InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Blood Ties ( Chapter 29 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Thank you to everyone who has left reviews and all who have taken the time to read!
Special thanks to my beta, Kokoronagomu!


Blood Ties

The darkness was chilling; a cool mist blew across her naked arms sending the chill straight to her bones. The thin damp layers of her dress clung to her legs as she walked through the black void. Where was she? It was too quiet. Not a sound reached her ears. Nothing but the rustling of leaves in the wet breeze. Scanning the area she looked for anything recognizable. Nothing. What was happening? A bright light was falling from the sky. Soon it was filled with burning balls of light. Pulling herself up a slippery slope she reached the top of a cliff.

'Tokyo! It's going to burn!' She gasped when she came to the top. The city lay before her ignorant of the fire that was rapidly descending upon it.

Her enhanced eyesight allowed her to see the burning spheres and she soon realized that the fire wasn't magically materializing. They were being pushed down by the hands of oni contractors. Her head snapped around just in time to see a land army gathering at the base of the city. She tried to call out a warning to the helpless people in the city but soon found that she had lost her voice. Her hands pushed forward in a fruitless attempt to erect a barrier around the city. Nothing. Collapsing to the ground she clutched her hands to her chest as she watched helplessly.

As the balls of flame made contact with the city the army on the ground let out a battle cry. Within seconds she could hear the screaming of the innocents as they were slaughtered with ruthless ease. The noise from below was deafening. The ground trembled with each building that was toppled. The heat from the blazing inferno flushed her cheeks and burned her eyes. She trembled as her senses overloaded and the anguish flooded through her. She could not help them. Could not protect them.

He found her then. Fluttering above her like a graceful angel he rose to stare down at her fully illuminated by the full moon behind him. He smiled before his eyes narrowed and he attacked. His menacing eyes locked with hers and he snarled as he lunged. Blackness engulfed the both of them and sent her screaming into the land of the living.

“Kagome!” Inuyasha shook the sleeping girl as she screamed into the night. Her body was damp from the night terror and she blinked rapidly as she woke.

“Inuyasha?” She clung to him.

“You're safe koishi. You had a nightmare.” He rubbed her back trying to calm the tremors that shook her.

“It was real Inuyasha and I watched it all. I saw how he attacked, his army of contractors and the searing sphere's of fire. There were so many. It wasn't a nightmare Inuyasha so much as a vision.” She shuddered and shook her head as if trying to shake the feeling in her soul.

“Vision? It's already happened though.” He thought that visions were predictions of the future. His thoughts quickly changed to the nightmares that Misery often experienced.

“Do you think Cernonnus has a bond with you again?”

“No. I just saw what happened that's all.” She curled fully in his lap resting her head on his shoulder. “It was awful. Such destruction.”

He held her waiting for her to talk about what was on her mind. The early rays of sun were filtering through the curtains. Dawn couldn't come soon enough as he was anxious to meet with Sesshoumaru and Kouga. There was a good chance that Kouga would have some new information for all of them. Her voice brought him back to the present.

“I couldn't help them. I tried to call out to them but found I had no voice and then I tried to protect them with a barrier but I had no power.” Her voice trailed off and her hand moved out as if reliving the moment.

“If it was a vision of what happened it's no wonder you had no powers. You wouldn't have been able to change any of it Kagome. It already happened. You aren't to blame.” He held her tightly.

His words impacted her and she realized he was right. It was simply a reenactment of the disaster. Even in a dream she would not have been able to change the events. Was there a hidden message or clue in her dreams? Something of value she could take from the hellish night terror?

“I'll discuss it with Midoriko today. Perhaps she knows something I don't. Thank you Inuyasha.” She placed a kiss on his chin and buried her face in his neck enjoying the warmth of his body and the calming effect it had on her.

“Try to rest Kagome. I'll be here. In another hour it will be time to get up.” He smiled at the short nod under his chin and the yawn he heard escape from her. Morning would come quickly. And he had thoughts of his own. The new moon was the coming night. It would be his first since the mating ritual had been completed. What was in store for him? Would he be able to protect Kagome if they were attacked? Sesshoumaru and he needed to talk and that thought made him uneasy. Although he was certain that Sesshoumaru knew of his weakness he wasn't keen on openly discussing it.

Dawn crept up on the pair and Kagome soon was being wakened from her restless slumber. Smiling sleepily at Inuyasha she moved to allow him to leave the bed. Lazily she watched as he changed out of the clothes he had been wearing the night before and squeezed into a pair of tight leather jeans. Her eyes shone in appreciation at the sight before her. Her hanyou was fierce and gorgeous with the tight black pants; his chiseled abs clearly visible in the slowly lightening room.

“See something you like?” He grinned devilishly when he caught her staring.

Kagome laughed at him when he struck a pose before launching a pillow at him. He avoided the pillow with ease and turned to admire her as she stretched raising her arms high in the air. She slowly pulled herself out of the bed; eyes half shut as she stumbled towards her bag. Digging through it she settled on a pair of shorts and a tank top. Straightening she was pulled backwards into Inuyasha who wrapped his arms around her.

“Are you going to be alright?” He mumbled into her ear as he trailed kisses down her throat.

“Yeah. What are you planning on doing?”

“I need to talk to Sesshoumaru and Kouga.” He responded as he sat on the edge of the bed and pulled her onto his lap. “What about you?”

“Go with you?” She batted her eyes prettily hoping for the best.

“Don't think so Kagome. I think it would be best if we had a discussion without you girls first. I imagine we'll be going over some nasty details. You don't need to be a part of that.” He rested his forehead against hers when she pouted in response.

“Fine. I guess I'll gather the girls and have our own 'meeting'.” She pulled herself out of his lap and busied herself changing.

“Maybe I'll stick around for a moment longer.” He grinned wickedly watching her undress.

“Hentai!” She giggled hiding herself.

“Unfortunately for me I hear Sesshoumaru leaving. Gotta run.” He pulled his shirt over his head and headed for the door.

“Take Miroku with you.” Kagome called out to him when he was halfway out the door.

“Already on it.” He smiled back and vacated the room quietly shutting the door behind him.

She could hear him pounding on Miroku's and Shippo's doors before leaving the barracks. After a quick trip to the bathroom she began her own mission of gathering the girls. She met Sango exiting her room and without a word she led the way to Misery's room. Knocking on the door they waited a few moments before being met by an exhausted looking nephilim.

“You two want to tell me what's going on?” Sango suddenly voiced. “First I find you have both disappeared late at night and then I'm woke up multiple times by one of you screaming. What the hell went on last night?”

“Cernonnus.” The two replied simultaneously.

“Get dressed Miss. We have a conference meeting with Midoriko.” Kagome directed before turning to Sango. While they waited for Misery to change Kagome gave the taijiya a quick run down of the evenings events. Sango stood in stunned silence as Misery made her way to join them at the door. The trio left the barracks in mutely following Kagome.

X-X-X-X-X

Inuyasha ran across the yard to catch up with his brother. The two stared at each other a moment before continuing their way to the control room.

“How's Misery?”

“Not good. Kagome?” The taiyoukai responded.

“Better than expected. She had a vision or nightmare or something last night. Said she saw the attack on Tokyo up close and personal.”He noted the bristling change that came over the elder youkai. Suddenly Sesshoumaru stopped and let out a menacing growl. Inuyasha stopped beside him and was astonished when his brother turned to him.

“He broke into her mind last night.”

“I suspected as much. Couldn't leave her alone could he.” Inuyasha began only to be cut off by his brother shaking his head.

“No Inuyasha, you don't understand. The bastard struck when she was fully awake.”

“What! I thought he was only able to reach her when she slept.” Inuyasha was stunned by the new information.

“She's falling apart and I don't know what to do. This Sesshoumaru has never been helpless.” His shoulders slumped slightly with defeat.

“Any ideas of how he's managed this?” Inuyasha asked carefully not liking the sudden show of weakness from his brother.

“Only speculation at this point. Misery is going to discuss the matter with Kagome and Midoriko today.” Sesshoumaru sighed before starting towards the control room once again.

“Hey Sesshoumaru.” Inuyasha waited until his brother stopped to look back at him. “We won't let him take her.”

Sesshoumaru stared intently at his younger brother carefully observing the stubborn set to the hanyou's jaw. He nodded in acceptance before resuming his course for the control room. Inuyasha was right. Cernonnus would only be able to take her over his dead body. He wasn't worried about physically losing her for he was more than enough protection from a kidnapping ploy. The fact that she was battling an internal war set him on edge. He was forced to watch as Cernonnus tormented her in her mind. An unseen enemy. The worst part was that she was at her breaking point. She hadn't even fought for her life when her mind had registered Cernonnus as the one holding her last night. Acceptance of her fate was the most troubling thoughts that raced in his mind. Would she sacrifice herself to end the battle? He had lost very few battles in his life and he wasn't about to lose this one. Cernonnus would die. The sooner the better. He could only hope now that the two miko could repair any of the damage that Cernonnus had done last night. Misery's life was in Kagome's hands.

The red lit hallway was quiet but as they entered into the control room their senses were assaulted with the bustling activity inside. Kouga noticed their entrance and quickly waved them over to the main table. They had just gotten settled when he began waving at the entrance again. Miroku and Shippo had arrived and weaved their way through the equipment and soldiers. Once they were all settled at the table Kouga hit a button and a wall of sound proof glass descended from the ceiling coming to rest on the edges of the raised platform isolating them and quieting their conference area.

“You're all up bright and early. How are the girls?” Kouga asked after formerly greeting everyone.

“Dealing.” Sesshoumaru's cool reply was enough to satisfy the curiosity of the wolf.

“Alright then turn your attention to the screen. We have updated sitings of Cernonnus and some of his key ringleaders.” Kouga settled back in his chair and began slowly flicking through the few new slides.

“This is quite troubling. He's making progress across the lands quickly. Have you set up any decoy trails?” Shippo asked noting the last few pictures were of Cernonnus leaving Japan.

“I was hoping our leading expert would do us a favor.” Kouga hinted.

“Right. I'll get on it right now. I'll be back in a while to be updated.” With that the kitsune vanished out the door and settled at one of the nearby computers.

“Is there any indication that he has caught the scent of our trail?” Sesshoumaru inquired keenly inspecting some of the paperwork detailing the enemy.

“No. Our trail was wiped clean after leaving Japan. Our shield has been erected and is on full power. To him and everyone else this island has never existed.” Kouga retorted.

“Excellent. What of Tokyo?” He queried.

“Lost. Our response team found no survivors and no traces of the oni contractors. The UN is handling all news reports and has a damage team sorting through footage. Lucky for us only UN news reporters were first on scene so the photos of Cernonnus never surfaced. They are spinning it as a natural disaster. Earthquake and volcanic eruption combined. Playing a Pompeii effect so that they can bury the city and put a lid on any further news leaks. The world will be rallying for better warning systems for earthquakes by the end of the day. One headache dealt with and hundreds more to come.” Kouga sighed and poured himself a cup of coffee. He offered the pot to the rest and sat back down.

“Twas most certainly a ploy to terrorize Misery-sama and Kagome-sama. Was it not a simple temper tantrum that cost the lives of so many?” Miroku shook his head in disgust as he sorted through photos of the destruction. “He is playing a dangerous game. We must keep our eyes keenly on the actions of the girls. Any strange behaviour must be noted so that we can assist them before they do anything that will be harmful to our cause. The emotional strain on them after this must be tremendous. I fear that his true intent was to break their minds not just eliminate a city in a tumultuous rage.”

“I agree with the monk. We'd best keep an eye on those two.” Kouga concurred with Miroku's understanding of the situation. He noted that the two inu nodded gravely in response. The game had shifted in favor of the corrupt oni. He held the upper hand and it would take all of the girls' strength to keep him from winning.
X-X-X-X-X

“Midoriko-sama? Are you here?” Kagome called out in the clearing of vegetation they had settled in. The natural beauty of the island was doing wonderful things to calm them. Looking around she soon concentrated on a glowing orb that had floated into the clearing to join them. Seconds later the full form of Midoriko materialized in front of the trio.

“Ah, the troops have been rounded up.” She smiled as she settled on the grass beside them.

“We have much to discuss Midoriko-sama.” Kagome began.

“I know dear. I heard both Misery and you scream last night. How about we start with that.” The ancient smiled encouragingly at the nephilim who was looking much too startled than she would have liked.

“He came to me last night.” She paused and was visible shaken at the statement.

“It's alright sweetheart. Continue.” Midoriko placed a hand over the trembling researcher's hand.

“I was awake.” The simple statement left everyone staring in disbelief.

“Child are you sure?” Midoriko asked suddenly very concerned. The ancient blood bond that she shared with the monster must have been strengthened significantly in order for him to reach her in her wakened state.

“Very!” She whispered shaking fully at the thought. Sango reached over her shoulders and pulled her into a comforting embrace.

“Tell me child, would he have had access to your blood lately?” She asked hurriedly.

“When I fought him recently he may have.” Misery pondered a moment before realization dawned on her. “The hound. One of his hell hounds bit my shoulder.”

“He must have waited a while before using it. Sit still child I am going to see if I can break this latest bond. This will likely be painful for you as you have oni blood. Sango and Kagome, I'm going to need you to restrain her. Hold tight now.” With a flash she turned back into the glowing orb and penetrated Misery's chest.

Misery's eyes widened as the burning spread through her chest. It was almost unbearable and she screamed in pain thrashing wildly under the restraining holds of the other two. The searing pain traveled through her body with blinding speed. Seconds passed like minutes and minutes like hours as she fought to stay conscious through the process. Finally the heat left her body and she slumped into unconsciousness.

Kagome quickly checked the pulse of the nephilim when Midoriko rematerialized beside her. She sighed in relief when the strong pulse pushed against her finger tips. Gathering the girl's head in her lap she tenderly brushed the dampened hair away from her face. Looking up at Midoriko her concerned eyes spoke volumes to the ancient miko.

“Do not fret Kagome. My reiki was intense but she managed rather impressively. Cernonnus did indeed try another blood bond with her and it would have strengthened the current one enough for him to reach her while awake.” Midoriko explained.

“Where you able to help her Midoriko-sama?” Sango asked looking down at the helpless girl before her.

“Because the bond was relatively fresh I was able to undo most of it. A few threads remain so I am afraid that his hold has been strengthened somewhat. He shouldn't be able to reach her when she's awake anymore.” The elder miko sat down on the grass and her attention fixed on Kagome. “Now sweetheart tell me about that dream of yours.”

Kagome gave a detailed account of what she had saw all the while pulling her fingers through Misery's hair. Sango and Midoriko listened intently while she related the vision of the oni contractors in the sky, the army on the ground and the fire bombardment. She ended with Cernonnus spreading his wings in front of a full moon.

“Full moon? That's impossible. The new moon is tonight. There is no way that there was a full moon last night in Tokyo.” Sango suddenly considered.

“A sign perhaps?” Kagome thought out loud.

“I am unsure of the significance at the moment Kagome. I do not know if there is any importance to the moon. What you saw could have been part historical and part premonition. Did you inform Inuyasha about the revelation of the contractors and their role in the extermination?” Midoriko asked.

“Yes.”

“Now we wait. Inform me if you have any more visions. I am going to float around those men and see what they have come up with.” She winked at them before turning into a ball of energy. “Kagome. We will meet later to begin your training. Sango you are welcome to join us. Tell Misery that the offer extends to her as well.”

Kagome and Sango watched as the sparkling orb vanished out of their eyesight. Both sets of eyes settled on the head in the miko's lap. What horrors had she experienced after the attack on Tokyo? How had it felt to know that she was vulnerable to him at any time? Had the bond not been weakened how long would it have taken for her to break? They had come close to losing the battle a few minutes ago but thanks to Midoriko they were offered a second chance. Sango reassured Kagome by squeezing her hand as they both were thinking the same thing.

X-X-X-X-X

Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha left the control room late in the morning; brains drained from the overload of information that had flooded their minds. Inuyasha still had yet to make mention of his fear for the evening. When they were alone in the open yard of the base he began the delicate conversation.

“Hey Sessh?” He timidly asked.

“What is it brother?” Sesshoumaru paused beneath a large tree, leaning on it as he observed the nervous actions of the young hanyou.

“Do you know what night it will be?” Inuyasha inquired.

“The night of the new moon. Your human night if I'm not mistaken.” He responded nonchalantly.

Inuyasha stared out at the bustling activity in the center of the base before moving over to sit at the opposite side of the tree as Sesshoumaru. He was afraid to know his brother's thoughts and his pride kept him from asking anything more.

“Do you fear this night?” The unemotional question came.

“Feh!”

“She will be safe. I give you my word.”

The understanding that formed before them today was monumental. The early rays of the morning sun had seen Inuyasha offer his protection to his brother's mate and the midday sun has seen a return of the favor. United finally under a common goal all former quarrels were absolved with that binding covenant between the two. A sense of security wrapped around the hanyou with his brother's words and he stood to acknowledge the offering.

“Thanks.”

Both brothers caught the scent of their mates in the air and moved to investigate their whereabouts. Rustling through the bushes they came across the trio resting in the heat of the sun. Misery lay unconsciousness in Kagome's lap causing Sesshoumaru to race to her side.

“What is the meaning of this?” He questioned the two females harshly while he pulled Misery into his arms.

“Midoriko. Cernonnus had developed another bond with Misery. We suspect that he obtained her blood from the hound that bit her. The bond allowed him to reach her when she was fully alert. Midoriko was able to remove most of the bond but it proved to be a trying experience for Misery. She is fine Sesshoumaru just exhausted.” Kagome explained allowing the youkai to remove the girl from her protection.

“Truly the esteemed miko was able to assist her?” Sesshoumaru looked at Kagome with unsure but hopeful eyes.

“Yes. Cernonnus may have thought he was being tricky but his plans have been foiled. I fear her night terrors will be worse than before though. Keep her close my Lord. She will be in great need of you until that beast is brought down.” Kagome again removed a strand of hair from Misery's face that the wind had blown across her cheek.

“What of you miko? What has he done to you?” The concerned voice of the taiyoukai wasn't something she had been prepared for. Kagome was deeply touched at his obvious worry for her.

She huffed slightly in muffled laughter before locking her eyes firmly with his. “Cernonnus picked the wrong girl to screw with. All he succeed to do is piss me off to no end. I would be lying if I said that what he did hadn't affected me. My heart breaks for those lives and I feel absolutely responsible. I am both a blessing to this world and a curse. I have accepted the fact that my life means death for others. That is a fact that I realize I cannot change. What I can do is fight against this evil and I intend to with every fiber of my being. I will not stop until I draw my last breath.”

Sesshoumaru offered her a rare smile and brought a hand up to rest on her shoulder. In a brotherly fashion he raised the hand and lightly ruffled her hair. Gathering the sleeping nephilim he stood and addressed his brother.

“You chose well Inuyasha. She is an amazing woman indeed.”

Inuyasha blushed as the uncommon praise and moved out of the way to allow the man to pass. Once Sesshoumaru was out of sight he reached down to assist Kagome to stand and then offered a hand to Sango.

“Very few have ever held such high admiration from Sesshoumaru-sama. It seems oddly fitting that you would have that honour.” Sango smiled at her friend.

“Feh! Like I need him to tell me she was special. I've known that for years!” Inuyasha scoffed trying desperately to regain some pride. He didn't like the girls seeing him blush under his brother's praise. “Better get you back to that monk Sango!”

Both girls grinned at each other as they watched the hanyou lead the way from the clearing. Sharing a moment they linked arms and followed, enjoying the calming effects of the island's beauty. This morning had been quite the experience and they wondered what the afternoon would bring.