InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Early December ❯ Twenty Six ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If you don't know that Inu-Yasha isn't mine yet, I worry for your sanity.

Author's Note: Woo. Look at me. I am in the car and I am typing. Yea. (God, I hate long trips. . .)

So yeah, my lap top keeps jumping around in my lap, the sun's glare makes my screen hard to read, and I only have limited time to write due to my teeny tiny battery. ::sighs:: Oh well. . .

I hope you enjoy this chapter! XD

---

Chapter Twenty Six: The Ice Storm, Part One: What's the Matter?

Kagome's PoV

---

"Come on, come on, come on!" I usher Inu-Yasha sweetly; casting multiple worried looks over my shoulder. "Let's go!"

"What's your rush?" my mate blinks, mouth still full of Ramen as I all but drag him out of the kitchen and through the door, calling a quick good bye to my mother as I pry Sota's hero-worshiping hands off of Inu-chan's haori. "I thought your friends were coming over this afternoon for more shopping."

"I know," I mutter under my breath, allowing him to take my already bulging backpack (which has been filled to the bursting point with new baby supplies. No tickle-me-elmos, though) and shoulder it. "I know too well."

"Ahhh," he chuckles softly, taking my hand as we battle the cold winds that are blowing through the yard, heading towards the well house. "Running away, are we?"

"You would, too, if it was you," I grumble, jumping over a patch of ice on the ground as I take a moment to glance up at the overcast sky through the bare branches of the Goshinbuko. December has come in its frozen glory, frosting the ground with petrified rain and condemning all but the evergreen trees to months of bareness. The air is icy, the wind is chilly, and there is the promise of on coming snow hanging in the air. It's lovely, it really is, but I'm about to freeze my ass off. Sighing, I turn back to my mate, who is waiting for me at the door to the well house.

"Well, come on," he tilts his head slightly, confused at my slowness. "I can smell your friends already."

I smile slightly and nod, hopping over more ice as I make my way to him, taking his hand once again as- with a slight wince (my leg cramps gives him leg craps, if you know what I mean)- he picks me up and leaps into the well.

I can't help but exhale loudly in relief as I hear Yuka and Eri's loud, arguing voices near the door- just as the magic light engulfs us. Made it! Just in time, too. . . Love my friends, but I really don't have the energy to deal with them right now.

"Gods, we've been gone a while, haven't we?" Inu-Yasha murmurs as our feet touch ground on the other side of time. "At least two weeks. . . I hope no one's worried." He puts me carefully down, readjusting the bag on his back.

"I think they would have found some way to contact us if they were," I reply with a soft giggle, snuggling into my sweater, maternity jumper, and downy jacket. "Besides, they know you're with me. I don't think they ever worry when you're around."

"As they shouldn't," he sniffs haughtily, and I laugh out loud as he grins widely. "Now, let's go." He carefully lifts me up again (but not before checking to see if I have any bruises from traveling through the well. I honestly don't understand how he expects me to GET bruises from time travel, but I don't fight him. It's not worth it) and leaps over the lip.

I pout at the sky as, per my orders, he lets me use my own feet for a few minutes and stand next to him. The weather is just as bleak and dreary over here as it is in the future, and- - -

"Ow!" I yelp, jumping slightly as I feel something smack me over the head, taking me by surprise.

"Huh? What's wrong?" Inu-Yasha frowns, tightening his hold on my hand as I look up, now really glaring at the heavens.

"Something hit me," I reply slowly, confused. "Wha- - - ?"

That moment, another `something' hits me. And then one of the `somethings' hits Inu-Yasha.

"What- ? Oh. Hail," he shakes his head, a bit irritated. "Damn. Ice storm is coming."

"Joy," I grumble, just imagining the damage it was going to do to poor Kaede's hut and Sango and Miroku's house. "Well, come on. We'll need to help the others." `And besides,' I mentally add as I start off, walking down the trail. `The longer we stand around here, the bigger this hail gets.'

However, I'm so deep in thought and in such a rush that I don't register Inu-Yasha's hurried cry of "Kagome! Stop- - -!" until it's too late.

I walk right onto a huge, slippery patch of ice, just like a fool.

BAM.

My legs switch places with my face so quickly that I barley realize what happened.

I figure it out, though, when the pain sets in.

"Owwww. . ." I moan as the world spins and I try to un-crumple my body, I can already feel my mate's worried presence next to me, though he all but landed on his rump as well. "That hurt. . ." But not as much as it hurts when I try to stand up. "Crap. . . !" I hiss; clutching my huge belly as- what feels like- a jolt of electricity rakes my form.

"Kagome? Kag-chan, are you alright?" Inu blinks, voice chock full of concern and horror. It takes me a while to really hear him, though- his words going right through one ear and out the other. "Kagome?!"

". . . Huh?" I question dumbly, my mind still reeling. "Oh. . .yes, I'm fine. . . I just. . ."

I frown, feeling a moistness seeping through me. "I just think I need to use the bathroom. . ."

"Oh," he seems to relax slightly, but not before examining my wounds. (Finally, yes- I do have bruises for him to make sure aren't infected. Woo.) "All right then. Want to use the bushes, or wait till we get to the others?" He jabs a thumb at the dying brush near by, and I nod towards it.

"The brush, thanks," I confirm, and slowly (with Inu-Yasha's help), I make my way towards it.

But when I try to go, I find I can't. Not like I can't literally go- there's just nothing there to let out, if you pardon the vulgar language.

. . . ?

I can't help but scratch my head in confusion, trying to make sense of the situation. I don't need to go, but I feel so very wet. . .

My eyes widen as the only possibility hits me like a ton of bricks.

"Oh shit. . ."

"Kagome?" Inu-Yasha frowns, turning towards me once again. I can tell by his tone that he's completely shocked at my word usage. "What's the matter?"

I slowly turn my face towards his, feeling the blood rush away from my cheeks. "I think my water just broke."

-

Yes, we very soon discover, it had. It seems my fall had pushed me into early delivery.

Inu-Yasha is very excited, let me tell you:

"Dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit!" he curses rapidly, bounding wildly though the woods towards Sango and Miroku's house. "DAMMIT!" He growls in frustration and fear as the ice- which has grown steadily larger- continues to pound down on us. I can't help but allow a whimper to fall from lips as a particularly large lump whams into my shoulder, just as a tearing pain rips apart the lower half of my body. I know we're almost there- but it feels like it will take forever to make it. "Just hang on, Kagome," I hear my mate whisper as gently as he can, shielding me with his oversized red sleeve. "Just a bit longer, I swear it'll be okay. Sango's done this- you'll be fine. You're strong. It'll be okay."


"I know. . ." I whisper, tense and scared in his arms as I await my next, inevitable contraction. I think the waiting is worse than the actual thing- but not by much. "I know," I repeat, trying to sooth my hanyou ruffled's fur. But even as I say it, I have to wonder: `Will it be okay?' I know perfectly well how many women die in childbirth in this age. Inu-Yasha must know too. . . Fear clenches my stomach as doubts infect my mind. Sango's done this- she was okay- but. . . "I know."

"What is it you know?"

. . . ?


Both of us blink, temporarily forgetting the situation as we glance at Inu-Yasha's shoulder.

Guess who, out of completely nowhere, has just appeared?

"Myouga?!" I gape, totally taken aback. "What are you doing her- - -?" I cut myself off with a groan as a ripping, burning, run-down-by-a-cement-truck sensation terrorizes at my insides. The flea demon blinks at me.

"Kagome-sama? Kagome-sama, what's wrong?"

God, I'm getting tired of that question.

When I don't answer, the tiny youkai turns to face his lord. "Inu-Yasha-sama? What's wrong with your mate?" He is graced with a dry look.

"She's in fucking labor, that's what's wrong," Inu-chan snapped. "What did you think?!"

"Labor?! She's having the pup?!" Myouga gasps, eyes popping out of his head in shock. "Oh my! Oh my! Well, what are you waiting for?! To the village!"

"What. . . ? The village?" I pant, "But why? Sango and Miroku- - -"


"Are at Kaede's, along with Kaguya-chan and Shippo," the flea interrupts, nodded as he crosses his many arms over his chest. "Yes, yes- that's where you need to go!"

I watch through a sheen of pain as a vein pops in my mate's forehead. We briefly touch ground right outside our friend's house before bounding off again. "And why. . ." he begins quietly, voice silky dangerous before exploding. "DIDN'T YOU MENTION THAT SOONER?!"


I can't help but roll my eyes, knowing that Myouga was going to be getting a good squishing as soon as this was all over.

-

By the time we make it to the village my contractions are growing unbearably close together, my head is ringing, and Inu-Yasha won't stop arguing with the flea.

"But Inu-Yasha-sama, I- - - "

"Don't give me that, you stupid, pathetic excuse for a youkai! You knew where we were goin- - -"

"I thought you needed to get something or- - -"

"WOULD YOU TWO JUST SHUT UP!?" I bark, feeling sweat pour down my clammy face as we land on Kaede's porch. I know for a fact that my scream has probably alerted the whole town to our arrival, so I'm not surprised when Sango burst through the door a second later, a look of surprise on her face- - -

Which quickly turns into an expression of complete shock within one fifth of a second.

"Oh gods," she breathes before taking action. "Kaede, help!"

"What's wrong?" I can hear the aged miko question calmly as she shuffles to the door. One look at Inu-Yasha and I, however, and she instantly knows. Her eyes widen.

"Goodness. . . Well, don't just stand there, Inu-Yasha! Bring the girl in, now!"

I almost cry out in thanks when my mate does as he is told without comment, laying me down on the futon in the corner as Miroku, Shippo, and Kaguya look up from their stew.

"Huh- ? Gods, Kagome-sama!" the monk's usually calm, collected face brakes as a concerned shine overtakes him. "Are you alright?"

My eyebrow ticks. "Oh- yes!" I grunt as another contraction tears my body to pieces. "I'm just PEACHY."

He wisely takes that as a subtle hint and very quickly collects the two children before waltzing out the door shooting Inu a pointed look. The half-demon ignores him as Sango races back into the house, carrying a bucket of rain-barrel water in her hands as Kaede starts up the fire again, preparing to boil the liquid.

I only watch for a moment, though- instead opting to close my eyes against it all and try and keep calm- not yell out the `s' word so many times that I destroy the floor. Right now, everything is his fault. This pain, the weather, heck- even the time I got a C on my spelling test in third grade. I can feel him leaning over me, as well, and that in itself I find exceedingly annoying. The rational side of my mind screams that he's just worried, that he's trying his very best- - -

But the irrational part seems to be fighting tooth and nail to convince me otherwise.

And, I'm only half sorry to say, it leaks out before I can stop myself.

"SIT."

WHAM.

He just manages to avoid slamming into me, but still winds up embracing the dirty floor.

"SIT SIT SIT SIT SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" I cry, tears leaking out of my eyes as I feel the ground beside me quake and shudder. Pain continues to rip me in two, but I feel a bit better. I suffer, he suffers.

"Inu-Yasha," I hear Kaede's calm voice near my ear, "I think it's time for you to leave."

My blue orbs slowly open, just in time for me to catch him nodding. Then, when he sees my eyes are open, he smiles slightly at me. I can see in his amber pools that he's still worried, but in no way angry at my actions. It surprises me, to say the least, and I can't help but sob as he kisses me softly on the cheek, whispering that he loves me.

Dammit, I want him to be mad so I can be mad! And how can I be mad when he's being so sweet?!

I glare half heartedly at his back as he leaves and Sango takes his place, sitting beside me and linking out hands. Pushing my delirious thoughts from my mind, I try to concentrate on my best friend's voice. "Now, Kagome," she's murmuring gently as Kaede bustles around for herbs and a blanket. "Remember when I went into labor with Kaguya?"

"Yes," I force through gritted teeth, still doing my best to pay attention and release my anger at the world. "Yes, I remember. You almost killed Miroku. . ."

"That's right," she nods, a smile on her face. I stare at her for a moment- absorbing the calmness and warmth of her expression and actions. She squeezes my hand slightly. "But I was referring more to how you were there for me during the whole thing. Always so encouraging and happy. You have no idea how much I appreciated that. . .

So I'm going to do the same for you, okay? We're gonna get through this. We're gonna get through this together. You can do this!"

. . .


I bite my bottom lip and turn my face away as my heart thumps loudly in my chest. "I. . . I don't know if I can. . ." I choke, admitting the worry that had been plaguing me for quite a while now. "I'm not. . . not as strong as you. . ."

Sango cocks her head at me, her soft, chestnut-colored locks shining in the candle light of the tiny cabin as she lifts my hand and squeezes it. Then she beams, her magenta eyes glittering. "No, you're not," she whispers. "You're stronger."

I grip her hand tightly, unable to find my voice- both due to pain and sentiment.

"Well, Kagome, child," I then hear Kaede murmur from between my legs, which she had propped open without my notice. "Are you ready?"

. . .


"Yes. . ." I swallow, before forcing a wobbly smile onto my face. "Let's get this pup OUT OF ME."

- - -

Don't worry, we'll get more on Inu-Yasha and Miroku next chapter, when it's in our favorite hanyou's PoV. Also next chapter- WE FINALLY MEET THE PUP! XD

I know you're all very excited, so I'll update soon, kay?

Please R&R! XD

Ja ne!