InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Baby Steps ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Thank you to Kryptoinuyasha, Inugoddess715, Inukeo, wbk, angel-up-above-heaven, Black and Bloody Rose, Sisters Grimm, nabikineum, and my friend Lady Cash for the great reviews. Again a round of applause for my beta Kokoronagomu!



Baby Steps

Inuyasha swept his miko into his arms leading her back inside after the barrier was established. Gently he placed her down on the mattress of the bed they had occupied earlier. Considering the amount of blood that had soaked through her bandages, he decided it was best that he change them again. Kagome gave him a weak smile when he lifted her shirt and began to carefully unbind the tight wrappings around her body. Clearing the last bloodied bandage he was astonished to find a closed wound on her back.

“Kagome?” He whispered, unsure of his eyesight.

“What?”

“Your back is healing rather quickly.” He traced a finger over the angry red flesh.

“It has felt much better than I thought it would. Do you think it's because we are mated?” She asked puzzled by her body's newfound abilities.

“Don't know.” He mused quickly dipping his head to clean the area again.

Kagome shivered at the feeling of his tongue sweeping gently over the tender area. The last time it had been most unpleasant, but now that the area had healed it was creating a much different experience. Her body began to tingle as a small fire ignited in her veins, the heat rushing through her with every beat of her heart.

“Mmm, somebody's feeling naughty!” His hentai side was back in full force when he heard her heartbeat accelerate.

Kagome turned to send him a nasty look shocked when she met slightly red irises. He only smirked and met her wide eyed gaze. The pieces fell into place as she remembered his appearance on the battlefield earlier.

“Inuyasha! When did you get company?” She shoved him in the chest, quickly grabbing the covers to hide her naked chest.

“Mmm Koishii why hide from me? I prefer you as you were.” He smirked as he moved towards her once more. He stopped his progression when she placed a restraining hand on his shoulder.

“Whoa buddy, I think we need to have a chat.” She gave him a little glare and then patted the area beside her.

Inuyasha grumbled but made his way up to the top of the bed, turning to rest his back on the headboard he sat cross legged beside her.

“Oops, she figured it out.” Inuyasha growled mentally. “I wonder why. Couldn't resist could you.” Taking one look at her neatly tucked in the blankets her bare back still visible he groaned. “Nope, she's too tempting.”

“How long have you two been... one?” She smirked knowingly.

“Oi wench! What do you mean?” He tested. No use letting the cat out of the bag if she didn't actually know.

“Inuyasha!” Her warning tone signaled that she meant business.

“Fine. Since the ritual. Finally sealed the deal today I guess. We merged completely. Before my youkai was a voice in my head, now there's no more voice, just some bad... habits.” He finished trying to explain the situation.

“So my poor shy hanyou is gone?” She mused mostly to herself, only to be brought out of her daze when she was crushed against the headboard.

“I believe there are benefits.” He smirked before landing a searing kiss on her. Trailing light fingers down her bare arms he broke the kiss to bask in the glory of the heated flush that had crept up Kagome's face.

“You sure are a devil now aren't you?” She giggled at his new found boldness.

“No horns, but cute ears!” He purred when she tested his statement, bringing one hand up to lightly rub one of the furry white appendages.

“Still works too! Glad the new you still has some weaknesses.” She went to turn over and winced when the healing skin stretched too much.

“It hurts still doesn't it?” He noticed her pained expression as she settled.

Kagome nodded, frustrated by the pain that was hampering further progress to their relationship. She gasped when he stood up and stripped down to nothing but his boxers. Lifting the covers he wiggled underneath, shutting the lamp off when he was settled. Pulling Kagome onto his chest he tucked her head down. Chest to chest they cuddled relishing the feeling of flesh on flesh.

“Rest Kagome, I can wait, I'm no animal.” He smirked when he heard her laugh.

“You sure I won't get to heavy?” She snuggled into his body.

“Feh! I'm much stronger now Kagome. You're like a little feather now. I'm more concerned about your back. Go to sleep before I change my mind.” He pulled a strand of hair gently, teasing the tired girl.

“Thank you Inuyasha.”

“Keh! When you're healed, I plan on having another one of these 'chats'. I have much to find out about you Koishii.” He flashed stunning fangs at Kagome when she looked up at him. He smiled even wider when she stretched her neck to place a kiss on his chin.

“Until then... Night Yash.”

“Night Koi.” '

X-X-X-X-X

Sesshoumaru cracked the door open lightly, another wave of her fear laced scent washing over him. She was sitting ridged on the bed, brushing her long hair methodically. Her eyes as distant as ever, staring off into space. It wasn't until he closed the door that she noticed his presence. He was realizing slowly that she was far different than youkai. Her constant inability to sense him suggest she did not have the enhanced sight, smell, and hearing that his kind did. There was so much they needed to learn about one another. He filed that thought for later discussion, wanting right now to only ease the tension that had wound so tightly between them.

As he closed the distance between them, her fear spiked once more. She shot him a deadly glare, but he could see she was doing all she could not to run as he approached. Cautiously he knelt in front of her and then rested his head in her lap. He made a big display of submission for her, intent on making his point in a way no words could. He pulled his long hair aside and bared his neck.

He could tell by the sharp intake of her breath that she not only understood his actions, but was surprised by it immensely. He moved his head back so that he could grasp one of her hands. Bringing it to his mouth he placed chaste kissed on it. He gave her the most pitiful and pleading look he could muster. Liquid pools of amber warmed his cold features as begged her forgiveness.

“My most heart felt apologies. I'm afraid my kind is known for rash behavior. I would be most honoured if you would forgive me and grant me the opportunity to redeem myself.” He schooled his voice so no traces of its normal gruffness would be present.

“I...” She tried to come up with an excuse to push him away but her words became stuck in her throat. He had terrified her in her old room not long before but here he was openly submitting to her. Something she knew was probably very difficult for the taiyoukai.

“You bound yourself to me for my protection. I have openly dishonoured you by my actions. Although I still desire the respect of the dominate mate; I know now that respect is earned, not forced. I would like very much to get to know you better Misery.” He never left his kneeling position, afraid he would frighten her by any other movement. He grasped her other hand and held them together with his own in her lap.

She stared down at him, overwhelmed by his change in demeanor. Why was he doing this? Was it some trick to gain her trust? She had sought out his powerful youki yesterday in her darkest hour because she knew he had the strength protect her. She had spent all day cursing her moment of weakness on account that Shippo had taught her all too well the tendencies of Inu youkai. They were possessive and strict and she had not considered about the consequences of being tied to a creature that was loyal until death. In one fateful moment she had sealed her fate for eternity. The thought had left her scared and bitter. She had not thought that the Inu no Tashio would go as far as refusing her the only true friend she had ever known. His actions tonight had infuriated her. She needed Shippo for he was all she had. The kitsune knew everything about her; everything about the past that haunted her.

Above all though, she was plain scared. Scared she had made a mistake. She had not trusted her feelings for the male gender since Cernonnus. Though she had developed a relationship with Shippo he was someone she shared a consensual friendship with, not an actual relationship. Being wrong once before had cost her dearly; would she repeat her past mistakes?

'He's not the same and you know it'. Her mind shouted at her.

Sesshoumaru was witnessing some kind of inner struggle in the girl. Her eyes clouded in confusion and frustration as she mentally battled herself. Without thinking he reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She brought fierce eyes up to lock with his.

“Why? Why are you doing this?” She whispered, her face etched with confusing. Her voice bleeding with hurt.

“Since you arrived I found myself drawn to you. I know not why. Each day that passes binds you tighter with my soul. I need to keep you safe. I need to keep you with me.” His words were honest and heart felt.

“State your intentions!” She said more boldly, weighing his words carefully as he spoke.

“I intend to make you my mate. Completely and thoroughly.” His voice regained its former strength. He saw her cringe, but he figured the truth was his best option.

“I suppose it is my duty.” She said in despair as she reached down and attempted to remove her shirt. Her hands were stopped by his own.

“Not your duty Misery. I will only have you when it is your will.” He rubbed his thumb against her hand in reassurance.

“But I owe you as much. We are not fully bonded.” She was shocked at his refusal.

“All you owe me Misery is a chance to earn your respect and your heart. You are free from any other obligation.”

“Free to see Shippo?” She tested him slightly, eyes hopeful for a good response.

“Only if you promise to keep it limited until I develop more of a standing in your heart. Truthfully, I am intimidated by your close relationship. A position I don't find myself in too often and I'm not keen on the feeling.” He mumbled, ashamed at his revelation.

“Truly you would allow that?” She smiled shyly, her tension slowly dissolving.

“Agreeable upon one request,” Sesshoumaru's eyebrow twitched mischievously when she waited for his demand. “I scent mark you before and after.”

“Scent mark?” She cringed imagining the implications of his words.

“A simple cuddle before and after is all that is required.” He laughed heartily when the tension all but melted from her shoulders.

“That's it? Honestly?” She eyed him speculatively.

“Cross my heart!” He smirked and stood. “You need to get some sleep my dear.” He swept her up into his arms and laid her down on the bed. Tucking the covers up around her he retreated to the chaise when he finished.

“Sesshoumaru?” She looked at him questioning his behaviour.

“I think its best we take up this sleeping arrangement until you get to know me better.” He was leaving the control in her hands, a position he was realizing was crucial for her to feel safe. Time would allow them to develop their new found relationship. He was certain that he could win her favor through respect and trust. A valuable lesson he had learned tonight.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome and Sango stretched as they walked the long hallway that led down to the lab. They were skipping training with the men today in order to give their wounds a chance to finish healing. Instead they were going to visit Misery since it had been a few days since the three of them had had any 'girl' time.

Kagome was relieved to see Misery well on her way back to her old self. The loud thumping of bass was the first indication of the girls lifted spirits for she had not played music since her encounter with the oni contractor. Entering the lab they found her hanging up leather outfits on one wall. She greeted them with a small smile when she spotted them linger in the doorway. Quickly turning the music down, she motioned for them to join her.

“No explosions please!” Sango teased and made a big scene of checking out the place for the offending bombs.

“I promise!” Misery held her hands up in defeat before grinning widely.

“Missy! It's so great to see you smiling again.” Kagome embraced her in a quick hug before taking a seat beside her.

“It's been a trying few days but I'm feeling much better.” She smiled back at her friends.

“Sooo, Missy! You wanna tell us something.” Both the girls stared at her expectantly, unable to keep the sheepish grins off their faces.

“Tell you what?” Misery crossed her arms and shot them an evil glare.

“Impressive storm we had the other day.” Sango began

“Idiots!” Misery rolled her eyes at the pair, but figured that she wasn't going to get out of this one.

Pulling up a chair to join them she began to relate the events of the last few days. She began with her vision of her mother, went on about her talk with Shippo, continued with the explosion and storm then finished with the fight. Both girls listened intently, enthralled by the drama in her life. Kagome was wearing a look of stunned silence by the end.

“You mean he submitted to you?” The words fell from her mouth in a rush. She stared unbelieving at the other girl.

“I know. I was surprised. Must have been tough for 'old cold and stoic'.” Misery began. “Kagome, maybe you could give me some insight on Inu-youkai. You've been with Inuyasha for quite a while. Although I know a great deal about youkai, I never bothered to learn anything about their family groups or relationships. All I needed to know was how to kill them.”

“Sure, I'll try!” Kagome exclaimed, but her excitement was dashed when Misery's shoulders slumped and she braced her elbows on the table to prop her head up.

“I'm afraid I made a terrible mistake. I felt the darkness closing in with the storm so I reached out to his youki. In a moment of panic I merged my ki with his youki to keep me grounded. I was terrified of the nightmares I had been having. What have I done?” She whispered. Sango and Kagome looked at each other in understanding before moving their chairs closer and comforting the her.

“You chose well Misery-sama. Sesshoumaru-sama is a powerful youkai. He will be able to protect you.” Sango began to smooth the issue.

“Sango's right Miss. There's a reason that you chose him. You must have realized deep down that he was a suitable match for you. It's obvious to us that you would make a great couple. Sesshoumaru needs someone like you to take him down a notch or two. You're fiery and stubborn attitude will ground him as well.” Kagome rubbed the distraught girls back trying to give her strength.

“I haven't been very 'fiery' around him lately. He scares me half to death most of the time. When his youki latched onto mine I nearly died in fright. He's far too possessive. What will happen if I do something wrong?” Her eyes glittered with concern when she looked up.

“We'd be lying if we said he wasn't frightening. The first time I met him he tried to kill me. Be thankful you're his mate and not his enemy.” Kagome smiled than cursed her words when Misery looked at her in horror.

“He tried to kill you?”

“It was a long time ago!” Kagome laughed nervously rubbing the back of her head and looking at the ceiling. “He's changed since then Misery. He eventually let go of his hatred for Inuyasha and became an ally to us.”

“But he still tried to kill you.” She was stunned at the girls admission.

“Yes, but he didn't... so no harm done!”

“It's likely that he's just as confused as you. The fight you had already indicates that he thought to treat you like a youkai but he realized his error and tried to fix it.” Sango again encouraged.

“What if I... what if I disappoint him?” She mumbled looking down at her hands. “I bet he would be furious if I did something stupid.”

“He would not have allowed you to tie your ki with his youki if he thought you unworthy. Trust in your fate for this is surely your destiny. It will take time but let him gain your respect and trust.” Kagome grasped Misery's hand and gave it a knowing squeeze.

“Alright I'll try.” A sudden smirk crossed Misery's face as she lined up the other two. “Okay you scallywags! Your turn! This had better be juicy too. I've gone too long without gossip!”

Kagome was about to start the new point of discussion when the lab doors opened and Sesshoumaru and Shippo entered. The two male youkai nodded in greeting before making their way over to the girls.

“Shippo!” Misery smiled and began to make her way to the sad looking kitsune. She stopped in her tracks when she heard that territorial growl beside him. She looked up slightly fearful at the taiyoukai. He's eyes twinkled lightly and she instantly knew what he has getting at. Sidestepping the kitsune and desperately trying no to look at his crushed features she made her way to stand in front of Sesshoumaru. He stepped forward and wrapped her in a tight embrace, kissing her lightly on the forehead before he let her go. She gave him a brave smile before spinning and launching herself at the stunned kitsune.

“Misery, you're going to get us both killed!” Shippo whispered in his friend's ear, still too afraid to return her embrace. He chanced a look at his Lord expecting to see the taiyoukai vibrating with anger. To his surprise Sesshoumaru nodded and a silent understanding formed between them. The kit's eyes sparkled once more as he latched onto his friend and held her tightly.

The two girls where left staring at each other unsure of the youkai's newfound softness. So lost in their thoughts they were startled when he spoke.

“We came to see if the suits are ready.” He motioned towards the leather clothes hanging on the opposite wall.

“Oh right! They are all done.” Misery pulled herself from Shippo's embrace and weaved through the shelves and tables to the outfits. “All sized appropriately for each one of their respective owners.”

Pulling two off the rack she handed one to the girls and one to the youkai. She watch with pride as the four ran appreciative hands over the soft leather. Satisfied that they had all had time to inspect them, she began explaining the features.

“They are made from high quality leather that will protect you from scrapes and shrapnel. The chest and back pieces have been lined with a thin layer of state of the art bullet proof armour. You'll notice that it is lightweight and flexible.” She smiled as they tested the flexibility of the suit.

“Did you embroider them all by hand?” Kagome asked in astonishment when she notice the designs that covered the suit.

“Yes, both in Gaelic incantations and the sutras Miroku taught me. Would one of you gentlemen demonstrate?” She asked.

Sesshoumaru was the first to step up to the plate and he let his youki rise. Kagome noticed Misery start to tremble when the youki surged so she ducked her hand under the table to grasp her friend's in reassurance. Misery's wide eyes met hers briefly, but the miko could tell she was trying her best not to be afraid. Sesshoumaru let out a small whip of energy that blasted the suits. They reacted by throwing up a shield, the symbols on them glowing brightly against the black leather.

“Amazing!” Sango exclaimed.

“Took me quite a while to perfect that!” Misery smiled when Sesshoumaru dissipated his youki. “I have also created arm bands similar to Sango's that conceal knives. The boots are in the corner there. Would you all like to take yours now?”

The miko and taijiya were eager to try on their new fighting apparel and jumped at the opportunity to leave with the items. Misery busied herself with matching the two with their suits, boots, and leather sleeves. She also gave them the respective outfits for Inuyasha and Miroku. When their arms were fully loaded she opened the door for them and promised to meet them later in Kagome's room. Finished with them she turned to face the youkai.

“Suits for you as well?” She lifted an eyebrow in amusement at the pair.

Shippo was soon heading out with his own leather, but he paused and allowed her to give him a quick hug before leaving. Alone in a room with the youkai, Misery's nerves were reeking havoc on her.

“Well done. You have quite a knack for creating fine weapons and armour.” Sesshoumaru mused as he trailed a clawed hand down his own outfit.

“I guess it happens when one is constantly struggling to survive.” She moved around the counter so it put some distance between them. '

“It must have been difficult for you.” He knew what Inuyasha had been through as a young hanyou trying to survive. He regretted his hostility and refusal to aid his brother and it troubled him that she had experienced the same life.

“I managed. I'm glad that I had the ability to adapt. Not all of us were so lucky.” She remembered the faces of the other hanyou, mixed breeds and timid creatures she had met over the centuries. All who had been destroyed simply because they were different or their blood was not pure.

He nodded in understanding then looked back at the leather. The scent of her crossed the space between them and he growled in irritation. He felt her fear spike at the sound so he quickly looked up and smiled in reassurance.

“The kitsune.” He moved around the counter to close the distance, happy to see she did not flinch this time. It helped that she was prepared for his actions through the openness they were exploring with their rules. Slowly he wrapped his arms around her form, pulling her back into his embrace. He buried his nose in her hair breathing in as much of her scent as he could. Carefully he brought a hand up to pull the hair away from her neck. Instantly she tensed and began trembling as he turned her head to bare her flesh.

“Relax Misery, I will not hurt you.” He encouraged her to allow him to continue eager to remove her fear of him. When she did not struggle, he dipped his head to place a trail feathery kisses down her neck. Finishing with a light kiss to the junction at her shoulder he smoothed her hair back over the flesh he had recently exposed. He held her a moment longer and his whole being protested when he let his hands drop to his sides. He made no indication of moving away from her, curious of what her response would be.

“Thank you for your understanding.” She whispered still leaning against his strong body behind her. She was grateful that he was respecting her apprehensiveness and even though his recent act was clearly a show of dominance he had allowed her space to accept it. Oddly she found comfort in his intimidating presence. Shaken at the sensation she moved sideways losing contact with him. The feeling of loss nearly overwhelmed her in that instant and she soon was wishing she had stayed were she was.

Sesshoumaru had felt the connection before she had pulled away. She had been obviously startled by the new feeling and had responded by taking flight. Wanting more contact he moved past her on the way to the door, lightly brushing her back as he went. She jumped at the touch which brought a smile to his face, for this time, not a tiny trace a fear was evident in the room. His smile grew into a broad badge of success as he strode away and disappeared into the hallway.