InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ What Little Girls Are Made Of ( Chapter 28 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Thank you angel-up-above-heaven, wbk, kryptoinuyasha, InuGoddess715, psyco chick32, CatLover260, la623, kmoaton, Inuyashalover94, patty530, HayleyM425, Catbaker, Krazygirl140, Inukeo, SistersGrimm, and Black and Bloody Rose for all your wonderful reviews! You guys are the best! Thanks to everyone who has read and continues to read my work!

Special thanks to Kokoronagomu who continues to give me her all and fix all my mistakes!



What Little Girls Are Made Of

The noise was gaining intensity as it thundered past her ears. The images were being burned to memory as she watched in horror the city of her childhood blazing in sickening silence on the screen before her. Her mind and heart ached with such rawness she thought she had been struck a physical blow. She could feel the tingling beginning deep in her soul. The reiki she was both blessed and cursed with. It pulsed inside as if asking for its release.

Another image flashed before her eyes; the corpse of a mother and child. Then the camera scanned around revealing similar forms on the remnants of a busy shopping district. The charred remains littering the streets of the formerly magnificent city tormented her. Helpless. Defenseless. Innocent. Lives of such significance and promise destroyed in less than a minute. Thousands upon thousands cut down in a rain of fire and ash. Buildings toppled in a flash of his sadistic grin. A city laid waste in a remarkable amount of time.

The overwhelming feeling of her reiki pulsed inside as her body was filled with anguish. She stood unblinking at the screen and allowed her power to take hold. Her eyes flooded with colour before refocusing; more clearly than before. A sharp ringing in her ears momentarily deafened her before she found that she could her the rapid heartbeat of the girl beside her. The smell of emotions in the room was almost sickening when they reached her now delicate nose. Her skin felt unlike her own when it tingled with sharp pin pricks. Tendrils of reiki swarmed around her as the pulsing inside escalated becoming one with her quickened heart rate.

The camera focused on his face and in one blink of the eye he vanished with the screams of the innocent as the helicopter fell from the sky in a vision of blurred images. Static. A momentary pause of silence before more pictures of the city burned her eyes again. He was beyond evil. He was the spawn of everything indecent and wrong in the world. Such suffering he had caused. She would never get him out of her head. Closing her eyes she tried to block the news cast but the replay came in a flash of tormented eyes, fire and smoke. One chest seizing contraction and she heard her voice scream out for it all to stop. The pain was too much. The suffering too much. The concussion from her power surge rocked the room flattening all who surrounded her. The electronics sparked and blew sending shrapnel flying through the room. The screen that Inuyasha and the others had been intently watching flickered and finally fell black ending the horrific show.

Feeling drained she focused her eyes on the amber orbs of her mate who stood in shock on the other side of the room before she released a heart wrenching sob and collapsed. Blackness invaded every sense blocking out his cry of her name and the image of his concerned face as he rushed forward. The silence was so welcoming. So calming. Her heart rate settled as she floated in the black abyss of her mind. Cernonnus couldn't reach her in here. She was safe.

“Kagome. Child look at me.” The soft voice called out to her.

“Midoriko-sama?” She called out her eyes misting with tears.

“Sweetheart. I'm so sorry.” The ancient spirit knelt with her in the darkness bathing her in a healing light.

“All those people. My friends. Why?” She cried out clutching to the older priestess.

“He was enraged at your absence and Misery's as well. He did the unspeakable to send you a clear message. We must not let his plans of breaking you come to be Kagome. You need to focus and pay honour to those people by winning the fight against Cernonnus.”
“He's too powerful Midoriko. He wasted a city like it was nothing. How can I possibly win?”

“Did you not feel that Kagome?” The ancient pulled back to gaze intently in the young miko's eyes.

“Feel what?”

“Your powers. They have awakened dear. What you felt now was a tiny indication of things to come.” She explained.

“My senses? I thought I was just overwhelmed. In shock from what I was seeing.” Kagome looked confused as she remembered her intense reaction to the destruction she witnessed.

“It called out to you Kagome. You heard it and you released it. Lucky for us you didn't purify everyone surrounding you!” She smiled down finally releasing the girl and sitting back to observe the her. “You have more reiki than Kikyou and me combined. I suspect that your mating with Inuyasha has also given you a power boost. I will assist you in discovering your abilities and in training you.”

Kagome nodded considering the change in herself. She did feel different and now she remembered the call from deep within. Three years ago she had first experienced her spiritual ability. Able to concentrate reiki into her arrows was nothing like what she had just felt. She suddenly worried about her ability to control the new strength she had developed. Midoriko and Kikyou had trained for years to understand their reiki. She had only found out that she had even possessed such abilities a scant few years ago. How could she possibly master such power in a limited amount of time? Midoriko's laughter brought her out of her thoughts.

“You are different from us Kagome. You were destined for this role. Do not fear your ability. You were born knowing how to use it. We just have to dig that knowledge out of you. Dust it off a bit and you'll be a force to reckon with.”

Kagome stared intently at the ancient miko before narrowing her gaze and setting her jaw in self determination.

“That's my girl.” Midoriko grasped her hand and squeezed. Eyes sparkling with admiration and motherly love when the fierceness of Kagome's gaze met her own.
“He wants a fight! Well now he's got one and I'm going to show him what little girls are made off! Take me back Midoriko. I have some oni ass to kick!” Kagome scowled as she stood and offered her hand to her mentor.

“As you wish my dear.” Midoriko grinned wickedly as she stood. Blinding light surrounded them as she released them from the darkened recesses of Kagome's mind and brought them back to the present.

X-X-X-X-X

Misery's eyes left the blackened screen and watched Kagome sink to the ground. It was too much for her to take. The images were flashing in her mind's eye and she was soon being overcome with nausea. Dragging herself up she almost ran right into Inuyasha as he reached Kagome's side. Narrowly avoiding tripping over the pair she pushed herself blindly into the red lit hallway. Half running and half dragging herself up the stairs fighting the blackness and dizziness that threatened her, she burst through the doors outside and ran. Finally she hit a patch of isolated vegetation and promptly dropped and emptied her stomach into the bushes. Clutching the trunk of a tree she sobbed as fresh images assaulted her again. The dizziness was renewed and she again felt the bile rising. A muffled sob broke from her lips as another round of nausea found her heaving into the vegetation.

“Too much! My fault! So many dead!” Her broken statements where cried into the darkness around her.

Strong arms gathered her around her waist and Cernonnus' face laughed at her in her mind. She let out a startled scream and thrashed wildly trying to free herself from the constraints. She was drawn closer to the body and she fought desperately but she was weakened from her recent illness and emotionally broken. With a suicidal sob she slumped in defeat. Utterly sure of her attacker and his intent.

“Kill me already you fool. You've taken everything from me. Kill me and be done with this.” Her voice was emotionless as she accepted her fate.

“Misery?” The warm voice echoed behind her.

“Sesh?” She recognized the voice and fresh tears threatened. Her mind was broken and she fought back the urge to run when another vision of her tormentor ransacked her mind.

Turning the disheveled girl in his arms he was startled to see the rawness in her eyes. Her words moments before had frightened him to no end. The tightness in his chest refused to release when she recognized him. The thought of her not fighting that beast had affected him deeply and the man who had never been afraid of anything was suddenly terrified at losing the precious bundle now resting in his lap.

“Misery.” He breathed in her calming scent trying to rid the darkening feeling that was creeping into his heart. “I won't lose you. I won't let him have you.”

He held her tight knowing full well that his crushing embrace would leave bruises. He couldn't find himself concerned with that at the moment. He needed to feel her as close to him as possible. His eyes were flooding with red and he was fighting every fiber of his youkai that desired to shred everything in his path. He was caught between the primal urge to vent his frustrations and the need to calm his mate. A balance he was unused to. He could not allow her to be in danger and the sight of him in complete battle rage would likely terrify her to no end. A few more breaths of her reassuring scent and his vision began to clear. Loosening his grip he swept her bridal style into his arms and headed directly for the barracks.

She relaxed when his grip on her had finally grew slack. The intensity of the embrace had left her breathless and her ribs sore but it had grounded her. The thoughts of flight had been suffocated in his arms and she had been drawn back to reality. Sesshoumaru really was the one holding her. Not a blonde, blue eyed angel of destruction and deceit. Cernonnus had came for her again and he had failed. She wound her arms around her mate and buried her face in his neck. The tip of her nose found the point of his pulse and she concentrated on the rhythmic beat. She was only mildly aware of their direction and breathed a sigh of relief when she found herself in their bedroom.

He placed her gently on the bed before turning to leave the room. She cried out desperately grabbing his arm when he began retreating.

“Don't leave me alone. Please!” New tears began spilling when the fear began rising inside.

He smiled down as he turned and knelt in front of her. A clawed finger reached up to trace the delicate line of her jaw before wiping away the tears that streaked her cheeks.

“I am not leaving you. I am going to get us some water. I will be right back. I promise.” He stood again but this time waited for her to ready herself before leaving. He returned moments later with a large bottle of water and a few glasses. Pouring her a glass he joined her on the bed and pressed the offering into her hand. He watched her with a burning intensity as she slowly sipped the water.

Misery relished in the coolness of the drink as it washed the taste of vomit from her mouth, soothing the rawness of her throat. She found her pack and dug through the contents for her toothbrush and toothpaste. Spending a few minutes scraping her mouth free of the taste she suddenly felt empty. Spitting the last of the toothpaste into an empty glass she hurried back to the bed. Her need to be close to him was great so she tentatively reached out to touch him. Placing her hand over his to link them together. A shiver raced down her spine but she was unsure of its cause. The recent contact with Sesshoumaru or the memories of the minutes of hell she had just been put through?

“How's Kagome?” She asked after a lengthy silence had settled between them.

“Inuyasha is with her. She woke just after you left.” He continued to study her. She appeared so fragile in the dim light of the room. Around others she tried to be so strong. Independent. Now she looked as though she was made of glass. Sighing he released her hand to remove his boots. One quick movement saw his jacket and shirt on the floor. Kneeling again he carefully undid the lacing on Misery's combat boots before tugging them gently off her feet. Pulling the covers down, he moved to settle his back against the wall and opened his arms in invitation. He let out a growl of approval when she immediately sought the comfort of his arms. She crawled towards him and nudged his legs. When he moved both outwards she crawled between them and snuggled into his bare chest. He felt her sigh contentedly when he pulled the covers up around them and began stroking her hair.

“Thank you.” She whispered to him.

“For what.”

“Your patience.” She began nuzzling higher until her face was again pressed against his neck. He shifted slightly to gain a more comfortable position and then wrapped her tightly in his arms.

“One needs the patience of a saint to deal with you woman.” He chuckled thinking about the sore spot on the back of his head from its recent contact with her shoe.

“I'm sorry about earlier. My temper got the best of me. It had been a pretty stressful morning.” She apologized shyly and after feeling the heat of her blush was very glad her face was hidden.

“I admit that I may have provoked you somewhat.” He could only imagine how wide her eyes had just became. “I believe I have developed a soft spot for the way you look when you're angry.”

“You mean...?” She whispered into his neck causing goosebumps to form on his skin.

“Accept my apologies?” He grinned more when she pinched his shoulder.

“Idiot.”

His smile and laughter froze when he felt the delicate flutter of lips on his neck. 'She kissed me.' The heat between their bodies seemed to sizzle when the action was repeated just below his jawline. A soft nose nudge his chin upwards as she trailed soft kissed below his jawline shifting in his arms so that she could follow around to the other side.

“Apology accepted.” She breathed haughtily in his ear.

His heart was racing and he was glad that she did not possess the hearing that he did. He would have been embarrassed if she had know that he was trying desperately not to act like a schoolboy on his first date. The scent of salt reached his nose again and he frowned down at the girl in his arms. Despite her bravery she was weeping again. Moving them both forward he sat and lifted Misery easily with one arm. He used his other to draw one of her legs over his hips and she quickly did the same with the other. With her settled over his lap he used a finger to lift her face to his. Her eyes twinkled in the light; her tears adding a shimmering luminous effect to the silver iris'. Again wiping the tears away he followed with his lips removing any traces of the salt from her skin. Her sharp intake of breath was only encouragement. Light kisses fluttered across her face and he felt her hands dig into his shoulders for support. He tangled his fingers of one hand through her hair and held her head in place. Capturing her lips his began a sensual assault on them.

A muffled moan escaped from Misery before she was greedily clinging to him. A deep humming vibrated from Sesshoumaru's chest as he drew her in tighter, stealing her breath with his hardened kiss. Breaking from her lips he continued down her jawline and whispered his approval when she arched her back and exposed her throat to him. Nipping and licking he moved down the delicate expanse of her throat fighting to maintain absolute control when her heart began to race and she unconsciously wiggled in his lap. Her hand knotted in his hair and she moved onto her knees. Now looking down on him she pulled his head back gently and rewarded him with a passionate kiss.

Grasping her tightly around the waist he flipped them both over and smiled down at his mate. She blushed heavily under his scrutinizing gaze and tried to look away. He propped himself up on an elbow and then braced his head on his arm.

“Embarrassed love?” He grinned wickedly and silenced any reply with another searing kiss. He brought the opposite hand up to languidly trail down her body pausing at the hint of bare skin between her shirt and pants. Gently slipping the hand under he explored the warm skin of her side. Laughing into her mouth when she squirmed at a ticklish spot.

Closing her eyes Misery was lost in a sea of bliss; being rocked gently by Sesshoumaru's sweet administrations. Floating in this sea of pleasure she was suddenly terrified when Cernonnus' face appeared above her and she felt his hand constrict around her throat.

“Misery darling. You forget your place!” He sneered at her. His menacing laughter filled her ears and she fought to regain herself.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk. Only I shall have you like this.” His weight pressed down on her and he pushed his hips painfully against her. “Remember darling. The haystack was the perfect spot for us. What a show we had too. Beginning to make love to your mother's screams! Made me want you even more.”

She tried to break the trance but the harder she tried the more real it became. She could feel the heat of the blaze, smell the scent of sweet hay and hear the agonizing screams of her mother as she burned at the stake. Cernonnus hands were the ones exploring her body. His lips made her skin crawl and she pushed at him with all her might.

Sesshoumaru noticed a change in his mate. One moment her scent was heady with arousal and the next it was sickeningly laced with fear. Her eyes and shut tightly and then opened in a darkened glaze. She wasn't seeing him he knew and when she began screaming it was all he could do not to howl in rage. The bastard was at it again breaking into her mind when she least expected it. Grasping her shoulders he shook her and called out her name. Finally her body shook with one large spasm before her eyes cleared and she cried out for him.

X-X-X-X-X

“Kagome!” Inuyasha cried out when he reached his mate's side barely noticing the nephilim that barreled past him.

“Inu...yasha?” She answered softly, her hand coming up to hold her aching head.

“Kagome, I'm here. Are you alright?” Inuyasha instantly winced at his own words. 'Of course she's not alright you baka. She just witnessed Cernonnus destroying her city.'

“I didn't hurt you did I?” She searched him with her eyes as he assisted her to a sitting position.

“Everyone's fine koishi. Just a little shocked at the fireworks in here. What happened?”

“Midoriko said my powers have awakened.” She squinted her eyes when she was upright. The pain in her head elevating to migraine status.

“Awakened? You already had a pretty impressive reiki.” He studied her as he lifted her into his arms.

“Just the tip of the iceberg apparently.” Her eyes began misting when they focused on the large screen that was now black.

“They're all gone Inuyasha.” She whispered as the reality of the situation weighed down on her. “Everyone I ever knew is gone. My friends from school. My neighbours. The nice shop keeper that used to give me candy as a child. Everyone.”

“I'm sorry koishi.” He held her tightly.

“Sorry for what kobito. You have done nothing. Cernonnus is the one who foolishly annihilated a city.” The edge to her voice was hard.

“Kagome?” He was shocked at the harshness in her tone. He fully expected her to break down but she was pulling herself together.

“I won't give him the satisfaction of crying Inuyasha. Those people deserve more. I will honour their sacrifice. Cernonnus has baited the wrong girl. He desires a fight and I'm going to give him one. Today he made a fatal mistake. Today begins the dawning of the greatest battle in this world's history. Today... Today I make the promise to finish this. He won't win Inuyasha. I won't let him.” Her vivid blue eyes flashed back to the alarming colour of burgundy before returning to their calming blue. Wrapping her arms around him she allowed him to carry her from the underground room. As they walked in silence back to the barracks she thought about her declaration. She would fulfill that promise. Kagome Higurashi never went back on her word.

A sudden movement upwards and she realized that Inuyasha had launched them high into the bows of a tree. Settling against the trunk he pulled her in.

“Mind if we sit out here for awhile?” He questioned.

“It's calming isn't it.” She could see the red tinge to his eyes and understood his needs. Snuggling in she listened to the surf of the ocean and the night songs of the island's creatures. They held each other allowing their closeness and nature's lullaby to calm their frazzled nerves. The night would be a long one she was certain. Nightmares of what she had seen would most likely invade her sleep.

“Look at that!” Inuyasha nudged her and pointed up. A crackling veil of blue was forming above them appearing to cover the island.

“A barrier?” She mouthed when the blue veil solidified into a shimmering wall above them.

“Must be tucking us in for the night. Kagome, if you need to talk...” The hanyou started.

“I know love. I just don't want to think about it right now. Tomorrow will come soon enough and I'm sure I'll have to talk to everyone. I just want to enjoy the peace of this moment and the feeling of your arms.”

Inuyasha nodded and wrapped her more securely in his embrace. The cooling air would chill her exposed skin shortly so he would let her enjoy the evening a little longer before taking her inside to rest. He was still worried about her sudden change in the control room and at the state of her mind after witnessing what she had. She was alive though. He was relieved that Sesshoumaru had moved them but the cost had been high. Despite his many battles he had never witnessed devastation like that. His youkai surged and he buried his nose in her hair to calm himself. No one threatened his pack like that and lived to tell about it. Cernonnus had signed his death warrant tonight and he vowed to collect on it. That bastard was some piece of work and he knew that he was going to enjoy watching him perish. Kagome's shiver brought him back and kept him from finishing his thoughts. Gathering her he jumped from the high branches and returned them to the barracks.

X-X-X-X-X

Kouga surveyed the remnants of the former control room. Most of the electronic equipment had been fried by Kagome's power surge. Some simply shorting out and others blown into tiny pieces. His soldiers stood at attention awaiting their orders.

“Get this equipment up and running immediately. We need to be operating within the hour. Move!” He bellowed. The equipment would be easy to replace as they were well stocked. It was the time he was worried about. They couldn't afford to be down for even a second. The next few hours were critical.

“Ginta!” He hollered.

“Yes Sir!” The wolf youkai responded.

“I want the shield activated and on full strength now!”

Ginta nodded and exited without another word. He watched as his men raced around clearing out the ruined equipment and replacing them. Some screens were already flickering back on and he sighed in relief. It appeared the control room would be running in half the time.

“Situation report.” He stated when a soldier stopped and saluted him.

“Already functioning at forty five percent sir. The damage was not as bad as first assessed. Barrier is at seventy five percent and climbing.”

“Excellent.” He strode to the head table climbing the few steps up onto the elevated platform. Sitting in his usual chair he spun just in time to see the large screen come to life. More reports on Tokyo's fall were being reported. He called another soldier over an gave him orders to begin damage control on the reports.

Leaning back he knew he was in for a long night. The UN would have to be contacted quickly and a plan developed for the extrication of any survivors. His team would undoubtedly be focused on Cernonnus. He growled in anger. No one attacked his pack. Kagome was as good as a sister to him and his clan and she had been directly threatened. A powerful alliance had been formed today and they would not back down. A canine countenance of long lived loyalty. Possessive and fierce in all their attributes. The beast had picked the wrong pack to play with.