InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ New Moon, New You ( Chapter 30 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Alright! Great reviews! Thank you angel-up-above-heaven, Kryptoinuyasha, wbk, Inugoddess715, Inuyashaxkagome1994, InuKeo, Catbaker, Inuyashalover94, and la623!

Special thanks to Kokoronagomu for the editing! Sorry 'bout the missing you know what! You never know about the future though. A reappearance could be in the cards.


New Moon, New You

The afternoon crept by as Kagome listened carefully to the instruction of Midoriko. Sango had joined her in the clearing and currently was watching intently with Kirara as the ancient one demonstrated some of her barrier techniques. Misery had remained behind for some much needed rest under the watchful eye of her taiyoukai. The hours stretched on and Kagome was finding that Midoriko had been correct in the assumption that she had been born with the knowledge of her powers. Quickly she had picked up on the many techniques she had been shown and the knowledge of unknown versions and techniques were quickly filling her mind. Midoriko had been shocked to see some of the power she had shown so readily.

“What is your reiki telling you child?” Midoriko finally took a seat beside the taijiya.

“It's so strange. When we started I knew nothing, but now it's as if I woke up remembering so much about what was locked away.” As if to demonstrate she held out her hand and easily lit a power ball in her hand. One fling of her arm and she brought down a large tree nearby.

“Amazing!” Sango chimed in. “Your eyes change colour now with your reiki. What else can you do?”
“Barriers of all types, defensive attacks, these little reiki orbs and of course my arrows.” Kagome sat beside them ticking off each ability with her fingers.

“Perhaps you should spar against Sango and see what other battle abilities you have gained. I assume by your learning today that you will pick up skills in that area as well. You are a miko Kagome. As such you are blessed with the skills of a protector. You have the ability to erect barriers and fire arrows with spiritual power. Miko were also responsible for slaying all sorts of evil supernatural beings in the old times. Sparring against Sango will help you better develop your skills as a warrior. Misery would also be a wise choice. You two have not seen her in battle and it would be most beneficial if you became comfortable with her abilities. As far as we know, other than Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru, she is the only creature alive that has gone up against Cernonnus and survived.” Midoriko offered her wisdom.

“Right.” Kagome nodded. “We done for the day?” She questioned looking at the slowly lowering sun on the horizon.

“Yes. Tomorrow practice your fighting. I will see you then.” The ancient miko sparkled before vanishing into thin air.

“Tomorrow it is.” She gave the taijiya a determined look.

The pair pulled each other up and began the short trip back to the barracks. The sun was quickly setting and Kagome hurried to make it in before Inuyasha's human night took effect. Kicking off their shoes they entered and were quickly greeted by the rest of the group sitting around the common table. Misery was stirring a pot on the stove so the pair went to assist her with the final preparation of the food. Exotic smells floated up from the pots and Kagome was interested in the brightly coloured dishes and aromatic scents.

“Native island cuisine tonight!” Misery smiled at the two quickly shooing them away and gesturing them to be seated.

“Are you sure you don't need any help?” Sango asked.

“Almost done. Keep those boys out of the fruit.” She pulled out a few serving dishes and began piling the food onto them.

Placing the first few dishes onto the set table, she busied herself with transferring the last few dishes. Sitting beside Sesshoumaru she began to describe the foreign cuisine.

“Tonight you'll experience a little of Madagascar's cuisine. This island is roughly between there and Australia so I thought it would be nice to try some of their food! There is rice and then we have a few types of laoka. That one is called trondro gassy which is white fish with zucchini and tomato. There is a type of dried meat in that dish and anyone with sensitive taste buds will want to avoid this one. I put extra ginger and curry in it. Dig in!”

Inuyasha eyed the hot plate warily before passing it quickly to Kagome. She smiled taking the offending plater and dished a portion for herself. The group participated in light conversation until the meal ended. After clearing the main course dishes the girls returned from the kitchen hoisting beautiful platters of freshly cut fruit of all varieties complete with fruit dip. The platters were put in the living room on the coffee table and the pack settled in for an evening of laughter and snacks.

Kagome was having such a wonderful time that she hadn't noticed the sun dip below the horizon and the new moon begin its ascent. She had been helping the girls put away the left over fruit when a strange feeling pricked at her psych. The youki felt similar to Inuyasha's but it was changing as she moved closer. Entering the living room she was horrified to find Inuyasha collapsed on the floor and the rest of the group backed up along one wall.

“What's going on! Inuyasha!” She cried out hurrying over to her collapsed mate.

A strong arm reached out and halted her forward movement. She was surprised to find Sesshoumaru pulling her in by his side. Even stranger was that he quickly pushed her behind him and Misery pulled her into her arms. The two girls were clearly being separated from the hanyou on the floor. Movement from his huddled form made Kagome peer around her brother-in-law; her eyes widening at what she saw. Inuyasha was beginning to move, crawling up onto his hands and knees. His long silver hair was turning black and for a moment Kagome felt relieved that his human form was indeed making an appearance. The hair shimmered jet black and Inuyasha raised his face to stare at her. Kagome gasped when his eyes flooded red and his hair flooded silver again. Grabbing his head he howled in pain as the loud sound of popping bone filled the air. Kagome screamed out for him and rushed forward again only to be hauled against the chest of the taiyoukai.

“Wait Kagome, we can not be sure what is happening.” Sesshoumaru told the distraught girl who struggled fruitlessly in his arms.

“But he's in pain! I have to go to him.” She cried again; her tears assaulting the nose of her captor.

He did not wish to distress the girl anymore but he could not allow her to come to any harm either. He had promised his brother and if he had to protect the miko from Inuyasha himself, then he would do so. It was obvious that the hanyou was going through some sort of change. No doubt from his ritual with the miko. Was it possible that her reiki and their connection was transforming him? As he watched he could tell the bones were reforming in his brother's body. Lengthening, twisting, strengthening and changing before their very eyes. His body seemed to be fighting an internal battle. The youkai was purging the human blood from his body, distorting it and reforming it into pure youkai. Would his brother become the mindless beast from his past?

“Incredible!” Misery spoke up behind him and began approaching Inuyasha.

“Stand back Misery.” Sesshoumaru uttered the low warning instantly halting his own mate.

“What's going on!” Kagome worriedly asked the researcher.

“It appears that his body is transforming into full youkai. It's in essence reforming the human aspects; the old tissue and bone that was human is now youkai. The night of the new moon was the only time that the human form was complete. His youkai must have seized the opportunity to flush out his human half.”

“You mean he's turning youkai? Full youkai?” Kagome asked in wonder. She remembered what had happened before when he had lost Tetsusaiga in battle and the beast within had taken over. He had turned into a blood thirsty youkai. Her worst nightmares were developing before her very eyes.

Inuyasha finally fell still and quiet. The stunned group waited for any sign that the senseless beast had returned. Sesshoumaru again tucked Kagome behind him when Inuyasha struggled to sit up. Red eyes flashed and locked with his own amber ones. He waited in anticipation for the attack that was sure to come.

“Oi wench! Why are you hiding behind Sesshoumaru? Kami does my head hurt. What the hell just happened?” Inuyasha closed his eyes tightly and moved to lean against the bottom of a nearby couch. He cradled his pounding head between his hands.

“Inuyasha?” Kagome's hopeful voice was slightly muffled behind the great taiyoukai.

“Not so loud Kagome! Kami I feel like I've been beat to a pulp.” The inu responded.

“Brother. What are you feeling?” Sesshoumaru was anxious to see if his brother remained in the same state of mind.

“What do you mean? My whole body aches.” Inuyasha looked up; the red draining from the whites of his eyes revealing his normal hues.

“Do you feel anxious or angry at all?” Again the taiyoukai inquired.

“Just tired. Why are you asking such stupid questions and why the hell does Kagome smell like you?” He looked up and tried to stand. Shippo placed a hand on his shoulder and gestured for him to remain where he was.

“You changed. Your youkai has purged your body of your human blood. We we're not sure of the end results.” Sesshoumaru finally released Kagome once he was sure he detected no hostility coming from his former hanyou brother.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome raced to her mates side and embraced him in a tight hold.

The former hanyou was now aware of the source of fear he had originally detected in the room. No doubt they had all assumed his transformation would leave him in the deranged state he had fell into years prior. The beast had gained control over him without Tetsusaiga to restrain it and he had ended up slaughtering a whole group of bandits. They had been wise to fear him. Pulling Kagome into his lap he sought out Sesshoumaru with his eyes.

“Thank you.” He whispered knowing that the Sesshoumaru and Shippo would be the only ones able to hear his sentiment. Sesshoumaru nodded before returning to the couch opposite him.

Inuyasha was relived that his brother had thought to protect Kagome from him. Even more relieved that he hadn't become a threat to his own mate. Kagome clung to him, silent tears dampening his collar. Rubbing her back he pondered the change in himself. Already the drumming in his head was quieting and the aches in his body dulling. His vision was sharper and his hearing keener. Being full youkai would definitely have its benefits. He had gone through so much change since being transported into modern Japan. The night he and Kagome had used their reiki and youki to form a bond between them, his senses had sharpened and the telltale signs of his youkai had appeared on his cheeks. Tonight he should have become vulnerable as his human half reappeared with the new moon. Instead that half was lost to him forever. He knew that he had retained the human feelings but after getting to know his brother in this time he was certain that humans and youkai both possessed similar feelings of affection. Did he regret that he would never again be human? No. He hadn't become the killer he had once feared. Now he would be able to protect Kagome without hesitation. He was stronger, more capable. Thus Kagome was safer. How could he regret being given an opportunity such as this?

He smiled thinking about how he had craved the power of the jewel for so long, thinking it his only opportunity to become full youkai. Now a few short years after being freed from Goshinboku the little miko was the one who ultimately granted his wish. A wish he had forgotten about months after traveling in her company. Fate had a strange way of coming full circle. A sudden gasp from Kagome brought him out of his thoughts.

“What is it?” He asked quietly, concerned amber eyes locked on the wide eyed stare of his miko.

“Your ears Inuyasha. Your beautiful ears. They're gone!” She wailed, mist formed in her blue eyes and her lip trembled.

Reaching a clawed hand up to his head he indeed found the furry appendages to be missing. Trailing a finger down he found the pointed ears identical to his brother's now firmly intact on the sides of his head.

“So they are.” He grinned only to have Kagome break into another fit of sobs. Knowing that the change in him would be difficult for her he carefully lifted her into his arms and carried her to the solitude of their room. It would be best if they had some privacy to get acquainted with the new him.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome tucked the sheet under her arm and snuggled into the side of her youkai lover. Her skin was drenched in perspiration from their latest 'reacquainting' coupled with the heat of the island night. She sighed contentedly as Inuyasha pulled an exceptional claw through her tangled hair. He had been so gentle and careful as they had come to terms with his changed form. His claws were longer and sharper as were his fangs and it had taken some time for him to gain confidence that he would not harm her with them. The lack of those cute furry triangles perched upon his silvery mane was something she would always wish for but she had to admit that the pointed ears did make him quite the handsome catch. He looked more mature now, not quite the teenage boy she had met. They had also discovered that he had gained some considerable height and was surely as tall as Sesshoumaru.

“What did you think of that?” Inuyasha's smug questions interrupted her thought.

“You keep that up and I won't be able to move from this bed.” She giggled. Her muscles were definitely going to be sore in the morning.

“Just trying to keep you out of trouble wench.” He tightened his hold around her trusting his subconscious to keep his claws from scratching her.

“I'm getting better at that myself!” She poked him playfully in the ribs.

“How did your training go today?” He hadn't yet found the opportunity to discuss the topic with her.

“It was surreal Inuyasha. At first I watched Midoriko and thought that there was no way I would be able to master what she was doing. Then with the first try, I felt a flash in my mind. Suddenly I knew exactly what to do. The more moves I tried the more I found I already knew. It was like waking up from a fog. Everything became clear. She wasn't kidding when she told me that all we had to do was unlock my memory.”

“Now what? Do you have more to learn or what?” He was curious at how much she had already learned and what was left.

“Yeah, I still have more to learn. Midoriko suggest I try sparring with Sango and Misery and find out if that triggers any more mental discoveries.” Kagome suddenly had a thought and voiced her question. “Inuyasha? You went with Sesshoumaru to find Misery that night. Did you see her fight? I've only seen her demonstrate her guns. She's never fought with her swords around us.”

“When we got there Cernonnus had her pinned already. She had fought though. He had sent some of his hounds after her and from the way it looked she had killed quite a few before we arrived. I think that her abilities would be greater if she wasn't fighting Cernonnus. She's terrified of him and that fear can affect one's ability to perform.” He began. “Do you think she'll spar with her swords? She doesn't seem to like using them.”

“I know. I guess I'll have to wait and see. It would be best if we were familiar with her abilities before battle.” Kagome tried to stifle a yawn as she snuggled in closer to her mate's side. “Don't you think Inuyasha?”

“Yeah I guess. You're not going into battle though remember. Neither is Misery! Sesshoumaru and I will handle things. Miroku and Sango will help too.” He stated matter-of-factly.

“Huh? What the hell is that supposed to mean? I'm training my ass off so that we can all fight that monster!” Kagome shifted to stare down at Inuyasha, glaring at him for all she was worth.

“No way wench! Miroku, Sango, and I are your guardians. We protect you. Midoriko made that very clear when she passed us through the well. Sesshoumaru is a added bonus. We've already talked about this. Shippo is going to stay with you and Missy while we go away on missions. That's final!” He too sat up to growl at her.

“Decided! I wasn't in on the discussion. I have my doubts that Misery knows either. What missions?” Crossing her arms she made it clear that the topic was far from finished.

“Missions! Exactly what it sounds like. Kouga and his group have located multiple factions of contractors. We are going to go wipe them out! Simple as that!” He grumbled.

“When was I going to be informed of this?” She suddenly pouted turning way from him.

“Tomorrow likely. We're heading out in the morning.” This time he cowered slightly expecting an outburst from the riled up miko.

“WHAT?!”

The birds nesting in the trees flew from their roosts when her voice cracked the silence. The rest of the inhabitants were also jarred awake when the angery miko screeched out the question.


X-X-X-X-X

“I can't believe you didn't tell me.” Kagome's hurt clearly echoed in her voice as she confronted her good friend.

“I'm sorry Kagome, I was sworn to secrecy. Sesshoumaru is pretty intimidating.” Sango tried to explain as she loaded the last gun and strapped it onto her hip. Adding the two belts of ammunition clips over her chest she smiled down at the miko who was sitting against the wall.

“You could have hinted or something. Technically it wouldn't have been telling me.” Kagome still looked pitiful but offered a small smile to the taijiya.

Miroku entered then bowing to both of them before grabbing two of the bags packed full of additional ammunition and weaponry. Sending her an apologetic grin he offered his hand to Kagome.

“It is time for us to be off Kagome-sama. Please accept my sincerest regrets for not telling you.” Miroku dropped her hand in favor of his leather clad beauty.

“Fine! Just don't do it again. You know that I'm helpful too!” She tried once more to gain clearance to go on the mission.

“It is not that we find you weak Kagome. Your safety is our utmost concern. Give us some time to develop our own skills against the oni. Then perhaps you will be able to join us.”

“Right.” Kagome growled before leading the way out of the room.

Miroku and Sango gave each other a worried look before following the disgruntled miko. They were no more comfortable leaving her than they were having her within Cernonnus' reach. It was clear that Kagome was feeling hurt and left out but that could not be helped. It was too soon to be letting her out on the battlefield while she was still learning to use her newly enhanced reiki. Time was what she needed whether she realized it or not.

Making their way to the waiting helicopter they were met by two callous looking youkai. Inuyasha resembled his brother even more now and everyone was still getting used to the pair. Dressed in similar leather body armour with guns and ammo hugging their chests and hips, they were quite the sight. Had Kagome not been holding a grudge against the inu youkai brothers she might have been inclined to drool. Thankfully her sour attitude would save her the embarrassment of openly ogling the pair. She noted that Misery and Shippo were both absent and automatically assumed that the nephilim was likely in no better mood than she.

“Well, don't get yourselves killed!” She snorted with mild disgust before turning on her heel and heading to where she thought Misery might be venting.

“Kagome!” Inuyasha pleaded, obviously hoping for a more loving farewell. He was tempted to go after her but she paused mid-stride to shoot him a malicious look.

“Don't even bother!” She snarled before returning to her fast paced retreat.

Taking a step forward he thought better of it; sighing he backed up to stand beside Sesshoumaru. He noticed the taiyoukai had a tiny sparkle in his eyes. Irritated already by having to spend the later half of the night on the floor, his mood hadn't lifted any after a morning full of silence and death glares from his mate. The smug attitude that was just barely noticeable from the emotionless youkai standing in front of him grated on his nerves to no end.

“Got something to say Sesshoumaru?” He growled making Sango and Miroku back away in fear.

“What did you ask little brother?” Sesshoumaru played along; no expression on his face to relay what he was truly feeling.

“Spit it out already.”

“Troubles Inuyasha?”

“Nothing I can't handle.” Inuyasha crossed his arms and leaned against the wall.

“Indeed!” The taiyoukai finally allowed the smallest of smile to trace his lips.

“Oh give it up! Like you're fairing any better!” He turned to face his brother almost touching foreheads he was so close. Sesshoumaru was unfazed by him as he continued. “I'm sure Misery was just so happy to find out this morning that she was being caged on the island.”

“Doesn't matter. She will remain here where it is safe.” He made the statement as if it was the simplest matter in the world. He hadn't been expecting the outburst she had thrown at him in the isolation of the weapons lab. He was lucky to have emerged unscathed by the arsenal she had thrown his way.

“Yeah, I bet you're really gaining points with her. Baka!” Inuyasha refused to back down.

“Points matter not.”

“They do if you want to get laid asshole.” He smirked.

“Hmf. Indeed. I guess we are on the same playing field again. Seems that you are back to square one Inuyasha.” It was Sesshoumaru's turn to grin as he left the fuming youth behind him and boarded the small fighter helicopter.

Miroku and Sango followed closely, eager to escape the volatile inu who was close to erupting. Kouga was at the controls and soon had the blades turning as he readied them for flight. Inuyasha continued to scowl as he strapped himself into the seat opposite his brother. The battle couldn't come soon enough. He needed to vent and blow off some major steam. The way things were looking he wasn't going to have that opportunity in bed anytime soon.