InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Fades to Dawn ❯ The Simple Things ( Chapter 42 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
This chapter is dedicated to KryptoInuyasha who has a Birthday very soon.
Happy Birthday Sweetie!

The Simple Things

The air was crisp despite the warming rays of the sun. A beautiful morning had emerged to greet them on their second day at Hara's castle. Kagome wrapped her cloak tightly around her and bound into the open air feeling more alive than she had in weeks. A glorious day to lift the spirits of all. The blanket of white that covered the ground glistened brightly in the golden rays. Birds chirped exuberantly around her and her heart sang happily in response. This was what life was all about. The simple things.

“Damn. Wipe that stupid grin off your face.”

“Misery!” She exclaimed running to hug the scowling woman.

“Too damn chipper!” Misery groaned under the warm embrace of the miko. How could anyone be so cheerful this early in the day? The sun had only recently sparkled over the horizon and lit up the land in vibrant shades of white and blue.

“You look much better this morning.” Kagome noticed that the darkness that had seemingly engulfed her friend was gone. It was like it had miraculously burned off with the cleansing light of the late winter sun.

“Yeah.” Missy grumbled back pushing the bubbly girl off her. Leave it to Kagome to notice the slightest of changes in a person.

“Sleep good?”

“You could say that.” The nephilim yawned and then stretched before casually wandering through the opening in the trees. Finding a large rock she drew her lethargic limbs up onto it and stretched out to absorb the warmth the sun offered.

Misery, despite her closed eyes, could tell that her friend was still grinning goofily and awaiting an answer to the unasked question. Cracking open a silver orb her assessment was correct for Kagome wore the most sheepish expression. Sighing heavily and rolling her eyes she raised her hands over her head, settling them behind her for a cushion.

“Your damn giddy nature wore on me I guess. I spent all of yesterday with Shiro and apparently he's just as damn optimistic as you are.”

Kagome's grin grew even more. She knew it. That boy was healing their angel in a way neither she nor the rest of them ever could. His innocence and charisma was leaving a positive impression on her soul. An imprint that would last for all eternity. Her eyes sparkled as she listened to Misery's revelation.

“That kid is so passionate and alive. Even though he knows that failure is likely he still stands by his beliefs and ideals. All he wants is freedom for their faith and a better life for the people. I guess it made me understand why life is so important. For someone like me time is irrelevant but for Shiro, he only has a sliver of it to accomplish all he wants. Stupid brat even had the nerve to lecture me yesterday.”

“Lecture you?” Kagome found it odd that someone so young would have more wisdom than this beauty who had survived for centuries.

“Told me to stop living in the past! I nearly choked. Little bugger has no idea how close to the truth he was.” She smirked as she sat up and stretched again. “He said that no matter what has happened in the past one has to overcome it and move on. Life's too short. Everyone has had some tragedy in their lives but that's no reason to stop living.”

Misery turned her head up to the vivid blue sky and smiled the brightest smile she had in a very long time. A pair of birds twittered and wove patterns in the air as she watched. Life always continued. Sometimes people just got swept up in their own pain and their own past that it ends up flying by without them noticing. She had become one of those people. Stuck down in the darkness that was consuming her mind, heart and soul.

“You told me the other night that I deserved some happiness. I think I owe it to you and Shiro to forget the past and finally move on. Cernonnus can't touch me anymore. He may be wreaking havoc in Europe right now but I know I survived. If he somehow shows up when I return to my own time I have the confidence now to destroy him. The past is something we learn from. It changes us; transforms us in ways we could never imagine. I've adapted over and over again to meet the challenges I've faced. I know that I'm a hell of a lot stronger than I was when I first encountered him.”

“That's right and Shippo will be helping you won't he! You are strong Misery. You're brave, intelligent, and even compassionate. I remember someone told me not long ago that your future is what you make of it. Why not make your future something bright and memorable?” Kagome reached over and squeezed her friend's hand; she was certain that Misery had finally found that hope that had been buried somewhere deep inside. All it had taken was a trip to the past and a connection with a young rebel leader to do it. Fate had a strange way of playing out but she thanked the Kami once more that Midoriko had found a way to give them all a little salvation.

“I've spent my life searching for that perfect moment, you know, like that magic rainbow. There's no such thing though is there. It's about making those perfect moments. I'm going to live my life as each day comes. No more looking back. No more dwelling on the bad. Besides Shiro needs me Kagome and I promised you that I wouldn't leave your side no matter what. I keep my promises.” An overwhelming lightness fell upon her as if a huge burden had been lifted off her shoulders. Yesterday she had never expected such a small conversation with Shiro to have such results. The bleak existence she had accepted had been blown to pieces by his caring eyes and moving words. It was about more than just her. People depended on her, even needed her. Before she had kept everyone at an arms length never wanting them close enough to hurt her. It had even taken her decades before she trusted Shippo. Years spent on the run. Now she saw what she was missing. How much friends could enrich a life. Emotions were natural and at least now she would know what is was like to feel again. Prepared for whatever would come, Misery held fast the hand of her anchor as she slid off her cold perch. Together they laughed as they wandered arm and arm through the broken down castle.

X-X-X-X-X

The morning had faded quickly and soon afternoon was growing late as well. The rebels had stripped many of the ships transferring the heavy wooden planks to the castle. Walls were being repaired with remarkable speed. A few more days and Kagome believed that the once broken down fortress would be unrecognizable. Her eyes wandered around the busy area watching the men working. Many women were present as well, having traveled with their husbands or families with the rebellion. Likely twenty thousand people filled the grounds. She could see campfires flaring up on the hillsides around the main fort. The depth of the suffering was evident in the sheer number of people that had come to follow Shiro. The final battle she knew was only a few months away and she prayed that the history she had come to learn would not be what these people would bear witness to. If it did, they would all be dead by the middle of April.

“Smells good.” The husky voice of her hanyou rumbled behind her, causing her to grin as she stirred the large cauldron of stew. It was just like him to catch the scent of a meal.

“No sampling!” She chided, slapping his hand with the large spoon when he tried to sneak a taste.

“Come on Kagome! I'm starving.” Big puppy dog eyes begged as he rubbed the red mark on his hand.

“No! These people need it far more than you do. Let them eat first and then you can have some. I'll save you a bowl I promise.” Her sweet smile encouraged him to take a seat behind her while she prepared to serve the workers a hot meal.

“Arigoto Kagome-sama.” The rebels graciously thanked their kindhearted addition as she warmly dished their evening meal. Her heart hurt at their sunken eyes and skinny frames. They had gone through so much, suffered for so long and yet they put everything they had into improving their lives. Again she prayed that history would change when a young woman holding a small infant came to warm their bellies. Misery took over ladling the food when Kagome offered to tend to the baby while the mother ate.

“She's adorable.” She cooed as she sank beside Inuyasha. Emotional blue eyes looked up to lock with hard amber. Another pain stabbed her heart. Would even the tiniest of children be fated to die on that day of tragedy. Would the daimyo spare the children or had they been classified as rebels as well?

“She's a baby.” He grunted back uncomfortable with the tiny bundle being so close. “Why the eyes Kagome?”

“It just gets so hard sometimes when you know certain things.” She tried to explain knowing that she had to be careful with the details surrounding the Shimabara rebellion.

“You mean because you're from the future? You know how this is suppose to end don't you?” He questioned, anger rising that Kagome was suffering just as much as these humans. Her destiny lay in the future and because of that she knew much of what what would transpire. He also knew that for the most part she was powerless to change history. Being unable to end suffering that you knew was coming would be awfully hard on a kind miko like his.

She nodded slightly wrapping the infant tighter in its blankets. It squawked at the adjustment so Kagome offered her knuckle to the child as a trade off. It happily gummed the appendage, drooling terribly in the process.

“It's not good for these people is it?” He asked; the answer revealed when the scent of salt hit the air. Kagome merely quickly wiped the tear away and shook her head. Inuyasha stared emptily at the men who passed through the meal line. “Their odds aren't good. The army they face is immense and I've heard that the daimyo has commandeered both Chinese and Dutch vessels to aid in the fight. Not to mention the samurai that have been contracted. What happens Kagome?”

She paused cooing at the infant now happily gurgling in her arms. Did she dare tell him? Would it matter? They had already altered fate with their presence. The fire storm at the Shimabara castle would surely have a great impact. Looking around to ensure privacy she opened up, whispering her rendition of what was to come.

“History claims that the rebels will be under siege for months. Come April Hizen warriors will storm the castle and by mid April the rebels fall. The government orders some thirty seven thousand rebels and sympathizers executed. Shiro's head is taken to Nagasaki and put on display. This fortress is leveled and Christianity banned. Anyone who survives is driven underground in fear of persecution.” She couldn't stop the tears that trickled down her face. Her sleeves where soon damp as she hastily wiped away the traces of her heartbreak.

Inuyasha remained silent taking in the faces of the men and women who worked so adamantly around him. Was it possible that they would all perish? Could they change history? Surely something could be done.

“Did history mention anything about a miko and hanyou?” He asked suddenly.

Kagome just looked at him in confusion and again shook her head.

“Then stop babbling all this nonsense. They won't die. Besides we have Misery and I think Sesshoumaru might be sticking around as well. Having a few youkai on your side can be quite beneficial.” He grinned at the wide smile that suddenly broke on Kagome's face. He would walk through hell and back just to see her smile. If saving this sorry lot of people would bring an even bigger smile, he would do just that.

“Arigoto Inuyasha.” Kagome sighed as she snuggled into his side. The baby was tucked safely between them when he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. The little girl grinned and wiggled until one arm was free from the restraints of her blanket. A tiny hand emerged to tangle roughly in the silver mane that hung in front of her.

“Oi wench!” Inuyasha scolded the infant, though the smile that blossomed on his face never left when he carefully pried the delicate fist from his hair.

“Inuyasha! Language!” Kagome giggled as she again wrapped the baby to keep the chill of the winter air from her sensitive skin.

“Do you think she's warm enough?” He asked then wondering how a human child so small could fare in the frigid temperatures.

“I think so but I have an extra blanket in my room. Here, you hold her and I'll run and get it.” Kagome quickly stood and deposited the gurgling child in the unsuspecting arms of her hanyou.

“Kagome! I can't hold a baby!” He whined uncomfortably shifting the child to the crook of his arm.

“Oh fiddlesticks. You're doing fine. I'll only be a minute.” Without another word the miko disappeared.

“Oh hell! I wish I had a camera right about now.” Inuyasha looked up the the laughing eyes of the red head. Misery grinned at his complete discomfort.

“Make yourself useful wench and take this thing.” He tried. The baby still smiled brightly at him and he relaxed his hold. Maybe this wasn't as bad as he thought.

“No way in hell! I don't do babies.” She shot back, taking a step away to emphasis her dislike for maternal duties.

“Come on! You're a woman aren't you!” He argued again.

“Nice try. You likely need the practice anyway. Can't imagine it'll take too long before little, furry eared miko are running around.” She laughed at the sudden blush that flushed his skin. Encouraged by his lack of response she hunkered down beside him. Scrunching up her nose she peaked at the small baby.

“She won't bite you know.” He grumbled when Misery recoiled at the bundle.

“I know that idiot. They're just so small and there's too many body fluids.” She shook her head in disgust. She grinned as she thought about Inuyasha and Kagome. No use wasting time on the issue, she might as well get to the important topic. The question she really wanted an answer to anyway.

“Jumped her bones yet?”

Inuyasha stared at the crude woman beside him utterly astonished at the bold question. What the hell was this woman thinking? Kagome was too sweet and innocent for a description like that.

“Well have you?” Misery urged raising an eyebrow suggestively. Her grin widening as she watched the colour on his cheeks seemingly burn red. “I'll take that as a no!”

“I'm back!” Kagome waved as she emerged back by the cooking fire, a blanket tucked safely in her arms. She smiled at Misery when the nephilim stood and went back to serving stew. “Here we are sweetheart. This will keep you snug as a bug in a rug!”

Inuyasha gladly returned the wiggling bundle to the miko and his eyes softened as he watched her lovingly swaddle the infant. His heart swelled with anticipation. One day Kagome would be doing the same thing with a child of their own. He was certain. Their relationship wasn't surging forward by leaps and bounds; more or less just baby steps. Yet there was no doubt in his mind. This was definitely the woman he wanted to mother his children. The urge to wrap them both in his arms was alarming. Letting the moment grab hold he reached out and pulled the startled miko and her precious charge into his lap.

“It's getting colder out.” He whispered quietly in her ear trying to justify his actions. To his relief Kagome smiled and turned her attention back to the little girl. They sat there in silence enjoying the simplest of affections with a happy infant gurgling and cooing to them.

X-X-X-X-X

With the rebels fed including a hanyou with an amazing appetite, Misery left the clearing for the peace of the nearby forest. The night had been rather wonderful. She had spent most of it watching the blossoming of young love between Kagome and Inuyasha. The blushes, whispered words and long glances where entertaining to watch. She was happy that the younger couple was slowly adjusting to the distance that had initially wormed its way between them. Figuring they needed some alone time she graciously excused herself claiming she needed to stretch her legs.

Stretch her legs she did. Climbing high on a rock ledge she dropped to the ground to find a comforting peace in the stars and the surf. Her peace was soon interrupted by the familiar and slightly terrifying surge in youki. Instantly she tensed remembering his predatory eyes and crushing words on the ship two nights before. Undecided on her own safety she scrambled to her feet, drawing her swords in the process. Spinning around she found herself nose to nose with Sesshoumaru.

“Hn. You think to draw blood on me?” This impudent woman was well out of her league is she thought to take him on.

The hard edge to his icy words made her step back. Shivering she brought the blades up defensively. “What do you want? I thought I told you that I want nothing to do with you.”

Sesshoumaru stared at this most peculiar of creatures. He heard the waiver in her voice; the uncertainty yet she still stood, swords drawn preparing to fight if necessary. Bold. Foolish but bold. He trained his eyes on her suddenly wishing that she wasn't hidden beneath the voluminous folds of the cloak she wore. The thin yukata the other night had been much more to his liking.

“You don't have a choice in the matter woman.” He stepped closer again. His voice menacing in the dark. She was rightfully his. A possession to do with as he wished and although she wasn't a pure blood like he had always envisioned he would take, she was oddly fascinating. Despite his regard towards her breeding he found he was warming up to the idea of having her with him for all eternity.

Misery's eyes widened in fear and she darted backwards desperate to put some space between herself and this terrifying version of the man she used to love. Her position forgotten she soon found her footing slipping and gasped when she started to fall backwards over the cliff. A steely grip pressed against her arm and she was pulled against cold armour. She shivered again when he dropped his head to her neck and breathed deeply.

“Your scent has sealed your fate. You belong to me.” He growled. Foolish girl had nearly hurt herself in a futile attempt at escaping him. He did not like the concern that had hit him when her foot slipped; the sudden fear that tightened in his chest at the thought of her blood spilling. Never releasing his grip he spun her around and began dragging her ruthlessly behind him. The farther away from the cliff the better. He was however careful to listen to her footsteps wanting to be certain that he wasn't straining her too much.

“Bastard!” She suddenly blurted digging in her heals and swinging her free hand towards him trying to connect her blade with his fur covered shoulder. Her wrist was suddenly dropped and Sesshoumaru vanished from in front of her. Crouching she prepared for his strike. Finding strength in the sudden silence around her, she slowly raised and tilted her head defiantly. Sesshoumaru would not strike. He may be hard and cold but he was honourable.

“I belong to no one!” She hissed into the blackness around her. How dare he treat her as property.

A strained chuckle echoed around her in the trees. Then a strong arm wrapped around her waist and her swords were pulled from her hands. They clanged noisily as they fell to the snow covered ground. Another arm wrapped tightly across her chest and a warm hand tilted her head, holding it still. Warm breath lapped at her now exposed neck.

“Insolent woman. You need to learn your place.” He growled lightly as he stared at the creamy skin that he now prized. How did she do this to him? Make him want her so indescribably. Fire sparked wherever her skin touched his. The beast within surged with protectiveness wanting to destroy anything that touched her or even dare look at her. His lips twitched as they closed in on their target until her sorrowful voice gave him pause.

“How can you touch me? I'm filth remember. Tainted. Nothing but an abomination. Unfit to be in your presence.” His accusations still burned in her ears. The look in his eyes when he spoke such a cruel admission would be forever etched in her memory. Whatever hope she had held for a beautiful encounter had been dashed. His snarling face was all she needed to see to realize that he was far from the man she had met four hundred years in the future.

His heart nearly stopped at hearing his own ruthless words sobbed from her mouth. Words he had spoken in haste and in contempt of the situation he had suddenly found himself in. The damage his own stupidity had done was clearly evident. He had hurt the very thing he was obligated to protect. How did he fix this though? Having a mate wasn't something he was familiar with nor was the emotions of a woman. Rin had been so easy to read and easy to please. A child so starved for affection that the smallest of gestures went a long way.

Misery was different though. This woman had known him in another time; another version of himself. What had they experienced together? How did he take back the hurtful accusations he had spat at her earlier? Then again did it matter? She was his mate. A good mate would be obedient and know her place. He cursed himself for even thinking that. This fiery maiden would rather cut out her own heart than smile at his side in his court.

“Don't touch me.” She hiccuped through the tears. It was becoming more and more difficult to decipher between this man and the one she had lain with. The longer he held her the more she was afraid her resolve would fail. This was not the man she wanted. This Sesshoumaru was a cold blooded killer. An assassin in the night with no remorse and more importantly no heart.

Another shooting pain of guilt and despair. Was she repulsed by his touch? Confusion settled in and he reluctantly released her. He watched as she stumbled in the snow, falling in a heap of black wool and auburn hair. Her wretched sobs filled the night air until at long last he could take no more. Silently he unbuckled his armour, carefully depositing it on the bare ground beneath a dense grove of trees and bush. Pulling his mokomoko off his shoulder he approached the distressed nephilim carefully. Reaching down he lightly touched her shoulder. When no rebuff came he gently lifted her out of the snow and made his way back to dry ground. Her pitiful tears had crystallized on her eyelashes as fresh ones continued to fall. Settling beside his armour, he pulled her tightly against him and wrapped them in the warmth of the massive white fur.

The feelings she tried to rein in had taken it's toll on her. She was unable to stop the flood of pain that had erupted from inside and the thick emotion had made it impossible to protest his actions. Now she found herself clutched to the chest of her assassin. Wasn't he disgusted by her? Didn't he admit that he would never bring such filth to his bed? Why then was he acting so tenderly to her; just like the man she remembered?

“I spoke with ignorance.” His apology rang in her ears. “This Sesshoumaru did not want to recognize the scent of his own on your skin. It seemed almost... impossible.”

The tears slowed as did her breathing. No longer did her body shake her own fear of rejection. He held a small bud of hope that she would understand. Only when her breathing returned to normal and the smell of salt faded did he chance a look down at her. Her red rimmed eyes stared vacantly out into the night. She seemed lost in deep thought.

“I still hear him and feel his touch at night. Not a moment goes by that I don't think of him.” Her sad words broke the silence. Even now it was still so fresh. Her memory drifted to the fateful day in the lab that had been the catalyst in a chain of events that would change her life. Sesshoumaru had walked through the door just as she triggered the explosion. She remembered the taste of fear she had experienced when the smoke cleared. Sesshoumaru had been covered in debris and she thought him dead. Sobbing she had yelled at him when he had cracked an eye of indifference to the situation he had found himself in. Then the trip through the manor to the garden with him clutching her as if she were no more than a small child. She had felt so safe as she clung to him. Finally the invocation of her own emotions as she came undone beneath the tree of her fate. Her mind lingered on the passionate kiss they had shared. So lost in the memory so she barely heard his question.

“You mean me?” He was confused by the talk of himself in third person.

“No. Him. I don't know you. You are not my Sesshy.” How had this occurred? She had been given the briefest of glimpses of pure happiness and now she had met him. A stranger of the night. A man without a heart.

“I still have an obligation to fulfill. You would be best to become acquainted with this Sesshoumaru.” How was one to respond to a strange comment like that? Not himself? Didn't know him? He was still her mate no matter what time she was in. He was the same man was he not?

“I'm an obligation then?” She stated blandly. When he spoke it was easy to see the difference between them. This version had no tact when it came to dealing with others. She pushed against the restraints of his arms and was disappointed when he tightened them.

Mentally he cursed himself for his poor choice of words once more. He suddenly wished for the presence of the monk who had traveled with Inuyasha. That fool had a way with women like no other and his understanding would be most appreciated right now. Sesshoumaru did not apologize but it was becoming evident that he may be doing much groveling in the future. Only if he had to though, and only in private for it was well known that the great taiyoukai did not grovel!

“You are mine!” He growled possessively hoping that his show of momentary affection would distract her train of thought. Again his choice in words did not achieve what he wished.

“Not everything can be conquered my Lord. I am not a possession. He never took me against my will.” This time her physical protests to her warm prison had favorable results as he relaxed his grip and pushed her up to a sitting position.

Sesshoumaru was losing ground fast. He had tried his most successful tactics on her and none were working. First he had tried to terrorize her on the ship. A favorable form of interrogation that had failed miserably. Now he had tried forcible restraint until she came to terms with the situation. However it appeared that the second was doing the opposite of his desired response. Taking a page from the monk he reluctantly tried a more gentle approach. He prayed to the kami that no one would see him in such an awkward and very uncharacteristic position. Making sure that she felt free he lightly brushed her face and loosely placed his fingers on her chin. With slight persistence he had turned her head so that she was looking at him. Instantly he felt lost in her silver eyes.

“This Sesshoumaru would never take you against your will either.” He found a tiny ray of hope sparkling back in those luminous orbs. Encouraged he continued on foreign terrain. “I also will not leave your side no matter how much you despise me. Perhaps you could come to dislike me somewhat less over time.”

Misery jerked her head away just for the sheer effect of it. Down to begging was he. Not at all what she had been expecting. This aristocratic assassin was far from what she had envisioned when she had first stepped through the well. Ruthless and destructive and maybe even a little... caring. Damn her fluttering heart. It was making it very hard to keep from returning to the warmth of his body. Her eyes fixed on the massive spikes on his armour. At least he hadn't made her curl up with that. Maybe there was some hope. Cursing she quickly stood before her treacherous heart made her do something she would regret.

“Fine. Follow me around like a lost puppy. I sure as hell won't like it you know.” As she strode meaningfully towards her snow covered blades she missed the quick play of victory race across his face. When she finally looked back a hard scowl was firmly in place.

“I assure you I am not a lost puppy.” He disliked the cute terms she used around him. Puppy? Plus, did his future self really put up with her calling him Sesshy? That was most disturbing.

“Whatever dog boy.” This time she feigned disinterest as she trudge back down the rugged terrain to the castle. She smiled a secret smile when she felt him following behind her closely. Once again she felt safe and secure even if her mind refused to believe. Maybe by spring she would find her rainbow after all.

X-X-X-X-X

“Oh wow! Look at the shooting star Inuyasha!” Kagome squealed pointing happily at the sparkling sky. Misery had left them alone and they had decided that a late night walk would be a perfect way to end the evening. So now they were sitting overlooking the sea with a warm blanket draped around both their shoulders.

“Yeah.” He replied nervously. Should he do it now? What would happen? Damn it! His mind was screaming conflicting messages as he tried to work up his own courage. Oh man. He just missed a perfect opportunity. Had he been leaning over she would have practically run into his lips when she turned her head. Maybe next time. He twisted his hands nervously in his lap and found them suddenly to be very interesting.

“Are you feeling alright?” Kagome noticed the sudden quietness in her companion and the fact that his interest in his hands was more than what it should be. He suddenly seemed so tense and she was beginning to worry that she had perhaps said or done something that was to his dislike.

She was so close. Her breath sweet and warm in the clean night air. Those eyes of hers were like vivid blue pools that he could swim in forever. Drawn to her, he leaned closer.

“Kagome?” He whispered, mesmerized by her soft gaze he leaned in farther.

Thick lashes fell as she drew in a sharp breath, closing her eyes tightly as he moved forward. The air seemed so thick around him and his lungs struggled to draw air. He could hear the pounding of her heart; ever accelerating as he made his advance. Heat and fire mixed with calm and coolness as his lips gently brushed hers. Her mouth parted ever so slightly under the pressure and her hands instantly fisted in his haori. He pulled back to gaze lovingly at his mate.

“Inuyasha... Don't stop. Please.” Kagome begged. It had been so long since she had felt his touch. Too long since she had felt the warmth of his embrace and the heat of his kiss. She couldn't stop the tears of happiness that spilled from her closed eyes.

“Kagome?” He questioned unsure of the wetness on her cheeks.

“Please Inuyasha.” She couldn't bear to spent another moment without some connection with him. Just to feel his embrace and taste his kiss once more. That was all she asked. Just a little more.

Understanding dawned on the hanyou and he let loose a throaty growl, wrapping his arms around her small waist and pulling her forcibly against him. This opportunity would not be wasted and this time he did not hesitate as his lips crashed down on hers. Kagome's response was immediate as her hands found their way up to tangle in his thick mane.

This is what she had needed. The longing that had been almost consuming was finally being sated. Wantonly she clung to him desperate to cool the fire the raged within. In seconds she found herself on her back, Inuyasha pressed greedily against her. Hands wandering and lips caressing they were lost in the moment.

Lost until a alarming crash through the trees caused them to break from their personal conquests. Inuyasha was quick to reach for his sword but soon stopped and cursed. Kagome raised a questioning eyebrow and let him pull her to a sitting position. Searching the darkness she finally spotted the cause of their interruption.

Misery burst through the tree line and in the vivid moonlight Kagome could pick out her disheveled appearance. Her cape was ripped and torn and her hair full of twigs and the odd dried leaf. The miko had to hold a hand over her mouth to stifle the laughter that threatened to bubble out. Missy was beyond embarrassed and the scowl on her face did her no justice. An amused taiyoukai casually emerged moments later looking as pristine as ever; not a single twig or speck of dirt marring his perfect attire.

“Sorry!” Misery frowned and risked an apologetic smile as she passed Kagome, well aware of what she had interrupted in her hasty exit from the forest. It couldn't be helped though. Sesshoumaru was driving her up a wall.

“If you had accepted my escort you would not have found yourself tangled in those bushes. A pity that your bloodline did not grace you with advanced senses like my own. I can see fine in the dark.” He chuckled behind her not even sparing a glance at his brother and miko who watched as the argument unfolded.

“Shut it Sesshoumaru. I told you I don't need your help. I've survived just fine without you so far!” She exclaimed pulling tree debris from her hair, wincing when she yanked too hard.

“Indeed. You've demonstrated it so well tonight.” His face remained expressionless as she spun and scrunched up her face in disgust.

“Go away already! Don't you have something to do?” When he quirked and eyebrow in questioning she continued. “You know like 'Lordly' duties or I don't know... something to kill?”

“No.” He replied matter-of-factly.

Misery responded by childishly clenching her fists and stomping her foot as an exasperated squeal came from her mouth. She couldn't help it though. He was just so damn infuriating. The entire trip down the hillside had her listening to a running commentary on how he could get her back much quicker, how she wasn't doing something right and how much better he could do everything. She wasn't a kid who needed to be packed around and she wasn't about to do something because he said to. Damn him to hell she was going to do as she pleased! Prickly bushes be damned! She would strike forward against his advice just to prove him wrong. Even though her skin burned where the thorns had scratched her she felt oddly empowered that she had made it through the thick foliage without his assistance.

“Child.” She heard him comment behind her as she stomped off into the outskirts of the fortresses boundaries. Misery responded by turning around and sticking her tongue out in the dark.

“See that with you're advanced eyes? Here what about this?” She shouted back shoving her thumb between her index and middle finger, waving it furiously at him. Had her eyes been better she would have had the satisfaction at seeing the stunned expression on his face. All she saw was him stop in his tracks. His pause was enough for her and she smirked happily to herself as she ran back to her room.

“Crude girl.” He mused to the night air when he had recovered from the vision of his fiery warrior so blatantly displaying her opinion of him. He quickened his pace to catch up with her. Far too many men roamed in the fortress and he did not wish for them to take a unwanted liking to something that was his. Best to terrify them all with his presence so they steered clear of his woman.

“Kagome? What the hell was that?” Inuyasha blinked at the strange show he had just bore witness to. Never in his life had he seen Sesshoumaru act so calm when someone was so very rude to him. Nor had he ever seen or heard his brother laugh and smile without murderous intent. He felt shell shocked after seeing it. So much so that his eyes blinked rapidly trying to process the images again in his mind.

Kagome finally let loose her laughter, filling the night air with its melodious sound. The pair seemed absolutely oblivious to their love of each other. Both the taiyoukai and nephilim were playing the same games they always did. She turned her head and smiled cheekily at Inuyasha. “That my dear was a glimpse of the future.”

“Feh! They're both baka.” He grumbled as he stood and pulled her up. Lifting her in his arms the hanyou bounded forward towards the castle. Tonight had been quite the experience and he wondered just what would have happened if they hadn't been interrupted. He couldn't complain though. Never before had he experienced such a rush and he was anxious for a repeat. Tomorrow was a new day and he couldn't wait.

A/N: Just a quick thanks tonight! I appreciate all the wonderful reviews! You all know who you are and that I live for your comments!

Thanks also to my Beta.