InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Fallen ( Chapter 33 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Just got back from beautiful Kaua'i. Sorry for making you all wait for the next installment!
Thanks to Kokoronagomu for the wonderful work on this chapter!

Also, thank you to everyone who left me such great reviews. WKB, animelover23, angel-up-above-heaven, Kryptoinuyasha, InuGoddess715, psyco-chick32, Michelle Weasley Fenton, SistersGrimm, LadyCash, catbaker, black and bloody rose, InuyashaXKagome1994, Sienna-Shirou, Inukeo, Patty 530, la623, and Chanda! Your reviews mean the world to mean!


Fallen

The cool night air caressed her skin as she made her way to the cliff's edge. The morning sun had yet to break through the darkness. The lack of light didn't matter. She had grown accustomed to this trail in the past few weeks, seeking refuge at the edge of the sea. The burden she carried had taken a toll on her nights. Unable to sleep she often made her way to this slope to watch the sunrise and gather her thoughts. Inuyasha was still in the control room with the others formulating a plan so it was here she would wait for him.

Kagome came to her favorite spot and sat on the short cliff listening to the calming sound of the tides breaching the sandy beach. After the evening she had experienced she didn't know why she had attempted to sleep at all. None of her preparation could have ever truly readied her for the coming of this day. Never had she been filled with such dread. Her stomach still turned when she visualized her friend being dragged away from them by an unseen enemy. Some small innocence inside her had held onto the hope that this was nothing more than a horrible nightmare. Morning would come and chase away the demons that haunted her. The first hint of dawn shimmered over the water's edge and she sighed in realization that a new day was beginning and the nightmare continued.

It was likely that today she would face off against a woman she had come to think of as a friend. A sister. Studying the glowing expanse of colour on the horizon she dove deeper into herself. Trying frantically to find the answer to her questions. What did the future hold? Pressing calloused fingers against her temple she rubbed at the tension headache developing. There was no answer. She knew that. Studying her battle hardened hands her jaw set in grim determination. Finally she saw herself for what she really was. A weapon born into this world. A genetic creation of the kami to alter the course of the fates. The Shikon no Tama had been placed in her body as if a key to her ignition. She had been allowed a scant fifteen years to operate as a normal human. Her miko codes had birthed the same day the jewel had been torn from her body. She had ignored the signs then. Not wanting to give herself to the reiki that pulsed inside her. Confusion had given way to ignorance and she had been happy to try and forget the voices that hummed inside each time she had used her power. Childish! She had been so childish to think she could ignore her own fate. So much suffering could have been avoided if she had embraced her power so much sooner. Naraku would not have been allowed to wreak so much havoc on the feudal era. Perhaps Momma and Souta would have still been alive. Misery still in the welcoming home of her friends.

Training this past month had shown the true extent to the destruction she was capable off. The weapon she was. The others had garnered her a miko of light. A woman of compassion. Would she remain that when this was done? Could she remain a miko of light when her hands were stained red with the blood of her friend? To kill what was not evil, was to become evil. She had only used her powers in the most dire of situations before. Preferring to use them to create diversions or to just wound.

The knot in her temple tightened. Wounding Misery would not be an option. After fighting against her she knew that the girl would not go down easily. She would fight until the last breath left her body. A lump formed in her throat as she remembered the first time they drew blood on each other. Kagome had tried to block the nephilim's attack and had braced against the blade storm. The tiny blades flew past her giving her little time to erect a barrier. Thin rivulets of blood had began trickling down her face and arms when the last of the blades had flown past. Instinct had taken over and she had quickly countered. Pulling her staff from her belt she had hit the button transforming it to its full size. Diving to avoid another onslaught, she brought the staff in front of her and in a loud shout commanded her reiki into the end. A pink orb had propelled forth connecting with a sickening blast to Misery's midsection. Kagome had collapsed in horror as Misery's silver eyes had locked with hers, blood trickling from her mouth. The orb had passed clean through her body leaving a gapping hole in the girl's side.

Despite her pain Misery had thought only to comfort the young miko. Holding an arm protectively over her wound she crouched beside Kagome whispering words of comfort.

Kagome. It's alright. I'm healing already. You reacted perfectly.” She had encouraged.

“I can't do this!” The miko had wailed grasping the other's shoulder. “I can't kill you!”

A faint smile graced the lips of the injured woman. “You can and you will Kagome. I do not envy your position but you are the only one who can complete the task. You will fight me Kagome and you will win. You have promised me this.

I promised I know. I hurt everywhere though Miss. My heart feels like a little more of it is hollowed out with each passing day. I'm cracking under this pressure.” Her whimper was barely audible.

I know sweetie. You have to stay strong. You're a soldier now. You can't think like a civilian. We have to toughen up your emotions. You can't see me as your friend when we fight Kagome. Train yourself to see me as an enemy. Let your instincts guide you.” With those final words she tilted the miko's face up with strong fingers. “There can only be one outcome Kagome. I must be stopped. You know that as well as I. Courage. Strength. Determination. Three words you must focus on all the time. You have these attributes Kagome. You were born for this life. Stay true to yourself. Trust in your own abilities. Take strength from those who offer it. Remember that Inuyasha is your anchor. Keep him close and you will prevail. I have trust in you Kagome. I believe in you...”

“How can you say that knowing that I will end your life.”

Misery pressed her fingers to her lips and shook her head. Smiling she stood and pulled Kagome to her feet. “No more talk of such matters. I am healing well. Let's call it a day. We'll practice as usual tomorrow.”

Kagome kicked her legs out from under her and stretched then leaning back on her arms she stared up at the dawning sky. That day seemed so long ago now. Years almost. She found it difficult to believe that it had only been a week ago. A thin cloud drifted above and she watched it casually. How could Misery have taken it all in stride? She talked of strength and courage. Determination. Yet she had so easily accepted her own fate. Death. Kagome felt the anger begin to rise. Frustrated she struggled to upright herself and in a wild temper she grabbed a nearby rock and threw it out to sea. Cursing loudly at her friend in the process. Crossing her arms she pouted. Losing her temper hadn't accomplished anything and now she felt childish for the outburst. But dammit all to hell. Misery was just plain stupid. She should be taking her own lectures to heart. Not giving up and just letting Cernonnus take control of her like that.

“You're not cursing at me are you?” A voice smirked behind her.

Startled she turned, another rock in her hand ready to attack if need be. Laughing amber eyes met hers and she relaxed instantly.

“Inuyasha, you scared me.”

“What are you up to Kagome? Shouldn't you be sleeping.” He watched carefully as she turned and silently tossed the rock into the surf.

“Shouldn't you be sleeping?” She countered his question.

He joined her and sat in silence observing the sunrise. Returning to the barracks he knew that she wouldn't be there. Kagome had been slipping out before dawn for the last few weeks. Sleep avoided her more and more and the strain of being the protector was beginning to be too much for her. He spent countless hours worrying about it. Unable to spend the time he longed to because of the endless missions he and the others had been involved in. Her eyes were what startled him the most. Unusual blue eyes that had become hauntingly violet and bordering burgundy. Eyes that literally projected the anguish and inner turmoil that his miko endured. Each day he saw a little more of her die. The life flitting out of her eyes like leaves from the autumn trees. He was her guardian and yet he held no power to lift the burden from her delicate shoulders.

“I think it's time you reveal your secret Kagome.” He finally broke the silence between them.

“I agree. I was waiting for you to finish. I don't even know where to begin.” Her voice was eerily calm as if she had come to some strange peace.

Inuyasha sat listening carefully as she began at the beginning, the day she first trained with Midoriko. He sat in stunned silence as she explained the awakening of her reiki from day to day through the training. He smelt the heaviness of her scent as she continued on with her tale lost in the her own anguish. His heart stopped when she revealed the details of the dark contract she had forged with Misery. When she finished she was still staring blankly at the rolling surf. He thought carefully about what she had told him. Analyzing the details and coming to an understanding. She had known all this time. Shouldering a burden of unprecedented proportions. Strong Kagome. Caring Kagome. He drew a ragged breath and pulled his hand down his face. What could he say to comfort her? Was there any way to prevent the girls from fighting? What of his brother? Should Kagome kill Misery would he be forced to protect his mate from the wrath of his brother?

“What are the plans?” Kagome asked casually pulling the inu from his thoughts.

“Shippo seems to think that he knows where the gates may be. Did he tell you about when he was injured by oni in the Carpathian mountains?”

“No but Misery told Sango and I the tale.”

“I guess he remembers some ruins along the trail they took that summer. We fly in an hour.”

Kagome nodded still lost in the rhythmic motion of the water. Her face was expressionless as she began preparing herself for the battle. Misery wanted a soldier and she would be damned if she let her friend down. Steeling her face in a somber expression she stood.

“Are you ready for this Kagome?” Inuyasha looked up at her, not at all liking the sudden change in her aura.

“This day has been fated. I will honour my promise Inuyasha.”

“Kagome,” He began as he stood. Grasping her shoulders he pulled her around to face him. “I will be by your side through all of this. That is where I belong. I am yours. My life is yours alone. Do not leave me.”

Kagome's eyes had flooded to that peculiar burgundy and her reiki crackled around her. “Misery told me you are my anchor. I have become a weapon Inuyasha. Are you capable of loving a weapon?”

He frowned at her suddenly distant expression and without fear embraced the crackling girl. “You are only Kagome to me. The woman that freed me from my prison. The one who taught me of trust, love and compassion. No I cannot love a weapon. I can only love you. You may be a trained fighter now Kagome, but you are no weapon. You are full of light and compassion.”

The girl in his arms slumped suddenly before tightly clutching at his shirt. He held her tight waiting for the storm of her emotions to pass. Moments later she pushed back enough to look up at his face.

“I don't know what will happen Inuyasha. I'm frightened.”

“That's natural koishii. I will be by your side. We will do this together. Promise me aisai that you will not leave me. That you will stand at my side for years to come.” He voiced his concern huskily not wanting the extent of his worries to be betrayed by his voice.

Her eyes shimmered with the dampness of tears but not one fell from her eyes. She nodded her head frantically. “I promise Inuyasha.”

He growled hungrily as he pulled her shivering body higher so that his lips could taste the sweetness of her.

“I'll never leave your side. You're mine Kagome and nothing will take you from me.” He breathed against her lips before placing another bruising kiss to her swollen mouth.

Pulling away finally he stared down at her. Heaven help Cernonnus if he laid one hand on her. Kami help anyone that messed with his mate. He growled in frustration as his youki surged in a possessive urge to protect his own. A soft finger rose to lightly trace his markings.

“I love you so much.” She whispered and stretched to place a feathery kiss on his face.

Lifting her in his arms he cuddled her while they began the slow walk back to the base. He needed the intimate contact badly. She was more than willing to find comfort in his arms. The battle would come soon enough.

X-X-X-X-X

“Ten minutes to arrival!” The pilot announced over their headsets.

The small fighter helicopter had been flying for hours and the team was more than anxious to be on the ground. Miroku and Sango had watched in frightened fascination when Kagome had decided to inform Sesshoumaru on the secret training sessions Misery and she had been involved in. Sango and the monk had stared in utter disbelief when Kagome had begun discussing the contract the pair had agreed on. The tension had become almost unbearable between the brothers when she had told them all it was a death contract. Sesshoumaru had obviously been fighting the primal urge to protect his mate and Inuyasha had actually placed Tetsusaiga between the taiyoukai and the miko. Kagome had waited for his wrath expectantly, never once breaking eye contact between herself and the conflicted youkai.

Sesshoumaru's commanding nature had eventually won over the battle within and he accepted the miko's words, actually going so far as thanking her for her honesty. Kagome had nodded in response but her eyes spoke volumes. One look and the taiyoukai could see the anguish. This was not a duty she took lightly and it was one she planned on fulfilling.

Silently they approached their final destination. Shippo pointed out the left window at the ruins of the ancient city. The walls emerged from the mountains, erecting a barrier between the two ranges in the valley below. High cliffs dropped into a narrow ravine, green grass extending to the edges of a crystal clear lake. They were all quick to analyze their surroundings. Mentally mapping the area for battle reference. The towering walls of the mountains made escape almost impossible. The battle would have to be ended there for only one team could emerge from the valley victorious. Kagome's eyes fell to the broken remains of a once great castle as the pilot maneuvered the helicopter around. Her eyes fell to two figures standing on the highest peak of the remains. She couldn't make out faces but she knew who they were.

“They're waiting for us.” She mouthed.

Everyone's eyes riveted to the right side of the aircraft eager to get a look at their opponents. All catching a quick glance before the pilot lowered the helicopter on a ridge above the valley. Sango and Miroku were the first to exit, Kirara following her mistress and instantly transforming into her battle size. Shippo helped them begin unloading the weapons while Inuyasha assisted Kagome out. Sesshoumaru almost had to be restrained from jumping from the cliff in an attempt to reach his mate.

“Patience Sesshoumaru!” Inuyasha warned still holding his brother until he was sure the elder youkai was safely back to the right frame of mind.

“I commend you on your ability to fight with your mate brother. I am finding the transition rather difficult.” Sesshoumaru quietly spoke to the hanyou.

“Feh. I've had years to practice. You going to be okay from here on in? I have Kagome to worry about. I can't keep an eye on you too.”

Sesshoumaru forced his youki to calm and mentally prepared himself for the battle to come. It had been so long since he had felt this rage. Not since the time of the feudal era. The power seemed a little foreign to him and he was ashamed that he was so out of practice. As he willed the chilling battle sense to take over he slowly began to re-associate himself with the heartless being he had once been. The cool and collected man of his past soon began to reappear. It was like something that had been missing had been found and put back in place. Pulling Bakusaiga, he made a few practice swings and was delighted at the fluid movement he produced. Perhaps he was not as out of practice as originally thought. The emotionless face came naturally then and his hard eyes bore into his brother's.

Inuyasha nodded in approval recognizing the now impressive statue of his brother. Not that that modern version was not, but the Sesshoumaru standing before him now was every bit the taiyoukai he had left in the feudal era. Sesshoumaru may have lost his edge as he assimilated into the modern world. But Cernonnus had brought back the youkai to his former glory by taking his mate.

“You two idiots going to stand there and mark your territory or what?” Shippo growled agitatedly. “Misery's down there and we're already heading down!”

Inuyasha turned to see that indeed the others had begun their descend down the treacherous side of the mountain. Kagome was leading the party, making her way carefully down the goat trail. Cursing he jogged after them anxious to reach his own mate.

X-X-X-X-X

“That's them all right. Bastard.” Shippo cursed lowering the binoculars from the foliage. They had made good time down the hillside, the mid-day sun creating shadows to hide behind in the recesses of the trees and shrubs that dotted the hills of the valley. True, Cernonnus knew they were coming, but he didn't need to know their exact position.

“I can sense the jewel. Can you see where he's hiding it?” Kagome asked and patiently waited while the kitsune again inspected the castle boundaries.

“Dammit!” Shippo cursed again. “He's wearing it around his neck. This isn't good.”

Kagome scowled before snatching the binoculars and pushing the unsuspecting kitsune over. Raising the instrument to her eyes she focused in on the enemy. He was seated in a ornately carved throne smugly awaiting for their arrival. The jewel hung around his neck, sparkling in the sunlight. Adjusting the field glasses slightly she focused in on her friend. Her breath caught with what her eyes beheld.

Dressed in Celtic influenced robes the nephilim had been transformed into an ancient princess. The gown was tight fitting around the bodice but fell in sectional layers around her hips giving the illusion of a full gown but providing it's wearer full mobility for fighting. One bare leg was rested on the seat of the oni's throne showing off a high fawn coloured boot. The hilt of one of her swords was neatly tucked into the top. The sleeveless number also showed that her arms had been decorated with metal arm bands and silver bangles. As she watched Misery stood and began pacing. The opalescent skirt swaying in rhythm to her strides, randomly exposing her legs as she stretched. Cernonnus watched her with hooded eyes, no doubt reveling in his own greatness regarding the pagan princess he had created. Suddenly Misery swung around. Her loose hair flying in the wind. Kagome felt a cold rush go through her when lifeless silver eyes locked on her own.

Dropping the binoculars she paled visibly. Inuyasha growled in concern but she held up a hand to stop him.

“She knows where we are. We may has well just march out there and get this over with.” She braved a smile for the rest of her comrades, but inside the knot of despair was gnawing at her. This was all coming to a head far too fast for her liking. Standing she made her way out of their hiding space, a cursing inuyoukai at her heels. Sango and Miroku took to the air on Kirara preparing to make themselves useful. Sesshoumaru was the last to emerge from the shadows and eerie expression promising certain death etched on his face.

Bravely following the edge of the sparkling lake Kagome made her way to face the impending conflict. She watched as the a shadow of the nekomata floated beside her reassuring her that they were watching from above. Inuyasha soon was striding beside her, one hand resting on the hilt of Tetsusaiga the other on the hilt of his gun. She heard the menacing growls of the two youkai that followed at her heels.

“Welcome!” The merry laughter that followed echoed through the narrow expanse of the valley.

The oni sat comfortably in his throne making no attempt to get up. Cockily he fingered the jewel and patted his lap. Misery, under his mind control smiled sweetly before settling on his lap. A surge of youki vibrated through the area but when Kagome looked back at Sesshoumaru his face was fixed in an expressionless mask. He looked just as smug as the oni, though she saw murder reflecting in his golden eyes.

“I hope your trip wasn't too strenuous?” Cernonnus smiled again as he softly ran his fingers through the nephilim's hair.

“Bastard!” Inuyasha growled pulling the Tetsusaiga from its sheath.

Kagome instinctively placed a restraining hand on her mate's arm, forcing him to stand down.

“Haven't figured out how to use the jewel yet have you Cernonnus?” Kagome taunted trying to buy herself a little time.

“Don't need too. You my dear are going to show me how.” He smiled sickeningly at her.

“How do you figure that?” She asked back sweetly.

“I think that Misery will persuade you quite nicely.” He snapped his fingers and the nephilim's eyes flooded black. She stood obediently beside him as if awaiting his orders.

“You mean kill me. It's hard to get a dead miko to talk Cernonnus.” She spat back.

“Quite right my dear. Perhaps other means are necessary.” He began laughing when the old walls were suddenly flooded with an army of oni contractors.

“Shit!” Shippo cursed turning around to see another legion closing in behind them. “We're surrounded.”

“This isn't looking good.” Miroku exclaimed as he hastily switched off the safety of his gun. He was very thankful for the leather armour Misery had developed. The suits where embroidered with incantations that deflected most of the oni attacks. A fact that he was sure had remained hidden from the oni Lord. Misery had obviously been planning for this battle for a long time and had went out of her way to give them the advantage over their enemies.

Sesshoumaru unsheathed Bakusaiga preferring the sword to the modern weapons that he was carrying. Inuyasha instinctively placed his body between Kagome and the evil above them. She was quick to pull her crossbow and load a clip of silver arrows. The pack tightened placing their backs to each other so that they could face the upcoming attacks of the surrounding contractors. Kagome watched in dismal horror as Cernonnus raised his arm in a signal to attack. The roars of the oni filled the valley as the first lines surged forward. She felt as if she had been transported once again back in time. The oni that approached were not clad in modern clothing, rather they were armoured and dressed in medieval attire, swinging swords and mallets. Cernonnus was indeed planning to remake the world and it seemed he was stuck in a time warp, preferring his gruesome lifestyle of days long past.

Within moments the group was besieged in waves of attackers. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha quickly dispersed the first onslaught with the powerful strokes of Tetsusaiga and Bakusaiga. Miroku and Sango provided sniper services from their precarious perch on Kirara. Shippo was holding his own against the contractors at the rear. Kagome's arrows shimmered pink as they engulfed the contractors.

Somehow in the heat of the battle Kagome became separated from the others and it was then that Cernonnus nodded his head and his pagan princess turned her lethal intent on the miko.

Inuyasha watched in horror as Misery unsheathed her short swords from her boots and took deadly aim at Kagome. He tried to focus on his mate but the continuous aggression limited his abilities. He watched the pair as they ducked and dived each other's blows. Kagome had dropped her crossbow in favor of the staff she now carried. Sesshoumaru was soon beside him helping dispatch the contractors. The numbers of the enemy were dwindling rapidly and the brother's grinned in triumph knowing that they would soon be able to stop the fighting between their mates.

When the last contractor fell Inuyasha felt a sudden pain in his chest. It was if he was being drained of his strength. Turning to look at his teammates he was surprised to see that Shippo and Kirara had fallen to the ground and were unmoving. Miroku and Sango lay not far away in a similar predicament. Facing Sesshoumaru he could see the perspiration beading on his brow. Though his face remained expressionless, he could tell that the elder youkai was experiencing the same pain.

Another menacing laugh ripped through the air. Cernonnus finally stood from his throne and snarled down at them.

“Feeling weak are we? I congratulate you on being stronger than your friends. They were all too easily paralyzed by my abilities. Don't worry though. I'll be able to break you just like them. You may has well sit back and enjoy the show. They are lovely to watch aren't they.” He pointed out the two girls who were still battling ferociously.

“You bastard! What have you done to us!” Inuyasha bellowed outraged at his sudden weakness.

“I may have lied just a teeny weeny bit. You see my fine friends, that little bit of time I spent wondering around in our lovely miko's mind, well let's just say it proved to be most educational.”

“You asshole! Don't think that you have gotten away with this.” Inuyasha growled again struggling to stay upright. He slowly sunk down onto one knee feeling as though gravity was forcibly pulling him down to the ground. Sesshoumaru soon followed suit and they found themselves braced against one another trying desperately to control the affect of Cernonnus' powers.

“Explain yourself!” Sesshoumaru demand.

“My darling queen brought back with her a gift for me. Her blood was in contact with all of you for a long time. Combined with some personal items I had her smuggle on her early departure yesterday and this marvelous jewel I have formed a bond with you. The bond is held in place by your lovely friend. Does it hurt to know that your own mate deceived you?”

“Never!” Sesshoumaru growled.

“Ah yes. I've tormented her for so long. But she belongs to me! She knew that she would ultimately be mine yet she stayed with you. Stayed knowing that through her you would all die. Granted she was under my control when she lifted your belongings but she knew that she would be forced to do so. Betrayal can take all forms. Innocent hers may seem it is still deceit!

“I will have your head for this!” The taiyoukai snarled.

“Oh really! As long as Misery lives I hold this power over you. I'm afraid you are under my control for all eternity. Look, your miko tires already. Why don't you both be quiet now and watch.” Eyes gleamed with sinister intent as he strengthened the spell and sent the brothers to their knees.

Helplessly the pack watched as the two girls assaulted one another. Both were bloodied at this point and it was obvious that Kagome was indeed tiring more rapidly than the nephilim.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome deflected another fire ball that Misery blasted at her. Things were getting bad. Her body was tiring rapidly and it was taking every once of her strength to just dodge the blows. She had scaled up the nearby cliff edge in an attempt to put some distance between them. Misery had responded by climbing the wall beside her. Now Misery was perched on an overhead ledge and sending elemental bursts down at her. Her barrier was quickly weakening and she had to think of something fast. Dropping her barrier she forced her reiki into the end of the staff and send a powerful pink orb crashing into the ledge. The result was a thundering crack and the ledge beneath Misery's feet quickly gave way pitching the red head into a downward fall.

Kagome screamed out her friend's name only to have it catch in her throat. Before her very eyes feathered appendages began to rip from the girls back. Two silver wings fanned out and soon suspended the girl in mid air. One powerful stroke sent Misery back up towards the cliffs. She was just like Cernonnus. Kagome remembered Inuyasha explain how Cernonnus had miraculously grew wings when he had first encountered him. Was this a true fallen angel? Misery had never mentioned this before. How could she have kept this from her? She watched as the winged girl flew higher and higher until the deathly bleak eyes locked on her. Sudden ache filled her heart when she realized the moment for what it was. Kill or be killed. Misery was powering up to deal a fatal blow, her hands glowing as fire flickered between her finger tips. Sobbing Kagome collapsed the staff and quickly pulled her gun from a holster under her leather jacket.

Misery's battle cry resounded through the air as she aimed her two blades at the miko. Kagome's hands shook as she took aim. Squeezing her eyes shut her mind was bombarded with images of days before. The first time she met Misery, the trip to the beach, the endless days in the research labs, the night at the club and finally the last two emotional weeks they had endured. Sesshoumaru's anguished face flashed once before she opened her eyes and pulled the trigger rapidly.

Four cracking bangs bounced off the walls in the valley. The pack watched in panicked disbelief as Misery's body took the blunt force of the blows. Her face skewed in shock as her eyes flooded back to their normal silver colour. Feathers were lost to the wind as her body suddenly plummeted to the icy lake below.