InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Connections of Past and Present ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Again, many thanks to all of my wonderful reviews!!!!! InuGoddess715, CatLover260, angel-up-above-heaven, LadyCash, InuKeo, and Black and Bloody Rose you all made my days brighter with your wonderful words.Many thanks to my editor, muse and plot bunny......kokoronagomu.

Connections of Past and Present

Kagome paused as she was about to wash her hands. A familiar feeling began to tingle down her spine and she sent a worried look at Sango.

“Do you feel that Sango?” She asked.

“Youkai!” Sango replied.

The two girls quickly raced to the door, anxious to learn the fate of their friend who had been awaiting them outside. Reaching the door first, Kagome tried with all her might but found that the door would not budge. Sango was quick to add her own strength to the task but no matter how much effort they put into it, the door remained closed. Frantically, Kagome pulled her cell out of her purse and dialed Shippo. He answered after a few rings and she quickly informed him of the situation. He noted they had been watching the entrances and exits, as numerous oni and youkai thugs began filing into the club. Inuyasha snatched the phone from the kitsune and began blaring into the phone.

“Kagome! Stay where you are, I'm coming to get you.” He roared over the noise.

Slamming the phone shut, Inuyasha did another scan of the room. Oni contractors had taken up positions at every door in the club. He glanced at the kitsune and monk before turning his attention to his older brother. This was a new situation for him; never had he been in a crowded room with so many innocent people. Training with Jaken and Misery had taught him that he needed to act with restraint in the new era. He would not endanger Kagome and his friends with his normally rash behaviour. Looking towards Sesshoumaru, he waited to follow the lead of the older and more experienced youkai.

With furtive grace, Sesshoumaru stood from their second floor table. Nodding at Shippo, he watched as the kitsune disappeared into the crowd.

“Inuyasha, we will head down to where the girls are. You will remain calm and you will not act until I tell you to. Do I make myself clear?” Decisively he took the first step forward toward their destination. His hand came to rest again on the hilt of his sword.

Inuyasha nodded, waiting for Miroku to step in between them. The three of them made their way down the stairs and weaved through the congested dance floor. At the entrance leading to the restrooms they were met by four grimacing thugs. One could see that two more were stationed outside the women's restroom.

Sesshoumaru made a quick gesture to Inuyasha before all hell broke loose.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome huffed once more as she and Sango pulled on the handle. Despite the obvious fact that whoever was on the other side was much stronger, they did not give up trying to reach their friend. Turning around to look for any object they could use to pry the door then Kagome noticed a window high on the opposite wall. An idea quickly came to mind and she pulled on the other girl's shoulder to get her attention.

“We can't wait for Inuyasha and Miroku! Do you think you could get through on your own Sango?” Kagome questioned as they hurried across to the window.

“Definitely!”

“Great, give me a boost then.” Kagome quickly pulled the crossbow that had been hidden in her over sized purse. She wrapped the belted holster around her waist and once it was fastened in place inserted the crossbow. Adding two arrow cartridge clips to the belt she prepared to crawl out the window. One check over her shoulder assured her that Sango had finished preparing her own weapons. Nodding her head she signaled her own readiness, placing her foot in Sango's hand she hauled herself up to the sill. Making quick work of the window, she opened it and pulled herself through. She was actually thankful for the open dumpster she fell into as the cardboard helped immensely to cushion her fall. Jumping over the edge onto the pavement, Kagome turned and watch as Sango came tumbling out the window and into the dumpster. Brushing themselves off, they did another quick check of their weapons before continuing.

“There's no one out here! Which way should we go?” Kagome asked.

“Perhaps we should have waited for Inuyasha. His nose would have been a great thing right now! I wish I would have brought Kirara.” Sango stated as she took the lead and began sneaking along side of the dark alleyway. One Punisher gun was securely in her grip when she paused at corner that led down another alley. Listening she could clearly hear an evil creature taunting his prey. Placing a finger over her lips, she signaled Kagome to remain quiet.

Kagome crept behind Sango and stopped when she was directly behind her. She leaned forward slightly to take in what Sango was straining to hear. A raspy deep voice was quietly threatening someone. It was hard to make out the words at first, but when the voice became loud and angry, they knew exactly who was cornered at the end of the dark alley.

“You filthy half breed bitch! You pull a stunt like that again and I'll rip you to shreds before I even get you to Cernonnus. I'm sure he'd still pay me for your lifeless body. I'm warning you girl, one more stunt like that and I'll take my payment from your hide too.” He grinned wickedly as he trailed a hand down her face before painfully squeezing her breast.

Misery winced under the unwanted attention. Silently she cursed herself for underestimating Cernonnus' henchmen. She had struck out the moment they had turned the corner to this dead end alley. Not even managing to draw a blade she had felt the power drained from her when she was hit with the binding spell. A lower class oni like this one should have never had the ability to cast such a curse, but the answer had been revealed when she opened her eyes. That bastard Cernonnus had given him the same talisman that had been used to bind her mother. He must somehow be channeling his own energy through the talisman and controlling the spell remotely. It was obvious that the contractor had no idea how to use such a tool. Once she had been immobilized, the creep had dealt a low blow that had hurdled her into the far wall. A few more hits later, she was bleeding with the pervert feeling her up.

Anger began to pulsate through her and she felt a slight crack in the spell that held her in a state of complete vulnerability. She focused on that flaw and poured all of her energy into it. The talisman had worked on her mother, but Daearen was only half demon. Being three quarters had it's benefits. She felt another crack in the black force when all of a sudden her concentration broke when a manipulative force pulled on her mind. The contractor's face and his rancid breath suddenly faded to black.

Blinking once, she looked around her surroundings. The cobblestone walkway was the first indication that she was somewhere else. A long alleyway lay before her but in another blink it was gone and she found herself in a hay pile. Barn doors opened and a huge fire burned in the courtyard. Many figures encircled it chanting loudly over the crackling of the fire. Her heart began to pound erratically as the familiarity of the scene hit her. She watched in silent horror as her mother was led onto a platform beside the fire. Daearen was bound to the pole, her pleas falling on the deaf ears of the executioners. Misery felt the familiar constriction of Cernonnus's hands over her mouth and around her throat. His restraints made it impossible for her to run to the aid of her mother.

The executioner descended the platform and made his way to the nearby fire. Lighting a torch he laughed menacingly as he unceremoniously tossed the flame into the kindling beneath the platform. The crowded shouted insults at her mother as the flames began to lick the floor she stood on. Soon, Daearen's screams filled the night air as she was forced to endure the heat of the flames that engulfed her. Tears streamed down Misery's face as the voice from her past echoed in her ears.

X-X-X-X-X

Inuyasha ducked as another youkai swung at him. Recovering, he drilled the beast in the stomach before giving him a left across the face. Growling in frustration, he continued to await Sesshoumaru's signal to use weapons. The club was almost free of innocent humans, as most fled the premises when the fights had broken out. Inuyasha was almost at his breaking point. This was taking too much time. Kagome could be in serious danger and here he was, fist fighting with a bunch of stinking youkai. Finally after taking down another two oni, he heard Sesshoumaru's quick whistle. Grinning widely, he unsheathed his sword and made short work of the horde of youkai that recently streamed through a side door. Clearing the area of evil creatures, they were finally able to breach the threshold of the washrooms. Inuyasha and Miroku cursed in unison when the bathroom was void of any humans.

“Dammit. I told her to stay put!” Inuyasha cursed.

“Inuyasha look!” Miroku was pointing to the open window.

“Perfect. They decided to take matters into their own hands. Dammit. Kagome is going to get it after I find her.” Furiously he exited the bathroom and met Sesshoumaru at the nearest exit.

“Hey Sesh! Where the hell did Shippo run off to?” Inuyasha hollered as he approached his brother.

“He is bringing the vehicles around and he should have prepared the manor for our speedy return.” The somber reply was noted by Inuyasha. Perhaps Sesshoumaru was more effected by the girls' disappearance than he thought.

“Can you smell her?” He asked more gently.

“No. You'll find that establishments such as this have a way of mingling too many smells to easily pick one out. The recent commotion has my nose confused with the smoke, booze, sweat, and human fear. Once outside we should have better luck. How are your senses?”

“Still messed up from the moment we walked into this place. We better hurry up and find them before they do something stupid.”

Sesshoumaru nodded before kicking out the door and leading the way into the night.

X-X-X-X-X

“Sango, we have to do something. Misery's in trouble. She's not even moving! That pig is trying to molest her!” Kagome whispered as they watched a traumatized Misery.

“Right!” Sango was about to move in, when two evil snickers sounded behind her.

“Apparently you little pretties don't stay where you're put. Perhaps we need to cage you again. This time, we won't be nice.”

Sango did not hesitate and pulled off a round as she spun to face her attackers. Moments later, the two henchmen were nothing more then piles of ash. Looking past the smoldering piles, she felt relief when the familiar faces of Inuyasha and Miroku came to halt in front of her.

“Are you two crazy!” Miroku huffed out as he quickly assessed the state of Sango. “You're not hurt are you?”

Sango smiled brightly for him before a quick shake of her head assured him that she was fine. It was then that she noticed Sesshoumaru racing around the corner. They all quickly followed and watched as he cut down the oni that was restraining Misery. Kagome had been paying attention to Misery through the entire incident and quickly called out to Sesshoumaru.

“Don't touch her!” She yelled as she raced towards them noticing Sesshoumaru had come to kneel beside the girl. “Sesshoumaru, I think she's under some kind of spell. Misery hasn't tried to fight him at all.”

Sesshoumaru had noticed the pain etched in the girls face but it was the blank distant stare that troubled him the most. Her blades were still secured in her boots lending truth to the miko's statement. Kagome had quickly made it to their sides and was scanning the area with her eyes.

“I see it. There!” She pointed to the strange talisman that had fallen near the corpse of the contractor. Taking careful aim she fired a small arrow at the target. The crossbow released the arrow with deadly speed, and the projectile was engulfed by a pink light before slamming into the talisman, purifying it instantly.

Kagome watched as life returned to Misery's face. The girl blinked once at her, and then turned her face towards Sesshoumaru. A single tear fell from her eyes, before she fainted into his strong embrace. Kagome came to join the pair, leaning down she placed a hand on Misery's face. Tenderly she wiped the tear from her face and brushed a strand of hair away. Smiling she looked up into the concerned eyes of the youkai Lord.

“She'll be alright now Sesshoumaru. Lets get her home.”

Watching as the he carefully gathered Misery in his arms, Kagome felt Inuyasha clasp her hand in his. She allowed him to hold her back as the others made their way to awaiting vehicles.

“Kagome.” He growled into her ear as he pulled her against him so her back was flush against his front. He waited until the shiver running down her back ceased. “We need to talk.”

“Can it wait until we get home?” She whispered back, all too aware that he was angered by her actions.

“I'll be coming to see you as soon as we are back there.” He mumbled into her ear before reluctantly releasing her. He smiled as she skirted away from him racing to catch up with the others. His talk with Sesshoumaru earlier had granted him insight on the purpose of talking a mate. Kagome may not be ready for the physical aspect so other options needed to be explored. He'd be damned if Cernonnus would try something on Kagome like he had with Misery. It was well past time that he develop a link with his miko. Tonight he would put to use the insight he had gained from his brotherly discussion.

X-X-X-X-X

Returning to the fortified estate Sango and Kagome helped Sesshoumaru get Misery into her quarters. They shooed him from the room to allow Misery privacy while they cleaned her few wounds and changed her into clean and comfortable clothes. Then they left her under the protection of the youkai Lord who took up a vigil in a bedside chair. She had not awoken the entire time making them all worry. Unfortunately, nothing further could be done to help her until she roused.

Sango sighed heavily as she shut the door behind her. She leaned against it, watching as Kagome walked down towards her own quarters. Inuyasha was hot on her heels muttering angrily to her. They both turned to look at Sango before blushing and ducking into Kagome's room for more privacy. Sango smiled before sighing again and turning her attention to the kitsune's room. Shippo was taking the events of the evening very hard. Now that Sesshoumaru was obviously laying claim to the girl, poor Shippo had not been able to help his friend. She could hear the young youkai venting his rage inside his room. Her heart ached to go and comfort him, but she knew he needed time alone.

Finally she righted herself from the leaning position and began casually walking to her quarters. The door opposite to her own opened as she was about to go in. Miroku was leaning against the door frame, his eyes pleading with her.

“Sango, may I speak with you a moment?” He asked politely as he walked over to her side.

Nodding, Sango led him into her room and sat on the couch. She watched as he quietly shut the door and came to rest beside her on the seat. She realized tonight how much he cared for her. The day at the beach had provided great reassurance but tonight his actions proved his intentions. Miroku had never before been jealous over her. She recalled the time when she had been proposition by a young Lord for marriage. Miroku had merely wished her happiness and allowed her to make her own choice. Tonight though, he had struck out against any man who had dared look at her making her realize why Kagome liked Inuyasha's jealous streak. Miroku's actions had left her feeling desired and loved.

“Sango, may I ask you something?” He asked before shyly taking her hand.

Sango was surprised at the monk's suddenly bashful behaviour. Never had she seen so many different sides to him as she had in the past few days. First enamored Miroku, then jealous Miroku now bashful Miroku. Where was the calm, collected, lecherous monk she had known for so long.

“Would you... I mean to say... um... Did you like any of the men at the club?” He stumbled over the words, his insecurity suddenly getting the best of him.

“Well some of them were pleasant.” Sango replied unsure of the question.

“I see. Would you prefer to court one of them?” He whispered quietly, afraid of what her response was going to be.

Sango smiled then, realizing his fears. She stared momentarily as he in turn refused to take his eyes off her hand. So the normally proud womanizer had been put in his place simply threatened with possible competition.

“I'm not sure. I'm technically not courting anyone, so I guess I would be free for one of them to ask me out.“ She grinned slightly as his shoulder's dropped.

“I see.” It was true he thought to himself. Someone had caught her eye. Reluctantly, he released her hand and stood to make his leave. He was surprised when the taijiya's hand restrained him from leaving

“Sango?” His eyes bore into hers, searching for the meaning of her actions.

“I am still free monk.” Her eyes blazed with mischief and uncertainty, her cheeks fanned with a pretty blush. She released his hand to pat the seat beside her.

“We'll then, I suppose I had best remedy that.” He grinned wickedly as he sat beside her. Moving an arm behind her he gently lowered her to the couch before locking his lips to hers in a heated exchange.

Sango was breathless at the unexpected turn of events. Breathless, but ecstatic with the rush of passion that suddenly surged through her. The feeling of his lips on hers was new and the weight of his body was tantalizing. He broke the kiss to move beside her freeing her from the constriction of his weight. They lay beside each other cuddling and kissing, tentatively exploring their new found connection.


X-X-X-X-X

“What the hell were you thinking Kagome! You could have gotten yourself killed!” Inuyasha fumed as he slammed the door behind him.

“Well I'm not sorry! Misery was in trouble! We couldn't ignore that!” Kagome yelled back as she stormed into her bedroom.

“I told you to stay put! Dammit when I tell you to do something you should listen.” He slammed the next door, locking them in her bedroom.

“Oh really! Who made you king shit all of a sudden!” Kagome was beyond angered. She was furious with herself from removing the spell of subjugation from the beads. It would be so satisfying to see his face kiss the floor right about now.

“I'm your protector that's why!” He grasped her by the shoulders facing her to look at him. His rage melted away when her fiery eyes glared into his. Tonight he had been lucky. He had made it to her before anything had happened. Remembering the vacant look in Misery's eyes, he crushed Kagome to him in a hard embrace.

“Dammit Kagome. I could have lost you tonight!” He mumbled into her ear inhaling deep breaths of her scent as if trying to heal his wounds.

Kagome suddenly realized that reason for his anger. He wasn't mad at her but rather scared for her. She grasped at his shirt as she buried her face in his shoulder.

“I'm sorry. I was just so terrified that Cernonnus would take her before we could reach her. I know it wasn't smart but I could just stand by and do nothing. Misery is so alone. I didn't want her to feel like we abandoned her.”

“Misery is not your concern now. After tonight, I don't think Sesshoumaru will give her any breathing room. As long as she is with him, she is safe. You must stay with me so that I can protect you.” He loosened his grip before swinging her into his arms. In one fluid movement he had positioned himself on the bed with his back against the wall. He pulled Kagome back against him once he was settled. He loved the feeling when she relaxed against him and snuggled into his embrace.

“I will from now on. I promise.”

“Kagome, there is something else.” He tried to think of the way best to explain his plan to her.

“What is it?”
“Cernonnus would have a harder time taking you if we were bound together.” There, he had said it. He waited to feel her tense up but finally continued when she remained relaxed in his arms. “Sesshoumaru told me of a ritual that would allow us to bind our spirits together. That is if you are willing.”

“Explain it.” She simply stated, listening intently to how such a ritual was performed.

“Well, from what I gather we focus on our energy, like meditation I guess. Then we combine those energies when we have them maximized.” Inuyasha was still confused on exactly how they were going to accomplish such a feat. Sesshoumaru had not given him specifics just the information of the ritual. Since his brother had never seen such a feat accomplished he could not contribute any more information.

Kagome was silently contemplating his words. Grandfather had spoken of a ritual such as that once before. Unfortunately he was still in a coma. She had been visiting him every morning for the past two months, but there had been no change in his condition. She could not ask him for advice so she decided that this was something that Inuyasha and she were going to have to figure out on their own. A short time later she was interrupted by Inuyasha and she turned to face him.

“Kagome, remember when we were trapped in the stomach of that big ugly stone oni? I focused all my strength on Tetsusaiga and keeping my youkai just below the surface. You concentrated your reiki to limit my transformation and somehow managed not to purify my ass. Our combined force is what saved us that day. Maybe if we try that we can get our powers to maximize.” Inuyasha thoughtfully went over the details of that event.

“Well I guess. How do we combine them though?” Kagome's face turned to a frown as she was again perplexed by the problem. How did one combine powers? Their energy wasn't really something tangible that you could package up and give to the other. How could she transfer her power to aid him? An image flashed in her mind of a pentagram mirror. Shaking her head she cleared all other thoughts and focused on the memory. A castle appeared in the center of the mirror, allowing her to decipher its meaning. It was Kaguya's castle. The same place that she had stopped Inuyasha from turning youkai. She had achieved that by kissing him. That was it!

“Inuyasha. Just start meditating! I know how to do this. Trust me!” She squeezed his hand before closing her eyes and concentrating on her reiki.

The two sat facing each other, holding hands as they meditated. The flow of energy in the room soon started to change. Lights began to flicker as the pair brought their powers to maximum. Inuyasha's markings slowing appeared on his flesh, the youkai within vying for dominance over his human half, his body glowing pale blue with his youkai. Kagome was radiating reiki in minuscule crystals of pink that floated around her.

When she felt the spiritual energy pulsating through her veins she leaned forward and pressed her lips to his. The youkai Inuyasha growled before wrapping her in his arms and rolling her on the bed. He ferociously kissed her delighting in the inflow of energy from her body. He could feel his own rushing into her. In a climactic burst the lamps and lights around them shattered, sending them into darkness.

Exhausted from completing the ritual they lay embracing one another in the dark. A faint glow around them allowed them to see one another. Kagome's reiki light had engulfed both of them; tiny pink orbs floated happily around their bodies. Inuyasha looked down at her face and was surprised to see slight purple markings slowing fading on her cheeks. Astonished by the vision, he quickly informed her of his findings. She only replied with a giggle saying that she was certain a little bit of his bad side had indeed taken hold of her. He smiled in return and made a mental note to refrain from making her angry for the next little while. They let exhaustion take hold of them and they drifted into a recovering sleep content to lie in each other's warm embrace.