InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Changing History ( Chapter 45 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: I'm back again! Thanks for waiting so patiently. Angel-up-above-heaven, Catlover260, mysteriousmoon30, la623, GrammyInuLvr, Kmoaton, little25victor, amiegirl17, and Bluemoon4526 wonderful reviews as always.

Kokoronagomu – Excellent work!



Changing History


“That's him!” Kagome whispered excitedly as she peered through the thick white mane that concealed her on Inuyasha's back. They had traveled all night to reach behind enemy lines. They had skirted around the island and approached from the rear. The last hour had seen them searching for the commander that Sesshoumaru had indicated would be their best target. He held no regard for the shogun leader, calling him weak and useless. Matsudaira Nobutsuna had recently replaced the former first commander after the failure at Hara's Castle. Though the taiyoukai thought him a less than impressive figure, Kagome could tell by his actions that he was an intelligent and formidable opponent by human standards.

“You sure about that?” Inuyasha watched Matsudaira carefully, unsure of how the man could be the one they were searching for. Overall his stature was small and unimposing. At first glance there was nothing exceptional about the man.

“Nobutsuna's court title after this rebellion becomes 'Izu the Wise'. The man is highly intelligent Inuyasha. Sesshoumaru made a fine choice in who we should approach. Nobutsuna may originally be responsible for ending the rebellion but I'm sure with a little push we could change the ending slightly and spare some lives.” Kagome slid from Inuyasha's back to stretch after the grueling trip. She watched as the enemy prepared for another assault on the rebels. It would be awhile before a second attack was launched. The wounded were just now being brought back into the camp and the able were just finishing their meal before they would gather their weapons.

“Over there,” Inuyasha pointed to a secluded area of the camp, “must be Nobutsuna's private quarters. I think we should make ourselves comfortable inside and wait for him to come to us. No sense going through all those men to get him.”

Kagome smiled in agreement with her hanyou. Time had changed him. The younger man she had known would have done just that. Drawn his sword and pushed recklessly through the crowds to reach their target. Inuyasha had grown and matured, making him a much wiser opponent himself. She could see the subtle influence of Sesshoumaru in him now, though she doubted he would appreciate the likeness.

“Come on wench, no time like the present. Let's go. He'll likely be retiring soon.” Taking his miko by the hand he led her through the shadows, obscuring her safely in the darkness until they were at the rear of the makeshift quarters. Inside he placed Kagome behind him while he kept a careful eye on the entrance. His ear twitched rapidly, taking in the sounds of the camp all around him. This was the last place he wanted his mate to be, the middle of the enemies domain. But if he didn't bring her here himself he was positive that his passionately reckless Kagome would have snuck away to get here. Better he be with her than have her running around the country unprotected.

“Hey Inuyasha?” Her soft voice behind him made his ears swivel around towards her. His eyes remained fixed on the door. “How do you think the other's are faring?”

He remained quiet for the moment pretending to listen to an unknown sound. When he had left Kagome high on the hill away from the battle he had witnessed her friend fall outside the walls of the fortress. Upon arriving within the fort he had met Sesshoumaru carrying the bloody body of the unconscious nephilim tenderly in his arms. The young rebel leader had been haphazardly strewn over his shoulder. The boy was quickly spirited away by the healers in the rebel camp and his wounds tended. He was groaning and protesting loudly but Inuyasha could tell the wounds were superficial and that Shiro would be ready to battle in little time. Misery however was a different story. The young woman had been drenched in blood, the scent heady and reminiscent of human soldiers. As far as he could tell she had only taken a light blow to the shoulder. What concerned him was the fact that such a minuscule wound could make her suffer so. She had remained unconscious the entire time he had conversed with his brother. After gathering the information that Kagome required, he had watched clouds materialize beneath the feet of Sesshoumaru and the pair lifted off, vanishing into the black curtain of night. The taiyoukai would certainly be battling time to reach the Bone Eater's well before the life slipped from his precious mate.

“Fine.” Inuyasha answered after a moment of silence. Now was not the time to worry Kagome with the unknown fate of her good friend. She needed to focus on her task at hand. Any false move in this terrain could prove fatal for her.

“I hope that we can convince Nobutsuna the advantages of keeping the rebels alive rather than dead.” Kagome rested her head on Inuyasha's back, her arms lovingly circling his waist. She smiled when strong arms moved over her two linked hands, his own offering a strong squeeze of reassurance.

“You will Kagome. If anyone can sway his opinion, its you.” With that he felt her snuggle closer and soon her soft breathing signaled her light slumber. Inuyasha didn't mind. Better her to be rested before she take on this Nobutsuna the Wise.

X-X-X-X-X
The wind whistled by his ears, cold moist air forming ice on his face and hair. He would not slow though. Her failing body was wrapped warmly in his mokomoko, her breath becoming shallower with each minute that passed. Failure was not an option. He would reach their destination before the last breath flowed from her lungs. Nothing could stand between him and that well, could break his desire to see her live nor sever the bond that had formed between them. Nothing could end his love for her.

Time might separate them. Keep her from his arms for years. He would suffer the solitude knowing that one day she would again light his existence. Shining brightly into his very soul and filling his heart with this intoxicating warmth. Only he could ensure that she was there for him on that fated day they would meet again. This Sesshoumaru was the only one qualified to be her mate. Despite her attempts to distance herself, she was his alone.

With a mighty growl he pushed himself harder, speeding towards Inuyasha's forest and on to the well. The string of her life was growing shorter. Forward he flew with no thoughts other than of her.

X-X-X-X-X

She awoke to the tensing back muscles of Inuyasha. Her eye's snapped open and intently she listened to the sounds around her. Someone had arrived and she was placing her bet on it being Nobutsuna. Her hands moved from Inuyasha's waist to his shoulders. Quietly she pushed herself upright on her knees so she could peer over his head at their guest. There was no mistaking it. Matsudaira Nobutsuna had come to rest in a simple chair behind the makeshift desk. Quickly he was absorbed in his tactical planning as the commander slumped over maps and reports. She waited patiently as Inuyasha inched around behind the man. Sword drawn he brought Tetsusaiga up, the tip pressing against the throat of the unsuspecting first commander of the daimyo's forces.

“Keep your mouth shut and I have no reason to kill you.” Inuyasha's gruff command was growled eerily in the dark. He kept his form hidden from the man, planning on using his youkai features to his advantage if there was a need for them later on.

Nobutsuna obeyed as he was in no hurry to end his life. No doubt this was a well planned ploy of the rebels. He was surprised when a beautiful young maiden emerged from the shadows. Her sweet and shy smile set him at ease.

“My sincerest apologies Nobutsuna-sama. I'm afraid this was the only way I could get you to grant me an audience. I'm sure that your troops would not have let us pass through their ranks so easily.” Kagome knelt on the ground, bowing in a great show of respect. Returning to an upright position she nodded at Inuyasha and he reluctantly lowered Tetsusaiga.

“I see. No doubt you are rebel sympathizers.” Nobutsuna raised a hand to caress the indent in his skin left by the sharp point of the sword.

“I am Higurashi Kagome.” She offered.

“A Shinto miko? Odd that you would align yourself with Christian supporters.” The girl was certainly odd. She appeared as a miko but there was something otherworldly about her. Her eyes were mysterious and he suddenly found himself wanting to learn more about the beauteous maiden.

“Miko yes. I care not what religion one practices. I value human life.” Boldly she returned his stare, catching him slightly off guard. He dropped his eyes to his papers once again.

“So you are here to plea for the rebels and their supporters. Surely you understand our position and the orders that I am under. The rebels must fall.” He continued to map out an alternate route to the Shimabara fortress. This woman was out of her league. A futile attempt to requisition his favor and in all a waste of both their time.

“I agree.” Her simple statement made his head rise sharply from his work. Agree? Shouldn't the woman by crying and bagging for him to leave the poor people of this island alone.

“Agree that the rebels need to be brought to terms?” He inquired. This miko was an interesting girl.

“Nobutsuna-sama, I am not so ignorant as to assume that the daimyo could let such a rebellion go unchecked. I am merely here to offer a different solution to the problem.” This was it! Her one chance to sway the favor of the first commander controlling the entire push against the rebels.

“Continue Miko, I am listening.” This was something unheard of. A miko breaking into the private quarters of a chief commander to offer tactical advice? His interest had been piqued and he waited anxiously to see what the girl had in mind.

“It is a well known fact that this is far from a simple rebellious uprising. The continuous construction projects of Matsukura Shigemasa place a great tax burden on the residents of these lands. That coupled with his strict persecution of Christianity has lead to great unrest within the masses. Shigemasa-sama has in essence created a very precarious position for himself. Tell me Nobutsuna-sama, do you really think that by slaughtering the rebels the daimyo will solve all of his problems?” Kagome paused to allow the commander to consider her question.

“Observant young girl you are.” Nobutsuna could not disagree with her. Even after the rebels were brought down the daimyo would still face much unrest in his lands. Perhaps even more than before. He was one to believe that simply oppressing ones' problems was not always the best solution.

“The most successful leaders are those that have the support of their people. Shigemasa-sama is currently not a very popular ruler. What will happen when the rebels are dispassionately slaughtered as if they were nothing more than cattle? The rebels are not all samurai and recruited men may I remind you. Behind the walls at Shimabara are a great number of woman and children. Does Shigemasa-sama wish to go down in history as a murderer of children?” Kagome again paused, carefully guaging the expressions of her audience. Nobutsuna seemed to be considering her words.

“What then do you propose?”

“I think that it would be most unwise for Shigemasa-sama to dispose of the rebels. In doing so he will only further the tension and unease amongst the peasants in the land. Martyrs are also an unwelcome addition to the mix.”

Nobutsuna held up a hand to interrupt her. Kagome tensed at the sour look that had crossed his face.
He frowned as he addressed her. “I thought you agreed with the fact that the rebels can not be allowed to continue?”“I do! The daimyo's best option is one that gives him a more favorable appearance in the eyes of his subjects while he proves his authority is one that must not be reckoned with. The rebels are no match for the army you command. I strongly suggest however that you reconsider killing them off. Would not the people of this area find the daimyo most benevolent if he spared their lives. Spare their lives but restrict and eliminate their religion. Put money back into the land through the shrines and temples and in the reach of the poverty stricken people. This solves the religious rebellion and the discontented subjects. Happy peasants are also more productive which in turns means more money in the coffers of the daimyo.” Kagome smiled brightly at the commander hoping her message came across loud and clear.

“You may have something there. Not an unwise strategy at all. The only problem with your thinking is the rebels. What do you propose we do with them?”

Kagome began to worry her lip. In her urgency to meet with the commander she hadn't thought that far. Her face scrunched in concentration as she tried to figure out a plausible placement for Shiro and the others.

“I see that you have no solution. I'm sorry miko, without a plan for the rebels I cannot possibly implement your idea.” Nobutsuna began, he felt slightly disheartened that he would not be able to aid this charismatic woman. He shuddered when the sword tip was again placed at his throat and an audible growl vibrated behind him. What manner of creature had this innocent girl brought with her?

“Are you familiar with the Lord of the Western Lands?” Inuyasha snarled at the shaking form before him?

“You are referring to the youkai leader are you not?” Nobutsuna replied carefully. Fear griped inside as he realized just what was at the other end of the sword. A miko traveling with a youkai? Peculiar indeed.

“Tell your baka leader that the rebels, once defeated will be requisitioned by the Lord as slaves. The last bunch he had were rather fun. Their functionality has worn off though and because of that he now has room to take the rebels and their families.” Inuyasha knew that Sesshoumaru would not be pleased with his plan but he would handle the taiyoukai later. What mattered now was fulfilling Kagome's desires. She could return to her own time safely, without fear of what would become of Shiro and his followers.

“Is that not a death sentence for the rebels?” The first commander could not understand what the miko hoped to accomplish by handing the humans over to a youkai stronghold. The taiyoukai of the west was the most feared legend in all Japan. Though the youkai had not been seen in some time, he would not tempt fate by assuming that the greatest of such creatures did not still exist.

“Perhaps, perhaps not. Their lives would certainly be lengthened and the daimyo would have what he desired. True power over these lands with subjects who willingly support him.” She would say no more and pray to the Kami that he accepted this wild idea. Inuyasha's quick thinking had given the rebels and out. Kagome also somewhat agreed with Nobutsuna though, Sesshoumaru was not going to be happy to have twenty thousand plus new additions to his lands.

“Very well, I will write a request to the daimyo and send my fastest messenger. It is ultimately his decision as to the fate of your precious rebels.” The commander withdrew a clean paper from his desk and began the tedious task of penning the letter to his leader.

“We will wait for a response before we take our leave.” Inuyasha growled again though this time he sheathed his sword and stepped into the light. Standing by Kagome he offered her a hand. Ignoring the sharp intake of breath from the commander when his form was fully illuminated he pulled his mate up and secured her at his side.

Recovering from his first look at his captor, Nobutsuna began to understand the connection between miko and youkai. His decision to not call out to his guards to seize the girl had been very wise. The miko appeared to have strong ties to the house of the western Lord and that was one force he did not wish to make an enemy of. Returning to his letter he added an addition to Kagome's idea, stressing the importance of an alliance with the taiyoukai and his followers. Sealing the scroll he stood slowly.

“Please take to the shadows once more. I will call for my messenger.” When his two visitors were hidden once again he shouted out to one of the guards. Shortly an energetic man entered and was giving strict instructions to relay the message to the daimyo with great haste. Silently the man departed, heading swiftly toward the docks.

“How long until you get a reply?” Inuyasha startled the commander as he reemerged from the darkened corners of the room.

“Not long. Unknown to your rebels, the daimyo has been watching the affair from the safety of the Dutch trading vessel the farthest on the sea. Shigemasa-sama traveled down on Nicolas Koekebakker's merchant ship after we had all the troops in place. The answer should arrive before the rising of the next moon. Dawn will be on us soon.”

X-X-X-X-X

The rising sun crested the hills and glowed in shades of red and orange. A vast display of colour and light bursting through the darkness and warming the air around him. He was close. Close was not good enough though. She was weakening and he worried that if he didn't get her there immediately she would perish in his arms. With a final burst he began to descend, landing in the quiet clearing that held the portal he so desperately required. Approaching the well he began to gently unwrap the fur from around Misery. Her skin was almost translucent, breath barely escaping from her blue lips.

Sesshoumaru growled at his own helplessness. She was so fragile, delicate beyond that of the sakura blossoms that would soon be blooming upon the branches high above. This was it though, the moment of their separation. Pulling her closely he placed the most loving of kisses on her cold lips. Pulling a simple note he had composed for her earlier, he tucked the parchment under the folds of her cloak, securing it under the tight bodice she wore. Since she was unable to hear him now, words would be pointless. Silently he vowed to return to her as he lowered her gently to the bottom of the well. Jumping back out, he watched in amazement as the well flared with blue light and quickly his love vanished in a mystical display of orbs.

Over. His brief involvement with Misery was over. Beginning immediately was a painful lesson in patience as he began to count down the days until her fiery attitude would clash with his own once again. Panicking, he stopped his slow steps. When was that day? In their haste to find out what the explosion was he had failed to find out when he could begin searching for her.

“Damn it!” He cursed loudly, startling the birds from the trees. In an uncharacteristic show of anger he ruthlessly slashed at the trees. How could he have forgotten such an important question. Then it hit him. The miko! She would surely know.

With renewed hope the taiyoukai began back in the direction of the Shimabara peninsula.

X-X-X-X-X

Nobutsuna watched the unusual pair as together they joined in the evening meal. He was feeling uneasy as the messenger had still not returned with a reply from the daimyo. What would become of him if his leader refused the request? Worse yet, what would the youkai do to him if the response was a negative one? Taking another bite of rice he nearly choked when the door was slammed open and the breathless messenger presented him with a scroll.

“Very good!” He commended the messenger, waiting until he was alone with his guests before he opened it. Impassively he read its contents, careful not to show emotion in the case that it was not what he wished to read.

“Well old man! What's it say?!” Inuyasha demanded, hand again bracing on the hilt of Tetsusaiga.

Nobutsuna looked up from the scroll before giving his audience a slight smile and nodding. “The miko's request has been accepted by the daimyo. He looks forward to forging an alliance with the Lord of the Western Lands.”

Kagome beamed brightly and threw herself at Inuyasha. Embracing him tightly she wept silent tears of joy. She had done it. Misery would be so proud of her. She had saved a great many lives today and ensured that the outcome would still remain mostly the same. History would state that the rebels would be defeated, a ban on Christianity would still occur and Japan would close itself off to the rest of the world. The only small difference is that rather than succumb to death, the rebels would be relocated to the west. Shiro would not lose his head as a symbol of the daimyo's power.

“Kagome?” Inuyasha whispered, caught off guard by the girl suddenly clinging to him.

“I'm just so relieved! We should get back to the fort.” Kagome turned to address the enemie's first commander. “Arigato Nobutsuna! You truly are a courageous and wise leader.”

Nobutsuna merely nodded his head in acceptance of her praise. “You realize Higurashi-san, the final battle is still to come. Lives will be lost.”

“I understand. My goal was to spare as many as possible. I know what wars produce and that there will still be many casualties before this is over. I am glad though that the children will be spared. A small change in their fate was all I was hoping for. I am eternally grateful that you granted us an audience.” Kagome smiled again as she bowed respectfully. With the sun falling below the horizon, Inuyasha hoisted her onto his back and vanished without another word to the commander.

Nobutsuna had to chuckle once they were gone. Had he truly had any option but to grant her an audience? The youkai had made a persuasive argument without uttering one word. He smiled as he rubbed the invisible wound on his neck where the blade had pressed so menacingly one night before. What a brave girl to go behind enemy lines to save a group who defied even her own beliefs. This Higurashi Kagome was the most unusual miko he had ever met and the most entertaining. Unfortunately he hadn't the time to dwell on the girl. He had a final assault to prepare for.

X-X-X-X-X

“Shiro isn't going to be happy if I tell him what we have arranged.” Kagome mused as they made their way back to the fortress.

“Don't tell him then.” Inuyasha replied matter-of-factly. No sense blowing their hard-won plans for nothing. Shiro would be grateful when the lives of his followers were spared. That was good enough for him.

“I guess. So what do we do now?” Kagome was certain that she wouldn't be able to stand idly by while the battle was going on.

“That's up to you.” He came to a stop on the hill looking over the Shimabara fort. Gently he lowered his mate to the ground before sitting against the strong base of a tree.

Kagome stood for a long while, silently watching the busy milling of people below her. A prickling on her senses warned her of an approaching youki. As it came closer she felt the familiarity of it and turned to face the direction of its descent. The bright white clothing was the first signal of his arrival. The miko raised her hand in greeting as the tall form of Sesshoumaru crested the hill near them. Inuyasha merely twitched his ears in response, neither standing nor turning to face his brother.

“Welcome back.” Kagome smiled cheerfully as she took a seat beside Inuyasha.

“I must speak with you miko.” Sesshoumaru stated, remaining standing as he came to a halt at the small gathering.

“And I you Sesshoumaru-sama.” Kagome feared the response the taiyoukai would have when he learned of their agreement with the daimyo.

Kagome winced when the first explosion sounded below them. Her control would be greatly tested as she was forced to not involve herself. In an attempt to regain her composure she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Not racing to their rescue Kagome?” Sesshoumaru quirked and eyebrow as he settled on the ground.

“About that,” Kagome worried her lip as she decided how she would word her response, “I, umm...”

“We cut a deal Sesshoumaru. Misery wanted the rebels to be spared so Kagome and I went to see Nobutsuna. He agreed to give you the rebels after they are defeated. Misery gets what she wants, Kagome fulfills her promise and you get some more workers for your fields. Gotta problem with it.” Inuyasha blurted out, pulling the nervous miko to his side.

Sesshoumaru contemplated the turn of events and strangely found he had no objection to the matter. If Misery wished for the rebels to be spared then he would gladly take them in. Besides, the rebels had a great number of decent men who would make fine additions to his lands. “No problem.”

Kagome's eyes widened in shock. Sesshoumaru hadn't so much as even batted an eye at the news. Warily she watched him expecting a poisoned claw to lash out at Inuyasha and herself. No attack came.

“Kagome what year do you come from?” The Lord asked suddenly.

“What?” She had been caught off guard by the question.

“The year in which you come from.” Sesshoumaru rephrased.

“Oh! Sorry. When we left to come here it was late fall in the year 2008 of the European calendar. I guess you are wondering when you can look for Misery right?” She pitied the great creature that sat before her. Sesshoumaru had spent so long thinking himself impervious to others; a man of such greatness that he needed no one. Suddenly he finds himself attached to someone only to have her taken away in what would seem like a blink of an eye in his eternal existence. “Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha has been there. When the time comes he will be able to guide you to us. Hold onto the memory of her. Before you know it that day will come. I promise you she will be waiting.”

Suddenly it dawned on her that she had one thing that could aid him through the passage of time. Rummaging in one of the leather pouches on her side, she pulled out the small photo album she had brought with her. Selecting two of the best pictures of Misery she passed the precious photographs to the Lord. Not letting the moment pass she pulled out a pair of herself and gave them to Inuyasha.

“These should help keep the memories fresh!” She grinned cheerfully despite the ache in her heart. Space and time would separate them but now she hoped the distance would seem less.

Sesshoumaru regarded the misty eyes of the miko before tucking his lifeline safely inside his kimono. Standing he silently walked to the cliff overlooking the sea. He would wait. His eyes watched the battle below but they were unseeing of the sights below. All he saw was auburn hair, silver sparkles and soft pouting lips. He felt consumed by a memory and a dream that would take years to realize. Gently he rubbed the spot on his chest that housed his newest treasure. Even as he was unsure of how the image of his mate had come to be engraved on a thin sheet of paper he vowed that no other eyes would behold his most prized possession. She was meant for his eyes only. He had no words to thank the miko for such a gift. Beneath the thin folds of fabric lay the one thing that would keep her image from fading from his mind.

Kagome observed the taiyoukai with veiled eyes. Inuyasha would look much the same in a few days. She worried her lip as the life seemed to drain from Sesshoumaru before her very eyes. He looked lost, isolated in a world with little hope of salvation. Could he endure the separation from Misery? Would Inuyasha survive without her? Her soul felt dark and troubled, just as it had when her family had been riped from her life. She had condemned them all by insisting on returning to the past. When she could not take Sesshoumaru's pained and lifeless expression any more she closed her eyes tightly and tried to block out the whole world.

Below the roar of battle raged on amplified in her mind by her fears and anxiety. Reacting to the screams of the soldiers she pushed her hands against her ears in an attempt to silence their cries. It was too much. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest, increasing its speed with each thundering explosion that shook the earth. So many were dying and she was powerless to stop it. Her reiki pushed violently inside trying to take control and aid the people. The struggle within was pushing the miko to her limits. She felt Inuyasha's arm embrace her, her eyes saw his lips moving but all she could hear was death and destruction. When her heart could take no more of others' suffering she was consumed by blackness, slipping out of consciousness and into the welcoming bliss of nothingness.

X-X-X-X-X

Cool wisps of wind tickled her skin, blowing thin strands of hair teasingly across her face. Misery twitched her nose trying to ease the itch that had taken up residence. She tried unsuccessfully to stifle a yawn as she stretched her tired limps. Her body was sore, every limb aching as she willed herself to wake. Sitting up she found herself at the bottom of a damp and dark well. Confused she pulled herself up and came face to face with soft chocolate eyes.

“Who the hell...” Her voice trailed off when she finally recognized the young man who was staring at her. “Souta?”

“You're Kagome's friend right?” The miko's brother grinned as he offered her a hand out of the well.

“Yeah.” This wasn't right. Her eyes trailed back to the well when they had reached the top of the stairs. When Souta opened the door wider, pale streams of sunlight glinted into the shack, illuminating the wooden edges of the well. Her mind slowly cleared and her memories hit her all at once. The battle, Shiro falling and finally the warmth of Sesshoumaru's mokomoko. Her heart sank. She was back in Tokyo; alone once again in a world she loathed. Damn that man for sending her back. Damn Kagome for making her leave. Damn herself for being such an idiot.

“Are you alright Misery-sama?” The boy's voice brought her from her thoughts. Nodding she wiped the evidence of her frustration from her eyes and followed without a word behind the boy. Why did she of all people have had to fall in love? She had been much better without all the feelings and emotions of a pitiful woman.

“Misery dear.” Mrs. Higurashi smiled as she watched the young woman enter her family home.

“Hello.” Misery tried to smile but gave up after one attempt. She wasn't in the mood for pleasantries and chit chat.

“I have something for you dear.” The kindly woman disappeared into the next room only to reappear with a small bundle tucked neatly under her arm.

Misery eyed the package before unwrapping it slowly. Inside was a letter, money and a set of keys. Quickly unfolding the paper she had to choke back a sob when she saw who it was from.

“A friend of yours came by to see you after Kagome and you left. It was strange that I couldn't recall anything before you left but as soon as I saw that blue light from the well, I remembered everything. Inuyasha, the sacred jewel and Kagome's many trips through time. Strange though, I still don't remember the Shikon no Tama returning with Kagome like the two of you told me.” The miko's mother rattled on aimlessly as she tidied up her house. Though she wished to discuss many things with Misery, it was not a conversation her young son needed to hear. She continued her act as a ignorant house wife. “Then the young man came to find you. Charming gentleman. I told him that Kagome and you were away on business. He simply wrote out that note and left the money and keys. I hope it makes sense?”

“Perfectly.” Misery looked up only half listening to the idle words of the elder woman. “Did you keep my clothes?” She glanced back at the short letter in her hand. Shippo had came through for her again. He had tracked her down at the research facility and followed the trail here. The note was simply an address and the keys would likely get her in. Leave it to Shippo to grant her sanctuary. The kitsune had been faithfully keeping her safe for years and today was no different.

“Of course, follow me.” Mrs. Higurashi had been paying close attention to the young woman the moment she had arrived. Her clothes were bloody and torn but no wound was apparent beneath the thin fabric. Giving up her flippant act she had put on in the kitchen, she ascended the stairs and her conversation sobered. “Tell me how you fare?”
“Fine.” Misery ignored the caring tone of the other woman as she followed as if in a daze.

“Mmm. I see. What of Kagome?” Mrs. Higurashi gently opened the door to Kagome's old room and searched through the closet for the nephilim's items.

“I would think she won't be long in following me. A day, week maybe. No more than a month.” Misery methodically rifled through her bag, pulling out a bulky sweater and full ankle length skirt. Not even bothering to remove her clothes she shrugged the sweater on and stepped into the skirt. A quick check in the mirror confirmed all she really cared about. The bulk of her cloths hid the weapons and warrior fashion she had adorned as of late.

“Child, you cannot hold on to such a burden all by yourself.” Soft, warm eyes locked with silver as Mrs. Higurashi placed an hand on Misery's shoulder. The woman recognized the forlorn look of loss in the younger's eyes. A look she had worn when her husband had left her so early in life with two young children. A hopelessness that festered within and threatened to kill the light of her soul. Kagome's friend radiated a sense of loss through her unusual eyes.

Misery contemplated the strange statement from her friend's mother. No answer came to mind, she could only nod in acknowledgment that she was listening. As if sensing her discomfort, the kindly mother left the room, vanishing down the stairs. Moments passed as Misery stared at her own reflection in the mirror. Dark circles had formed under her eyes. How long had she lay at the bottom of the well while her oni blood had recovered and regenerated her body? How much time had passed since she had been in his arms? Sighing she hauled her bag over her shoulder and headed back to the kitchen.

Entering the small room she found Mrs. Higurashi hanging up the phone, a smile still engraved on her kind face.

“I've called a cab for you dear. Go home and get some much needed rest.” Kagome's mother handed her a small piece of paper. “Our number in case you need anything.”

“Thank you for everything.” Misery needed the solitude, the comfort of a hot bath and a glass of wine. Still uncomfortable in being in a room with people she hardly knew she made a hasty retreat. Soon she found herself in the backseat of a cab. The lights and buildings of Tokyo flashing past her. Luckily the day had faded and rush hour did not hinder her trip. Twenty minutes later she was entering the luxurious condo facility that matched the address Shippo had wrtten for her.

Ten floors up she exited the elevator feeling more tired and dirty than she had in a long time. The key slipped easily into the lock and once inside she flipped on the lights and took a short tour. Shippo had more expensive tastes than her. The condo was vast and spacious. The kitchen boasted the latest stainless steel models with rich granite counter tops. The gas fireplace in the living area glowed softly at the flip of a switch, adding warm and serenity to the already inviting décor.

Spotting a paper on the counter as she passed, she read it over quickly. Shippo was away on business and wouldn't return for another week or two. Pinning the note with his number on the fridge she continued on her way. Misery quickly glanced at the French doors that lead out onto a balcony before she turned down the hall.

Two rooms split off and she assumed the one full of boxes was hers. A closer inspection confirmed her suspicions. Shippo had taken the initiative and had all her possessions from the island shipped to his home. It looked like she was here to stay for awhile. Not that she minded. It was nice to know that she didn't have to do anything, just relax and heal. Leaving her belongings in boxes she found her way to the large bathroom.

With the water steaming she began the laborious task of shedding her clothing. The process seemed more difficult with her muscles screaming at every twist and turn as she unbuckled her fastenings. Tired as she was she almost missed the tiny bundle that fell from her clothing as she undid the last of the closures. Tentative fingers wrapped around the paper and carefully unfolded it.

Her voice caught in her throat as a sob broke free. Shaking hands clutched at the note that had been tenderly penned for her.

“I will find you. You are mine for all eternity.” Her voice wavered as she read the words aloud. Gently she placed the note on the vanity and sunk into the steamy depths of the tub. Unable to hold it back any longer she gave into the tears that she had fought so long. He would wait for her. Even though she had abandoned him, he waited. The water was icy cold by the time she had the energy to crawl out. Wrapped in a thick towel, she again held Sesshoumaru's note tightly to her chest. With her room in such a state of disarray she snuggled deeply into covers of Shippo's bed and cried herself asleep.

Outside, obscured in the darkness of the alley, two figures watched as the lights in the kitsune's apartment went out. Silently they faded further into the blackness, unseen and unheard as they made their evening report.

“She matches the description perfectly.” A distant feminine voice whispered to her partner.

“That she does. He will be most pleased that she has finally made an appearance. We had best get back to headquarters.” The spy's white smile shimmered in the soft glow of the streetlights as he led the way from the alley. Flipping open his slim phone he dialed a familiar number.

“It's beginning.” He reported briefly before slamming the phone shut and climbing into the passenger seat of the sleek car his partner had started. They had been scouting the area for days searching for any trace of the mysterious nephilim. At long last their long hours and hard work was finally paying off.

X-X-X-X-X

Kagome's head hurt as she cracked her eyes open in the bright morning light. Squinting she tried to make out her location. Above her birds tittered and chattered in the shifting bare boughs of the trees. It felt like spring. The sunshine was warm and vibrant.

“Bout time you woke up.” A gruff voice rumbled behind her.

“Inuyasha?” She mumbled, wiping the sleep from her eyes. “Where are we?”
“Close to the well.” The reply was laced with anxiety and grief. It was too soon. How could she be at the well? The sounds of canons and soldiers still echoed in her ears.

“What do you mean?” She struggled to right her self and was grateful for assistance when Inuyasha's strong hand grasped her elbow.

“You lost consciousness at the fort. I thought that it was best that we return here. Sesshoumaru is taking care of rebels. The battle likely ended a day ago.”

“A day ago? How long was I out for?” Kagome was baffled. How could she have collapsed for so long?”
“A couple of days.” He looked so crushed. Her heart sunk when he barely made eye contact with her, preferring the solace of the ground and wind around him.

“You want me to go home don't you.” Tears brimmed on her eyes. Her time to leave had finally come.

“I don't want you to Kagome, I just don't want you to get hurt staying here. I'm not looking forward to spending so long without you. I worry that I'll forget your face, the scent of your skin or your smile. Kami Kagome, I don't want this at all.” Embracing her tightly he buried his face in her neck and breathed deeply. Thousands of nights would pass before he could inhale her calming scent. Lightly he brushed his lips over her neck. He would savor her taste for as long as he could.

Kagome whimpered as he held her tightly. The aching sense of helplessness and despair was growing within her with each caress of his tender lips. This was the worst form of torture she could imagine. Sentencing her lover to years of abstinence and solitude for the sake of her own selfishness. She should have let him go when she came here. Let him follow his own destiny, not chain him to hers. Unfortunately she couldn't stay to comfort him. Could not hold him in her arms tonight nor for the cold and endless nights that would come.

“I'm so sorry.” Whispering into his chest she shook with sudden frustration at the predicament she found herself in.

The miko startled when a long, clawed finger caught her chin and forced her face up. “No Kagome. You have nothing to be sorry for. I am thankful that you came into my life. I wouldn't have had it any other way.”

Braving a smile she reluctantly followed him as he led her down a narrow path and into the opening that held the bone eaters well. So many times before they had parted here. This would be the last though. When they reached the lip of the well Inuyasha drew her in tightly and pressed a passionate kiss to her waiting lips.

“No more tears Kagome. I will see you very soon. It will be years for me but hopefully only moments for you.” Fighting with his own desire to keep her at his side he swept her off her feet and dropped her unceremoniously into the well. He watched as her her shocked eyes faded into the blue haze of the well.

And so it began, his struggle with time as he waited for the moment of their triumphant reunion.

X-X-X-X-X

The empty rooms of the condo ate at her sanity. Days she had spent wallowing in despair behind these walls of her self imposed sanctuary. In an attempt to rid herself of the loneliness that was growing she found herself pulling on a pair of tight leather pants and white tank top. Her signature knee high biker boots where soon strapped to her feet with her blades safely sheathed.

She couldn't place her finger on it but the urge to go out was so strong that she couldn't ignore it. A calling deep within that was trying to tell her something. When she was digging for her leather jacket she came across a box intricately carved and likely housing her most important treasures. Opening it she found the pieces she had designed for Miroku, Sango and Inuyasha. Lovingly she caressed the metal. Sango's shoulder harness was in the bottom and it was almost as it was calling out to her; urging her to wear it. Shrugging into the holster harness she snapped the taijiya's guns into place. Inuyasha's larger gun was soon on her hip and Miroku's staff hooked on the other side. Strangely just having something that had belonged to her friends on her person made her feel much more at ease.

The pressing feeling in her chest did not abate as she made her way to the underground parkade of the condo. She had snagged Shippo's keys to his favorite street bike. They jingled merrily in her hands, echoing off the silent walls of the garage. Throwing a long leg over the shiny black bike, she forced the helmet over her braided hair and tightened the strap. Excitement flowed through her veins when she revved the engine and raced out onto the busy streets of Tokyo. The lights of the city flashed by her, reflecting off the shinny metal of the racing bike she straddled.

This was the most she had felt alive in a long time. Clutching she pushed the bike into its top gear and sped into the night anxious to rid herself of the eerie feeling deep within her soul. Urging her bike gently off the the main road, she slowed as she approached an area she knew well. The brakes squealed slightly and the engine purred as she pulled into a dimly lit parking lot. Killing the engine, she unfastened the helmet and left it hanging on the handle bars.

The moon shone brightly as she made her way down the isolated shoreline, her eyes taking in the beauty of the massive bridge to her left and the stars that filled the night sky. She had almost made it to her favorite relaxation spot when a familiar tingling alerted her. So this is what it had come to in her altered reality.

“My my, what a pretty sight. I hadn't expected this when I was out for a casual stroll.” The menacing voice rumbled behind her. She wouldn't falter though. Strangely, she felt calm and collected as she turned and smiled at her unwelcome guest.

“Good evening Cernonnus.” Her smile grew when she saw the uncertainty in his eyes. Apparently he had been expecting the old Misery. The scared and terrified woman he had created. She had beat him before and she would do it again. This time he did not have the power of the jewel at his side.

“Change your mind about my offer?” He snickered as his eyes roamed lazily over her tightly leather clad body.

“I'm afraid not. In fact I have a better offer. You can leave,” she began to allow her body to harness its powers. She relished the moment her eyes flooded silver and for the first time in her life Cernonnus took a step away from her.

“Or you can die!” Her battle cry rang as she unsheathed her blades and launched her attack. Tonight she would face her own demons and conquer her own battles. Tonight she would do what she should have so long ago. Her freedom sang in the tips of her blades as they clashed with those of her nemesis. An ending of an era began under the eyes of Tokyo's midnight moon.