InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Dishevel ( Chapter 46 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Another treat for my readers! Thank you mysteriousmoon30, la623, kmoaton, catlover260, psycochick32, angel-up-above-heaven, catbaker, and little25victor for another round of awesome reviews!

Special thanks to my wonderful beta Kokoronagomu for not only editing my work but coming up with the title as well. Thanks for that hun!

Another shout out to CatLover260 for finding some errors in my work! Thanks!

Dishevel

Fall, 1898

The sun's dying rays slipped slowly down the walls of the land's greatest castle. Amber, gold and yellow encased a world that was distant and mysterious to many of the villagers that surrounded the high and sturdy walls. Inside two lonely souls prepared for another torturous night of solitude and despair. In the light of day they pushed away the hurt inside to focus on the demands of their now great positions. Immersed in the stress and trials of leading their people and quelling the forces that threatened, they had managed some form or semblance of normality. It was the dark that allowed for their minds to wander and their hearts to bleed.

In the moments before the sun dipped below the horizon and the black began to grow, they often gathered here. The calming fountains and gentle sounds of nature soothed the beasts within. Tonight was no different than any other. Settled in the midst of the western citadel's serene gardens they sought the strength of each other.

“Tell me again brother about the world they come from.” The Lord's insipid voice drummed in the silence.

“The sounds were overwhelming the first time I stepped into her reality. The scents disorientating. I rarely ventured from her home but the lack of youkai was unnerving. I always wondered what had happened to our people.” Inuyasha began but his tale swerved from it's usual path. For days he had contemplated the future of youkai. His own brush with Kagome's time did not fit in with their current situation.

“You are bothered by the present brother?” Sesshoumaru had recognized the subtle change in Inuyasha's mood over the past few days.

“It just doesn't fit. Youkai are flourishing. After taking in Shiro and his followers you became an advocate for co-existence. The numbers had been dwindling up until that point. The lesser youkai had all but been extinguished from the lands and the more developed youkai like ourselves had began hiding themselves from the human race. Since developing the peace treaty with the daimyo and taking up some of Shiro's ideas, the youkai nobles began to take a more active role in their own lands. With our reunion just over a hundred years away there is no way our thriving numbers can disappear.” His brows furrowed, creasing his face as he pondered the perplexing problem.

“Did Kagome not say that they had a purpose? Even she was unaware of the true meaning of their return to the past. Perhaps it was to save youkai from a bleak and limited existence?” The elder of the brothers had often pondered this problem after the first few recollections of the future Inuyasha had shared with him. A future with no youkai was out of the question. Taking in Shiro and the others had given him a reason to put up with what he had thought was an inferior race. The lad had taught him much about acceptance.

Over the years he had developed a plan to rebuild the decreasing population of youkai. Shiro had assisted him in forging deep relations with the reigning leaders in Japan. The fear of youkai still prevailed and it had been easy to secure an influential position in the human courts. For the most part youkai had ruled over the lands, adding to the prosperity through their wisdom all the while staying out of the meaningless conflicts the humans engaged in far too often. The introduction of the Meiji period had been introduced with such conflict but a curious peace had settled through the lands. The age of swordplay and bloodshed were numbered. The wars were now won with debate and trade tactics.

Yes, he had thought long and hard about the future of youkai. It seemed to him that Kagome's last trip to the past was indeed to change the tides. Had he continued on the path he had chosen he likely would have joined the other youkai nobility and faded into the clouds. During those times they had seen themselves far superior to the mortals that were populating like filthy rabbits, sowing their seeds whenever they had the opportunity. Perfection was achieved only by carefully and deliberately selected breeding which in turn was becoming a problem. The humans had destroyed the lesser youkai and his own race's destruction was wrought by the superiority complex the nobility all had. With everyone thinking they were the best, no intermingling was occurring and the species were becoming barren.

Shiro was the one who had made that deduction. That boy had contributed to the youkai race more than any other creature. His influence, accompanied with Inuyasha's knowledge of the future had sparked some strange desire within him. Sesshoumaru had changed his course and began an empire that was still thriving today. His high standing within the youkai world had made the rest possible. Slowly more and more nobles had taken interest in co-existence and developed their own treaties with the Japanese daimyo. They had seen much change through the years. All thanks to one miko and her fiery companion who had the compassion to save the lives of thousands of Christian followers.

“Brother?” Inuyasha noticed that Sesshoumaru's thoughts had once again strayed. “Do you think she ever realized her true purpose? Are you so certain that this is what Midoriko wished?”

Inuyasha's amber eyes watched closely as the taiyoukai wandered over the short bridge. He looked so very different from the aristocratic assassin of the past. Sesshoumaru's long locks were pulled back high on his head making him resemble their father very much. Inuyasha was grateful for the opportunity to acquaint himself with this man. Kagome had reunited him with the only remaining family he had. Though it had taken them awhile to get past their differences, time had brought them very close. When Sesshoumaru motioned him over, he joined him on the bridge. Gazing at his reflection in the water, he realized just how much he himself had changed. Gone was the rash and brazen boy of his youth. Hell, even his fire rat had been replaced. Tailored clothing covered his muscles, the fabric much tighter and more restricting than his father's keepsake. His face had not changed but his eyes hinted at his age.

“Midoriko-sama was a child pushed to maturity far too fast. Her ideals had been embedded into her by the elders who trained her. In those times there was no love lost between humans and youkai. I'm am most certain that even as a miko her heart was tainted ever so slightly with hatred for our kind. Kagome was a girl born of a different time. A more peaceful time like this now. Her values were based upon acceptance and truth. I believe your miko had a positive influence on the creator of the Shikon no Tama. Midoriko-sama through her power and wisdom realized an opportunity to pay penance for some of the wrongs she had done.” Sesshoumaru's tired words faded quietly into the growing night.

“Penance?” Inuyasha chuckled thinking the word very ironic. “Those who are born with great power are also cursed with great responsibility. Sesshoumaru, had they not come back would this world be a different place?”

“Aye. The world would have remained as you remembered of her time. A world plagued with humans who cared not for the environment around them. There is much more change to come. Shippo tells me that Europe's oni and youkai are finally forming treaties like us. No longer will they be persecuted by the humans that are ignorant of their kind. Their depleting numbers came much after our own kinds, but their future would have been much the same. Japan's period of isolation has finally come to an end. Our council has been making great strides on a global scale in aiding other immortals' integration with the human world. It will not be easy for them after so many years of living hidden amongst humans. Their reemergence will be difficult. A century from now will see much acceptance between the two races.” Sesshoumaru was certain of this. The rest of the world had many obstacles to overcome. Japan was lucky to have been so immersed in the two cultures. He had faith that his and Inuyasha's dreams would be realized.

“We are almost there brother.” Inuyasha reached out and laid a comforting hand on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. “Just over one hundred years left before we see their smiling faces.” Gently he pulled out the worn and tattered photos Kagome had left with him. The years had been long but they had held it together. Sesshoumaru and he had learned to lean on one another for support. Their sanity weighing heavily on the thin papers gifted to them by the precious miko. The images in the photos had faded over the years but the smiles still remained bright on the four by six sheets.

“Time cannot pass fast enough Inuyasha. How I long to search her out.” Claws lengthened before harshly digging into the ornately carved wood railing. She was out there somewhere.

“Soon Sesshoumaru. You will be with her soon.” Inuyasha worried greatly for the taiyoukai. Kagome wouldn't be born for decades and her time was one of peace. He had a sense of relief knowing she would be safe. Misery had lived through much more trying times. When Japan had dropped the curtain of isolation Shippo had taken to traveling. His stories of the oppression and huntings of immortals in the rest of the world had not sat well with Sesshoumaru. When the trading vessels had once again settled continually on their shores, much information about the western civilization had filled Japan. Sesshoumaru had learned of the brutal and ritualistic slayings in Europe and had gone mad with rage. Inuyasha had fought with the taiyoukai, taking them both to the edge of their limits to keep Sesshoumaru rooted on Japanese soil. The battle had been long and hard, ending in two near fatal wounds for both of them. Kagome's warning had rung heavily in his mind the whole time. It was crucial that Sesshoumaru not meet his mate before the intended time.

“May daylight come quickly brother.” Sesshoumaru nodded respectfully at the hanyou before retiring.

Remaining fixed in the cool night air, Inuyasha closed his eyes and recalled the perfect vision of blue eyes and glossy hair. Decades would pass quickly enough in this peace and he would be waiting for her when she returned from the past.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome sat at the comfort of her family's table. Her smile waned only when her mother and brother weren't chatting merrily by her side. The day had been long but filled with much happiness. She had arrived early that morning, shell shocked by being suddenly dumped into the well by her hanyou. For the longest time she had simply sat at the bottom, eyes wide and unmoving. Eventually her shock had turned to tears and then her tears to anger. That was how Souta found her, cursing a blue streak and vowing revenge for being dumped so nonchalantly down the well.

Her mother was the only one who could reason with her, assuring her that perhaps Inuyasha had thought it easier for both of them to get the parting over and done with. Leave it to her hanyou to take an opportunity for a perfect farewell and lose it to his rash way of thinking. Then again, had they dallied any longer she was certain he would have refused to let her leave at all. Content in the knowledge that he had only done what was best for the both of them, she had let herself relax in her family home.

Home. It had seemed so strange at first. Reunited with two souls who she had watched be torn from the fabric of her reality. To see them smiling and laughing beside her had brought her a renewed sense of peace. Everything finally felt right to her, everything except for the lack of her mate and friends.

As the sun gave way to the lonely moon she sat snuggled on the couch with Souta while her mother brought in a snack for them all. The movie they watched failed to engage her totally and her mind wandered to the past. What had Inuyasha done in her absence? Had Sesshoumaru and he been able to pass the years in relative peace and co-existence? Her thoughts were brought back to her own reality when the movie broke for commercial. Eyes widened at what she saw. A dark haired youkai was selling the newest phone. A youkai was on television.

“Mama! Youkai!” She stuttered, a shaking hand pointing at the television.

“Why yes dear. There are youkai on television.” Her mother's eyes twinkled in mirth at the startled expression on the young miko's eyes.

“This is weird. Before I left there were so few youkai in existence and they all were concealed from humanity. How is it that when I return they are suddenly in television ads?” Kagome stared at the youkai who was giving a very lovely sales pitch.

“It must be so difficult for you Kagome. Your past varies from the one that we all recall. I assure you though that youkai are alive and well and have always been an important part of our society.” Mrs. Higurashi informed her daughter.

“I see.” Considering she had already experienced so much change in the past year, it really came as no surprise once she thought about it. Misery and she had managed to change the past after all. At this point in time though she could not comprehend how saving a group of Christian supporters had so drastically altered her reality. Inuyasha would have the answer for her.

Her mood sank a little. She had been home for a whole day and he had yet to come for her. Had his feelings for her changed over the centuries? Had he forgotten about her.

“Give him time Kagome.” Her mother could easily read her daughters thoughts. It wasn't hard to see the hurt and anxiety shining in those bright blue eyes. “This is a global environment. It's hard to tell where exactly he would have ended up over the years. That and I'm sure he would have some trouble pinpointing the exact moment of your arrival. To avoid coming in contact with his younger self in the past few years he has likely steered clear of the shrine.”

“Thanks Mama. I'm sure you're right.” Kagome smiled lovingly at her parent. Somehow her mother always knew exactly what to say. “Mama?”

“Yes dear?”
“Misery came back a week ago right?”

“She did.”

“Do you know where she went?” Kagome was certain her friend would have laid low for awhile, it was just in Misery's nature to hide when she was uncomfortable.

“A friend of hers dropped off a package before she returned. It only contained an address and a set of keys. I think she is somewhere relatively close. I gave her our phone number before she left and she called me a day or two later and left her cell number. Why don't you give her a call?” Mrs. Higurashi disappeared into the kitchen, returning with a hand held phone and a tiny slip of paper.

“Thanks Mama.” Kagome was quick to accept the phone and dial the neatly written phone number. Misery had been here for a week longer than her. It was possible that she had already come into contact with Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha. Maybe even Shippo, Miroku and Sango. The phone began to ring and she felt a slight sense of excitement to speak with her friend again. Four rings later and voice mail picked up. Disheartened she left a quick message instructing Misery to contact her as soon as possible.

“No answer?” Her mother question.

“No. I'll try her again in the morning. It's getting pretty late so I think I'll head for bed now.” Kagome was suddenly assaulted with a sense of unease. Misery should have answered. As she climbed the stairs she began to worry about the other girl. This world was so different from the one they had left. There was really no telling what they could encounter. Mother had said that a friend had left a package for Misery and the only person that could be was Shippo. It was safe to assume that Shippo had gotten her an apartment and she was currently there. Kagome blushed when she began thinking of other reasons the red head hadn't answered. Possibly she had just reunited with Sesshoumaru. Shaking her head clear of her thoughts she slipped into her sleepwear and was soon fast asleep in the comfort of her old bed.


X-X-X-X-X

Silver eyes glazed over as the blood stained woman sat slouched against one of the trees in the isolated sea side park. Her gaze fixated on the pile of ashes next to the rocky shore that overlooked the quaint bay. How long had it taken? The blackness around her was beginning to lighten and soon the softest rays of light would be breaking over the surf. Morning was upon her. A new day awakening. A new start. Misery failed to see the beauty of the day though as the pile of ash near her feet began to disperse on the salty sea breeze.

Cernonnus had fought with a renewed vigor after she had drawn first blood. They had eventually taken to the air in a whirlwind display of feathers, steel and crimson. Her leather jacket had been shredded and she had shed it as it had inhibited her movement. Minutes turned into hours as they danced an enemies' waltz. Cernonnus had tried multiple times to sway her opinion of him, promising her the world if she would join him and open the gates to her grandfather's world. Empty words dripping in crazed lust. The man was evil incarnate.

In the end she had found herself pinned under him, weakened from the long and trying battle. When he had pushed her legs apart and ground suggestively against her hips she had felt a moment of panic. Her hand that was pinned to her side and brushed against the cool handle of Inuyasha's gun. The rest had been a blur. She remembered the slimy feeling of his lips against hers, the crawling sensation on her skin as his hand had slid under her shirt and grasped painfully on her breast. Anger had rose inside like she had never experienced before. Her own beast had rushed to the surface and the next thing she knew his eyes had drained of life as her own ears rang from the thunderous blast. Now she was left in a daze watching as the ash that had once been the form of terror in her life, flitted on the breeze.

She had won. Sent the evil back into the depths of hell and regained her own freedom. At long last her eyes drifted away from the sickening remnants of the man to the horizon. It would be morning soon. The sea was calm and the park still quiet. Off to her side the bridge was becoming active, the odd car zipping across the top.

Struggling to her feet she used her swords to push herself up. On wobbly legs she made her way to Shippo's bike. A beeping from inside her helmet alerted her to her phone. Flipping it open she found she had two messages. The first was a text from Shippo. He wrote that the meetings he and his partners had been involved in had been cut short and they were catching a plane back to Japan that night. Estimated time of arrival was seven in the morning.

“Business partners eh?” She mused to herself as she checked her voice mail. The cheerful voice of Kagome was soon ringing in her ear. Kagome was back and Shippo was on his way to her as well. She dragged her lethargic limbs onto the black bike and gingerly pulled the helmet over her bruising face. With a sigh she kicked the stand in and fired up the engine. Pulling away from the beach side park she sped into the black, pushing to get to the shrine before the first of the sun's rays.

She pulled onto the freeway and formulated a plan. Shippo was likely in business with the two youkai Kagome and herself needed most in this world. In a few hours they would be touching down at the international airport. Aware of her tattered and torn appearance she knew she needed a few things before then. There was only one place she could get what she needed in her condition and at this time of day.

Quickly she made her way into the heart of Tokyo's most dangerous section of town. She knew the area well. Slowing the bike she parked in a dark alley and leaving the helmet, trotted down a set of steps to an underground warehouse.

“Well look what the cat drug in. You look like shit girl.” The scratchy voice of the shop owner greeted her.

“Hey J. I need a few things.” She smiled at the familiar face. It had likely been a few years since she had last darkened the doors of this establishment but the rough looking J always treated her well. The black market pawn shop operated after the sun went down and catered to some of the darkest of Tokyo's inhabitants. You could buy anything here. From soda to weapons, he carried it all. This was the only place she could come covered in blood, roughed up and packing heat and no one would take a second look.

First she needed something to cover up in. The ripped and tattered tank top was barely holding together. She also needed to conceal the weapons on her if she was going to wander around the city. Finding another leather jacket she shrugged it on. Next was what she needed for Kagome. With an extra helmet and jacket under arm she dropped her cash on J's counter.

“That's all honey?” He smirked.

“Enough for now.” She grinned back. That was how she liked it. No questions asked just a simple exchange. “Later J!”

With a wink she was back out the door and quickly she had secured the jacket and helmet on the back of her ride. An odd sensation tingled at her senses and she had the oddest feeling of being followed. She glanced around and after failing to see anyone she again eased the helmet over her sore face. An instant later she was pulling away from the pawn shop and heading back in the direction of the shrine.

Back on the freeway her suspicions were confirmed. Though the traffic was much heavier now, she could clearly make out two bikes trailing her. Grinning she cracked open the throttle and sped off, weaving haphazardly through the morning rush. See if they could follow her now. Her tail lights flashed as she made her way towards Kagome.

X-X-X-X-X

“What the hell are you two dogs yapping about?” This was beyond ridiculous. There was no way in hell his precious Misery would have ever taken a liking to his arrogant leader. Shippo scowled at the two brothers as they made their way back to Tokyo in their comfortable private jet.

“She met up with Kagome in an alternate reality and a bunch a crap happened changing this time from when I visited. Easy as that runt.” Inuyasha explained again.

“I haven't even seen Kagome yet! How would Misery meet her?” Shippo barked back, frustrated and feeling as if he had betrayed her confidence. He had vowed to never speak her name to anyone to keep her safe from Cernonnus and here he was having an all out discussion about her with Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha.

“Their reality and ours now is different remember? We told you that already. Don't get your tail in a knot kid.” Inuyasha was trying not to laugh at the confused and angered expression on the kitsune's face.

“Whatever! Let me tell you though that there is no way that I am letting him get anywhere near her!” He growled, pointing an accusing finger at the Lord of the western lands.

Sesshoumaru's eyes flashed red before he reached out and nailed Shippo with his fist. Inuyasha only had a moment to restrain his brother before the conflict threatened to escalate into something volatile high over the ocean. To his amazement Sesshoumaru regained his perfect composure and sat back in his leather chair, a thin smile pressed on his lips.

“Bastard! What was that for?” Shippo wiped the trickle of blood that trailed from his broken lip. He hadn't expected such an outburst from the normally cool and aloof taiyoukai.

“For touching my mate.” Sesshoumaru's voice crackled with animosity. He was furious that all these years a member of his own pack had been caring for his mate. She had been so close yet so far away. The three of them had only realized this when Miroku and Sango had spotted Misery in Tokyo. Sesshoumaru had given the pair direct orders to locate her before the three of them had left on the business trip to America. That was the first time he had spoken her name to anyone other than Inuyasha. When they had reported back to him Shippo had been in the room. The kitsune had went wild to see his ward displayed on Sesshoumaru's laptop.

The fist scuffle had been broken up by Inuyasha just as this one had. Sesshoumaru had done his best to restrain the beast within that had wanted to strangle the little brat for keeping her from him for all this time. He had spent the last few days isolated from Shippo, realizing that it wasn't really the kid's fault and that the best course of action to save the kitsune from his rage was to steer clear. They were forced to be confined together in a small plane for the long flight home.

“Touching your mate? You abandoned her for centuries and you still want to call her yours?” Shippo crossed his arms and stared out the window. This was asinine. Sesshoumaru might be one of the worlds greatest youkai but he was sure making an ass of himself. What man would leave their mate unprotected?

“It was her wish that we not meet until the present.” Sesshoumaru argued back. Shippo was astonished when sad, pained eyes finally met his own and his anger had drained away to some other heart wrenching emotion.

“Do you have any idea what she has been through?” The kitsune's voice quieted as he recalled her past.

“No.”

“Well then, why don't I educate her so called mate.”

X-X-X-X-X


Kagome awoke with a start when her door was forced open. She screamed when her eyes came to rest on a black looming figure braced in the door.

“Oh stop playing the drama queen!” Misery smirked as she pulled off her helmet.

“Misery! You bag!” The miko threw a pillow at her friend in a show of anger. Her eyes widened when she finally noticed the girl's appearance. Her face was bruised and bloodied. Her open jacket revealed an equally destroyed shirt and torso. The leather pants she was wearing bore gashes and dirt. “What happened Misery? You're a wreck!”

“Get dressed.”

“Why? The sun isn't even up yet.” Kagome yawned and stretched before obliging the command of her red headed friend. “You gonna tell me what happened to you?”

“Cernonnus was alive.” Misery leaned nonchalantly against the wall as if their conversation was about the latest movie rather than her nemesis.

“Was?” Kagome paused from shimming into her jeans. “Don't tell me you went up against him alone?”

“Had no choice. He found me and I took care of business.” Misery was startled when to warm arms suddenly wrapped around her. Kagome had embraced her and she could feel hot tears on her own cheeks.

“Oh Miss. I should have been there with you. Are you alright?” Kagome settled back away from Misery, her blue eyes searching intently into the steely gray orbs in front of her. Lovingly she wiped away the tears that trickled on the nephilim's face.

“A little worse for wear but I'll be fine. I feel so much lighter now that it's over.” Misery smiled at the miko she had come to love as family. Truth was, she hadn't felt scared until now. The emotions she had pushed aside so she could fight came rushing to her. Despite her best wishes to appear unaffected, large tears rolled down her face.

“You don't look very good at all. Let me look at your wounds.” Kagome tried again. The nephilim really was in bad shape. Closer inspection revealed just how badly the other had been injured. Even with the lights still off it was easy to see the dirt and blood that stained every inch of her body.

“No time. I think I know where they are Kags.” Misery brushed away the searching hands of the miko.

“They? You mean Inuyasha!” She squealed and raced to finish getting dressed. This wasn't what she had expected to wake to but she wasn't complaining. Misery was in bad shape but only for a human. She was strong and Kagome knew that nothing would deter her once she had made her mind up about something.

“Shippo sent me a text. They are landing at the airport at seven. We don't have much time. The airport is on the other side of the city and we are going to be hitting rush hour traffic.”

“Rush hour! Kami, a taxi will never get us there in time!”

“Taxi? I have another ride in mind!” Misery grinned as she reached behind the door and pulled out the extra helmet and jacket.

“Bike! You want me to ride on a bike.” Kagome looked doubtful at the prospect of her straddling something so powerful.

“Come on Kags, you rode Inuyasha all the time! It can't be much different.” Misery chuckled at the blush that stained the young miko's face.

“That's different. I knew he wouldn't let me fall.”

“And I won't either. Let's lay some tracks sweetie. We have a plane to catch!”

X-X-X-X-X

The cabin of the plane had fallen silent. Neither Inuyasha nor Sesshoumaru knew how to stomach the gory details of Misery's young life. The hanyou watched carefully as the play of emotions raced across the taiyoukai's face. Disbelief, self loathing and finally anger. How she had survived was a miracle. Inuyasha thought of Kagome then and how he would have felt if it had been her instead. He felt his own eyes flood red. To suffer so was unacceptable. The urge to hold his miko was almost too much. He needed her to calm the beast inside. Needed to know that she had been safe and protected all this time.

“My apologies Shippo for judging you so harshly. My many thanks for keeping my Misery safe through the years. I owe you greatly.” Sesshoumaru suddenly broke the silence. He had wrongfully judge the kitsune. Had Shippo not kept her whereabouts a secret she would have needlessly been placed in danger again and again.

“No need to apologize Sesshoumaru.” Shippo began. He had over reacted as well. Misery would be well protected with the taiyoukai as her mate. It was going to take some getting used to but he was certain that once he had a chance to speak with his friend all would be well. “She is lucky to have found someone like you.”

“Sorry to interrupt your bonding session boys but looks like we'll be landing in half an hour.” Inuyasha interjected. He still was struggling to control the youki within. Thoughts of Kagome being subjected to such trials kept replaying in his head. Each image was becoming more and more brutal. They couldn't land soon enough.

X-X-X-X-X

“We're still being followed! Dammit!” Misery kicked the bike into a higher gear and weaved precariously through the traffic.

“Who are they?” Kagome shouted, arms gripped tightly around the nephilim's waist.

“Don't know. Maybe some of Cernonnus' henchmen. They caught me when I was downtown. Must have followed me to the Shrine after all.”

“Are we going to make it in time?”

“Should. I can see the planes landing now. It's going to get rough once we hit the airport. I'm afraid I have to do some illegal acts to get us into the landing zone.” Misery touched the brakes to avoid the rear end of a transport truck that had pulled into their lane.

“Illegal?” Kagome closed her eyes tightly thinking the worst was about to come when the truck merged in front of them.

“You know, crash the gates and what not. Baka driver!” The red head waived her fists at the truck driver as she narrowly avoided him and sped past.

“You're taking us right in? Why not just wait for them at the arrival gates?”

“They are flying privately. I doubt they'll come through the commercial gates. Not only that but it'll be a bugger to spot them in those crowds.”

“I knew you would say something like that. Just don't upset the bike when we do the gate crashing stuff.”

“Wouldn't dream of it Kags.”

Misery took another glance behind her. The pair of would be spies still trailed. They had yet to attempt to over take her and that was what bothered her so much. The two bikes seemed content to simply follow, never indicating any threatening actions. Focusing her attentions ahead of her she took inventory of the approaching airport. Years had passed since she had last been here but she thought she remembered the layout rather well. Dipping off on the second exit she pushed forward. They would be lucky to make it to the landing area before the plane touched down. That is if they made it past security at all.

The first trial was upon them. The security arms of one lane where just starting to come down as a car was let through. This was the staff entrance to the loading warehouses. Once they made it through there they would only have two more gates until they were on the air field.

“Hang on!” Misery screamed and instantly felt the arms around her tighten. In a flash of black they raced through the first gate, paying no heed to the shouts and whistles of the security guards.

Her pulse raced as they skidded around a turn with sirens blaring behind them. The next gate proved just as easy to breach as luck was on their side. A transport truck was being directed through into the warehouse area. The people manning the gate didn't have a chance to get the gates drawn before she had blown through it as well. The last obstacle was more difficult. The gate leading to the air strip was no mesh fence. The strong steel doors would be impossible to penetrate with the bike alone.

“Gonna need one of your power balls Kags!” Misery commanded not taking her hand off the accelerator.

“Are you kidding me!” Kagome squealed opening her eyes and peering over the shoulder of the nephilim.

“Do I look like I'm kidding!”

“Kami Missy! You are nuts!” Even as she spoke the words her eyes were flooding burgundy. Behind the barrier was her destiny and with the amount of adrenaline pulsing through her veins she knew she could not stop. Releasing her hold on her companion she extended her arm towards their target. A flash erupted from her palm and the powerful orb shattered the gates in a blinding explosion.

“Perfect!” Misery congratulated and she rushed through the smoke and debris. They had made it. The air strip was busy as they raced along the edges. Flying past the commercial air liners and cargo planes they moved towards the isolated section of the strip reserved for private aircraft. Above them a small jet began its descent.

“Do you think that's them?” Kagome pointed when Misery slowed the bike and concealed them behind a large cargo container.

“Only one way to find out.”

The pair watched as the plane's landing gear connected with a screech on the dark pavement. The engines whined as they idled down. Anxiously they kept their eyes on the doors as the stairs where moved up to the exits and the doors cracked open. The first passenger slowly made his way off the jet and onto the pavement below. Kagome's eyes widened as she recognized the red haired kitsune immediately.

Both girls let out a squeal of joy and left their hiding place, joyously running full tilt towards their friend. The kitsune appeared shocked by the sudden outburst in front of him. Seconds passed before he realized he knew the leather clad women racing towards him.

“Misery? Kagome?” He mouthed before he was overtaken by the crushing embraces of the two women. Lovingly he squeezed back, overwhelmed at their reappearance in his life.

Kagome and Misery stood grinning at the giddy kitsune when two more forms darkened the door of jet. It was Kagome who first noticed, her reiki tingling and heart racing at the familiar youki that brushed past her senses. Looking up her eyes met and held with hard amber. She was surprised at the tinge of red that encircled his irises. Inuyasha was finally in front of her but he looked enraged. Was she wrong to seek him out? Had he moved on without her?

Her glance shifted to Sesshoumaru only to find the same thing. The taiyoukai looked just as enraged as her own mate. Tentatively she reached out and tugged on Misery's sleeve. The pair on top of the stairs looked absolutely terrifying. So much so that once she had gained Missy's attention she took a step back.

“Maybe we shouldn't have come Miss. They don't look so thrilled to see us.” The miko whispered, half cowering behind the two red heads.

“Nonsense.” Shippo interjected moving away from them. “The flight was just a little long and the conversation led to some unwelcome thoughts for them. That and I doubt they like the fact that I was the first to get to hold you two.”

“Listen here runt. You have two seconds to get the hell outta here!” Inuyasha growled as he took the steps two at a time. Jumping near the bottom he cleared the rest of the stairs and stalked towards Kagome. He could sense her unease but there was nothing he could do about it. The beast inside was still raging and she was the only one who could calm his frazzled nerves.

His eyes centered on her he issued a silent command for her to remain where she was. Her eyes widened with each step he took but she did not budge. That was his Kagome. Strong and courageous. She might be scared to death right now but she would not back down. Two more strides and he was at her side. One arm snaked possessively around her slim waist, riveting her to him. The other was soon intertwined in the back of her hair. With a gentle tug, he tilted her head back and crushed his lips to hers. He barely allowed her any breath as he continued the assault on her. Her body trembled under his touch and when he finally broke contact he had to hold her up for her legs had gone weak.

“Inuyasha?” Kagome whimpered as she clung to him as if the world would fall out from beneath her. At long last they were reunited. Able to spend the rest of their lives together with no more interruptions. She reached a trembling hand up to trace his youkai markings. How much had he suffered? What had his life been like over the years? Such a huge gap would exist between them because of it but she was willing to be put to the test just to stay by his side. She would make it up to him. Never again would he spend a moment alone. As her finger reached his lips a broken sob tore from her lips.

“Kagome?” Worried eyes searched the teary face. He had thought their reunion would be one of great happiness yet his mate had dissolved into a blubbering mess in his arms. Even now she was mumbling words in his chest, gasping for air between sobs and pulling his forelocks.

“Just hold her for awhile. She's just playing the drama queen again.” A gentle voice beside him giggled and Inuyasha turned to face a very rough looking nephilim.

“What the hell?” He quirked an eyebrow at the bruised and bloodied woman beside him. She simply waived him off and rubbed the back of his mate.

“Kagome. Stop being so girlie and welcome him back into your life properly. The limo is here so why don't you go home with Inuyasha.” Misery laughed again when Kagome could only hiccup and nod.

“You look like shit.” Inuyasha's eyebrows furrowed as he took in the ragged appearance of his sister-in-law.

“Thanks for the compliment. Now, do you think he is going to budge or am I going to have to drag him down here.” Misery stood with her hands on her hips glaring at the frozen taiyoukai still in the door of the jet.

Inuyasha turned to look at his brother. Shock must have set in for Sesshoumaru still had not budged from his high perch. He thought it odd that the normally perfect and all knowing taiyoukai was at even more than at a loss for words. It seemed his brother had completely lost his senses.

“Perhaps he's feeling inadequate at his role as a mate. Shippo told us your story and I think he is still processing the information. You want me to call for another limo? Who knows when he'll come around.” Inuyasha began ushering the still crying miko towards the limo. He had other things to do than wait for his brother.

“Nah, I'll just take Shippo's bike.”

“My bike! Who the hell said you could use it when I was gone.” Shippo growled from inside the stretched vehicle.

Misery merely rolled her eyes and shut the car door behind Inuyasha and Kagome. Perhaps it was the crowd that was making both of them uneasy. While they were all around she could play the part of the tough and unmoving rebel. As she watched the car role down the tarmac she found she was suddenly shaking from anxiety. A warm hand touched her shoulder and she found she couldn't move. Another hand settled lightly on her hip and a warm body pressed lightly against her back.

“Who did this too you.” A growl vibrated beside her one ear sending shivers down her spine.

“Cernonnus.” Her voice barely sounded on the air.

“I will take much pleasure in ripping him apart.” The menacing voice hissed beside her.

“He's dead.”

“I see.”

An awkward silence filled an unknown void between them. Where did they go from here? They had just gotten to know one another when he had vanished from her world. Again they had just become acquainted when she was forced from his side. Why where they always forced together as strangers?

“My apologies for failing you.”

Had she heard that correctly? Words whimpered with such pain that they were barely audible. Turning, her silver eyes met anguished amber. Had he truly been pained on her behalf? Cared so much about her that it hurt him to have left her alone all these years.

“That was my order was it not. Come, let us join the others.” She grinned as much as her bruised face would let her. Time had torn them apart and only time would heal their wounds. Tossing him the keys to the bike she began the short walk to the bike. Her eyes danced with happiness when a strong arm draped over her soldier and he hugged her as they walked. They had learned to love each other before. This time would be no different.

X-X-X-X-X

Last chapter to follow.