InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Altering Fate ( Chapter 39 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Altering Fate

“Damn it's cold.” The shivering redhead spat. Another poke at her very wet but sparkling clean cloak revealed that it had not miraculously dried since she washed the blood from its thick folds. Leaning back against the wall she made a mental note to slap the young captain around the next time she had a chance to. After all, it was his fault that she had to fight in Hirado. His fault that her cloak had become soaked in his enemies' blood. His fault that she had to clean it and therefore his fault she was now so cold!

“Here, wear mine until yours dries.” The soft voice of her companion brought her away from the evil thoughts she was entertaining regarding the punishment for Shiro.

“But Kagome, won't you get cold?” Misery asked. Moments later she rolled her eyes as the young miko shook herself out of the cloak she was wearing. Kagome now stood before her in thick traditional white and red hakui and hakama befitting her status as a Shinto miko.

“Shiro and Tsukune purchased these two ports back. They thought I would be more comfortable in the 'normal' attire of a miko. I'm wearing them over top of your mother's clothing. Between the two I am perfectly warm. Here, put this on before you freeze to death.” Kagome smiled passing her outerwear to her friend.

“You look ridiculous.”

“You're turning blue.”

Misery finally obliged and wrapped the heavy fabric around her shoulders and shrugged her arms into the voluminous sleeves. Feeling began returning to her limbs as the heat from Kagome's body, transferred from the cloak, and began seeping through her skin. Fastening the closures on the front she moved to beginning wiping down her boots and blades.

“That was quite a display you put on Miss. One would think you've developed a liking for our little rebel leader.” Kagome smirked at the sudden look of annoyance that washed over the nephilim's face.

“That little brat! Just keeping him alive so that you don't get all upset. Nothing more than that.” She growled.

“Oh give it up already Miss. You've got a soft spot for the kid. He's definitively taken a liking to you.” Kagome pushed on.

Misery responded by rolling her eyes and turning her attention back to the blades. The light from outside was fading as the vessel pushed on across the sea. She tried to ignore the grinning girl who had set to work lighting the small lanterns in their cabin. Blades sparkling, she laced her books back up and tucked the swords securely into their sheaths. Adrenaline was still in her veins and she preferred to remain armed until she was certain that they were all out of danger.

“I felt something back there. Just briefly. Something powerful and familiar.”

Misery's breath hitched as she waited. She knew that this confrontation would come. She had felt the presence when Shiro and she had plummeted off the cliff. Ignorance would not help for she was certain that Kagome would be able to determine just whom the youki belonged to.

“When?” She inquired carefully, face displaying no emotion.

“In the village, just before we reached the fighting. He was there for the tiniest of moments watching us. Sesshoumaru knows that I'm back.” Kagome's cheerful smile had vanished and she wore a look of contemplation.

“I see.”

“I wonder where Inuyasha is at? Do you think that Sesshoumaru will tell him I have returned?”

“Perhaps.”

Kagome just offered her friend a weak smile in response. She knew that she had felt the Lord's presence. It was so familiar and powerful that it could belong to no other. Her curiosity had been sparked for Sesshoumaru was not in his normal domain. Blue eyes fell on the now cold and distant face of Misery. The information had not seemed to affect her the way she had thought it would. Pondering the reaction she began to wonder if the girl had noticed the presence at some point as well. Kagome's heart broke for the girl across from her. It must be so difficult knowing that the one you loved had no idea who you were, would never remember the times they had shared and might never have the chance to fall in love again. At least with Inuyasha she was certain he would remember her.

“I'm going to go check on that annoying brat.” Misery suddenly stood and excited the room before Kagome could stop her.

Her eyes furrowed in deep concern as she watched the door shut behind Misery. The nephilim was certainly under enough pressure as it was and Kagome was worried that Sesshoumaru's presence could make the situation more difficult for her friend. She prayed for Misery that her future would be as happy as it had been before the day everything good had vanished from their lives.

Misery burst onto the deck holding her chest as the now familiar pain tightened in her chest. Each day was more trying than the last. Harder to ignore the desire to return to the well and travel safely back to where she belonged. Taking a deep breath she righted her bowed form desperate to appear with some level of strength and dignity.

“Misery-sama! Are you alright?” Her eyes met the concerned brown eyes of their fearless captain. The boy looked so young and fragile that she had to turn her eyes away. Kagome had told her of the fate of Shiro and she had to reluctantly accept it. Each day that passed she had rested her eyes on his jovial form and each day she found it harder and harder to look away and pretend that she didn't care what happened to him. He was shy and nervous but so passionate and willing to defend his followers. So brave when he had to be and so caring. In another time and under any other circumstance she could have taken him under her wing like a little brother. Her heart ached when he reached out and touched her arm to draw her attention back to him.

“Misery-sama?”

“Aren't you suppose to be in bed you little brat?” She snarled back at him, using her anger at the situation in a futile attempt to limit the amount she felt for him. She watched as he took a step back and then a deep blush settled on his cheeks.

“I wanted to make sure you were feeling alright. You ran off after the... umm... after you ... I mean.” He stuttered trying to find the right words to explain her dramatic entrance high on the cliff and their other worldly return to the ship.

“Spit it out brat. I don't have all day you know.” She growled back as she walked over to the railing.

“Right Misery-sama. I did not intend to waste your time. I was concerned that you had sustained injury in the fighting. I also wished to extend the gratitude of the crew and myself as well as our followers for your assistance in our fight.” He bowed before joining her at the railing. The blush never leaving his cheeks.

Misery glanced over sending him an annoyed glare. She did not miss the nervous movement of his fingers on the rail and the way he stood. He was afraid of her but admired her none-the-less, and was always the strong leader that his people expected him to be.

“I was merely protecting Kagome.”

“Oh.” The nervousness was back and Misery swore she saw disappoint play quickly across his face. He reminded her of a young Shippo so much that her hand reached out and ruffled his hair before she knew what she was doing. The sudden display of affection shocked the both of them causing Misery to snatch her hand away, completely embarrassed by her lack of control.

“Get some sleep kid.” Recovering she offered him a shy smile before punching him playfully in the shoulder.

She turned away from him to watch the moonlight reflecting off the dark water. The sea was calm and the almost noiseless as they drifted further south.

“Thank you.” The sudden hushed voice caused her to turn back to the boy. He had knelt down to bow once more. A show of appreciation that made her very uncomfortable.

“Get up already.” She scowled and waited patiently for him to scramble to his feet in shock. “Never bow to me boy.”

“My apologies Misery-sama.” Shiro appeared to be confused and distraught that he had once again angered his angel.

“It's just weird. My country does not use such displays. I'm more comfortable with just words.” She explained suddenly feeling guilty for causing his distress and her obvious disregard for his customs. Shiro nodded gratefully at her reasoning and smiled once more.

“Point taken Misery-sama. Perhaps one day I will be able to visit this far away land that you come from.”

Misery turned away before he could see the sadness that filled her eyes. Never would this enthusiastic youth set foot in Scotland. But his destiny was not something she could tell him.

“Perhaps kid.”

X-X-X-X-X

“What do you mean you have no idea? She sure smelt like you!” Inuyasha growled obviously irate at the continual vague answers Sesshoumaru was offering. Was it possible for his ever so honourable brother to be lying about this? He found that harder to believe than a mysterious female carrying his brother's scent.

“I will not answer you again. Besides, your scent lingered on the miko as well. I'm not sure why I am the one being interrogated so. Tell me brother, if she has been gone for over a century, how can your combined scent be on her?” Sesshoumaru's nonchalant facade betrayed the inner turmoil he was fighting. The scent of the unknown female unsettled him greatly.

“What did you say?”
“You mated the miko and you withheld information from your family. You should have consulted me before taking a mate.” He pretended to be bored with the conversation but was hoping that it would soon lead to helpful information of his own dilemma.

“I didn't mate Kagome.” Inuyasha was stunned by the words of his brother. He desperately tried to recall Kagome's scent from earlier in the day. He had just barely caught it as there was so many other scents lingering in the air. The blood and smoke from the battle had permeated his sensitive noise making it difficult to catch wind of her at all. By the time he had she was far off shore on the ship and the salty sea air had again rubbed at her scent. Sesshoumaru had tracked her before the battle and would have gotten a clearer scent from her. The knowledge was unsettling. Why was she suddenly back with an unknown female and both carried trace scents of himself and his brother?

“Tell me Inuyasha, just what exactly is this miko of yours?”

“What do you mean?”

“She was the most unusual creature before. The well in your forest, I sensed something... unique about it when Naraku still lived.” Sesshoumaru stared vacantly into the fire awaiting the explanation from his brother.

Inuyasha took a moment to gather his thoughts. Sesshoumaru had always been skeptical of Kagome and he wondered if the time traveling miko would be too fantastical for the taiyoukai to take seriously. A few more minutes of carefully chosen words and he retold the story of how the reincarnation of the former priestess protecting the Shikon no tama, transcended time to free him from Goshinboku only to shatter the jewel. He carefully reconstructed the tales of their travels and his trips to her world. Finally ending with the battle of Naraku and the vanishing of Kagome.

Sesshoumaru carefully listened to the hanyou and found many consistencies with his own experiences of the miko and the battle with Naraku. He remembered her strange clothing and the yellow pack full of fantastical devices, the scent of his brother and her deep within the well and he did witness her vanishing into thin air after Naraku fell. At the time he thought that the jewel had claimed another miko, now he reluctantly accepted the strange tale of his brother's. He had always wondered about her origins and now he had an answer. Was the other female connected to the future as well? His interest pricked, he had allowed Inuyasha to drag him farther south in search of the two girls. They were traveling with the human rebels. Not that he cared about human politics or the trivial wars of the mortals, but it seemed odd that the miko and her companion would willingly put themselves in danger over something so ridiculous. He remembered the young miko and her protective streak regarding the weak and suddenly the pieces began to fall into place.

Inuyasha eyed his brother with caution; the taiyoukai seemed deep in thought. He had expected ridicule over the tale yet nothing came. Eerie calm settled over the pair, so much that Inuyasha had to leave the small clearing they had stopped, in an attempt to shake the crushing silence that threatened to overwhelm him. Sesshoumaru remained unmoving before the flickering flames of their small fire. His brother did not even blink when he stood and walked away.

Standing high on the cliffs overlooking the sea, he watched the moonlight reflecting on the calm water below. The people of Hirado had spoken highly of the fearless young leader that Kagome was now with. Words had flown carelessly through the air after the battle, relaying the direction that the group was heading. Now he found himself overlooking the Ariake Sea, searching for the girl who had evaporated into thin air over a century before. He had searched for her often in the past but this time he finally had her scent.

His brows furrowed in annoyance and a scowl soon settled on his face. This time he also had a royal pain in the ass following him. He may never know what possessed his stoic brother to track him down and accompany him but at least he had the consoling thought that he sure didn't have to like it. Amazingly Sesshoumaru hadn't been too difficult so far though things always changed.

And so he expected change very shortly.


X-X-X-X-X

“Happy New Year Missy!” Kagome grinned as she packed another snowball tight in her two gloved hands.

“What the hell kind of way is that to celebrate?” The red head scowled as she brushed the remnants of the last snowball off her cloak. Her instincts told her to duck and she narrowly avoided another cold missile.

“Don't be such a fun sucker!” Kagome winked before picking up another snowball.

“I don't see how this is fun.” Her friend scowled.

Kagome launched another snowball only to find her aim slightly off. The icy projectile flew over Misery's head and slammed into the face of their rebel leader.

“Oh! Sorry Shiro-kun!” Kagome apologized as she ran to wipe the snow off of the youth's face.

“HA. Now I see the fun in it!” Missy smirked.

“Kagome-sama, Misery-sama. I see you are enjoying the new snowfall.” The normally exuberant youth slowly dusted the snow from his clothing.

“Just easing a little stress!” Kagome laughed nervously. “Is something the matter Shiro-kun?” The miko did not fail to notice the somber nature of the boy and intuition told her all was not well.

“We begin preparations to again cross the Ariake Sea. The past few weeks rebels have been gathering at this location. A few days ago one large contingent fought against Hirotaka's samurai. We defeated them but lost almost three thousand. In two days we will launch our attack on the Shimabara Castle.” Shiro explained.

“You sound pretty sure of yourself kid.” Misery's eyes hardened to reflect the battle hardened warrior within.

“I have done my research.” He tilted his chin proudly.

“Have you now. What are you going to do if you fail?” She asked carefully watching his body language as she waited for a reply. Immediately she determined that the leadership had gone to his head for he held himself far too cocky for a boy who had seen so little battle.

“We will not fail.” His eyes sparkled as if foreseeing the victory.

“Wrong!” Misery spat as she slowly circled the now slightly nervous youth. She held a hand up to silence Kagome before the miko stepped in to save the boy. “Never underestimate your opponent. Never overestimate yourself. Do that and you will die for sure!”

“But Misery-sama,” Shiro began in an effort to defend himself.

“Silence!” She yelled back instantly receiving the compliance she had asked for. Her eyes narrowed as she shortened the distance between them. Locking her steely eyes with him, she dropped her tone menacingly. “Do you think yourself a god, boy?”

“Not a god,” Shiro stuttered under the intense scrutiny of the nephilim, “merely a servant of God. The prophecy foretells of our victory. I will win.”

“You will die.” Her harsh words brought the young leader up short. The colour drained from his face and he trembled under her prediction.

“Misery that's enough.” Kagome's soft voice pleaded with her. The miko had moved to grasp Shiro's shoulders trying to shield him from her companion.

“No. Prophecies are for the weak. Created by people not strong enough to bring on their desired change themselves. If he goes around thinking that everything will fall into place because some silly priest told him so, he won't live past next month.” Missy growled back and quickly ripped the boy from the comforting grasp of Kagome.

“But Miss?” Kagome did not know what her friend was thinking. Misery had actually told the boy his fate, something she thought went against time traveling rule number one. She was going to put herself between her friend and Shiro once more when she noticed something deeper shining in Misery's eyes. Compassion. She wasn't being cruel after all. She was trying to teach the youth something. A hard lesson in life and the politics of the world. Stepping back Kagome decide to quietly watch as the lesson continued.

“Shiro, do you honestly expect to go into battle with nothing more than a prophecy to guide you?”

“Misery-sama, the priest assured me that I would win.” The boy look confused.

“If I told you to stand still while I prepared to cut off your head, would you?” She demanded.

“Misery-sama?”

“Would you!”

“No.” The quiet answer seemed to deflate the boy. He stood ashen faced, eyes downcast as he realized his almost fatal error.

“I didn't think so.” Her own soft answer made him drop his head even more.

Kagome smiled as she watched Misery pull the boy into a sisterly embrace. Perhaps Misery's mission was not simply to find Sesshoumaru. It seemed that she possessed a greater role to fulfill and Kagome was certain it was not just to aid the rebel leader. Misery had lived for so long trusting so very few. That is if she ever truly trusted them at all. She was being forced to take on a role so foreign to her. Mentor, leader, ally and above all friend. Misery was getting a second chance at changing her own life.

It was in that moment, observing the sisterly affection of Misery, that a completely different notion of Midoriko's plan became clear. The elder miko had not merely meant to remove the jewel from modern Japan, she was striving to remove the scars in all of them. The jewel vanishing had been painful at first as the two men that they loved so dearly vanished with it. But in return her own mother and brother had been granted life. Perhaps there was a reason that no trace of their friends could be found when they had first vanished. There could be no evidence of them if their fates had not been written yet. The future had been changed, altered by Midoriko's tampering and now it was all becoming clear as to her intentions. They had been sent back in time to alter the future ever so slightly and in return were having the chance to heal from the terrible experiences they had endured. Kagome found that the past had a funny way of healing her soul and apparently it was working its magic on her friend as well. She was certain that they would still experience hardship but she prayed that Misery's time here with Shiro would heal the tattered and broken mind the girl possessed. Now she was certain that not only had modern Japan been granted a second chance, but that through Midoriko's kind heart that they too would experience their second chance.

“Kagome? Are you coming?” Misery gave her an annoyed look and Kagome wondered how long they had been calling her name.

“Uh, yeah. Coming!” She smiled joyfully.

X-X-X-X-X

“This plan was stupid to begin with! We could have found them already if you would have just sent for that stupid dragon. I'm sure he could have flown us both over that damn sea.” Inuyasha's hands still itched even after sharpening his claws on the defenseless trees in the woods.

His unemotional brother merely cocked an eyebrow at him and sent him a withering look of disgust.

“They will return shortly.”

“Feh! You said that two weeks ago. We haven't caught their scent in over a month! The bloody trees will be blossoming before we see them again.” He grumpily slumped to the ground and crossed his arms. His brother had failed to even stir so he was certain they would once again be spending a night near Shimabara.

“Not if you continue to cut them down.” He let out an exasperated sigh. “Patience brother. I will not waste my resources on a wild goose chase.” Sesshoumaru would not reveal that even he was becoming increasingly anxious. The ship had fled from Hirado weeks ago, sailing across the Ariake Sea. Over the weeks they had watched other small vessels cross the channel, no doubt carrying more rebel soldiers. A few days prior he had learned of a battle between the Shogun soldiers and the rebels, resulting in mass casualties on both sides. Whispers in the night suggested that the Catholic men and women under a young leader would soon be crossing the sea in an attempt to lay seige to the Shimabara Castle. This is where they were now. Not far from the castle whose own construction had caused most of the unrest in the people of this land. Kagome and the mysterious female warrior would soon be landing near here. That he was certain of. Unfortunately his half brother failed to see the importance of his choice.

“You and your precious resources. You have enough to spend on pointless politics but you can't even call for your one damn dragon?” Again though his brother merely quirked an eyebrow and then closed his eyes. Their conversation was over. Inuyasha leaned back against one of the few surviving trees in the area and rested his eyes. The excitement he had felt shortly after finding out Kagome had return had slowly dwindled and despair once again threatened to overcome him. He missed his friends and wished for the comforting and wise words of the monk. Sango surely would have constantly reassured him that they would find her. Even Kirara would offer encouragement in her own way.

Where were they at now? It had been years since he had seen them. The jewel had altered them somehow. When it burst from Naraku's body after Kagome had pierced it with her arrow, it had glowed ominously before bursting into a million tiny pink particles. Not shattered like before but scattered to the wind in its passage from this world. Since that day Miroku and Sango had ceased to age. In fact they had been forced to leave Kaede's village years later when people began to ask questions. For a few decades they had traveled together destroying lesser youkai that plagued the human villages. Eventually they had found themselves nearly out of work. It was then they parted ways. Miroku and Sango heading north with Kirara and he south.

Then there was that little brat to think of too. Shippo hadn't taken Kagome's vanishing very well. He had stayed with Kaede until she passed a few short years later. Then he had bounced back and forth between Sesshoumaru's charge Rin and his own pack. After Rin had finally passed as an old woman he had taken Sesshoumaru's council and began wandering alone throughout Japan. After the Dutch began arriving he had gotten an even larger traveling itch, ending up on one of their boats and sailing to Europe.

It had only been a few years since Shippo had left and Inuyasha reluctantly admitted that he missed the little prankster. Well, Shippo wasn't exactly little anymore. He had grown up. No longer the fluffy child who clung to Kagome he was exploring the world and himself as a young man. Tall and strong, Inuyasha was proud to call the kitsune his own. Sesshoumaru and he had both trained Shippo in fighting. Miroku and Sango had taught the young kitsune many life lessons and over the years their combined tutelage had developed a strong, wise and brave youkai. Inuyasha wondered when he would see the boy again.

His mind filtered back to the days of long past. A green skirt and sparkling blue eyes greeted him before he fell into an unsettled sleep.

A thunderous sound jolted him from his rest. Inuyasha blinked his eyes in desperation to figure out what was going on. Another flash of gun power near the horizon alerted him to the beginning of the battle.

“You ready?” He heard the cold monotone of his brother off his left shoulder.

“Damn straight.” He tucked Tetsusaiga into his robes. Another canon shot could be heard near the castle. Dawn was just barely breaking and the rebels had indeed begun their assault. His protective urge soared when he realized that Kagome could be in grave danger. “Let's go!” He hollered before he began streaking towards the battle. In moments he could be reunited with the one he lost so very long ago. Kagome was near. He couldn't smell her but he knew deep inside that she was waiting just over the next ridge.

'Wait for me Kagome, I'm coming.'



A/N: Hurray for Reviewers!!!! CatLover260, angel-up-above-heaven, kryptoinuyasha, mysteriousmoon30, la623, GrammyInuLvr, Chanda, Kmoaton, Bluemoon4526, LadyCash, Catbaker, nabikineum, Inuyasha's God Sis, and Sisters Grimm.... Big hugs and lots of luff! I hope this chapter answers some of the many questions that have been sent my way!

Thanks always to Kokoronagomu for her research and editing skills!

I've hit almost 400 reviews and over 15000 visits so far between MM, ED, and FanFiction.net! How very exciting.