InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Entering the Unknown ( Chapter 37 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Entering the Unknown

Darkness. The feeling of suspension. It was terrifying and exhilarating all at once. Her eyes slammed shut when the first hint of light swirled around her. Her heart soared in anticipation. The well was working. They where being transported through time. A few seconds and she would be able to get to the bottom of the mystery. Ground materialized beneath Kagome's feet and she breathed a sigh of relief. Just as she began to see the walls of the well she was slammed against the wall. A blur of silver could be seen through her peripheral vision.

“Umm Kagome?” Misery's voice echoed behind her.

Kagome suddenly comprehended what the silver likely was. She wiggled so that she could see the girl who had jumped beside her. Her eyes widened with what she saw and she fought to keep in her laughter.

“I think we're stuck” Misery looked sheepishly at her.

Kagome shook her head in disbelief and laughed as she blew a feather out of her face. Misery's wings now cramped them together in the narrow well.

“What!” Misery glared at the miko who now laughed outright at her. “We were falling! I can't help it if the damn things appear when I'm suspended in air.”

Tears streamed down the Kagome's face as she gasped for air. Her sides ached with the laughter that refused to stop. The situation was all too ridiculous and the scowl the nephilim was wearing was the icing on the cake. Finally she was able to control her outburst and smiled bravely at the now perturbed girl.

“Will they go away?” She snickered.

“Hopefully.”

“What do you mean hopefully? Just get rid of them.”

“Easier said then done.” Misery quietly growled before blushing in embarrassment.

“You can't...” Kagome questioned and was quickly answered with a shake of her friends head.

“They've only appeared a few times. First when Shippo was injured, a couple other times and then when I was under Cernonnus' control. I don't know much about it. Sometimes I can do as I will with them and other times I'm forced to wait it out. ”

“I see.” Kagome could help but grin again at the red faced nephilim. The action only angered Misery further and she was rewarded with another glare.

They stood silently in the dark waiting for the wings to disappear. Both startled when the distant sounds of gunfire erupted. Both waited expectantly and another blast could be heard.

“Guns?” Kagome whispered to Misery who furrowed her brows and shook her head.

“It's been a long time since I heard that noise.” She looked up towards the light of the world above them. “Canons.”

“Canons?” Kagome wondered.

“I thought you said they fought with swords here.”

“For the most part. The band of seven were the only ones who used gunpowder. Civilians and the emperor's armies had yet to have much exposure to it.”

The two girls were still staring above them when Misery's silver wings burst into a cloud of feathers. Leaning into the wall the nephilim brushed away the many feathers that softly collected on her thick cloak. Kagome was still lost in listening to the distant battle that indisputably involved a few large weapons.

“What in Kami is going on out there?” Kagome breathed quickly grasping at the vines and pulling herself up.

The pair quickly surfaced from the bone eater's well only to stare at the vast expanse of forest lightly speckled with the first signs of the winter to come. On a ridge in the distance, smoke was swirling high into the blue sky, starkly contrasting against the soft white on the higher hillsides. Cautiously they left the meadow to the welcoming concealment of the thick forest. Both were anxious to find out exactly what they had landed themselves into. Kagome paused when they reached the base of the great Goshinboku, her heart swelling with the sight of the familiar marking on the tree. Evidence of her hanyou's entrapment from when she first arrived in ancient Japan.

“He's been freed. That means I was here at one point. I wonder what year we landed in?” She whispered; lovingly brushing the bare spot on the wood.

“I have a bad feeling about this Kagome. When did guns factor into your history?” Misery had only been living off and on in Japan. She was no expert in the trivial history of the humans that inhabited her new home.

“A hundred years or so after I arrived in Sengoku Jidai.” Understanding dawned on her. She may have once been here in the past, but it was very possible that her departure had already been decades ago. What had happened in the century that had lapsed in ancient Japan? Where was Inuyasha and the others right now?

“What are your thoughts then Kagome.”

“I won't know for sure yet,” she signaled to the smoke billowing from the hills, “but I'd take a guess that we're not in Sengoku period. Maybe Edo?” She left the tree and began hiking in the direction of Kaede's village.

“Edo period eh? So, when does that make this Kags?” Misery asked again anxious for a time range.

“Anytime from the sixteen hundreds to middle eighteen hundreds.” Cautiously she picked her way through the thickening forest.

Silently they made their way to a hill high above the village. Kagome gasped at what she saw. The formerly thriving village was decrepit. Houses were no more than run down shacks. The fields behind the buildings lay in ruin. Observing in concealment she could tell that the poverty stricken people were borderline starving. Thin children played in the street and the women's eyes where darkened with despair. It was obvious they had suffered more than one poor crop year. Her attention was again drawn to a muffled explosion in the distance. She quickly took stock of the little evidence laid out before her. Poverty, famine, gun powder, lack of men, and battle. Her mind fled back to history class and her heart sank in fear.

“Misery, I'm afraid we have stumbled on some dangerous times in Edo. This is not good. I hope to Kami that I am wrong about this.”

The young miko shivered in the crisp fall air and quickly pulled the cloak around her. Slipping her arms into the sleeves and buttoned the front of her heavy cloak. She was thankful that their outerwear fell to the ground and included full billowing sleeves that appeared to layer right into folds of the cloak. Soft fur lined the inside; the entire outfit swallowed her small form and offered plenty of protection from the elements.

“I forgot how cold it gets in these times.” Kagome smiled.

“I hadn't.” The nephilim scowled fastening her own cloak.

“I'm going to talk to the villagers and determine if that is where and when we are.” Kagome trotted ahead to speak to a kindly elderly woman.

Missy surveyed the area as she leaned against the wall of one shabby shack. The villagers eyed her with distrust causing her to draw her hood up and look away. She couldn't blame them though. They likely assumed her a Dutch. She could relate to not trusting a foreigner. Scotland had been plundered by imposing forces for centuries. Closing her eyes she was taken back to much of the bloodshed she had witnessed in her homeland.

“Damn my intuition to the seventh hell!”

“What.”

“The woman told me that there is much unrest all over Japan. A group of rebells have been gathering forces through the lands. They are the strongest in the far south. If the old woman was correct than the Shimabara Rebellion is just months away.”

“What the hell is the 'Shimabara Rebellion'?”

“Over taxation and abusive reign of the region's leader caused the rebellion.” Kagome started the trek down the hill towards the village. “It was also a religious uprising.”

“Great!” Misery snarled; graphically recalling the oppression the pagans had endured at the hands of Christian followers.

“Ronin samurai and peasants began gathering in secret and soon plotted an uprising in the late 1630's. Rebellions were also occurring in the Amakusa island's. They crossed the sea and eventually set up a fort at Hara's old castle. The shogunate forces received aid from the Dutch and the battles raged with the rebels inflicting heavy damage until they finally were out of ammunition and food reserves. After the rebellion the shogunate suspected the Western Catholics of being involved and they drove the Portuguese out. Christianity went underground at that point and a religious purge was carried out.”

“Lovely!” Misery cringed thinking about how the story was really hitting home. Sympathetic eyes fell on the husband-less women who cuddled with their sickly looking children. Kagome spotted another kindly looking woman and ran ahead once more to gather more information.

She heard Kagome cursing and turned her eyes to see the miko stomping back to her. “What's the game plan?”

“Looks like we are heading to the Shimabara peninsula in Hizen.” She growled picking up the pace.

“Hizen?”

“Nagasaki.” The miko squared her shoulders and proceeded on.

“What year is it Kagome?” Misery asked catching up to the miko.

“It's late November, 1636. The final battle is in April.”

“Hells bells! This just keeps getting better and better Kags. If we are heading all the way down there you think maybe we should get a couple of horses?” Misery eyed the few animals currently being used in the fields.

“Yeah, but not from these people. They already have so little. One of the towns further down will have more than they have here. We'll purchase a couple there.”

Hours passed as they traveled south towards the southern tip of Japan. They hadn't expected the hostility that would arise with Misery's foreign appearance. Distrust of supernatural creatures had slackened in favor of abhorrent distrust of foreigners. Road travel had soon become unwise as it drew too much unwanted attention. Although speed had been reduced on the back trails both felt measurably safer. As the sun settled they sought refuge in the recesses of a small mountain cave.

With a fire crackling merrily and two rabbits roasting, the pair settled in for a cool night. They had traveled a good distance from the well and had decided to head towards the coast. Another stop at a village had provided them with possible information on the whereabouts of their friends. An old man had told them of a legend of a youkai who traveled with two humans. They had begun near the village close to the bone eaters well and traveled south, purging the area of lesser and troublesome mononoke. The last he had heard was that they had left the western lands and began a purge of the south. His knowledge stemmed from his youth however, so the accuracy of the statements could not be trusted. With the new information they had decided to head towards the coast and catch a boat to the south. It would save them time and energy.

“Do you think we'll find them right away?” Kagome asked hopefully.

“I'm not sure Kagome. The only thing we have going is the fact that everyone will be talking about the strange miko who travels with the foreign youkai. Our clothing isn't completely conspicuous and I've gotten nothing but stares or glares at every village. Word is bound to spread. If they catch wind of it they will come to investigate.”

“Them and who else?” The miko sighed poking at the cooking meat.

“True. We'll have to keep our eyes open and senses on full alert.”

Kagome watch as Missy rubbed absentmindedly at her chest. An action that had been repeated off and on since their arrival here. The further they got from the well the more she seemed to do it.

“Are you feeling alright Miss?”

“What?”
“You keep rubbing your chest.”

Misery gave her a strange look before smiling. “It's nothing. You worry too much you know!”

“Are you sure.”
“Positive. Now stop poking that meat. I'm sure its done.”

Kagome kept suspicious eyes on her friend as the nephilim pulled the skewers off the fire and used one of her small knives to cut strips of meat. They ate in silence and after feeding a few more logs on the fire and drifted into a light sleep.

X-X-X-X-X

“Busy place!” Misery's wide eyes took in the sights and sounds of the seaside village. Fisherman where busy bringing in their morning catches and setting up their small market.

“Stinks!” Kagome held her breath as they passed numerous fish huts.

“This reminds me of home so much Kags! The ocean and the clean air.”A strong sea breeze blew in lifting the bottom of a fisherman's robe revealing his lack of undergarments. Kagome blushed and turned away while Misery broke into hearty laughter. “Not to mention the lack of cloth. Don't blush Kagome. You should have seen the men in kilts. Toned muscles, burly chests and taunt little heinies.”

“Missy! What would Sesshoumaru say about you being exposed to all that? Not to mention daydreaming about them!” Kagome gapped ignoring the wicked grin that flashed on her friends face.

“You haven't lived until you've seen a man in a kilt! Come on Kags. I know you're picturing it.” Misery encouraged.

Kagome broke a faint smile and giggled. “Well I did like the movie 'Braveheart'.”

“That's my girl! You'd make a fine bonny lass!” They laughed together as they made their way down to the dock.

The day before they had arrived in the small village and befriended a young boy and his companions. Kagome's pleading eyes and sob story had secured them safe passage as far down as the southern city of Hirado. Scanning the small fishing port they could see their new friends preparing the large vessel for the trip down the coast. The teenage boy waved welcomely to them as they approached.

“Good morning Kagome-sama. Good morning Misery-sama.” He greeted them and assisted them onto the rocking vessel.

“Good morning Shiro-san.” Kagome smiled.

“We will be ready to sail shortly. The water is rougher this time of year but we will be traveling just off the shore line. We should be arriving in Hirado by the time the moon is full. Make yourselves comfortable in the hold until were are at sea.”

“Thank you Shiro-san . You are most kind.” Kagome's smile widened causing the youth to blush furiously and stumble over the decks away from them.

“Nice kid.” Misery grinned at the boy.

“Something about him strikes me as familiar though I can't quite place it.”

X-X-X-X-X


The third night of their sea voyage Kagome awoke to the shouts of the men above on the deck. Hastily she wiped the sleep from her eyes and grabbed her weapons. Her hand shot out to wake the sleeping nephilim only to find that she was not there. Pulling on her boots she quickly made her way to the deck. Her eyes widened as she saw the men circling the redhead and as she made her way closer she saw that Misery had Shiro's second in command held at sword point; her arm securing the man around the chest and the tip of her blade pressing against his neck. Shiro was rapidly talking to the steely eyed woman, desperately trying to ease the tension that had erupted around him.

“What is going on here?” Kagome demanded as she pushed her way through the crowd of men. They backed off when her aura flared and she was instantly enveloped in swirling burgundy mist.

“They're plotting something Kags. I've had my eye on this one since we first boarded. He's been sneaking around us and planning late night meetings. Seems they want to use us for something. Maybe your sweet and innocent Shiro isn't all he seems to be.” The wild eyed woman growled as she pushed the blade a little more forcibly against the burly man eliciting a plea from him.

“It's not what you think!” The man cried out; pleading eyes searching for the peaceful miko.

“Shut up!” Misery hissed.

“Calm down Missy.” Kagome urged the nephilim. This was not the woman she knew, for her eyes met the blurred vision of a silver flooded orbs. This was the Misery from the past again. The highly guarded and ever suspicious woman who had survived for centuries by trusting no one. The warrior from the misty hills of Scotland. The pagan priestess who had been hunted and tortured.

“Missy, please.” She tried again, carefully reaching to pull the sword away from the man's throat. A breath of relief came when the sword dropped and the man was released. The hard silver glare however remained.

“Now explain what is going on!” The miko's angered voice made the young ship captain step back.

“Honourable miko,” he began. “Kagome-sama. I must agree with some of your companion's words. We are not as we seem. My name is Masuda Shiro Tokisada, the men call me Amakusa Shiro. I have been chosen to lead the great men of Shimabara against the oppression and foolish spending of the Matsukura. We have been traveling up the coast recruiting ordinary men and samurai to aid us in our battle. Tsukune here is my second in command and has been organizing meetings in the night. They do revolve around you Kagome-sama and honourable Misery-sama.” Shiro bowed again to the fiery oni whose stance still revealed she was all too ready for battle.

Shiro waved off the men who cautiously backed away to return to their stations. He sat down on the deck and motioned for Tsukune to do the same. Kagome remained where she was as did her irate friend.

“Tsukune was only thinking of the rebels and our cause Kagome-sama. We know you are a powerful miko and as such you would make a great ally. Misery-sama is also very powerful and we were simply trying to find a way to plead our case to you. We had hope for you to hear our request and give it much consideration. Tonight Tsukune was going to finalize our plans when Misery-sama...umm...found out.”

“Misery, can you confirm.” Kagome eyed the other woman.

“For the past few days I have watched this...Tsukune sneak around us. He is constantly following our every move. I have followed him at night and have heard some details of their attempts to acquisition our aid. I am still unsure if their intentions are pure or not.”

“When the two of you happened upon us at the village we knew that you where fulfilling the prophecy.” Shiro explained.

“What prophecy?” Kagome asked ignoring the grumbling coming from beside her.

“Saint Francis Xavier is the missionary who foretold of the prophecy of the “Fourth son of Heaven”. I have been deemed that fourth son. A little known detail of the prophecy is that I would be aided by two angels to bring Christianity to Japan.”

“Angels?” Misery suddenly perked up again and stepped in front of Kagome to stare menacingly at the youth. “What exactly do you mean?”

“Calm down Missy!” Kagome warned and grabbed the arm of the oni. Her efforts where shrugged off but she paused when clear silver eyes full of sorrow turned to her. Misery began shaking her head before she spoke.

“No Kagome. I've been the thing of prophecies too many times. I can not join with the very people whose beliefs killed so many of my own. I feel for Shiro and his followers, but I cannot condone the European's religious conquest. Don't you understand. This push for Christianity will only bring about the deaths of so many Japanese. It's the same thing. It's happening all over.” Suddenly she clutched at her chest and sank down on one knee.

“Misery!” Kagome immediately reached her friend's side. Misery's hand raised to stop her advance. She watched as the nephilim took a few deep breaths and stood once more.

“I'm fine.”

“Misery-sama, perhaps tonight has been too much for you. You two have traveled a long way to accompany us. All I ask is that you consider our request. I do not to pretend to understand your reluctance towards our faith but I do understand what it means to have lost. Our people have suffered greatly already under the centuries of reign by shogun. If we must lose a few more men to obtain our freedom then we will do that. We are not afraid of death Misery-sama, only living with the regret of doing nothing to save ourselves.” With his final words he rose and bid them good night.

“You sure you're alright?” Kagome questioned once they where alone her eyes casually fixed on the retreating form of Shiro.

“We'll talk down in the hold.” Misery simply stated before sheathing her sword and leading the way.

Once they were behind walls of privacy Misery leaned back on the sleeping mat and stared at the roof. She remained pensive as Kagome locked the door and lit the small lamp beside them.

“You gonna tell me what the hell is going on?” Kagome stared down her reluctant opponent.

“Took me awhile to figure this one out.” Misery sighed and rolled over to face the fuming miko.

“What's with the chest pains Miss?” The miko growled.

“I'm not supposed to be here. Simple as that.”

“What's that mean? I'm from the future too you know. I'm not in any pain!” She crossed her arms and leaned back against the wall.

“You don't exist in this time also, Kagome.”

Kagome's eyes widened. She hadn't even thought of the consequences of that. Misery was alive and well halfway across the world at this very moment.

“I already live in this time period Kags. Somewhere right now I'm either doing chores or helping mother gather her herbs. Who knows, maybe I'm preforming a ancient ritual to honour one of earth's many Gods. Point being, two people cannot survive in the same time simultaneously.”

“I never thought of the consequences Missy. I'm always jumping in head first I guess.”

“It's alright.”

Kagome was startled by the age she suddenly saw in her friend's eyes. Being around youkai all the time she often forgot that they were beings that could defy the aging effects of time. Her youkai companions always seemed so youthful and vibrant but at this moment she saw the truth of their existence.

“What of Shiro and the others? Can we help them?” She asked quietly, unable to look into the ancient eyes that seemed so distant and alone.

A long sigh escaped the oni. “Their battle is one that must be waged the way it was in history Kagome. Do you remember any mention of two women...no 'angels' as he puts it... aiding the young rebel leader?” When the miko shook her head in defeat, Misery continued. “This is a time Kags where the rich use the power of the unknown, of culture and religion to sway the masses. The missionaries may mean well by wanting to spread their faith but in truth they are backed by the kings of Europe. The kings see missionaries as a tool to infiltrate foreign countries. Despite all the good intentions there comes a price with everything. Christianity will spread but the fight for it will cause so much bloodshed. A faith that teaches love and forgiveness in our time was won with sacrifice and rivers of blood. It is not the faith that I abhor Kagome. Simply the corrupt men who hide behind it as a means to obtain their own ends.”

“Why were we sent here then Miss?” Kagome's eyes burned with unshed tears as the the confusion and sense of defeat sunk in.

“I'm not sure Kags. I realize now though that my being here was likely not in the cards. In our old reality Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku had transcended time to aid you. That meant that they never lived in Edo or any period after that. Shippo was raised by Sesshoumaru and at this moment should be traveling the world. Who knows what has happened now that Inuyasha and the others where sent back to their original place in time. Shippo may have never gone to Sesshoumaru. The brothers could still be fighting. At any rate our former reality no longer exists. Shippo may never meet me. I'll have never met Sesshoumaru. Because they never jumped the time barrier they will have no recollection of me in this period. We have altered time Kagome so I cannot guarantee that even your history books remain the same. I will leave the decision up to you as to what we do.”

“Me! You're not even going to suggest something?”

“You Kagome possess something I do not. You have a untainted heart. I believe that if you follow your heart we will do just fine.” A thin smile formed on the tired face of the nephilim.

The lamp burned low and the pair settled back into their sleeping mats. Kagome rolled over one more time to ask a question that had been burning in her mind since the conversation had started.

“Missy? What do you think Inuyasha has been doing in my absence? I mean, he'll remember me right?”

“I'd like to be optimistic Kagome but over a century has passed. I have no doubt that he will remember you but I'm not sure that he'll remember being in modern Japan. Time can change people. We do not know the circumstances under which you left. Perhaps he is angry, maybe he thinks you dead or maybe he has moved on. I hope that he is simply passing time waiting for the day he can be reunited with you.”

“I see.” The tightness in her heart did not dissipate. Kagome knew that those scenarios had all crossed her mind. She had worried that he had forgotten her or was bitter that she had left. Her worse fear was that he had moved on and she was no more than a memory by now.

“Are you alright Kagome?” A concerned voice broke her from her momentary despair.

“Yes. Just worried that's all.”

“I understand.”

“What are you going to do when you see Sesshoumaru?”

“Act as if I never knew him.”

“But Miss,” Kagome began to plead but was cut off.

“It's for the best Kagome. Now go to sleep.”


A/N: Alright!!! Thanks for another great response to the last chapter. My reviewers are excellent! La623, mysteriousmoon30, chanda, kmoaton, Caitriona, angel-up-above-heaven, kryptoinuyasha, catlover260, loretta537, inugoddess715, Ryo5492, unistar, and sistersgrimm... a big round of applause for your comments! I enjoyed them all.

Also, this isn't possible without the talents of my beta, Kokoronagomu.