InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Change ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Managed to get one more chapter updated before switching Internet providers. This will likely be the last for a week or two!

Thank you to catbaker, nabikineum, Black and Bloody Rose, SistersGrimm, InuKeo, Kmoaton, Patty530, angel-up-above-heaven, CatLover260, KryptoInuyasha, InuGoddess715, Wbk, and Parseltongue for the reviews.

Bouquet of Gerber Daisies for Kokoronagomu for editing my work!




Change


The warm body nestled next to her moved slightly when she jolted awake. A night terror had claimed her from her restful sleep. Bringing a hand up to hold over her racing heart, Kagome tried to shake the dreadful feeling in her soul.

“Kagome?” Inuyasha stirred from his sleep anxiously awaiting a response from the distraught miko.

“Cernonnus.” She replied unable to go into any detail at the moment.

“Bastard!” He cursed before pulling her into his arms. The faintest glow permeated the room signaling it was nearing dawn. “It's almost morning. Do you feel like getting up?”

“Sure.” She nodded. There was no way she would be able to get any rest now. Flipping the blankets off her she swung her legs over the edge. Sitting she propped her head up on her arms resting them on her knees. Still feeling exhausted from last night's events and their later rounds of 'practice' she wasn't happy about being woke up so shortly after falling asleep.

“Your family and the shrine?” Inuyasha asked as he brought her a glass of water and her robe.

“Yeah.” She smiled slightly as she accepted the water.

“We have to find a way to stop this. I don't like him being in your head.” He growled taking a seat beside her and pulling her into his lap.

“He's getting brave. This is the first nightmare he's fostered. I can't imagine what he's put Misery through.” She paused to take another sip of water. “I feel so dirty now. It's like he's touched me and yet I've never even seen him.”

Inuyasha could only growl in anger as her words stuck to rawest chord in his being. He pulled her closer and nuzzled his nose into her throat inhaling her scent in an attempt to quell his frustration. Silencing his vocal displeasure he listened intently to her once more.

“It was like I was reliving it again. I could feel everything. Smell everything. I swear I could even feel the youki and akki as the horde approached. Relived it, I may have Inuyasha but that doesn't change the fact that I have laid the matter to rest. What does he think to accomplish?”

“I imagine that it would be harder to remember the peace that you have found if you have to see it every time you fall asleep. You've seen Misery, Kags. Since she arrived in Tokyo she has hardly slept. Everyday she appears more exhausted and fragile. Shippo says that she'll go for days without sleep burying herself in her work in an attempt to forget her need for rest. He's trying to wear you down. A weak miko is much harder to beat.”

“I guess you're right.” She yawned thinking that the oni was already on the right track. She felt beat.

Shrugging her robe on she made her way into the living area and pulled open the blinds. The sun was just beginning to rise; faint streaks of light had begun decorating the night sky. Flicking on the television she found herself too distracted by her thoughts to pay any attention to the programming. Her hanyou offered her a light breakfast of fruit and cereal before joining her on the couch.

“Kagome.” The light voice broke through the commercial sending Kagome skidding into Inuyasha's lap. Finally seeing the glowing orb floating above the television she relaxed.

“Kami Midoriko-sama you scared me half to death!” She exhaled the breath she had been holding.

“My apologies Kagome.” The ancient miko laughed.

“Hey Midoriko, what's up with the early morning visit?” Inuyasha grumbled.

“Forgive me Inuyasha, I tried to come earlier but the loud... voices made me decide that perhaps I should wait.”

Kagome blushed deep crimson thinking about what the ancient would have floated in on earlier. Pushing her self embarrassment aside she faced the orb with new interest.

“Why the urgency Midoriko-sama?”

“I came about the blood tie Cernonnus has created with your conscious Kagome. It is of utmost importance that I break that bond as soon as possible. I have already done as much for Sango. With your permission I would like to begin.” The spirit explained.

“You can do that?” Kagome whispered in awe.

“Cernonnus practices spells and magic based on black principles much like the black priestess who attacked both Kikyo and yourself. We are the light Kagome. Now, you may feel a burning sensation when I sever the bond. It will only be uncomfortable. Shall we?”

“Yes Midoriko-sama I am ready.” Kagome went to stand in the middle of the room. Inuyasha watched with cautious eyes as the bright orb disappeared into his mates body.

Kagome could feel the warmth of Midoriko's spirit as she traveled into her body. Feeling oddly at the intrusion she waited for the heat that she had been warned of. A few seconds later she felt a fire ignite deep inside her and perspiration beaded on her brow. Then as suddenly as it had began it was over her leaving her feeling as if an immense weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Inuyasha was by her side grasping her waist as Midoriko removed herself.

“What was that all about?” She whispered thankful for the support of the strong arms around her.

“I used light to burn the connection that Cernonnus had created. He will be unable to reach you again.” Midoriko explained.

“That's incredible! You've already healed Sango too! Now you can heal Misery and we'll be one step ahead of that creep.” Kagome squealed with delight.

“I'm afraid not Kagome.” The ancient's sorrowful voice came. “It was imperative to sever the bond before it became permanent. Sango's and your own ties to the evil creature were freshly forged. I likely would have only had a day or two perhaps even just hours before it became irreversible.”

Kagome understood the implications of her words. “So you can't....”

“No. I'm sorry.”

“Poor thing.” Kagome's anguish was evident. “She'll never be freed from him will she.”

“I don't think so my dear.” Midoriko felt the miko's pain.

“Wait a minute.” Inuyasha suddenly interrupted. “What about her bond with Sesshoumaru? He's the most powerful youkai I know. Would his connection with her do anything?”

“I'm not sure Inuyasha. Only time will tell that.”

“Let's all pray to the kami for her sake that he can.” Kagome sighed taking what comfort she could from her own mate.

X-X-X-X-X

The following days past slowly for the group with each couple preferring to allow themselves some emotional healing time. One the third day since the attack Kagome and Sango decided to surprise their friend with tray of comfort food and a good romantic movie. Knocking on Sesshoumaru's door Kagome was greeted with a stoic taiyoukai who did not look at all impressed at their intrusion.

“My Lord.” Sango bowed in respect to the youkai.

“Hi Sesshoumaru. Do you think Misery is up to a visit yet?” Kagome smiled despite her instincts that were screaming for her to take flight.

He merely twitched an eyebrow and held his cool stare. Immobile and looking as frightening as his feudal days the girls were quickly slinking in the direction they had just come. A bright red flash appeared from behind his massive frame trying to push his unyielding body.

“Oh for god's sake Sesshoumaru! You can't keep me locked up forever!” Misery's voice was slightly muffled from behind him but the girls could see she was trying to make the youkai budge.

“Misery?” Kagome started only to be silenced by a death glare from Sesshoumaru.

“I said move!” The girl gave one final shove before Sesshoumaru quirked an eyebrow and looked down at her.

“Cease woman. This does not concern you.” His hard voice was so different from the modern Lord they had just finally adjusted to. It appeared that the outcome of the former situation had returned him to the man they had met five hundred years before. Every bit the arrogant warrior he had been.

“Oh bloody hell! Sango, Kagome! Just crawl between his legs or something. I'm bored! Hey, are those cookies?” The voice echoed behind the intimidating male.

“Missy are you sure?” Sango eyed Sesshoumaru skeptically.

“He won't eat you I promise. He's just been a tiny weeny protective since the other night.” The face of the girl suddenly appeared between his legs.

“So what.” His voice was emotionless as he remained unmoving.

She rolled her eyes before motioning them forward. Kagome stepped tentatively in her direction but she stopped a few feet before the door. Finally the youkai moved but growled menacingly as they entered.

“One hour. That is all you have. Do not be here when I return.” His icy stare left them shivering when he departed with all the majestic grace from days long past.

“Oh thank god you brought junk food! I swear he's been stuffing me with healthy crap continuously.” Misery squealed when she spotted her favorite. “You two are angels!”

Settling on the bed and popping in the movie the two watched as Misery attacked the snacks with gusto.

“How are you feeling?” Sango asked smiling at the girl who was elbow deep in popcorn.

“Better. Everything healed up nicely and I've been managing to have short naps here and there. I getting the worst itch to head to the lab but 'ole grumpy bones' won't let me leave.”

“He's changed back into the youkai we knew before. Back to cold, fierce and intimidating.” Kagome shivered thinking about it.

“I'm sorry that Cernonnus has developed a blood link.” The nephilim sobered.

“It's alright. Midoriko-sama removed the bond this morning. He can't reach us ever again. Not even with a new blood.” Sango offered a brave smile.

“She broke it!”

“Yes.” Sango's guarded eyes sought out Kagome's and after a brief confrontation she continued. “We asked Midoriko if she could help you. Unfortunately you bond is too old. We're sorry.”

“That's alright. I'm getting used to it. He only came to me this morning. I think Sesshoumaru must have made him weary of attempting anything right away. The few days of rest were wonderful. I guess it will be back to the 'same old' now.”

“Does it help having a mate bond with him?” Kagome asked thinking of Inuyasha's idea.

“I don't think so. This morning Sesh was already up and working when I had my nightmare. The fact that the beast still sent me a dream suggests I am still at his mercy. I wonder what will happen now.” She stared blankly at the screen before her.

“Only time will tell.” Sango mouthed quietly.

“How's Shippo?” Misery asked quietly.

“Fine. He wasn't injured badly Miss. Just a little scratch. It vanished completely before you even made it back.” The taijiya grasped her hand and squeezed in assurance.

“I feel awful. I could have really done some damage if I hadn't been so exhausted. I guess the lack of sleep and years without battle have been a blessing. Had that happened a century ago I'm certain it would not have ended so well.”

“Shippo told me that you two traveled a great deal then. What was it like?” Kagome asked anxious to change the subject.

“In the beginning it was tough. He would seek me out when he was taking breaks from his training. There was no phones or anything then so he had to do a pile of investigating before he could find me.” She smiled at the memory. “I guess that's why hes so good at reconnaissance now. When it became easier to send mail I would leave word for him at his temple. We always had some kind of connection. I always knew when he was trying to find me so I would leave clues. You must remember that I was always using an illusion spell to hide from Cernonnus.”

“Did he teach you to fight?” Sango was interested in the girls skills as she had never seen her fight. The two short blades were interesting to her. Not a blade style she was accustomed to.

“Partially I guess. My blades belonged to my father. They were forged by an old Celtic blacksmith centuries before I was even born.” She brought the swords over and handed one to each girl.

“They are beautifully decorated blades aren't they. They are much broader than the swords you are used to. Heavier and shorter as well. I trained with them as a child mostly watching the knights and copying their movements. After mother passed I wandered around the highlands and stumbled upon a lonely village far from any civilization. There I met an older man who took me in for the winter offering me shelter in return for my cooking and cleaning. He taught me my technique and the power behind the swords. I stayed with him for two years before the fever took him.”

Kagome and Sango were mesmerized by the girls tale. They could almost envision the village and her teacher as they held her short blades. Kagome hadn't intentionally brought up the topic but the way Misery was talking, she thought that the girl was trying to ease some of her suffering. They really knew so little about her background that the whole experience was very enlightening.

“Once I started traipsing across the continent with Shippo the two of us learned different styles of fighting from each country. We molded what we learned into our own unique style. Shippo prefers to use his tricks still. That boy's a lover not a fighter. We had some good summers together. We've been through every country in Europe. Every winter he would beg me to return with him to Japan, but I couldn't. I limited my time with him because I was certain that Cernonnus would kill him if he found out. I knew that I wasn't strong enough to protect him.”

“You said before that you lost contact with him until the time phones became common. What happened?” Kagome asked remembering the words from their first times together.

“As fate would have it Cernonnus found out about Shippo in the early 1800's. He blamed my friend for my ability to dodge him. His contractors where sent out to exterminate him. I had been sent a note from Ship telling me to meet him at a hidden valley in the Carpathian Mountains. When I arrived he was already being attacked. I felt so helpless. I didn't have any magic like he did to assist him. So I dived in with my two blades slashing the attackers from behind. We had been so terribly outnumbered. I made it to him only to have an oni lunge at me. Shippo pushed me aside and took the blade through his stomach. I've never been so horrified. It was the second time he save me. He looked at me with those beautiful eyes so full of love and kindness before he lost his footing and plunged over the edge.”

Kagome was crying now and Sango's face showed much the same emotion. They were shocked to hear about their kitsune being viciously beaten.

“What happened after he fell?” Kagome asked hurriedly.

“I jumped. I thought that it was the least I could do to repay him for the happiness he had brought to my life and the sacrifice he gave for me. I thought to join him in death. Then I would finally be freed from Cernonnus.”

“But you two made it. How?” Sango pondered the possibility.

Misery took the blades back and placed them neatly beside her. Should she tell them her secret? Could she trust them with her life? She already knew the answer but she still feared their reaction. Would they think her a freak? Sighing she continued giving them only enough information to end the story.

“We fell. I remember blackness and then we woke at the base of the cliff. Once Shippo was safe and healed I disappeared. I couldn't allow him to be in danger any longer. So I wandered by myself until about 1940. I send Shippo the odd letter letting him know I was alright but I didn't allow him to see me until about twenty years ago. He has suffered so much for me. Know I have repaid him by attacking him. He must hate me now.”

“Quite the opposite Miss. He's been worried to death over you. He realized something was wrong when you lashed out. The only person he is angry with is Cernonnus.” Kagome hugged her but was suddenly jolted by the menacing growl approaching her.

“Leave now!” Sesshoumaru growled sensing his mate's distress. He had known it was too soon for her to be over exerting herself. Although he did not blame the miko and taijiya he could not favor the interaction.

“I'll see you soon.” Misery hugged the two before they practically ran from the room.

“Rest now woman.” The taiyoukai hovered menacingly over her.

“Bully!” She mumbled as she crawled into bed and closed her eyes.

X-X-X-X-X



That evening Kagome had been devastated with the news that her lovable jii-chan had finally passed from this world. Though she had been prepared for his imminent death and had been comforted with the knowledge that he passed in his sleep. His death had still been difficult to take but she was not resigning herself to be once again buried in anguish. Inuyasha spent the whole night consoling her as she cried to ease her pain. The next few days passed in sobering silence as they prepared to send her grandfather off in a simple memorial. His remains had then been prepared to be taken and placed with his family at the Higurashi Shrine. Kagome had been denied the right to attend the remains to the site in fear of another attack. She had accepted Inuyasha's and Sesshoumaru's orders only because of the seriousness of Cernonnus' last assault. Alone she gave her jii-chan his final farewell before watching Shippo leave with him. Shippo had promised to tend to her family's final resting spot while he was at the shrine.

Tired, depressed and completely emotionally drained she was regretting where Inuyasha was currently leading her. They had been advised of an urgent meeting that Sesshoumaru had called as Shippo left with her grandfather's remains. A growing sense of apprehension began to build within as she approached the dining hall. Deep within she knew what the Lord was sensing about a premonition of things to come. With her grandfather gone, she was no longer tied to the manor. The blooming of her appreciation threatened to swallow her when they walked through the doors.

“Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru's cold eyes didn't bother to acknowledge her.

'Back to his usual self I see.' Kagome thought to herself as she was blown off by the great taiyoukai.

“We depart at once. I am putting distance between the pack and Cernonnus. Gather your few belongings and meet me in foyer in one hour. You are dismissed.” The stoic Lord began to turn and walk away.

“What the fuck! You gonna inform me on the details?” Inuyasha growled in frustration. The asshole he had 'affectionately' termed brother for three months was back to being as arrogant as ever.

“Leave now. I will inform you when we are traveling.” Without another word he vanished into the darkness of the hall.

“Prick!” Inuyasha grumbled before pulling the stunned miko beside him. He could see the play of emotion on her face as she assimilated the news. She pulled her usual brave self as she squared her shoulders and pulled from his embrace.

“We had best hurry.” She left him staring as she methodically stomped her way towards their soon to be former bedroom.

To say that it irked him that she bowed to his brother's wishes so easily would have been the understatement of the year. Had he pulled a stunt like that she'd have sat him into the seventh hell and with that thought his hands unconsciously rubbed where the beads had once sat. But then again this wasn't like before. His Kagome had been changed by the continual loss of those she loved. The burden that had been thrust on her thin shoulders had left her more somber than he would have liked. She had become very astute to responsibilities. No more was she the picture of innocence and contented bliss.

He knew that Sesshoumaru was making an appropriated decision to leave the manor and their closeness to Tokyo behind. But just because he saw the wisdom in the decision did not mean that he had to like it. Sesshoumaru was a fool if he thought he would be ordered about like an pup.

“Insolent Bastard!” He cursed, glaring at the hall the taiyoukai had vanished down before making a hasty retreat in the direction of his miko.

X-X-X-X-X