InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Dark Contract ( Chapter 31 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: This is an extra special chapter! First I want you to check out the great fanart KryptoInuyasha has done for the story! Beautiful. She also has some other wonderful pieces on DeviantArt!

Next I want to thank Kokoronagomu for not only editing my work but adding to it! Thanks!

I can't forget to thank all the wonderful reviews I had on the last chapter. Thank you LadyCash, InuKeo, Black and Bloody Rose, InuyashaxKagome1994, wbk, angel-up-above-heaven, unistar, squeefan, Kryptoinuyasha, and psyco chick32.

The last chapter marked my 100th review on Mediaminer which was snagged by psyco chick32! Thanks. To date I have a total of 196 reviews between Mediaminer, fanfiction and eternal destiny! I also reached 4000 visits with the last chapter. Thank you so much to everyone! Enjoy the next installment.



Dark Contract

Kagome found her island companion in the weapons lab, cleaning what could only be described as a disaster zone. Judging by the debris of broken glass and scattered shelving it appeared that she had not taken kindly to being left behind. Misery looked up from her sweeping when Kagome entered and offered the miko an apologetic grin.

“Sorry about the mess in here.” She hesitated but finally decided to put the broom down.

“This morning must have been a little tense! You didn't hurt him did you?” Kagome grinned.

“Not as much as I wanted too! Who the hell do they think they are? Honestly, leaving us here like a couple of kids. It's down right humiliating.” Misery huffed crossing her arms and blowing a stray tendril of hair out of her face.

“I hear you. I've been training and everything. Don't they realize that we're not some porcelain dolls that need to be put on a shelf? Stupid jerks!”

Misery shook her head in agreement taking a seat on the clean side of the lab. Kagome soon followed pulling up a chair and rested her head in her hands. The two stared at the wall in thought for a few moments before Kagome gathered the courage to ask the researcher about the prospect of sparring.

“Missy, I was wondering if you would like to assist me in my training?” She looked hopefully at her friend.

Misery looked back with deep concern and sighed. She had been warned by Sango that Midoriko had suggest such instruction from her. She had spent the night deciding what course of action she was going to take. Despite her fears, she would finally reveal her true self to this honourable miko. Kagome would keep her secret and Misery had decided that the information had become a necessity for her young friend.

Kagome's shoulders slumped slightly with defeat as she interpreted the other's sad expression and hesitance to answer as a clear sign of unwillingness. She wouldn't push her friend. There was obviously some reason why the other did not wish to train her in anything other than guns. She would respect her friend and not force the matter.

“It's alright Misery. Midoriko merely suggested it.” Kagome smiled lightly.

“No. It's nothing like that Kagome. I was just trying to figure out where to begin. Come with me. I'll just grab a couple of quick things and we'll be off.” Misery blew out a deep breath as she ran a hand through her hair.

Kagome stared in wonder as Misery made a quick stop in the weapons storage room before re-emerging. A grim looking researcher motioned for her to follow. Following Misery out of the building, she walked in silence wondering what had put her friend in such a disheartened mood. Soon they were in the isolated clearing where Midoriko had been training her. Misery sat in the shade of a large palm and laid out the items she had brought. Two guns similar to the ones she had issued to Sango and what looked to be a compact staff like Miroku carried.

“As for weapons Kagome, I want you to use the guns I designed for the elemental bullets. You remember them right? The bullets with each of the four elements contained in them.” To demonstrate she pulled out the silver box and upon opening it handed Kagome the four bullets, each containing one of the elements. “Miroku has also assisted me in making a lighter version of his collapsible staff. He's figured out a way that you can channel your reiki through it meaning that you can fire at objects in long range.”

“That's great! Why the elementals though? I would have been happy with the same thing as Sango.” Kagome smiled excitedly as she inspected her new arsenal.

“To protect you Kagome.” Misery's face set with a bleak expression as she continued her statement. “Protect you from me.”

All the excitement she had been experiencing drained with those few words from a distraught looking Misery. What did she mean? Wasn't she on their side? Another look at her friend made her heart sink. The nephilim wasn't joking. Her face was etched with exhaustion and worry making her look far older than she was.

“What do you mean Misery?” Kagome inched closer resting her hand on the other girls.

“Where do I begin?” Misery side heavily as she leaned her head back to stare idly at the fluffy clouds that floated high above their heads. “You know what I am right?”

“A nephilim?” Kagome questioned back.

“Grandfather was full oni; leader of seventy six legions of fallen angels. Grandmother a gentle human. Their union created my mother. A hanyou of sorts.” She paused to make sure that the miko was following. “My father was a fallen angel as well. That makes me three quarters oni, Kagome. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you?”

“Not really. I'm sorry but what does being mostly oni have to do with needing to protect me from you?” Kagome couldn't put the pieces together.

“Grandfather is an elemental oni. He has the ability to manipulate the four elements. Father had the ability as well as my mother. I too possess the ability. You saw my green thumb the day after I first met you.”

“Momma's and Souta's graves. You made the earth bloom with fresh vegetation. I thought Shippo told me that's all you could do?”

“Kagome, before I tell you anymore you must promise to take the information to the grave with you. I have not even told Shippo my secrets and he is my closest friend. I am trusting this information to you for I feel it is of utmost importance that you know. I will explain more in a moment.” Misery pleaded to the miko, her eyes misting slightly at the pain of her own deception to Shippo.

Kagome nodded firmly, her eyes sharp with determination. A feeling deep inside her told her to trust the girl and that whatever secret was about to fall between them was indeed crucial to the battle they faced.

“You see this.” Misery stretched out her hand revealing the plain silver ring that had always adorned her hand. The ring was beyond aged. The delicate design of Celtic knots well worn on its surface. “It's a binding ring. I had it forged when I was a young girl to limit the use of my powers. I was not keen on the destruction I was capable of, much preferring to grow flowers and learn healing from my mother. No one knows of the power of this ring Kagome. No one but you.”

Kagome finally began to understand the importance of what she was telling her. Misery had been running for most of her life. Preferring to keep her true identity a secret in order to protect others and maintain her own facades. Suddenly she understood the pain in her friends eyes. Misery did not like to deceive yet she had been living a lie in an attempt at self preservation.

“I understand Misery. Please continue.” Supportively she squeezed the other girls hand.

“I couldn't tell anyone because I was afraid of Cernonnus finding out. Kagome, you need to know about me and my abilities. I'm afraid of Cernonnus using me against you. He has sent me some nasty nightmares as of late. His own version of the final battle. When he has me in his grasp Kagome he will pit me against you while he fights Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha.” She shuddered in memory of the nightmares. This was the first she had told anyone of the actual content of her latest dreams. “I've witnessed our final moments Kagome and I have resolved to change that outcome.”

“Misery, we won't let him take you.”

“Such innocence.” Misery smiled as she raised a hand to brush Kagome's cheek. “It's not a question really Kagome. He will take me eventually. I've known that for years. The prey can only run so long from the predator.”

“But Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha...” She was silenced when Misery placed a finger over her lips and shook her head.

“No Kagome, I have seen my fate. I have accepted it as well. The only option we have to get through it is if you are prepared to battle me.” Leaning her head back again to stare at the sky an overwhelming calm descended upon her. That admission of her fears had taken a huge burden off her shoulders.

“I can't fight you Misery. You're my friend. I could never hurt you.” Kagome shook her head vigorously. She found the idea horrific.

“It won't really be me Kagome. Cernonnus will have long before taken over my mind and likely my body as well. He wishes to have me by his side, his queen of destruction. The only way that will happen is if he makes me into a mindless puppet. I know that he will remove the ring and when he does my powers will be unleashed. I will use everything I possess to try and destroy you Kagome. I will assault you with fire and wind. Hurt you with what I have contained for so long. ” She spoke quietly.

Kagome shook her head as tears flooded down her face. She couldn't accept this. How could she fight someone she had come to care about? Cernonnus could only be described as evil itself if he would plot such a devious plan. Misery's gentle hand came up to wipe away the tears that had streaked down her face.

“I will train with you when the other's are on missions. No one must know what we are up to. Our secret will keep the information away from Cernonnus. I will remove my ring around you and you shall learn how to counter my attacks.” She picked up the guns and looked thoughtfully at them. “These are your last line of defense Kagome. Shooting these four bullets into me will end my attacks.”

“But you said before that using the opposite element will destroy the oni opponent.” Kagome finally realized the full implication of what Misery was asking of her.

“I would rather you kill me Kagome than have Cernonnus use me against you. I cannot be allowed to open those gates. You are the only one who will be able to stop me once he has gained control of my mind.”

“Sesshoumaru...” Kagome muttered thinking of the devastation he would endure if Misery was to perish.

“It is because of him that I ask you this. I can not bear the thought of hurting him.” A tear rolled of her cheek.

“You love him don't you?” The miko asked quietly. She had always known that Misery harboured much love for the taiyoukai but this was the first time she believed her friend had realized the extent of her own feelings.

“I had ran for so long that I thought I was incapable of developing such a relationship. I thought I bound myself to him out of a simple need for protection. I cannot deny my feelings any longer. Please Kagome, you must make this vow with me.” Pleading eyes bore into the miko.

“Is there no other option?” Kagome's mind was racing trying to formulate another line of attack against the evil that threatened.

“We must be prepared for the worst.” Misery grabbed her hands and squeezed them tightly.

All of her training could never have prepared her for this. Would she truly be faced with such a horrible outcome? Could she promise to kill her friend? The grip on her hands tightened as Misery allowed her tears to flow. Kagome knew in that moment that the nephilim was right. The whole world depended on her to keep the gates of the oni dimension from opening. Her life since the Shikon no Tama had been proof that sacrifices were necessary, if not simply a sad truth. The truth of her decision would not lessen the pain any but she would carry this terrible burden in order to preserve mankind.

“Misery, I will not let your sacrifice been for naught. That is my promise to you.”

The pair openly sobbed at the dark contract that had been forged between them. Embracing each other tightly they sought comfort from one another as they came to grips with the future to come. Misery would die to protect them all. Kagome would kill to save the world. Fate had not been kind to them but despite its seeming unfairness, it could not be ignored.

X-X-X-X-X

Sango and Miroku rubbed their sore muscles as they waited once again on the helicopter. The battle had gone better than expected. Both were finding that they had mastered their new weapons and were comfortable in their futuristic surroundings. The three months lack of fighting had proven that they had been slightly out of practice but they had pulled through with admirable determination. They smiled to the two inu youkai who were now boarding.

“Kami we stink!” Inuyasha grumbled wiping the few remaining chunks of oni off his leather body armour.

The taiyoukai that came to sit beside him raised an eyebrow at the dirty appearance of them all. How could they have known the after effects of Misery's gun Retribution? She had only said that it had the ability to destroy multiple oni with one shot. Obviously she had failed to mention the splatter factor of the blast it produced. Inuyasha wasn't the only one covered in the sickly smelling substance. The monk and taijiya had been spared from most of the blast and were currently in much better shape than his brother and him.

The hum of the blades quickly lulled their human companions to sleep as they began the long trip home. Silence stretched between Inuyasha and his brother and he soon lost himself in his thoughts. He wondered about what greeting he would get upon his arrival back on base. Would Kagome still be infuriated with his deceit or would the time been enough to calm her raging temper? He wasn't excited about the prospect of another night on the floor. The luxuries of modern beds had not been lost on him and he enjoyed the feeling of his miko's warm body intertwined with his.

She had been right to be angry with him though. Trust was very important to Kagome. Important to him as well. He had thought to save Kagome by keeping her in the dark but it would come at a price. Had he broken the trust that had taken so long to form between them?

Shaking his head to clear out the negative thoughts that threatened to consume him he thought about what he had learned about himself today. As a full youkai he had found he acquired some interesting abilities. His sankon tesso was no more than child's play now. He had flicked his claws at an oni, imitating his brother's move, and was astonished when blasts of blue energy flew from them cutting down the oni in flash of searing heat. He smirked remembering the look of appraisal that had momentarily flashed on his brother's face. The remembrance of that elated feeling was short lived as his heart sank again as an image flashed in his mind's eye. Kagome. None of his accomplishments mattered if she was still angry with him.

Sighing heavily he leaned against the wall of the helicopter's hold. She had been so distraught when he had changed into full youkai. The only person to openly accept him as he was had been forced to witness him change into something she had feared. He knew all too well of her nightmares of him turning into a mindless beast. What horror had she experienced as his bones and tissue had changed before her very eyes? What had her thoughts been when she was watching it all unfold? He remembered then her broken expression when she saw his ears missing. Right now he would do anything to make that smile come back on her face. Anything to repair the damage he had done.

Silence in the hold was broken by an almost imperceptible murmur, "You can get the ears back you know."


"What did you say?"


The taiyoukai rolled his eyes, gave a resigned exhale then closed his eyes and with a small surge of youki his elf-like ears became two twitching triangles near the top of his head.


“What the...?!"


“We are not born with a humanoid appearance. When you found the kitsune he was little more than an infant, that is why he still had attributes of his true form. Since you are able to retain your bipedal form you must surely be able to transform your whole body... or parts of it."

Nodding his head in understanding Inuyasha closed his eyes and concentrated at his latest desire. He urged his youki to flow towards his head and pictured his former appearance in his mind. He soon felt his ears begin to move and distort. Finishing he looked at his brother for approval.

“Perhaps you should use a mirror next time.” His brother grinned.

“What do you mean?” Inuyasha scowled. Reaching up he found the source of his brothers amusement. The fury appendages where randomly placed on his head. One having only made the transition part way up his skull and the other, though high on his head, was closer to the back rather than the middle.

Sesshoumaru twitched in eyebrow trying to contain the mirth that threatened to spill from his lips. His brother looked ridiculous. Sighing in an attempt to regain his impeccable self control he offered up some sound advice.

“Practice before you try showing your miko. Right now you're liable to scare her or disgust her. We'll be at the base in a few hours. You have plenty of time to perfect it.”

“Feh!” Inuyasha responded but immediately returned his ears to normal and began to try again.

Sesshoumaru watched in idle amusement as Inuyasha worked on his technique. He soon found himself lost in envisioning the beauty of his mate. Inuyasha had hit a sour note early in the morning over his comment on points. No one needed to tell him about points. He had been trying his hardest to gain his mate's respect. He was in the same boat as Inuyasha. Whatever trust he had gained he had surely lost by forcing her compliance on the missions. She had turned into a ball of fury in the morning, calling him every name in the book and inventing a few more colourful terms to voice her opinion of him.

He craved her. The nights were particularly tough. Forced to lie with her, unable to touch for fear of Cernonnus finding the opportunity to invade her mind in her throes of passion. Not knowing how it might have ended if the beast had never interrupted them the few nights before. He remembered the taste of her skin. The feeling of its satiny smoothness. Her response to his touch. He had never been so encouraged by her. Their bond was more than just a forced act of protection. He had to believe that she cared about him. Longed for him somewhere deep inside her broken soul. For her to take a chance on him had to mean something.

Obsessed. That's how he felt. No doubt lingered on his feelings for her now. She was his life. His reason for existence. He would die for her. Never had he been consumed by such intense feelings. Was this what it was like for Inuyasha? How had he coped with having Kagome with him while he battled Naraku? Sesshoumaru would risk damaging the trust he had gained just to keep her safe. He didn't want to have to worry about her as he fought against the oni. Admiration bloomed inside of him for his kin. His hanyou brother was indeed a remarkable creature. The bond he shared with the miko must be one of unprecedented proportions. He would speak with him later about the matter of taking a mate into battle. Misery and Kagome after all, could not be left behind forever.


X-X-X-X-X

The afternoon had been heart wrenching and inspiring all in the same. Misery and Kagome had began immediate work on their training, focusing on the staff and had spent until the sun dipped below the horizon in the isolated clearing. Cooling down they again took a seat under the giant palm.

“You've learned at amazing speeds!” Misery grinned watching as the miko collapsed the staff and tucked it into the rear pocket of her pants.

“Well, Midoriko did say I was born with the knowledge.” Joining the red head under the tree Kagome reached for the tin of elemental bullets.

“Kagome, I will train you using blanks in the gun. I think though that I will tell you now how the elementals work. Ordinarily, using these bullets on an oni would vaporize them on the spot.”

Kagome shuddered thinking of her friend being rendered into nothing more than a pile of ash. She felt her heart break all over again but courageously fought the tears that threatened. This was important and she would do her best to be an apt student.
“Because the bullets contain my own essence within them, I will react differently. You must make sure to take deadly aim Kagome. The bullets will only neutralize my power for a short while. Aim for my heart. Your only chance of survival will be for me to bleed out before I regain my abilities. You must fire them all in rapid succession.” Misery's stern face left no room for disagreement.

A small light of hope flickered in Kagome's soul. These bullets would mean the demise of her friend but she now hoped that that could be avoided. She nodded her head in acknowledgment of her friend's words but her mind was lost in thought. Misery would only perish if shot in a vital location. Could she possibly bend the terms of their dark contract? Would she be able to avoid murdering her friend? Only time would tell. She prayed to the kami that their contract would not come to term. Again she reminded herself that this battle was not about themselves. They had a whole world to protect. Try as she might to save Misery she had to put the safety of mankind first. A daunting prospect. A unfair appointment. Her grim conclusion was forged and Kagome stood with stark intent moulding her features into an expressionless mask. Whatever may have remained in her of the innocent school girl she had once been, now was crushed under the responsibility she had taken on. To save lives she would have to take life. She would save her kindling flame of hope for the battle. It would do her no good to have an unrealistic idea of what could happen. For the time being she would bank on her only option of winning to be at the sacrifice of Misery.

“Hear that? The helicopter's returning.” Misery spoke joining her miko.

“What do you say we welcome them with open arms.” Kagome's eyes misted slightly.

“I guess I had better make the best of my time.” Misery understood where the other was going with her words. Her time was limited. No use in holding grudges against the men. It was high time that she allowed herself the luxury of love. Reaching out she grasped Kagome's shoulder and drew her in for another embrace.

Finally they broke from the comfort of their embrace; their melancholy smiles the only evidence of the hurt they felt as they braved the unknown future. Silently they made their way to the landing pad carefully wading through the thick vegetation. Arriving at their destination they found the blades had stopped turning and the group was already exiting the hold of the helicopter. Miroku and Sango offered a wave in the distance as they made their way to the barracks. Misery opted to wait at the edge of the forest for her mate to come to her while Kagome walked solemnly towards the inu brothers.

Kagome stared intently at the pair now realizing the suffering they would endure in the last battle. Both would have to witness their mates battling to the death while they were helpless to do anything. Her eyes shifted from Inuyasha to Sesshoumaru and a knot formed in her chest. How could she possibly deal with knowing that he would be losing his mate.? Unable to stop herself she grabbed the taiyoukai and hugged him viciously.

Sesshoumaru was taken back by the sudden show of affection from his brother's miko. He turned his shocked eyes to Inuyasha silently pleading for him to pry the emotional girl off him. Unfortunately the younger youkai was far to stunned to anything but stare open jawed at them. He smelt the signs of distress on her and his eyes instantly shot to his own mate. She appeared well enough in the distance but he was anxious to seek her out.

A faint whisper floated to his ears, “Cherish her with every fiber of your being.”

With her quiet words she extricated herself from his body and moved to Inuyasha, catching his stunned face in her hands. Pressing her forehead against his, she drew him into a passionate kiss, willing away her own hurt and welcoming the rush of excitement that surged through her veins. She would forgive him for anything. How could she not knowing what she knew? They had a lifetime to resolve their differences but now such arguments seemed so petty. How long did Sesshoumaru and Misery have together? Years, months, or maybe just days?

Breaking her kiss she watched as Sesshoumaru joined Misery at the edge of the landing area. A single tear rolled down her face when she watched Misery extend her hand to the taiyoukai. Sesshoumaru accepted it and appeared surprised when Misery pulled him closer and wrapped her arms around his neck. When they kissed Kagome pulled Inuyasha towards the barracks to give the couple some privacy. She hoped that tonight Misery would let her feelings free and monopolize on the opportunity presented, for their time together was limited.

“Oi wench! Why are you so emotional?” Inuyasha called out as he was drug behind her.

“I'm just glad that you came back unhurt.” She lied hoping that he wouldn't pick up on her duplicity.

“Kagome, I need a shower before we head to bed. I'm covered in oni guts!” He pointed out when they reached their lodgings.

“Alright! Maybe I'll join you. I know how many hard to reach places you have.” She grinned wickedly in a desperate attempt to loose herself in the moment.

“That's a deal wench!”