InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Wow, what wonderful reviews for the last two chapters. I hope this one is as enjoyable for you all as the last! Thank you angel-up-above-heaven, 180hawk, InuGoddess 715, CatLover260, InuKeo, and SistersGrimm. I hope this next chapter answers some of your questions! Special thanks to my beta Kokoronagomu for the wonderful job she has done for me once again!


The Beginning

Sango threw hiraikotsu through the meadow she and Kagome were practicing in. She had continued to train with the gigantic weapon as a way to maintain her strength. Although she had given up on many of her past ways in the modern era, this was one tradition she would not let go. It snarled through the air, mercilessly taking out a target they had erected. She smiled as it made its way back to her.

“Still haven't lost the knack!” Kagome giggled when the weapon was secured once more with its wielder.

“Nope!”

“That was quite the show yesterday eh?” Kagome thought about the vision Misery and Sesshoumaru had made when they were in the gardens. Everyone had gathered to the closest window to watch as a violent storm had surfaced from out of nowhere.

“What do think it was all about? First the explosion, then the crying and then the two of them in the storm?” Sango mused as she prepared to launch the bone boomerang again.

“I'm not sure. I thought she was trying to kill him, then I thought she had lost her mind. Now I don't know. That was a pretty intense kiss.” Kagome smiled at the last image.

“Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha sure have a way of making a scene when they are passionate about someone!” Sango laughed as she insinuated about the noise of Kagome's and Inuyasha's mating ritual.

“Oi Sango! I've seen Miroku and you lately. I know from your blushes that you've done more than just kiss!” Kagome poked back.

“Perhaps, but I'll never tell!” Sango grinned wickedly before grunting and shoving hiraikotsu back into flight.

“Traitor!” Kagome pouted. A tingling sensation crept over her when Sango caught the weapon once more. “We've got company!”

Both girls turned to search out the area behind them. Kagome quickly loaded her crossbow and heard the click of Sango's cartridge being installed. Scanning the area with her reiki she found the offending source.

“Left side Sango, just beyond those shrubs. Two I think!” She called out quietly to the taijiya.

“Right! Kirara, flank us!” She called out. The neko bursting into battle size and headed around the girls.

“Two little pretties all alone! Tasty little morsels aren't you!” A large oni contractor emerged from the bush, laughing wickedly at his prey.

“Two pretties, but we need the jewel and the other as well!” Another oni emerged with a large blade in his hand.

Kagome's senses tingled again. More oni were converging on them from all sides. Getting closer with each passing moment.

“Shit! We're being surrounded.” She hissed through clenched teeth.

“Come now. Tell us where the 'Key' is and we won't be so rough on you. Cernonnus wouldn't like you to arrive all tattered and bruised. All we need is your cooperation, Misery and the jewel and then we'll be on our way. The three of you are guests of honour for an upcoming banquet!”

“Honour? What would corrupted creatures like yourselves know of such a word?” Sango taunted them, attempting to stall some.

“Pretentious bitch!” One of the oni snarled as he skirted around them.

Sango and Kagome were soon surrounded by a mass of angry contractors. Back to back their turned slowly taking in their opponents. Sango swung Hiraikotsu above her head and let it fly. While it sang through the air she unleashed a few rounds of her Punisher successfully taking out a few oni with her assault. A flash of steel flew past the taijiya and she heard the miko gasp when it connected with her body.

Despite the searing pain in her back Kagome gathered her reiki to put up a barrier around them after a few of her silver arrows disappeared into the crowd. Purified oni hissed before turning to ash. The glow of her barrier prevented anymore creatures from attacking them at the moment. She heard Sango gasp as she assessed the situation.

“Kagome! Your back!” Sango worriedly eyed the open wound on her friend's back. She had been cut from shoulder to waist diagonally with a large weapon. Her head whipped back around when a contractor laughed just on the other side of the barrier.

“Tasty! Pure blood as well!” He licked the blade of his sword, obviously relishing the taste of the miko's blood.

“You Bastard!” Sango hissed readying her gun for another assault. She pulled the other gun out loading it as well. “Kagome, can you handle another round?”

The miko nodded grimly and lifted the crossbow in her weakening state. Taking a note from her friend she smiled in defiance at the beasts before her before dissolving the barrier around them and firing into the horde surrounding them.

X-X-X-X-X

Inuyasha and Miroku had been making their way towards the girl when they sensed the oni presence swelling in the meadow. In desperation they hauled ass towards the clearing drawing their weapons as they ran. Miroku knelt at the edge of the meadow, taking aim with his sniper to start stealthy dropping the evil creatures. Inuyasha charged in, Tetsusaiga in hand slashing from behind at the unsuspecting horde that had surrounded the girls. He caught sight of the pink barrier that had engulfed the girls and felt relief pouring through him only to have it hit full force when the barrier dissolved.

“Die Assholes!” He heard her voice scream over the roar of the enraged contractor's. Not wishing to risk the girls with an attack with his gun, he continued to take out the creatures with deadly precision with his fang.

Hiraikotsu came sailing past him, causing him to duck and roll in order to avoid its wrath. The clearing left in its wake allowed him a brief glimpse of the girls. It was then he caught scent of the blood. Sango's first before the overwhelming scent of his mates caught him. He felt the rage of his youkai thrum inside him.

'Release me now!'

“I'm a little busy!” He mumbled in his mind as he dodged another blow, then cutting down another oni making him one step closer to his mate.

'Our mate is injured! Release me!'

“What if you harm her?”

'Impetuous whelp! RELEASE ME! She will not be harmed.'

Unable to deny his youkai and fulfilling his own desires to destroy those who dared touch what was his, he growled menacing as his youkai took over. A deafening howl erupted as the whites of his eyes flooded red and his youki swelled to immense proportions. Many oni stood in shocked silence as the watched the hanyou transform, the ears on his head the only indication of what he had been moments before. His powerful youki sent some of the lesser oni running, trying to break free before he attacked.

X-X-X-X-X

Sango felt the sword embedding itself in a searing pain in her side. She gasped when the blade was pulled out. Falling to one knee she looked up into the murderous eyes of her aggressor. There was simply too many. She heard Kagome curse before the girl was knocked down, landing beside her. Kagome shot her a desperate look as she struggled to right herself. Her attention was brought back to the oni that had just stabbed her.

“Don't have any use for you princess. We just came for the jewel and the other two girls!” He grinned as he brought the sword up for the final blow.

Sango clenched her eyes shut, trying to ignore the terror that surged through her. A soft thud in font of her made her eyes open. The oni had a thin trail of blood trailing down from a bullet hole in his forehead. The stunned expression on his face and his lifeless eyes told her of his demise. The contractor fell to the ground in an undignified heap. She was still startled by the creatures death as hurried over to Kagome, gathering her in her lap before dropping two more oni that had attempted to take them. Kagome smiled up in gratitude then propped herself up in the taijiya's lap aiding in the fight once more as she fired more arrows at the crowd that hovered around them. Using each other for support the two girls put on a brilliant show of sheer determination as they knelt surrounded by evil, firing what few rounds of ammunition they had left.

The last of the rounds spent, they clutched to each other in fear of what was to come. Suddenly a surge in youki was felt and the contractors quieted, standing in shock at something neither girl could see. A blood curdling howl vibrated the hair on their flesh before a flash of silver and black darted around them, oni dropping like flies. In the deafening silence they could hear the sound of a single gun being fired from a distance as well as the gurgles and thud of the bad guys who were being exterminated. As soon as it had begun it ended. The girls were surrounded by a few scores of dead oni. The only sound was the peaceful swishing of grass as the breeze moved the sea of vegetation in the meadow.

“SANGO!” Miroku's cry broke through the silence as he jumped into the clearing swinging his rifle over his shoulder.

The taijiya and miko watched as the fretting monk charged towards them, only to slam on the brakes right before he reached them. Their attention was drawn behind them and they turned to stare at what had stopped the monk. An aggravated hanyou stood in a black leather glory at the massacre he had inflicted. He growled low as he dropped the oni that had sliced open Kagome's back. They stared in horror at the destruction he had caused to the creature's body. It was easy to see that he had not taken well to smelling Kagome's blood on its blade. The desecrated remains made a sickening thud as it was carelessly tossed aside.

Kagome could feel her friend tense when Inuyasha moved towards them. She squeezed the girls knee in reassurance. His youki still swirled around him in an intimidating display of power, but she was not afraid. Inuyasha would not harm her and she found comfort in that as she prepared to face him. She had dealt with his beast before in the sengoku jidai and she was prepared to deal with it again. As he approached, she could tell something was different. His aura was not unlike his elder brother's. This was not the beast that had mindlessly killed those bandits, Inuyasha was very much aware of his actions.

“My apologies,” he purred to the girls “you did not need to see such horror. However, I could not let his deed go unpunished.”

Sango and Kagome were both taken back at the youkai's statement.

“Miroku, Sango needs your assistance.” His voice was eerily calm as he addressed the stunned monk.

Miroku could only nod at the transformed hanyou. This was the first time any of them had seen Inuyasha fight since the markings had been permanently fixed upon his skin. He had willed his youkai to the surface but as Miroku surveyed the destruction he was quick to notice that all had been cut down with blade not ripped apart by blood thirsty claws. All minus the last had been dispatched with deadly precision, exterminated with calculated moves. Inuyasha had only tormented the one and judging by the condition of the miko, he was sure of the reasons behind the dealings with that particular oni.

Inuyasha helped Miroku with Sango before reaching down and gathering his precious miko in his arms. He hissed with fury when his hand met the sticky wetness of her back. Looking back he saw the monk helping the injured taijiya onto the back of the battle dirtied neko. Without further hesitation he disappeared into the forest, speeding back to the safety of the manor.

“Inuyasha?” Kagome called out softly to him as he rushed through the landscape.

“Quiet.” He ordered her in a demanding tone.

She ceased any further attempts to speak with him until their were once again locked in her room. He carefully set her on the bed, mindful of her wound. Eying him closely she noticed his eyes were still stained with red. She could still feel his youki swirling in the room as strongly as the night they bonded. Suddenly he moved behind her and in one fluid swipe slashed away the remnants of her tattered shirt. She let out a startled scream as her top was literally ripped from her body. Quickly she moved her arms up to cover her naked form.

“Oi wench, its only me!” He chuckled at her sudden display of modesty.

“Inuyasha!” She hissed when a warm tongue began to clean away the blood and dirt from her wound. Squirming from the uncomfortable sensation, she tried to move away only to find herself pinned down on her stomach.

“Be still!” He growled again. The tone more accustomed to the taiyoukai he called brother.

“Inuyasha, what the hell are you doing?” She cringed as his tongue probed against the raw skin of her injury.

“Cleaning my mate obviously!” His nonchalant attitude was beginning to wear on her nerves, but she blushed nonetheless at the word mate.

“Some sterile water and antiseptic would do the same job.” She pleaded.

“I will see to your wound myself!” He pinned her again when she tried to move.

“If I had the strength I'd purify your ass!” She threatened before relaxing under his ministrations.

“If you had the strength I'd be doing more than cleaning your wounds!” He grinned wolfishly when he was answered with stunned silence.

X-X-X-X-X


Sesshoumaru hurried down the hallway to the kitsune's room. He had waited only long enough to ensure the two girls' wounds had been treated before scheduling thisimpromptu meeting. Entering the room he found a very pale miko and equally pale taijiya protectively enclosed in the two males' arms. Shippo has leaning against the desk talking with Misery who had rushed down to assist in tending the girls' wounds.

“Inuyasha, were any left alive?” He asked as he took a seat in an available chair.

“Feh, a few of the bastards fled before I could reach them.” The intense eyes of the hanyou showed the emotions he was still struggling to control. Kagome was snuggled in his lap, oblivious to the battle raging inside her mate and of her calming presence on him.

“So it has begun.” Sesshoumaru mulled over his thoughts before continuing. “I spoke with the head of my guards. The contractors' headquarters where easily destroyed. It seems as though most of the inhabitants were engaged in battle here at the time of our defensive strike.”

“Do you think they knew about our attack?” Shippo asked the Lord.

“I am unsure of that at the moment. It could be a mere coincidence. Have some of your men do some more reconnaissance. It is too soon to know the meaning of this.”

“Sesshoumaru, they know now.” Inuyasha locked eyes with his brother.

“It seems so. We shall erect a barrier around the manor from now on. Kagome, do you feel up to assisting Miroku. You merely have to ignite the barrier from four existing points.” He glanced over at the weakened miko.

“Sesshoumaru ...”Inuyasha growled, disliking the taiyoukai wish for his injured mate to exert herself.

“It's alright Inuyasha. I'm feeling better already! I will manage my Lord.” She smiled up at Sesshoumaru.

“Good.” A faint smile of approval momentarily breeched his lips.

The group accompanied the monk and miko as they enchanted for statues at each corner of the ancient building. As the last statue was finished, a huge barrier engulfed the building in a brilliant hue of pink.

“Good. These statues hold your power and will maintain the barrier until you take it down. This allows you to continue without the barrier taking your strength.” Sesshoumaru explained to Kagome as the looked over the building.

Kagome nodded in understanding before she was swept into the embrace of a scowling hanyou. She smiled at him before turning her attentions back to the Lord.

“It seems that I am being forced into rest and recuperation. Good night Sesshoumaru.” Her twinkling eyes blinking in the low light of the night sky.

“My sincere wishes that you recover quickly Kagome-sama.” He watched as his brother carted the miko back into the warmth of the manor.

“Sesshoumaru-sama, I too wish to check upon Sango-sama. Her injuries were quite extensive.” Miroku bowed slightly to the youkai.

Sesshoumaru nodded before accompanying the monk back inside. Again he found himself in the kitsune's room, all present except his brother and the miko. Misery was slowly unwinding the soaked bandages from Sango's side. When bare skin was revealed they all gasped in surprise. Sango's wound was healing very quickly. The gaping hole was now sealed, ugly red flesh the only indication of being run through with a blade.

“Sango!” Miroku gasped as he trailed a finger over the wound as if trying to determine it real or not.

Misery was about to speak when a familiar white orb floated over them, pausing over the taijiya. The soft voice emitted from the globe was almost giddy as she spoke.

“Your other bonus for becoming warriors of the jewel!” One could almost hear the smile in the spirit's voice.

“Advanced healing?” Sango asked.

“Yes, your lives have been extended and I evened the playing field by granting you healing like that of our enemies. Though you are still mortal beings, you are no longer as fragile as you were as mere humans.” Midoriko explained.

“So we heal just as Inuyasha does now?” Miroku questioned.

“And what of Kagome, Midoriko-sama?” Sango asked anxiously.

“She was granted the same when I first sealed the well. I imagine her wound is well on its way to being nothing more than a memory.”

“Excellent!” The taiyoukai added. “Sango-sama, you and Kagome fought admirably against the oni today. This bodes well for us in the defeat of our enemies.”

“Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama.” The taijiya blushed at his praise.

Miroku watched as the mysterious orb vanished and then he assisted Sango up. Misery had covered the wound in a smaller bandage, so she was ready to retire for the evening. They said their good nights-before exiting, leaving the taiyoukai, kistune and nephilim together.

“Shippo?” A quiet and eerie voice reached out to the kitsune. He turned only to be caught in the anguished eyes of his dearest friend.

“Missy?” He answered afraid of what was about to be said.

“It's happening again.” The words were barely audible.

He wanted so badly to reach out to her, but the cold gaze of his elder bore into him. He let the hand drop that had been searching for her. He could only offer her words of encouragement for he did not wish to test the anger of a mated taiyoukai. He hadn't witnessed the display the day prior, but his nose had told him well enough that his attention to the girl would be unwanted now.

“This time will be different Miss.” Her misty eyes looked at him in confusion. It broke his heart because he knew that she did not understand his hesitation towards her now. She had wanted and needed his comfort, but he stood distant from her, seemingly unable to approach her. Taking a step towards him, she was stopped by a feral growl.

“Misery.” Shippo could only groan the word as he sadly shook his head in warning. “Perhaps you should rest Miss, it's been a tough few days for you.”

Misery was shocked at his cold treatment of her. Never had he denied her the comfort of his arms. What the hell was happening? Sesshoumaru had openly expressed his displeasure when she had attempted to approach her friend. Frustration swelled up inside her as she fled the room and ran across the hallway to her room. She slammed the door shut, slumping against it as tears threatened to spill forth.

Blinking a few times she felt her throat close as a lump formed in it at the sight that was before her. Having spent the day in the lab, this was the first time she had entered the room since that morning. Now, it was bare of any of her possessions. She knew where they had been taken and the knowledge both infuriated her and scared her. She stepped into the bedroom and was greeted by another empty space.

The main door clicked slightly and she spun around to see Sesshoumaru closing it lightly, a grim expression fixed on his face.

“What is the meaning of this!” The irritation evident in her voice as she demanded an answer.

“You are mine now. I demand you act in a way fitting of your position.” He glared at the woman, daring her defiance.

“I bound myself to you for your protection, not to be your mate!” She fumed back.

“It matters not! You are mine and you will share my room from now on.” He hadn't wanted this to come to a confrontation, but he would not be separated from her now. His youkai would not tolerate such absence. If he had to be cruel about he would. Eventually she would give in.

“You ass!” Misery eyes turned to steel as she sized up her opponent. “What of Shippo? Do you intend to deny me of my friend as well?”

“He has accepted his position. I advise you to do the same.” He skillfully darted the question while still getting his point across.

“You're not better than he is. I was right all along. Shippo was the one who told me to trust you, but you're not any different than Cernonnus!” She screamed her insult at him, feeling somewhat better when she saw him flinch.

“Dammit wench, I suggest you hold your tongue.” He snarled, still hurt at her accusations.

“I may be bound to you, but I don't have to like it.” Her voice took on a hard edge as she glared at him.

He closed the distance between them in a heartbeat, pinning her arms with his and forcing her against the wall. He inhaled a deep breath, sickened at the fear that radiated from her trembling form. No matter how much he hated it he needed to show her who held dominance in their relationship.

“Submit!” He ordered, growling at her. He fought back the need to wrap her in his arms when he felt her trembling beneath him.

“I'd rather die!” Her haunting eyes returned to stare at him in fear and loathing.

He growled again and then showed her then what he expected of her. Using one arm to forcibly tilt her head, he bared her neck to him. Had she been a youkai he would have been harsher in his punishment, but Misery was no youkai. He held her still as he drew his fangs across the tender flesh of her neck, mindful not to tear her skin. He felt as her pulse quickened when he growled just beneath her ear.

“You shall learn to be my mate Misery. I do not wish to argue over this.” He whispered in her ear, giving into his desire to comfort her. It was painfully apparent that they were still very much strangers. A relationship with her was going to have to be developed slowly and carefully. She was far too skittish and fearful of him. An alliance of trust would have to be formed before she would readily accept him. He would prove himself to her and earn that trust.

Releasing her, he felt disgusted with himself when fear filled eyes met his briefly. She quickly dropped her gaze and shuddered.

“At least Cernonnus does not hide behind false promises!” She spat before making her way to the door.

He braced his form in front not wanting the conflict to end like this. He chanced sending her a pleading look, not wanting to appear submissive. The look was lost on her as she avoided his face altogether. She moved past him clutching the handle of the door.

“I wish to retire now.... 'Master'.” The word dripped from her lips, laced with venom.

He hung his head slightly but allowed her to pass. When she was well down the hallway he let out a growl of defeat and smashed his fist into a wall in frustration. In less than twenty four hours he had gone from a hero in her eyes to a monster once more. How was he to change her mind? The scent of copper drew his attention to a bloodied knuckle. Groaning he tensed again and slammed his fist into the wall again. The aggression was not lessening the constricting feeling in his chest. Finally he stepped into the hallway, only to find an irate kitsune staring him down.

“Get it off your chest Shippo.” Sesshoumaru prepared himself for the harsh words, granting the kitsune one opportunity to vent. It was the least he could do for breaking the two apart.

“I swear to you, elder or not. You pull a stunt like that in my presence again and I will challenge you. After all that she's been through, you think pinning her to a wall is going to change things? If you had seen her that night after Cernonnus had attacked her, you would not lay one threatening hand on her!” Shippo's tail had puffed up from his anger. “She's not a youkai dammit! You can't expect her to submit!”

“What should I do then?” His expressionless face and cold, hard voice betraying the inner turmoil he was experiencing.

Shippo's face slackened in defeat at the lack of interest the taiyoukai was showing. Figuring a visual was the only way to get the point across, he finally spoke of the night that he met Misery.

“I could smell her blood that night, mingled with fear and fresh straw. I had been drawn to the area by a fire you could see for miles. Her face was barely distinguishable, one eye swollen shut and both blackened horribly. She was covered in cuts and bruises. The worst were around her neck. I swear you could probably have seen his fingerprints if you looked hard enough” Shippo sunk to the floor leaning against the wall for support. “The bastard had tried to strangle her before he forced himself on her broken body. I don't know how she managed to fend him off, but thank kami she did.”

Sesshoumaru took in the tale, the vision of her that weak making his youki flare. He was literally vibrate thinking of ways to make Cernonnus suffer when a vision of her neck flashed before him.

“Fuck!” He cursed sinking to the floor. Cernonnus had strangled her and he had just tried to make her submit like a youkai bitch. Submit by baring her throat. No wonder she had trembled with such fear, her scent had spiked with barely contained terror. He had likely just made her replay that repulsive moment from her past.

“So you're finally getting it. Misery's delicate. She may be part oni but she only has some of their traits. You must treat her like a broken angel.” He left a subtleness to his words having kept the secret of her wings to himself.

“Forgive me Shippo. I realize now that you are the only one who truly understands her. The only one she trusts. My possessiveness gets the best of me and I'll tell you now that I do not know if I can share. I will try for her sake though.” He sighed staring at the floor.

“She is dear to me tono-sama. Like a sister I guess.” He thought it best to keep their intimate past a secret. He would take the limited contact with her that he was being offered. The privilege would certainly be removed when that came to light. Best to take opportunities that were presented to you when you could.

“I am trying.” Sesshoumaru offered quietly.

“I know you are.” Shippo replied before offering the taiyoukai his hand. He grinned when it was accepted an they pulled each other to stand. He watched as Sesshoumaru prepared to follow in the direction of the distraught girl.

“Tono-sama.... May I suggest something to aid you?” He grinned at what he was about to say.

“Continue.”

“Submit!” The low growl was enough to make the kitsune retreat quickly into the safety of his room.

Sesshoumaru made the way to his quarters, hating the fear laced scent that trailed in front of him. Despite his respectable position, the kitsune's words were beginning to be tempting. Anything was better than having her tantalizing scent be ruined with fear. He cringed mentally before grasping the knob to his door and entering.