InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Hell Cats and Bets ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Fluff warning! Keeping it clean for fanfiction.net! Enjoy!

Thank you angel-up-above-heaven, Kryptoinuyasha, psyco chick32, CatLover260, Sailor Draca, Taeniaea, SistersGrimm, InuKeo, and Black and Bloody Rose for another round of wonderful reviews!

Bouquet of Roses to my wonderful beta Kokoronagomu!


Hell Cats and Bets

Sango stood admiring the new leather suit that Misery had developed. It hugged her form perfectly, feminine in appearance but very much battle hardy. The boots where heavier than her old ones as they were made from thicker leather and stronger soles. The arm bands had impressive knives hidden on the outside that where easy to engage and wield. The holsters that she had been given to house her two Punishers matched the ensemble nicely. She was pleased to find extra pockets and holders for ammunition, shuriken and rations. The suit was beyond her expectations and she was quickly testing her ability to move in it.

That's how Miroku found her. A tempting vixen clothed in tight leather, twisting and turning as she jumped and twirled in the garden. He grinned wickedly before approaching her with hooded eyes.

“Sango-sama, what are you wearing?” He smirked at her blush when she noticed she was being watched.

“Oh! Misery gave us these for our upcoming battles. I was just testing mine out.” She smiled brightly as he closed the distance and wrapped her in his arms.

“I'd rather you practice getting out of them.” He whispered huskily in her ear.

“Hentai!” She giggled but allowed him to smother her face and neck with kisses.

Miroku pressed her back against a nearby tree and explored the tight fighting material. His cursed hand cupping her bottom and lifting her slightly as he continued his tactics. Sango was soon moaning lightly as he trailed the length of her body with well trained hands. He quieted her with a searing kiss before sweeping her into his arms and heading for his room.

X-X-X-X-X

The monk and taijiya's laughter and squeals echoed down the hallway where Misery was walking. She grinned slightly imagining that Miroku had caught Sango in her new outfit. She new that he would be hard pressed to resist the allure of a woman clad in leather and lace. She heard his door slam moments before she turned to walk the hall that led to all their rooms. Ignoring the ruckus coming from the room one door down, she knocked lightly on Kagome's door. The miko was quick to answer and flushed prettily when she heard the noise.

“Miroku saw the Sango in the outfit I'm guessing!” She giggled as Kagome motioned her into the room.

Closing the door the miko began to chuckle to herself. She made her way to the small fridge and pulled out drinks for the two of them.

“You'd think they'd try to be quiet about it.” Kagome flushed again realizing what was probably happening across the hallway.

Misery shrugged her shoulders and shot her friend a sly look as she sat.

“Are you quiet?”

“Mercy sakes! You take the direct route don't you!” Kagome was embarrassed but found the comment humorous nonetheless.

“Well are you or aren't you!” Misery laughed before dodging an attack of flying couch cushions.

“Don't know.” Kagome stated calmly cracking open the soda can.

“You haven't got your groove on yet? No midnight dancing, no swapping sheets, no he said she said! Nothing! What the hell!” Misery looked depressed at the news, feigning as dramatic face as she could.

“Oh give it up already. It's going to happen soon. It's only been a few days and there has been so much other stuff going on. Inuyasha's youkai merged with him. It was really confusing him before, constantly having a little voice in his head nagging him on. He would do something completely uncharacteristic and then storm off to the shower.” Kagome began to explain the confusion his youkai had created in that last few days.

“Cold showers eh?” Misery took another swig of her soda.

“Yep. Little devil has turned downright hentai on me lately. Constantly making comments about 'getting me out of my clothes' or 'better things to do with my tongue', he even made a comment about 'catching me on my knees'. That boy could make a sailor blush I think!” Kagome blushed harder remembering some of the 'bad habits' his youkai had imprinted him with.

“It's just pent up frustration. The boy needs to get laid and you're just the gal to do it!” The nephilim grinned wickedly.

“You're one to talk!” Kagome snickered back. But as fate would have it tonight she would be completely healed.

“You're looking a little nervous Kags. Wanna talk about it?”

“Nah, I'll be fine. Just a little 'pre-show' jitters I guess.” She sighed.

“You'll do just fine. It'll be awkward for the first bit, but just let your instincts guide you and the two of you will make the best of it.”

“I have a feeling he won't be awkward at all. Honestly Miss, if you had heard some of the comments.”

“Great, then I'll be taking bets with Shippo on who screams louder. I'm betting on Sango. She's a hell cat in battle, likely one in bed too!” Misery gracefully dodged another cushion as she stood and made her way to the door.

“Traitor!” Kagome smirked

“Have fun tonight Kaggy! Do me a favor and help me win the bet. Put a pillow over your face!” Her laughter rang through the halls as she quickly shut the door before she was hit by the multiple projectiles a red-faced miko was firing at her.

X-X-X-X-X

Shippo quickly scanned the reports on his screen. The photos attached to the file did nothing to ease his growing concern. Updated sightings of Cernonnus were coming in more frequently and the locations were pointing to the fact that he was headed in their direction. Their own attack on the oni headquarters had not slowed his progression at all, in fact his recent multiple sitings suggested the opposite. Opening the next document he cringed at what he saw. A picture of Cernonnus staring directly into the camera. The bastard knew he was being watched and was simply toying with them.

“He's coming isn't he runt.” Inuyasha leaned over the kitsune's shoulder to stare at the computer screen. He felt the anger rise up when he stared into the cold eyes of the oni leader.

“Looks that way.” Shippo clicked onto the report to find out where the last picture had been taken. “Fuck! He's already in Tokyo. He could launch an offensive strike at any time. This is bad. Really bad.”

“No shit! Any ideas?” The hanyou asked, rubbing a hand across his face in frustration. This was so foreign to him. Having to sit by and watch as he was hunted down infuriated him. All he wanted to do was track down the bastard and give him a little justice compliments of Tetsusaiga.

“I don't know. He's worse than Naraku. I expect that he likely knows our location and would expect a barrier. My bets are on him sending humans to do his dirty work. Something along that line because neither he or his contractors can cross through the barrier.” A worried frown crossed the kitsune's features. “It's possible that one of his men have already infiltrated our grounds. They may have been here for weeks. Shit!”

“How do we know? Do they have any scent to trace, features, anything? Kagura used the dead, would he try something like that?” Inuyasha struggled to find an answer.

“No.” Shippo's bleak word made his friend look up with worry.

“What do you mean no runt?” He growled.

“Cernonnus has the ability to control human minds. He would be sending perfectly healthy men, women or children that he had brainwashed. There is no way for us to know if we have traitors in our midsts.” Shippo rested his head in his hand, trying to rid the strain from his eyes. He leaned back in his chair and looked sternly at the hanyou.
“If someone is found to be a threat, they will have to be exterminated. No questions asked. We may end up killing innocents.”

“Son of a bitch!” Inuyasha slumped into the chair in front of the kitsune. “That's going to be a large burden for Kagome to carry. Don't tell her for the time being.”

Shippo nodded in acknowledgment for he was in no hurry to place the heavy weight on Kagome's mind. It was best that she remained ignorant of the situation for as long as possible.

“Why can't anything be simple like it used to be?” Inuyasha grumbled under his breath.

“The next few months are likely to be rough. I don't really like to think about what will happen if we should fail.” Shippo tiredly rubbed a hand over his eyes.

“Baka! We won't lose. It'll be better than our fight against Naraku. We have all the allies together. It's not like we have to convince Sesshoumaru to fight alongside us this time. Plus we have Midoriko and Misery. Not to mention you're not such a helpless runt like before.” Inuyasha's determination made his eyes glimmer in the light of the computer.

“I hope you're right Inuyasha.”

X-X-X-X-X

Inuyasha entered the room worn out from spending the afternoon and evening with Shippo going through reports on their enemy. He crossed the living area and headed straight for the bedroom. It was late and he had a hell of a headache. He wished now that someone had told him what staring at those damn computer screens all day could do to your head. He could smell Kagome's freshly shampooed tresses lingering in the air. Breaching the threshold to the bedroom he was stunned by what he saw. Kagome was barely clad in red lace a vision of beauty that left him breathless. A faint blush on her cheeks the only evidence of her embarrassment as she lounged in proud display for him. All the fatigue he had felt moments before melted away in that moment.

“Kami Koi, what are you up too?” His husky words drawing her eyes to his.

“Planning on releasing your pent up frustrations.” She giggled at her bold words.

He didn't know how to respond to that. He was supposed to be the hentai, not his sweet and innocent little miko. He ran appreciative eyes over her lithe form once more and noticed how his intense gaze made the temptress shiver. He stalked towards her slowly, growling in good humour as he put on a mini strip show for her. By the time he had reached the bed he stood at full attention in nothing but what his mother gave him.

Kagome gasped in mock horror before laughing hysterically and hitting him with a pillow. He grinned down at her and made a wicked face baring his fangs.

“You're gonna pay for that wench!”

She sent back a mischievous grin before dropping to her hands and knees and smiling seductively. Rising to her knees she used her index finger to call him over. He moved cautiously resting his weight on his outstretched arms, just barely settling one knee on the edge of the bed when she whispered over his lips.

“Bring it on!”

Her laughter turned to shrieks as she dodged an attack racing off the bed in a flash of red lace. Inuyasha flopped on the bed and then turned aroused eyes on her fleeing form. Kagome let out another squeal when the hanyou made a move to chase her.

“You have to catch me first Yash!” She laughed as they raced around the room in a sexy game of cat and mouse. She vowed to give Sango a run for the money when she finally let her mate catch her and they tumbled to the floor.

'Sango might be a hell cat, but I've got claws of my own! Shippo's gonna have to split his winnings with me!' She thought before the frenzy of their passion blanked out any more coherent thoughts.

X-X-X-X-X

Seven sets of somber eyes stared at each other in the makeshift meeting room. Despite Shippo's and Inuyasha's wishes the girls had been told the latest development after an incident in the manor the night before. In the middle of the night two humans had attempted to breach the security of the vault and steal the jewel. They had been detained and then confined in the ancient manor's underground prison. Cernonnus had already launched an attack on them; his minions having been under their noses for weeks.

Shippo had been aware of the possibility but the boldness of the attack had left him with a sickening feeling in his stomach. He took in everyone else's reactions and figured that they too were feeling much the same as him. The sinking sensation was not getting better as the silence stretched eerily in the room.

“Tono-sama, you thoughts on the matter?” He broke the silence.

Sesshoumaru looked up at him and then briefly scanned the faces before him. Standing, he paced the room searching for a way to overcome the latest blow to their defenses. He came to stand behind Misery and rested his arms on the back of her chair.

“Two options. Expel all humans that work here or move the base of our operations to another location.”

“Move again, but what of grandfather?” Kagome became distraught at the thought of another move.

“My apologies Kagome-sama, I have not thought that far ahead.” He cringed before returning to his seat.

“Any thoughts on where we would move Sesshoumaru-sama?” Miroku pressed the issue anxious to get matters solved.

“No.” His stoic features hid his apprehension at their current situation.

“You're all ready to hike your skirts and run away like little school girls!” Misery literally sparked with rage, her normally invisible ki threatening to singe anyone that got to close. “Don't you get it, he'll always follow! He always finds me! No matter how far we flee he'll use his hell hounds to track us until the end of time!”

“Misery,” Shippo approached her only to be pushed back by her ever expanding ki.

Her eyes glistened with emotion as she moved towards Kagome. The miko was unharmed by the energy that poured from the girl before her. Misery collapsed in a heap in front of her and quickly grabbed her friends hands.

“Kagome, we can't run! It's no use! We can't win if we run. I know this.” Her pleading eyes searched out the sad blue orbs of the miko.

Kagome responded by pulling the nephilim into her arms and they embraced in a tight understanding. Their final hour was quickly approaching and no matter how they tried to delay it, it would happen. Her fears absolved and she studied Misery before pulling the other girl up. Together they stood facing the others who awaited their final decision.

“Fuck that prick. This ends now!” The uncharacteristic rage poured from the miko as the foul words hissed out of her mouth. Turning she half dragged Misery to the door.

“Where the hell are you going wench?” Inuyasha called after her, still beside himself at her sudden fierce display.

Kagome paused at the door to look back at him before giving a brilliant smile to the girl beside her, without another world she turned and disappeared out the door. Misery was left to explain. She stared at them all before a malicious smile spread across her face. Her eyes settled over Sango's form.

“Lock and load baby!”

X-X-X-X-X

Misery hustled down the hallway to catch up to the enraged miko. She slowed her stride when she had came alongside the other girl.

“This ends now Misery, I'm tired of running.” Kagome growled as she made her way to her room. She quickly ran in grabbing her battle clothes and crossbow before meeting the other at the door. Sango came bolting down the hall when Kagome was gathering her own stuff. The taijiya was quick to gather her gear before following the pair to the lab. Misery punched in her security codes; the group of females entered the area and began preparing themselves. Misery retrieved her own suit and in a matter of minutes the girls were suited up in their specially designed body armor.

“Let's break into those reserves.” Sango offered as she belted her holsters around her hips and tightened the strings around her thighs that held them in place.

The lab doors flung opened and four very angry men strode in. Shippo blocked the door in case any bolted as the two inu growled with feral rage.

“What in Kami do you think to accomplish?” Miroku hollered at the three.

“We can't sit idle while he stalks the city. Kami knows who he's hurting!” Kagome retaliated.

“So you think that thrusting yourselves unknowingly into battle is going to solve matters? Have you all lost your minds?” The monk challenged them knowing that their rash behaviour would lead them into trouble.

“Miroku? Are you suggesting that we run?” Sango had placed both her hands on her hips as she confronted the man.

“No! I am suggesting you stop being so hasty and let us develop a plan!” He grabbed her by the arm and began to forcibly remove her from the room.

“Unhand me Miroku, I will not abandon the others.” She screamed as she was restrained in his arms and dragged to the door.

“Although your loyalty is admirable Sango you need not fear. Kagome and Misery are not going anywhere.” The rest of their argument went unheard as he hauled her kicking and screaming back to his quarters.

“Dammit Kagome, you're practically delivering yourself to that bastard.” Inuyasha began once the monk and taijiya had been removed.

“But HE'S out there, likely killing and destroying for some sick pleasure. I have friends in the city Inuyasha! They could be in trouble!” She screamed in desperation at him.

“Kagome's right!” Misery braced herself for the oncoming assault. “This is our chance to take him out!”

“I don't care what you two think, this ends now!” Inuyasha made a quick move only to have Kagome throw up a barrier between them.

“No!” Kagome breathed the word but refused to look at her mate. She knew that this was wrong but the aggression she had felt was not vanishing. She needed to vent her frustrations and Cernonnus was the best target.

“Don't do this Kagome.” His soft voice quietly reached out to her. Miraculously breaking through the clouded vision of her rage. It broke her concentration slightly causing her barrier to falter. He had her over his shoulder before she knew what had hit her removing her from the room. He ignored her foul mouth and painful punches as her carried her towards their quarters.

Misery was left staring as her two allies were removed, slightly unnerved by the lack of their support she eyed up the two youkai. Their youki surged and she found the act too threatening. Instincts took over and she unsheathed her two short blades. The strong youki caused her to panic and she was swallowed into a blackness of fear and desperation.

Sesshoumaru noticed her eyes glaze over when he released his youki. When she pulled her blades and the scent of her fear grew heavy in the air, he realized his mistake. Hard steel eyes pierced his own as he made a slow movement. Misery moved to position her body in a ready stance, watching his moves intently.

“Misery?” Shippo called out, before he withdrew his youki. His voice would not reach the terrified girl. He tuck a step forward only to have her lash out with her swords. She caught him on the arm with one blade drawing a thin trail of blood. He moved away from her, but in doing so left the door wide open. Noticing a chance for escape, she fled from the area as fast as her feet would carry her.