InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Floating in a Sea of Disaster ( Chapter 32 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Quick thanks this week to everyone who reviewed. Thanks also to Kryptoinuyasha for another lovely piece of art. Check it out!!!

Thank you Kokoronagomu for your time and effort with this chapter! Always appreciated.




Floating in a Sea of Disaster

Inuyasha watched his miko carefully under hooded eyes. The night had gone much better than he had originally expected but something was very wrong with his mate. She was preoccupied with her thoughts. So much so that after several failed attempts to put her in the mood he gave up in favor of holding her. What was going on in that head of hers? He had caught her in a state of severe melancholy a few times during the night and the sense of unease he felt continued to grow. Sleep eluded them both as they lay there in silence for hours on end. He held her and said nothing until the tightness in his chest became too much. She was suffering. Suffering over something he knew nothing about and was trying so hard not to burden him with her pain. Strong, brave Kagome was once again trying to protect him from her own harsh reality.

“Koishii? You should talk about it.” He whispered his words of encouragement into her ear.

“Kobito, I'm fine. Really.” She yawned exhausted yet unable to find the recuperative sleep she required.

“That's why you can't sleep. Why you can't look me in the eye without tears forming. Do you not trust me? Have I changed so much that you can't confide in me?” He voiced his concern.

“Nothing like that Inuyasha.”

Silence again. What was she hiding? Why wouldn't she confide in him? Suddenly all the self confidence he had gained in his transformation came tumbling down. Was it because he exhibited traits of a full youkai? He felt different on the outside but nothing had changed in his heart.

“I'm still the same Kagome.”

Kagome was startled by the statement. What was he talking about? Of course he was the same.

“I know.”

“Do you Kagome? My body has changed; my appearance. My heart has stayed the same.” He sat up and pulled her with him. Quickly he repositioned so that he faced her. The limited light of the newly regenerating moon filtered around him making him just visible to the miko before him. The practice on the helicopter paid off and he kept careful vigil on her eyes as he regenerated his hanyou ears. His heart leaped at the excited wide-eyed expression that quickly transformed her sad face.

“Inuyasha!” She gasped reaching out to touch the cute appendages.

“If you prefer the ears...” He trailed off when she began to rub them lightly.

“I told you many times in the past Inuyasha that I loved you as hanyou. You really haven't changed have you?” A hint of awe laced her gentle voice as she inspected his appearance.

“I am still hanyou Kagome. My looks haven't changed that. I am son of a powerful youkai and son of a mortal human. That will never change. Sesshoumaru told me today that my youki combined with your reiki to give me a 'power boost'.” Inuyasha paused trying to remember the words Sesshoumaru had used to describe the change. The words failed him and he struggled trying to make Kagome understand. “I'm still two halves united in a singular form. The parts have shifted that's all. Remember when I lost Tetsusaiga and slaughtered those bandits?”

Kagome nodded then smiled when his hand came up to brush her cheek.

“That was me as full youkai. I couldn't become that and still protect you Kagome. My youki changed my body to give me the strength to protect you. It realizes just how formidable an opponent Cernonnus is. My body has changed but not the human heart that my mother gifted to me. Your reiki became intertwined with my soul in our ritual. Your love has grounded me... forever changing me. I don't need Tetsusaiga to bind my youkai half anymore Kagome. You have freed me.” Moving forward he brushed a light kiss over her forehead.

“I am always your hanyou Kagome. You have freed me three times now. First my body from its prison on Goshinboku. Secondly my human heart from the prejudice that broke my ability to trust and love. And now my youkai from the need to be binded. Because of you I am finally the man my father envisioned. Under your guidance I have conquered my own self doubt and learned the importance of my human half and the strength of my youkai. Your influence taught me that it mattered not what others thought of me but what I thought of myself. Your strength was and is my anchor. I am eternally hanyou; whether I appear it or not.”

Kagome's smile brightened the darkened room. So lost in her own despair she had not stopped to think about how her mood might affect her mate. He had gone through so much in the past day and although her current thoughts had not been on his new form it was a concern she had developed. Crawling onto his lap she raised up so that she was looking down at his upturned face.

“May I try something Inuyasha?” She whispered huskily already drowning in his amber eyes. Her reiki surged and light pink orbs began appearing around her.

Lost in her radiant glow he could barely nod in agreement. The warmth of her reiki embraced him and calmed his unsettled nerves. A surge in energy exploded around them bathing them in a swirling cloud of her spiritual glow. Heat exploded in his ears when she leaned forward and kissed each fury triangle.

Seeing him in such a state had triggered a thought in Kagome. She knew she could do this. After all wasn't it her reiki intermingled with his youki that had brought about this change in the first place? Channeling her love she sought to make one change of her own and she soon felt his youki comply. Ceasing her administrations she sat back to admire her handy work.

“What was that?” Inuyasha smirked feeling drunk off her reiki.

“Are your still trying to hold the image of your ears in your mind?” She asked calmly already aware of the answer.

“Crap, I was so caught up with what you were doing. Give me a minute. I'll bring them back.” His eyebrows furred as he tried to concentrate on the vision once more. He was interrupted by Kagome's laughter.

“Silly boy. Your cute ears are still on your head.”

“What?!”

“Sesshoumaru told you that it was the influence of my reiki that gave your youkai its ability to change your body. I just used some of my influence again to convince it to indulge my preference. I think your youkai has a big soft spot for me. Looks like now you'll have to concentrate if you want to look like Sesshoumaru.”

Inuyasha swiveled his ears as if testing the truth of her words. He felt more comfortable with himself now that triangles had regained their rightful place on his head. A long time ago he had been ashamed of the markings of his heritage. Now he felt empowered by them. Kagome adored his dog ears and with them he felt he belonged solely to her.

“Inuyasha?” Her sad voice had returned.

“Koishii?”

“It wasn't your youkai looks that were troubling me.” She stared out the window gathering her thoughts. “I have been given the responsibility of yet another task. Part of the burden of this new charge is that it must remain a secret. I know that I said before that I couldn't stand any secrets between us.”

“Then tell me.” Inuyasha stared at his mate. What had transpired when he was gone?

“Do you trust me Kobito?” An expressionless mask had taken over her face.

“Trust you?”

“You must believe me when I tell you that what I know is crucial to the survival of mankind. So important that it was be protected at all costs. Protected from being spoken aloud in the presence of any other except myself and those directly involved. I hate having to deceive you Inuyasha but I dare not expose this secret. Would you hate me for agreeing to such terms?”
“Kagome.”

“Tell me Inuyasha. Do you trust me enough to make this decision on my own?”

He had never seen Kagome look like this. Hard, determined and dramatic. Whatever truth she was hiding he had to support her. Kagome would not make an idle promise to anyone. The secret she protected had to be of great importance if she felt she couldn't even tell him.

“If you are positive about this Kagome then I will trust you. If the burden becomes too great, know that I will always carry it for you.”

“Thank you Kobito.”

Kagome suddenly grinned devilishly and pushed Inuyasha backwards on the bed. Straddling him her eyes sparkled with merriment. Pinning him with her weight she moved suggestively over top of him while lightly rubbing his ears.

“Tell me Inuyasha, can I still get the same response from ear rubs?” She laughed heartily when he faked a leg spasm. Growling he reversed their positions and did his best to ease the pain she had been suffering.

X-X-X-X-X

Closing the distance between them Sesshoumaru's thoughts lingered on the strange behaviour of the miko. Why had she embraced him so ferociously? Misery waited for him on the edge of the landing zone and soon he was standing in front of her. Hesitant eyes greeted him and when her hand gently grasped his own he felt the familiar tingling begin. With misty eyes and trembling lips she gazed up at him as if searching for something. Tentative arms wrapped over his shoulders and she raised herself onto her toes.

“Welcome home.” She whispers as she gently brushed her lips over his.

“Indeed.” He raised an eyebrow causing her to blush heavily as she lowered herself back onto her heels.

Wrinkling her nose she finally noticed the remnants of the battle clinging to his clothing. Suddenly she found her heart racing. He hadn't been injured had he? Concerned eyes scanned his body and she reached out to gently touch a rip in his leather armour. The skin beneath had already healed but she could tell from the blood trimming the edges of the ragged material that the attacker had dealt a nasty blow.

“You were injured.” She breathed when his hands came to rest on her waist. Her blush deepened under his intense gaze.

“It's nothing.” Husky words filled the air around her.
Smiling she pulled at his hand leading him back into the growth behind her. He followed, silently lost in the smile she had graciously bestowed upon him. The smile that was so unlike any one he had ever seen before. A smile meant solely for him. The sound of the crashing surf taunted his senses, the fresh scent of sea calmed his battle hardened soul.

Misery dropped his hand as she stopped at the edge of the warm ocean. Pulling her boots and socks off she moved towards him with stealthy ease. He caught her hands when she undid the first button on his leather coat.

“Misery?” He drawled out the question barely trusting his own voice. She was a vision on the beach. The stars shining down lighting her silver eyes. The soft breeze shifted her hair around her face caressing the sensual curves of her cheeks. What was her intent?

“You smell.” She smiled again prying her hands out of his own and resuming her task.

Popping the last button she opened the blood splattered jacket at his neck and slowly tugged it down his shoulders. Her hands fell on his waist and with trembling fingers she urged his shirt out of his pants. He assisted her by pulling it off over his head. Dropping it carelessly to the ground he returned the favor. A slight flick of his wrist brought her shirt from the confines of her army fatigues. Wrapping a bare arm around her waist he tenderly drug the thin material over her head. Passionate eyes appraised her partially nude body. All that separated their skin was her sports bra and their pants.

He placed a chaste kiss on her forehead but stood transfixed when she pushed him away. Beaming at him she unfastened her belt and slowly pulled down her pants. A beach goddess stood before him in all her natural glory. Leaving her underwear on, she suddenly shot passed him knocking him into the sand. A jovial laugh was heard as she raced and dived into the waiting waves.

Recovering from the shock of her playful attitude he locked her in his predatory gaze. Quickly removing his boots and leather pants he chased after her. Diving in he felt his boxers cling to his legs. Coming up for air he saw her surface just in front of him; her back turned as she wiped the hair out of her face. Dipping below the surf he sped towards her and grabbed her by the legs pulling her under. Her squeals of surprise where quickly silenced as she disappeared under the foamy water. Tugging her body flush against his he spun them around in the dark mass and then shot them both to the surface.

Her laughter was music to his ears and he watched in delight as she flung her head back and squealed in delight. When she brought her head up he stilled in the water. Rivulets of crystal trailed down her face. Her eyes were so full of life that his breath caught in his throat. In his arms he held an angel. The only woman to breathe life into his cold soul.

His eyes burned with such intensity that she lost all of her former playfulness. They stared in awe at each other as if seeing one another for the first time. Raising her hands from his shoulders she cupped his face. Bending her head slightly she caught his lips and tasted the sensual flavor of his essence. She moaned when his grip loosened enough to let her slowly slide down his body.

With her head slightly below his own Sesshoumaru crushed her against him and stole her breath with the fierceness of his response. This was what it was meant to be. She left no doubt in his mind that their mating was anything but platonic. His mate desired him, wanted and needed him. Struggling to suppress the sudden rise in youki he poured his soul into her trying to convey his feelings with actions.

She felt warm and safe in his embrace. Delicate and fragile too. This was the moment she had been craving since she had intertwined her soul with his. Overcome with emotion she broke the kiss to stare with liquid eyes at his face. Bringing a hand up she traced the colourful markings of his youkai.

“Misery? What's wrong?” His brow furrowed with concern.

The silence wrapped around them for a brief moment before she pulled on his shoulders to raise herself up. A quick kiss to the crescent moon on his forehead was followed by resting her face against his. Her soft voice broke the tension around him.

“I love you.”

A feral growl ripped from his throat and he quickly ushered them out of the water. Laying Misery carefully on the sand he pinned her with his body. Tonight they would seal their fate and bind their souls completely. Tonight she would belong only to him. He to her. No one would interfere and she would close her mind from all distractions. It was to be a night of discovery and moment of love between two people.

As they joined together with the surf lapping at their ankles, Misery let the emotions she had locked deep within to explode. She smiled through the tears at the man above her. Complete. That's how she felt. He had repaired her broken soul with one look of his intense eyes.

Cradling her against his damp skin he held her as she wept.

“I love you too.” His deep voice rumbled in her ear. Had Kagome known what was going to occur tonight? Is that why she whispered her words? She need not worry for he had cherished her the moment he laid eyes on her. Now she was his for all eternity. His to protect. His to love. His life and soul. His Misery.

X-X-X-X-X


Two long weeks passed. Kagome was black and blue from her intense training with the girls. Her secret training with Misery had lent to most of the sore muscles she was sporting but she hadn't stopped trying. Inuyasha hadn't liked the fact that she was appearing to have been the one on the missions and she had to force him more than a few times to leave things be. She didn't blame him for wanting to protect her but she couldn't become stronger if she was always relying on him saving her.

Today she was taking the day off, letting go of her worries and relaxing on the beach. The afternoon sun was now just above the horizon signaling the end of another day. She was busy packing her small beach bag when an eerie feeling fell over her. Standing she paused to take in her surroundings. She felt like she was being watched. Not being able to pick up on any youki or akki she shrugged it off and began her hike back to the barracks.

Arriving, the unsettling feeling in her blossomed into full dread. Something terrible was wrong. Hearing the thump of helicopter blades she decided to wait for her mate before she investigated things further. Approaching the chopper with the wings still rotating she grabbed the hanyou as he stepped out of the hold.

“How did the mission go?” She shouted over the noise of the engine.

“It didn't.” Inuyasha shouted back. The pilot cut the engine and the noise began to dissipate.

“What?” This was not sounding good. Maybe this was why she had that sickening feeling.

“It was a dead end. There wasn't a single contractor in sight! They must have caught wind of our plans.” He responded once they had come to a stop. The rest of the gang was quickly catching up to them.

“I hope that's it.” She muttered mostly to herself.

Inuyasha carefully watched Kagome. It was obvious to him that she was on edge and now her lightly whispered words only added to his impending sense of unease.

“What do you mean Kagome?” He grasped her elbow and forced her to look at him.

“I'm not sure. I was leaving the beach and I felt as if someone was watching me. Then the closer I got to the base the worse the feeling became.” She explained, the worry clearly etched on her face.

“Someone was watching you!” Growling he envisioned a peeping tom in the bushes eyeballing his beautiful and barely clad woman.

“I'm not sure. It just felt that way. I didn't sense any youki or akki.”

“Kagome-sama, are you sure?” Miroku had joined the couple along with Sango and Sesshoumaru.

“I'm certain. I'm very good at sensing auras. I would have known if there was something present.”

“Kagome!” A distant voice shouted at them. Turning they all watched as a wide eyed kitsune race frantically towards them.

“Shippo, what's wrong?” Kagome pushed away from her protective mate to meet her surrogate child half way.

“Kagome! I just found out some terrible news.”
“What is it?” She rubbed his arm to comfort him.

“Well runt? Spit it out.” Inuyasha growled quickly catching up to Kagome.

“The jewel. The jewel is missing.” He whispered, his face as white as a ghost.

“What do you mean? Did someone move it?” Kagome stuttered trying to process the information.

“You all need to follow me.” The kitsune recovered and led the anxious processional into the depths of the secure control room.

X-X-X-X-X

Shippo was sitting at one of the computer stations; his fingers rapidly typing on the keyboard. The others were gathered around him watching the screens he was bringing up.

“I noticed about half an hour ago that our chamber with the jewel hadn't updated its security report. The jewel was still visible on the screen so I decided to do a manual check. When I got there the jewel was gone and someone had done some serious messing around with the room's security programming.” Shippo nodded at Kouga who quickly switched on the large screen above the conference table.

“Watch the screen on the top right.” Shippo indicated and the large screen was suddenly divided into six chambers. Camera images flickered and all eyes riveted on the indicated spot.

A small framed man approached the secure area of the jewel. Carefully he tinkered with the security panel for a few minutes while constantly pausing to check his surroundings. Finally the door to the chamber slid open. Eyes shifted to the camera that was focused on the jewel. Nothing changed.

“He froze the camera!” Kagome exclaimed.

The retreating form of the man could again be seen on the screen in the top right corner.

“This can't be happening!” She cried out as her knees buckled underneath her. Inuyasha was quick to catch her and held her carefully around the waist.

“It gets worse. The jewel went missing early this morning. The last sighting of the culprit is on one of the island border cameras. He left by small boat slipping through the barrier at around 6:30am.” Shippo began, perspiration dripping down his forehead as he eyed his alpha. “The same camera captures this at two this afternoon.”

All eyes widened as they witnessed a zombie version of Misery stumbling along the beach and disappearing into the water. A light glowed from outside the barrier appeared and swooped to the water's edge as soon as the girl was through. Kagome let out a sob before collapsing and Sesshoumaru's roar of rage shook the building.

The final battle had begun.