InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Daimyo ( Chapter 44 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Well I felt really guilty for taking so long with the last chapter so I buckled down and wrote another installment. Thank you for being so patient with me!

Shout out to my wonderful readers and reviewers. Thank you angel-up-above-heaven, Ryo5402, Catlover260, psycho chick 32, mysterious moon30, GrammyInuLvr, kmoaton, bluemoon4526, catbaker, SistersGrimm, and little25victor.

As always a big thank you to my beta, Kokoronagomu!

Daimyo

The air around her crackled with tension; it was like being inside a giant vice and each passing minute served to tighten it one more notch. This was worse than fever and chills combined. She felt his harsh eyes boring holes into her head. The only relief Misery had was that her stressed body was finally kicking into recovery mode. The human illness she had experienced was quickly being purged from her system with her advanced oni blood. It seemed that continually pushing herself to exhaustion had limited the recuperative abilities that she had long taken for granted. Going so long without rest and sleep had rendered her no more than a mortal woman. How could one sleep though when such a menacing creature was constantly on their heels? She chanced a look towards the corner and found that the stoic youkai remained seated against the far wall, his eyes fixed upon her form. Quickly she averted her gaze and focused again on herself; anything was better than playing victim to the tension in the air. Now that Kagome had tended to her and she was attempting to rest, every cell was being brought back up to working on full capacity. Despite the improvement on her health, her mood had failed to follow suit.

Yes her person was on the mend but unfortunately she was preparing to break her own heart for the sake of the tall and ferocious man staring at her. This was really it. The end. Tonight she had to ensure that he would not follow her or look for her once she left for the well. If it took him hating her then she would ensure that he did. How else did one guarantee that he remained separated from her younger self? She would rather have him hate her for all eternity than be the one responsible for ruining his life from this point on. Besides that, it would be easier to let him go with him glaring daggers than to see him crushed and devastated at their loss. Yes, this would be easier. If he never loved her he couldn't suffer the pain and anguish of their separation. This burden she would carry alone. Kagome and Inuyasha may have developed an unbreakable bond that could stand the test of time but Misery wasn't about to be disillusioned by pretty words and the innocence of young love.

“You look better.” His calm words startled her from her troubled thoughts. Turning she met the same fierce eyes that had been scrutinizing her for the last few hours.

“I'm getting there.” She whispered. Trying to bolster her courage and transform her heart into nothing but a cold and hard shell, she again looked away. It was difficult to want to make him hate her when she gazed at his handsome features.

“Do you truly fear me so that you would lock yourself away in the freezing cold? As cruel and harsh as my reputation claims, I find it hard to believe that I would ever treat my own mate so badly as to make her fear me. Not now, nor in the future.” His character might be cold and he may be deadly, however Sesshoumaru was honourable to the core. It bothered him greatly that his own mate avoided him at all costs. Had he done her wrong in the future? Hurt her either physically or mentally? Why did she strive to put so much distance between them. Kagome had most certainly come to the past to be once again reunited with her mate one would think Misery had done the same. True, he had overreacted when he had first encountered her and likely scared her half to death, but he had apologized for that. Beyond hiding from him, it was obvious to him that she was hiding something. Whether it was pure instinct telling him to care for his mate or that he had plain and simply come to care for the perplexing creature beside him, he wished for change. Feeling her in his arms earlier had been a taste of heaven and he did not wish to be denied much longer. Sesshoumaru had witnessed the brilliance of her smile when she was alone with the miko or that damnable human rebel. Just once he wanted to be the one to make her smile.

Damn, how should she reply to that? It crushed her to think he felt responsible for her behaviour. Even keeping her distance she had affected him in some way. She was beginning to think that she should have never ventured into the past. Never toyed with history and never longed to be reunited with the man she loved. It was her own fault that she was in this position. Sighing she decided to skirt the question and get straight to the problem at hand.

“That doesn't matter. I am leaving in the morning.” She put on her bravest face and looked him square in the eye. A mistake for she did not expect the piercing pain that shot through her heart when his normally emotionless face fogged with confusion and his amber eyes bled with hurt.

“Explain yourself!” Recovering from his initial shock Sesshoumaru struggled to wrap his mind around her sudden announcement. What had caused her to come to such a decision?

“No.” She mouthed hoarsely, her own voice betraying her emotions. While she was concentrating on keeping her tears at bay she missed the silent movement of the youkai in the room. Instantly a strong arm was braced around her and she was pulled back into the warm body of Sesshoumaru. His arms came to lock around her, restrain her and preventing any escape.

“Why?” He breathed against her ear. Praying to the kami that his anxious heart would slow, Sesshoumaru breathed in her intoxicating scent in an effort to calm the beast within. After finally coming to grips with the fact that she was his, she was going to vanish through that well? He'd be damn if he would loose her so soon.

“Don't!” She whispered back, cursing her treacherous body for its compulsive reaction to his heat. Her walls came crumbling down around her. Without thinking her own hands reached up to rest upon his sinewy forearms. “You're making this harder than it needs to be.”

“I won't let you go. You are mine. Mine to protect and mine to cherish.” Sesshoumaru nearly came undone when he felt her hands grasp onto his arms and she relaxed against him. After such a blissful moment he knew he could not give her up.

“You should have just stayed away. Should have let me keep me distance. Why did you have to be so damn persistent?” She whimpered, hot tears landing upon his arms. There was no way this would be easy now.

“I could not. Your scent foretold of our connection. One breath of it and I knew that I could never leave you alone. Why do you feel you must run?” He urged with a gentle whisper. Loosening his grip he adjusted her so that he cradled her in his lap. With one hand now free he gently wiped away the tears that trailed down her cheeks. What torment had she experienced in her life? Staring into her misty silver eyes he became aware of such suffering. In an uncharacteristic moment, and perhaps unknown to Misery herself, she had offered him a rare glimpse into her true self.

“I'm not running. I have to return to the modern world. You do believe Kagome when she says that we are not from this time don't you?” He acknowledged her question with a quiet nod of his head. “I'm sick Sesshoumaru. I can't stay here much longer.”

“Can not a healer see to your illness? Did you not say earlier that you were recovering? I will aid you.” His words were cut off when Misery brought a slender hand up and placed a slim finger on his lips. Her eyes filled with such sadness that he wished to hold her tightly until the sparkle returned to them once more.

“No Sesshy, no healer can fix me here. I was never meant to travel back in time. If I don't return to the well soon I will disappear forever. I fear I may perish should I remain. You must understand that I never wished for your pain. I apologize if I have caused you distress.” What else could she say? Sorry just didn't seem like enough.

“Why is it that Kagome has no problem returning to the past? Why are you alone affected?” This was too much. His mate was obviously still hiding an important piece to this puzzle and he would not give in until there was nothing but complete honesty between them.

“Can I trust you Sesshoumaru? Really trust you?” Silver eyes pleaded, her angelic face appearing so innocent and childlike in that moment.

So lost in that expression of innocence, the taiyoukai could do no more but lower his head to hers and capture her lips with his own. A soft and slow kiss that was meant to express just how loyal he would be to her. Willing his message to come across loud and clear he raised his head and stared into her eyes. “You may trust me with your very life.”

“What I will reveal to you and what I will ask of you, may very well mean my life.” Pausing she drew a long and ragged breath. Pulling herself up from his arms she swiveled to straddle him. Aware of his smoldering eyes she placed a small hand over his heart and used her other to pull his larger one to cover her own heart. “I am asking you to forget of my existence for the next few centuries.”

“Never!” Impudent wench! How dare she suggest such a ludicrous idea.

“You must. Our future depends on this. The reason I am deteriorating is that I already exist here. Right now I wander the earth on foreign soil.” Misery watched as the rage dissipated from his body and he contemplated her with inquisitive eyes.

“A younger self?” Now he was beginning to understand the complexity of her situation. Two of the same thread of life could not burn the candle at both ends. Realization of her dilemma only caused the ache in his heart to grow. He would be forced to give her up to time in an effort to protect her very life. His punishment for loving was to spend centuries unable to reach out to the one soul meant to be joined with his. Unable to shelter a woman he needed until hundreds of years in the future. The pain he had seen in her eyes was no current wound. That thought troubled him deeply. “You suffer greatly in your past don't you?”

“Aye” Misery grasped his hand that still covered her heart. Could he know this and still refrain from racing off to save her.

“I am to let you down that well and ignore the fact that somewhere out there you are in pain? Let you leave and be forced to wait idly for time to pass. Never see you, touch you or breath you in?” He growled, claws digging slightly into the thick yukata covering Misery's chest. He felt her hands tighten around his own. He knew that this was just as difficult for her. Her trembling lip and quivering body spoke in ways her words never could. His battle was already lost. Time had won before the conflict ever began. “You survived though. A fighter. I will have to lay my faith in that. Tell me the day I may see you again and for that day I will wait.”

Misery's face lit up and with a squeal of happiness she launched herself around his neck. Kagome had been right all along. He would wait for her even though she was being so cruel by leaving him. She squeezed tighter, burying her face under his hair when she felt his arms weave around her back.

Sesshoumaru delighted in the first real contact initiated by his mate. Her breath on his neck was rapidly flooding his body with warmth. So much that he could feel the beast within rising to the occasion, his irises were likely red rimmed already. He was about to lower her back down to the sleep mat when a loud explosion vibrated the very walls around them.

“What the hell!” Misery cursed as she regained her senses. What was going on outside? The scattered shouts of the people were filtering into their cozy retreat. Another loud explosion rocked the room, obviously the blast was closer than the last. Catching movement out of the corner of her eye she turned to find Sesshoumaru hastily pulling his armour back on. Not to be left behind she began stripping out of the layers of cloth and collecting her own familiar outfit.

“What are you doing?” Sesshoumaru growled as he watched her bare the creamy expanse of her back. He was going to kill whoever interrupted them! All he wanted to do was help her finish the task she was consumed by and pin her to the mattress. What a time for a disturbance outside to distract him from the matters at hand.

“What does it look like? I'm changing.”Saucily she looked over her shoulder to give him a quick wink. She giggled when she saw the heated look in his eyes. Her mood much lighter she slowed her show, shimming her hips seductively she let the final thin yukata fall to the ground. Keeping her eyes on the burning amber orbs fixated on her, she slid one knee high boot on and laced it tight. The other follow suit but before she could pull her tight fighting dress over her head the taiyoukai was on her. Warm flesh contacted the cold and hard armour that covered his chest. She shivered as his hands wrapped securely on each side of her hip and pulled her tighter against him.

“You are playing with fire.” He whispered. He thought for sure the skittish woman would have a change of heart and pull away terrified. She shocked him by standing on her tiptoes and gifted him a hot and fiery kiss.

A noisy burst from a canon erupted outside and moments later the inside of the fort took a direct hit. The vibration knocking the pair to the ground. Misery recovered quickly pushing herself up and finishing dressing with remarkable speed. With her blades safely secured she turned her attention back to Sesshoumaru. He had cracked open the door and his burning eyes followed her as she collected the last few weapons and wrapped her cloak around her shoulders. Smiling at him she walked out into the crisp night air. “I guess you'll just have to cool down.”

“Hn.” He groaned before donning his emotionless mask and making his way towards the crowd. His hand had latched onto her wrist as she had passed through the door and now he basically dragged her into the courtyard.

Misery scanned the crowd and was quick to find Kagome and a much more intimidating looking Inuyasha. It was obvious to her that the pair had combined reiki and youki, joining themselves once again. Approaching the pair Missy pulled Kagome into a tight hug, smiling mischievously despite the grim situation around her. Laughing she patted Inuyasha on the back. “Jumped her eh? You dirty dog you!”

“Missy!” Kagome blushed furiously at the nephilim's bold announcement in front of the crowd.

“Effects were a lot quicker this time huh. Inuyasha's obviously already turned full blood.” Misery ignored the embarrassed protests of the miko beside her. Turning to Sesshoumaru she noticed he was scrutinizing his half brother. “I'll explain later Sesshy.”

“What is going on? Those ships Shiro wanted to contact are firing upon us?” Kagome worried her lip as they all turned their focus on the water.

“Kagome-sama, Misery-sama we are under fire!” Shiro's frantic voice called out from a distance. The youth rapidly approached with his most trusted men at his heels.

“Feh! No shit!” Inuyasha grumbled sarcastically.

“Misery-sama. I had hoped to reach you sooner. One of my scouts had spotted the Dutch trading ships of the coast. I had thought to persuade you to talk to them about an alliance. It seems I am too late.” Shiro's eyes focused on the slightly lit ships that floated closer and closer to shore. The first few blasts seemed to be warning shots for now the Dutch remained quiet.

“Shiro, it wouldn't have mattered if I had negotiated with them. They don't give a damn about you or these people. All they want is trading rights with Japan. You don't have enough money to buy them off. It would have been futile.” Misery placed her hand upon Shiro's shoulder and squeezed slightly in reassurance. Ignoring the growl from the youkai behind her she focused her attention back on the miko. “What are your thoughts Kags?”
“I'm not sure but look over there.” A bad feeling had caused the miko to retrain her attention. Kagome had scanned down the shoreline while everyone else had been focused on the ships. She could just make out the odd sparkle on the hills to the south. “Inuyasha can you see anything down there?”

“Camp fires.” Sesshoumaru interrupted. “Inuyasha, can you see what I can?”

“Feh. Looks like we have company.” Inuyasha narrowed his eyes at what he could detect. Thousands of the daimyo's soldiers lined the southern hills, quietly advancing on the makeshift fortress under the rebel's command.

“This can't be happening! This isn't suppose to happen yet. History states the final battle isn't until April!” Kagome stuttered trying to comprehend the situation. It wasn't making any sense though. Then it hit her. “The fire storm!”

“What?” Inuyasha and Shiro questioned simultaneously. It was Misery however that Kagome turned to.

“The fireworks display at the Shimabara castle!” She quickly jabbered trying to make the nephilim understand. Everything was rolling in her mind and she struggled to get the words out in a understandable way.

“You mean me torching the entire joint?” Misery questioned looking a little perplexed.

“Yes!”

“What of it?”
“That likely was the catalyst. That wasn't suppose to happen but it did. Having Shimabara Castle obliterated by your flames probably pushed them into acting sooner. Oh Kami! This is the beginning.” Kagome looked at her friend with fear filled eyes suddenly remembering their need to return Misery to modern Japan. “How are we going to get you out?”

“What! You still talkin' nonsense woman! I'm not leaving you here now!” Misery screamed at the miko.

“Like hell you're staying!” Kagome vented back, angered at the defiant nature of her friend. She had felt so relieved at the idea of having Missy safely back in Tokyo.

“Looks like old spoiled rich dude or whoever the daimyo is, has made a change in our plans.” Misery grinned thinking the plan was now easily defeated.

“I'll take her.” Sesshoumaru came to stand beside Kagome and the pair making an intimidating point. Misery glared back not wanting to retreat on the little ground she had recovered.

“Misery-sama, you are leaving?” Shiro frowned at this new information. Why did it seem like he was always the last to know? Soft silver eyes fell on his own and he was suddenly very worried at the loss of the enigmatic woman. At first he had been enamored with her but over time she had taken on role of family; a sister he had never had. Why did she wish to leave now when he needed her the most? The prophecy had foretold of the aid of two angels. His self confidence in his situation dropped dramatically when those eyes misted. It most be true if his question troubled her so.

“I'm sorry Shiro. I should have warned you earlier. I'm not doing so well. Kags wants to send me home to recuperate.” Misery left out the part that she wouldn't be returning. No use adding to the kid's stress level when the most influential and important battle of his life was about to get under way.

“Misery-sama is not well?”

“It's a long story kid. Forget about it and lets focus on the game plan.” Misery grabbed him by the arm and began dragging him up a set of stairs that would give them a better view of their enemy.

“Missy! You're avoiding the discussion!” Kagome stomped her foot in frustration at her friend that was doing her best to ignore the seriousness of her own situation.

“Sorry Kags! Can't hear you up here!”

“Damn irritating baka!” The miko barked back before taking off after the retreating forms of Misery and Shiro.

Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru were left listening to the crude cursing from both girls as they scaled the rough steps of the retaining wall. Inuyasha was about to chase after his miko when Sesshoumaru's deadly hand pulled on his shoulder.

“Brother. You have changed.” Narrowed eyes carefully scrutinized the form of the hanyou. The taiyoukai was not sure how it had been achieved but it was very clear to him that Inuyasha now bore an aura very similar to his own. Not to mention that the younger youkai was now taller and had visible facial markings. The only thing that remained the same was his trademark ears.

“I was a little surprised myself. Kagome combined her reiki with my youki and within the hour I began to change. What are your thoughts Sesshoumaru?” Inuyasha glared at his brother uncertain of the reaction the youkai would have. Would this change in him shatter the fragile relationship that had developed between them? Would Sesshoumaru despise a half breed that had found a way to become a pure blood?

“It is of little consequence Inuyasha. I am more curious what you know about Misery. Has the miko told you anything about her health?” Sesshoumaru shrugged of the obvious meaning behind Inuyasha's last question as he pried for information. He need the facts on his mate before he mulled over the implications of Inuyasha's change. Misery was more important.

“She needs to go back Sesshoumaru. Whether she likes it or not, she can't stay here and survive.” Inuyasha began. He was about to expand on that when Sesshoumaru suddenly dropped his hand and moved silently towards where the others had taken up lookout.

For a long moment Inuyasha contemplated the unusual circumstances surrounding the nephilim and Sesshoumaru. Kagome had warned that he would be responsible for insuring that the Lord did not seek Misery out in the years to come until the fated day when they would be reunited. It now seemed most important that he focus on forging a stronger bond with his elder brother. They would both be needing support in the long separation from their mates. Though not impossible, it was well known that youkai found it difficult to be parted from their significant other's for long periods of times. Would they be able to handle the distance of time itself?

His triangle ears swiveled on his head and he caught a strange whistling sound coming from the ocean. He didn't have time to get out a warning before the projectile smashed through a nearby wall sending shrapnel flying through the air. The explosion was deafening. Disoriented from the blast he tried to get his bearings. Frantically searching for Kagome who had been close to the section of wall that was now blown out. The scent of blood reached his nose and when the smoke cleared he could see the ground around the impact site was littered with the broken bodies of the rebels. The increased sensitivity of his senses was hard to deal with. The combination of scents and sounds was making his head reel.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome's voice called out over the chaos that was unfolding around him. The rebels had jumped into action clearing debris and pulling survivors out of the ruble. He was still slightly disorientated when her voice reached his ringing ears.

“Kagome?” His eyes fixed upon the form above on the wall. She looked terrified. Mentally willing himself to take control of his new found abilities he pushed himself into action. Ignoring the almost deafening screams around him he made his way to his mate.

“Are you alright?” Kagome rushed to his side when he finally reached the top. Distraught her hands smoothed over his arms and chest, searching for any wounds inflicted in the blast. Her world had gone black when the canon ball had burst through the wall beside her; showering rock and wood in the very place she had last seen Inuyasha. Her heart had threatened to burst through her chest while she waited anxiously for the dust to settle. She couldn't bear to think that the reason Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru were not in the future was because they had perished in this battle. For the first time she feared the possibility of the the brothers not reaching the twenty-first century.

“I'm fine koishii.” His words brought tears to her eyes and without hesitation she embraced him.

“Promise me you'll make it Inuyasha. Promise me you survive.” Kagome's wept silent tears as she fretted over their future.

“Kagome?” He asked again, unsure of her emotional state and strange question.

“I'm afraid. You weren't in the future at all. I don't want to lose you.” She wept.

“I promise Kagome. I'll meet you there no matter what.” Though the words came out easily, Inuyasha was beginning to feel unsettled about his ability to fulfill the pledge he had just made. The fact that Kagome was suddenly so concerned did not ease the tension he felt. Her worry was only aiding to escalate his fear. Human weapons were becoming more sophisticated as was their tactical planning. Never in his trips to her time had he sensed regular youkai. The only ones he had encountered had been the dried ones she had accidentally brought back with her and the mask embedded with a jewel shard that had awakened. Why were there no youkai in the future? Could it be that they simply remained hidden, refusing to live among humans or was there more to it than that? He suddenly wished he had discussed the issue with Kagome when he had first noticed the absence of youkai so many years ago.

“Advancing army from the south Inuyasha. We need to leave this place at once.” Sesshoumaru approached the embracing pair. Calmly ordering a retreat in order to keep their mates safe.

“Leave? I'm not leaving these people to fight alone!” Kagome interrupted glaring at the taiyoukai.

“We do not meddle in the affairs of humans. That is something you need to learn as a youkai mate.” Sesshoumaru countered. His brother's woman was far too reckless for her own good. Youkai had a code and they most certain did not waste their time in such trifling matters.

“Perhaps you don't but we do.” The hard tone of the nephilim behind him made them all turn. “You should leave now Sesshoumaru if you do not wish to lower your precious standards.”

The fiery red head ignored the death glare of the eldest youkai. Her attention quickly changed to Shiro. “Rally the men kid. Get a group focused on reinforcing that wall. The daiymo's troops are approaching from the south. Send some of the archers to position themselves upon the high ridge just above us. Tell them to wrap their arrow tips with cloth and dip them in oil. When the enemy is close they will lite the arrows and fire them into the first line. That should give us some time to prepare our remaining men for attack.”

“Misery, you are leaving now!” Sesshoumaru's menacing growl made the onlookers fall back in fear. This was ridiculous. This female thought to defy him in front of his own pack. Then she intends to prepare for war? Was she out of her mind? He was surprised when she turned to face him, her eyes flooded an eerie silver. This was not the formerly fevered seductress he had witnessed moments before. His eyes widened a notch when she straighted herself and moved past him in defiance. A battle hardened warrior had seemingly taken over his fragile flower.

“Shut it Sesshy I don't have time for your pissing games of territorial dominance. Kagome, can you focus on setting up a barrier. I suspect another attack from the ships shortly. They are trying to create panic amongst the rebels and distract from the soldiers slinking up along the shore. We can't afford another hole in these walls.” She headed for the steps and began bounding down them, Shiro at her heals.

“Right! I'm on it Misery!” Kagome ushered herself out of the arms of her hanyou and focused on her main goal. She too ignored the protests of her mate as she tuned everything out and brought forth the reiki inside. Her vision changed as burgundy began to swirl in her eyes. Raising her arms at her sides she called forth her full strength and was excited when it rushed forth with more intensity than ever before. It seemed that the second union with Inuyasha had boosted her powers even more. The barrier would be a breeze to erect and maintain. Drawing a knife from beneath the folds of her cloak she walked to the far edge of the wall and placed it securely into the wood. Using the trick she had learned from Miroku, she would use this object as an anchor for her barrier. Racing down the wall and steps she hurried across the fort to the opposite side. Climbing the other wall she inserted another knife. Channeling her energy she linked the knives to the barrier. A shimmering wall of burgundy materialized between the fort and the sea. With it held in place by two of her personal possessions she could leave it and not have to worry about it failing while she continued with her own plans. Her motives were far different than Misery's but it was not yet time to unveil them.

Kagome was halfway across the courtyard when the Dutch merchant ships launched another attack. This would be the first test. The projectiles were easily stopped by her immense barrier, falling harmlessly into the sea. A cheer rose up from the rebels inside the fort and she was soon met by her fallen angel and the young charismatic leader. This time it was Shiro who took center stage using a powerful and poetic speech to raise moral and fervor amongst his men.

“Tonight our final day of judgment begins. It was foretold by the Saint Sir Francis Xavier that the Fourth Son of heaven was destined to lead Japan into the light of Christianity. I stand before you as the Fourth Son. Our faith has spread across these lands and we have been blessed by God himself. Now those who accompany me in being besieged in this castle, will be my friends unto the next world. Do not fear death! For in death we spread the message of our Lord and will be welcome at the gates of his heaven.” Shiro quieted as the war cries and praise broke out around him. When the crowds settled he turned his attention to Kagome and Misery, pulling them up to stand beside him.

“The prophecy also stated that I would be aided by beings from the heavens. These two have come from the sky above to guarantee our success. We have seen the power and beauty of our winged angel and now Kagome has shown her divine abilities. Secure your faith men! For we shall not fall!” He raised his hand in triumph and again the crowd erupted in screams and cheers.

Shiro was still surrounded by his most faithful of followers when the two youkai pushed their way through the crowd and dragged the girls off to the side. Both women found themselves strategically cornered by the irate males.

“What the hell do you think you're doing Kagome?” Inuyasha bellowed, still shook by the sight of Kagome surrounded by swirling reiki.

It was Misery who stood up first, glaring at first Inuyasha and then her own mate. “Obviously we are lending a hand. Now you two can either help or you can get the hell out of our way!”

Kagome reached out to put a restraining hand on her friend's shoulder. Her head dropped in silent defeat allowing her long hair to fall in a curtain around her face. Since the first impact of the Dutch's canon's, she had been desperately searching for the answers to her own fate. Why was she here? What was her purpose and most importantly her role in this battle in history? Evidently they had already left an irreversible impact on the Shimabara Rebellion, jump starting it months early. The Shimabara castle had been burnt to a crisp rather than being left very much in tact as her texts had described. It seemed clear to her that should the four of them band together to aid the rebels then the final outcome would be very different. She hated the decision she had come to but she knew it was what they needed to do.

“Misery, I think that you should leave now. Sesshoumaru can guide you out the back and get you to the well. You're body may have temporarily healed itself but I know it can't take the stress of a battle.” Her voice was quiet but steady.

“I can't leave! We are helping them through this!” Misery protested.

“We cannot get involved in their battle anymore than we already have. Misery, what happens when they win this battle? Do you honestly think that they can take on the Emperor himself? There is no way that this rebellion will make it all the way across Japan. Them winning this battle will only result in further bloodshed and suffering for the people in these districts. I'm afraid that we have to let them lose.”

“You can't be serious! You talk about not getting involved yet you willingly erected a barrier! Don't be so hypocritical. You must be delirious if you think I'm just going watch these people get slaughtered!” Misery was beyond pissed off. She slammed her fist into the wall behind them as she tried to come to grips with the sudden change in Kagome's attitude.

“I can't deny the barrier. I'm still a Shinto miko Misery. I can't allow a senseless death either. We need to get the women and children to safety first and give the rebels a fair fight against the daimyo's army. Any farther than that though, we remain neutral.” Kagome watched as Misery slammed another fist into the wall and began to storm off. Sesshoumaru reached out an arm to stop her but the nephilim skillfully dodge it.

“Fuck you all!” Kagome flinched at the angry words cursed from the fleeing red head. She rushed to stop Sesshoumaru before he chased after her.

“Give her a few moments Sesshoumaru. She needs to cool down. We still have time before the soldiers are upon the fort. Inuyasha, please help take the women and children to a safer location.” Kagome did not wait for a reply as she made her way to the terrified group at the back of the fortress. Her heart was breaking for her friend but no matter how personal her feelings became she had to look at the bigger picture. It was her hope that perhaps she could negotiate for the rebels' lives after they had been defeated. History would remain stating that the rebellion was quelled and Japan thrust into tighter national seclusion and a strict ban on Christianity was enforced. This was all she could hope for.

Gathering the women and children she led the trek up the side hill to take the group of hundreds deeper inland. When Inuyasha met her at the top she paused to momentarily seek out her friend. Misery was standing defiantly at Shiro's side. Kagome knew that Sesshoumaru would have to forcibly remove the girl from rebel leader's side. For the moment though Sesshoumaru, despite his evil reputation, was herding the tail end of the group up the slope. It surprised her that the taiyoukai was following her advice and giving his mate some space.

“Kagome,” Inuyasha pulled her off the side as the group continued to weave their way farther from the battle site, “are you sure that you're alright with just watching?” The girl he had known before could never have done something like this.

“I don't like it Inuyasha, but I know it's the right thing to do. What do you think will happen if they succeeded against this small army? Who would come after them next? The Emperor would not show mercy to them. I am hoping to negotiate with the enemy to spare their lives. I don't know how I'm going to do it, I just know that it has to be this way. Too many factors are dependent upon this battle. More than I realized.” It was true. Should this rebellion be successful she couldn't guarantee that national seclusion would be the molding policy that it had been in her history. The trade ports could possibly expand rather than closing, causing foreign influence to have a much greater impact on the development of Japan. That meant that the repercussions could very well be felt around the world. No, it was imperative that Shiro fail. Her duty was to ensure that his failure did not result in the deaths of tens of thousands of men, women and children.

“So now we wait I suppose.” Inuyasha wrapped his arm around Kagome. He could tell she was struggling with her decision but he understood her logic. Kagome knew more about the future than he did and he was certain that she had come to the right conclusion.

“Lets make sure that the women make it to the safety point. We can see them from that hill over there.” Kagome was too lost in her own worries to notice the archers already had launched a first assault of flaming arrows into the advancing army.

“Kami. It's starting Kagome. I'm getting you out of here!” Inuyasha ignored her squeal as he threw her over his shoulder and bounded off to the nearby woods. Secured in the high branches of a strong beech his eyes scanned the coastline. Fire burned brightly in front of the walls of the fortress and so far the rebells were holding back the invading forces. Rather impressively in fact. It appeared that the men under the kid's command were far more capable than he would have given them credit for.

“What's happening?” Kagome voiced; her eyes could not compete with the advanced eyesight of her hanyou.

“They're holding them back surprisingly.”

“Not really, my texts said that they held out for weeks against the shogunate. How do I save them Inuyasha?” That question plagued her thoughts.

“I don't know. Tell me you won't act like that crazy friend of yours and go tramping off into danger without telling your mate.” His worst fear was losing her in the crowd and not being there for her when she needed him the most. The shouts below only added to his unease. He didn't like to think of her bloody corpse fallen amongst the masses of soldiers. It was far too conceivable with the chaos that was playing out beneath the cliffs.

“Where's Sesshoumaru and Misery?”

“Good question.” Hard amber eyes narrowed as he studied the forms below. It took a moment but he soon found his brother beyond the fortress boundaries, engaging in swordplay with the shogun's samurai. Scanning ahead he found the source of his brother's involvement. Misery was fighting like a hell cat; at her feet lay a wounded Shiro. “Baka kid.”
“What?” Kagome suddenly sat up, pushing against the strong arms of Inuyasha. “What do you mean baka kid?”

“Shiro breeched the safety of the fortress. Misery followed and Sesshoumaru is retrieving them.” He felt the shudder rip through Kagome's small frame. “He'll get them both out of there just fine. A few samurai are no match for him. Don't worry Koishii.”

Kagome had no doubt that Sesshoumaru would keep Misery safe. Waiting was not something she was comfortable with though. Still she was troubled with how she would accomplish the salvation of so many. Who was the leader that was the most influential? Which commander would be willing to hear her pleas and negotiate favorable terms for the rebels? Surely not the daimyo himself, his reputation had been burned and he wanted blood. Someone else would have to be convinced that symbolism of living and beaten rebels was more powerful to the masses than the obliteration of Christian martyrs. That was the person she needed to seek out.

“Inuyasha, I can't stand to sit here and watch. As soon as Sesshoumaru has those two back to safety we move. He can take Misery back to the well and we need to find someone I can influence on the other side. I'll wait here while you inform your brother about this.”

Inuyasha only nodded as he watch the taiyoukai mercilessly slice down a man who dare draw blood from the nephilim. He watched the girl fall beside the boy and held his breath. Two more of the enemy were laid to waste as Sesshoumaru reached her side. Seconds later his brother hauled the pair out of harms way and back over the safety of the fortress walls. He would not tell Kagome about what he had just witnessed. She need not worry about the other woman while she already had so much on her mind. He would do as she asked and meet Sesshoumaru alone. This way she would not see the torn and bloody bodies of her friends.

“They're back inside the walls. Wait here Kagome. I'll be back shortly.” Inuyasha placed a quick kiss on her soft lips before jumping to the ground below.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome called out. When he looked up at her, she gave him a thoughtful look. “Sesshoumaru, being the Lord of the western lands, is likely up to date on the military forces in the land. Ask him if he knows any man who would aid us.”

“As you wish.”

Staring into the blackness around her, she became mesmerized by the flickering flames in the distance. If Sesshoumaru could devise a list of potential objectives her job would be much easier. There had to be someone out there that would sympathize just enough to spare their lives. Someone who could see the value in winning the public over with compassion rather than curbing behaviour with fear. There had to be a way to put her plan into motion. She was staking the lives of thousands on nothing more than a feeling. A feeling she prayed would not lead to deadly consequences.