InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Tainted Black ( Chapter 34 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: I couldn't upload the pictures today, but please go to Kryptoinuyasha's Deviant Art profile. (kryptoinuyasha.deviantart.com) She has done two more marvelous pieces of art. The first depicts Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru poking fun at each other in the helicopter and the second is a stunning portrait of Misery in her Celtic warrior clothing! Beautifully done! I am honoured to have such wonderful talent being put towards my story! Thanks Kryptoinu! I will try and get them up in a day or so. Check back on Mediaminer for them!

Special thanks to Kokoronagomu, who despite her fatigue took the time to edit my work! Thanks Sweetie!

Another round of wonderful reviews from all my wonderful readers. Caitypeach22, wbk, CatLover260, angel-up-above-heaven, InuGodess715, KryptoInuyasha, psyco chick32, catbaker, bluemoon4526, Michelle Weasley Fenton, SistersGrimm, LadyCash, la623, Chanda, kmoaton and Patty530 you guys rock!

Also thanks to InuGrrrl from Eternal Destiny for helping me with some HMTL formatting issues that were recurring on that site!

Tainted Black

I finally find myself somewhere I always knew I'd be. It's the end of the line Kags. I'm beyond tired. I close my eyes and I see the green hills of the glen I played in as a child. So peaceful. Mother's there. Laughing as I screw up my face at one of the young boys trying to play the bagpipes.” She paused staring up at the star filled sky. “The voices in the wind. They're all the way from home; I can hear them calling me.”

Kagome heard her voice echoing in her ears as she watched as Misery's wings were lost to the wind in her rapid descent to the earth. Her hands shook terribly and in horror she tossed the weapon aside. Why at a time like this was she remembering their last night alone?

I miss her. You would have liked my mother Kagome. So energetic and lively. Only the tiniest hint of sorrow in her eyes. You would have never known she was so sad.”

In shock, she watched the still plane of water come alive in a dance of waves and foam as Misery's body impacted. Ripples filled the lake as if welcoming its newest guest. What had she done? Her heart constricted in almost unbearable pain as realization dawned. The contract was complete. She had murdered her own friend.

I know I'll go back there. That's why I'm not afraid. I miss the quiet valley and the life I lived then. I miss walking barefoot and riding on one of our sturdy war horses. I miss the old man that taught me swordsmanship. I was not meant for this world of nano machines and weapons of mass destruction. That's the problem with being almost immortal. You outlive your comfort zone. I will not miss this world.”

The small rocks loosened by her feet bounced off the steep ledge below. She had to get down. She had to try and save her. Her hands had been too shaky to have fired any accurate shots. Right? She could only hope that she had missed slightly. Turning to face the rock wall, she began to quickly make her way down from her high perch. Gaining ground she took another look at the now calming surface of the water. Her heart began racing at the sight of the suspended blood that was beginning to rise to the top. No longer could she distinguish Misery in the water’s depths.

Kagome? Will you give Sesshoumaru a message for me when I'm gone? Tell him I spent all my life waiting for that second chance. He awakened me and set my soul on fire. Tell him... that to him I will always belong.”

The lake was just below her as she settled on a small ledge. Cursing she turned and dived into the icy waters.

“Misery you idiot! You can tell him yourself.” She thought as she began to push through the waters towards the dark form below her.

The water was much colder than she thought. Her lungs were soon on fire and screaming for air as she propelled herself further into the water. She was almost there. The faint hand of her friend could be seen but soon Misery would be beyond where the light of day penetrated the water’s depths. Forcing another burst of strength Kagome moved forward grasping the wrist of her fallen angel. Struggling she pulled Misery up; wrapping an arm firmly around the other girl’s waist, Kagome switched directions and began swimming back towards the light. It was proving to be too much stain on her already weakened body. She had spent too much time under and the precious air she needed was still far above their heads.

Kicking her legs she tried to break the surface but the cold compressing weight around her was too much. The light was rapidly fading and she felt so tired. Closing her eyes she finally succumbed to the darkness. A few large bubbles escaped from her slack lips, rushing to be reunited with the air above.

X-X-X-X-X

Cernonnus could not believe what he saw. His Queen. His beautiful creation had fallen to the four shots from the miko. This couldn't be happening. He needed her. Misery had to open the gates. She was to be his lover and co-ruler as he led destruction upon the world with the legions from her grandfather's realm. He had been preparing for years for this day and it was being destroyed before his very eyes. He couldn't comprehend it. The miko was no match for Misery. He had conditioned her for this moment since he had first built the mental connection. She was his dammit! No one would take her.

In a moment of rage he called for his wings intending to cross the lake and destroy the miko on the cliff’s edge himself. She would pay for her indiscretions against his plans. Stretching the white wings his eyes narrowed on the girl who was currently scrambling down towards the lake. His eyes flickered once over the bloody cloud that floated in the lake below her. His queen was gone and it was her fault. Another menacing thought crossed his mind. What is a king without a queen? The girl was not unsightly. Yes this was much better. He would capture her and everyday for eternity she would pay for taking his beloved Misery away.

Pulling his sword he lifted off the ground and prepared to seize the girl. Pushing forward he was suddenly aware of a powerful youki; bringing his sword up just in time to block a fierce blow from an enraged inuyoukai.

Sesshoumaru knew the moment the weight lifted from his body. She had passed. He had been forced to watch, paralyzed by the oni's control, as his brother's sobbing miko had pulled the trigger sending four bullets slamming into the chest of his mate. She had plummeted to the earth in sickening silence and was now encased in a tomb of ice water. The immobility had left his body and he had let his youki take full control. He was not surprised when the beast within did not turn its claws on the miko, rather preferring to engage the oni who was flapping its wings. Kagome had been honest with him and he realized who the real culprit was. When Cernonnus made a move towards the cliffs Sesshoumaru attacked. His eyes long ago had flooded red and his fangs lengthened giving him a terrifying look.

X-X-X-X-X

Weightless. She felt so strange as she fell. The icy cold depths of the lake soon surrounded her. Tinted clouds of red floated like lost jellyfish. It was over. The blood in the water symbolized her freedom. The light of the high sun sent a piercing tunnel into the depths after her.

“Sesshoumaru?” She mouthed; no sound escaping from her lips. An image of his face floated in the light as the darkness threatened. Reaching an arm in front of her she tried to touch his face in the light. She couldn't feel the cold anymore. His face became blurred with the refraction of light as she sunk deeper into the water. Remaining feathers from her now vanished wings trailed above her, following her into the watery grave. It didn't matter though. Cernonnus could never use her again. Kagome and the others were safe. And Sesshoumaru. He would live. Closing her tired eyes she let herself go. Welcoming the darkness that swarmed around her.

When you hear the wind Kagome. See the sunset. You'll know I'm with you; guiding you. I will forever be beside you. Sister.”

X-X-X-X-X

Inuyasha watched as his brother bordered on transformation battling the winged oni. Sesshoumaru could handle him. He needed to get to Kagome. She was likely in shock over her actions and he needed to get her grounded before something bad happened. Turning back to Kagome he watched as she reached the lower levels of the cliff and turning, dived into the lake, no doubt in a futile attempt to save the fallen angel.

Kagome had remained so distant since the night she had revealed that she was harbouring a dark secret. Why had she thought to shoulder the burden alone? He was bothered by the thought that perhaps she did not trust him or was withdrawing from the relationship they had finally forged. Their once warm bed had turned cold as she shied away from his affection at night. The constant missions had driven a wedge between them and he now feared that this separation would prove lethal.

Remembering the morning he spent with his heart aching at how pitiful she had looked. Alone and scared she had embraced the darkness to find solace from her raging emotions. The wind had caressed her skin sending thin tendrils of hair dancing in the breeze. Distant eyes had watched the sun emerge above the surf. What had she been thinking? Why had her aura flickered so?

Now that his unseen shackles had been removed he put on an impressive burst of speed to reach the lake’s edge. Kagome had disappeared beneath the surface a short time before and he was beginning to worry that her breath would fail her before she reached air again. In a few more strides he would be at the edge. A few more steps and he would have his precious miko in his arms where she belonged.

Scanning the water he did not hesitate to dive into the icy waters when he could not sense any movement. A few powerful strokes and he soon saw two still forms suspended below him. Hurrying he made his way to Kagome. Looping his arm around her waist he tucked her safely beside him. Reaching out with his other her wrapped his hand around the slim wrist of his sister-in-law and pushed his way to the surface.

Sango, Shippo and Miroku met him at the shore and assisted in pulling the two girls to the water’s edge. Shippo and Sango immediately pulled Misery onto the rocky beach using the taijiya's lap to cushion her head. Miroku aided Inuyasha with Kagome and after kneeling beside the pair checked to find a pulse on the young miko's neck. A wide smile graced his face when the pulse faintly pushed against the skin of his fingers. Her heart still beat but the monk frowned upon realizing that she had yet to take a breath.

“Inuyasha, breathe for her!” He ordered desperately.

Understanding the urgency of his words Inuyasha dipped beside Kagome and pressed his lips to hers. Tilting her chin and pinching her nose closed, he forced air into her lungs. Breath after breath he gave to her; willing her with his very soul to reciprocate the motion.

“Breathe Kagome.” He whispered between breaths.

A faint stirring of her lips was his first indication of her response to his administrations. Seconds later her chest wheezed as she began gulping greedily for oxygen.

“Easy Kagome. Calm down koishii. I'm here.” He purred; a deep rumble vibrating from his chest in an attempt to sooth his mate. Gathering her once again in his arms he held her tight and turned his attention to the others.

Sango was frantically watching Miroku as he searched for a pulse on the fallen angel. Sorrow filled her eyes when he looked up and mutely answered her with a slow shake of his head. A pulse would not be found on the cold body of their friend. Sango shut her eyes tightly but hot tears streaked down her battle dirtied face. Absentmindedly she stroked the wet tangled mass of red hair trying to calm herself. Miroku moved to sit beside her, wrapping an arm securely around her shoulder. He reached out to touch Misery's face, a single tear the only indication of his emotion.

Shippo sank to the ground beside his companions, face ashen with disbelief. His precious friend was gone from this world. The one he had sworn to protect for all eternity. He had failed her. Allowed their nemesis to steal her away and take control of her troubled mind. She had been the world to him. A companion. A friend. A lover from days past. They had not continued in that direction preferring the stability and comfort from friendship but that did not change the fact that he had loved her. Loved her enough to wish her happiness. Loved her enough to give Sesshoumaru a chance with her. Loved her enough to allow her to keep her secrets. Angry at himself he turned and nailed his fist into a boulder. This was his fault. Misery had trusted him to keep her safe yet he had insisted she join their ranks. If he had kept her from Kagome and the jewel she might have remained hidden from Cernonnus. Cursing he walked away, leaving the rest to stare confusedly at his retreating back.

Inuyasha turned his attention away from the fleeing kitsune to stare at the lifeless face resting on Sango's lap. She looked so peaceful. Her eyes shut; red hair fanning about her angelic face. Her once pink flesh was faded to stark white and her smiling lips where blue and thin. He was sick to think that this was how it would end. That they would all make peace with her fate. That she would have to be sacrificed for humanity. That her sacrifice would go unknown to the majority of the world.

Too many women he had cherished had perished to the twisted fate of the jewel. Kikyo, Mama Higurashi and now Misery. How many more would it consume until it was happy? Who would be next? Sango? Kagome? His youkai raged at that thought. The last two meant more than anything. Sango was a sister to him. He would stop at nothing to save her. Then there was Kagome. Her life was above all others. Staring down at the exhausted girl in his arms he struggled to keep his beast calm. Losing Kagome was a thought he couldn't handle. She was light and compassion. Above all she was life. Vital to his very existence. She was the blood that coursed through his veins and the air he breathed. Without Kagome his life was forfeit.

Her moaning calmed the inner turmoil he suffered and he began to tend to her. Brushing a hand lightly across her face he smiled at her when her eyes adjusted. After she had begun breathing again she had slipped into a faint and now she was returning to consciousness.

“Koishii, you scared me.”

“Inu...yasha?” She breathed.

“It's me Kagome.”

“The water... I was... It was cold.” She muttered trying to put the pieces together.

“That's right you were in the water, but you're safe now. I'm here with you.”

“You came for me. Thank you Inuyasha.” She smiled back.

“I will always come for you Kagome. You’re where I belong.”

With that Kagome frowned and she looked as if she was trying desperately to remember something. Her forehead furrowed in concentration and she quickly looked up at him and repeated his words.

“Where I belong?” She spoke and then her eyes widened in realization. 'Where I belong. Misery wanted me to tell Sessh that. Right!'

“Misery!” She shouted and struggled to free herself wanting to dive back into the lake and retrieve her friend.

Inuyasha had to restrain his struggling mate concluding that she didn't know he had pulled them both out of the water. His heart broke when Kagome turned and saw Sango and Miroku huddled around the body. He tightened his grip when the first heart wrenching sob erupted from her small frame. How much suffering would she have to endure until that damn jewel was happy? How much more would they be victimized by its morbid games?

X-X-X-X-X

Sesshoumaru didn't even wince when Cernonnus' blade cut a thin scratch across his cheek. They had been battling hard and he could tell that the winged bastard was beginning to feel the effects of his poison. Another dive and his blade clipped the tip of one of Cernonnus' wings causing his opponent to howl in frustration. Watching the oni as he propelled himself vertically, Sesshoumaru braced for another attack and was surprised when the oni paused to speak.

“I fear I have tired of this nonsense. I have far better things to do than play with you puppy.” One of his hands toyed with the jewel that hung around his neck.

“Running away already?” Sesshoumaru coolly drawled, throwing the temptation at the fallen angel.

“Hardly. You see I believe that perhaps I lied to you earlier.”

“Explain.”

“Hmm, I told you that Misery stole some of your belongings.” He paused and a malicious smile formed on his lips. “Actually all she stole was one thing.”

“Hn.” Sesshoumaru snarled and sent an energy whip at his nemesis.

It was easily dodged as the jewel began to glow bright pink. The wind picked up suddenly and the jewel flooded black. The taiyoukai narrowed his eyes as he watched the transformation in front of him. Cernonnus' wings were beginning to change colour; soon matching the twisted shade of the Shikon no Tama.

“A certain spirit was gifted to me by Misery. I have returned your ancient miko to the jewel. The dark souls of the contractors your friends slew have been absorbed by the jewel. Thanks to you I have reawakened its powers.” Throwing his head back he laughed.

Sesshoumaru was stunned; his eyes narrowing to slits as he comprehended the weight of the oni's words. If Midoriko had again been encased in the jewel with a new horde of demons, the fighting inside the jewel would have been revived. This did not bode well for them. Naraku's power would pale in comparison to the jewel in this venomous beast’s hands.

Cursing to himself he watched as Cernonnus became corrupted by the jewel. His black wings stretched out before feathers exploded revealing brown leathery appendages. His body morphed somewhat enlarging his form; his skin on his arms became leathery like his wings and the left side of his face took on a molted appearance. Bones cracked and popped as his body grew. Sinister eyes locked on Sesshoumaru and he was suddenly blown back by the huge blast.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome knelt beside the fallen angel. Her heart empty as she looked down at Misery. Sango still held the girl’s head in her lap, hot tears falling on the ashen face. Her red hair damply clung to the slayer's legs. Kagome ignored the clash of metal that sounded from the conflict in front of her, focusing solely on the girl that lay before her. The lake's icy water washed clean the blood that had stained her tight and beautifully designed bodice. Two tiny holes where the only indication of the bullets that had ended her life. Her porcelain skin had another hole at her collarbone and looking down Kagome found the final hole in the bare skin barely showing between her bodice and skirt. Silently she reached out to trail a finger over each offending mark. Her eyes pooled with tears as her fingers stopped over the hole near her breast. The bullet that had left this reminder had surely pierced through Misery's heart. Her swords were still snuggly secured in her leather boots where they had been stored when her wings had erupted.

Wings. Misery had looked so different with silver wings adorning her back. Kagome looked out at the lake and saw the feathers floating on the now calm surface. The wings had vanished just as fast as they had appeared. They had been so symbolic Kagome mused. Her ultimate secret appearing before her final moment of freedom. She had left this world with no hidden secrets. Her soul emancipated from its troubled past. Peaceful. She looked so peaceful but Kagome felt anything but. Her eyes burned as their salty tribute fell. Rage suddenly burst forth and her head shot up to glare at the beast that Sesshoumaru battled with.

Her eyes widened in shock as she saw the jewel flare black and Cernonnus transform. A deafening blast sounded and Sesshoumaru was tossed back landing unceremoniously near them. The oni's immense power had obviously stunned the taiyoukai; she watched as he struggled to his feet. He stepped forward preparing to launch himself at the transformed oni but Kagome rushed to stop him.

“Sesshoumaru! Stop!” She shouted running towards him placing a restraining arm on his. His head snapped around to meet her and she sucked in her breath when blood red eyes locked on her and he emitted a terrifying growl.

“Sesshoumaru, you mustn't continue. The jewel... Cernonnus. You can not hope to beat him yourself!” She continued to plead.

He snarled and snapped at her, more beast than man at the moment. She could see that he was beginning to transform. His nose was taking on canine features and she could hear the odd popping of his bones. Deep inside she heard her reiki calling out to be released. This was to be her fight and she couldn't bear to loose another member of her family so soon. Sesshoumaru was incredibly strong but a foreboding feeling told her that treachery was in the air and they would soon be facing a trial that would test them all and take them to the brink of their limits. She needed to stop him; regrouping would be their best option. Taking another step forward she placed her other hand on his shoulder and let loose a tiny surge of reiki; a voiceless command to stand down. He snarled again but she could tell he was battling to regain his control.

Inuyasha had momentarily watched as Kagome moved to stop Sesshoumaru from transforming and continuing the fight. Although he agreed with his miko he didn't trust Sesshoumaru in his blood rage. He trailed Kagome and was quick to pull her away from his brother and place his own body protectively between them. He had witnessed her aura flare slightly before he reached her and miraculously Sesshoumaru had begun to revert back to his humanoid form, his eyes losing their red stain.

“We have to do this together Sesshoumaru. The bastard’s more powerful than Naraku.” Inuyasha interjected knowing they were individually outmatched by the jewel and Cernonnus.

“Brother.” Sesshoumaru still seemed slightly lost to the blood lust. His eyes flickered over Kagome before looking over her shoulder at the group that had collected on the waters edge.

It was then that his keen eyes caught the sight of her naked legs; the rest of her body obscured behind the backs of the taijiya and monk. The material had dried and tousled around her calves in the wind. Pale legs that were a stark white against the monk’s black leathers.

Kagome and Inuyasha could only watch helplessly as Sesshoumaru let out a pitiful whine and collapsed to his knees. His eyes were locked on the unmoving form mostly hidden behind their comrades. Inuyasha quickly bent to aid his brother up and half pulled him towards Misery. Kagome stayed back, not able to revisit the feeling of emptiness when ever she looked upon Misery's cold features. She could hear the whimpers coming from the taiyoukai and in desperation she turned her attention towards Cernonnus.

“You bastard!” She shouted allowing her reiki to take control.

Her vision blurred momentarily and she knew at that moment there would be no turning back. When her sight cleared it had taken on the red tinge indicating her irises were now deepest burgundy. Her senses flared to life, magnified by the power that soared to the surface and coursed through her veins. This was what Midoriko had been teaching her about. She had always held back afraid of her own strength, but now she would bare it all. Damn the creature that had caused so much suffering. She would send him to a place he had never imagined.

X-X-X-X-X

Sesshoumaru couldn't rid himself of the overwhelming emotion that pounded on his soul. His beautiful mate was lost to the land of the living. Trying to compose himself he leaned his weight on Inuyasha and pulled himself to stand completely. Letting go of Inuyasha he unsheathed Tensaiga and waited for the pulse that would allow him to bring his beloved back to life. The sword glinted in the fading sunlight but nothing happened. Growling he waved the blade over her form. Still nothing.

“Why isn't it working?” Inuyasha suddenly asked.

Sesshoumaru could only whimper before collapsing beside Misery. Of all the gifts his father bestowed upon him he had finally believed the sword worthy when he first saw Misery. Now the infernal blade could not summon back from the depths of the hell the one being that meant the most to him. Carefully he laid the blade on her chest, wrapping her arms over it to clutch it to her body. If it would not raise her from death, it would at least protect her. What he was about to do would surely cause much destruction around them and he was not about to let her body be riddled with any more flaws. Leaving her head resting in Sango's lap he placed a kiss to her cold lips. Standing rigid he addressed the monk.

“You will erect a barrier around the three of you as soon as Inuyasha and I distance ourselves. Under no circumstances will you lower it. Understood.” His resolve had iced his features once more. He would be joining his mate soon enough. He simply wanted her body to remain pure and unscathed through this upcoming battle.

Miroku nodded his acceptance and began preparing himself for the task ahead. Sango was about to protest but one look from Miroku silenced her. He realized the look in Sesshoumaru's eyes. The taiyoukai did not intend to survive this battle and given the roles reversed, he knew that he would do the same. He could not live without his cherished love. Should Sango pass from this world he would follow her in a heart beat. Sango must have realized what was going on for she suddenly bowed in respect and looking up at the Lord nodding her understanding.

With another sorrowful glance at Misery, Sesshoumaru unsheathed Bakusaiga and prepared himself for battle. Inuyasha spared the rest of his pack a quick glance before turning his attention to the miko who was displaying vast amounts of energy. Kagome was down right pissed. Her hair whipped crazily around her and she had expanded her now trademark staff once again. Currently she was engaged in a cursing match with the oni and her reiki flared with each well placed verbal jab.

Just as Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru settled on each side of Kagome, Cernonnus began his assault. A fire storm sprung up around them and quickly began eating up the forest that filled the valley floors. Kagome flung up a barrier to protect them from the blast and they all prepared for the wall of translucent burgundy to drop. For when it fell, all hell was about to reign down in the valley of the gates.