InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Advent Emancipation ( Chapter 35 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Special thanks to KryptoInuyasha for the great artwork. Her latest two pieces should be on mediaminer now, but I highly recommend you check out her deviant art page. Thanks Sweetie! I love all of your wonderful pieces.

Heartfelt appreciation for my amazing beta Kokoronagomu. I have learned so much from you and am happy to have fewer and fewer 'fixes' with each chapter I send you! The time and effort you put into this never ceases to amaze me!

I can't forget about all my wonderful readers! Thanks GrammyInuLvr, la623, kmoaton, Chanda(thanks for recommending this story to others!), kryptoinuyasha, lifesabitch25, unistar, Catlover260, InuGoddess715, angel-up-above-heaven, wbk, caitypeach22, psyco_chick32(thanks for 'luffin' my story and character enough to feature her in your wonderful story... pack law!), catbaker, Sistersgrimm, and Bluemoon4526 for another round of excellent reviews!


Advent Emancipation

It felt like she had been battling for hours, in reality the fight had only been minutes. The forest around them was a crackling inferno and the valley was quickly filling with smoke. The ruins of the castle loomed above them in the eerie blackness. The sun had set behind the mountain range leaving the fire the only light they had to see with. The roar of the firestorm was drowning out the encouraging shouts from Sango and Miroku.

Cernonnus had displayed power like no other quickly wearing them down. Kagome had been constantly pushed behind either Inuyasha or Sesshoumaru during the attacks and was spending more time throwing up barriers than offensively and defensively returning the blows. She was beyond frustrated. Glancing quickly at her two friends who were protecting the body of Misery she let her rage burn again. If the two brothers would give her a chance she would try and purify the jewel. The problem was that she couldn't seem to actively participate in the battle.

“Dammit!” Inuyasha cursed being pushed back by another akki surge Cernonnus threw at him. Tetsusaiga was dug deeply into the ground; Inuyasha clinging to the hilt in an attempt to stand his ground.

“Aim to the left, Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru instructed as he made a lunge at the beast from the opposite side. Inuyasha followed suit taking up rank on the left. Together they attacked but their powerful assaults were blocked again by the winged oni.

“What's with this bastard?” Inuyasha panted when they paused behind one of Kagome's barriers.

“The jewel holds too much power.” The taiyoukai replied.

“What now?” Inuyasha eyed the oni as he laughed maliciously at the group.

“Let me try and purify the jewel!” Kagome growled while still holding up the barrier.

“No way! He's too strong right now. We have to weaken him before I'll let you anywhere near him.” The hanyou snapped.

“But Inuyasha,” Kagome began.

“Drop it Kagome, I'm not risking you.” He looked angrily at her. There was no possible reason that he would ever condone her wishes. Kagome was too precious. Cernonnus was proving to be more hassle than either Sesshoumaru or he had thought. At this rate they would be lucky to break down the bastard's defenses enough for Kagome to get a good shot off at the jewel. This was one battle he would run from if it meant saving Kagome.

“I'm stronger than you think Inuyasha! Let me do this!” Kagome tried again, dropping the innocent girl act to show him the frustration she was feeling.

“I'm sorry Kagome, I just can't.” His jaw set in grim determination and signaled her to drop the barrier.

Kagome sent him a murderous look before shaking her head and letting the barrier fall. She cursed when the pair launched yet another unsuccessful strike.

“Dammit all you two, you're gonna get yourselves killed!” She screamed running to block their fallen forms from another one of Cernonnus' aggressive fireballs. Things were not going well at all. Inuyasha was as arrogant as ever, rushing in with no reasonable thought and Sesshoumaru looked like he didn't care if he made it out alive.

“Miko, do you tire of their antics?” Cernonnus drawled, eying her too lustfully for her comfort.

“I'm getting quite tired of you!” She retorted, flaring her aura to show her displeasure.

“Me? My dear, how can you tire of the man who will be warming your bed for all eternity?”

Kagome's eyes widened in shock at his bold declaration. It was easy to see now that he had been merely toying with them and was simply wearing down the brothers to get to her.

“Betraying your queen so soon Cernonnus?” She spat throughly disgusted with the prospect of him even touching her.

“Betray? Strong accusations coming from the one who killed her. You're just like me Kagome. Easily picking off former alliances to advance your own personal gain.” He smirked when the colour drained from her face and her barrier wavered.

“Die!” Sesshoumaru snarled and lunged forward again. Halfway to his target he felt a painful pull in his chest. A warning of sorts followed by a warm calming inside. 'Misery?' Was her spirit trying to tell him something? It felt like her presence. What was she attempting to show him?

“Enough!” Cernonnus suddenly shouted, raising high in the sky as the jewel pulsed sending a shock wave down around him.

The three were pushed to the ground as the concussion of the jewel's full awakening shook the landscape. Kagome was the first up; crawling to Inuyasha's side to discuss the game plan. When she reached him she was stunned. He was in serious pain. Perspiration beading on his eyebrows as he struggled to right himself. Sesshoumaru was not far away and he too struggled to reach his feet.

“What... this weight... Kagome.” Inuyasha turned his worried face to hers.

“Inuyasha!” She cried out kneeling before him, her hand raising to his face. She couldn't see any physical damage but it was clearly evident that her hanyou was suffering great pain. Wrapping his arm over her shoulder she assisted him the short distance to his brother before throwing up a barrier over them all. She chanced another quick glance to Sango and Miroku; relieved to see that they at least were unharmed. She thought then of Shippo who had disappeared before the fighting and prayed to the kami that her young kitsune was fairing well.

Turning her attention back to Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru she tried to assess their possible injuries. Still nothing could be seen.

“Inuyasha?” She whimpered when his eyes locked with hers. Anguish radiated from deep within the amber globes.

“Run Kagome, save yourself.” He breathed out. The pain was unbelievable. It felt like he was being turned inside out. Propping himself up against Sesshoumaru's back he tried in desperation to get Kagome to safety. His body was not working so he would argue until he was blue in the face just to keep her safe.

“I don't understand? Sesshoumaru you too?” She reached out and placed a hand on her brother in law's forehead. He too was feverish and beads of sweat were beginning to form on his brow.

“Can't move.” He gritted through his teeth. Was this what Miss had been trying to warn him about? Darkness loomed in his soul. The little comfort he had felt knowing that her spirit remained with him soon dissipated with the pain that enveloped him. It would be over soon and he could join his mate in death. Closing his eyes he let his weight push back against his brother.

“Kami! Hang in there you two.” She offered encouragement but her face belied her feelings. Kagome couldn't comprehend what had happened in that blast. The jewel had fully awakened and sent an intangible power burst that seemingly only affected the youkai in their group. Her heart began to race even more when she realized that Shippo was somewhere completely unprotected. She had to end this fast.

“Cernonnus you bastard! What is the meaning of this?!” She challenged him acutely trying to find the answer to their dilemma. What had the oni akki entwined with the jewel done? Why were Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru in so much pain?

“My my Kagome, don't you understand?” The winged creature chuckled. “The jewel is beyond magnificent. It seems that it has taken on a life force of its own. It has graciously allowed me to be its host. The jewel absorbed the akki of the contractors and has developed somewhat of an insatiable appetite. Your friends look to be the main course for the jewel. Even as we speak it is slowly consuming their youki.”

“You monster!” Kagome growled; unhooking her crossbow. With the skill of an seasoned warrior she had it loaded and aimed in seconds. “I'm sick of your twisted games! I'm sick of the jewel's twisted desires! You have no right to play God Cernonnus! It's time you were taken down a peg or two.”

Pulling the trigger she fired the glowing projectile at her nemesis. The firestorm around her adding an erethral glow to the small silver arrow as it sparkled with burgundy as it flew screaming through the smoky night air. Kagome held her breath as she waited for impact. An impact that was not to come. Cernonnus easily dodged the attack, laughing evilly while he powered up and sent another sonic blast back. Kagome was struck and thrown across the small clearing landing a few feet from where Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru had collapsed.

Looking up she was horrified to see that both their eyes had flooded red and their markings had also changed, appearing to seep blood. They had locked arms; still back to back in a last attempt to stay vertical. Sharing their strength, futilely trying to fight the control the jewel had over them.

“Inuyasha?” She whispered watching as he tried to respond to her but no sound passed his lips.

“He's a little preoccupied right now sweetheart. Maybe you should think about what a real man can do for you.”

“You pompous ass! The only thing you're good for is a dirty hide to wipe my feet on!” She growled as her aura spiked. Her eyes, already burgundy, sparked with a raw intensity as she let her reiki come completely to the surface. Dropping her crossbow she again took up her staff, switching the latch that sent it expanding into a weapon of death. The wind whipped her hair about her, fire crackling wildly behind her. Advancing on her opponent she took on the embodiment of an all powerful being. Untamed and infuriated. A feral creature sent to rain justice down upon all things evil. Tonight though she would not attempt a deliverance of mercy. Tonight she would kill again.

X-X-X-X-X

The burning inside was intensifying with each passing breath. It had started in his chest and had spread throughout his entire body. His youki had fought against the manifesting evil within the jewel, but the tainted Shikon no Tama was winning. Inuyasha could actually feel his youki being sucked from him little by little. Unprotected by Kagome's barrier, the last sonic blast had literally blown off the tattered remains of his leather jacket. Despite Misery's best intentions, the sutra embroidered armour could not hold up against a jewel powered oni and the battle with Cernonnus had left it mostly shredded. He wished that he had worn his fire rat instead. Here he was, arms locked at the elbow and back to back with his brother with hardly a stitch of clothing covering his upper half. Completely defenseless. Completely vulnerable. Completely useless.

Kagome was facing all odds by herself and he could do nothing but watch. Wasn't he supposed to be her anchor; her strength? He had lost even the ability to call out to her. What good was he to her now? Sesshoumaru had been made to suffer as they had been incapacitated earlier. Made to watch his own mate killed by one of his pack members. Was this to be the same fate he would have to suffer? He tried to flex his claws, silently willing his aura to flare and break the invisible vise that held him in its grip. Nothing. The only movement was the involuntary contractions of muscles as his body was racked with wave after wave of pain. He could feel the blood dripping from his facial markings, more falling with every bit of his youki that was being absorbed. What would remain when the last left his body? Would he turn human like when he went through the purifying mist at Mount Hei? Or since his transformation would he simply perish? Sesshoumaru was surely to turn to dust as there was no doubt that his brother was full youkai.

Kagome had given up on the crossbow and was now defending herself with the staff. Inuyasha's heart began to race when Cernonnus upped his game and drew his sword. Rushing at Kagome, the beast was enveloped in a shroud of black akki. Ebony tendrils of energy swirled around the blade as evidence of his new power. Inuyasha let out his breath when Kagome dodged the blow. Swinging around she was soon using her staff to block a blow from the akki surrounded blade.

X-X-X-X-X

“Miroku, what is happening out there?” Sango questioned as she watched her friends with worry.

“I'm not sure Sango, it seems as though Inuyasha and Lord Sesshoumaru have been immobilized by Cernonnus. They seem to be in great pain as well. Cernonnus' aura has intensified and is growing with each passing moment.” Miroku deduced as he watched Kagome dodge yet another one of the monster's attacks.

“We have to help her!” Sango pleaded.

“Our duty lies with Misery for the moment Sango.” Miroku's sadness bled ever so slightly into his voice.

“I can't just sit by and watch as Kagome is taken out by that beast!”

“Kagome is handling herself rather well Sango. Be patient.” He tried to calm his distraught taijiya.

“Like hell I'm going to be patient. I'm going!” Sango prepared to move Misery's head off her lap when she noticed Tensaiga beginning to vibrate on the girl's chest.

“Miroku?”

“Tensaiga!” The monk watched in disbelief as the sword began to rattle on top of Misery's body. A loud bang sounded and he turned his attention back to ongoing battle between miko and oni.

X-X-X-X-X

'Damn, this is harder than I thought' Kagome thought as she dodged another blast from Cernonnus' akki possessed sword.

Forcing her reiki into her staff she sent her own power ball sizzling towards her opponent. She grinned when the spiritual orb connected with his chest and sent him reeling backwards. Seconds later she was staff to sword with him, her reiki surging in a desperate dual with his ever tainting akki. This was it. The final moment. Did she have enough strength to see this through? She had to. All the innocent people depended on her to finish this. Sango and Miroku deserved to spend the rest of their lives in peace. Sesshoumaru deserved revenge on this bastard. Inuyasha. She smiled mentally thinking about her hanyou. He deserved so much. She had to do this. She had to be strong enough.

Cernonnus grinned as he pushed her back little by little. His power was overwhelming. The jewel around his neck glimmered in a haze of black anger. This wasn't good. Kagome gritted her teeth and pushed back with all her might, but she was simply too weak. The battle had depleted most of her strength and the jewel was thriving off the combined akki and youki of the now dead oni contractors and what it was stealing from Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha. Momentarily she felt the darkness flooding in, threatening to steal her will to fight.

Strong arms wrapped around her. She quickly looked behind her only to see nothing. Inuyasha was still braced against his brother, anguish and desperation etched on his handsome face. What was going on? Her attention fixed back on her opponent.

“Miko! You'll be mine very soon. Give up already. You're quite the fighter. I have decided to spare you the torment I had sentenced to you earlier for killing my Misery. I love your feisty side. Give up now and I will make you my honoured queen.”

“Rot in hell Cernonnus!” She spat.

“You are a fiery one aren't you! Did I tell you yet how cute you are when you are angry?” He chuckled.

“You're a real sick bastard.”

“You have no idea my sweet.”

Kagome felt the darkness rushing in again as he pushed her back even more. Their weapons were braced against each other. His black swirling cloud combating with her burgundy reiki. Dancing in a strange ballet as their masters fought a battle of life and death. When the force of the tainted jewel became too much and her will to fight dwindled Kagome again felt the strong arms around her. Warm and comforting.

'You can do this. Let me aid you.' A familiar voice spoke inside her mind.

Kagome was confused. The voice was so calming and familiar but she couldn't quite place it. She was so tired. Looking over at Inuyasha she felt so depressed. She was going to fail him. Fail everyone. Momma and Souta would be waiting for her though. She could be with them if she just faltered for but a moment.

'I'm here Kagome. Let me aid you sister. Call out to me and I will fight with you.' The voice spoke again.

Darkness was clouding her vision. The taint of the jewel overpowering her senses. The black akki was swirling all around her now, beating down her burgundy reiki little by little. Her time was coming to an end. She sighed as she prepared to submit to the jewel.

'Now Kagome! Call my name now!' The voice shouted desperately snapping the miko out of her daze.

“Misery?” Kagome breathed out loud.

The call of her name restarted the tiny remnants of her frozen heart giving life to her spirit again. Misery felt as if she was being propelled from the darkened hole of her new found existence back into the light of the living realm. She had spent time between the two worlds waiting for one last call of destiny.

'Let's do this Kagome! Time to kick ass!' Misery spoke as she felt her power build. She had chosen to remain on earth, caught between the borders of the dead and living. Cursing herself to an endless existence on this plain as a spirit with no body, just so she could aid Kagome in her final battle. Eternity was nothing. She could live with herself there knowing she had righted her wrongs and gave her family and friends everything she was capable of. She had fought against the tsukai with her bare hands in order to remain where she was because she'd be damned if she left her friends now.

Kagome couldn't believe what she was feeling and hearing. Misery's words of encouragement sounded in her mind and she felt as though her friend had braced her hands on her shoulders. Her back was warmed by the heat of a body that surely could not be pressed against her. Her eyes widened as the first glints of silver swirled around her staff. Her fighting spirit was renewed and she poured her remaining strength into her attack. This time she would aim for the jewel. If she even had a little help she was sure that she could win. Waves of reassurance and warmth flooded through her and she took a step forward to brace her stance.

“What matter of magic is this miko?” Cernonnus questioned when the silver tendrils began to climb the staff and the girl's strength hastily returned.

“You're downfall Cernonnus!” Kagome spat, the end of the staff glowing as a large burgundy sphere formed at its end. The ball crackled and sparked as it intensified.

'Now Kagome, release your powers now!

Cernonnus eyes widened in disbelief as translucent wings fanned out behind Kagome glinting ever so slightly in the pale moonlight. The faint form of Misery slowly materialized behind the miko. Kagome's hair whipped about wildly in the increasing storm of energy that swirled around her. Eyes flashed in the glowing mist that circled and she slammed them shut as she launched her attack. The reiki charge shot through the air connecting with Cernonnus' chest knocking him backwards. Stumbling and shocked, he was pushed down and in that moment he missed the thunderous crack that vibrated around him.

X-X-X-X-X


“Holy Kami!”

Sango's short statement startled Miroku and he turned his attention away from the nephilim to the battle. It didn't take him long to understand why her attention was fixed on the fight. Kagome's staff was being encircled with silver tendrils of energy. Translucent wings had formed behind her as the her reiki was channeled into an impressive glowing globe. The wings lifted behind her as their miko released her most powerful attack.

A deafening roar shook the valley. Sango and Miroku were blown against the wall of the barrier which instantly dissolved with the monk's lack of concentration. Regaining their surroundings they watched in awe as Tensaiga thrummed loudly as if in sync with a heartbeat. Before their eyes Misery's body began to dissolve around the blade. When the last of her had vanished they shook off their disbelief to rush towards the two inu brothers in hopes of offering aid.

“Inuyasha! Sesshoumaru-sama!” Miroku fell behind the pair and began to assess their condition.

The pair seemed to be ignoring him and their eyes were riveted on the conflict still continuing before them. Cernonnus had been pushed down. Light streamed from the jewel. The souls of the contractors where rushing from a large crack in the stone sphere. Sparkling pink burst forth and Shikon no Tama grew less tainted with every second that passed, the evil draining from the wound inflicted by Kagome. Pink faded; symbolic of the death of the Shikon no Tama.

Miroku watched in astonishment as two streams of light made their way out of the jewel only to slam into the chests of Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. The two smiled as their youki was again infusing into their bodies. Colour was slowly returning to their skin and the strength to their bodies.

“Inuyasha!” Sango cried out trying to help him to his feet when he struggled and fell.

“I have to get to her.” He whined as he again tried to stand.

“Wait until your body restores itself Inuyasha. We will aid her.” Miroku reassured him.

A loud growl made them all turn their attention to the taiyoukai. Sesshoumaru was also trying to stand, his attempts proving futile so soon after the jewel had returned their youki. Miroku was about to help the Lord when he stopped at the sudden change of expression that washed over Sesshoumaru's face. The youkai's face drained of all anger and he stared in wonder at Kagome.

“Misery?” He breathed.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome was amazed that she had cracked the jewel. The life drained from it; washing the final bit of evil it contained from the world. Not that long ago she had purified it, ceasing the eternal battle that had raged within for hundreds of years. She had released the imprisoned miko that had battled within; creating the jewel by sealing her own soul in a heroic attempt to end a battle between herself and a terrifying youkai. Now she had again defeated the jewel though this time she knew for certain it was over. The last of the souls fled the jewel, the last a being of enormous light.

'Midoriko!' Kagome thought as she struggled to remain standing. Exhausted, she watched as the spirit of the ancient priestess circled around her. A final goodbye went unspoken between them. 'May you find eternal peace and freedom friend.'

Her moment of farewell was cut short when Cernonnus began to stir from his landing spot. Angered he ripped the now useless jewel from the chain around his neck. Picking his sword up he slowly strode up to her.

The battle had lasted into the cool night though the air was still warmed by the fire that continued to rage around them. The warmth however did not stop her from shuddering as he approached. Her skin crawled with apprehension and her senses pricked with fear. She was beyond exhausted. Her knees trembled barely supporting her weight. She may have destroyed the jewel but she would not be able to fight against him now. That last attack had taken every ounce of her strength. It was difficult to even breathe now. Her laboured breaths betrayed her weaken state to her opponent.

“Used up everything you had on that did you? It's a pity really,” Cernonnus growled causally glancing at the two youkai who returned his menacing growls. “Your little army seems unable to aid you my dear. I guess the jewel was of some use to me then. Shall we put on a display in front of your mate? Wouldn't he love to witness me make you mine?”

Kagome couldn't even respond. The darkness was again swarming around her. Her moment of absoluteness approached. Even Inuyasha could not save her now.

“I think I've changed my mind. You're too much trouble. I'll just run you through right now. When my blade drips with your blood I will use it to dispatch the rest of your useless group. Your life is mine miko.” He hissed as he lunged forward, sword raised and ready to run her through.

Her eyes faded from burgundy to blue as she watched the tip of the blade as it quickly approached. A faint feeling of breath reached the back of her neck before her world faded black; her knees giving way and she slumped to the ground.

Cernonnus grinned as the miko began to tremble and gave the first signs of her imminent collapse. He witnessed her transformation from powerful miko to weak woman in the blink of an eye. Aiming his sword low, he knew he would connect with her heart when she fell. He did not expect what loomed behind her when her knees buckled and she went down. Expecting to feel the force of his blade impact the female's spent body he was not prepared for the clash of metal as his blade was knocked aside. Fire spread through his chest and he soon realized that the fantastic form that shimmered behind the miko was no longer an intangible being. Misery stood at the end of her short blade that was now embedded deep within his chest.

“My Queen! Why?” He gurgled; red foam leaking from his mouth.

“Eat shit Asshole!” The angel spat before bringing her other sword around. With one clear swipe she sent his head rolling to the ground. His headless body falling to the ground in front of the nephilim and unconscious miko.

Silver flooded irises glinted dangerously in the flickering light of flame that was now receding as the last of forest crackled and burned around them. Lifting her hand she ignited a small fireball of intense heat in her palm.

“I sentence your body to the same despicable punishment you mercilessly bestowed upon my beloved mother. You will be punished by spending eternity consumed by the heat of my fire.” Releasing the bolide she ignited his body ensuring that he would not rise from its ashes.

The fire would burn with much more intensity than any natural fire so Misery dropped to the ground and cradled the unconscious Kagome in her lap. Unfolding her wings she wrapped them both safely behind the silver feathers. The sickening smell of burning flesh assaulted her noise as she held her friend tightly. Tears of regret, longing, suffering, and freedom poured from her. How she had come to be again she didn't fully understand but it felt as if she had been reborn. A voice had called out to her as she had poured her spirit's strength into Kagome. Embracing it she had soon felt the very fabric of her being being resewn. As Kagome fell she had been revived and stepped over the fallen miko to deflect a killing blow only to deliver her own. It was over. By her hands Cernonnus had fallen. Her mother had been revenged and her new family saved.

When the heat of the burning corpse dissipated she let her wings vanish; feathers drifted on the breeze the only indication of what had been before. Opening her tear swollen eyes she saw the destruction that had rained down upon the isolated mountain valley. The fortress' broken walls still stood impressively amidst the blackened earth that stretched out before it. Her thoughts drifted to a time long ago, a time of death and destruction in a mountain glen far from where they stood. A life lost to a maniacal beast and a life altered by that occasion. She could let it go now. Move on. The realization in that moment was empowering. The first drops of a healing rain pattered lightly down on her. A soft smile stretched on her lips as she turned her head up. The clear night sky had been shrouded in soft clouds that banked over the mountain summit settling above them. Rebirth was everywhere. A second chance was always provided by nature. Why not for them as well?

“Kagome?” Inuyasha's concerned voice caught her attention. She smiled at her brother in law as he looked hesitantly at her before gathering his mate in his arms.

Standing she watched as Inuyasha carried Kagome away from the others towards a clearing. She could hear the approach of one of their helicopters and understood that they would soon be taken from this nightmarish place. Safely escorted back to the base.

A gentle touch on her shoulder made her turn. Sesshoumaru's disbelieving face scrutinized her own. Lost in his golden eyes she stood unmoving as a clawed finger carefully traced the same path her tears had taken. Her heart skipped a beat when a single tear fell from his eye. Her reaction was silenced when he pulled her into a hard embrace. Body shaking with pent up emotion, he soundlessly held her. When the helicopter landed he cradled her in his arms and wordlessly brushed passed a confused and overwhelmed kitsune ushering them to the far side of the hold. Locked in his lap she listened to his heart beat and was slowly sent to sleep with his hand methodically sweeping through her loose hair.


X-X-X-X-X

“It's about time you woke up Koishii.”

Her head was so congested. Kagome struggled to sit up only to be forced down by strong, warm hands. Where was she? She thought that she had been skewered on the end of Cernonnus' black blade. She could smell the tantalizing aroma of hot food drifting past her nose. Cracking her eyes open slowly she was greeted by the smiling faces of Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku.

“Inuyasha?” Her voice cracked as she tried to get out his name.

“I thought you were going to sleep forever.” He smiled sitting on the edge of the bed.

“How long have I been out.” She spoke after accepting a cold drink of water from Sango.

“'Bout a week.”

“A week!” She screeched.

“Kagome-sama, you used a great deal of strength in your battle with Cernonnus. Even with your advanced healing your body needed much time to recuperate.” Miroku offered.

“That's right, I was fighting Cernonnus. But how? I mean I remember him attacking after I destroyed the jewel.”

“Apparently you have a guardian angel Kagome.” An emotionless voice sounded from the opposite corner of the room.

Turning her head she was a little surprised to see Sesshoumaru lounging casually at a side table, sipping from a cup of tea. She furrowed her brow, still not understanding how she had survived the attack.

“So the sleepy head finally decided to grace us with her presence.” A softer voice was coming through the doorway.

Kagome was astonished to see a very 'alive' Misery leaning against the door frame. Her red hair pulled half up in her trademark style and her lab coat vibrant against the dark hallway.

“Good evening Kagome.”

“Missy! I thought... you were... but I...?” The young miko stuttered trying to wrap her head around the mystery.

“Another incomprehensible working of Sesshoumaru's sword Kagome. Why it did not work the first attempt we suspect was because Misery had already separated her soul from her body. Tensaiga sought out her spirit. When she connected with you it was able to link her body and soul together again. How it moved her body we do not know.” The monk explained.

Kagome's eyes filled with tears. They had all made it through. The jewel had been at long last vanquished in its entirety from the world. Her friends had survived the battle. Inuyasha was still by her side. Her mother's words rang in her ears as the other's jovially exchanged stories of her courage in the battle.

Your struggles will be great my child, now that you are the keeper of the jewel. Fear not your own weakness. To have weakness is to be human. Life is precious Kagome and you are charged with the honourable task of preserving it. Fear is natural as well sweetheart. Your battles will be monumental and the darkness that threatens us all will seek you out. You must remember though Kagome, darkness fades to dawn. Always a new day is reborn. Life continues on. I believe in you Kagome. I love you.”