” Miroku grinned suddenly before continuing. “To think Inuyasha, you wished to have the jewel to become a full youkai. Had you been granted such a wish, you would have surely gone mad with blood lust. Never would you have imagined your dreams answered when you took a miko for a mate. Kagome's reiki has brought your youkai to the surface, but her powers stabilized it.”

“She's an amazing woman isn't she!” Inuyasha placed a chaste kiss on Kagome's head, grinning in goofiness at his statement.

“That she is!” Sango offered up. “You did it Kagome, Midoriko is free. Hopefully tomorrow you will be able to speak with her again. We have much to learn about the jewel and its purpose.”

“That we do.” Kagome suddenly looked solemn at the prospect of the future. What was she going to learn in the next dew days? What did the future hold for them? Would they be able to save Misery? And just where had Shippo disappeared to? So many questions left unanswered had again created a unsettling feeling that pooled in her stomach.