InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Rewriting Destiny ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: My apologies! I will be without Internet for a few weeks so I'm afraid there will be no updates for a little while. I will have the opportunity to write, so I promise multiple updates when I return!

Thank you to Kryptoinuyasha, wbk, angel-up-above-heaven, Parseltongue, Catlover260, Psyco chick 32, InuKeo, SistersGrimm, and Black and Bloody Rose for the great reviews.

Bouquet of Daisies for Kokoronagomu!



Rewriting Destiny

Misery willed her heart to stop racing as Cernonnus crouched in front of her slouched form. She had faced him before and she knew that she could do it again. Her eyes turned to hard steel as she locked them with his sparkling baby blues. Time had not changed him greatly. His brilliant blonde hair was now cut short and his face was still as handsome as she remembered. His finely tailored clothes perfected his image of a well bred English noble. She had seen past his pretty exterior and knew all too well the beast that lurked behind those sparkling eyes.

“It's been a long time love. I missed you.” He smiled before kissing the rose he had brought. He reached over and grabbed her uninjured arm. Wrapping her fingers around the stem he closed her fist with brutal strength.

“Not long enough!” She spat back.

“You think that I should have stopped trying right? But then again there is no denying how much I love you princess. You should not have run Misery for I won't show mercy on you now!” He glared at her and she could see the lust and anger that was coming to the surface.

“I should have stopped believing that I could out run you Cernonnus. This ends now!” She struggled only to have him restrain her with an arm against her neck and chest.

“I have been waiting so long for you.” Ignoring her desire to fight, he purred leaning in to whisper the words against her skin.

“You disgust me!” She shoved him hard and brought her sword around to strike him. He moved in time to avoid much of the blow but she smiled in success when a thin trail of blood began to flow from his cheek.

In a flash she felt him wrap a cold hand around her throat and lift her clear off the ground. Then her body was pushed roughly against the rough surface behind her. The wind was knocked from her lungs and she dropped both swords in an attempt to pry the hand from her throat.

“Now Misery! What kind of a way is that to show the man of your dreams your love for him.” He smirked evilly as he watched her struggle for air. Finally he loosened his grip and let her toes touch the ground still keeping her mostly suspended and restrained with in his unyielding grip.

“Would you mind if I killed you? Would you mind if I tried?” She whispered through her severely bruised throat.

“Now why would you want to do something like that Misery?” He smiled again after feigning a look of hurt and rejections.

“Because bastard, you have turned into my worst enemy. You betrayed me!” She tried to scream but the words came out as a hoarse whisper. “You've created the hate that I feel!”

He smiled innocently at her before bringing a small knife out of his pocket. Using his free hand he slashed her chest only showing a slight frown when the first layer of leather opened to reveal the bullet proof armor. Not to be deterred he checked the garment and finally smiled as he began to slice the sides of her leather top open, not caring about the cuts he was inflicting on her skin.

“Theres a curse between us my sweet. You are mine for all eternity Misery. Never forget that.” He held her closely then and laughed wickedly in her ear. A quick slice over her shoulders and a fierce tug on the leather and he ripped the back sheet of armor left the remains of her top clinging to her arms and chest. “I think its time to finish what we started those years before.”

Lifting her high again he assaulted her with a fierce kiss that drew blood when he nipped her lips viciously. Her skin felt like it was crawling as he trailed his knife and hand over her bared flesh. Heated anger rose inside her with the bile ascending in her throat giving her the strength for one last attempt to free herself. She brought her knee up with as much power she could muster and then kicked forward catching him on his thigh. He let out a curse before backhanding her, sending her sprawling once again. She cried out in pain as her bruised body made contact with a boulder. Lifting her upper body she crawled towards her dropped swords. Stretching her fingers she felt the hilt of one blade only to have it ripped from her grasp when Cernonnus knelt on her back. His hand fisted in her hair and mercilessly snapped her head back then he traced the sharp edge of his blade over her throat.

“Enough!” An ominous voice growled . “You will be mine Misery. You will open the gates and then take your rightful place as queen of my courts. Your destiny is mine to control. I claimed you as mine the day your darling mother sacrificed herself.”

She closed her eyes ignoring the burning tears that tried to escape. It was over. She would not be able to escape him now. Cursing at not having the time to turn her own blades on herself she mumbled a short prayer for the world she would destroy.

“What?” Cernonnus' stunned voice echoed and she heard the clash of steel on steel as her head was dropped and the weight on her back vanished.

“Never again touch what is mine!” The familiar voice growled some where near her.

Blinking her eyes she saw a flash of silver before Cernonnus' form blocked her view. More sounds of steel sounded when she was suddenly pulled up. The friendly smile of Inuyasha greeted her as he moved her out of the battle. Carefully he set her against a tree at the edge of the clearing. She watched in awe as Sesshoumaru gracefully assaulted her nemesis.

“What have you done?” Cernonnus suddenly ducked the taiyoukai's attack and lunged at her. His eyes blazed with rage as he questioned her. “You are mine! Why has another come for you? Have you fell so low to be this dog's whore?”

Inuyasha stepped between her and the beast to prevent anymore harm from coming to the broken girl. Leveling his sword he braced for the oncoming attack not expecting what happened next. Cernonnus dived again to launch himself over the edge of the small cliff. Sesshoumaru and he ran to watch the oni fall only to sprout black wings and lift himself high above them.

“Be waiting for me love. I will come for you again! That's a promise.” He hissed before vanishing leaving only a streak of light trailing towards the city.

Inuyasha's face set in a grim expression as he watched the trail of phantom light vanish into the night. He turned his attention to Sesshoumaru who was sheathing his sword; eyes still fixed on Tokyo.

“He's powerful and talented with a sword. We are going to have our hands full.” He commented before turning his attention back to the pitiful girl at the clearing. “I'll meet you back at the manor.”
Inuyasha began to leave the two when he was stopped by Sesshoumaru's hard voice.

“Thank you.”

The hanyou took another moment to look back at his brother and nod in acceptance. He watched as the taiyoukai carefully approached the nephilim and then he began his trek through the forest towards his own mate.

X-X-X-X-X

“It's getting late Shippo. Do you think they'll return soon?” Kagome asked.

“I hope so Kagome.” The tired looking kitsune replied, still nursing his pounding head.

Kagome returned her gaze to the window and her eyes lit up when the familiar sight of silver camethrough the manor gates. She flew from the room and towards the main door. The others were close behind her when they realized what was happening. Kagome paused at the door to temporarily release the barrier that would allow her hanyou entrance. She threw herself at him and left a smirking monk to reinstate the barrier.

“Koi.” Inuyasha murmured in her ear as he wrapped his arms around her.

“You came back.” She whimpered.

“Always Kagome.”

“Inuyasha!” Shippo smiled as he greeted his friend.

“Don't worry runt. Sesshoumaru is with Misery and I suspect that they are not far behind.” He offered the kitsune but he was unable to accompany his words with a smile.

“How bad Inuyasha?” Shippo knew what the look had meant and he realized that she had not escaped harm.

“Cernonnus had sent some oni hounds after her. He found her before we reached her.” The hanyou cringed as gasps let out around him.

“How bad.” The kitsune lowered his voice and growled through gritted teeth.

“She was tore up from the hounds. Cernonnus had roughed her up pretty bad too. Just leave her to Sesshoumaru. I doubt he'll be letting anyone near her in her condition.”

“Thank you Inuyasha. It meant a lot to me that you went after them.” Shippo turned after that and retreated to the sanctity of his room.

“We will stay and let them through the barrier Inuyasha. Take Kagome-sama and get some rest.” Miroku offered.

“Thanks Miroku.” Inuyasha pulled his miko close and began leading her to their room. He lifted her into his arms when they rounded the first corner. Cuddling her like a child he placed light kisses on her forehead.

Tonight had been a sobering experience. He admired his brother greatly for being able to remain calm on the battlefield. If he had arrived and found Kagome similar shape with that bastard kneeling on her and holding a blade to her throat, he would have lost it for sure. Sesshoumaru had taken the appropriate action and drew the enemy out and away from his mate. What troubled him the most was Cernonnus' ability to avoid the viscous blows of the taiyoukai. Tonight's preview had left him feeling cold. It would take all of them in unison to best the creature.

Reaching their dwellings, he carefully shut the door behind him and moved to cuddle his mate on the bed. He held her as tight as he could without hurting her as he recalled the monster that they currently fought against. A shiver erupted and traveled the length of his spine when he thought of the torment Misery had been through. He prayed to the Kami that his Kagome would be safe from Cernonnus. Now that the beast knew where they were and had forged a method of reaching the girls, it was only a matter of time before the final battle would occur.

“Inuyasha?” Kagome whispered from his hard embrace. “Are you alright?”

“He's a monster Kagome. I don't want you near him.” He allowed her to move so she was sitting on him, but he would not relinquish his hold on her.

“It's alright. You'll keep me safe.” She smiled reassuringly to him.

“How can I keep you safe from a monster that can assault your mind?” He whimpered.

“There has to be a way. We can't give up.” She reached out to cup his face with her palm.

“But Kagome you didn't see him. He was easily dodging Sesshoumaru's attacks. Then he jumps off a cliff and sprouts wings only to vanish in a split second leaving a trail of light as the only indication of the direction he went.” He brought a hand up to brush the bangs from his eyes before resting his head on the headboard.

“This is odd. Where's my hanyou who runs head on into battle not caring about the odds he's up against?” She gave him a brave smirk before tousling his hair.

“It's different now Koi.” His hand left his head to rest on her stomach. “What if you're with pup?”

Kagome almost started laughing at his expression but she held her tongue so that she wouldn't upset him. So now he was all protective because of the chance of pregnancy. She figured she should set the record straight.

“Don't worry about that Yash.” She rested her hand over his on her stomach. “I'm on birth control.”

He questioned her by simply raising and eyebrow and looking confused.

“Medicine that keeps me from getting pregnant. I don't want to have any children until we can guarantee that Cernonnus has been destroyed.” She smiled watching the play of emotions that ran over his face while he took in the new information.

“Just until after Cernonnus is destroyed though right? After you still want to...” He was suddenly worried that she didn't want to have children with him.

Kagome was quick to understand the question and caught his face between the palms in a gesture of reassurance.

“Inuyasha, I can't wait to start a family of our own. I just don't want our child threatened by anyone after the jewel. It is simply too dangerous right now.” she wiggled seductively over his hips and smiled when his eyes clouded over with desire. “Besides, think how much fun it's going to be developing your technique!”

“Oi wench!” He growled as he flipped the giggling miko onto her back. He flexed his claws teasingly and gave her a mischievous wink. “I want to see what you have on under all this leather.”

Kagome squealed in delight as she tried to playfully elude his nimble fingers. In seconds he had unfastened all the clips that held the battle armor on her. Moments later they were forgetting their fears, doubts and worries as they basked in their own sea of pleasure.


X-X-X-X-X


Sesshoumaru crouched beside Misery his fingers on fire with the need to touch her. He wanted to inspect every inch of her skin and clean every injury inflicted upon her only holding back in fear of startling her more. She looked so pitiful then as she looked up at him. The scent of her blood sickened his stomach as it assaulted him in waves rolling off her tiny form. With the back of her battle suit missing he could see the bite marks on her shoulder and grimaced at the blood and bruising that covered the area. A thin trail of blood trickled from her nose and mouth as more evidence of the assault on her body. He could see the cuts on her flesh left behind from Cernonnus' careless removal of her armor.
What enraged him the most was the malicious bruising around her throat. He knelt in front of her and offered her his hand in assistance.

“You came.” Her hoarse whisper was his undoing and he gathered her in his arms. Protectively her cradled her trying with all his might to provide comfort for her.

Misery had been shocked to see him defending her from Cernonnus. He had promised her before, but a part of her had refused to believe that he would follow through. Here he was though whispering words of comfort and holding her safely in his arms. Cernonnus had fled from this man. She had bound Sesshoumaru to her and he had came to her aid. She knew from that moment on that he was worthy of her trust and respect. She relaxed fully in his arms and let him gently prob her lesions.

“Does anything feel broken?” He asked finally after gently inspecting the bite marks on her shoulder.

She could only shake her head in answer. Her body was sore, but she was sure nothing was broken. Her eye caught the bright red of the rose that had been crushed during the fight. Remembering the feel of Cernonnus' kiss she brought her hand up to roughly rub her lips. Tears formed as she struggled to scrap the feeling and memory from her mouth. A gentle hand stopped her when her lips became swollen and she reopened the cut.

“He kissed me. That bastard kissed me.” She half sobbed trying to swallow the bile that threatened to rise again.

Sesshoumaru growled in remembrance of the wicked oni. His scent covered Misery and it was all Sesshoumaru could do to keep himself from claiming his mate there and licking away every reminder of the oni touch. He looked lovingly down into the liquid pools of silver and gently brought a hand to tip her chin.

“I will remedy that for you.” He moved slowly not wanting to scare her. Tenderly he cleaned away the blood on her lip with his tongue before lightly pressing his lips to hers. He was surprised when she sobbed and greedily clung to him increasing the intensity of the kiss.

“Make it go away.” She whimpered when he pulled away. Tears flowed freely as she cried out. “I can feel his hands all over me! Make it stop. Please take me home.”

Not hesitating any longer he swept her into his arms and made a mad dash for the estate. He would heal her body and mind once they were safely under the miko's and monk's barrier. He arrived at the ancient estate shortly afterwards and was greeted by a distressed taijiya and monk. He kept Misery protectively from their gaze and once he was assured that the barrier was in place he whisked her away to the privacy of his chambers.

“I will run you some water.” He set her on the floor in the bathroom and covered her shaking form with a towel. He kept his nose trained on her paying close attention to any fear that might develop. Shaken as she was he was surprised when she hadn't cringed or fought him at all. With the warm water filling the large tub he went to work gathering soap, towels, and the first aid kit. When the water reached an acceptable level he turned once again to Misery.

“Do you require assistance removing the armor?” He kept his voice even and detached making it as impersonal as he could. He wished to appear professional because he suspected after her ordeal she would feel humiliated by undressing before him.

Misery stared at Sesshoumaru and considered her options. Her muscles were already beginning to stiffen and it would be difficult to remove the tattered remains of the garment. She was not yet ready to be so naked and vulnerable in his eyes so she decide to try herself before requesting his assistance.

“I'll try.” She muttered and was thankful when he turned around to give her privacy.

A few attempts later and she began crying in frustration as she fought with the buckles on her clothing. Again gentle hands settled on her from behind and began to tentatively loosen the fasteners. He offered her a towel to cover herself with as soon as the top fell off. She accepted it gratefully and closed her eyes when his arms settled around her waist. He slipped one hand through the towel and made fast work on the buttons of her pants. Removing his hand he allowed her to remain covered when he came to kneel front of her. Quickly he had her boots unlaced and guided her good hand to his shoulder so she could brace herself when he pulled each boot off. Next he pulled lightly on her pants and they came off from underneath her towel. Scooping her up he deposited her towel and all into the bath that awaited.

The warm water did wonders to sooth her. Sesshoumaru was ever the gentleman as he scrubbed away the dirt and blood with a wash cloth. When he was happy with her skin he began to massage her scalp as he washed her tangled hair. She let herself relax under his ministrations and enjoyed the sensations as he cleansed her hair. It was almost as if he had cleansed her soul as well. After being reunited with Cernonnus she wondered how she had ever compared Sesshoumaru to that monster.

She had been so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed how the water had cooled or when she had started shivering. Sesshoumaru moved beside the tub and offered her a huge towel; turning his head to the side when she stepped out. A brief smile touched her lips as she admired his thoughtfulness. Not once had he tried to sneak a peak at her and his actions were not going unnoticed. Wrapped snuggly in the towel she was soon swept off her feet and carried into the bedroom. Sesshoumaru sat her on the edge of the bed and brought out one on his shirts for her to wear.

“I did not wish to snoop through your belongings. I hope this will suffice for the night.” He offered her the shirt.

“Thank you. It will be fine.” She smiled again when he turned his face away and assisted her into the front closure shirt.

She managed to do up two buttons that closed the shirt over her cleavage and proceeded to stand. Sesshoumaru kept his eyes averted and helped her to her destination. When she began rifling through her underwear drawer she noticed a momentary blush cross his high cheek bones. He held her by her elbow while she fished her legs through the undergarment and wiggled her way into it. As soon as she was finished she again found herself being carried back to the bed. He laid her down and was about to leave when she caught him around the wrist.

“Please stay. He'll be coming tonight. Just like he has every night. Please don't leave me alone.” She breathed.

Accepting her offer he turned on the bedside lamp before moving around the room to shut off all the other lights. Disappearing into the bathroom he reemerged to join her dressed in a pair of sleep pants and carrying the first aid kit. Only when they were both settled did he begin another survey of her skin. He noticed that she hadn't closed the shirt fully and decided that it was because she was waiting for him to treat the trauma inflicted on her person.

“Are you comfortable with me dressing your wounds?” He asked her.

“Yes. I assumed you wished to do so since neither Kagome nor Sango have arrived.” She smiled slightly at him making his heart swell.

“I can handle your injuries if you will let me.” He hesitated until she granted him permission.

She rolled onto her stomach and he carefully pulled back the shirt that covered her hurt shoulder. The punctures from the hounds' teeth had stopped bleeding but they still looked red and angry. Unable to hold his own needs he bent over her and traced his tongue over one of the holes. She jumped instantly and he was soon cursing himself for his actions.

“My apologies Misery.” He mumbled ashamedly.

“It's alright. You just startled me.” She tilted her head so she could look at him. “It's natural for you isn't it.”

“Natural perhaps... but uncalled for. You have been through much tonight. I'm sorry.” He expressed his regret.

“Will you feel better if you've inspected me?” She understood the ache and concern that was in his eyes.

He nodded twice but made no move to do such. She rested her head once more and waited. When he sensed no anxiety over his intent he bent to taste her wounds once more. This time she did not tense or start from the movement and he understood it as consent. Moving over her he braced an arm on each side mindful to keep any weight off her. Meticulous in his attention he scrutinized every inch of her shoulder and then the thin cut left from Cernonnus' blade as he cut off the armor. Satisfied with those he covered the deeper punctures with sterile pads and tape.

Misery rolled onto her back and he pulled the blankets up to her waist. He watched her face intently as he moved the open edges of her shirt open. He traced a finger over the multiple slashes that marred her delicate skin. His head snapped up when a soft giggle fluttered to his ears.

“I'm ticklish!” She smiled.

“Really?” He cocked an eyebrow in amusement. She shied away from his touch when flicked his finger over the offending spot.

“No fair!” She warned but the twinkle in her eye remained.

Holding his hands up in defeat he offered her a warm smile. “My apologies once more Misery. I believe these are minor compared to your shoulder. I'll have them bandaged in no time.”

His fingers and tongue made quick work on both of her sides cleaning and covering the cuts. Finishing his doctoring he fastened the rest of the buttons on her shirt and tucked the blankets up around her.

“Do you wish for anything to ease the pain and aches?” He watched her again with intense eyes.

“I think I just wish to lie down.” Closing her eyes she remembered a question she had be waiting to ask him. “Sesshoumaru?”

“Yes.”

“Why did I run in the first place?” She popped open one eye to regard his reaction.

“I frightened you.” The simple response only fueled her curiosity.

“How?” She listened closely as the taiyoukai explained Cernonnus' subtle tampering to Kagome and Sango. By the time he had finished relating the incident in the lab she felt sickened once more.

“How badly did I hurt Shippo?” The tightness in her chest returned as she imagined the laceration she may have inflicted.

“Not badly.” He assured her.

A long moment of silence stretched between them ending when Misery turned to stare at him with sad eyes.

“I'm sorry.” A tear slipped from her eye.

“Why?” He was on his side leaning over her brushing away a rebellious strand of hair from her face.

“I compared you to Cernonnus. That was horrible of me. You're nothing compared to that monster.”

“Misery, you were frightened. You had every right to lash out at me. I just wish I had known more about your past.”

“It doesn't matter that I was frightened. You should never be mentioned in the same breath as him.”

Sesshoumaru sighed and wiped her tear away with the pad of his thumb. His arms ached to hold her; to comfort her.

“May I hold you?” He whispered slightly afraid of rejection.

“Please.”

Gathering her up in his arms he felt complete for the first time in his life. She was the very air he breathed. The blood that pulsed through his veins. When she spoke again he released his grip on her and relished the moment of carrying on a conversation in such an intimate setting.

“Thank you for coming for me.” Her weak smile and blush melted his heart and he was certain that he would never be the same. He gazed over her face in appreciation smiling openly at her until his eyes settled on the brutal bruising on her neck. Reaching out he traced a claw across one of the darkest areas.

“He won't do this again Misery.” He growled leaning in to kiss away her pain.

Engrossed in feathering his lips over her neck he almost missed the faint moan that escaped her lips. Afraid that he had hurt her he stopped his movement. Her hand snaked through his silver mane and held him in place.

“I want to trust you Sesshoumaru.” Her husky whisper did nothing to hide her feelings. “No. I do trust you.”

He thought his heart was going to burst with the swell of pride that her words elicited. He continued with much gusto kissing the pain of Cernonnus' stranglehold from her body. Thrilled with her response he changed his progression to move back towards her face. Dropping his lips to her chin lightly he finally settled on her mouth eagerly removing the last of the evil oni scent from her.

Reaching over and switching off the lamp with a free hand the taiyoukai continued to shower his mate with his affections. He continued until he could sense the fatigue finally claiming his mate. Tucking her into his body he was content to listen to her even breathing while she slept undisturbed by Cernonnus' nightmares.