InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Awakening ( Chapter 27 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N:Thank you Inuyashalover94, la623, kmoaton, Catlover260, angel-up-above-heaven, psyco chick32, catbaker, clnv, and kestrelangel for your wonderful reviews. I'm glad you enjoyed the slide show!

Special thanks to my wonderful beta, Kokoronagomu


Awakening


Kagome sighed to herself as she watched the sleeping forms of Sango and Miroku. They looked so happy and peaceful cuddled on the end of the short bench in the cargo haul of the military helicopter. The pair had long since been lulled into a deep sleep from the rhythmic sound of the blades and motor. They had paused to refuel on an aircraft carrier four hours off the coast of Japan and had now been in flight for approximately forty five minutes. Her companions on her bench had also drifted off and she wondered if their youkai and oni blood made them prefer sleep over the loud and sickening sensations of flying. Glancing over she noticed Inuyasha was regarding her with a stern gaze and she suddenly felt very guilty about the morning's fight with him. She hadn't actually been angry with him but he had made for a convenient scapegoat for her frustration. The loss of her jii-chan had been more difficult to take than she had first thought. Combined with the sudden upheaval of her familiar surroundings, she had cracked. She sighed again and leaned her head against the back of the wall.

What lay in store for her she wondered as she intently gazed at the ceiling. The past had already been so difficult but she had a sinking feeling that it would pale in comparison to what would come. Lowering her head she chanced another quick glance at her hanyou, her heart aching when his ears lowered under her gaze. She found her hands rather interesting as she tried to ignore the guilt that was becoming stronger inside. 'This is ridiculous! I'm punishing him for nothing. He looks miserable. I bet this ride has been hell on his nerves. Oh frig! Just bite the bullet and go apologize.'

Standing from her seat she silently crept over to Inuyasha aware of the intense gaze that watched her advance. Wordlessly she stood before him and offered an apology. He greeted her by uncrossing his arms and pulling her into his lap. He waited to see if she would reject him before wrapping her tightly in his arms. She pulled on the front of his shirt; fisting both hands in the material before burying her face in his chest. Silence enveloped the two as words failed them. This wasn't about the meaningless argument anymore. Fears and doubts of the future troubled them as the made their way to the new location.

Exhaustion finally claimed her two hours into their continued flight and she sighed contentedly when Inuyasha shifted in his seat. Watching her as she slept his brow furrowed in concern. Kagome was on edge and the move wasn't helping things. He had watched her as she sat opposite him and the play of emotion on her face made his heart break. The misery in her eyes when she thought no one was looking hurt him like no flesh wound could. He was unable to help her in any way. He growled low in frustration knowing that she was in pain and his only position was one of observer. The relief he had felt when she had finally sought the comfort of his arms was immense. Ease her tormented thoughts and worries he could not but he could offer her the warmth and security of his arms.

Closing his eyes he rested his head against the back of the wall. The vibrations were driving him crazy but he welcomed the distraction from the thoughts that had troubled his own mind. Sesshoumaru knew things that he didn't and it bothered him. Something important must have occurred for him to have suddenly decided to uproot them. The brother he knew would not run so readily from an adversary. His eyes opened once more and focused on the red haired girl leaning her head on a crate. If his suspicions were correct it likely had something to do with her. Misery had been no keener on the idea of leaving than the rest of them. She was tired of running. Amber eyes shifted to the taiyoukai on the opposite side of the bench. His brother's closed eyes opened and regarded him in silence before shutting once more. 'What the hell is that bastard up too? How is Kouga involved in all this and what does he know that he's not sharing.' Inuyasha made a mental note to corner Sesshoumaru as soon as they were safely on the island. There was much to discuss and it was best if the girls weren't around to hear it.

Again he turned his attentions to the nephilim. He had come to care for the fiery girl like a sister. He admired her attitude and thoroughly enjoyed watching her scrap with his brother. He saw through her facade though. The tough attitude was nothing more than a shell she had created around herself as a defense mechanism. She was scared and broken inside. Just like he had been. Growing up he had found that it was easier to keep up the facade and distance himself from others in order to stay alive. Been part human and part oni she would have been rejected by both sides just as he was. He remembered Shippo telling him how the girl had never battled before her mother's death. She had been content to learn about healing and using her oni powers to grow wonderful things. A gentle soul corrupted by a trusted fiend. He wondered what it would have been like to meet her before Cernonnus had tainted her spirit. Grinning he thought to himself that Sesshoumaru would have had a much easier time with her if she was still all flowers and butterflies.

Kagome stirred in his arms, mumbling something he couldn't understand before shifting and falling back to sleep. No one stayed the same forever. Just like Misery and he, the tides of change where lapping at Kagome's ankles. When he had first met her she had been so happy and carefree. So sure of herself and positive that there was good in everyone. The battle to repair the jewel and defeat Naraku had changed her. She had matured and lost a little piece of her carefree nature. The tides had ebbed higher after her mother and brother had lost their lives. She was becoming a sober girl, momentarily lost in the despair of a tattered life. He knew that the upcoming battle would change her more. Each traumatic event molded her more into a battle hardened warrior and stole the happiness that had once overflowed from her sparkling blue eyes. Had he the ability, he would have turned back time and taken her away from the hardships she had endured.

Gazing at the comrades before him he realized that they had all endured hardship and loss. All been equally affected by the troubles from the past. Kagome was different though. She was a miko of the light. He worried how much she could endure before her inner brightness burnt out. He prayed to the kami that it would not happen.

His gut was telling him things about the conflict to come. It would not be the sword swinging battle of brute strength like the final battle with Naraku. That vile creature could never had played at the head games Cernonnus excelled at. The oni would test them on a level they had never experienced. He was certain that if the bastard captured the girls that they would be no match for his mind control. Naraku's failed attempts may have been trying at best but they had always been able to break through the connection. Would his voice be able to reach Kagome if she was under his control? Did she still possess the purest of hearts? Her rage and lust for revenge had frightened him when Cernonnus had the blood connection with her mind. Had that incident tainted her even just a little? What of Misery? Sesshoumaru and she had nowhere near the connection and trust that Kagome and he possessed. Would she become the tool of their undoing? What of Miroku and Sango? The possibilities were endless when it came to the final battle.

Finally he closed his eyes and tried to numb his senses before the flight made his head throb uncontrollably and his stomach lose its breakfast.

X-X-X-X-X

“Welcome to Kibu Island.” Kouga announced after opening the rear compartment door. Multiple soldiers where waiting to begin unloading the many crates and began pouring in, immediately setting to work.

“Kibu Island?” Miroku pondered the heritage of the landmass.

“It was named after a mythological island.” Kouga explained before giving a few quick orders to his men. Leading the way out of the helicopter he waited until the sound of the propellers completely quieted before continuing. “It means island of the dead.”

“Nice touch.” Inuyasha smirked shaking his head at the name. Looking around he saw vegetation in abundance.

“Seems very much alive to me.” Kagome commented taking in the exotic beauty of the palms and orchids that littered the hills around them.

Kouga simply shrugged his shoulders and continued heading in the direction of the base's buildings. The companions followed wordlessly all enjoying the breathtaking beauty that surrounded them. Despite it being fall the weather was warm and inviting. They could hear the ocean suggesting that the base was not far from the water's edge but it was tucked neatly in a circling wall of hills. The buildings were simple and designed to blend in with the nature around them.

“You'll all be staying in these barracks. There are four rooms and one main common area. They're plain and simple but they work. If you were expecting something fancy you're shit outta luck.” He flicked on the switch and instantly the fluorescent lights flickered before illuminating their new dwelling.

“This will be fine Kouga-sama. Thank you!” Miroku bowed and lifted his bag back over his shoulder and entered. Sango was quick to follow and the wandered into the common area.

The barrack was plain. Four identical rooms branched off the main area with one situated in each corner. The living area held modest furnishings and a large bright kitchen. Two common baths were at each end of the building. With each room being identical the group split off and claimed one. Reuniting in the main area they watched as Kouga nodded in farewell and marched out into the setting sun.

“Fancy!” Misery giggled before flopping down on the couch. “This feels more like home to me. Kinda reminds me of old times hey Ship!”

“The summer we spent in the Congo?” He grinned before pulling up a seat beside her.

“Luxury's nice for a retreat but I much prefer roughing it.” The nephilim stifled a yawn and stretched languidly.

“Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru barked after glaring at the two red heads sitting cozily beside one another. “We are requested in the command center.”

'Finally get to drill him with questions!' Inuyasha smirked before following his brother outside. They left the rest of the group to settle in to their new lodgings.

“How did you find the traveling?” Sesshoumaru questioned as he led the way to the main command center.

“My heads still ringing.”

“It is something to get used to isn't it.” The elder youkai smirked.

“You've been here before haven't you.” Inuyasha noted how his brother had never once asked for directions and was knowingly leading the way.

“A few times in the past.”

“You gonna tell me what's going on?”

“Patience Inuyasha. It will be clear when we meet with Kouga in a few minutes.”

Inuyasha watched his brother carefully noting how he suddenly seemed tired and irritable. He realized in that moment that his brother was not the perfect and immortal being that he had once thought. The stress of this mission was beginning to wear on even him. There was more at stake this time and the taiyoukai was placed in a position he had never been in before. Inuyasha had battled many times before while worrying about the safety of Kagome. Sesshoumaru had never carried such a burden in battle before. True he had protected Rin but the girl was not the same as a mate. He risked one more glance before they entered the building. The hard expressionless mask was firmly fixed on the youkai face, no indication of the strain there moments before.

“Lord Sesshoumaru. Lord Inuyasha.” Ginta bowed as he swiped his security card through the doors reader and pushed it open. “Commander Kouga is waiting for you in the main control room.”

Sesshoumaru nodded briefly and quickly made his way down the large corridor and then down two flights of stairs. The dark hall was lit with red lights adding an eerie glow to the passage. Inuyasha followed closely behind taking in his surroundings and imprinting the route in his mind.

“Underground eh?” He commented.

“Harder to detect if it's underground and safer in the case of an air attack.” The cool reply echoed in front of him.

Opening the door at the end of the hall revealed a room full of computers, wide wall screens, flickering and beeping equipment and a few soldiers carefully watching the screens. Kouga waved them over to a central table on a lifted platform at the far end. Scaling the few steps they were soon comfortably seated around a table; eyes focused on the screen in front of them. Kouga leaned back in his chair and placed his booted feet on the table.

“Are you two idiots going to spill or what?” Inuyasha was irritated and anxious to hear the reason behind their sudden departure from Tokyo. Sesshoumaru quirked an eyebrow before beginning to explain.

“The night before last there was another attempt to gain the Shikon Jewel.” The taiyoukai motioned to the screen and Kouga flicked on an image of two employees of the manor.

“Aren't those your most trusted employees?” Inuyasha asked instantly recognizing the pair.

“Apparently not. They were found in the containment chamber with the jewel in their possession. Had Jaken been any slower informing me we would have lost the jewel.” Sesshoumaru leaned back and pulled a clawed hand through his sliver hair. “Cernonnus had infiltrated the manor using our own employees. The barrier that Miroku and Kagome erected was only able to prevent unwanted oni and youkai from entering. He must have taken hold of their minds and sent them to steal the jewel.”

“Blood bond?” Inuyasha asked.

“That's the difficult part. Those two have not left the manor in years. I have no idea how he would have gotten their blood. I think he has developed a new method of controlling minds. Either that or humans do not require the same intimate connection as we do. At any rate I couldn't have the manor turning against us. It would have been easy for a trusted employee to attack one of the girls in their sleep.”

“Like you or I would ever have let that happen.”

“It was a risk I was unwilling to take.” His brothers eyes flashed in the light of the screen. Inuyasha nodded back with understanding. He would have done the same knowing what he did now. There was no reason to keep the pack in harm's way if it could be helped.

“What of the employees?” The hanyou asked after a few minutes of silence.

“Disposed of.” The cold answer came without hesitation.

“I see.” The tone said it all. The poor bastards must have attacked when they were caught. Sesshoumaru surely would have been enraged by the potential threat of losing the jewel. The humans wouldn't have stood a chance.

“Lord Sesshoumaru contacted me right after the incident Inuyasha. I think you should be brought up to date on the reason for this base.” Kouga pulled his feet from the table and settled his elbows on it. He regarded the young hanyou from his past noticing that the only thing that had changed was the markings that had appeared on his face. The two inu youkai seated at the other end of the table looked remarkable alike now. “Two centuries ago youkai numbers were dwindling rapidly as the lesser youkai succumbed to the weapons of the humans. A treaty was drawn up and the youkai united under democratic control. It was decided that survival would be guaranteed if we kept our presence from the humans. Concealment devices were created and for the next two centuries the powerful youkai who survived rebuilt their numbers.”

“So you've all been hiding out like scared rabbits.” Inuyasha smirked at the wolf who's hackles were rising at the comment.

“You've still got that attitude don't you 'mutt face'.” Kouga brought up the insult from the past and hissed it.

“I could still kick your ass you bastard!” Inuyasha braced his hands on the table and stood.

“Enough!” Sesshoumaru's hard tone settled the two rivals back to respectable positions. “Inuyasha, it was necessary to maintain this world's order and that could not be done if we allowed ourselves to be at constant battle with the humans. The truth of the matter was that after the lesser youkai were nearly depleted it would have meant the human exterminating teams would have begun to attack us. It would have been a simple slaughter. I as well as many other of the youkai leaders would not lower myself to the annihilation of the human race. We essentially became a governing tool of protection for them. Preventing the uprising of lesser youkai and then oni that threatened the balance of this planet.”

“So the great youkai went from human hating to human helping?” The hanyou was surprised at this latest admission. “Why?”

“As the world became more open and explored it became clear that there was more beyond our own lands. Had we allowed the conflict between our races to continue we would have destroyed a great deal of the world in the plight. It was unacceptable. We still control a great deal Inuyasha. Some of our top members hold positions of great power throughout the world completely unknown to the humans. The United Nations is lead by many youkai Inuyasha and that leads us to this base. This was established as a stronghold for our own special forces. The guardians at this base have been quelling uprisings for over one hundred and fifty years. They track all threats and exterminate them. Kouga and his soldiers have been keeping an eye on Cernonnus and his contractors for some time now. Their input and expertise is highly valued.”

“Feh!If they've been tracking him then why haven't they exterminated him?” Inuyasha crossed his arms and scowled across the table.

“Cernonnus is a difficult opponent. He has led us on a wild goose chase around the globe. We've been more busy breaking his control over the human race than actually catching up to him. He's a nasty piece of work and gets his kicks from manipulating humans and using them like chess pieces. In the past ten years he has started uniting rogue oni and has led a few small conflicts. Each was suppressed but he vanished without a trace only to pop up in the most unusual area. Shippo did us a huge favor by locating that oni stronghold a few weeks ago. We were the ones that moved in and secured the area. Took out over twenty of the nasty creatures in that assault. I'm afraid though that his contractors have nothing on him. In ten years we have yet to have any full contact with him.” Kouga explained sighing when he finished. Turning back to the screen he brought up photos of the past years.

Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru watched as the screen was flooded with images of Cernonnus and his conquests. Contractors and humans littered on small remote battlegrounds all across the world. The last photos were of Cernonnus in Tokyo. When the slides finished the three set to work on filtering through the multiple files on information on their enemy, searching for anything that would aid them.

X-X-X-X-X

“They've been gone for hours!” Kagome groaned on the couch. Despite it being late at night she couldn't sleep. The flight over had seen her sleeping for most of it so now Misery and she were camped on the couch flicking through the few channels that came in.

“I'm sick of sitting around Kagome. Whaddaya say we go track down those two idiots?” Misery stood and stretched.

“You know where they went?” Kagome asked hopefully.

“Not a clue. Don't have any sense of smell to track them either. I'm sure there is someone out there that will be able to help.” Misery offered her hand to pull Kagome up from the couch.

“Might as well. I won't be sleeping anytime soon.” Kagome pulled her shoes on and smoothed out the skirt of her sun dress. She waited while Misery pulled her combat boots on and laced them tight.

They made their way into the night navigating the base with the light provided by the towers. They didn't have far to go when Kagome recognized a familiar face. Waving at the soldier she dragged Misery in that direction.

“Ginta!” She hugged the youkai tightly before letting him go and inspecting him. “I'm so glad to see you.”

“Sister! You're looking well.” He smiled sheepishly.

“Sister?” Misery asked confused at the familiarity.

“Long story.” Kagome began before turning her attention back to the soldier. “You haven't seen Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru have you?”
“They're in the command center with Commander Kouga.” He grinned. “I can take you there. I was just relieved of duty.”
“Wonderful! Lead the way!” Kagome smiled brightly to the youkai earning her a full blush from Ginta.

The girls followed the youkai soldier as he unlocked a door and took them down a few flights of stairs. The red lit hallway was tight as they made their way to the control center. Entering the main room Kagome's heart stopped when her eyes focused on the main screen at the end of the screen.

X-X-X-X-X

“Commander Kouga! I apologize for the interruption but this is urgent.” The shaky looking soldier saluted his commanding officer and waited for further instructions.

“What is it Lieutenant?”

“Breaking news from Japan Sir.”

“Put it on the main screen.”

“Yes Sir!”

The screen flickered and suddenly a UN news reporter was bringing in a terrifying story. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha watched in interest until they recognized the city on the screen. The woman reporter faded as the camera zoomed in on the devastation below the news helicopter.

“We bring you the latest on this breaking story. Tokyo has been literally destroyed from a night of terror. The city lays in ruin after creatures we have never seen began their assault only a short hour ago. They came with such ferocity that the city police and military forces could not mobilize fast enough. Fire fell from the sky turning the city into a blazing inferno. No reports on casualties but just by looking at the state of the city is seems unlikely that many survived.” The reporter voiced the news as the camera became focused on a figure in the sky. You could hear the shock in her voice when she spotted what the camera did.

“What the hell is that Shinji? He looks like an angel. Are we saved?” The voice came as the camera man zoomed in on the figure. A wicked grin suddenly flashed and Cernonnus approached them with deadly speed. The screams of the news crew were heard before the helicopter fell from the sky and the transmission was ended likely from the impact of the chopper with the ground.

“Kami.” Kouga watched in horror as the news station recovered and flashed to other images of the city while it was blazing with fury.

Silence had washed over the crew as the footage had rolled before their eyes. No one had noticed the arrival of the two girls who had also witnessed the destruction that had befell Tokyo. Not until a thundering crack brought their attention round to the doors behind them.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome's eyes widened as her brain processed the words of the reporter. She recognized some of the area and her heart stopped. 'Tokyo!' She was frozen in place as she watched her beloved city burn in sickening hues of red and gold. She felt the anguish of the innocents rise inside her and her eyes began to blur with the surge of pain she was feeling.

Misery stood beside her friend and clasped a hand over her mouth to stifle the scream that threatened. The fire flashed in her mind and she was reminded of a time long ago. A sudden surge in power beside her brought her back from her memories. Her eyes locked on Kagome and she took a step back with what she saw. Kagome's iris' had changed to become flooded with a deep burgundy and similar coloured tendrils of aura were beginning to circle around her feet. The girls body was rigid and her face etched with pain as they watched the devastation unfold.

'This can't be happening. Not to my home. Eri, Yuka, Ayumi and Hojo what happened to you! All those innocent people. They're dead because of this... stupid jewel! It must stop!' She was quickly tensing and she could feel her powers escalating. Her vision was clouding and then it suddenly took on a strange hue. Everything around her became much clearer and her sight took on inhuman values. Her senses improved ten fold and she could actually hear the rush of blood coursing through her veins.

Misery's eyes shot back to the screen when the camera took aim at the figure in the sky. 'Cernonnus.' She held her eyes tightly shut to avoid gazing on his face and she knew the moment the woman screamed that the city had fallen to the corrupted angel. He surely was sending them a message. He knew that they had fled and he was punishing her for fleeing once again. Punishing her and Kagome. He knew what this would do to them. 'Bastard!' She cursed silently as a tear fell at the silence now on the screen.

The miko beside her was quickly crackling with energy and Misery focused again on her. Her reiki was like static around her; glittering sparks of burgundy swirled around her climbing higher until it reached her head. A sudden crack reverberated in the room and Misery was pushed to the ground in its wake.

“Stop!” Kagome's deafening scream filled the air as her powerful reiki flattened all around her.