InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Expect the Unexpected ❯ Apologies ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha…is this really necessary?



Chapter Fourteen: Apologies

The news was having a field day with the latest events in Tokyo. A real monster had attacked the city. Hollywood was already fighting over the movie rights. No one really knew what had killed the creature, but puddles of black ooze had been found spattering the streets, and had had to be cleaned up by chemical emergency crews. A few witnesses claimed to have seen red and silver out of the corner of their eyes, but no one could say what it had been, save one old man who claimed it had been a demon. People didn’t want to believe in demons, even if their city had just been so obviously attacked by one.

The old man claimed to have seen the demon carrying a young girl away from the monster, however, and the media was going crazy trying to find out who the young girl had been and what she might know about what had happened. Of course, many people also thought the old man might be a bit off. Officials were looking for the girl too, but for more than just the story of what she had seen. Something had caused a major explosion in the middle of the city and left quite a mess of rubble and black goo. They could hardly let someone capable of destroying a city block go about freely…especially if he were a demon.

Kagome and her family had decided it would be best if Inuyasha were not about to be seen by spectators. The shrine had been half destroyed, and there were people constantly about, so the hanyou had snuck down the well with Kagome’s promise that she would follow shortly. Kagome hadn’t been able to leave immediately, because the police were already watching the shrine. The monster seemed to have done the most damage to the shrine out of the entire city, and if the young girl who lived there had gone missing, the police might have connected her to the mysterious girl with the demon.

Inuyasha had not been happy about the arrangement of course, but he had eventually given in and left alone. Kagome actually wished that she could have gone with him. The shrine was a mess, and people were everywhere, gawping and revelling in the destruction of another’s property. The shrine was getting way too much attention now, and Kagome was finding it difficult to find a good time to slip down the well. More with each moment she wanted to.

She missed Inuyasha already, wanted to be near him. And of course, she wanted to be away from the chaos of the shrine. Kagome sighed. She wondered what Inuyasha was doing at that moment. Probably sulking.

***

Inuyasha grumbled to himself. If things weren’t bad enough, stuck on this side of the well, while Kagome was stuck on the other side, now the hanyou was stuck in the go-shinboku. He rubbed his head. The monk hadn’t needed to hit him so hard. That stupid stick he carried really hurt. It wasn’t Inuyasha’s fault the monk had chosen such a bad spot. Anyone could have stumbled by.

That brat Shippou was driving everyone insane back at the village, and probably would until Kagome arrived. That was just another reason why Kagome needed to be there…not that Inuyasha would let the brat take up her time or attention. Kagome was his, and no little fox was going to keep her from being with him. Grrrr. Where wasshe? He’d been here two days already!

Inuyasha jumped down from the go-shinboku and ran towards the clearing that held the well. He reached it and stared down into the dark depths, willing Kagome to appear. She didn’t, and he growled in frustration. He stalked over to the treeline and leapt up into the nearest tree. He leaned back against the trunk and watched the well impatiently.

If Kagome didn’t get here soon, he’d go mad, that’s all there was to it. There was literally nothing to do but sit in the damned tree and wait for her. Inuyasha wouldn’t have minded going out and killing a few demons, but the others were too busy…and he had to wait for Kagome. Inuyasha shivered. That monk thought he was so special…he’d see that he wasn’t the only one…

A rustling sound in the well caught the hanyou’s ears and Inuyasha immediately focused his senses to catch any sign that Kagome had returned. There was no sound at all from the well, and the hanyou sighed and relaxed against the tree. Kagome’s scent drifted up to his nose and he sighed again before realizing what that meant. He leapt down from the tree and bounded over to the well. Kagome stared up into his face, and Inuyasha’s heart nearly glowed. He didn’t notice the impatient look on her face.

Are you going to help me up or not?” Inuyasha started stupidly before jumping into the well and coming beside her. It was so good to be near her again. He had missed her scent, her feel. It made him happy just to feel her near him.

You took too long.” Inuyasha said quietly, barely loud enough for Kagome to hear. Kagome blushed lightly though and stared at the ground. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her, smiling to himself at her sigh, and leapt high up out of the well, carrying her with him. He landed gently in the clearing and loosened his embrace, but Kagome tightened her own hold on him and they stood together, just feeling each other’s closeness.

I’m sorry, Inuyasha.” Kagome’s voice was breathy, her head clouded by his intoxicating scent. “I couldn’t get away any sooner, or someone would have noticed. I really didn’t want to stay behind…I never want to stay away from you.”

Inuyasha sighed contentedly. Having her in his arms was all he wanted. He couldn’t care about some foolish humans in another world, or even the foolish humans in this world, while she was in his arms. “I never want you to be away from me, Kagome.” She didn’t hear the hanyou’s whisper, but he hadn’t meant her to. For now, those words were for his ears alone.

***

Kagome!” The near-shriek of the fox made Inuyasha cringe a bit, his ears flattening against his skull. The blur that was Shippou rocketed into Kagome’s arms, where he clung as if he would never let go. Inuyasha would be damned if the fox would hold on to her for much longer. He certainly didn’t want the brat getting in the way of their private affairs. Inuyasha smirked at that thought, but it also made him remember something less pleasant, and his head ached in memory. Grrr…damned monk.

Come on, brat, let go of Kagome. She doesn’t need you strangling her for attention.” Shippou gave Inuyasha a derisive look and stuck his tongue out at the hanyou. Inuyasha, for his part was very patient with the young fox. He hit Shippou lightly on the head. The other three hits hadn’t been so light, however. “Now get lost, you little runt. Don’t bug me and Kagome for a while.” Inuyasha smiled wickedly. “Why don’t you go find Miroku and Sango? They should be around somewhere…”

Shippou made a face. “Yuck! I don’t wanna talk to them! They’re gross!” Inuyasha flinched a bit, remembering himself. But Kagome was curious now, damn it.

Kagome frowned in confusion. “What do you mean Shippou? What did they do?”

Kagome, it was disgusting! I was following Inuyasha and…” Inuyasha put his hand over the boy’s mouth, muffling anything he had been trying to say.

It isn’t important, Kagome. Why don’t we go for a walk?”

Kagome gave him a sideways look, as if he were acting strangely. Well, maybe he was, but he didn’t want the topic to stray in that direction. There was no way he was giving away his secret yet. He gave the fox a kick, ignoring the whining protests, and ushered Kagome towards the forest, towards the go-shinboku. Inuyasha was very careful not to wander near the river.

Inuyasha, where is Sango? I haven’t seen her since before we defeated Naraku.”

Inuyasha, hesitated, searching for a way to tell Kagome. He really didn‘t want to talk about certain things right now. “Oh…she’s around somewhere…probably with the monk. Ever since Kohaku died…”

Kohaku is dead? Is Sango all right? What happened?” Kagome’s eyes were instantly filled with worry for her friend. Her questions surprised Inuyasha at first, but then he remembered that she hadn’t been back for days. She didn’t know yet.

Sango is fine. She was very sad when her brother died, but the monk helped her with that…” Inuyasha grimaced. Miroku had helped her in more than one way, and Inuyasha had rather not discovered the extent of his generosity. “Naraku sent Kohaku to chase the villagers, using him against his sister, as usual. But when a demon tried to kill Sango, he stopped it. He saved her, but Naraku’s minions killed him, before Sango could stop them.”

Poor Sango. Are you sure she is okay? She doesn’t blame herself, does she?”

Sango was heartbroken, but her brother was at least freed from Naraku’s clutches, and the monk helped her get over her despair. She is still sad sometimes, but everyone is sad when they think about the dead. She doesn‘t blame herself, and she is much happier now that it is all ended with Naraku. She‘s enjoying the end of Miroku‘s curse, too.”

Huh?” Kagome gave him a confused look. “What do you mean? I forgot about Miroku’s hand! The curse is gone! He’s okay now?”

Inuyasha smiled at the girl he loved. She was so kind-hearted, always thinking of others. “Miroku is more than okay. His hand doesn’t have a hole in it anymore…and he’s taking advantage of it.”

Again Kagome gave him an odd look. “What are you hinting at, Inuyasha? You keep skirting around the subject, like there’s something you don’t want to talk about.”

The mighty hanyou stammered shyly. He blushed slightly and looked at the ground. “Well it’s…that…just…Ummm.”

Inuyasha! Oh, Kagome, you’re here too! I haven’t seen you in a long time.” Miroku ran up to them and gave Kagome a hug. Inuyasha had not forgotten himself so much that he forgot to growl. Kagome gave him a glare and admonished the hanyou to stop being jealous.

Miroku, your hand is healed? The curse is gone?” The monk nodded vigorously, somewhat lacking his normal reserve.

Yes, the curse is gone! I no longer have to worry about my own hand swallowing me whole. I don’t have to worry about begetting any heirs to carry on my quest anymore.”

Inuyasha growled low. “Then why is it you seem intent on getting them anyways? And why can’t you find some place more private?”

What?”

I’m sorry about that, Inuyasha. I hope I didn’t hit you too hard. I was kind of…overexcited at the time, and I overreacted. It wasn’t your fault I guess…just be more careful next time.”

Next time! There isn’t going to be a next time, you perverted monk! If I ever see that again, I’m going to rip your heart out!”

Both of you shut up!” The two stopped arguing, mostly out of surprise. Kagome glared at both of them before focusing on Miroku. “What do you mean, ‘he walked in on you’? Miroku, you’re not still practicing that lechery are you? What about Sango? Haven’t you ever thought about her feelings?”

Miroku, gave Inuyasha a sideways grin. Inuyasha grimaced back. “Oh, I think Sango is rather enjoying the situation, Kagome.” Kagome looked perplexed, and Miroku gave a sigh. “Kagome, Sango and I have…umm…well, we decided that if you and Inuyasha could work out, then we could too. Sango and I have agreed to be together…”

Oh, Miroku, that is wonderful! I knew you two were right for each other. I’m so happy for you…Wait…did you say ‘if you and Inuyasha could work out’? What do you mean? What does he mean, Inuyasha?” Kagome turned, but the hanyou had retreated to the forest, and was nowhere to be seen. “Inuyasha?”

Miroku frowned slightly. “Maybe I shouldn’t have said that.” Kagome gave the monk a questioning look, which he returned. Kagome blushed softly.

I think I should go find Inuyasha.” Miroku nodded, and Kagome wandered off into the forest.

Miroku watched her go and shook his head. Inuyasha was strange. He could face down hordes of demons, with only a smile, but telling the girl he loved how he felt made him falter like nothing else seemed to. Well, the hanyou couldn’t run forever. It looked like his time was up. The monk grinned maliciously. The mighty hanyou would get what was coming to him once and for all.

End of Chapter Fourteen



-Chevalier