InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ Reacquainting ( Chapter 43 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
A/N: Sorry about the lengthy delay, life got in the way! Thanks so much for continuing to read. Thank you angel-up-above-heaven, CatLover260, loretta537, SistersGrimm, Bluemoon4526, Ladycash, Chanda, Grammyinulvr, mysteriousmoon30, la623, psycochick32 and kmoaton

Extra special thanks to Kokoronagomu for being my beta! Enjoy.



Reacquainting


“Kagome?” ; The tiny voice whispered from behind the thick door.

“What.” The annoyed response came rather loudly to the hiding nephilim.

“Is he still out there?”

“Yes.” Kagome rolled her eyes for what seemed like the millionth time that day. This was beginning to become quite ridiculous and was vastly hampering her own bonding with a certain hanyou. Misery had done nothing but slink around camp trying to avoid the taiyoukai who had the locals scrambling in every direction with his foul mood. Now the miko could understand her friend's reluctance but in all, her actions were only making the situation worse. In the beginning it had seemed like Sesshoumaru was actually enjoying the cat and mouse game they were playing but the novelty had long since worn off. Predatory eyes scanned the camp landing on where Kagome stood. She tried to suppress the shiver that raced up her spine, unfortunately the steal hard look won and her body shook on its own accord.

“Make him go away!” The voice hissed.

“He's spotted you again Miss. Get out here and deal with him. He's really creeping me out!” She hissed back, never taking her eyes off the approaching youkai. His presence was beyond daunting; it was just plain terrifying. “Ready or not Misery, here he comes.”

Without looking back she bolted, anxious to get away from confrontation sure to come. She heard the snarl that erupted behind her which served to spur her on faster. Rounding the corner she ran into a hard chest. With the wind knocked from her, she braced for impact with the ground only to be stopped by an arm wrapping around her waist. Staring back at her wide eyes were the warm amber orbs of her love.

“In a hurry?” He chuckled, righting her gently while keeping his arm snuggly around her waist.

“Umm,” The moment was so intense. Why was she acting like a shy school girl around him when she had already been intimate with Inuyasha? She should be able to control her rapidly beating heart and her laboured breaths. Those eyes though; she lost all sense when they bore so deeply into her soul.

“Kagome?” Was she ill? Inuyasha scrutinized her features and soon was drowning in her blue eyes. His acute hearing picked up on her racing pulse and the quickening of her breaths. A spike in her scent made him growl lowly. Pulling her behind some tall ruble, he pushed her gently against a hidden wall. Her sweet arousal only continued to grow and without reservation he closed the distance, capturing her lips in a heated exchange.

Kagome delighted in the impromptu rendezvous in the midday sun. Never had she expected to run from Sesshoumaru only to fall into the strong arms of Inuyasha. Not that she minded of course. Heavenly. That was the only word that could describe it. If she could spend eternity like this she would, gladly. Arching her back she pressed herself tighter against him and giggled when he elicited a tiny groan in response. If they currently weren't surrounded by the bustling inhabitants of this seaside fortress she had the right mind to jump him then and there. Sighing she pushed him back gently, mindful of their settings.

“That was unexpected.” She smiled shyly at him; her hand reaching up to gently pull at the stray strands of his forelocks.

“Yeah well, you don't normally bump into me smelling like that.” He blushed but still did not budge. He liked the feeling of her lithe body pressed so intimately against his own. He was confident that no one was watching or even near at the moment so he was in no rush to give up the contact. Kagome was finally his. His to touch, his to hold, his to kiss and most importantly his to love. A life that had given so much to him was now at long last intertwining with his own. Two parts of a whole gently bonding into an artful masterpiece. His hand drifted up to lightly grasp the small hand that was playing with his hair. Sweeping the pad of his thumb over her dainty wrist he watched her face with curious eyes as he dipped his head and placed a chaste kiss over her pulse. Her eyes widened a fraction and her lips parted in a breathable sigh. Immediately he could detect the quickening of her heartbeat beneath his lips.

“Inuyasha, we should stop.” Kagome regretted the end to this session of passion but they could only tempt their good fortune for so long. Somebody was bound to walk in on them at some point and she wanted to make sure she was fully clothed when that happened. She batted apologetic baby blues at him and was rewarded with a playful smile.

“Feh. I would have noticed someone coming.” He spoke as if reading her mind.

“I'm not so sure Inuyasha. You kinda become, well how should I say it, consumed. I have my doubts that you would really care about harmless trespassers in the heat of the moment.” Kagome laughed when his face flooded crimson and he looked away from her, rather embarrassed at her bold statement. She often forgot how shy Inuyasha could be and she found the trait rather attractive.

“Feh. Whatever. Let's go then. Your friend likely needs rescuing by now.” Trying to hide his own embarrassment he put on his rough and tough facade. Kagome gave him a quizzical look moments before the booming curses of a irate angel bounced off the interior walls.

“I'm surprised he puts up with that.” Inuyasha's ears twitched as he remembered his brother's actions over the past few days. The odd behaviour Sesshoumaru was exhibiting was really unnerving. To him it was obvious that Misery wanted nothing to do with the elder youkai and yet each day his brother seemed more and more determined to bring her under his control. For once though he wasn't using brute force to bring his opponent to their knees. The whole experience of dealing with a woman must be a far cry from normal for him.

It was good to see Sesshoumaru involved with life again though. After Rin's death he had been lost in the cold and monotonous duties of leading the western lands. The warm and caring youkai she had brought forth reverted to silent and deadly upon her passing from the world. Sesshoumaru had showed up at his camp a few months before complaining about how boring his life at the palace had become. Though it had taken a while, Inuyasha had finally come to understand what his brother had meant. Sesshoumaru was finally dealing with the loss of his ward. Emotions that he had refused to acknowledge during her life had spent too long burning inside him so he had fled the Western Lands and the prying eyes of his court. His brother had fled to grieve. True, Rin had died decades before but the great taiyoukai was highly trained in his ability to block his emotions. It did not surprise Inuyasha that his brother had taken so long to crack.

Nights spent in the forest had often been interrupted with the crashing of trees. Inuyasha had watched with cautious eyes as Sesshoumaru decimated whole sections of forest without a single expression on his face. However remote and distant he appeared; Inuyasha could not be fooled. He had suffered enough loss in his own life and that enabled him to see the silent suffering that lay well disguised behind the cold facade.

“Inuyasha?” Kagome elbowed him as they continued across the courtyard. He looked down at her and it became apparent that she had been asking him a question.

“What?” He gave her an apologetic look. She smiled back in acceptance of his wandering mind.

“I asked you about the sword you have been wearing next to Tetsusaiga.”

“This one?” He pulled the daintier blade and sheath from his waistband. “This was Rin-chan's sword. Sesshoumaru commissioned Totosai to make it when she became a young woman.”

“Then why do you carry it? Shouldn't Sesshoumaru want it?” This perplexed the miko greatly. Why would Sesshoumaru leave such an important gift in the possession of his brother? She had thought that the young ward that followed him without hesitation had been of the greatest importance to the Lord.

“When Rin was on her deathbed she entrusted the sword to Shippo. They had become quite close by then. When the little runt decided to leave Japan he tried to give it back to Sesshoumaru but my baka brother wanted nothing to do with it. So Shippo left it with me to look after in his absence.” Inuyasha's eyes again strayed to his brother. He wished he had seen through the facade all those years before. They hadn't been the closest then but he might have been more careful about the words he had said. More sensitive perhaps of the pain Sesshoumaru had been experiencing.

“He misses her greatly doesn't he? Even after all these years he still mourns his loss.” Inuyasha turned wide eyes at his miko. She was lost in her own thought; misty compassionate eyes focused on the pristine figure in white. Kagome was absolutely amazing. It had taken him years to understand what lay in the depths of the icy heart hidden behind formidable walls inside the taiyoukai. Yet she saw everything in only moments.

“Hn.” He grunted in reply. That was the understatement of the century. Sesshoumaru was lost. Rin had added colour to his life and without her he was stumbling through life in utter darkness.

“Kagome-sama! Inuyasha-sama!” The enthusiastic greeting of the young rebel leader caught the couple's attention and they paused to wait for his arrival.

“Shiro-san!” Kagome giggled as the winded youth reached them. He still appeared as vibrant as ever despite the impending battle that they all knew was coming.

“Kagome-sama, have you by chance seen Misery-sama? I wish to speak with her. I wish to call a conference with all of you. Some interesting information has come to my attention.” The boy lost his youthful exuberance and became every bit the war hardened leader his people depended on.

“What information kid?” Inuyasha's own interest was piqued.

“Dutch trading vessels have been spotted by my lookouts. It is possible that they have not yet made an alliance with the daimyo. I was hoping that Misery-sama could assist me. At very least we could obtain useful information from speaking with them.” Shiro explained.

“What does Misery have to do with this?” Inuyasha inquired again.

“Misery is European. She speaks their language and would be easily trusted by them.” Kagome answered for Shiro, her heart racing as she thought about the implications. This could change everything. History would be rewritten if the Dutch sided with the rebels instead of the daimyo. “I don't think that is a good idea Shiro.”

“Kagome-sama, it is our best option at this point. I must at least give it a try. I won't give up so easily.” His hard eyes revealed his determination. His followers entrusted him with their lives and he believed that any risks far out weighed the benefits from this mission. Misery would no doubt agree and he had no worries about her not doing this for him. She believed in him and that was all he needed to know.

Kagome sighed but placed a comforting hand on Shiro's shoulder. History had already been changed and so she would place her faith in Midoriko. Surely the ancient miko had foresight that she could never obtain. “I understand Shiro. I am just worried about Misery, that's all.”

“I will protect her Kagome-sama. You don't need to worry about that. I was planning on accompanying her anyway.” He smiled bravely and straightened his spine in a small show of bravado.

“I know you will Shiro-san. Misery is very fortunate to have a friend such as yourself.” Kagome smiled grimly as the boy bounded off in search of the missing nephilim. What did their futures hold? How long did Misery and she have in the past before they where forced to return? Or would they be forced to remain in the past. Could her friend survive that long though. The nephilim had already exhibited signs of stress which Kagome was certain would only get worse from here on in. Soon it would be time for Misery to return to the future and leave everything she had gained in this time. That time would come far too soon, she worried.

X-X-X-X-X

Gray eyes peered through the cracks in the crudely formed door. Kagome was fleeing from her hideout but Misery could not see her current nemesis. Why was he making this so difficult? She needed to keep him at an arms length and he was doing everything to invade that space at every passing moment. Yelling at him hadn't worked nor had the great displays of dislike in public. So here she was resorting to her old habit of hiding. A role she found she was able to jump back into all too easily.

A surge in the air around her made her aware that her spot had been discovered. Unfortunately she had overlooked the fact that the room she currently was in only had one exit. An exit that was currently blocked by an irate male. The thick door that had been constructed from the hull of a ship now seemed very thin. To her surprise she heard Sesshoumaru knock. Her expectations had been revolving around the door being forced open and shattering into a million tiny pieces. A courteous knock was not what she had been anticipating. Still it was not going to work. She did not wish to be near him. For when he was near she forgot why she needed to keep her distance.

“Go away.” She mumbled, pushing back away from the door and huddling farther into the thin blanket that hid her in a dark corner. She was cold, tired and hadn't been feeling well all day. Why couldn't he just leave her alone?

No response came from outside. Many minutes passed and she finally let her tired eyes that had been riveted to the door close. It seemed that he had finally taken the hint and left her to her own devices. A smile curled on her lips at her small victory. Her smugness vanished when the door opened quietly flooding the room with light. Her eyes burned with the change in lighting and she had to clamp them tightly after only just reopening them. Her ears picked up the subtle creaking of hinges and the quiet click of the door. Again she was swallowed by the dark, her eyes fought to readjust to the black and looming space around her.

A warm hand suddenly pressed against her forehead, causing her to squeal in surprise. How had she not noticed him advancing upon her? Silver orbs finally picked up on the reflective white clothing Sesshoumaru was always wearing. His face seemed fuzzy for some reason and she narrowed her eyes to try and clear the image.

“You're fevered.” Sesshoumaru frowned at the burning flesh beneath his hand. He had finally found her after chasing for hours and admittedly had been rather angered. Arriving at the barrier of her hideout his anger vanished when he noticed the change in her scent. Misery was obviously sick and instinctively he wished to aid her. Not wishing her to bolt he took a cautious approach and gently knocked on her door. Patiently he waited for her acknowledgment though wasn't surprised when she answered so negatively. He was not one to be deterred so he had let himself in, melting the lock with a carefully placed poisoned claw. What he found inside the dark and damp hovel he did not like one bit. His mate's health was failing and here she was shivering in the cold, ignorant of her own body's distress.

“What?” Two Sesshoumaru's swarmed in her vision. What the hell was going on? What had he told her? She had felt fine earlier today, minus the headaches and slight nausea. It wasn't anything she hadn't handled before. Now though everything seemed off. Her vision blurred and his voice echoed in her ears. Come to think of it she had felt disorientated when she had moved from the door to the corner.

“Do you wish to get even worse?” He growled knowing that indeed she had been planning to hide in this tiny building just to stay away from him. To keep away from the one spot she belonged, at his side. Damn infernal woman. She was so aggravating. His eyes softened though when he gazed down at her. Now she appeared so fragile and in need of him. He pushed aside her damp bangs and trailed his finger down the side of her face.

“I thought I told you to go away.” Yes, she remembered now. She had been hiding and she had told him to go. Instead of listening to her he had barged in and started spouting nonsense. What new tactic was this? She wasn't sick!

Slapping his hand away she struggled to stand from her corner resting spot. No sooner was she righted when a wave of dizziness washed over her and she felt herself swaying. Desperately she reached out for something to steady herself but her hand only grasped air. Knees buckling she fell, giving in to the unconsciousness that called to her.

Sesshoumaru watched and waited for Misery to learn a harsh lesson about her own limits. He let her struggle to stand on fever weakened limbs; not offering her assistance because he knew she would arrogantly refuse anyway. His amber eyes stared intensely as she faltered once, twice and then crumpled after a noticeable wave of disorientation. When she fainted he moved quickly to wrap her securely in his arms. Ignoring the stares of the rebels, he carried her from the storage shed and quickly crossed the main yard of the fortress. Ascending the steps on the far side of the castle he soon was rounding the corner and entering the welcoming warmth of his quarters. The precious bundle in his arms began to stir as he placed her fevered body in the bed. His unusual journey must have sparked much talk amongst the rebels and word of Misery's predicament spread fast, for his sharp hearing alerted him that his brother and the miko were already approaching. No sooner had he settled her when the door again opened and Kagome pushed past him to Misery's side.

“Missy?” Her frantic voice filled the silence in the room. Kagome brushed aside the damp bangs of her friend. Lightly placing her hand on Misery's forehead she hissed when her fingers met burning flesh. “She's burning up!”

“I know.” Sesshoumaru leaned against the wall and glared at the miko. Did she not realize that he could take care of her? Misery was his mate after all, his to care for not hers.

“She's coming around!” Kagome squealed when her patients eyes fluttered once, then twice. Misery moaned before bringing a hand up to rub her head. When she began to struggle to sit up Kagome quickly grasped her arm and back, aiding the sick girl to an upright position.

“What the hell!” Missy grumbled still rubbing her head.

“You shouldn't be hiding all day in the cold.” An emotionless voice scolded her so Misery turned her head to stare down the offending voice.

“If someone left me alone I wouldn't have to!” She shunned him preferring to cross her arms and stare idly at the wall instead.

“Would you two mind leaving us for a few minutes? I would like some privacy to look at Misery.” Kagome stood and pleaded for the two youkai to leave. She needed some time to talk to her friend alone, away from the prying ears of the brothers. “Would you go and talk to Shiro for us? We need to know his plans for the next few stages. I would appreciate it if you could find a change of clothes for Misery too before you return. She is going to need to get out of these sweat soaked garments or her illness will get even worse.”

The pair merely gave her unappreciative looks for being creatively evicted from the room. Kagome kept up her sweet facade as she watched them from the doorway. When they were halfway across the fortress grounds her smile vanished only to be replaced by furrowed brows and a deep frown.

“You are going back Miss.” Her ultimatum rang fierce in the small room. This was something she was unwilling to budge on though. The stress of being in the past was becoming too much for her friend and Kagome was not willing to risk Misery's health and safety any longer. It was clear now that her body was beginning to fail and Kagome would not rest easy until Misery was once again in modern Japan.

“What! You can't just decide that! What about the rebellion, Shiro and everything else? You can't just send me home like a naughty school girl!” Misery complained furious that the miko would even think of such a thing. This was just a cold or something, nothing to be overly concerned about. She felt fine. Didn't she?

Kagome just shook her head as she turned to face the nephilim. Didn't she understand? Her very existence was in danger and she still wanted to remain? “You can argue until you are blue in the face Misery. My decision is final. You will return home. I can't bear the thought of losing you. I need you to return so that I don't have to worry about you. Don't worry about Shiro. I will stay and ensure his well being.”

So that was that. Her time here was drawing to an end. A sad smile played across Misery's tired features. Kagome was right. She had been denying the inevitable. Ignoring the signs that her body was weakening and that it would slowly fail. There was so much that she still wanted to do though. Shiro was precious to her and she had wished to help him succeed in his plight. Now she was being sentenced to vanish from his life. His sweet and innocent smile was something she would treasure for endless ages. An amazing mind for a child of fourteen; he had taught her so much about life. Shiro had given her a reason to let go of the past and finally begin living without so many regrets. She wasn't perfect but his influence had gone a long way to mending her very soul.

“How are you planning on making me go back?” She sighed leaning her head back against the wall and closing her eyes.

“Sesshoumaru.” Kagome's one word answer caused the nephilim's eyes to snap open. Kagome sat next to her disregarding the narrowed eyes glaring at her.

“You honestly think that he'll throw me down a well at your command. You must be delusional.” Misery snorted at the ludicrous words spewing from the miko's mouth. Sesshoumaru had made her his mission and though they had no special bond she couldn't see him skirting his responsibility so easily.

“I agree. You are going to have to tell him everything and make sure that he understands that he has to stay and not try to find you until sometime after you return. He can not find you until then Misery. You understand that right?” Kagome did not like the bleakness that crept into Misery's eyes.

“That's why I didn't want him near me. I've known all of that since we came here Kags. I didn't want to like him. I tried so very hard to stay clear in a pitiful attempt to not fall in love again.” Misery barely acknowledged the hand that suddenly grasped her own. She refused to acknowledge the tears that fell from Kagome's baby blues for fear she too would become lost in despair. “It would have been so much easier to pass through his life here with him being none the wiser. He would have had a much better life then.”
“Don't say things like that. You two were meant for each other. He is a better person because of you!” Kagome squeezed the nephilim's hand in reassurance.

“Kagome, because I came here I have sentenced him to centuries of loneliness. I will be asking him to stay clear of me some three hundred and seventy years. So many years of wondering where I am, who I am and what he is going to find when that fated day finally arrives. That's just plain cruel.” She huffed fighting against the tears that stung her eyes.

“You don't think I haven't thought about that as well? Misery, I will have to follow shortly after you. I can't stay in this time either. I will be asking Inuyasha to do the same. I ask because I love him and I know he will agree because he loves me. Love can transcend time Miss. That is why you can be strong and why Sesshoumaru will understand.” Kagome had fought her own demons over the same issue many times. She had faith that they would survive the test of time and finally be united so far in the distant future.

“I worry though Kagome. Inuyasha will only struggle through the twenty years from your birth to your reunion before meeting you again. Sesshoumaru will know that every day for the next few centuries that I am out there somewhere struggling to survive. Can he really restrain from finding me?” Nervously Misery troubled her lip.

“Inuyasha will help him Misery. I know you worry about Shippo too. Remember though that he never betrayed your wish to remain hidden in all those years so I wouldn't worry about him revealing your location at any time. This will work out. I promise.” Kagome shuffled closer to the distraught nephilim and wrapped her warmly in a comforting embrace. “Stay safe for me. I'll follow shortly behind you.”

Misery could only mumble an incoherent statement as she let her tears join Kagome's. The pair remained in the embracing drawing what strength they could from one another. A while later a knock was heard on the door and Kagome reluctantly crawled from the warmth of the sleeping mat to answer it. Red rimmed eyes met to sets of deep amber.

“Clothes. Help her change quickly miko.” Sesshoumaru thrust a bundle into Kagome's arms and pulled the door shut.

“Alrighty then.” Kagome mumbled under her breath, annoyed at his arrogant nature. Carefully she undid the fasteners on Misery's pagan warrior dress. The intricate fasteners made the process slow going but eventually Missy was shrugging out of the cold damp fabric and into the dry yukata Sesshoumaru had found. Kagome was happy to see a heavier kimono in the bundle and soon had Misery snuggly wrapped in the multiple layers. Two heavy blankets were at the bottom of the package so she pulled them out and changed the bedding on the mat. When Miss was comfortable, Kagome rose and made her way to the door.

Pausing at the threshold Kagome remained with her back turned to the other girl. “You know what you have to do.” She didn't bother to wait for a response and opened the door, vanishing behind the thick shoulders of the taiyoukai.

X-X-X-X-X

“I don't want to be alone tonight.” The words suddenly burst forth as they walked through the bustling night activities in the main yard. Kagome stopped then, waiting for a reply from the man beside her. Today had been a sobering experience and she knew that her time was also running out. Now was when she needed to make things count to ensure that Inuyasha had many wonderful memories to carry him through what would be seemingly endless years.

“Are you sure?” The shy comment brushed right behind her ear as his hand came to rest on her shoulder. Her sudden statement had caught him off guard but he had a feeling that it stemmed from her friend's collapse. Kagome was sad and scared, her emotions rolling off her in troubling waves. Something was bothering his miko and she seemed anxious and lost in her thoughts. “What's wrong?”

“Nothing. Lets hurray, it's getting even colder out.” Kagome brushed off his concern. She needed to be alone with him, wrapped in the comfort in his arms before she broke the news that she would be leaving him to a lonely existence for centuries to come. A lump formed deep in her throat at the thought of that harsh reality. Inuyasha had already spent too much time alone; isolated and rejected by all around him before she had met him. Now she was sentencing him to the same life once again. Guilt gnawed inside as she tugged him along behind her.

Her anxiety grew as she pushed open the door to her and Misery's room. Pulling him inside she quickly shut the door. A tight knot had formed in her chest and her breathing accelerated as she fought desperately to control the fear that threatened her. Craving his calming touch she stalked him aggressively, pinning him against the far wall. Snaking her arms around him she pressed herself greedily against his warmth.

Inuyasha was puzzled at this sudden change in Kagome. He could sense her fear and anxiety yet she was acting as if she were aroused. The problem was that he could not smell any scent that supported her behaviour. Kagome was trying to hide from something and her methods were confusing at best. He tried to ignore the rush of heat that soon flooded through him when she pressed so intimately against him. Her wandering hands sent shivers up and down his body and her hot breath on his neck was enough to blur his vision. He couldn't let his own desires control him though. His miko was in distress and it would be wrong for him to take advantage of the situation. Gritting his teeth against the tightening in his groin he gently took her by the shoulders and separated them.

“Kagome?” He breathed out afraid his own desire would be too evident in his voice. This was not the time to be thinking about her lithe body squirming so seductively under his own. But kami she was so beautiful.

“What?” Her blue orbs shimmered in the faint light of the room. Again she tried to make him lost in the moment. Drawing up on her tiptoes she stretched up to kiss him boldly. Her tongue dipped into his mouth; playing a lovers duel in the dark. She could already feel the tension leaving her body as with each taste of him. When his arms pushed her back once again she frowned at him.

“Before this goes any farther, I think you should tell me what's going on.” He released her and leaned back once again into the wall. He created a small barrier between them by crossing his arms. If she kissed him like that again he was certain his resolve would come undone.

“How about I tell you after!” Kagome tried her sweetest smile, nervously wringing her fingers in front of her. Her true belief was that he would handle her confession much better after a steamy round of lovemaking. Her plan it seemed was being foiled before her very eyes. Inuyasha only narrowed his eyes at her and waited expectantly for an answer. Sighing heavily she turned to sit on her sleeping mat. Patting the area beside her she motioned for him to join her. This was a conversation she was not looking forward to.

“What's going on Kagome? You've been acting strange ever since Misery collapsed. Something tells me that your anxiety has everything to do with her.” He pressured her as he settled beside her. Acutely aware of her building tension, he draped an arm around her slender shoulders. It always seemed that his dear Kagome had the weight of the world on her shoulders and tonight was no different. He waited patiently as she gathered her thoughts.

“Things are really complicated Inuyasha. I'm beginning to wonder why Misery and I were allowed back to this time at all.” Kagome sighed again and snuggled farther into the warmth beside her. “Misery can't stay here any longer.”“Why?” The puzzle was only becoming more complicated and he wondered what sinister twist would take its turn on their four lives.

“You have to promise me that you don't tell Sesshoumaru any of this. Promise me Inuyasha!” The miko pleaded with her mate.

“Feh! Alright I promise, now get on with it.” His own anxiety was growing with each second the mystery remained.

“Misery is already in this time period, a younger version who is in Europe. It is important that Sesshoumaru not know her whereabouts. It seems that two of the same individual cannot survive for very long in the same time period. The Misery that you know is slowly deteriorating. Her body is weakening with each minute that she spends here. I have to send her back.”

“So she's alive somewhere else?” The idea was daunting.

“Yes. A young girl who will become the woman I know is struggling to survive half a world away. That is why Sesshoumaru must not know the details. It is imperative that he not find her until he is supposed to.” Kagome explained.

“You mean until the time period you come from.” Inuyasha's heart constricted when he realized where this train of thought was going. If Misery couldn't survive with her younger self then it would be impossible for Kagome to survive the twenty years of her own life in the distant future. Kagome could not stay with him.

“I'm going to have to leave as well. Misery has only been trapped in the same time period as her past for a matter of months. If I stayed there is no way I could survive for almost twenty years.” Kagome paused when the tears began to fall. She hastily brought her sleeve up to wipe away to offending wetness. “I'm so sorry Inuyasha. You're going to be alone for so long. This is all my fault. If I didn't...”

“Shhh.” Inuyasha pulled the weeping girl into his lap and held her tightly. So this was how it was going to have to be. It would seem like an eternity but he would endure whatever trials time would send his way just to be reunited with this wonderful woman. Hell, the last century hadn't been that hard to get through really. Now that she was in his arms it was easy to forget the cold nights he had spent alone and ashamed of his own failure. This time he would at least have the knowledge that he had not failed her. She had returned to him healthy and happy; a blessing after thinking she had vanished injured. He had long ago made up his mind to stay strong and alive so he could see her again. A few centuries would be nothing, knowing that she was safe and anxiously waiting for him.

“But you'll be all alone!” She began to babble as she wept into his chest. Her words soon became incomprehensible as she tried to explain things to him.

Inuyasha couldn't help but chuckle at the shaking bundle in his lap. All the trouble she was experiencing and her main concern was the pain and suffering of others. Her thoughts centered around the welfare of her friend and his own feelings. He figured that she likely hadn't thought once about her own. Typical Kagome, her compassion knew no bounds. Her love was blind to the faults of others and her kind heart constantly reaching out to those who were pained and emotionally scarred. She was a sparkling light in the darkness and left a unmistakable imprint on the lives she touched. In that moment he felt there was no luckier person than he. Of all the creatures in this world she had chosen him to love and cherish above all else. He felt blessed by the Kami themselves.

“Kagome, I have waited for you for this long already. I am well prepared to do so again knowing that you will be waiting for me.” He rubbed her back in a soothing circular motion. Calming the tremors that vibrated through out her body. Finally her sobs became muffled hiccups and her breathing evened out. He smiled encouragingly to the red rimmed eyes that peeked up at him.

“I'll stay as long as I can.” Kagome's heart still felt as if it had been split in two. The reassurance that shined brightly through Inuyasha's eyes lifted her spirits. He was strong. Stronger than anyone she had ever known. If he said he was going to do something then he would follow through no matter what. His strength was what she admired most about him. Not the sword wielding and super human physical strength he possessed but the immense determination and drive that fueled his very being. To her he was the unyielding mountain that stood out amidst the landscape, unique and beautiful. Majestic like Mt. Fuji itself.

“I want you to be safe Kagome, we can't risk the well closing again. I think it would be wise for you to return with Misery.” The hanyou sighed. Her departure was not something he wished for but her safety was his top priority.

“What! No, I'm sure I can stay a little longer. Another month or two perhaps. The main battle is scheduled to begin at the end of March. It's getting close to February but I think I could make it until then. I promised Misery I would look after Shiro no matter what. I can't break my promise to her Inuyasha.” Kagome pleaded.

“How do you know the well won't close when Misery goes through?” He asked suspiciously. He was certain that she didn't know for sure how the well worked or that it would remain unsealed.

“I don't know.” Her honest answer came quietly on the air. “It's just this feeling I have. A strong intuition that is telling me that I can remain for a short time after Misery returns. I know that it's strange and I shouldn't put a lot of faith in it but I think that my role here isn't quite done yet. Misery and I were sent back to find you two. There was no trace of you in modern Tokyo Inuyasha. Any youkai I had known vanished with you. We searched for any trace suggesting you were alive or had been. We looked back through the records for something and all we found was traces of Misery in the late seventeenth century and on. The best we can tell is that either something happened that destroyed a great many of the youkai in this era or perhaps history had not been written yet. This whole mess has me so confused.”

“You think that you still have something left to do?” Inuyasha inquired slightly confused at her last admission.

“Something. What, I have no idea. Like I said it's just a gut feeling. Nothing tangible. I have no leads to follow. Nothing but hunch. Ridiculous I know but it's something I have to go with. You understand don't you?”

Inuyasha had spent a lifetime going with gut feelings. This was something he felt he had to let her do. If worst came to worst he would go to hell and back to find a way to return her to the future. To keep her safe was a promise he would die for. “So what now?”

“I guess we wait for that moment of truth to arrive. I know it is somehow linked to this rebellion and I think that Shiro plays a large part. Maybe in the next few weeks we'll get some information that will point us in the right direction.” Lines of concentration formed on her face as she tried to make sense of her destiny. The mystery remained however and she rubbed her temple against the knot that was forming there.

“What about Misery?”

“I told her she is going home. She has tonight to come to terms with it and if she still refuses in the morning than I will ask Sesshoumaru to take her back.” Kagome was not welcoming that grim task. She actually missed the taiyoukai from the future. He was far less intimidating and fairly easy to talk with when it had come to missions and their pack's safety. The man she would face in the morning might just as easily slice off her head than listen to her request.

“What if he refuses?” Inuyasha could not see his brother giving up a prized possession so easily.

“If he wants her to live he will agree.” Her cold words felt unnatural. Misery had to live. Kagome had already been responsible for her friend's death once and that was something she knew she could not endure once again. In fact she still had nightmares about that gruesome fight in the mountain valley. A day that had changed her forever.

Inuyasha could feel the building tension within his miko once again. It was obvious that she was bothered by her friend's plight so in an effort to ease the tension he quickly changed the subject. “Kagome, you haven't told me yet how your powers came to change so dramatically from the last time I was with you.”

Kagome blushed thinking about the night they had combined their reiki and youki. It had been a night full of passion and lust. What would he think now? She eyed him speculatively until deciding to tell him the whole story from start to finish. As her tale unfolded she watched as wonder filled his eyes and they shone with appreciation for her. Then vivid amber turned to liquid pools of lust as she finished her tale with how they had celebrated their union. She had barely closed her mouth when a feral growl ripped from his throat and she was pushed down on the mat, his body pressed hungrily against her own.

“I think we need to do that again.” He mumbled hotly against her ear as his hips ground into hers suggestively.

“Oh really, I forgot to tell you that you are going to change as well.” She giggled wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him closer. Her breath hitched when his tongue lapped languidly against her throat, temporarily breaking her thoughts.

“Change?” He whispered as he moved up her jawline with his barrage of soft kisses.

“Mmm hmm. Are you listening?” She mumbled again as that fantastic mouth moved over her skin. Her hanyou was already lost to the rush that consumed them when they were in close quarters. Her hands moved to brace against his chest, lifting him slightly so she could look into his face.

“What?” He growled impatiently, anxious to get back to what he had been doing.

“You need to listen Inuyasha! We have to focus so that my reiki and your youki can merge. Now hands off for just a few moments. I promise we will continue when the ceremony is complete.” She smiled sweetly trying to erase the scowl that had come over his fiery features.

After a moment of thought, she was surprised when the most soft and tender expression suddenly emerged from the folds of the scowl. He gently traced the edge of her face with a clawed finger. “Then you will be mine for all time right?”

“I've always been yours Inuyasha. Always and forever.” Closing her eyes she focused on the task at hand. She could feel the rush of energy around them and could feel the force building in the small room. As the fervour escalated around her she parted her lips and waited for the press of her intended's mouth. Lips crashed together just as a spectacular display of coloured orbs and electricity bolted around them. This was far different from the innocent ceremony she had taken part in before; scared and unsure of the results. This was like free falling off the side of a cliff. Inuyasha didn't even look up when their powers combined, he merely let loose a terrifying growl and continued his ferocious assault on her hot body. Not that she minded. It had been far too long since they had last touched. She could spend eternity in his embrace and never need to ask for anything more.

Energy surged in the tiny room, the nearby inhabitants had watched with wary and anxious eyes as the vibrant display had trickled out of the openings of the room. None wished to tempt fate by investigating so the makeshift village fell silent as night weaved it's way once again onto the lands.