InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Nature ❯ Demon Nature Chapter 33 Heavy Lays the Head That Wears the Crown ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Demon Nature Chapter 33 Heavy Lays the Head that Wears the Crown

As you know, I don't own the Inu Yasha characters. I should be so talented, and lucky. ~_^

For current updates go to www.nonperky.net/demon

Miroku stirred the embers in the fire pit, listening intently to the sounds of the night. So far everything was as it should be. There had recently been a thaw, a few days of no snow or wind, and every living creature had made use of it, including him and Sango, and their infant.

Sango looked over at him, finished nursing and after redoing the baby's swaddling, lay her down so that the fire's warmth would reach her. It had been hard for her to admit that she liked Miroku, a Buddhist after all, having been raised in the religion of her forefathers in this place. But once the quest had been over, and Inu Yasha and Kagome had finally agreed to be together, and Shippo had gone on to make his way in the world, they had had time to work on their relationship, which had not been smooth sailing at all. That was part of the reason she was so old and having her first child. Some women her age were grandmothers.

"Are you warm Sango?"

"Yes, I'm fine Miroku," she said following him with her eyes as he came and sat down next to her.

"There's still some food…"

The both heard the sudden silence, and Miroku didn't have to tell Sango to put the baby safely out of the way before getting up and grabbing her weapon along with her mask while he grabbed his staff and stood blocking the door.

But instead of some demon bursting in, the village headman entered, leading a procession consisting of two miko's and a Shinto priest. A Buddhist priest brought up the rear, his disciple walking quietly behind him.

"Miroku-sama, Sango-chan, these visitors have come a long way to talk to you both about two demons they believe you know well. I told them that since you've been here we have had no demonic activity, and that you have aided even surrounding villages."

Neither Miroku nor Sango spoke nor did the visiting religious. At that moment their daughter decided at that moment to begin to cry for her mother. Sango, her hair longer than it had ever been, moved to quiet her child while Miroku indicated the dignitaries should sit down.

"We don't have much food…"

"The Elders here have been generous to us, and we have eaten Houshi-sama," the older miko said calmly.

"We have spent a long time looking for you both, but we feel only you can shed light on certain things happening in the demon world."
Sango was glad she was busy with her daughter, Eiko, and had her face averted so she didn't have to look at the miko. The younger of the two was watching her intently, and Sango was determined not to let her get under her skin.

"The only thing we know about demons is how to stop them from harassing humans…"

"You are Miroku, who traveled with the demon Inu Yasha and the miko Kagome. Sango, your wife, is the only survivor of the exterminator village, which was destroyed by the arch demon Naraku."

Miroku said nothing, wondering what the visitors wanted from him and Sango.

When the visitors saw that neither Miroku nor Sango was going to speak, they continued.

"The demon Sesshoumaru was almost captured and killed, getting away with the help of his spawn according to eye witnesses. We have also heard that the Demon Lord Sesshoumaru has reconciled with his brother Inu Yasha and that together they rule the demon world."

"I don't understand what you want with us," Miroku said.

"You are a powerful priest Miroku. You have dealt with both of the brothers. You would know their weaknesses, and how they can be neutralized."

Miroku looked back at Sango, who met his eyes levelly. The priests and the miko's had come in force, which meant that they had come prepared to force the information from them, using spells if need be, and physical torture if that failed. Eiko had calmed down, and Miroku took a minute to look at her tiny face, now calm, before meeting Sango's eyes. She gave him a silent assent to do what had to be done, and he took a deep breath.

"How do you know so much about goings on in the demon world? Have Sesshoumaru or Inu Yasha been killing humans?" Miroku asked, looking each one of them in the eye as he spoke.

"Sesshoumaru has attacked several priests and miko's…"

"Unprovoked?"

The religious looked at each other, and Miroku picked up their unease at his questions.

"We've sensed the upheavals in the demon realm, and have petitioned the gods for assistance. All we get back is talk of the Inugami's. We inquired and found out you and your wife know them."

"Knew them. We haven't seen them in some time."

"Where is the Demon Lord's castle?"

"Sesshoumaru has a castle?"

The visitors looked at him with cold eyes..

"Where is it priest?" the younger miko said, her voice harsh as the atmosphere in the house.

"I don't know. Sess, I mean Sesshoumaru, always just showed up. I didn't think he had a permanent place to live."

"Exterminator?"

"He's telling the truth. We never knew where Sesshoumaru lived."

"You consider Inu Yasha your friend correct?"

Sango felt the binding spell and Eiko whimpered as her mother held her close. Too late Miroku tried to counter it, and he looked at them, his eyes flashing.

"Lets see how much of a friend a demon is."

Sango would've cried out but couldn't because of the spell when she saw them take Eiko, the younger miko cradling the now sleeping child tenderly as she walked out. One tear fell as she watched helplessly as the woman disappeared into the night. Even when they lifted her and carried her to a waiting horse, where they tied her in so that it appeared that she was riding away, she kept her eyes on her daughter.

Miroku couldn't even shed a tear, his anger was too great. One day he would get his revenge, and he would not need help from the demon world.

For her part, Kirara had hidden herself, and it was only later that Sango, who had been obsessed with Eiko and what was happening to her, realized that the fanatics had not seen Kirara. If they had, they would've killed them on the spot. Where ever Kirara had taken herself, they would get help soon.

"Are we friends Kagome?"

Kagome looked up at Rin, who had come to see her today, unannounced. Hana had not known what to do, so she'd ended up sitting in the corner watching the two women talk. Light filtered through the screen that hid them from view, this part of the castle getting abundant sun light in the morning.

"I should ask you that Rin," Kagome said with a smile, looking at the new silk that had come in and been given to her.

"I would like nothing more than to be able to fit into a pair of jeans right now," Kagome pouted, folding the silk as she talked.

"Jeans? The, uh, pants from your time?" Rin asked, watching Kagome as she finished folding the silk.

"I like them," Rin continued brightly. "They make you feel daring. When you have them on you feel, I don't know, nice."

"Sexy."

"Sexy?" Rin said, turning the word over in her mouth.

"You know, like a man would want you, want to be with you."

"Oh," Rin said, blushing deeply, thinking about the sleeping things Sesshoumaru liked her to wear when they were alone.

"Sesshoumaru likes something you wear?" Kagome asked.

"Yes, but that's private," Rin said, still blushing.

Kagome understood. Inu Yasha liked her to wear red silk panties, and not much else.

"No problem. I know what you mean."

Rin glanced up at her, not saying anything.

"What about you? What do you like him to wear Rin?" Kagome asked with a smile, hoping Rin wouldn't clam up on her.

"Oh, he can wear anything. He looks good in your time too," Rin said with a big smile.

"The lady doctor was upset when he jumped out of the window after Leiko," Rin giggled, covering her mouth.

"Her expression was funny," Kagome agreed, rubbing her stomach as the baby moved.

Hana was just out of ear shot but she knew Kagome had been upset about not being able to get close to Rin, who seemed to want only to be with Sesshoumaru, and when he wasn't there she heard that Rin would spend her time alone, writing, a new joy for her, and she never missed a class.

Hana had thought that everyone lived in fear of Sesshoumaru, and they did, but they also feared this tiny woman who spent more time with him than anyone, even Jaken. But to see her now, sitting just out of a shaft of sunlight, her ink black hair in her traditional side knot, which now flowed into her hair, her skin flawless, her large eyes smiling, was to see a Rin no one ever saw, a Rin she saved for her mate.

Rin's personal maid stood just outside the door, and Hana got up, going outside to join her.

"How is Rin-sama?" the woman asked anxiously, her face showing her concern.

"She and Kagome are talking, so I thought it best to leave them alone."

"It's good you know, that Kagome is here for her."

"How do you get along with her?" Hana asked softly.

"She doesn't say much, she saves her conversation for her Master."

"Does she call him that?"

"You have to understand, Rin has been with her Master since she was a child. He's the only man she has ever known."

"Is that a good thing?"

"It's what is," the woman said softly, again looking at the screen which hid Kagome and Rin from view.

"Does he care for her?"

The woman, Fumi, looked at Hana for a long time before answering.

"Lord Sesshoumaru hates humans, but she has been at his side forever."

"He hates humans? Then why…"

"You asked me a question, I gave you an answer."

Kagome's servant, Joruri, joined them, sitting down next to Hana.

"Is Hana prying again?" Joruri asked Fumi.

"Yes," Fumi said, frowning slightly.

"I'm just trying to understand things here…"

"You're like us, you're here for a reason. Do your assigned task, and do it well, and the demons will leave you alone. They think it's their world you know, and they just let us hang in it to amuse them."

The screen went up and Rin stepped out, her brocaded kimono shimmering in shades of green like the sea.

"Rin-sama," Joruri bowed, before going in to attend Kagome.

"Kagome-sama is tired, and so am I," she said, looking at Fumi, who had gotten to her feet as soon as she'd seen the screen go up. Rin looked at Hana, her face once again an unreadable mask before turning and heading toward her part of the dwelling, Fumi making sure that she walked a discreet distance behind her. Hana noted that the halls, which had been teeming with people, were now empty, and the silence was deafening, and oppressive.

Hana sighed, and headed for the small space that was hers, her mind on the words Fumi had spoken.

"'You're like us, you're here for a reason. Do your assigned task and do it well, and the demons will leave you alone.'"

But she'd already been taken to a time she'd never imagined, met people who live in a time of peace, in a unified country called Japan. It was hard to accept she'd been in a time when a healer, doctor, could see inside and tell the health of a baby. She was here for Kagome, and for her child. That was her reason for being here. When the child was older, would her reason for living here be over as well? Would the demons then become interested in her?

Shivering at the thought, she sat down on her bed, picking up one of the books Kagome had in her room in the future. She wanted to know if Masako and Anzai would make it.

Hiromasa watched impassively as Miroku and Sango rode into the village, Sango's eyes opening wide when she realized where she had been brought. He walked over to the group that had come in, giving them a terse nod.

"Good work," he said, keeping his eyes on the now fully revived pair. Ume, who was holding Eiko, had been riding a horse, and was now helped down by Kenzan, the Buddhist monk who had obviously spent most of his time in monasteries and was now having his first adventure outside the walls of the holy places. Ume ignored Sango's pleading eyes and walked towards a small hut to the right of where they were standing, disappearing inside. Sango had been trying to undo her hands for quite some time, and was almost free.

"I know this isn't the homecoming you wanted exterminator but homecoming it is. Maybe being here, in this place, you will come to your senses and know the demons you call friends for what they are. And you Miroku-sama, you still have a chance to purify your soul after being so close to evil."

Benjiro walked out into the clearing, his head burns bandaged and bright patches of new skin on his face.

The older miko, Namiyo, rushed to his side while Sango and Miroku watched, eyes burning but with otherwise passive expressions.

"Master, you should still be resting…"

"I wanted to come out and see these two," Benjiro said, his voice surprisingly strong.

"Eishi, did they tell you where we can find the demon?"

"They say they don't know, and I'm inclined to believe them."

"They know something, and we will find out what we need to do. Where is the child?"

"Ume has her."

"Know this, you will not be reunited with your child until you tell us what we want to know."

"We can't tell you what we don't know," Miroku said stepping forward. Eishi and Kenzan grabbed his arms. Miroku shot them both a look and they let his arms go, stepping back.

"You call yourself monks, priests, miko's, but you are so far from your teachings…"

"…and where does the Buddha condone consorting with demons? You traveled all over this country with known demons, looking for a sorcerous stone, for what reason?"

"I don't have to justify myself to you…"

"But you do Houshi. Master Benjiro was burned almost to death by the demon Sesshoumaru. We lost how many of our brothers and sisters due to an attack on us by this same demon. And then his brother tracked us until we found refuge here, in this place the demons don't dare come. And from here we will track and kill them."

Miroku knew there was no reason for either Inu Yasha or Sesshoumaru not to come here, and that if they hadn't pursued it was because they felt secure wherever they were. But he also knew these fanatics would never believe that, so he kept quiet.

"We are very tired, and need to rest. My wife needs to feed our child…"

"The milk will dry up. I will help with that. Ume will feed the child."

"She has a name," Sango said, stepping up to stand next to Miroku.

"Her name is Eiko," Sango said, her anger barely contained.

"Exterminator, one of the things we hope to accomplish is restoration of your powers, and your knowledge that a demon is a demon, and that your talents and knowledge can aid us in our fight."

"Come, you both are tired," the miko Namiyo said.

"There is food."

It was three days before Sango and Miroku touched food. The decided to eat after Eiko, who had not slept since she'd been away from her mother, was brought to them by Ume, who was at her wits end.

"I, she won't stop crying."

Sango took Eiko in her arms, and held her close, tears of joy falling from her eyes. Miroku, seeing with the clarity brought on by a fast, stared at Ume with what she thought were emotionless eyes. She had no way of knowing that for the first time in his life Miroku was seriously contemplating murder.

Rin, clad in a plain kimono, sat at her desk, her legs crossed at the ankle. She put her brush down and looked at the characters, a smile playing at her lips. Sesshoumaru was sitting at his workbench, working on a charm, his eyes fixed on his work, his hair falling over his face. He heard a small cry of triumph and looked over at his mate, seeing her smile at her success in writing. She was writing small haiku, not very good she told him, she wouldn't let him see them, but she just liked putting her thoughts down on paper.

It was late afternoon, and they'd been in here most of the day. Just like everything else with them, she'd followed him in here one afternoon, before they'd become lovers, and had taken a seat at the very desk she sat at now, picking up the brushes and instead of writing, drawing crude pictures. She had been about twelve human years then, and despite himself he had noticed her becoming a woman. When he'd first detected that she was in heat, he'd taken her to Kaede, who had talked to her about how to take care of herself during her monthly flow. Whatever Kaede had taught her had never left her, because he never saw any physical proof of her cycle even though he knew she had it.

He refocused his eyes on her, his face its usual emotionless mask, and she looked up from her writing and into his eyes.

"Are you going to let me see Rin?" he asked softly, not moving from the counter.

She smiled, and he felt himself smile back, seeing her still broken tooth from when the villagers had beaten her all those years ago.

"No Master, they're not that good."

"You share everything but this Rin."

She blushed, and looked down.

"You will laugh at me Master."

"I don't laugh at anything you've ever done Rin…"

He stopped in mid sentence and Rin followed his eyes as Inu Yasha came in, stopping in his tracks at the scene in front of him. Sesshoumaru was smiling, relaxed, and Rin playing coy, flirting with him. Sesshoumaru, seeing his brother, changed his expression to the one he usually wore for the outside world.

"Sorry…" Inu Yasha mumbled.

"It's all right. Come in Inu Yasha," Sesshoumaru said to him as if nothing had happened.

"I, uh, you wanted to go out and do a patrol…"

"Yes."

The moment was gone, and Rin rolled her scroll up, tying it closed, before picking up her ink pot. No servants here, this was just for her and Lord Sesshoumaru. There was a room off to the side where they would sleep sometimes, just to get away from things. There was fresh bed linen she personally attended to, and mats on the floor. The heat flowed into this room, and it was off limits even to Fumi, who knew of it but didn't know where it was. She'd told Sesshoumaru after they'd become lovers that he needed somewhere he could sleep and not worry about it being discovered. At that time he hadn't sleep in years. Now once or twice a year he would allow himself to sleep, and it was always here, always with Rin at his side.

Finished, she looked over at Sesshoumaru, who was wearing his poker face, his eyes watching her unemotionally. Without a word he turned and left, Inu Yasha right behind him, and Rin bringing up the rear. Once outside of this part of their home, the brothers turned to the left, where Sesshoumaru would change into his traveling clothes and armor, and Rin turned to the right, heading for her rooms. Fumi had left food for her, she hadn't realized she was hungry, and she ate in silence, her mind on the thoughts she'd written this morning.

"Sun reflecting on gold.

A breeze passing through sunlight.

You blink your eyes."

It was close to what she had wanted to say, but she didn't have the language yet to say how Sesshoumaru's golden eyes looked when he would blink. Most of what she wrote was about him, about his hair, his power, her love for him, his silences. That was why she wouldn't show him. He would think her a stupid girl, not the mother of two hanyou he was proud to call his own. She shifted her position, pouring herself some tea. Sometimes when he went out he would be gone two or three days, and he wouldn't tell her how long he'd be away, he never had. But she would know when he was coming back, her body knew, and she made a small noise in her chest thinking about their reunions.

Inu Yasha was the first person to ever come into the work area, and she'd been surprised that Lord Sesshoumaru allowed it. That space was theirs, not to be violated by the outside.

But these were not normal times, Taisho needed his father, and she could not stand on formality when it came to her son. Her Master trusted his brother, and she knew not to interfere with that. Their father had wanted it, and now it was happening.

"My Lady," Fumi said softly.

"Should I draw your bath?"

Rin looked up sharply, she hadn't heard Fumi coming, and Fumi stepped back, lowering her eyes.

"Yes," Rin said curtly. "And please remove these things."

"What color would Rin-sama like to wear tonight?" Fumi asked.

Rin didn't know if Sesshoumaru would be back tonight, or a week from now, but she decided on his favorite color on her.

"Rose."

Fumi bowed and left the room with the eating utensils.

Later, after her bath, and when Fumi had finished braiding her hair, Rin sat with a small lamp that ran on two little things you put inside of it, a lamp Kagome had called it, a reading lamp, Rin began to read a book of poems sensei had given her, looking to see if she could find the words to describe her Master's eyes.

Miya and Sada were in Miya's room. The two girls had become fast friends, and ate together every night.

"Did you meet Aki?" Sada asked, her mouth full of venison, something she'd never eaten before she came here, and now something she couldn't get enough of.

"Oh yes. He is sooo hot."

"I know. But he never talks to anyone," Sada said ruefully, shoving more food in her mouth.

"How long has he been here?" Miya asked.

"A little over a year. His parents were killed, and it seems Lord Sesshoumaru brought him here to be an assistant to sensei."

"I think sensei likes Hana," Miya said with a side long look at Sada.

"I do too. But Hana is always…"

"Working with us or reading a book," Sada said finishing up her meal.

"Those things she brought back with her from wherever it was she went with Sesshoumaru-sama. Joruri said Kagome-sama reads them too."

"I wish I could read better," Miya said. "Hana said Kaede taught her how to read, and she was going to teach me…"

"I think she's sad about being here," Sada said quickly.

"But it's her home now, and we humans do okay here."

"It's still being in jail. If we try to leave, to be with humans, they'll kill us," Miya said, bitterness edging into her voice.

Sada's eyes clouded over briefly, but then she brightened.

"I don't want to ever have to leave here," she said with a smile.

"Why not? Hana was here before, and they let her leave. Why wouldn't we be allowed to leave…"

Sada was looking at Miya with sadness, and Miya let her voice trail off.

"What happens to us depends on Lord Sesshoumaru. I don't want you to get your hopes up too high."

Miya finished her food and looked at her friend.

"I can never be happy about being in prison, no matter how nice it is. I want to go back home, to my family, to humans."

"Please, don't say things like that!! He hears everything," Sada said in a whisper.

"What?" Miya

"He's the Demon Lord, the Great Demon. He knows everything that happens here."

Miya began to cry, homesick for her parents, and her friends. Sada understood, and let her cry. She knew she had been assigned to Miya, and Hana, for a reason. She'd been here a little over two years, and had gone through what Miya was going through now. Later, when Miya was asleep Sada went to see cook.

Tomoe was a hanyou, and one that looked more demon than human. But she could cook human food, her human father had run a restaurant, and when she'd been run out of her village by those who were afraid of her, she'd been taken in by Jaken of all people, and been here as long as Rin had. Sesshoumaru wanted Rin to have someone to cook for her so that her time would be hers.

"Sada. Why the long face?"

"Miya is talking about running away Tomoe."

"Oh. I'm sure that she'll get over it."

"I don't know," Sada said, sitting down and watching as Tomoe closed up the kitchen for the night.

"She's really unhappy, more than I was, and even with meeting Aki and all."

"Maybe she's just homesick."

"I think she's gonna try and escape."

"I hope not. Maybe if I talk to Aki…"

"Tomoe, you do so much for us…"

"I fit here because of what I am. Lord Sesshoumaru is not someone who likes humans, you know that. If it wasn't for Rin…"

"I know. And he keeps us sealed up most of the time as it is. But, I like it here, and I'm learning now, and one day…"

Now it was Sada's time to let the façade drop, to let her emotions out.

"One day I'll be a real miko, and not have to be a servant to anyone."

Tomoe looked at Sada, a sad smile on her face. Sada didn't understand yet that a miko did serve others. When she did, she wondered how she would react.

Takeshi finished bathing, and dressed slowly, going over in his mind what he wanted to say to Hana. He had caught her looking at him once or twice, but she had never approached him. So today he would approach her, and hope for the best. Once he was dressed, he picked up a scroll on healing techniques from China he had found while he still lived among humans, and headed for her room. He found her reading from an oil lamp, her hair loose, and laying on her stomach so the meager light fell on the scroll.

"Hana."

She started, almost upending the lamp, and managed to smile.

"Takeshi-chan. I didn't hear you."

"I'm sorry to have frightened you Hana. May I come in?"

"I, it's a mess, I wasn't expecting anyone…"

Her hands flew to her hair, and she blushed.

"I'm not usually this much of a mess, it's just that…"

"You look beautiful."

"Takeshi…"

"Hana, I, I found this scroll on healing techniques from China I thought you might like."
"I've always wanted to go there, but it's expensive…" she said, rewarding him with another smile as they approached her reading area. She lit two lamps, already making up an excuse for when Tomoe asked her why she needed more oil as she did. Once Takeshi opened the scroll, and he began to read to her, she lost all track of time. They had only read one page by the time the oil burned low, but they were already more than friends now.

"I had better go. I have classes in the morning."

"A lot of people come to the classes," Hana said, her eyes soft in the now deepening darkness.

"Yes."

Takeshi could say no more than that.

"How is it you're here?" Hana asked. Takeshi turned white as paper, and looked away.

"I've been in service to the Great Demon for a long time Hana. My physically coming here was a natural progression of affairs."

Hana heard the emotion in his voice, and knew there was more to it, but that now was not the time to press it.

"Oh. I've only seen him once since I've been here. Scared the shit out of me."

Takeshi looked at her wide eyed in the lamp light. Had she seen the real Sesshoumaru, or his human form he wondered to himself?

"In true form?"

"True form? What do you mean true form? He was a scary guy with a crescent moon on his forehead."

"He is a dog demon Hana."

Hana stood in silence as Takeshi's words sank in.

"You mean, he can become…"
"He assumes the human form you see. He is a dog demon."

"Oh my god," Hana said softly.

"Pray you never see his true form Hana."

There was not much to say after that, and later Hana wondered if he would ever come and see her again. She was a miko, sworn to virginity, but here, in this place, having Takeshi, a human man, come and visit her had made her feel so much better. She needed adults she realized, needed someone like Takeshi she decided. And if that cost her powers, then so be it. Maybe then they'd be able to leave, and to live a life free from direct demon intervention.

Except that Takeshi was scared to death of Sesshoumaru, and he would have to be convinced to leave here. Dog demon or not, she was not afraid of dogs, or Lord Sesshoumaru.

Inu Yasha was sitting in a corner of the room, his eyes closed, and Kagome was at a loss at what to do to get him out of his mood. She'd tried picking a fight with him, plying him with ramen, even playing the music he liked from her time. But all he'd done was growl at her and sit in the corner. It was disconcerting for her to see his feet covered in the soft deer skin boots like his brother wore, but since he'd been here he'd worn them. Shippo had mentioned it to her, asking her why he had started to wear them. She'd had no answer then, and she didn't have one now. The Inu Yasha she knew was not a deep thinker, he did not take days to make a decision about anything, and seeing him in this contemplative state made her nervous.

"Inu-chan, please talk to me. What is it? Did that brother of yours ask you to do something wrong?"

Inu Yasha looked up at Kagome and looked away.

"No."

"But…"

Inu Yasha started to yell at her, but then he realized that she had no idea how seeing his brother the way he had today, laughing with Rin, disconcerted him. Inu Yasha and his mother had been thrown out of this very place by Sesshoumaru after the death of their father, and they'd had to rely on the sympathy of his mother's family for shelter. How many nights had he heard his mother cry herself to sleep after enduring the taunts and vicious remarks of family and help about her choice of his father, and to have him. How many times had he been called half breed, and worse, by humans who were family. It had been Miroku who had gently prodded him to respect his human side, to not think it a weakness and to abandon his quest to become full youkai. His mother and the family he had known were long dead, but he was sure that if he went back to that area some descendants would be there. If he ever went to that area.

He had hated Sesshoumaru for what he'd done to his mother and himself ever since that day, and only after the search for the jewel, only after they'd used the jewel to regenerate an arm for Sesshoumaru, and after first him, then Sesshoumaru, had used the jewel to transmit part of themselves into their human mates, assuring them life as long as they lived, life with no aging, that the possibility of being friends and not enemies arisen. But even with that, he had never imagined Sesshoumaru being, what? Normal? But today, walking in on them the way he had, it had been as if he'd walked in on them mating. Sesshoumaru had been totally relaxed, his face actually wearing an expression of happiness, something he'd never ever seen on Sesshoumaru's face. The fact that Sesshoumaru had found happiness with Rin, a human, and not a female demon like Yore, or any of his other demon lovers, shook Inu Yasha to the core. He was hanyou, he had human instincts inside of him. Sesshoumaru was pure demon, like his father had been, and had lived his life hating the human woman who had born Inu Yasha.

He had no idea when he'd started talking, and only Kagome's hand on his arm made him realize he'd been thinking out loud.

"So why does that trouble you Inu Yasha?"

"He threw us out of here Kagome," he said softly, something else that shocked Kagome. Inu Yasha had begun to speak like Sesshoumaru.

"If he had allowed us to stay, my mother could've been here where she was happy with my father the same way he's happy here with Rin. We wouldn't have had to live with what we did, and I…"

"Would never have met me."

Obviously that thought had never occurred to him, and he gave her a half smile, the tips of his fangs barely visible.

"Or Shippo, or Miroku, or Sango."

"No, I guess not. But it still hurts Kagome, that time…"

"I've never experienced prejudice, I've always fit in, except here, where I'm a human in a demon world…"

"And you're respected because of me and Sess."

"…but I read history, and I know that in my time lots of people are fighting for the right to be considered human and not black, or Asian…"

"Asian?"

"Japan is part of what is now called the Asian world. China, Korea, Tibet…"

"Oh."
"But the fact that people live everywhere and anywhere they want now, there is still prejudice, and I know it hurts."

"Prejudice. Those ugly attitudes have a name huh?"

"Yes."

"You should be happy for your brother."

"Why?"

"Because he has found happiness, and tolerance. Look at what he allows here, all because of Rin. Some people live all their lives and never find tolerance, let alone happiness."

It was hard for Kagome to sit down next to him, and he grabbed her around her waist and pulled her to his lap, holding her close.

"I know I can be a major jerk sometimes, but I always loved you Kagome. I just had to admit it to myself, and that it was all right."

They kissed, and Kagome rested her head on his chest.

"You're tired Kagome," he said, his hands clutching her hair to avoid his claws cutting any of it.

"I…"

"Rest here with me. You, and our son."

She closed her eyes and Inu Yasha heard her breathing change to that of sleep. If there was any reason for alarm he would know. Sesshoumaru had shown him how to key into the barriers that existed here, the big one that kept the outside world outside, and the one between humans and demons. He and Kagome lived on the demon side of the barrier with Sesshoumaru and Rin.

"You do have a talent for magic," Sesshoumaru had said in his typical dead pan delivery.

"I have talent period Sess. You never cared to find out," he'd shot back at his brother.

"Inu Yasha…"

Kagome's voice brought him back to the present, and he held her closer to him, closing his eyes but not falling asleep, listening to the sounds of this place, his home, as he did.

Sesshoumaru, in true form, sat in the shadows. An observant passer by would've seen a pair of red glowing eyes, and nothing else. His head was down, resting on his paws as he watched the scene in front of him. Jaken had told him Isas was in the area, and it had taken most of the night to pick up his scent, and track him to this place. He had rolled in an herb he knew helped mask his scent, and he kept his youki to the minimum required to extend his senses. Isas kept looking around, but thanks to the night he was well hidden. Someone was coming and he rolled his ears forward to listen.

Isas relaxed when he saw her, and she, expressionless, came to him. She was a beauty, and he hoped one day to mate with her despite their being from different species.

Ise was a fox demon, and her hair was reddish brown, her eyes yellow. For her part she knew Isas wanted to bed her, and she decided enough games, maybe she would.

"I can't stay long. The Demon Lord has spies everywhere," she said, glancing around at the dark. Sesshoumaru had closed his eyes when he'd scented her to make sure she wouldn't see him.

"The humans Sango and Miroku who traveled with Inu Yasha-sama and Kagome-sama have been caught by the exterminators. They plan to use them as bait to draw Inu Yasha-sama and Kagome-sama out. Once they have them, they think the Demon Lord will come after his brother. Then they will have them, and the way will be clear for real demons to control their lives, not ones who mate with humans," Ise spat, her eyes flashing."

"Sesshoumaru is dangerous Ise. He won't be tricked easily, and aside from his mate…"

"And his hanyou…"

Isas shook his head.

"Sesshoumaru has no love for humans, and you know it. There's a new player, Kouga…"

"That bastard. What is he up to now?"

"He's mated Yore, Lord Yukio's mother. He's in their den."

"Shit. What a move."

"And she's pregnant for him."

"That old hag is pregnant?"

"You haven't ever seen her. She is not a hag."

Ise wasn't listening.

"Let me guess, Kouga wants to be the new leader."

"Of course. Lord Yukio isn't exactly skilled at states craft, his own mother saw to that, so he should be easy to kill once Sesshoumaru does us the favor of getting rid of Akemi in the east."

"That old serpent won't be easy to get rid of."

"Don't be so sure…"

Sesshoumaru had scented someone else coming, a youkai, full blooded, and he slitted his eyes to see if what he suspected was true.

The demon was an old friend, a bull demon, son of his General, whom Taisho and Sakura had killed.

"Genjo-sama," Ise and Isas said in unison, bowing deeply.

"You started without me?" Genjo said sharply, looking from one to the other.

"Just discussions."

They brought Genjo up to date on the moves that had been made.

"You people handle that stuff. I personally will take care of Sesshoumaru and Inu Yasha, starting with those humans they call their mates. Once I kill the human women, in front of them, I will make sure those dogs die long, slow, painful deaths."

"We will meet again at the start of the new month. Make sure Kouga is here."

"We should go south to meet with him."

Genjo agreed, and fixed each one of them in his gaze before speaking.

"Yore is a master manipulator who killed her own father. Kouga doesn't know her well. She's gone through too much to let Kouga walk in and take what she's worked hard for all these years. She hid the fact that her son was sired by Sesshoumaru all this time, and she's gonna have new pups that will usurp his place? No way. Kouga will have to kill her, and Yukio, and anyone loyal to them…"

"The wolves are loyal to Yukio, and to Yore. Kouga cemented that arrangement by mating Yore. He is now the de facto head of all the wolf clans in the South."

"He must have a counterpart here."

"There is. Demon named Kaii."

Ise volunteered to go and meet with Kaii.

"Sesshoumaru is already working on Akemi, the place is in chaos from what I hear. Do this as soon as you can."

"I'm on my way," Ise said, disappearing, and leaving Isas and Genjo to watch her departure.

Without a word of farewell the two departed, and Sesshoumaru stood and stretched, shaking himself out.

Kaii knew he was going to be approached, Sesshoumaru had just come from meeting with him. He was no Kouga, but he knew if he joined the conspirators he was not long for this world. And Kouga was his already. It had been one of Kouga's people who had told Jaken about the meeting tonight, and that Kaii was going to be approached. He would tell Taisho to work with the wolf clans in the east, and without further ado took off for the north, where his son was staying with his sister. They both wanted to see their mother, but Sesshoumaru was not bringing Rin out until it was safe. Thinking about her sent warmth through him, but remembering what had happened the last time he had traveled and his mind had been fixed on her, he put her out of his mind as the rocky shore of Hokkaido came into view. He would spend a day here and then head home to be with Rin, whom he missed.

"Shit," he said to himself, shaking his massive head.

Rin was never far from his mind.