InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Battleground ( Chapter 40 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Battleground

“Dammit Kagome, stay with me!” She heard Misery shout over the clambering of metal and gun fire. This was too much. It was nothing like slaying a few oni. The agonizing screams of the wounded deafened her. The acrid smoke burned her throat and eyes. Around her men fell, never again to stand. She was barely keeping up. Trudging through the snow, weighed down by her heavy garments. Just ahead of her Misery created a bloody path for her to follow.

“I mean it Kagome. Hurray up!” Another curse followed as Misery grabbed Shiro by the collar and pulled him back before a samurai's blade sliced him clean through.

Kagome hauled herself over the reddened snow blocking a few attacks with her staff. Vomit threatened in her throat as one of Misery's blades decapitated a solider a foot in front of her. Her world was spinning, her mind threatening to shut down. She had to push on though, had to offer what little help she could. Shiro needed her protection. Something inside her asked for release as her body tired. Instinctively she realized what it was. Giving in she let the pulse of reiki surge, reveling in the feeling of it racing to the surface. Eyes shimmered brightest blue before flooding with deep burgundy.

“Oh Shit!” She heard the nephilim mumble before the blast of a canon ripped at her ear drums. Then as if in slow motion she watched the terrifying projectile hurdling through the air towards them. In seconds they would be nothing but scattered meat. It felt as if her heart was going to burst from her chest with the powerful beat it took. When the smoke cleared she realized what she had done. A iridescent globe sparkled around Misery, Shiro and herself. Protecting them from their enemy's weapon.

“Kagome-sama!” Shiro grinned ecstatically. “You have saved us!”

“I- I guess...” She stuttered before dropping the barrier.

“Less talk more movement.” Misery interrupted already pushing forward. She eyed Tsukune high on her left, severely outnumbered and on his way to being overcome. “You powers on high Kags?”

“I think so.” Kagome replied.

“Good. You look after Shiro. I'm going to go get that imbecile out of trouble.” She pointed towards the spot where Tsukune was battling.

“Be careful Misery-sama.” Shiro's loving eyes swept over her before she turned. He caught her words on the wind before another soldier sought to battle with him.

“You too kid! You too.”

Kagome watched as the fiery red head raced up the castle steps. She looked so agile, deer-like almost, as she bounded up the steps two at a time. Both had left their cloaks on the ship, preferring freedom of movement over warmth. Kagome thought it likely helped Misery having oni blood, for in battle she seemed immune to all the elements. She'd have to be wearing a skirt that was split clear to the hips in the dead of winter.

She broke her line of vision from Misery to scan the area for more threats. Another group of soldiers were heading in their direction. Shiro stepped between herself and the men, valiantly offering her his protection.

“I will keep you safe Kagome-sama. I promise you.” He boldly declared as he leveled his sword at the oncoming men.

“Shiro,” Kagome scanned the area noting that many of the rebels were beginning to be pushed back. Another group was busy raiding the storehouses of the castle, loading their loot onto the ships. “This isn't looking good. They're pushing us back.”

“I see that Kagome-sama. Perhaps Misery-sama was most wise in creating our escape route. A few more attempts I will allow, then I will sound the call for retreat. We must not give up so soon.”

“Alright!” She dusted off her red and white robes and twirled her staff in her hands. Misery wasn't the only one who could fight. The nephilim had taught her well and though she preferred to merely incapacitate the soldiers she would fight alongside their friend.

“Incoming!” Shiro shouted before raising his sword to block a vicious blow. Soon the pair were surrounded; determination shining brightly in their eyes as they worked their way out of the enclosure of men.

Misery glanced down from her high perch on the side hill to witness Shiro and Kagome being surrounded. She smiled widely as they impressively thwarted their opponents. Turning her attention back to Tsukune's predicament she noted grimly that he had sustained injury. Increasing her speed she began throwing unsuspecting Shogun soldiers out of the way as she made her way to the other lad.

Many of the men were being obstinate and standing back up, which only caused her minor concern. If they wished to die then she would grant them death. Her first goal was to reach Tsukune. She would deal with them after that. Just as she reached the wounded lad, a flash of red nearly bowled her over. After she was able to steady herself, she looked over her shoulder to see a familiar vision of fire rat unceremoniously creating a swath of destruction in the direction of Kagome. She was about to breath a sigh of relief when another chest pain brought her to her knees. Tsukune's cries where the only thing that signaled the onslaught of an attack. She barely raised her sword up in time to block the oncoming blow. Her eyes flashed dangerously as pain dissipated and she was able to stand. If the fools thought they would take her when she was down, she would show them just how wrong they were.

Kagome winced as her skin was split slightly from the man's blade. She was relieved that she had turned when she had. Otherwise the wound would have been much deeper. Shiro was holding up remarkably well for a boy who had seen so little battle. She could see why the Catholic followers had laid their trust in him. Not only was he charismatic, he was also strong and fearless when he needed to be.

“Kagome-sama, this way.” He urged, grabbing her arm and dragging her away from the bodies he had just laid waste to.

“Shiro, too many are falling!” She cried out. Now that she was no longer preoccupied with saving her own life, she could see their own being pushed away from the castle.

“I know. I will sound the call.” He replied grimly, not releasing his hold on her until they were in slightly safer territory. He left her as he moved the short distance to speak to one of his followers. Soon the shouts of retreat resounded across the battlefield. Ships prepared to depart as the Shogun's forces cried out in victory. It had only taken seconds from Shiro's departure for Kagome to find herself in a bit of a pickle. A dirty arm snaked around her throat, a hand slamming down on her mouth to silence any protests. She heard a sickening voice rumble with snide laughter against her ear.

“Well look what I caught. A poor little miko. Couldn't kill the others so I know you won't kill me.”

Kagome's eyes widened and she scanned the area looking for Shiro or Misery. His vice like grip had limited her movement so she was getting nowhere fast. Any attempt to free herself with normal methods would be futile. Though strong, her strength was no match for the monster of a man that held her tightly. She saw Shiro turn to search her out and heard his muffled cry of shock to find her in such a predicament. Her mind cried out 'trap' as she watched him hastily approach. Trap! Again it echoed. She was being used as bait. Slight movements in the wreckage off to her side was evidence enough. They would wait until Shiro was past before attacking him from behind. She tried to cry out in alarm but her voice was muffled by the beast's hand. She had to stop it. Misery was too far away and caught up in her own battle to aid them now. Her companion had asked her to watch over the boy and now she was failing. Closing her eyes tightly her stomach turned at what she was about to do. She released her reiki singeing the flesh of the man that held her. Ignoring his screams of pain and the nauseating stench of burnt flesh, she launched forward anxious to reach Shiro before the unthinkable occurred.

“Shiro, look out!” She screamed, colliding with him and knocking them both down. She saw the flash of steel out of the corner of her eye and waited for the blade to come crashing down on her back before her barrier could materialize. She waited and waited even after the tiny bubble of a barrier had surrounded them. Nothing came. Just the sound of metal upon metal.

“Bastard!”

Her heart stopped. That husky voice could belong to no other. Chancing a glance she turned her head. A sea of red floated around her. Then silver. It was him. Flesh and blood him. Inuyasha had found her.

“Inu... Yasha?” She whispered before she was distracted by two arms wrapping around her. Suddenly she found that Shiro had moved her off him and was anxiously pulling her up; half dragging her behind him.

“Kagome-sama! Youkai!” Shiro blurted out raising his sword in defense of the miko.

“Feh. This little runt is your protection?” Inuyasha growled menacingly at the very shaken youth.

Kagome didn't know what to say or what to do. She had dreamed of this moment for so very long. Envisioned how their reunion would be. Romantic and touching. Not like this. Not with her covered in dirt and blood. Definitely not with his stupid comments mucking up the moment. But it didn't matter. The moment had finally arrived and she wasn't about to waste it. Tears flooded her eyes as she pushed away from Shiro. She stumbled as she made her way towards him, whether from the unsteady terrain or the blurred vision she was experiencing.
“Baka! What took you so long?” She mumbled before grasping the front of his haori and burying her face in his chest. Unembarrassed she sobbed; oblivious of the battle that still raged on around them.

“Baka? You're one to talk.” He tried to grumble but knew the words came out softer than intended. He brought his free arm around to embrace her, trying to ignore the crimson blush that speckled his cheekbones. It felt so right though. To hold her, comfort her. Any misgivings he may have had about her leaving melted away with her touch. One hundred years were well worth waiting for a reunion like this.

“Kagome-sama?” Shiro cleared his throat trying not to watch the display of affection between his miko and the unknown youkai.

“Oh! Shiro. This is Inuyasha!” Kagome happily wiped the tears from her eyes and made quick introductions.

“I see. The legendary Inuyasha. I am honoured.” Shiro bowed respectfully to the hero his miko had told so many stories of. “My thanks for protecting Kagome-sama on your quest for the jewel.”

“Feh! Who the hell says I was protecting her for you!” The hanyou towered over the youth, growling at his dislike for him.

“Point taken.” Shiro backed off.

“Shiro! Kagome-sama!” A distant and pained voice came.

Turning Kagome was shocked to see a wounded Tsukune limping their way. She ran to meet him, flanked by her hanyou and the young rebel leader.

“Tsukune, you've been injured!” Kagome quickly assessed the damage done to the second in command and was relieved that wound was not life threatening.
“Your command sir?” Tsukune ignored the worry of the woman, directing his full attention to his leader.

“I have issued the call of retreat.” Shiro scanned the crowds. “It appears most of the men are boarding the ships. We leave at once.”

With that the pair turned and began the short tour to the port where their ships awaited. The bakufu samurai were already letting out their cries of victory as they pushed back the few remaining rebel lines that fought on to allow the majority to board the vessels. Kagome followed Shiro before suddenly realizing that they were missing one person.

“Tsukune. Where is Misery?” She asked. Tsukune turned to survey the area.

“She was right behind me. Misery-sama told me to locate you and Shiro.” The youth looked concerned as he continued to search for the missing nephilim.

“I have a bad feeling about this.” A deep feeling of unease settled in Kagome's chest as she raced to higher ground to look for her friend. She ignored the curses from Inuyasha and shouts from Shiro as she climbed to her perch. Settled high on a rock she squinted against the sun in a desperate attempt to spot the redheaded warrior. A few moments later she spotted the girl. Misery had crumpled to her knees in the middle of a small clearing. Her face was tear stained and her eyes vacant. Kagome could swear that the girl's mind was far away from where they were. Misery's dull eyes darted back and forth as if watching something but Kagome could not tell what the distant eyes saw. No one was near the mysterious woman.

“Misery!” Kagome screamed trying to get her attention. No response came. Instantly the miko was clambering down from her perch trying to reach the distraught nephilim until Inuyasha caught her by the arm.

“Are you crazy wench? You can't run through a battlefield.” He glared at her.

“I have to!” Kagome tried to jerk away, pausing when the wind suddenly increased around her. Her head turned slowly towards the source. Misery's face had skewed into one of immense pain and anguish.

“Shit!” Kagome released her reiki, allowing it to once again rush to the surface. The look on Misery's face combined with the flame that was beginning to ignite in the girl's palms was enough to kick her instincts into high gear. Kagome had been trained by the warrior and this was the one thing Misery had warned her against the most. Her fire attacks.

Inuyasha watched in stunned amazement as his tiny miko suddenly emitted a power unlike he had ever felt before. No miko had been born with such strength. Even more so was the change in her eye colour. Her beautiful blue eyes turned haunted as they shimmered in deepest burgundy. This was not the young girl who had vanished so many years ago. Something hard and cold had changed her. The look on her face was no longer one of uncertainty. Kagome held herself with such self confidence and determination.

His eyes turned back to the unknown woman slumped on the blood soaked battlefield. Her head tipped back as she released a bone chilling scream. Flames erupted around her engulfing her in a burning inferno. A huge barrier lifted between the rebels' ships, himself, and Kagome. He glanced at his miko to find she had planted her staff in the ground and was forcing her power through it. The barrier she had created would protect the fleeing rebels and them. Not a moment too soon either as a wall of flame hurled towards them impacting harshly with the sparkling wall. Swelling with pride, Inuyasha watched as Kagome neither winced nor budged as the force hit. Truly she was magnificent. More importantly she was back.

Kagome braced as the wall of flames fanned around her companion. What was happening? Why had Misery collapsed only to cry out in her native tongue before releasing her wrath of flames. She had managed to provide protection for the fleeing rebels but not for the enemy's men who were being burnt to a crisp before their eyes. There was nothing in her history books that described the rebels torching Shimabara castle before they fled to Hara. Nothing about a young woman who lit up like a bonfire. What were they going to do about this?

She allowed herself to breathe a sigh of relief when the smoke cleared revealing a barren wasteland covered with charred corpses and a singed castle. Misery was seemingly no worse for wear but very unconscious, lying in the middle of it all. Dropping the barrier she began to cautiously approach her friend.

“Don't worry about her Kagome. We need to get onto the ship.” Inuyasha's words gave her pause.

“What! I'm not leaving her you baka. How could you be so cruel!” She spat back. Turning to face him with her hands on her hips.

“Feh! That's not what I meant wench. Look.” He pointed back to the soot and blood stained form of her companion.

It was then that Kagome saw the pristine white figure approaching.

“Baka. Sesshoumaru will get her and bring her on board. Now lets move.” He lifted his miko into his arms before bounding off towards the only ship that remained docked.

X-X-X-X-X



Kagome sighed as she opened the door. It had been a long day. She had spent the last hour stripping away Misery's bloodied clothing, washing her and then bandaging her wounds. A tough job when your patient was unconscious and the work station was moving. Their hasty retreat had led them out into the rough waters of the Ariake Sea. Her companion had mostly only minor cuts and scratches that Kagome felt would heal well now that they were clean. She had spent most of her time tending to Misery's burnt hands. With the hands tightly wrapped and Misery clothed in Shiro's yukata she was finally opening the room to the two inpatient inu brothers pacing in the hallway.

“You can come in now.” She tried to smile though it was less than impressive. She was simply too worn out from the battle.

“How is she?” A voice down the hallway gave her pause after the Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru passed through.

“Shiro?” She asked the figure approaching through the darkened hall.

“Yes, Kagome-sama. How does Misery-sama fare?” The youth asked quietly when he at last came to stand in front of the miko.

“Missy is still sleeping. Her hands were badly burned but I think she will be alright.” She tried to reassure Shiro who look on the verge of a break down. She could hardly blame the boy if he did. The stress of leading men into battle and everything that had transpired was meant only to be carried on the broadest of shoulders, not of a child by modern standards.

The rebel leader nodded his head thoughtfully. “Please alert me when she awakes Kagome.”

“I will Shiro. I promise.”

Blue eyes stayed fixed on the receding form until he had faded into the black. Turning she came face to face with two irate looking youkai. Closing her eyes she took a deep breath before returning in silence to Misery's mat. Sitting beside her friend she leaned against the wall and began to absentmindedly run her fingers through the great lengths of auburn hair.

“Well, where do you want me to begin?” She asked outrightly. No use beating around the bush. They likely had a million questions and the night wasn't getting any longer.

“What happened to you?” Inuyasha finally asked quietly, his ears slightly slouching as if in defeat.

“How about you start by telling me what you remember? I know what I have to tell you is going to take a while.” She encouraged, hoping for a minute of rest before jumping into the crazy saga that was becoming her life.

“You just up and vanished Kagome. One moment you were firing an arrow at Naraku and the next you were dissolving into thin air. No sooner had the jewel been destroyed and you were gone. The well quit working and we all just moved on with our lives.” Inuyasha began.

As Kagome listened to him his recollection of events she focused on her love's appearance. He carried himself differently now. Stronger, yet almost apathetic. A spitting image of his full-blood brother as his eyes held more wisdom and she had yet to see a smile on his face. Had he really changed so much in their time apart? They had only been reunited for a few hours and she already felt the distance between them. Had time altered them to the point where they were so very different from the two kids who had met under Goshinboku? What would he think of her now?

His verbal memories continued and as did her wandering eyes. His robe of the fire rat remained the same but now not only was Tetsusaiga tucked on his hip. A smaller blade accompanied his father's fang. An interesting possession for a man who had no use for anything other than his family heirloom. What of the others as well? Her mind was so lost in thought that she almost missed his question.

“Did you try and come back?” He looked so pitiful with his ears plastered to his head. The whispered question hanging heavily in the air.

“Of course I did Inuyasha. Three months after my return I spent every day in that damn well. I almost went crazy with grief and worry. I missed you and the others.” Even her voice was tired though and she paused realizing her voice held no real conviction.

“Why the hesitation miko?” The cold gaze of her brother-in-law swept over her.

Blatantly she ignored him focusing solely on Inuyasha. “Tell me Inuyasha. Is that all you remember?”

“What do you mean?” Sorrowful amber eyes bore into her own.

“You were there in the future with me. Miroku, Sango and Kirara too. Do you remember any of that?”

He shook his head in confusion. She had said he was there but that was impossible. Inuyasha was stunned when Kagome recounted all that had happened in her time after the well had sealed.

“So you're saying we somehow made it through the well with Midoriko's assistance? I guess that would explain Miroku and Sango.” The hanyou mused.

“Then they're alive!” Kagome smile in earnest.

“We just thought that their longevity had something to do with being exposed to the jewel when is was dispatched.”

“Tell me miko, what of this woman.” Sesshoumaru suddenly stepped into the conversation.

Kagome had been watching him briefly through Inuyasha's and her exchange. When he thought nobody was paying attention he would steal quick glances at the unconscious nephilim. Apparently he had grown tired of waiting for his own answers.

“Let me tell you Sesshoumaru a most beautiful story.” Settling back against the wall once more Kagome began to weave an epic tale of romance. Careful to leave out details of Misery's whereabouts and association with Shippo, she began with the first days in the lab at his estate. She smiled when she retold the tale of the beach excursion cautiously omitting the part where Misery landed three perfect blows to his body. The old Sesshoumaru would not likely respond well to such information. Nostalgic, she told of the explosion incident in the lab that lead to the romantic and intense spellbound ritual under the tree. Pausing there, her eyes widened when she realized he had inched closer to both her and Missy. Slowly she built the story to the first encounter with Cernonnus and his gallant rescue of the damsel in distress. Then adding more suspense with the move to the fantastical island and paused with the heartbreaking death of her heroine.

“So she dies.” His normal cold eyes flashed with the briefest of emotions before the facade was lifted once more.

“Patience Sesshoumaru, I am not quite finished.” Kagome again teared as she remembered the final battle with Cernonnus and the warmth of Misery's encouragement before Tensaiga restored her to the land of the living. She finished with her memory of a bruised and battered Sesshoumaru shedding a single tear for the woman he loved.

“Kagome,” Inuyasha suddenly chimed in saving his brother from the humiliation of having been seen showing emotion. “How then did you end up in this time?”
The miko stifled a yawn and then proceeded to relate how they had all vanished from her world and of the reopening of the well. She also told of their trip across Japan and how she had become associated with the rebels.

“I see.” The quiet response of the hanyou reflected his contemplation of the tale.

“Your miko needs rest.” Sesshoumaru stated as he rose to leave. He issued not another word as he slipped out the door quietly.

“So I guess I'll talk to you tomorrow. I still have questions.” Inuyasha mumbled almost overcome by the intense silence that weighed down upon them. The nervousness was back. He had always felt so calm in her presence yet now something was very different. His Kagome was different and he was having a hard time coming to grips with the changes that had occurred. The distance that had separated them in time, now wedged between them like an uncomfortable itch. He was scratching to get out of the room before his unease grew. Why was he feeling this way? This was his Kagome. Wasn't it?

“Inuyasha?” Kagome asked apprehensively, keenly aware of the unseen tension that sparked between them. “You won't be far will you?”
“No, just a few doors down.” Her question somehow warmed him. Reassured him slightly. She still needed him.

“Good night Inuyasha.” He heard her sleepy valediction as he closed the door behind him.

“Good night Kagome.”