InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Haunted and Hunted ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Thank you wbk, angel-up-above-heaven, Parseltongue, CatLover260, Chanda, psyco chick32, SistersGrimm, karei uchiha, Black and Bloodied Rose, kmoaton, and Inuyashalover94 for all the great reviews. Please hang in there as I will be revising some chapters in the next day or so!

Bouquet of Lilies for Kokoronagomu!


Haunted and Hunted

By the time Inuyasha had reached their room Kagome had ceased her name calling and flaying. She was still thrown over her hanyou's shoulder, his hand securing her at her bottom. Her temper had failed to dissipate but her throat was hoarse from screaming. Hoping she had hurt his ears was the only thing that kept her from breaking down in a fit of tears. A quick movement of the shoulder and a resounding thud sounded as he reached the room and kicked the door in. He made haste slamming the door shut and then threw her none to gently on the bed.

“Fuck woman you damn near made me deaf!” He scowled at her as he rubbed his ears.

“Then I guess you should have let me go!” She tried to scream back but her throat was simply too sore.

“You really have lost your mind wench.” He settled against the headboard and rested one arm against the knee had propped up.

“What about Eri, Ayumi and everyone else?” Her resolved cracked somewhat and her lip began to quiver.

“What about you dammit? Do you have any idea what he'll do to you if he gets his filthy hands on you?” He growled back.

“I'm the one who has to stop him! I promised Mom and Souta!” She could barely fight the tears but she managed to keep her voice steady.

“Your promise won't mean shit if he has you opening the gates of the other dimension with Misery.” He's voice was cold and hard.

Kagome only turned away from him vibrating with anger and trembling with despair. She bottled the sob that threatened to escape but the tears finally began falling. The harder she tried to stop them the more they seemed to fall. She gritted her teeth when Inuyasha's arms pulled her back against him. Vulnerable was not what she wanted to be at the moment so she gave one last attempt to keep hold of the rage that burned inside.

“Let me go!” She hissed trying to pull away only to have his vice like grip quell any movement.

“Don't fight me anymore Kagome.” He whispered gently in her ear. Her pain and suffering was crushing him and making it hard for him to breathe. “You can be afraid, you can be angry and upset. Just don't take it out on me. Don't take it out on yourself either.”

Kagome brought a hand up to her mouth in pure stubbornness as another sob threatened to sound. She bit her palm hard enough that she drew blood in a desperate attempt to find solace in the pain.

“Dammit Kagome calm down!” He wrestled her hand away from her to inspect the damage. Moving quickly he flipped her around effectively pinning her body with his own. This new position allowed him to inspect her hand and more importantly her face. Her blue eyes filled with a churning mix of raw emotions stung his soul when he stared down at her.

“Why are you doing this to yourself?” He was afraid his voice would fail him when he saw her looking so crushed.

“I can't take it anymore Inuyasha. This was a duty thrust onto my shoulders not one I chose. I finally understand why Kikyo wished to become a normal woman. It's so hard just watching as others suffer and know that it's all because of you. It's going to happen again, don't you see?” She pleaded.

“What's going to happen?” He was puzzled at her train of thought. Was she worried about another battle, tainting the jewel, or possibly betraying him? What?

“I'm going to cause more death and destruction. Those close to me aren't safe. Cernonnus... if he finds out who my friends are he'll use them to get to me. They'll die because of me! Just the same as Mama and Souta. Their sacrifice is the same as Kohoku's and Daearen's. I can't handle it if that happens. What if we loose Sango or Miroku? What if we loose Shippo, Sesshoumaru or Missy?” The sob broke free and she hiccuped out her next words. “What if I lose you?”

Inuyasha rolled off her and gathered her close as she cried her heart out. How could they have been so bind? Cernonnus knew that those humans wouldn't be able to take the jewel. He was merely starting to mess with the minds of Kagome, Sango and Misery. He knew their fears and he played out his plan very carefully. The bastard was a cunning monster very adapt at toying with emotions. The oni hadn't even showed his face and he was already causing so much suffering.

He could feel his eyes beginning to burn with the red of his youki so he moved his hands slightly ensuring that Kagome would be unharmed when his claws lengthened. If he hadn't been worried about his miko, he was certain that he would have already been half way to Tokyo by now. That bastard would pay for messing with his mate. Revenge would be cold, ruthless, and likely unjust but he cared not. His trembling mate in his arms was enough to assure him that it would be worth it.

A sharp knock on the door pulled him away from sinister thoughts. Wrapping the distraught miko tightly in the covers he left the bed to see who it was. Opening it he found an injured kitsune staring bleakly back at him. Not wishing to make matters worse for Kagome, he stepped into the hall and shut the door behind him.

“What the hell happened to you?” He began staring at the cut on the Shippo.

“I don't know it all happened so fast. You left with Kagome and Misery freaked out!” The kitsune was a nervous wreck.

“Slow down runt and tell me what happened.”

“Sesshoumaru and I flared our youki when you were gone to make Misery cease her fury. The force behind our combined youki must have been too much for her. She lost it and her instincts put her into fight and flight mode. When I approached her she lashed out. I don't think she even knew who I was!” He trembled and leaned against the wall for support.

“Cernonnus pulled another one on us. The human thieves were just a reminder to the girls that he was getting closer. He's been subtly messing with their emotions. Kagome's a friggen mess in there.” Inuyasha explained.

“Shit. Ask her if she's been having dreams. That's how he reaches Misery. Sends her all sorts of nasty nightmares.” Shippo growled at the thought of Cernonnus being so subtle this time. The evil beast likely knew that sending nightmares would sound the alarm so maybe he was pushing subtle images to them and allowing their fear to aid in his plans. “Inuyasha, I don't think he's been sending nightmares. Just ask her if she has been feeling a great deal of negative energy in her dreams.”

Inuyasha understood where he was getting at and nodded in agreement. This did not help matters if the beast was infiltrating their sleep. He wondered how it was possible.

“How can he do that Ship?”

“Blood. He created a talisman using Misery's blood after he attacked her. It gives him a mental connection to her when she is in her most vulnerable state. It's black magic.” Shippo began.

“Well then how did he get Kagome's blood?” Inuyasha scoured over the possibilities when it finally dawned on him. “Shit, the attack in the meadow. The sword that cut her back.”

“Then if he has her blood it is likely he has Sango's as well. That's why they all were overcome! That bastard!” Shippo punched the wall trying to rid the anger that was threatening to consume him.

“Where's Sesshoumaru and Misery? They need to know this!” Inuyasha was worried about the implications of this kind of mind control.

Shippo's eyes lit with anguish. He shook his head in dismay and Inuyasha felt his heart race as he awaited the obviously bad news.

“After she cut me she ran out the door.” He whispered.

“Sesshoumaru will catch her! He's faster than her anyway.” Inuyasha tried to reassure himself but understood by Shippo's reluctance that it wasn't that simple.

“She used the hiding spell. The same one she uses to stay hidden from Cernonnus.” The kitsune practically whimpered the next statement. “Misery used it against us Inuyasha. We can't sense her anywhere.”

The hanyou just rubbed his eyes trying to get a grasp on the situation. It was likely Sesshoumaru was in a fit of rage at the moment but he needed to know about Cernonnus' attack. Cringing at what he was about to do he spoke sternly to the kitsune.

“Shippo, take Kagome to Miroku and Sango. Inform them of what you know. Make sure they don't try and leave. Keep Kagome safe for me until I return. I'm going to find Sesshoumaru and we'll find Misery.” He made sure to try and sooth the young youkai's nerves. “We'll get her back Shippo, I promise.”

Returning to the room he hastily pulled on the body armor the missing girl had hand tailored for him. Tucking Tetsusaiga neatly at his side and tying the holster for Retribution he paused to give Kagome a fierce kiss.

“Shippo will take you across to Miroku and Sango. He has much to tell you. Promise me Koishii that you'll be here when I return.” He held her fiercely.

“But what's going on? Inuyasha?” Her worried voice made his senses fire.

When he pulled back he could see his red eyes reflecting in her pale blue ones. Giving her an authoritative growl he was pleased when she tilted her head and exposed her neck. Dipping he breathed deep her scent and trailed kisses up the soft flesh.

“Koi promise me.”

Kagome could hear the desperation in his voice and bowed to his wishes. She pulled him in in for another kiss before answering.

“I promise.” Her words had barely been spoken when he turned and fled the room. She was met at the hall by an agitated kitsune. She watched as her mate disappeared down the hall before taking the hand Shippo offered and following him into the monk's room.

X-X-X-X-X



They were tracking her, she could feel an ominous presence approaching. Her fear had been alleviated somewhat by the fresh air and her ability to leave the overwhelming youki in the dust. Her limbs ached and were beginning to falter from the exertion she was placing on them. She had been running for some time and had no idea what direction she was going or even from what she had been fleeing. Scanning the area she tried to find markers of any sort that would give away her location. Pulling herself to the top of a hill, she collapsed behind a rock formation. Confident of being safely out of sight she took a moment to allow her heart to slow and her mind to calm. The presence she felt wasn't closing in fast so she grasped the opportunity to rest.

What had happened to cause her such distress? Remembering the meeting she recalled how Kagome, Sango and she had prepared to hunt Cernonnus. Then she could recall the other two being removed from the lab after that a feeling anxiousness as if something was trying to smother her. Blackness followed. Now here she was in the middle of god knows where, completely exhausted and preparing to face something that was headed her way. At least she had been wearing her battle fatigues, they would protect her from any youkai attack. Being oni herself she had not been able to embroider her suit with all the Gaelic incantations. If a suit like the ones designed for the three humans reacted when she was in it, she would be fried just like any other oni. She had taken great care with developing her armor and the youkai armor for those reasons. So with it on she was safe from youkai attack but still susceptible to oni. The knowledge left her both relieved and frightened at the same time.

Pulling her two swords out to inspect them before the battle, she was hit with a sickening sensation when she saw blood already marring one of the beautiful blades. Searching her memories she tried to place where she had struck someone but the answer avoided her. This was not good. What had she done? Was someone hurt or even dead because of her? Quickly cleaning the blade of any traces of blood she sheathed the two short swords to her hips. Standing she peered over the rocks and was startled at what she saw. The setting sun and darkening landscape made the twinkling lights of Tokyo shine like a light beacon on the ocean. She hadn't realized that she had fled so far from the manor. She was in Cernonnus' territory now. Crawling to stand upon the taller of the rocks she again scanned the area.

The surge of akki and slight movement in the distance scared her as sheperched upon her rock. She had a good idea now of what was coming her way. If she was already this deep in his territory then he had sent his hounds. Pulling her swords back from their sheaths she prepared for the demonic creatures that made her blood run cold. She had been chased by them once before but she was willing to bet there would be more than just one. Cernonnus would be sure to be following at their heels as well. Her options were limited. Her body was too tired to run so she made the grim realization that she would not reach the protection of Sesshoumaru in time. Unable to run and without the protection she had bound herself to, it was simply a matter of waiting and trying to fight them off.

X-X-X-X-X

Inuyasha leaped from tree to tree weaving his way through the side hills and forest carefully following the scent of his brother. When he hit the peak of the next hill he smirked in realization of what Sesshoumaru was tracking. Her scent had been masked by the illusion, but now he could clearly smell something nasty heading towards them. Sesshoumaru the sly dog was tracking the very beasts that had honed their senses on Misery. He just hoped that they reached the girl before Cernonnus. He took full advantage of his newfound speed and burst towards the taiyoukai in a barely distinguishable flash of black and silver.

He caught up to Sesshoumaru as the youkai paused to scan the surroundings likely in another attempt to catch the scent of his mate.

“Inuyasha.” His cold voice rang in the hanyou's ears.

“Thought you could use some help.” He grinned still growing accustomed to the idea of willing fighting beside his brother.

“This Sesshoumaru needs no one!” The taiyoukai growled confident in his ability to reclaim his missing mate.

“Cut the crap Sesh, this is important to all of us. You haven't battled Cernonnus yet. Who knows what we're up against?” He asserted his own authority on his elder brother.

“She is my mate! I will find her.” He shot the hanyou a look that would have frozen most.

“She's also a member of the pack which makes her my concern as well.” He grunted in reply not willing to back down. “Cernonnus has been manipulating the girls. The human thieves were just a trigger. You're aware of Misery's nightmares? Shippo said that his connection to her is born from a spell he cast using her blood from centuries ago. We suspect he has Sango's and Kagome's blood from the battle and was fueling their anger. That is why they acted so out of character.”

Sesshoumaru was about to speak again when his head snapped around. Inuyasha could feel the akuma lunging with new enthusiasm.

“They've found her!” Sesshoumaru growled before racing in the direction of the akki.

X-X-X-X-X

“Shippo? How could he possibly be sending up messages and feelings? I've been sleeping like I normally do.” Sango looked skeptically at the kitsune.

Miroku was looking somewhat worse for wear when they had first arrived, but he was quickly recovering from the wrath of the taijiya. Kagome had been glad that they had arrived when they had. Sango was well on her way to skinning the monk.

She took the moment to think quietly about her own feelings and experiences lately. It seemed that neither Sango or she had been having nightmares as Shippo had suggested but she had been waking feeling melancholy since the battle. Thoughts of her mother and brother had plagued her mind when she was alone or falling asleep. Could that be it?

“Sango have you been reliving memories of Kohoku and your family lately?” She interrupted the other's conversation.

“Why do you ask?” Sango gave her a confused look then a sudden flicker of awareness flooded her eyes. “Is that even possible?”

“What are you two getting at?” Miroku had noticed the exchange and demanded an answer.

“I've been remembering my family and the events surrounding their deaths multiple times in the days since the battle. I had up until now been at peace with their passing.” Kagome explained.

“So he's been doing it. Sneaky and quietly but spreading seeds of despair no less.” Shippo slouched into his chair as his head pounded with renewed vigor.

“What of Sesshoumaru, does he know of this?” Sango asked.

“That's where Inuyasha went. Misery ran off. Cernonnus is likely hot on her heels by now.” Shippo went on to retell how the trouble had developed.

“This is my fault!” Kagome gasped. “If I hadn't jumped to conclusions and been so angry then she'd still be here!” A fresh wave of tears hit and she instantly wished her hanyou was there to comfort her.

“Kagome-sama. Do not put this on your shoulders. We are against a truly formidable evil. I have faith that Sesshoumaru-sama and Inuyasha will reach her in time.” Miroku offered in comfort.

Kagome retreated to stare out the window anxiously awaiting any sign of the return of the three. Sango joined her and entwined an arm with hers. Together they searched into the fading light and creeping darkness for their family.

“Sango, are we strong enough to honour our family?” Kagome suddenly whispered as she waited for her mate.

“What do you mean?” Sango asked still wrapped up in her own guilt for Misery's disappearance.

“I felt so strong before when I was overcome with rage. Now I feel the opposite. He terrifies me. I was chosen to be the protector of the jewel. The one who saves this world from the evil that threatens to consume it.” Her eyes misted as she looked longingly out the window. “I'm just a girl. I was a normal high school girl when I was fighting Naraku. I'm still just a girl. Why was I chosen? What if I can't do it?”

“Only the Kami know the reasons for such things Kagome. Perhaps this was a test of our resolve. Believe in yourself Kagome. We do.”

“Strong words Sango, but I don't really feel better. I need Inuyasha with me. This whole experience has left me lost. He's the only one that grounds me Sango. Without him I am nothing.” She returned to stare out the window.

Sango returned to find solace in the arms of her monk and left Kagome keeping vigil by the tall window. The miko sighed as she pressed her forehead against the cold pane of glass.

Inuyasha, come back to me. Don't leave me alone. Be safe my love. Be safe.”

X-X-X-X-X

They were close, she could hear the heavy breathing of the beasts as they surrounded her. Cold red eyes peered through the overgrown shrubbery taking in her shaking form. Misery gripped her short blades with determination and gathered what little was left of her strength to prepare for battle. This wasn't going to be easy but she wasn't going to give in without a fight. The cracking of branches behind her signaled that the offensive had begun. Crouching and swinging around she caught the first one of Cernonnus' evil hounds slicing a death blow through its chest. The animal fell behind her gurgling in protest as it drew its last breath. Two more rushed from the bushes and although she managed another killing hit to the first, the second came from behind and locked its massive jaws around her shoulder. Sinking to her knees under the weight she pulled one blade in front of her and with a quick flick of the wrist had repositioned it. A forcible thrust along her side sent the sword slamming deep into the animals flesh. It released her shoulder but did not go down.

Fire burst through her shoulder as the shock of the attack wore off. She used one of the swords to help her stand and once again upright she braced her feet for another attack. Her wounded shoulder was losing blood and the strength in that arm was dissipating rapidly. She needed to wrap things up fast, but she didn't know how many of the hounds had been released. Silently she cursed her oni blood wishing instead to be fully human. At least then the armor could have been trimmed with the incantations for barriers. His hounds could never touch her then. Unfortunately she had been cursed with oni blood and a destiny to wreak havoc on the world. She laughed then at the irony of her name. Her parents must have known of her fate for they had certainly chosen an appropriate name. A grim smile graced her face with her next thought. Fate could be altered. Should Cernonnus arrive and there was no hope of escape she vowed she would turn her father's blades on herself. For in her death, she would ensure the safety of the world and the lives of her new family. It was a sacrifice she was more than prepared to make. Misery may be her name but she was not about to inflict her destiny on a world of innocents.

A growl from beside her brought her back into the battle. As the beast lunged and she responded by dropping and used her feet and its momentum to thrust him over. Rolling to a crouching position she launched an offensive attack taking down two more in the process. Perspiration trickled down her dirty face and stung her eyes, her breathing was becoming laboured and every muscle burned. Her focus was failing and she was blinking rapidly trying to distinguish the movements of the oni hounds that approached.

“Impressive Misery!” His malicious voice caused even his own hounds to vibrate in fear.

Her head whipped around and she caught the first sight of the man who had haunted her for years. He closed the distance looking quite smug as he offered her a single red rose. She was frozen as her heart had seemingly stopped in recognition of him.

“Mmm, I missed you darling. It's been far... too... long... LOVE!” He deliberately drew out the greeting relishing the way every syllable made her cringe.

X-X-X-X-X