InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Shiro ( Chapter 38 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Shiro

The light crept over the blue horizon rapidly illuminating the crisp waves that slapped against the sturdy sides of the ship. The air was cold causing Kagome to draw the folds of her cloak tighter around her. Leaning against the rail she watched the distant snow covered shores of Japan pass by her. The night had been long as her dreams had began filled of Inuyasha and had ended in the nightmare of his rejection. Just what did her future hold? Her future in her time and more importantly the future in this past. Where was Inuyasha at this very moment? Did he remember her? If he did, was he thinking about her? So many questions remained unanswered and every moment that past seemed to get them no closer to their destination. She could only hope that the information they had gathered was correct and that this ship was inching closer to her mate with every passing wave.

Where were the others? The old man had only told them a tale he had remembered from his youth. A story told to him by his father. It was quite possible that the by erasing the jewel's effect on modern Japan, Midoriko had removed the gift of immortality granted to Sango and Miroku. If that was the case then her friends had long since passed from this world. A lump formed in her throat thinking about their happy faces. It seemed so cruel that they had finally beat Naraku, been granted eternal life and unknowingly had it taken from them. No. She was jumping to conclusions again. Perhaps they were still alive and even recalled their trip to the future. She could feel the complexity of the situation eating away at her sanity. Exhausted she leaned over the railing and let out a deep breath.

Tired eyes reflected back at her before another slap of water against the ship's side blurred the image once more. This was not what she had expected so long ago when she had first been told of the story of the Shikon no Tama. She had envisioned a different ending, full of the Hollywood romance and 'happily ever after' that seemingly accompanied every fairytale. Not this. When would she get her ending? It was her fault really though. The more and more she mulled over the details of her life the more it came back to one simple fact. She was too damn self sacrificing for her own good. Frankly, she was sick of it all. Sick of throwing herself out there in order to preserve the lives and happiness of others. A bitter bud blossomed in her stomach and a sad smile pressed on her lips. She seemed fated to follow in the woeful footsteps of every other self sacrificing miko. Midoriko. Kikyou. Had they ever reached the point where they came to this very same realization?

She sighed looking across the shimmering water. Of course they had. Midoriko had tired of the misery and sold her life to end it. Another sad smile grew. No, that wasn't it at all. Her damn self sacrificing, ever so honourable self had stepped in to try and save the world, ending horribly in the creation of a ill fated jewel and the death of the miko. Kikyou had followed a similar path, choosing death over a wish that would have saved her life. Were all miko of the light woven from the same fabric? Birthed with the same instinctive need to protect and provide no matter what the cost?

A now familiar ache formed behind her eyes. Her constantly troubled mind always seemed to erupt into a headache with each mental battle she had had with herself over the past few weeks. She was tired of that too. Tired. Sick. Despairing. She circled her fingers around her temples trying to relax the tension that now had a tight hold. The jewel had vanished from her time, seemingly changing the present she had known. Did her mother truly not recall Inuyasha and the others or was it a side effect from being brought back to the land of the living? How long had her mother been there, waiting for her return? If they failed what would await them in Tokyo, that is, if they even made it back to her time.

Squeezing her eyes shut she again massaged the tightness, pressing smartly against her temples trying to dig deep to the source of the pain. Her ears caught the sound of light footfalls on the well scrubbed wooden deck. Turning she saw the ghostly eyes of her companion. Misery only glanced in her direction giving her the same vacant stare that Kagome had now grown accustomed to. The miko glanced away preferring the solitude of the pain in her head to the coldness that surrounded the formerly happy nephilim. Another familiar train of thought broke through her mental barrier to torment her again. She had watched as her companion had withdrawn from everything and everyone. Satisfied to walk in the past as a mere shell of her former self. Kagome wondered if it was a side effect of being caught in the same time period as her younger self or if her friend had truly resigned to the fact that Sesshoumaru was lost to her forever and that she was simply passing time until she was ripped from the past. Her total lack of emotion was unnerving.

“The sun dawns on another glorious day Kagome-sama.”

Turning she saw the approach of the young ship captain. “Good morning Shiro.”

“You do not look well this morning. I fear my request has troubled you.”

“I just have a great deal on my mind Shiro.” She smiled reassuringly to the boy.

“Have you given it thought?” His eyes shined with innocent hope, asking her the same question he had every morning now for the past three weeks.

“Some, though my mind is conflicted still.” She chose her words carefully. Kagome knew her decision already though for once she had taken extra precaution, tediously researching her thoughts and feelings about her choice. The past was tricky. Her aiding Shiro could change everything. She had searched her mind for everything she could recall from history class. She knew Shiro's fate. Knew the way the story was supposed to unfold. But it was a statement of Misery's that she kept coming back to.

History is written by the rich Kagome. They alter the details ensuring that their power over the people is strengthened by the words of their so called 'history'. Much of Europe's 'history' is no more than a revised version of events in order to pull a certain belief or emotion from its readers. Even after battles they would erect false temples or string up false heroes as a message to the people.”

What do you mean?”

You say you fear for Shiro's fate.”

Well yes. The textbook said that he was killed after the final battle and beheaded. His head was put on display for all to see as a deterrent of similar behaviour.”

And how would anyone know who's head it was?”

What do you mean?”

The nephilim sighed looking throughly bored with the conversation, or irked that she was being forced to talk at all. “There was no media in those times Kagome. No pictures sent to the masses to make one man recognizable. Only word of mouth. What does a corpse look like after a few days in the elements? Unrecognizable. If a King or Lord or whatever wanted to make a statement they need not have the real man's head. Any head would do. Then they would post soldiers and peasants at the gates or near the head to tell the pre-written tale to the passersby. To influence opinion and belief was very easily done.”

What are you trying to say?”

Another exasperating sigh from her companion. “Who knows if Shiro is really beheaded. It could be totally false... or completely true.”

Kagome continued to watch the ocean as Shiro settled comfortably beside her. Time travel was so damn difficult. Making the wrong choice could have irreversible consequences, but she had eventually decided that she was fated to be here and the choice she settled on would be the correct one. If she were to change history then it was fated to be that way.

“If I may be so bold Kagome-sama, what are you thinking?” The exuberant youth inquired shyly.

Kagome snickered and shook her head at the question. A sad and angry voice answered the boy and she inwardly cringed at her cynicism.

“Life is a terrible gift of the kami meant as a simple form of entertainment.”

“Kagome-sama?”

“N othing Shiro. When do we arrive in Hirado?” She quickly asked hoping to divert his attention from her uncharacteristic words. He eyed her speculatively before pointing to the shoreline.

“Just past that curve in the shore right there. We should arrive in a few hours.”

“Excellent.”

He left her alone, staring solemnly at the shore, lost in the rhythmic sound of the waves and the sails. He had invested his hopes in these two women. Completely believing in his own destiny and that when the time came his angels would descend from the sky to aid him in his battle. They would see the brightness of his dreams for the broken people of his faith . Once the women witnessed the despair in his homeland they would understand and they will stand with him. He had to believe in the prophecy. His glut clenched with momentary uncertainty. He was born for this right?

X-X-X-X-X

They looked so forlorn when they first arrived. The blushing face of young Shiro had snapped the crowds out of despair and they had cheered with more vibrancy and life than Kagome thought they could possess. The large settlement of Hirado was definitively suffering though. The people were thin, their clothes worn and ragged, and the scent of death clung slightly in the air. Times were not prosperous for the southern outpost. Shiro made his way through the crowd smiling brightly and talking enthusiastically to the townsmen. The faint sparkle that came to their eyes when they conversed with the young man made Kagome's heart swell. This was why she sacrificed. What made every terrible event that happened in her life worthwhile. Hope. Humanity always held some form of hope. She could not abandon these people now. Leave them to wither and rot in their darkened holes of despair. Shiro shone as brightly as the midday sun and to them he was their hope.

She followed the procession almost blindly, too caught up in the thin faces and broken eyes. As a miko she could not ignore suffering. Her heart bled for these people. Ached to make everything right. She knew once more that she would sacrifice herself gladly to save these people from their destined ill fate. She sighed and pulled a hand through her hair. One hundred plus years from when she first jumped back in time she was once more going to endure a quest to save the lives of people she didn't know and never would. Damn her sense of duty. Damn her obligations as a miko. Damn Shiro and damn the poor people of this town. Not thinking she slammed her fist into a nearby wall as she passed. The momentary release had been welcoming but as she held her throbbing fist her eyes met the silver void of Misery's.

“Was that necessary?” The monotone voice chilled her bones.

Turning angry eyes at her friend she blurted out another very uncharacteristic statement. “Oh go to hell!” Stomping away she was both mortified with herself and pleased.

Misery's eyes widened only a notch at the outburst from the miko before she shrugged and followed silently behind her. Her mind faded once more into welcoming blankness as she trailed Kagome. Distancing herself and locking everything deep within seemed to be the only way to pass the time. It hurt less when she didn't have to think about what was going to happen. Hurt less not worrying about Kagome's fate. Hurt less not thinking about him.

The minutes passed until she found herself drawing up behind the crew and her friend. They were entering a dark tavern and once moving through the narrow doors found they were quietly ushered to the back and then down into a dark underground hideout. Her senses snapped, fully alert. The sensations seemed foreign after so many weeks of blissful darkness and uncaring. Kagome could be in danger though and Misery felt obligated to protect the younger girl. Her eyes darted expertly around the room searching for any signs of trickery or evil. Her hands came to rest at her sides, fingers flexing in preparation for grabbing her blades. Something dark loomed over this town though at the moment she did not know what or where. Her heart began to beat harder in anticipation.

Kagome did not fail to notice the sudden clarity in the nephilim's eyes or the way she now carried herself. The warrior was once again back and itching to unsheathe her blades. This instantly made Kagome uneasy. She searched the room for the presence of youkai but found only the familiar press of Misery's ki on her senses. Her eyes had more trouble searching out foe in the dim light of the underground.

The men had only just begun their meeting when a gangly boy raced down the steps.

“The army approaches. They know you are here Shiro-sama. They are entering the city as we speak.”

The rebels quickly shot into action uncovering weapons that lay hidden in the numerous crates that littered the dark room. Shiro was ushered out a back door while the main forces gathered and began pushing their way up the stairs and then poured out the front doors of the seedy tavern. Kagome and Misery quickly followed after them. Smoke billowed from some distant houses and the screams of the innocent already thundered in the air. Not to be left behind they raced after the distant rebels.

What greeted them when they rounded the corner was almost more than Kagome could bear. Rebels fought valiantly against the well armed soldiers. Blood darkening the pristine white snow that speckled the streets. Movement out of the corner of her eye made Kagome turn. She could hear the screams of a women in the house near her and saw the slight movement beyond the mat that covered the door. Instinctively she understood what was happening. A single shout was released to her companion as she barreled into the house.

Gasping Kagome stood as if in shock as the maniacal looking soldier forced himself upon the young woman. The girl's wide tear filled eyes sought out Kagome's as the dirty man entered her again and again. A single footstep behind her was all she heard before the distinctive sound of a blade leaving a sheath. Moments later the limp body of the soldier was being unceremoniously pulled off the sobbing girl. Misery's eyes flashed with purest rage as she wiped her blade on the soldier's clothes relieving it of the filth of his blood.

“Disgusting pig!” She announced and without even glancing at the victimized girl strode out of the house and into the streets.

Kagome quickly helped the girl right her clothes and shooed her safely out the door and away from the aggression down the street. It only took her moments to spot the nephilim slashing down the brutalizing soldiers. Misery's cloak was now soaked in blood and her hood had fallen down uncovering the glossy red hair now flicked with snow flakes and blood. Her uncertainty in herself mounted and she considered that her powers could be useless here. Kagome was not certain if her Reiki would work against humans. Any barrier she could erect might be easily pushed through by the soldiers. She decided that rather than waste her energy on the unknown she would use her developed fighting skills to assist now. Pulling her staff out she expanded it and began aiding the local people in their attempts to fend off their attackers.

Facing unbelievable numbers Kagome soon heard Tsukune's cries for retreat. The were losing a battle and she could tell that the rebels were not anxious to endanger any more of the civilian's lives. She was soon following the men as they frantically made their way back to the ship. The soldiers were not willing to let them escape though. Kagome was quickly being pushed back by a few extremely large and powerful men. She squealed as one snarled at her and caught her by the waist. Another quickly disarmed her and punched her hard across the face. Her mind spun as the blackness threatened to overwhelm her. She came back to her senses only to realize her person was being roughly manhandled by her assailants. She tried to scream but found no sound would come; a thick arm was wrapped around her throat squeezing the air from her lungs. One of the men smiled evilly at her, showing off his blackened teeth. Her mind was on fire as he licked the side of her face and tightened his bruising hold on her breast. He leaned in again and she cringed awaiting the disgusting kiss that was sure to come. Nothing happened until she felt a sticky, hot splattering on her face. Cracking one eye open his glassy eyes stared back. The hold on her throat relaxed and she felt the heavy weight of his body slip down her back.

“Inuyasha?” She whispered softly, hope swelling within her chest.

“Sorry babe, just me.” The soft feminine voice reached her and soon she was being dragged by her wrist by an overly excited nephilim. Her eyes fixed on the blood stained back of her companion. How had Misery managed to get so dirty in such a short period of time. Her head cranked around to stare at the spot they were retreating from. Her answers laid in multiple pools of red. Steam rolling of their now delicately white sprinkled corpses. Snow was already cleansing the area as they moved away from the battle.

They reached the dock area to find the bustling ship alive and ready to launch. A ship minus one very important captain.

X-X-X-X-X

Predatory eyes watched carefully as the bloodshed unfolded. The human army decended less than satisfactorily upon the city. Distastefully he witnessed their underhanded tactics as they tried with little success to flush their prey.

“Hn” He grunted to the breeze and prepared to turn. That is until an interesting person entered his view. A woman he had not laid eyes on for a very long time. He returned to his high perch to study the girl once more, just to ensure his first impression was true. Long black hair framed her delicate face. Gone was the revealing green skirt and white shirt. In fact her form was completely devoured by the over sized and foreign clothing she was wearing, but there was no doubt in his mind who it was. Blue eyes glanced momentarily in his direction but he was sure that his youki had gone unnoticed to the powerful miko. A thin smile flashed momentarily before he disappeared from his secluded spot.

Silently he traveled to the small camp upon the hill overlooking the town of Hirado. Amber eyes so much like his own flashed back at him from the trees. He had finally admitted that his brother made a better ally than enemy. Casually he strode into their camp and cast an annoyed look at the other.

“Your bitch returns.” He said coldly, throughly enjoying the sudden play of emotions that greeted his words.

“Feh. You lie.” The hanyou finally spat out once his emotions were again in check.

“Do I?” The taiyoukai arched and eyebrow. He smiled to himself as the hanyou scowled back and launched towards the town.

Things were finally going to be interesting. Sesshoumaru had been bored far too long now and the thought of the miko slamming his brother into the ground once more brought a rare smile to his usually harsh features. Yes. Things were finally going to be interesting.


X-X-X-X-X

“Idiot!” Misery spat as she shrugged her now drenched and overly heavy cloak off her shoulders. She found it very easy to despise the young captain at this very moment. Tsukune had spotted the rebel leader valiantly fending off a small pack of soldiers high on a cliff to the south of them. Apparently his back door escape from the tavern had failed to land him safely on the deck of his ship.

Handing her cloak to Kagome, she ignored the men's wandering eyes as her bare legs and tightly clinging garment were exposed to the frigid air of winter. “Tell Tsukune to set sail immediately.”

“What! Shiro's not on board.” Kagome shouted back, reluctantly accepting the gory garment.

Misery responded by rolling her eyes and moving towards the ships edge. “I know that. Get the ship moving and I'll get the brat.”

“Missy...” Her friend's name falling emotionally from her lips. Kagome's eyes shone with liquid admiration only causing the nephilim to roll her eyes again.

Kagome heard Misery's words as she jumped from the ship and smiled brightly.

“Yeah well don't read too much into this Kags. This is a 'one time only' rescue mission!”

Heart swelling with hope and happiness at the return of her friend, Kagome turned to issue the orders to Tsukune. The second in command needed a little more convincing but after a few strings of colourful words from Kagome the ship was soon pulling away from the port in Hirado and making its way safely out to sea.

Once they were moving south towards the cliffs that Shiro was struggling upon, she sought out her friend. A blur of black, red and skin tones could be seen behind a wall of soldiers. A spray of red flashed as Misery cut them down without hesitation and pushed on towards her destination.

X-X-X-X-X

His mind tried desperately to wrap around the words of his brother but Inuyasha was still having a hard time believing the elder youkai. Could she really have returned after all these years? This was the last place he ever expected her to pop up. His wandering had led him far from his forest and the well. Far as well from the painful memories of the past. Why had she returned? Was it for him? The other's perhaps.

A tightness formed in his chest. Another male? That at least would explain her current location.
Bounding over the last hill he entered Hirado breathing in deeply the smells of the city. He was well aware of the approach of his brother but gave the other youkai no indication. Sesshoumaru was likely following for his own amusement. Hell, he had arrived not long ago saying he was tired of sitting around in the western lands and was staying to add a little excitement in his life.

Inuyasha scowled as the pungent scents of the human settlement assaulted his sensitive nose. Blood, smoke, and tears. Smells that he did not like. Still he breathed in deeply trying to catch wind of her. Nothing yet. He fled deeper into the town, carefully avoiding the small pockets of fighting that continued despite the fleeing rebels. Pausing on another rooftop he breathed in heavily again. It was there. Intertwined with the saltiness of the sea; vivid and clean just like he remembered. Apprehension began to set in as he started in her direction.

Just what did one say to a woman who had vanished out of their lives so long ago? How's it been going? Where have you been? Nice weather we have been having? He shook his head to clear the ridiculous conversation starters. So many nights he had laid awake thinking about her return. So many questions needed answers. He had worried that the worst had happened for years after she had vanished into thin air. Had she lived? Their battle with Naraku had not been easy and Kagome had been wounded. Not severely but enough to make his own blood boil. Then she had disappeared and the well sealed to him. Had she purposely severed her link to the past or was it something more? He had been burned once by a woman and his brain had repeatedly warned him that she was no different. His heart had pleaded otherwise.

Screeching to a halt on the dock he spotted the leaving vessel and his heart sank once more. She had slipped past his reach. Momentarily passing through his life for but the most fleeting of moments. The ship sailed south and his attention was drawn away to another form racing toward the top of the jagged cliffs. A warrior tearing apart her prey with ease. Her scent floated on the breeze and he was momentarily stunned. The flare of a strong youki surged beside him where Sesshoumaru had come to stand.

“Not telling me something Sesshoumaru?” He grinned at his brother who currently wore a scowl like no other. Her scent hadn't failed to meet the sensitive nose of the taiyoukai. It was Inuyasha's turn to grin as Sesshoumaru cursed a clearly undignified word and headed in the direction of the other woman.

“I thought you said you were bored in the West!” He hollered after Sesshoumaru as the bounded effortlessly behind him. His eyes quickly returned to the vessel as he desperately tried to catch sight of the miko who rode aboard.

X-X-X-X-X

“Out of my way!” She spat as she twisted the sword burying it in the chest of the defensive soldier. Shiro was only feet from her, remarkably holding his own against the grown men he battled against. When the sword hit bone she dropped down and turned, twisting the blade through her opponent and ducking just in time to avoid the oncoming blade of another soldier. Her other arm came up out of reflex slicing the last soldier cleanly across the stomach. She ignored his screams of pain as she hurdled over his fallen body to take out the final man assaulting the rebel leader.

“Shiro!” She called out as she pulled the blade from the last man's body.

“Misery-sama?” The stunned youth panted; his eyes focusing on the destruction left in her wake.

“Get a move on it. I left a whole pack of grumpy men on my heels.” Her warning barely left her mouth when a small contingency of men broke over the hill.

“Move! Move where?” He cried out searching for an escape.

“Just run.” She urged pushing him into action.

“But Misery,” He wheezed out barely understandable through his laboured breathing. “We're heading towards a cliff!”

“I know!” She screamed back. Silently praying that her plan worked. When they neared the edge Shiro hesitated only to be pushed with Misery's full body weight. Both tumbled over the edge.

Misery felt a familiar pull of youki in the area before the salty air brushed past her face and signaled her descent.

Unknown to her, on the cliffs higher above the one they launched off a very perturbed inuyoukai watched her plummet towards the sea. His nose twitched with her scent and the scowl on his face would not be lifted.

“You have some explaining to do.” Inuyasha ribbed.

“Indeed.” That woman should not have such a smell. Delicious and intoxicating yet mysteriously laced with his own. He searched the inner most reaches of his mind trying to find any familiarity in the woman and disturbingly recalled nothing. He did not like the way his heart paused when she jumped over the cliff. Did not appreciate the small twitch in his fingers as he watched her fall. He ignored the beast that rose up inside calling for him to aid her. Why would he aid such a simple creature. A hanyou at that. He may have warmed up to Inuyasha, but at least the boy was blood. He knew nothing of her and resigned to watch her fate.

His eyes widened a notch when the unthinkable happened.

Misery was still falling and reached out to grab the frantic boy who was screaming and flailing in the air beside her.

“Shut up!” She screeched back when she grabbed him by the arm and pulled him close. Why were all men such babies? She muffled his childish babbling and she crushed him to her slightly larger frame.

“Hang on!”

Shiro's voice was lost as the wind was knocked out of him at the sudden stop in their fall. One minute he was rushing to his death and the next he was being crushed against the breasts of a beautiful woman. Then he realized the cause of their change in motion. Glistening white wings lifted them away from the cliffs and out towards the sea. Soon he could hear the gleeful shouts of his men and could only assume that the ship was already out to sea.

His feet touched the solid deck yet he could not seem to let go of the angel who had saved him. In fact he held on tighter afraid that she would disappear into thin air. A rough poke to his side caused him to raise his head. His eyes met the most illuminous silver orbs he had ever seen. Her hair fanned out like a halo and the mid day sun caused her to glow as if a divine entity. He was surely smitten with this formerly terrifying creature.

“Let go!” His tenshi of mercy screwed up her face ending his moment of awe.

“My apologies Misery-sama.” He bowed after releasing her and tentatively trying the stability of his own legs.

“Whatever.” She replied flippantly and brushed past the admiring glances of his crew before her wings burst in the wind and she retreated to the confines of the lower deck.

“Amazing!” Shiro grinned at Kagome who cast a worried look at her friend before beaming back at the youth.

“I guess.” She giggled nervously.

“You should have seen her Kagome-sama. She was amazing in battle. Then she pushes me from the cliff and sprouts wings. You are the tenshi from the prophecy. I knew that you would aid me.” He grinned wildly before turning his attention to Tsukune.

“Yeah...” She laughed nervously again and made a hasty retreat to her quarters.

Just peachy. Everything was just peachy. Now they were definitely entangled in this mess and she hadn't even had a chance to inquire about Inuyasha. Damn it all to hell. Today sucked and she just could seem to care anymore. Grinding her teeth in frustration she burst through the door and into the seclusion of her sleeping space.


A/N: Something a little different this time. Thanks to all my readers and reviews... you know who you are! ;p. So many questions have been coming in regarding the fate of our characters. All I can say is you will just have to wait. * smirks evilly*

Thanks again to Kokoronagomu for her excellent skills as a beta.